Su-30MKI: News and Discussion - August 9, 2014

The Military Issues & History Forum is a venue to discuss issues relating to the military aspects of the Indian Armed Forces, whether the past, present or future. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
ashishvikas
BRFite
Posts: 298
Joined: 17 Oct 2016 14:18

Re: Su-30: News and Discussion - August 9, 2014

Postby ashishvikas » 15 Jan 2018 19:09

#Update | Defense Minister @nsitharaman will fly a sortie in the Sukhoi 30 MKI fighter aircraft on 17th Jan at Air Force Station in Jodhpur to gauge & review the operational preparedness & combat capabilities of the armed forces

https://twitter.com/ETDefence/status/952890578844377090

krishna_krishna
BRFite
Posts: 620
Joined: 23 Oct 2006 04:14

Re: Su-30: News and Discussion - August 9, 2014

Postby krishna_krishna » 19 Jan 2018 05:22

One real world example of "MADE IN INDIA" , MRF deliver for su30 tyres and only Indian company to do so will save country 30%-40% less on each tyre :

http://www.thehindu.com/business/Indust ... 906022.ece

abhik
BRF Oldie
Posts: 2201
Joined: 02 Feb 2009 17:42

Re: Su-30: News and Discussion - August 9, 2014

Postby abhik » 19 Jan 2018 08:16

Ironically those Made in India tyres were tested/validated in China.

Aditya_V
BRF Oldie
Posts: 9741
Joined: 05 Apr 2006 16:25

Re: Su-30: News and Discussion - August 9, 2014

Postby Aditya_V » 19 Jan 2018 10:37

krishna_krishna wrote:One real world example of "MADE IN INDIA" , MRF deliver for su30 tyres and only Indian company to do so will save country 30%-40% less on each tyre :

http://www.thehindu.com/business/Indust ... 906022.ece


Actually it is saving the country 100% in Foreign Exchange and Building a knowledge base in India with production , factories while employing people and then in turn taxes on it. SO the decision probably saves 150% in Forex, not just the cost differential.

Austin
BRF Oldie
Posts: 21825
Joined: 23 Jul 2000 11:31

Re: Su-30: News and Discussion - August 9, 2014

Postby Austin » 19 Jan 2018 11:14

Indian Defense Minister Nirmala Sitharaman flew a Su-30MKI fighter

Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image

Austin
BRF Oldie
Posts: 21825
Joined: 23 Jul 2000 11:31

Re: Su-30: News and Discussion - August 9, 2014

Postby Austin » 19 Jan 2018 11:16

Raksha Mantri Nirmala Sitharaman Flies Sukhoi 30MKI Fighter Jet



Defence Minister Nirmala Sitharaman after fly a sortie in Sukhoi 30 MKI at Jodhpur


Aditya_V
BRF Oldie
Posts: 9741
Joined: 05 Apr 2006 16:25

Re: Su-30: News and Discussion - August 9, 2014

Postby Aditya_V » 19 Jan 2018 12:24

All good, but I hope she follows in the footsteps of Singapore Defence minister and flies in the LCA Tejas too.

Austin
BRF Oldie
Posts: 21825
Joined: 23 Jul 2000 11:31

Re: Su-30: News and Discussion - August 9, 2014

Postby Austin » 22 Jan 2018 18:07

Myanmar will acquire six Su-30 fighters

https://bmpd.livejournal.com/3061457.html


Hopefully HAL can provide MRO service to them and train their pilots

nits
BRFite
Posts: 881
Joined: 01 May 2006 22:56
Location: Some where near Equator...

Re: Su-30: News and Discussion - August 9, 2014

Postby nits » 22 Jan 2018 18:41

ashishvikas wrote:#Update | Defense Minister @nsitharaman will fly a sortie in the Sukhoi 30 MKI fighter aircraft on 17th Jan at Air Force Station in Jodhpur to gauge & review the operational preparedness & combat capabilities of the armed forces

https://twitter.com/ETDefence/status/952890578844377090


So wish she had flown in LCA Trainer 2 seater version; but still good start

eklavya
BRFite
Posts: 1745
Joined: 16 Nov 2004 23:57

Re: Su-30: News and Discussion - August 9, 2014

Postby eklavya » 23 Jan 2018 00:06

^^^^
It’s not the 2-seats, it’s the 2 engines that increases the margin of safety.

