Indian Army News & Discussions - 11 June 2014

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
ks_sachin
BRF Oldie

Re: Indian Army News & Discussions - 11 June 2014

Post by ks_sachin »

Shuklaji was an Armoured Officer - just shows
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

Two top UPA leaders planted the 2012 Indian Army ‘coup’ story, claim media reports
https://www.opindia.com/2019/02/two-top ... a-reports/
“No coup attempt was undertaken. The incidents and military movements that were termed as a part of a coup attempt were normal military exercises," the report in The Sunday Guardian quotes an IB officer as saying.
sudeepj
BRFite

Post by sudeepj »

Aditya_V wrote:
Lalmohan wrote:^^^ question for ballistics experts - IIRC at akshardham one of the problems that NSG had was that the pigs were outranging them using AK47s compared to the H&K MPGs; appreciate that its not a 5.56mm but the impression from reports at the time was that the AK47 was accurate to much longer ranges...?
That is pistol 9mm round , same problem was there for NSG in 26/11 and Pathankot. It's meant for 25m range engagements.
The subsonic 9mm round is good for hostage rescue, which was originally the NSGs purpose. It can be silenced effectively, has lower chances of collateral damage after it hits the person aimed at.. Whats not to like?

But taking out determined jihadis in Akshardham like situation which has long lines of sight is a different ballgame.
suryag
Forum Moderator

Post by suryag »

Each time I read about TSD and the treatment meted out to VKS and TSD subsequently my blood boils
https://www.sundayguardianlive.com/news ... igence-ops

Aiyaary was a great movie that showed this story
sum
BRF Oldie

Post by sum »

The only saving grace is NaMo came to power within a short while of this sheer treachery and so i have no doubt that baap of TSD is doing its duty currently which we might hear in years to come
ks_sachin
BRF Oldie

Post by ks_sachin »

All

I am looking for the motto of 3 GR.
I know war cry is Kayar Hunu Bhanda Marnu Ramro
"Better to die than live like a coward"

Help appreciated.
shaun
BRFite

Post by shaun »

suryag wrote:Each time I read about TSD and the treatment meted out to VKS and TSD subsequently my blood boils
https://www.sundayguardianlive.com/news ... igence-ops

Aiyaary was a great movie that showed this story
Check this ..

https://www.theweek.in/theweek/specials ... singh.html
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

AGDPI has released a posthumous tribute to Havildar Hangpan Dada, of assam regiment, home dist Tirap, Arunachal Pradesh.
died fighting 4 terrorists attempting to cross a pass

ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

jaysimha wrote:https://www.indianarmy.nic.in/writeread ... ar2019.pdf
Indian army calendar
28 gazetted holidays and 22 optional holidays.
Kati
BRFite

Post by Kati »

Dear BRFites,
Some time sensitive matter.
I have gotten few NRI folks lined up. ready to donate to help the martyrs' families.
Which fund is the most reliable one? I have the info about the Syndicate Bank account (South Extension branch, New Delhi). Is that a reliable one?
Also, can they contribute in foreign currencies?

Prompt responses will be highly appreciated.
jaysimha
BRFite

Post by jaysimha »

https://bharatkeveer.gov.in/

GUIDELINES
You can donate directly to individual braveheart's account (upto max of ₹ 15 lakhs) or may donate to the Bharat Ke Veer corpus.
To ensure maximum coverage, a cap of ₹ 15 lakhs is envisaged per braveheart and the donor would be alerted if the amount exceeds ₹ 15 lakhs, so that they can choose to either decrease their contribution or divert part of the contribution to another bravehearts account, or to the Bharat Ke Veer corpus.
Bharat Ke Veer corpus would be managed by a commitee made up of eminent persons of repute and senior government officials, in equal number, who would decide to disburse the fund equitably to the bravehearts family on need basis.

http://goidirectory.nic.in/sector_categ ... p?ct=ST027 all websites
jaysimha
BRFite

Post by jaysimha »

ramana wrote:
jaysimha wrote:https://www.indianarmy.nic.in/writeread ... ar2019.pdf
Indian army calendar
28 gazetted holidays and 22 optional holidays.
Along with them, all army important days are marked,, Like
4th Jan Army Day
15th FEB Corps of signals day
1st Nov Army Aviation day
itd. itd...

would appreciate if others are also identified and posted.
it would be easy to wish the corresponding corps people on that day.

