Indian Army News & Discussions - 11 June 2014

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Re: Indian Army News & Discussions - 11 June 2014

Post by Singha »

18 Afghan army lady cadets in chennai for some training course

https://www.news18.com/photogallery/ind ... 73-11.html
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

Indian soldiers venting on Facebook: Are they failing the army, or has the army failed them?

https://qz.com/india/886111/indian-sold ... -them/amp/

by former officer of the Indian Army’s Parachute Regiment.
ArjunPandit
BRF Oldie

Post by ArjunPandit »

^^IMHO, this was bound to happen an army of millions people will always have bad apples. Better to sort these issues now than at war. I have full trust in IA rank and file across all levels. On twitter there are a no. of people who still stay in touch with the widows of their unit even after a decade and try to help them to the extent possible. It is near impossible to beat such a system. These are the people that make this great nation great!
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiThzJ4z2sU

Major Gaurav Arya’s Befitting Reply For Defaming Army Chief - A Soldier Speaks E03

kancha
BRFite

Post by kancha »

There does seem to be a deeply ingrained 'complex' in some folks of some other govt services against the forces. This gent in question seems to be an IPS officer, quite a young one by the way he looks.
I doubt these views are personal and not organisational, or at the very least, endorsed by atleast a chunk of folks in his organisation. A somewhat similar attitude was witnessed when the IPS Association went ballistic against the army in the aftermath of the recent Bomdila incident.
(Disclaimer: The last paragraph is a personal view!)
Btw, his twitter timeline (with replies) shines a great amount of light on his views
ArjunPandit
BRF Oldie

Post by ArjunPandit »

^^i have an IPS friend, he never forgets to quote me that "army was caught with pants down in kargil". While I dont want to base my opinion of entire dept or even him only because of this attitude. He's done many good things during his stint, wherever he's been, under tight state politics. Probably this is == or machoism or bravado
Just stating what's been my experience, take what its worth.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

ArjunPandit wrote:^^i have an IPS friend, he never forgets to quote me that "army was caught with pants down in kargil". While I dont want to base my opinion of entire dept or even him only because of this attitude. He's done many good things during his stint, wherever he's been, under tight state politics. Probably this is == or machoism or bravado
Just stating what's been my experience, take what its worth.
The respect, public trust and esteem accorded institutionally to the Forces by the aam jantha is a cause for many people to react adversely.

By choice, the one operates as far away from the politicos as possible while the other operates as closely as it can with the politicos, especially when not needed, take the sabarimalai dramatics and the dramatis personae as a very recent example.

the loyalty of one is dependent on the ever shifting and momentarily prevailing winds while the loyalty of the other is steadfast and unwavering with no interest for any wind. The discerning public sees all.

Usually, the popular perception and public opinion on the two entities are diametrically opposite.

familiarity often breeds contempt.

in parts of bangalore, kerala, the cops do not stop, check or issue tickets to aliens because "we get calls from the embassy". So Indians are fcuked by Indians in India and Indians are fcuked by foreigners in foreign where the Indian embassy just does not "call" the local cops.

aam janta इनके आरती उतारेंगे, क्या?
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

kancha wrote:There does seem to be a deeply ingrained 'complex' in some folks of some other govt services against the forces. This gent in question seems to be an IPS officer, quite a young one by the way he looks.
I doubt these views are personal and not organisational, or at the very least, endorsed by atleast a chunk of folks in his organisation. A somewhat similar attitude was witnessed when the IPS Association went ballistic against the army in the aftermath of the recent Bomdila incident.
(Disclaimer: The last paragraph is a personal view!)
Btw, his twitter timeline (with replies) shines a great amount of light on his views
This very view was JLN's traitorous view of his own Armed Forces as, no doubt, advised by his "police" advisors, including the wonderous vk krishna menon himself in the aftermath of India's independence and the paki army coups that followed in that land of the pure.

