Navy Chief Resigns over Sindhuratna fire

The Military Issues & History Forum is a venue to discuss issues relating to the military aspects of the Indian Armed Forces, whether the past, present or future. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Re: Navy Chief Resigns over Sindhuratna fire

Post by ramana »

Admiral D.K. Joshi has done a honorable thing and kept the Indian Navy traditions of responsibility and accountability. He has shown unequivocally that the chief is always responsible. Hats off to him.

His action reminds us of Capt Mulla who went down in the INS Khukri rather than abandon ship.

Those who want post rumors of napunsak civilians and Ministers please don't sully the thread with such blige. You can in the GDF but not in this thread. Expect a one step ban for such behavior for not recognizing a honorable action when performed.
Will
BRFite

Post by Will »

With this accident the IN is well on its way to having a non existent submarine force :( . Someone needs to desperately and urgently take a decision on procuring new subs.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

KJoishy it relates to instituional culture. The Navy among all other services is a lonely warrior service as it fights far from shore in hostile environment and the captain, in this case the chief, is fully responsible. The crew has to have absolute faith in the leadership. Hence due to the faith reposed in the chief he is accountable to the crew, in this case the rank and file of the Navy. Hence he resigned.

The other services are not in same mind frame. Nor the civilians at all. Ministers are on different plane.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

very well articulated ramana ji.

KJo, for one or 2 incidents what you say is ok but when there's a string of mishaps a resignation says I did my best, it was not enough and I will not block the position but hope the next chief does a better job. in fact staying on would have been the easy option. there's no running away in this. it's not as if the navy as an institution comes to a stand still with Adm Joshi stepping down.
Shalav
BRFite

Post by Shalav »

Will wrote:With this accident the IN is well on its way to having a non existent submarine force :( . Someone needs to desperately and urgently take a decision on procuring new subs.
Breathless tabloid hyperbole, don't you think?

It sounds like something a newbie reporter in ToI*let would report.
Last edited by Shalav on 26 Feb 2014 23:06, edited 1 time in total.
Eric Leiderman
BRFite

Post by Eric Leiderman »

We should be retrofitting all existing surface and sub surface boats with water fog system, I have given links of this system in other naval threads (V,ditya) It is maafactured locally.
Freon is inert and non toxic, but when heated releases a gas called phosgene which is toxic.
It is also one of the most effective greenhouse gas many times worse than methane and co2
Hence it is banned in newbuilds
Lalmohan
BRF Oldie

Post by Lalmohan »

but it is very effective in killing fires (any anyone around nearby)
Prem Kumar
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem Kumar »

Admiral Joshi showed today that he is Admirable Joshi

More than the act itself, its the message that's important. It will hit home with all the commanders below him. If they have a sense of pride (which I am sure they do), the ones under whom these accidents happened will be racked by guilt. They will do their damnest to ensure the root cause is fixed. And when they go up the ladder, they will follow his lead in accountability.

This act is certainly not a gimmick (if he had resigned after the first accident, one might have said that he was shirking responsibility). But there have been one too many accidents. 3 strikes & you are out, as they say in baseball. Except he didn't wait for someone to show him the door.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

harbans wrote:
In emergencies, some compartments on a sub get sealed off automatically sir.
Just curious but in Sindhuraksha/Sindhughosh or even Chakra or Vikrant which compartments are sealed automatically in case of emergency? Fire doors with magnetic microswitches can get activated and close up but nothing that someone trapped inside compartments cannot open and exit.

These are finely machined, thick, watertight, massive pressure withstanding doors or rather hatches to the concerned compartments. They are expected to hold firm and maintain integrity in case of battle damage or sinking (up to the design limit depth and sometimes a bit beyond due to the factor of safety. They would be electrically actuated and "magnetic micro switches" doesn't even begin to tell the tale. These hatches would lock with huge multiple mechanical attachments into the bulkhead and would be stressed in both directions on either side of the bulkhead.