Thanks in Advance..
Ashokk
BRFite

Post by Ashokk »

1 Army jawan dead, five missing in avalanche in Himachal's Kinnaur
SHIMLA: Six jawans of the Army's J&K Rifles unit were feared dead in an avalanche on the Sino-India border in Himachal Pradesh's Kinnaur district on Wednesday, officials said.

The body of one jawan had been recovered, whereas five bodies were yet to be traced, Kinnaur deputy commissioner Gopal Chand said.

The avalanche occurred at around 11am near Shipkala on the Sino-India border, he added.

Himachal Pradesh: Operation underway to rescue 5 jawans trapped in snow after an avalanche hit them in Namgya regio… https://t.co/hiRDziGHF8
— ANI (@ANI) 1550669603000

Several jawans of the Indo-Tibetan Border Police (ITBP) were also trapped in the avalanche. However, they had been rescued, Chand said.
Deans
BRF Oldie

Post by Deans »

I have a question on the Rashtriya rifles.
Are the men deputed to the RR, culled from the authorised strength of the regular army formations, or is it an additional resource available to the army, in addition to its regular strength. Thus if 5 RR is affiliated to the Jat regiment and half its strength comes from that regiment, would its Jat reiment companies be pulled out from a regular infantry batallion ? (in which case our infantry batallions and therefore divisions would be understength to the extent that it sent men for a RR stint. If that is the case, in a conventional war, would RR units move back to their parent formation ?
arshyam
BRF Oldie

Post by arshyam »

Have there been any further updates on the avalanche-trapped soldiers? Hoping they are safe...
ks_sachin
BRF Oldie

Post by ks_sachin »

Deans wrote:I have a question on the Rashtriya rifles.
Are the men deputed to the RR, culled from the authorised strength of the regular army formations, or is it an additional resource available to the army, in addition to its regular strength. Thus if 5 RR is affiliated to the Jat regiment and half its strength comes from that regiment, would its Jat reiment companies be pulled out from a regular infantry batallion ? (in which case our infantry batallions and therefore divisions would be understength to the extent that it sent men for a RR stint. If that is the case, in a conventional war, would RR units move back to their parent formation ?
Finally a question about the infantry!
Yes they are deputed - men and officers.
Jats like other inf rests have 2 RR bns. 5 and 34 I think.
RRs are maintained at full strength while inf bns will have reduced manpower as their men and offers are deputed.
Whole companies are not pulled out from the bn.
5 RR will have men from all Jat battalions.
Now all the 600 men of an RR is not Jat but will also have some on deputation from other arms like ASC etc.
In a full scale war I am not sure but I presume that inf bn at the front could have their strength returned back to normal. It all depends on what is being planned and the threat perception. For example the army may decide the RR grid system has to be maintained by the RR so that while we attack or defend there is little scope for militants to play havoc with our rear esp in the valley.
However that could be done by the BSF flooding in in which case if we reduce RR strength to build back inf bn strength then men will be posted back to their units.
The officers however may not necessarily go back to their parent unit.
nam
BRF Oldie

Post by nam »

I read in Lt Gen. Husian article that RR battalions are bigger than regular battalion. 1000 men.
arshyam
BRF Oldie

Post by arshyam »

Two days later, still trapped, not looking good. Bad weather also keeps hampering rescue efforts.

Kinnaur Avalanche: Rescue operations resume, 5 Army personnel still trapped under snow - OneIndia

Over 200 persons of Army, ITBP, local police and District Disaster Management are deployed in the rescue operation, said reports.

Heavy snow, rain and sliding of glaciers on Thursday hampered the operation to search for five Army jawans trapped in the snow avalanche near Shipki La on Sino-India border in Himachal Pradesh's Kinnaur district, officials said. Six jawans of the Army's 7 JAK Rifles -- four from Himachal Pradesh, one each from Uttarakhand and Jammu and Kashmir -- are feared dead in the avalanche that occurred near Shipki La border outpost around 11 AM on Wednesday.