Prithwiraj
BRFite
Posts: 112
Joined: 21 Dec 2016 18:48

Re: Su-30: News and Discussion - August 9, 2014

Postby Prithwiraj » 23 Jan 2018 00:35

* Deleted *
Last edited by SSridhar on 23 Jan 2018 06:49, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: This comment is irrelevant to this thread.Deleted. Stick to the topic.

chola
BRF Oldie
Posts: 2629
Joined: 16 Dec 2002 12:31
Location: USA

Re: Su-30: News and Discussion - August 9, 2014

Postby chola » 23 Jan 2018 15:55

eklavya wrote:^^^^
It’s not the 2-seats, it’s the 2 engines that increases the margin of safety.


Sir, if we had flown the Singapore DM then safety is not a concern on the Tejas irregardless of number of engines.

JTull
BRF Oldie
Posts: 2296
Joined: 18 Jul 2001 11:31

Re: Su-30: News and Discussion - August 9, 2014

Postby JTull » 23 Jan 2018 17:20

Seems, this single-engine theory is put out only to diss a desi fighter. The noose put on by IN has completely crippled work on Naval-LCA. Perhaps some could learn from ACM taking flight in 'obsolete' Mig-21s. Surely, he's more valuable than a politico.

Rakesh
Forum Moderator
Posts: 5595
Joined: 15 Jan 2004 12:31
Location: Planet Earth
Contact:

Re: Su-30: News and Discussion - August 9, 2014

Postby Rakesh » 13 Mar 2018 06:59

https://twitter.com/kamallochan1982/sta ... 8106007552 ---> Indian Air Force Sukhoi jets over Dubai. Good to see India's defence forces getting media savvy. Flypasts should also be a regular feature in cities all over India.

Image

Rakesh
Forum Moderator
Posts: 5595
Joined: 15 Jan 2004 12:31
Location: Planet Earth
Contact:

Re: Su-30: News and Discussion - August 9, 2014

Postby Rakesh » 13 Mar 2018 07:03

^^^^

Larger (Wallpaper) sized image of the picture above. Only posting link (for folks who have slow download speeds...are there any left?), so you can right click and download. Just gorgeous!!!!!

https://i.redd.it/lbnyul55mrk01.jpg

shiv
BRF Oldie
Posts: 35041
Joined: 01 Jan 1970 05:30
Location: Pindliyon ka Gooda

Re: Su-30: News and Discussion - August 9, 2014

Postby shiv » 13 Mar 2018 07:09

Beautiful thanks - I was looking for a new wallpaper - bored of the old one

abhik
BRF Oldie
Posts: 2201
Joined: 02 Feb 2009 17:42

Re: Su-30: News and Discussion - August 9, 2014

Postby abhik » 13 Mar 2018 08:32

Radome color seems darker no? Is this new or really old?

Rakesh
Forum Moderator
Posts: 5595
Joined: 15 Jan 2004 12:31
Location: Planet Earth
Contact:

Re: Su-30: News and Discussion - August 9, 2014

Postby Rakesh » 13 Mar 2018 18:45

From sometime in 2016 I believe, when Rambhas were on their return journey back to India from an international air exercise. They were flying with the UAEAF from Al Dhafra air base near Abu Dhabi.

Kartik
BRF Oldie
Posts: 3892
Joined: 04 Feb 2004 12:31

Re: Su-30: News and Discussion - August 9, 2014

Postby Kartik » 14 Mar 2018 03:24

That stunning pic is by Katsuhiko Tokunaga, a famous aviation photographer. He was at Aero India 2017 and ADA/NFTC/IAF whoever missed out on the chance of giving him a ride onboard the twin seater Tejas and getting some stunners. Some defence journo mentioned how he was watching from the sidelines.

Rakesh
Forum Moderator
Posts: 5595
Joined: 15 Jan 2004 12:31
Location: Planet Earth
Contact:

Re: Su-30: News and Discussion - August 9, 2014

Postby Rakesh » 14 Mar 2018 03:44

Thanks Kartik for identifying the photographer....