The damage to the sealed off compartment cannot be accurately assessed at sea and the sub is still underway. Their procedures may preclude opening the hatches or safeties may have tripped disabling the hatches. With the injured already being evacuated, the safety of the sub is paramount. I personally think that the two unfortunate officers may have succumbed very early into the mishap and the crew is aware of it.
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

Some months ago a knowledgeable individual predicted a crisis for the IN as a "chalta hai" attitude had crept in in recent times.He said that there had been a lowering of professional standards when compared with yesteryear especially when complexity and sophistication of naval vessels was increasing.Though there has been a huge increase in automation,making it far easier to operate warships and subs today,a legitimate Q may be asked,whether the same leadership qualities and dedication exists amongst the service today.

Mishaps are par for the course.Fatalities in accidents in the armed forces is only to be expected.Unlike aircraft,which have to be grounded when unfit to fly,warships on the other hand have to sail on regardless.Remember the Vikrant in the '71 war which fought with dodgy boilers? The VikramA/Gorshkov which even after her boiler problems occurred when on trials,still sailed on completing all her aircraft trials.

Nevertheless,some of the recent incidents involving IN warships and subs appear on the surface to have have been due to negligence.Grounding of ships and subs,collisions,etc.,could perhaps be attributed to poor seamanship.The other problems associated with batteries could be due to defective batteries or even SOPs being ignored.This may have been the case with the SRakshak which was being recharged and loaded with weaponry in some haste prior to a voyage.
The lethal gas inhalation by the crew ,a consequence of the fire is another issue,and demands a thorough investigation.Whether the same system aboard the Nerpa/Chakra exists on the Kilos.If so,whether the defects were rectified as was done with the Akula.But since we have operated the Kilos for decades without any major mishap until the SRakshak,why now? In recent years the IN has greatly expanded the number and scope of exercises with other navies.There are annual exercises with the USN,regional navies,MILAN,etc.Has this taken its toll on the safety preparedness of the IN's warships and subs maintenance wise?

While the good admiral has resigned as the buck stops with him,in the finest traditions of the service,it is clear that the problem was not of his making.If standards have dropped,then it is also the responsibility of some of his predecessors.He was perhaps just unlucky that it all happened on his watch.

PS:Don't expect AKA to resign for any reason whatsoever.His dereliction of duty is legion and hopefully,he will get his just rewards come the hustings,his party certainly will!
KJo
BRF Oldie

Post by KJo »

Rahul M wrote:very well articulated ramana ji.

KJo, for one or 2 incidents what you say is ok but when there's a string of mishaps a resignation says I did my best, it was not enough and I will not block the position but hope the next chief does a better job. in fact staying on would have been the easy option. there's no running away in this. it's not as if the navy as an institution comes to a stand still with Adm Joshi stepping down.
If he felt that he could not do a better job then he is, then I agree that his act of resignation was the best thing to do. In that case, if he stayed, he would be clinging on to power.
If this was not, then I feel he should have completed the job he was given rather than just leave.
harbans
BRF Oldie

Post by harbans »

They would be electrically actuated and "magnetic micro switches" doesn't even begin to tell the tale. These hatches would lock with huge multiple mechanical attachments into the bulkhead and would be stressed in both directions on either side of the bulkhead.
Indeed, but you were mentioning automatic activation in case of an emergency, that is why i asked. Electrically actuated from remote locations yes. Not even the torpedo room seals up automatically in case of an emergency.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

harbans wrote:
They would be electrically actuated and "magnetic micro switches" doesn't even begin to tell the tale. These hatches would lock with huge multiple mechanical attachments into the bulkhead and would be stressed in both directions on either side of the bulkhead.
Indeed, but you were mentioning automatic activation in case of an emergency, that is why i asked. Electrically actuated from remote locations yes. Not even the torpedo room seals up automatically in case of an emergency.
The discharge of the extinguishers would have triggered the automatic closure to contain and prevent the spread of the fire.
harbans
BRF Oldie

Post by harbans »

The discharge of the extinguishers would have triggered the automatic closure to contain and prevent the spread of the fire.
During the trial period the compartments will be manned. If the halon discharge is automatic something is wrong. Failure then is why when the people were inside the compartments was the system on 'Auto discharge mode'? Even halon based release systems are usually not auto discharge. They are the last resort when all other firefighting options to curb fire fail. It's absurd even if compartment is unmanned to release Halon and auto seal if there is a fire alarm. Even in the sub torpedo room. I doubt they've retrofitted such a system. If a faulty fire alarm triggers auto discharge of halon and auto sealing of even manned compartments there'd be dozens of casualties a year, apart from rendering important parts of the sub non operational at possibly critical war time situations because of a defective sensor.
Last edited by harbans on 27 Feb 2014 00:17, edited 2 times in total.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

text of the resignation letter via @ShivAroor

ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

KJoishy wrote:
Rahul M wrote:very well articulated ramana ji.

