Indian Army News & Discussions - 11 June 2014

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
Zynda
BRF Oldie

Re: Indian Army News & Discussions - 11 June 2014

Post by Zynda »

At around 1:32 min mark, can see a couple of soldiers carrying Ballistic Shields. Seems like finally ballistic shields are reaching to operating IA Jawans.

uddu
BRF Oldie

Post by uddu »

245 Women officers inducted into the Army in the last 3 years. What's the shortage in terms of number of officers in the Army?
wig
BRF Oldie

Post by wig »

http://www.tribuneindia.com/news/nation ... 20121.html

there is a move to ensure longer tenures to the Army Commanders(7), Corps Commanders (14) and Division Commanders (45) by tweaking the age and number of promotes every year

excerpts
The new policy announced on December 23 indicates that the Army has changed the sluggish promotion formula that dodges senior ranks. This in turn shortens the tenures to just 12 months at the level of the Divisional Commander, who is a Major General and has some 15,000-18,000 troops under his command. The same is the issue with the rank of Corps Commander, who is a Lieutenant General and gets only a 12-month tenure. This means too many changes.
With the change of policy, the annual number of vacancies of promotion from Brigadier to Major General will be curtailed to 33, instead of the existing 44. In case of promotion from Major General to Lieutenant General, the vacancies will be curtailed from 12 to nine per annum. This will mean officers will have longer tenures of some 18 months and also that relatively younger people will be promoted while others get sidelined.
In the Army, the rank of Major General is achieved by the age of 53 or 54, while the rank of Lieutenant General is on an average achieved by the age of 56. The target is to reduce this age profile by at least one year, ensuring longer tenures in top posts and continuity in policy-making.
The policy of having a minimum of three years of residual service to become a Corps Commander shall remain unchanged.
Prem
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem »

Prem
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem »

wig
BRF Oldie

Post by wig »

http://www.hindustantimes.com/india-new ... ZNbuK.html

new rules for top jobs set to alter army’s hierarchy,the required residual service from 24 months to 18 months for appointments as Army Commanders

excerpts
The lieutenant generals will now be eligible to take over the reins of two of the army’s seven commands sometime this year. What has thrust them into the reckoning for these top jobs is a change in the residual service clause for appointment as army commanders.

The person, who spoke on condition of anonymity, identified the two lieutenant generals as Ranbir Singh and Rajeshwar Singh. Until the rules were changed in December-end, only those lieutenant generals who had 24 months of service left could be considered for the post of army commander.
and
The army has, however, chosen not to amend guidelines governing the appointment of corps commanders (also lieutenant generals) who can go to become army commanders. To be eligible for the rank of corps commander, an officer has to have residual service of 36 months. For appointments equivalent to army commander in the air force and the navy, officers need to have residual service of only 12 months.

The army is also making efforts to stabilise the tenure of corps commanders and division commanders (major generals) by increasing it from 12 to 18 months.
Akshay Kapoor
Forum Moderator

Post by Akshay Kapoor »

Quiz : which is the emblem or insignia used by two arms and one infantry regiment ? Name the arms and the infantry Regt also. Bonus points - name the very slight difference in the use of the insignia in the above cases.

KS Sachin - I definitely want you to attempt this.
Akshay Kapoor
Forum Moderator

Post by Akshay Kapoor »

Karan - another link you will really enjoy. Others - do read this. Very very good.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/m.rediff.c ... 161208.htm
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

Thanks for these links Akshay. Really amazing reads.
This one is a crackling good read too.
https://improveacrati.wordpress.com/201 ... the-1970s/
These days there are ‘Surgical Strikes’ while in the 1970s it was just, lets say, Routine and none the wiser!

There was this Kumaon Battalion, newly arrived in this very same Sector, next to mine. Unfortunately maybe the boys were a wee careless and our friends across managed to knock down a couple!

Of course there was Hell to Pay! The Bde Cdr, the Div Cdr, even the Corps chap just could not have enough of the CO’s Balls! The unit sure was in the Shit House. It was difficult to see how things could get worse.

So one evening in the Mess, couple youngsters put up a Sink or Swim option to the CO who thinking that things could hardly get worse, decided to chance it.