This great fear rules the body politic even today as slyly buttressed by the IPS and it was at the heart of shekar coupta's panic headlines when he accused Gen VK singh of attempting a coup.

these were the very same people and their "able" advisors who led the country down the disastrous road to defeat and ruin in 1962.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

in my days in a NIT , some of the foreign students would get involved in incidents of small fights, substance abuse, patronising 'women of the night' and while their desi buddies would get into trouble with the college admins and even cops would deliver stern warnings if caught loitering in red light area, they had a total hands off policy wrt foreign students as it was "home ministry issue"

one particularly bad lad from bangladesh exploited this loophole and became a minor goonda in his own right on campus and used to act tough on juniors saying that none could touch him.
hnair
Forum Moderator

Post by hnair »

ArjunPandit wrote:^^i have an IPS friend, he never forgets to quote me that "army was caught with pants down in kargil".
The pants of modern day IPS is rarely up and hence your friends' surprise at Kargil. We saw their abysmal failure during Mumbai attacks. If not for Naval operatives who returned fire, thanks to sheer luck, the events would have played out even worse. The recent Sabarimala fracas showed that an unshaven Ayyappa was far more sharper in tactics and guts, as they easily outfought these nerds who passed an exam but has a huge sense of inadequacy

disgraceful
JayS
Forum Moderator

Post by JayS »

ArjunPandit wrote:^^i have an IPS friend, he never forgets to quote me that "army was caught with pants down in kargil".
I hope he knows what people think about Police's pants or rather lack of it. Just see some of the tweets by the babus on twitter. So much venom against the AFs. A part of it of coarse is out of jealousy becuase they can never get the kind of respect aam junata gives to a fauji.

I hope someone dismantle the I*S babudom. I was hoping may be Modi will do it. But alas...At the least I expect that AFs be given their due position in MoD.
Prem Kumar
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem Kumar »

There is one trait we observe in people time & again. When someone has low self-esteem, he cannot tolerate excellence in others. He constantly seeks to establish his superiority via put-downs or attributing luck to others' achievements.

Then we have the Civil Services type "generalists" who think that, just because they passed an exam, they are an expert on everything under the sun. All they did was mug-up Hinduphobic literature to clear the exams. By the time they enter the civil services, they are filled to the brim with an inferiority complex & hatred for their civilization. No wonder they hate the Armyman who seeks to protect this civilization.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

JayS wrote:
I hope he knows what people think about Police's pants or rather lack of it. Just see some of the tweets by the babus on twitter. So much venom against the AFs. A part of it of coarse is out of jealousy becuase they can never get the kind of respect aam junata gives to a fauji.

I hope someone dismantle the I*S babudom. I was hoping may be Modi will do it. But alas...At the least I expect that AFs be given their due position in MoD.
The ministers smilingly turn a blind eye to such activities of their "boys".

Such hatred is not normal and nor is it pardonable under some misplaced "free" speech urban naxal ideology.

this particular guy should be traced and terminated forthwith. his tweets are venomous, particularly given that he is a "govt" servant.

OTOH, he may well be an imposter.
Vips
BRF Oldie

Post by Vips »

These politician ass licking chutiya IPS officers should be sent to active border's and see how they fare. Majority of these schmuks dont even fire from their revolver in the line of duty during their lifetime. They just give orders. B A S T A R D S .
Vips
BRF Oldie

Post by Vips »

Army recovers snow-stuck helicopter from Siachen Glacier, sets new record.

The Indian Army has created a world record of sorts as its pilots and technicians successfully recovered a helicopter which was stuck in snow at an altitude of 18,000 feet at Siachen Glacier in Jammu and Kashmir.

The helicopter was brought back safely to the Siachen base camp with the help of infantry troops deployed there.

According to sources in the Army, an ALH (Advanced Light Helicopter) Dhruv, on an air maintenance sortie at the 74-km-long Siachen Glacier, developed a snag and had to be landed around a post called Khanda in January this year.

The pilots managed to land safely on soft snow but could not reach the helipad there, the sources said. Though the chopper landed safely, the overnight snow resulted in its falling sideways. Attempts were made to recover it but there was no success till July, they said.

The attempts were successful in July when the technicians and pilots of the Army ALH squadron 203 in Leh managed to put new parts on the chopper and bring it back safely to the Siachen Glacier base camp.

“I know the pilots and technicians who were involved in this operation. Knowing these people as I have headed this Army Aviation Corps for a couple of years, all I can say is that nothing is impossible for these men from Indian Army,” former Army Aviation chief Lt Gen P K Bharali (retd) told ANI on Tuesday.

The chopper was stuck at 18,000 feet and recovering it from there is a world record of sorts because India is one of the very few countries in the world who operate choppers at such high altitudes.

The Cheetah and Chetak choppers, which are French-origin machines in the Indian Army, fly at around 23,000 feet.