If he felt that he could not do a better job then he is, then I agree that his act of resignation was the best thing to do. In that case, if he stayed, he would be clinging on to power.
If this was not, then I feel he should have completed the job he was given rather than just leave.

Its not like a civilian throwing the towel and screaming "I quit!"

Its a conscious act of accountability when the top officer resigns for a failure under his watch.

Lal Bhadur Shastri was the last Union minister who quit owning responsibility for railway accident in 1958. That caused the system to look at the state of railway rolling stock and improved the system.

Meanwhile JLN, who is eulogised by hagiographers, made others take the responsibility (Krishna Menon) and set the fine tradition plaguing India.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

BTW, AKA lack of accountibility to the sorry state of military readiness will now come under public scrutiny.
Sridhar
BRFite

Post by Sridhar »

I am waiting with bated breath for the civilian leadership in charge of the defence services to resign (even though it would not be material at this stage of the Government's term). The hon'ble and oh so honest Raksha Mantri? The clean as a white sheet Pradhan Mantri? Let me save my breath.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Sridhar, Et tu?
harbans
BRF Oldie

Post by harbans »

under operational conditions i can imagine that auto fire suppression even with loss of life might be the best thing for the boat overall, but in training times it may not be the best way.
Auto fire suppression modes are applicable to sprinkler type systems and not halon release systems. It is disastrous to design automatic release of Halon based systems along with automatic sealing of compartments under manned or unmanned conditions. The most common malfunction alarm on board subs is the Fire/ Smoke alarm systems. Even if one uses Fire/ smoke/ heat detection combinations to activate fire suppressants in manned spaces, it would employ sprinkler kind of systems and not halon systems for primary auto activation. The halon release quantity on subs itself is dependent on compartment size. Banks of cylinders released for a specific zone say may be released on auto mode or manually the cylinders may be activated. This 'auto' operation is being misreported even by Naval sources as if the Halon systems are being released first shot on auto mode inside manned compartments and doors being sealed simultaneously. No sub can be designed in this manner. Not one.
Prem Kumar
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem Kumar »

ramana wrote:BTW, AKA lack of accountibility to the sorry state of military readiness will now come under public scrutiny.
Ramana: one can only hope. My fear is that the media will downplay the sorry state of defense modernization & will go witch-hunting against the Navy's professionalism. This will be actively encouraged by the MOD, to hide its own failings. China will, of course, rub its hands in glee, because their fifth columns like the Chindu will actively malign the one serious threat they faced - i.e. the Indian Navy. The U.S will offer its help in *all sincerity*. I hope the new chief is not a political plant, who might look into such offers favorably. There might be calls for fleet-level-reviews, which will give China & the U.S an opportunity to tail our boats from the port. Times Of India & Ajai Shukla will use this tragedy to pimp for more American imports - out of concern for the Navy sailor, of course
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

well most likely AKA and MMS will order more Onions to keep US factories flowing. But who knows. IN could have an Indian Railways moment and clean up. After Capt Mulla's death the state of sonar was put on priority and IN is second to none in the non-super power category.
Sridhar
BRFite

Post by Sridhar »

BTW, what would be the meaning of two officers being missing several hours after the incident? I am assuming that there was some sealing of the affected compartment, and the officers might be trapped there with their current status unknown. But why use the term "missing"? Or am I not understanding this correctly?
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

http://www.hindustantimes.com/india-new ... 88526.aspx
Navy chief DK Joshi quits as 2 officers go missing and 7 fall ill after INS Sindhuratna mishap
Rahul Singh, Hindustan Times New Delhi, February 26, 2014

Navy chief admiral DK Joshi resigned on Wednesday, hours after seven sailors suffered serious injuries and two officers remained "unaccounted for" in an accident on board India's Russian-built submarine, INS Sindhuratna.
File photo of Navy Chief Admiral DK Joshi who resigned on Wednesday in the wake of INS Sindhuratna submarine accident. PTI

The latest accident --- 11th after the INS Sindhurakshak sank in August --- has put the navy's dismal safety record under further scrutiny and underlined its inability to maintain its dwindling Kilo-class fleet.