General Reserve Engineer Force (GREF) and its machines could not reach the spot to carry out intensive search operation due to accumulation of several feet snow on the road, Kinnaur Superintendent of Police (SP) Sakshi Verma had said on Thursday.

The rescue teams were at standby as the area was lashed by incessant snow blizzards and snowfall, she had said. The Army jawans deployed at the Shipki La border post kept on trying to reach the spot by making efforts to clear the snow to carry out search operation, she added.

The search and rescue operation for the missing Army jawans was adversely affected as Pooh witnessed 4 to 5 inches snowfall whereas more snowfall occurred at Shipki La and its adjoining areas on Wednesday night, Negi said, adding it has been raining heavily at the spot since morning. The body of one of the Army jawans was recovered on Wednesday itself, but there was no trace of five others.

The deceased jawan was identified as Rakesh Kumar, 41, a resident of Ghumarpur village in Bilaspur district of Himachal Pradesh. Five Indo-Tibetan Border Police (ITBP) jawans were also injured in the avalanche. They have been identified as Belangeen, Rajneesh Kumar, Mohammad Ishan, Rambaran, Tele Tek Chand, Army sources said. When the avalanche descended rapidly down from the mountainside near Shipki La, 16 Army and ITBP jawans had gone towards the border post from Namagya in order to repair a damaged water supply line. While eight ITBP jawans were on the hill overseeing the water supply line, the Army jawans were standing down the hill, the sources said, as per a PTI report.

Six Army jawans were buried alive. One of them was rescued, but he succumbed to injuries subsequently. The Army has not issued any official statement so far regarding this unfortunate incident.
ks_sachin
BRF Oldie

Post by ks_sachin »

nam wrote:I read in Lt Gen. Husian article that RR battalions are bigger than regular battalion. 1000 men.
I
Stand corrected.
manjgu
BRF Oldie

Post by manjgu »

of what I have heard is RR men dont move back to their parent unit...they have their own tasking during war time ...
Rupak
Webmaster BR

Post by Rupak »

nam wrote:I read in Lt Gen. Husian article that RR battalions are bigger than regular battalion. 1000 men.
Regular infantry battalions have 4 rifle companies, in case of the RR they have 6 rifle companies.
ks_sachin
BRF Oldie

Post by ks_sachin »

manjgu wrote:of what I have heard is RR men dont move back to their parent unit...they have their own tasking during war time ...
Makes sense and not diff to what I surmised.
Bishwa
BRFite

Post by Bishwa »

Deans wrote:I have a question on the Rashtriya rifles.
http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/ARMY/unit ... ifles.html

This article should answer many of your questions
ks_sachin
BRF Oldie

Post by ks_sachin »

Rupak wrote:
Regular infantry battalions have 4 rifle companies, in case of the RR they have 6 rifle companies.
Rural Saar,
What are the additional rifle companies named?

Echo And Foxtrot?
Deans
BRF Oldie

Post by Deans »

Rupak wrote:
Yes, RR battalions have 6 companies, of which I believe 3 would be from the affiliated infantry regiment. If I'm not mistaken, a regular infantry
battalion has 5 companies including a heavy weapons company.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

there is a series of episodes on saragarhi from a tv series

Supratik
BRF Oldie

Post by Supratik »

National War Memorial ready.

https://youtu.be/tq8IyadwUBc
vishal
BRFite

Post by vishal »

Firing at Army camp in Kashmir's Shopian

Gunshots were heard at an Army camp in Jammu and Kashmir's Shopian on Saturday evening. Police were alerted immediately, who retaliated and fired back.

The area in Nagbal village's Imamsahib tehsil has been cordoned off.