The French military also doesn’t use them for such extreme operations where the margin of error is very thin.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

Vips wrote:These politician ass licking chutiya IPS officers should be sent to active border's and see how they fare. Majority of these schmuks dont even fire from their revolver in the line of duty during their lifetime. They just give orders. B A S T A R D S .
we just need to look at IPS like sanjeev bhatt and the others like the famous MAH ATS gang who knowingly framed innocent people.

There is a special provision to pull the tiny testimonials of these guys out of the fire when things get slightly warm for them and their shalwars start browning.

In the Forces, this provision is called "Aid to civil power", meaning the Forces go in to "aid" these guys who have thrown up their hands and declared that they just cannot manage the situation, often created by their own fantastic law and order management techniques.

Why is this provision invoked so very often by these masters of police leadership?? by these very paragons of superlative management techniques??

Since 1947, the Indian Forces have radically changed their very character from that mandated by a colonial and occupying power to one mandated by a democracy.

These guys certainly have not. They are still the colonial police albeit now serving brown sahibs.

They have simply shifted their profitable allegiance from their white masters to their brown masters. The aam aadmi still remains oppressed under them. You just need to see the behavior of any local/IPS to confirm what is the fact.
srin
BRF Oldie

Post by srin »

^^^^
Reading all the epithets for IPS officers in the past few posts, I wonder who is our enemy - those across the borders or ourselves ? It looks like AF vs IAS, IPS vs AF, and who knows what else.

How many of these epithets would apply to, say, an IPS Officer like our NSA ? How many would apply to, I don't know, the CRPF personnel who are fighting (and have died) the Naxals ? Aren't these guys also worthy of respect as protectors of the country ? DIdn't expect to see this on BRF, TBH.

Now, I haven't interacted with either IPS or IAS or AF officers to know the difference and I'm sure there are enough true stories of incompetence and corruption, but to go on generalizations like this, based on a heresay anecdote by someone is disturbing.
JayS
Forum Moderator

Post by JayS »

^^ This is not person specific. But rather on the organisation level, what people percieve them as a whole group. There are good and bad guys in all side. No one in sane mind would say all IAS/IPS are corrupt and bad and all AF soldiers/officers are cent percent honest and genuine. But the talk here is about the organisational ethos and the average characteristics that the respective sides have. Just have a look at some of the tweets coming from even the IAS association handle, let alone individual IAS or IPS officers which are mostly unprovoked. The venom they spew against AFs is unbelievable. In fact such kind of views against anyone would have been disgusting, let alone unacceptable.
jaysimha
BRFite

Post by jaysimha »

krishna_krishna
BRFite

Post by krishna_krishna »

krishna_krishna wrote:Colonel Sangram Singh, a Desert Scorpion of 10 PARA (Special Forces) and a legendary Maverick today breathed his last on 3:30 AM. A Shaurya Chakra recipient, he led multiple operations with one being a Black Op in PoK which broke the backbone of LeT. Om Shanti!

https://twitter.com/indiandefence11/sta ... 5427245056
rkhanna
BRFite

Post by rkhanna »

krishna_krishna wrote:
krishna_krishna wrote:Colonel Sangram Singh, a Desert Scorpion of 10 PARA (Special Forces) and a legendary Maverick today breathed his last on 3:30 AM. A Shaurya Chakra recipient, he led multiple operations with one being a Black Op in PoK which broke the backbone of LeT. Om Shanti!

https://twitter.com/indiandefence11/sta ... 5427245056
The Operation mentioned above I believe was the one where 4 SF operators stayed for nearly in a week in POK and then came back. Information on purpose of Tasking and what was achieved was never disclosed. But LeT has never been the same again
wig
BRF Oldie

Post by wig »

https://www.hindustantimes.com/india-ne ... j5QiJ.html

Panel recommends reserve force to cut down army size
The single-member panel of former Northern Army Commander Lieutenant General DS Hooda (retd), under whose watch the 2016 surgical strikes were conducted, submitted its report to the National Security Advisory Board late November.
excerpts
“One of the important points he (Hooda) has made is whether we need a 100% standing army (all personnel on active duty) or is it possible to have a reserve component like the Americans and Israelis do. He has proposed that a small component of combat and logistics units that only have a wartime role could be put in the reserve as an experiment,” the official, who is familiar with the report, added.