Read: Navy chief, defence ministry were at odds over accidents

Joshi's resignation has been accepted by the government. A defence ministry spokesperson said he had stepped down taking moral responsibility for the recent accidents.

Navy vice chief vice-admiral Robin Dhowan will officiate as the chief, even though Western Naval Command chief vice-admiral Shekhar Sinha happens to be the senior-most admiral after Joshi's resignation.

The government will not pick Sinha to head the service as several recent accidents has taken place under his watch.

Read: Mishaps bring sub upgrades under the lens

The accidents under Admiral Joshi's watch had not only tarnished his track record as navy chief but also complicated his relationship with the defence ministry.

The ministry was upset with Joshi's inability to reduce mishaps. Much to the ministry's chagrin, the navy had been in a state of denial under Joshi and had even argued that its safety record was respectable, dismissing a few accidents as "non incidents."

Read: Navy may have itself to blame for series of recent accidents

Three months after the INS Sindhurakshak accident, defence minister AK Antony had asked the navy brass to "optimally operate" the country's assets and ensure these were not "frittered away." Joshi is said to have resented this perceived insinuation that the force wasn't conducting itself professionally.

Weeks later, admiral Joshi virtually brushed aside the minister's concerns, stressing that the navy's track record was "not that bad" compared with international navies. A rash of accidents that followed set off alarm bells in the ministry, with the minister giving a piece of his mind to Joshi on several occasions.

Read: In two years, Navy may lose sub-sea edge over Pakistan

The combined cost of warships involved in recent accidents is pegged at more than Rs. 10,000 crore, at a time when Prime Minister Manmohan Singh has advised military commanders to exercise prudence in defence acquisitions and "cut our coat according to our cloth."

Dismayed over a string of accidents involving leading warships, defence Antony had asked the navy three weeks ago to clean up its act, saying he wasn't satisfied with the force's functioning.

Read: Who is DK Joshi

The latest mishap took place 50 km off the Mumbai coast early Wednesday, while the boat was on a routine training exercise. A navy officer said the sailors became unconscious after smoke started to fill the boat and were airlifted to a naval hospital in Mumbai. Fire in one of the battery compartments, triggered by a short circuit, could have caused the accident, a source said.

Read: Following Joshi’s resignation, succession line-up goes for a toss

"The deputy electrical officer (a lieutenant commander) and the watch keeping officer (a lieutenant) are still missing. Compartments get sealed automatically when the fire-fighting system kicks in," the source said. Senior navy officials, including Commodore Commanding Submarines (West), were on board the submarine when the accident took place.

The submarine had undergone a refit at the naval dockyard in Mumbai barely two months ago, raising serious questions about the quality of upgrade it underwent.
A Q should be asked whether the increased exercises with international navies that has been a feature in recent times has meant shorter time for maintenance,etc. The sub fleet in particular has been truly stressed out with almost all the conventional subs long in the tooth,and the decades old subs-both U-boats and Kilos, undergoing refits and upgrades well beyond their normal lifespan. Our inability to maintain or upgrade Kilo class subs was best displayed years ago when we took apart a Kilo and like Humpty-Dumpty couldn't put it together again!