You see one of their posts at a distance of some 1000yds was a wee lower and surrounded by jungle. This youngster led couple guys with a LMG to a spot very near their post from where on the drop of a white handkerchief, an MMG from our post would open up to cover the fire of the LMG which would inflict maximum damage before getting back under cover of the unceasing fire of their own MMG which would by now be receiving enough shit from all over.

Anyway whether you get it or not does not matter! Because the opposite side got it and the Real Enemy which is the higher ups of our own side really and truly GOT IT!!!

And the unit rose from the SHIT HOUSE to SEVENTH HEAVEN!!!
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

Akshay Kapoor wrote:Karan - another link you will really enjoy. Others - do read this. Very very good.

This is excellent. The men recounting their leaders & actual events makes for an entirely different and authentic take on issues.
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

Incredible men - why don't we have them in textbooks instead of useless old men in medieval Europe and what not.
What happened to these incredibly brave men after the war:

Lieutenant General Sagat Singh: Known for his innovative battle strategy, the general -- one of India's greatest military leaders -- is a rare army officer to be awarded the Padma Bhushan. He passed away in 2001.

Brigadier Kailash Prasad 'Tom' Pande: Was awarded the Mahavir Chakra for the 1971 War and participated in every battle India had fought up to that year. He lost 95 personnel at Mynamati and 45 at Dhalai.

He was wounded and fought for a week with his leg dangling, he told told UNI nearly 10 years ago. The battle of Dhalai was one of the hardest fought battles in the 1971 War.

He passed away in 2010.

Major Shyam Singh Bhatti: Retired from the Indian Army and lives in Jodhpur.

Lieutenant Sinha: Lives in Dehradun and looks after the Rapahel Home for the disabled.

Lieutenant General O P Kaushik: Fought in the 1962 War with China, the 1965 and 1971 Wars.

As a major general, on deputation to the home ministry, he raised the Black Cat commandos.

He has served on the Siachen Glacier, in Mizoram, Nagaland and Kashmir. His son is a brigadier in the Indian Army.
Akshay Kapoor
Forum Moderator

Post by Akshay Kapoor »

Karan M wrote:
Akshay Kapoor wrote:Karan - another link you will really enjoy. Others - do read this. Very very good.

This is excellent. The men recounting their leaders & actual events makes for an entirely different and authentic take on issues.
Just see what an offensive ethos and confidence does in the entire formation. A whole brigade surrendered to a Head Quryers platoon made up of singalmen , clerks etc. 3000 men dropped weapons in front of 12 and the India Brigade Commander (who did not have his fighting elements with him) had to don a major generals stars to take the surrender. IT CANNOT GET ANY BETTER.

All of BR should roar with pride.
Akshay Kapoor
Forum Moderator

Post by Akshay Kapoor »

Karan - re why we don’t have them in textbooks - our history has been systematically erased and we have been ‘de cultured’. And the tragedy is that as if centuries of this by invaders was not enough out so called own people did it after independence. Saragarhi is taught in French Schools but not in India. But an awakening is coming.

For now roar with pride.
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

^^ All of India should roar with pride.

What men we have.

And 99.99% of India will never hear of all this but read 400000 accounts of dandi march and this andolan and that speech.

I can fully imagine why the IAS/babugiri is so bent on keeping power away from people who do such unsung acts - soldiers in war, unpaid doctors in hospitals saving lives somehow.. what do they have to compare? sat for chai with falana politician and he/she smiled at me.
Akshay Kapoor
Forum Moderator

Post by Akshay Kapoor »

They (Babus) are rich and powerful and can get things done for themselves after retirement. They have a lot of clout. While Gen OP Kaushik has to file a case against railways for negligence and Capt Anuj Nayyar’s father has to suffer enormous degradation by the police to get the petrol pump the govt have him after his sons martyrdom. You should see the movie made on this episode. Gut wrenching.
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

This country has been wrecked by fatcat bureaucracy and politics of entitlement over that of selfless service.
nam
BRF Oldie

Post by nam »

I did even know of any Indo-Pak wars, until I finished year 10. I read about the wars from english magazines!