The adaptation of the reserve system, according to calculations in the Hooda report, could translate into a 20% cut in the manpower of select units assigned only wartime roles, he said. Hooda has not given absolute figures in his report. The reserve elements could come and train for up to three months in a year to stay war-ready, the report suggests.
on the use of Special forces
The Hooda report also talks extensively about the role of the army’s elite SF units such as the ones that carried out targeted operations in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir in 2016. The report has suggested reviewing the role of India’s finest commandos and assigning them strategic tasks rather than burdening them with tactical roles as is the case currently, the second official said.
Ashokk
BRFite

Post by Ashokk »

Army rescues 3,000 tourists stuck at higher reaches in Sikkim
GANGTOK/KOLKATA: The Army launched an overnight operation on Friday to rescue nearly 3,000 tourists from high-altitude areas in Sikkim, close to the border with China.

The tourists were stranded on the Gangtok-Nathu La road following a severe snowstorm on Friday afternoon. While 2,500 were accommodated at the barracks at 17 Mile military camp, the rest were taken to 13 Mile camp. The process to bring them to Gangtok began on Saturday.

“All the tourists were provided necessary assistance. Some had to be hospitalised and required oxygen support. Army doctors treated them and all are safe. There were no major injuries or casualties. The tourists were in 300-400 vehicles that got stuck and started skidding after the snowstorm,” a senior Army officer said.

Indian Army @adgpi rescues 2500 tourists stranded at Tsongmo lake, Sikkim near #NathuLa after heavy snowfall. India… https://t.co/7S0VKeCDpe
— Kuldeep Dhatwalia (@DGNorthEast) 1546065524000

Sikkim district collector Kapil Meena said nearly 355 tourist vehicles started returning to Gangtok from 17 Mile after the snow was cleared. Nathu La brigade commander Brigadier KS Dhadwal said the local Army unit swung into action after the tourists’ vehicles started skidding in the upper reaches. “All those above 13,000ft were brought down to 9,000ft. We ensured that everyone who required medical help received it,” he said.

“Had it not been for the Army, many of us may not be alive. The soldiers gave up their barracks and shared food with us,” said a tourist.
Shrinivasan
BRF Oldie

Post by Shrinivasan »

IA has Halaaled 300+ tangos this year in J&K... this DOES not include the unformed Jihadis killed on the LOC or further inland or even the non-uniformed who died at the LOC who body might not have been recovered by IA or carried back by others.. do we have a tracker for it anywhere in BR... I wouldn’t mind maintaining it regularly
Ashokk
BRFite

Post by Ashokk »

Border Action Team attack foiled along LoC, two Pakistani soldiers killed
SRINAGAR: A major Border Action Team (BAT) action has been foiled along the Line of Control (LoC) in Naugam sector of Jammu and Kashmir by killing two intruders who are "likely Pakistani soldiers", the Army said on Monday.

"Army foiled a major BAT attempt to strike a forward post along the Line of Control in Naugam Sector in the early hours of Sunday," an Army spokesman said.

He said the intruders attempted to come in by exploiting the thick jungles close to the LoC and were assisted by heavy covering fire of high calibre weapons such as mortars and rocket launchers from the Pakistani posts.

"The movement was nonetheless detected by the vigilant Indian Army troops deployed along the LoC," he said.

The spokesman said the fire-fight initiated by Pakistan was given strong retaliation by the Indian Army and the exchange of fire continued the whole night.Â

"Own troops conducted prolonged search operations in thick jungles and difficult terrain conditions to ascertain the situation, which confirmed elimination of two likely Pakistani soldiers and resulted in recovery of a large cache of warlike stores. The search operations are still underway in the sector to sanitise the area," he said.

He said it was also reported that a few other intruders managed to escape across the LoC, taking advantage of the Pakistani firing and adverse weather and visibility conditions.

"Intruders were wearing combat dresses like Pakistani Regulars and were carrying stores with Pakistani markings further reinforced the assessment. Some intruders were also seen in BSF and old pattern IA dresses as part of deception," he said.

The spokesman said the intruders were well equipped with IEDs, incendiary materials, explosives and a plethora of arms and ammunition.

"From the recovery, it was estimated that they intended to carry out a gruesome attack on the Indian Army forward post in Naugam sector. The alertness and resilience of the own troops, who engaged and neutralised the intruders, thus eliminated a likely treacherous attack on the Army forward posts along the LoC on the eve of New Year," he said.