The dereliction of duty by India's longest serving defence minister who has known for a whole decade the crisis in the IN's sub fleet is also a shameful fact.His turd rate performance where every branch of the services is in deep trouble over timely replacement of obsolete equipment and has progressed at snail's pace over the modernisation of the armed forces,makes Krishna Menon look heroic.Truly it is he who should be quitting in disgrace,a total and abject failure ,a selfish,self-centered,self-seeking paragon of false "virtue",who has been more interested in keeping his dhoti spotless ,now yet again stained with the blood of those victims of his incompetence.
Vivek K
BRF Oldie

Post by Vivek K »

How does the lack of fleet enhancement come into this picture? This is the case of a modernized sub facing a mishap? Perhaps due to operational error or hardware malfunction. In a professional force, such events are analyzed, causes determined and solutions implemented to prevent such events from occurring. I hope ands believe that the Navy will display such professionalism. The Chief has taken the blame squarely on his chest and that is to be respected.

Why this chest beating and politicizing of a purely operational event? That the sub fleet is practically non-existent is obvious. Those criticizing US arms purchases must realize that the Sindhurakshak and this sub were both Kilos.
vasu raya
BRFite

Post by vasu raya »

Behind Sindhuratna disaster, a struggling Navy
Leaking gas from batteries might have triggered fire aboard ageing submarine: naval sources

Leaking hydrogen from batteries stored in the forward compartment of the INS Sindhuratna might have set off Wednesday’s fire which claimed the lives of two naval officers and injured seven, highly-placed naval sources told The Hindu. Sailors in the forward compartment battled the flames even while inhaling freon, a fire-retardant gas, from the ship’s automatic fire-fighting system, the sources said.

The two officers killed, the sources said, could not be evacuated in time when the compartment was sealed off to prevent the blaze from spreading.

Seaking helicopters were scrambled from Mumbai to evacuate injured crew. The seven sailors, who inhaled toxic gas, are now being treated at INS Aswini, the naval hospital in Mumbai.
Did they completely replace the batteries during the refit? and this new set has issues
Eric Leiderman
BRFite

Post by Eric Leiderman »

The sub in question had just had a refit, she was not modernised,
We have had a weak RM for over a decade, He has let the babus rule the roost, We see the end result of that in the operational prepardness of all 3 forces. He should have resigned after the tatra and VK singh saga. He is good at sucking up to the Italian t.t and that insures he looks the other way when needed, The blacklisting binge he has gone on make it impossible for our forces to get the equipment that they require, A strong RM would have been going after the people who took the bribes. He has only 1 month left good ridance to his blood stained dhoti

Lead acid batteries give off hydrogen when charging . in a surface vessel this is continously vented, What happens in a sub?
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

Question: Why in this time and age is a known threat such a danger? I would have thought that gathering hydrogen gas via a leak would have been detected and dealt with. ???????
vina
BRF Oldie
Location: Doing Nijikaran, Udharikaran and Baazarikaran to Commies and Assorted Leftists

Post by vina »

Now whether there was an actual fire or a false alarm triggered the fire extinguishing system will be known only later on analysis. The design defects of the Russian types with both the Nerpa and now Kilo class is becoming obvious. The Kilo fleet must be replaced ASAP. Roll the scorpenes out at the earliest.

And frankly whoever ordered the closing of the HDW line should be shot.Cant we reopen the HDW line with a modernized variant, maybe U 214 or something?
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

As i posted earlier halon or freon system is set into manual mode with security key number chain when sub is manned or underway. Indicates the fire was very serious nd as last resort it was started. The sub could be docked for a long time.

we r down to 8 kilos and 4 hdw max now

sub and arty are decisive weapons in short wars....there is surely cheen plus unkik hand in all past blacklistings
Cosmo_R
BRF Oldie

Post by Cosmo_R »

ramana wrote:Sridhar, Et tu?
We are all reaching the end of our tether....
Klaus
BRF Oldie

Post by Klaus »

harbans wrote: During the trial period the compartments will be manned. If the halon discharge is automatic something is wrong. Failure then is why when the people were inside the compartments was the system on 'Auto discharge mode'? Even halon based release systems are usually not auto discharge. They are the last resort when all other firefighting options to curb fire fail. It's absurd even if compartment is unmanned to release Halon and auto seal if there is a fire alarm. Even in the sub torpedo room. I doubt they've retrofitted such a system. If a faulty fire alarm triggers auto discharge of halon and auto sealing of even manned compartments there'd be dozens of casualties a year, apart from rendering important parts of the sub non operational at possibly critical war time situations because of a defective sensor.
This is exactly why there is a concept of "co-incident detection" using multiple sensors (Infra-red) in different locations. Also, there is an option to bypass this coincident detection while carrying out any 'hot work', at this time it is a manual operation (however it may not preclude automatic sealing of certain compartments altogether, which is where the possibility of a faulty sensor arises).