Compared to that there were pages after pages about WW1 & WW2 in our history books!
Akshay Kapoor
Forum Moderator

Post by Akshay Kapoor »

And I learnt all my history from Amar Chitra Katha. I remember reading about the 1948 war and Col Ranjit Rai and Maj Somnath Sharma as a small child and got inspired. And Rana Pratap and Shivaji and Velu Thambi Hari Singh Nalwa was my favourite.
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

Which is why our leftists loath ACK. Note the name. ACK is all about "intolerance". In reality, fellows like the author here are petrified that it motivates Indians to take pride in their culture and country.

https://www.theatlantic.com/entertainme ... sm/539838/

Anyhow, OT but I will always remain thankful to ACK and how it awoke even my interest in my own people as versus Readers Digest type tales of some blonde kid playing the bugle in the Civil War.
Akshay Kapoor
Forum Moderator

Post by Akshay Kapoor »

Last one on this - ACK was actually currency for us kids. We would exchange and barter. I have gifted a whole lot to my niece and my wife. My wife loves the ‘Braves of south India’ collection.
Akshay Kapoor
Forum Moderator

Post by Akshay Kapoor »

Waiting for some attempts at the quiz. Give it a shot Karan.
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

Ashoka Lion in all 3 services, and Bihar regiment?
chola
BRF Oldie

Post by chola »

ACK!!! Dad and mom brought over a few of them and my aunt sent a few too. LOVE THEM!!!

Raja Chola (of course) and Ashoka were two that I clearly remember.
ArjunPandit
BRF Oldie

Post by ArjunPandit »

Karan M wrote:^^ All of India should roar with pride.

What men we have.

And 99.99% of India will never hear of all this but read 400000 accounts of dandi march and this andolan and that speech.

I can fully imagine why the IAS/babugiri is so bent on keeping power away from people who do such unsung acts - soldiers in war, unpaid doctors in hospitals saving lives somehow.. what do they have to compare? sat for chai with falana politician and he/she smiled at me.
Karan this is where things are changing fast and changing for good.
Akshay Kapoor
Forum Moderator

Post by Akshay Kapoor »

Karan M wrote:Ashoka Lion in all 3 services, and Bihar regiment?
No.
Ashutosh Malik
BRFite

Post by Ashutosh Malik »

Karan M wrote:

In light of the above article, I would certainly recommending reading: "Leap Across Meghna : Blitzkrieg of IV Corps 1971" by Brig. Onkar Singh Goraya. (if not done already). Published by Creative Crows Publishers LLP

Details how Gen. Sagat Singh leading IV Corps and 101 Communication Zone, and his men including Brig. Tom Pande, Brig Kler, and others, made the capture of Dhaka possible. How they started from Tripura, how they captured various places, the unique Meghna Helibridge Operation that Gen. Singh planned, and even before that use of Helicopters by Gen. Sagat Singh at Sylhet, both ably supported & led by Gp. Capt. Chandan Singh (Later Air Vice Marshal).

Best regards.
ks_sachin
BRF Oldie

Post by ks_sachin »

Akshay Kapoor wrote:Quiz : which is the emblem or insignia used by two arms and one infantry regiment ? Name the arms and the infantry Regt also. Bonus points - name the very slight difference in the use of the insignia in the above cases.

Madras Regiment and the Madras Engineering Group - Assaye Elephant? Although for MEG the elephant is more a battle symbol and not used on the cap or belt. Perhaps as part of the ceremonial uniform?

The other option is the horse which is in the isignia of the EME as well as the Grenadiers!!

Army Aviation has the Garuda (I think) and so does the Brigade of the Guards and the IAF.

BTW call me Sachin
Akshay Kapoor
Forum Moderator

Post by Akshay Kapoor »

ks_sachin wrote:
Akshay Kapoor wrote:Quiz : which is the emblem or insignia used by two arms and one infantry regiment ? Name the arms and the infantry Regt also. Bonus points - name the very slight difference in the use of the insignia in the above cases.

Madras Regiment and the Madras Engineering Group - Assaye Elephant? Although for MEG the elephant is more a battle symbol and not used on the cap or belt. Perhaps as part of the ceremonial uniform?

The other option is the horse which is in the isignia of the EME as well as the Grenadiers!!

Army Aviation has the Garuda (I think) and so does the Brigade of the Guards and the IAF.

BTW call me Sachin
EME is not an arm. The question is 2 arms. You got Grenadiers right but the insignia ie horse wrong.

Hint - Of the two arms one use a word as their motto and the other used that word and a phrase as their motto.
Akshay Kapoor
Forum Moderator

Post by Akshay Kapoor »

Another hint - its an object and care is strongly recommended in its use. And the word is in your post :wink:
ks_sachin
BRF Oldie

Post by ks_sachin »

Akshay Kapoor wrote:Another hint - its an object and care is strongly recommended in its use. And the word is in your post :wink:
Grenade = Grenadiers..