Army authorities have applauded the courage and perseverance of troops, the spokesman said, adding the Indian Army's resolve to keep a strict vigil along the LoC and defeat all such nefarious designs of Pakistan will continue to remain firm and consistent.

"We will ask Pakistan to take back the mortal remains of deceased likely Pakistani soldiers since Pakistan did provide full covering fire support to these intruders," the spokesman said.
Supratik
BRF Oldie

Post by Supratik »

JTull
BRF Oldie

Post by JTull »

The fate of Future Infantry Combat Vehicle for Indian Army to be decided next week
The fate of the $8-billion (approx Rs 60,000 crore ) Future Infantry Combat Vehicle (FICV) project for the Indian Army which was expected to be decided last month is now expected to be sealed when the Defence Secretary, Production, Ajay Kumar will meet with the stakeholders next week.

Highly placed sources have confirmed to the Financial Express Online that “The meeting scheduled for December 12, 2018 had to be postponed due to the non-availability of the officials. They are now expected to meet on January 9 to decide the fate and the future line of action for the project, which is expected to come under the ‘Make II’ category in an effort to involve the private sector in the defence sector to get more active in Make in India initiative.”

Sources also confirmed that there are differences of opinion between the Indian Army –the user and the Ministry of Defence (MoD) which has decided to put the critical programme under the Make-II category. “The main issue, where there is divergence of views, is that the MoD wants the Indian Army to pay for this project,” said a senior officer on condition of anonymity.

Though the reason behind putting it under the Make II category was to fast track the process of modernising the Armoured Vehicles of the Indian Army, the chances now seem bleak this financial year, sources said.

If all is cleared during the meeting next week, then the Project FICV will go to the Defence Acquisition Council for approval. To be ‘Made in India’ it will have minimum 40% indigenous content.

As has been reported by the Financial Express Online, three companies including Mahindra and Mahindra, Reliance Defence and Engineering and Titagarh Wagons have sent their proposals to the MoD.

The potential Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEM) includes US-based General Dynamic, Russian companies under the umbrella of Rosoboronexport, and German Rheinmetall – subject to approval – among others.

Initially, the FICV project was approved under the strategic partnership model for the armoured vehicle segment was considered under the ‘Make’ category under DPP-2008.

In 2018, The Financial Express Online was the first to break the news that the FICV project will be shifted to ‘Make II’ category, which was later confirmed by the Defence Secretary at the annual presser in 2018, that the project was, moved to that category in an effort to fast track it.

Under the Make II category no funding is required from the MoD, unlike the ‘Make’ category, where the ministry has to provide 90% of funds up to the prototype stage. As per the Chapter–III of DPP-2016, the ‘Make’ procedure for indigenous design, development and manufacture of defence equipment/ weapon systems was simplified in 2016.

Later a new sub-category — Make-II (industry funded) — was introduced with a major focus on development of equipment/system/platform or their upgrades or their subsystems/sub-assembly/assemblies/components. In this subcategory, no government funding is envisaged for prototype development purposes, but there is assurance of orders on successful development and trials of the prototype.

Under the initial proposal of `Make’ category, the plan was to have three development agencies (DAs) – two from the private sector and one from the Ordnance Factory Board, and the MoD had to give minimum of Rs 500 crore each to the three DAs as per the procedure.

In 2016, MoD had has asked the Indian Army to seek a detailed project report (DPR) from all the contenders who had received the expression of interest (EoI). About 2,600 FICVs — high-tech complex vehicle programme under the ‘Make’ category —as 2,600 FICVs with a lifespan of 32 years, are expected to replace the Army’s old Russian-origin BMP-2 infantry combat vehicles by 2025.

The project which has already been delayed by a decade, got delayed further as `The Integrated Project Management Team (IPMT)’ took more than a year to seek detailed reports from all the companies as the MoD was unable to down select any of the companies who had responded to the revised EoI.

Explaining the process, a senior officer said that the Preliminary services qualitative requirements (PSQR) act as guidelines during preparation of DPR.

As has been reported by The Financial Express Online earlier, the MoD has been trying to announce the it’s final decision for some time now. However it could not happen due to various representations made by companies who have been keen on participating in the programme. Just when the government was about to make the final cut, senior leadership from various companies have been making individual representations to the MoD, thus causing delays.