Additionally, halons/freon systems have been replaced by Inergen (Argon, Nitrogen & Carbon Dioxide mixture) at many surface ships, it should have been the case (more importantly so) in submarines.

Also need to look into the possibility of mis-allocated or misplaced EEBD kits and SCBA's
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Philip, The article you posted smacks of spin from Defence Ministry. Would you believe the Minister for Disarmament, A.K. Anthony and his minions how over the last ten years stalled and stole all they can and used every opportunity to cut and underfund every defence initiative?
Pratyush
BRF Oldie

Post by Pratyush »

when is the first scorpean due to hit the water. 2016 or 2018. entry into service will take another 3 to 5 yers after that.
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

After operating the Kilos for over 25 years,and the Kilo has been a very successfull sub design in service with many nations around the world ,more of the type being built for Vietnam and Russia too at the moment,let's not rush to hasty conclusions .This is the first accident of its type in IN service,that too during an exercise where the sub was being tested after a refit,where the commodore of subs -west and his team were reportedly aboard.We do not know what procedures were being conducted when the fire broke out.Was it a short circuit as some speculate,battery fault or procedural lapse? Since there are survivors,and the sub has not been lost,it has reached the naval dockyard, it will be easy to find out the cause of the fire/release of gas and identify the cause by an inquiry commission.Some reports say that fortunately there were no weapons aboard.

Secondly,both the Kilos and U-boats are elderly subs,over around three decades old and their replacements should've been in the water by now.The botched Scorpene deal where even the first has yet to be launched after several years of delay and massive cost escalation,the still awaited decision on the second line of subs,proposed long ago when Adm.Bhagwat was chief,shows that the cavalier attitude of the MOD lies at the root of the problem.There is a limitation as to how much "string and tape" can keep our aging sub fleet in service despite numerous refits and upgrades.After the SRakshak tragedy ,there was no urgent acquisition of new subs on an emergency basis.3 decades old Kilos cannot be kept seaworthy and battleworthy indefinitely.
It also calls into question the quality of the (two month?) refit carried out on the sub in the naval dockyard recently.

Some reports also say that Adm.Joshi was a hard taskmaster and his sacking of commanders of warships that were involved in recent incidents without holding an inquiry perhaps was too harsh.The safety procedures of the IN in the light of aging warships and subs,are also an issue that requires scrutiny.

However,it is the dereliction of duty by the MOD and AKA in particular which is the root cause of the woes of the Indian armed forces.26 yrs. on no new arty for the IA,no subs for the IN,no new combat aircraft for the IAF,but the speed with which 12,yes 12 new VVIP helos were ordered (now enmeshed in scandal),which even the US pres. found too expensive-acquired by us at an even greater cost.Plus orders for US defence eqpt. were made in indecent haste,which were never the top priorities of the forces,shows were the rot lies.Acquisitions have been slanted to favour vested interests,not the interests of the armed forces.Some even allege that interference by certain occupants of a Race Course Rd. bungalow in Lutyens' Delhi ,is a major contributing factor.

The worst PM ever will be joined in the garbage dump by the worst Defence Min. ever ,along with many of their scam-tainted colleagues,but who will clean out the Augean stables in the kingdom of "Babus" the MOD,who are also key contributiors to the crisis in the armed forces?

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/indi ... 062364.cms
The mishap on Wednesday took place when INS Sindhuratna had just begun its "sea workup phase" after undergoing a refit at the Mumbai dockyard from May to December last year. As part of the procedures, the Western Naval Command's commodore commanding submarines, S R Kapoor, and his inspection team were on board to test both the crew and the submarine before clearing it for operational deployment. In all, there were 94 personnel on board.

"The submarine was not carrying any ammunition. A board of inquiry has been ordered to ascertain the cause of mishap," said a senior officer.