According to ANI, sentry at Dachoo camp of 44 Rashtriya Rifles noticed suspicious movement and fired shots in the air.
wig
BRF Oldie

Post by wig »

https://www.tribuneindia.com/news/natio ... 38639.html

MoD okays Army HQ recast -Operation, intel units to merge | 20% officers to move out

from the above article
In the first major restructuring of the Army headquarters in the national capital, the Ministry of Defence is learnt to have reduced some 20 per cent of the officer posts, merged two weapons and systems procurement agencies and created a new post of Deputy Chief who will coordinate with military intelligence, operations and logistics wings.

Sources say Defence Minister Nirmala Sitharaman has taken the decision in line with the government’s resolve to make the 1.3-million strong Army leaner and fit for a 21st century war. A formal notification is expected anytime soon.

The new Deputy Chief will oversee strategy and operations, intelligence collation, conduct of operations and the movement of logistics. At present, the DG (Military Operations) and the DG (Military Intelligence) report to the Army Chief or Vice-Chief.
Also, the restructuring will merge the Master General Ordnance (MGO), who is currently under the Vice-Chief, and the DG (Weapons and Equipment) under a single vertical with the Deputy Chief (Planning and Strategy), which will be renamed Capability Development.
atreya
BRFite

Post by atreya »

From the above article:
The officers who will be weaned off the headquarters will be sent to formations.
At present, there are an estimated 950 to 1,000 officers posted at the headquarters.
Noob query - aren't these officers trained and experienced in their respective Arm/Service (AOC/Intelligence Corps)? When they are posted in a formation, I assume it would be an infantry formation, so do they undergo training again?
ks_sachin
BRF Oldie

Post by ks_sachin »

atreya wrote:From the above article:
The officers who will be weaned off the headquarters will be sent to formations.
At present, there are an estimated 950 to 1,000 officers posted at the headquarters.
Noob query - aren't these officers trained and experienced in their respective Arm/Service (AOC/Intelligence Corps)? When they are posted in a formation, I assume it would be an infantry formation, so do they undergo training again?
No.
This admin posting happens from time to time.
For example a Major May get posted as a DQ of a Brigade.
Depending on rank these offers will either go back to parent unit or regt or arm. These offer on reputation can be from anywhere - Inf, arms, AOC, ADA, Arty, Inf Corps, AEC etc.
Retraining would depend on there the offs was going. New Delhi to Siachen yes or the Valley yes but New Delhi to 54 Div possibly but New Delhi to Bangalore maybe not.
MeshaVishwas
BRFite

Post by MeshaVishwas »

Excellent interview of Lt. gen. Anbu by Gokhale Saar.
https://youtu.be/rlIu6lTHugw
Edit:@Adminullahs, please make this video appear in page viewable.
Also let me know how I can do the same as the YouTube tags do not seem to work.
Thanks.
Ashokk
BRFite

Post by Ashokk »

MeshaVishwas wrote:Edit:@Adminullahs, please make this video appear in page viewable.
Also let me know how I can do the same as the YouTube tags do not seem to work.
Thanks.

Code: Select all

[youtube]rlIu6lTHugw[/youtube]
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

https://twitter.com/ShivAroor/status/11 ... 3426766848 ---> BREAKING: Young Army (JAK LI) soldier on leave Rifleman Mohammad Yaseen Bhat has been abducted from his home in Qazipora, Budgam by suspected terrorists. He was on leave till the end of this month. Search on. Pray this doesn’t end like Lt Ummer Fayyaz.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

ANI

Verified account

@ANI
24m24 minutes ago
More
Defence Ministry: Media reports of the abduction of a serving Army soldier(Mohammad Yaseen) on leave from Qazipora, Chadoora, Budgam(J&K) are incorrect. Individual is safe. Speculations may please be avoided.
abhishek_sharma
BRF Oldie

Post by abhishek_sharma »

Aditi Patwardhan @AditiIndiaFirst
39m39 minutes ago

I’m informing you, with a heavy heart, that Maj Gen SK Sinha @SKSk785 passed away on 7th March, 2019. May his soul rest in peace. He was a wonderful person, and an outstanding, upright soldier. Jai Hind.
ks_sachin
BRF Oldie

Post by ks_sachin »

RIP Sir