A lot of issues – mostly procedural in nature were raised by the companies which delayed the project just when the former defence minister Manohar Parrikar was about to announce the winner.
JTull
BRF Oldie

Post by JTull »

Indian Army's Rs 60,000-crore FICV project stuck in procedural delays
A 10-year-old plan to acquire 2,600 future infantry combat vehicles for the Indian Army at a cost of around Rs 60,000 crore is staring at an uncertain future as it is stuck due "divergent views" among the stakeholders on its implementation, official sources said.

They said another ambitious programme to indigenously manufacture a fleet of modern battle tanks, christened as future ready combat vehicle, is also not moving forward due to procedural delays.

The sources said a scheduled meeting among top brass of the defence ministry and the Army to discuss ways to take forward the future infantry combat vehicles (FICV) project last month was postponed due to certain differences over the programme.

The FICV was first envisaged in October 2009 and the initial process was started months later. However, the process of selection of private companies, which could indigenously manufacture the combat vehicles, was withdrawn in 2012 and a fresh start was made in 2014.

Infantry combat vehicles are used to carry infantry into battle field and are usually equipped with anti-tank missiles and heavy guns. The Army wants the FICVs to replace its Russianorigin BMP-2 infantry combat vehicles.

"The original plan is to induct the FICVs by 2025. The way things are moving, it is unlikely that we will be able to induct them before 2050," said a military official involved in the project.

The project is witnessing inordinate delays when China and Pakistan are fast enhancing their military prowess along the borders with India.

Military sources said while China has enhanced strength of armoured resources by seven to eight times in the Tibet Autonomous Region bordering India in the last couple of years, Pakistan was bolstering its forces by quick modernisation of its tank fleet.

It is learnt that there have been serious differences between the Army headquarters and the defence ministry on implementation of the FICV project.

The private sector defence firms which evinced interests in the ambitious FICV project included Mahindra and Mahindra, Reliance Defence, L and T, Tata Motors and Bharat Forge Ltd.

According to the original proposal, the FICV were to be manufactured under the 'Make (high tech) category' of the Defence Procurement Procedure (DPP).

Under this plan, the government was to select state-run Ordnance Factory Board and two other private firms for separately developing prototypes of the FICVs. A total of around Rs 3,000 crore was to be spent on developing the prototypes by each of the three firms, the sources said.

They said the plan was that the government would bear 80 per cent of the total cost of developing the prototypes and the individual firms would contribute the remaining 20 per cent.

The then Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar was also favouring the model, the sources said. However, last year a major defence manufacturer offered to develop the prototypes under the Make II category of the DPP in which no government funding is required for developing the prototype, said the sources.

They said the offer has made certain sections in the defence ministry to examine the option as it will result in saving of huge amount of financial resources.

The sources said there has been another view in the military establishment that if the company was interested in making the prototype under Make II category, then why did it not make the offer earlier.

"At the moment, the project is going nowhere. The Army does not want it under Make II category as it will further delay the project," said another official involved in the project.

The delay in the decision making process has also been attributed to a complaint filed with the defence ministry by one of the short-listed private firms.

The sources said the Army wants the FICVs as soon as possible as both China and Pakistan were significantly enhancing their border infrastructure.

They said the Army was particularly concerned over China deploying light tanks along certain sensitive sectors along the nearly 4,000 km border.

Last year, the Army invited proposals from domestic and foreign firms for designing a future ready combat vehicle (FRCV), ostensibly to replace the existing T-72 tanks in the Armoured Corps.
VinodTK
BRF Oldie

Post by VinodTK »

Indian Army Dilemma: ‘Cold Start’ or No Start?
Persistent rumors the Pakistan Army is about to launch a cross-border "surgical strike" across the Line of Control (LoC) in Jammu and Kashmir (J&K) to maul the Indian Army is again raising the question as to how the Indian Army will respond to this assault.

Could the Indian Army's answer be "Cold Start?"

A limited war doctrine developed by the Indian Armed Forces in the event of a war with Pakistan, Cold Start's goal is to create conditions that will allow the Indian Army to launch massive all-arms counterattacks against the invading Pakistan Army. Another aim of Cold Start will be to deny Pakistan a pretext for using tactical nuclear missiles on the battlefield.

In Cold Start, Indian Army "pivot corps" backed by other conventional forces will strive to hold the line against tank-led attacks by the Pakistan Army across J&K. Buying time with Indian blood will enable counterattacks by Indian Army all-arms Integrated Battle Groups (IBGs) along with other fighting units of the Indian Armed Forces, especially the Air Force. These counterattacks are expected to take place within 48 to 72 hours.