But which other arm uses that?
Akshay Kapoor
Forum Moderator

Post by Akshay Kapoor »

Sappers is one - on the belt. Now find out their adarsh vakya and you will find the other arm.
ks_sachin
BRF Oldie

Post by ks_sachin »

Akshay Kapoor wrote:Sappers is one - on the belt. Now find out their adarsh vakya and you will find the other arm.
Damn I suspected the sappers but could not get a good look at thhe MEG belt used in their ceremonial uniform!!! The doopta does not have a emblem if i am not mistaken.

Sarv atra is tbeir motto.

Arty!!!
Akshay Kapoor
Forum Moderator

Post by Akshay Kapoor »

Tiger ! Well done. Madras, Bombay and Bengal Sappers all use different pagris and colours. But the corps colours are the same. And arty also has similar colours
Akshay Kapoor
Forum Moderator

Post by Akshay Kapoor »

https://flagspot.net/flags/in%5Earmc.html#rgart

See the similarity in the colours and flag. Btw the belt badge is always used both in the standard and the ceremonial uniform. No difference.
ks_sachin
BRF Oldie

Post by ks_sachin »

Akshay Kapoor wrote:https://flagspot.net/flags/in%5Earmc.html#rgart

See the similarity in the colours and flag. Btw the belt badge is always used both in the standard and the ceremonial uniform. No difference.
Noted. I know about the belt ceremonial came to mi d because of the distinctive MEG headgear.
However I am confused - Arty has no grenade in their insignia. In your question you said 2 arms plus inf regt?

BTW asked dad your quiz question just now and pat came the answer!!!!!
Akshay Kapoor
Forum Moderator

Post by Akshay Kapoor »

ks_sachin wrote:
Akshay Kapoor wrote:https://flagspot.net/flags/in%5Earmc.html#rgart

Noted. I know about the belt ceremonial came to mi d because of the distinctive MEG headgear.
However I am confused - Arty has no grenade in their insignia. In your question you said 2 arms plus inf regt?

BTW asked dad your quiz question just now and pat came the answer!!!!!
Great that you asked sir :)

The two arms are indeed Arty and ENGRS and the INF Regt is Grenadiers. Sachin has officially got the answer right.

While Engrs use a 9 flames grenade on the belt, arty uses a 7 flamed grenade on collars and other ceremonials - flags, silver and indeed their old insignias and flags. You will see it used in a myriad of other ways if you visit an arty Regt. In Other commonwealth armies arty use grenades in belts and caps also.

In the Indian Army in both Arty and ENGRs YOs courses the silver grenade is given to course topper.
Akshay Kapoor
Forum Moderator

Post by Akshay Kapoor »

Another Quiz - which is the only Regt in the Indian army which doesn’t use a lanyard. It’s an infantry Regt.
nam
BRF Oldie

Post by nam »

Ashutosh Malik wrote:
Karan M wrote:
In light of the above article, I would certainly recommending reading: "Leap Across Meghna : Blitzkrieg of IV Corps 1971" by Brig. Onkar Singh Goraya. (if not done already). Published by Creative Crows Publishers LLP

Details how Gen. Sagat Singh leading IV Corps and 101 Communication Zone, and his men including Brig. Tom Pande, Brig Kler, and others, made the capture of Dhaka possible. How they started from Tripura, how they captured various places, the unique Meghna Helibridge Operation that Gen. Singh planned, and even before that use of Helicopters by Gen. Sagat Singh at Sylhet, both ably supported & led by Gp. Capt. Chandan Singh (Later Air Vice Marshal).

Best regards.
Had the opportunity to visit the area with a family member who was deployed in Tripura and he told me about a corp that launched from this place.

Freaking mountains and thick forest! Incredible how a invasion was launched in such a place.
ks_sachin
BRF Oldie

Post by ks_sachin »

nam wrote:
Ashutosh Malik wrote:

Best regards.
Had the opportunity to visit the area with a family member who was deployed in Tripura and he told me about a corp that launched from this place.

Freaking mountains and thick forest! Incredible how a invasion was launched in such a place.
My dad was attached to 101..