But preliminary reports said a leak in the battery pit, which runs under the third compartment, could have caused the smoke to engulf the submarine. The submarine, in fact, was forced to surface after smoke was detected and the fire-fighting equipment kicked in.

"At sea in the early hours, smoke was reported in the sailors' accommodation, in compartment number three, by the submarine. Smoke was brought under control by the submarine's crew. In the process of controlling the smoke/fire, seven crew members fell unconscious. The submarine is now returning to harbour under its own power,'' said the officer.

Sequence of events

* The submarine was undergoing sea trials when fire broke out, prima facie, from the battery compartment and smoke engulfed the third compartment

* The incident occurred between 6-7 am when 94 personnel, including the two officers and inspection team, was present on board the submarine which was undergoing inspection at sea after a refit

* Sea King helicopters were pressed into action immediately after the Western Naval Command in Mumbai received SOS from the submarine. Meanwhile, other Navy ships, submarines and fast-track vessels were pressed into action to bring back the submarine which has not suffered any damage

* Seven sailors who inhaled the smoke were airlifted from the submarine and admitted at INS Ashwini hospital in Colaba

* Search operations are in progress for the two missing officers.
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/indi ... 061435.cms
Top MoD sources said Admiral Joshi was a "straightforward and honest officer" but "tactless" in dealing with the ministry as well as the media in the wake of the series of "accidents and incidents" that had hit the force over the last six months. "He was slightly intolerant of being asked by the MoD about the accidents," said a source.

The Navy has remained steadfast in its stand that only three of the dozen "so-called accidents" were serious enough to warrant attention after submarine INS Sindhurakshak sank due to a series of internal explosions at the Mumbai naval dockyard, killing three officers and 15 sailors on August 14 last year. "Only the mishaps involving INS Sindhurakshak, INS Talwar, INS Airavat and now INS Sindhuratna are serious. The Navy has removed three of the captains from their command. The other incidents were minor in an over-deployed Navy, but received a lot of negative publicity. There have been serious accidents in the past too, but nobody thought of resigning," said a senior officer.

Many officers commended Admiral Joshi for doing the "honourable thing". Admiral Arun Prakash said, "He has done the right thing since the buck stops with him. The tradition in India is not to own up moral responsibility. Most of the accidents were trivial incidents like a ship touching a jetty or a submarine being caught in low tide, for which a chief cannot be held responsible. Our politicians and bureaucrats should take a hint from Admiral Joshi's conduct."
PS:The statement about the IN being overdeployed,with too many exrecises with the USN and other Asian navies,leaving little time for routine maintenance and rest for crews, bears out my assessment that this is a key contributing factor as well.The IN would do well in the future to limit its ambitious international naval exercises until it sets its house in order.
Last edited by Philip on 27 Feb 2014 09:58, edited 2 times in total.
negi
BRF Oldie

Post by negi »

Admiral Joshi is a Submariner himself , he knows what he is doing . He made heads roll after the Sindhurakshak episode and now this .
chackojoseph
BRF Oldie

Post by chackojoseph »

Chalo it restores some faith that there was atleast 1 good person in Government in all these years.
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

A truly sad day for the IN.V.Adm. Sinha ,FOC-in-C Western Command,is also expected to resign.Shiv Arror right now is blaming the MOD,AKA ios also responsible for delays in key acquisitions,the MMRCAs,aging MIG-21s,IA's artillery for over 2 decades,the Scorpene delays,requiring patching up aging HDW U-boats and Russian Kilos.
All that AKA is saying is that he is "sad about the development"! remember how he covered his face with his hands hands when Gen.VKS told him about the Tatra scam and he kept his face covered about it for a whole year! As usual,the politico-babu nexus will find immediaite scapegoats in the armed forces,never wanting to be held equally accountable.
Vivek K
BRF Oldie

Post by Vivek K »

First let us get the details and hold off on the blame game till we know what the fault actually was.
Last edited by Vivek K on 27 Feb 2014 11:26, edited 1 time in total.
Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

deleted**
Last edited by Austin on 27 Feb 2014 10:48, edited 2 times in total.