But wait! How can Cold Start attain these grand aims when it doesn't exist? At least, that's what former Chief of Army Staff (COAS) from 2010 to 2012 General V.K. Singh said when he held this post.

Gen. Singh asserted there "is nothing called 'Cold Start'. As part of our overall strategy, we have a number of contingencies and options, depending on what the aggressor does. In recent years, we have been improving our systems with respect to mobilization, but our basic military posture is defensive."

Gen. Singh, however, was later contradicted by the current COAS Gen. Bipin Rawat, who admitted the existence of Cold Start.

"The Cold Start doctrine exists for conventional military operations," affirmed Gen. Rawat. "Whether we have to conduct conventional operations for such strikes is a decision well thought through, involving the government and the Cabinet Committee on Security."

To confuse matters further, there's the Indian Army's three other doctrines: the new "Land Warfare Doctrine;" the COINOPS (Counter Insurgency Operations) doctrine and the Joint Doctrine of the Indian Armed Forces released in 2017.

The Land Warfare Doctrine focuses on the ABCs of the land war against Pakistan. The Army sees its IBGs supplementing the combat power of the pivot corps along the LoC. It intends that within 72 hours after the start of the war, IBGs and the pivot corps will penetrate three to five kilometers into Pakistani territory. Meanwhile, three strike corps will reinforce the success of the IBGs and pivot corps.

Which of these four doctrines will the Indian Armed Forces resort to when the shooting starts?
VinodTK
BRF Oldie

Post by VinodTK »

Indian Army’s bulletproof jackets set to be delivered
:
:
The Indian vendor is reported to be specialist bulletproof solutions company SMPP. The jackets are designed ergonomically and will be capable of providing 360° protection to soldiers from latest hard steel core bullets in combat scenarios.

The capital procurement contract was signed under the ‘Make in India’ initiative in April 2018.

According to media sources, the standard for jackets and helmets used by the Indian Armed Forces is based on US National Institute of Justice (NIJ) level III+.
:
:
souravB
BRFite

Post by souravB »

Great to see ADGPI producing great quality videos of our jawans.
Nice recruitment videos for the adventurous.
ArjunPandit
BRF Oldie

Post by ArjunPandit »

IA procuring sniper rifles through emergency route. While i like the purchase, i do not believe this is the right strategy to tackle paki threat. We should escalate, because that is in our favour through arti and mortar. All this sniping business just following their plan. The problem is how many officers we will catch with sniper. May be I am too hot headed or have been too much of seeing paki activities for long
ks_sachin
BRF Oldie

Post by ks_sachin »

ArjunPandit wrote:IA procuring sniper rifles through emergency route. While i like the purchase, i do not believe this is the right strategy to tackle paki threat. We should escalate, because that is in our favour through arti and mortar. All this sniping business just following their plan. The problem is how many officers we will catch with sniper. May be I am too hot headed or have been too much of seeing paki activities for long
Escalating with mortar and arty all the time is expensive and takes time.
Sniping provides for flexibility and greater psychological impact.
Targets of opportunity present themselves across the loc which has a huge impact on the men.
Khalsa
BRFite

Post by Khalsa »

Army Major, soldier killed in IED blast along LoC in J&K’s Rajouri

An improvised explosive device was planted by suspected militants on a foot-track along the LoC to target Army soldiers patrolling the borderline in Laam belt of Nowshera sector of Rajouri district, they said.

https://www.tribuneindia.com/news/jammu ... 12234.html
Vips
BRF Oldie

Post by Vips »

Army goes for emergency purchase of some advanced sniper rifles for troops deployed at LOC.

The Army has gone in for an emergency purchase of a very small number of advanced sniper rifles, with longer ranges as well as modern telescopic sights, for troops deployed along the Line of Control with Pakistan.

The new sniper rifles, Beretta’s .338 Lapua Magnum Scorpio TGT and Barrett’s .50-calibre M95 guns, which have an effective kill range from
1,500 to 1,800 metres, are being purchased under the Northern Army Command chief’s emergency financial powers
. “The rifles should arrive soon,”said an officer.

The larger “capital procurement” of 5,719 new 8.6mm sniper rifles to equip all the 382 infantry battalions in the over 12-lakh strong Army – each unit is authorized 10 sniper rifles – will however take another couple of years.

Sniping is posing a major operational challenge for Indian troops along the 778-km long LoC, with Pakistan Army soldiers equipped with modern Remington modular sniper rifles as well as better training, as was reported earlier by TOI.

Indian infantry soldiers, in contrast, are saddled with Russian-origin 7.62mm Dragunov semi-automatic sniper rifles, which have a “limited” kill range of 800-metre and a design vintage of the 1960s. In the absence of Picatinny rails, the Dragunov rifles are also incompatible with several modern essential accessories like magnification and sight systems.

The Army’s Para-Special Forces units, already equipped with advanced sniper rifles like Israeli Galil rifles, are now also getting some long-range Finnish Sako sniper rifles, which have a kill range of around 2,400-metre.

But it’s the infantry soldiers deployed along the LoC who desperately need new weapons, ranging from assault and sniper rifles to close-combat carbines and light machine guns.

Much more than the use of heavier weapons like mortars, light artillery and anti-tank guided missiles, effective sniper operations have a greater demoralizing effect on rival troops in the continuing hostilities and ceasefire violations along the LOC.
Neshant
BRF Oldie

Post by Neshant »

First General in IA to even talk about AI.

Meanwhile China is pouring gobs of money into it.

Engage private industry for AI projects.

If that task is delegated to inefficient DRDO, the country is dead.

wig
BRF Oldie

Post by wig »

https://www.tribuneindia.com/news/natio ... 12814.html

Army’s tank crew finds extreme cold climate clothing unsuitable
extracted
Extreme cold climateclothing issued to troops is bulky and cumbersome
Makes it unsuitable for use in the close confines of tanks and infantry combat vehicles
Case taken up for scaling clothing, accessories for armoured, mech infantry units in high-altitude areas
Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

Was reading India Today latest issue which has interview with IA Chief worth reading the whole thing but 2 points that stand out

1 ) Shocked to know when Army Chief says 87 % of IA Budget expenditure is for OPEX which is Salaries,Fuel etc and just 13 % left of modernisation , if left unchecked in few years this will be 90 % will be OPEX and 10 % CAPEX

2 ) IA Chief has plans to increase OPEX assuming budget will be the same the plan is to reduce 50000 - 100000 troops and this will save around 5000-6000 Crore which can be used for modernisation

Lot of restructuring in the IA to make the teeth to tail ratio better and make it a agile fighting force , Actual Cold Start implementation is possible only if it is done else things remain on paper with work in progress thing.

For the rest need to read it in the IT issue.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

Major shake-up in Army’s repair echelons this year
https://www.tribuneindia.com/news/natio ... 12817.html

Vijay Mohan
Tribune News Service
Chandigarh, January 12

The Army’s repair and maintenance echelon will see a major shake-up this year with some establishments being shut down and others being handed over to private contractors. Four Army base workshops (ABWs) will be corporatised on the government owned contractor operated (GOCO) model by April, according to information placed in Parliament by the Ministry of Defence recently. These are the 506 ABW at Jabalpur, 508 ABW at Allahabad, 510 ABW at Meerut and 512 ABW at Kirkee.

The remaining four workshops that include 505 ABW at Delhi, 507 ABW at Kankinari, 509 ABW at Agra and 515 ABW at Bengaluru would follow suit by December. First established during the Second World War, seven ABWs are responsible for repairs and overhaul of weapons, vehicles and equipment, while the eight (515 ABW) is engaged in the indigenisation of spares and manufacture of simulators.

Under provisions of GOCO, mooted in 2017, the infrastructure and facilities of ABWs will remain under the ownership of the government while the contractors will be responsible for the day-to-day operations, plant maintenance and meeting targets. This is part of the government’s plan to rationalise Army manpower and reduce the “tail” as recommended by the Lt Gen DB Shekatkar committee.

Handing over ABWs to private contractors will result in a large number of technical officers up to the rank of Brigadier as well as other ranks as being moved out. Consequently, the control of these establishments is expected to move from Army Headquarters to the Ministry of Defence. In addition, two Army Advance Base Workshops at Udhampur near Jammu and Narangi near Guwahati are to be closed down by March this year. The same month will also see the Static Workshop at Delhi being disbanded, according to the Ministry’s statement. Further, 29 out of the 31 station workshops are to be “optimised” by restructuring their administrative set up and redeploying manpower.