Bio on Katsuhiko Tokunaga ---> http://nps.nikonimaging.com/members/katsuhiko_tokunaga/

The eye of Katsu Tokunaga - Dassault Aviation


Kartik
BRF Oldie
Posts: 3892
Joined: 04 Feb 2004 12:31

Re: Su-30: News and Discussion - August 9, 2014

Postby Kartik » 14 Mar 2018 04:31

I really wish the MoD, ADA and the guys who can, bring him in to produce a 30 minute video on the Tejas. It will be a visual delight and shots could be used for PR campaigns that are so important for an export push.

Indranil
Forum Moderator
Posts: 6807
Joined: 02 Apr 2010 01:21

Re: Su-30: News and Discussion - August 9, 2014

Postby Indranil » 14 Mar 2018 06:06

He took this one. His pictures, typically don't have effects etc. Just clean sharp pictures.

Image

Prasad
BRF Oldie
Posts: 6861
Joined: 16 Nov 2007 00:53
Location: Chennai

Re: Su-30: News and Discussion - August 9, 2014

Postby Prasad » 14 Mar 2018 10:06

Kartik wrote:I really wish the MoD, ADA and the guys who can, bring him in to produce a 30 minute video on the Tejas. It will be a visual delight and shots could be used for PR campaigns that are so important for an export push.

Some of us aren't too bad ourselves you know :) We just need a bit of access and patronage to grow..

JayS
Forum Moderator
Posts: 3398
Joined: 11 Aug 2016 06:14

Re: Su-30: News and Discussion - August 9, 2014

Postby JayS » 14 Mar 2018 11:58

Prasad wrote:
Kartik wrote:I really wish the MoD, ADA and the guys who can, bring him in to produce a 30 minute video on the Tejas. It will be a visual delight and shots could be used for PR campaigns that are so important for an export push.

Some of us aren't too bad ourselves you know :) We just need a bit of access and patronage to grow..


+101
And we would be more than happy to do all of it for free. Even with investing own time and money.

Austin
BRF Oldie
Posts: 21825
Joined: 23 Jul 2000 11:31

Re: Su-30: News and Discussion - August 9, 2014

Postby Austin » 26 Mar 2018 12:11

IAF chief says J-20 is not a challange and Su-30 radar can detect it from far off


JayS
Forum Moderator
Posts: 3398
Joined: 11 Aug 2016 06:14

Re: Su-30: News and Discussion - August 9, 2014

Postby JayS » 26 Mar 2018 14:58

^^ :lol: :lol:

Now we will see 4-5 psy ops articles from Chinese propaganda machinery in rebuttal... :lol: :lol:

Singha
BRF Oldie
Posts: 62928
Joined: 13 Aug 2004 19:42
Location: the grasshopper lies heavy

Re: Su-30: News and Discussion - August 9, 2014

Postby Singha » 26 Mar 2018 15:55

even in a civil aviation airport like BIAL, some once a quarter runway photo days would be good, to help us get better and teach our kids .... like in nellis and many airshows they get to stand near the runway and click as much as they want....

Cain Marko
BRF Oldie
Posts: 3191
Joined: 26 Jun 2005 10:26

Re: Su-30: News and Discussion - August 9, 2014

Postby Cain Marko » 13 Apr 2018 11:28

Credit to TR1 at keypubs....note the new range on the bars, very nice, wonder if they snuck in the irbis' high powered twt...no wonder the iaf is not in any hurry to upgrade this sbeast :twisted:

https://image.ibb.co/bTQ5bn/137037342106246769.jpg

Image

ArjunPandit
BRFite
Posts: 1224
Joined: 29 Mar 2017 06:37

Re: Su-30: News and Discussion - August 9, 2014

Postby ArjunPandit » 13 Apr 2018 12:04

^^No RCS mentioned for the range, but anyways the numbers are very high.

Cain Marko
BRF Oldie
Posts: 3191
Joined: 26 Jun 2005 10:26

Re: Su-30: News and Discussion - August 9, 2014

Postby Cain Marko » 13 Apr 2018 21:31

ArjunPandit wrote:^^No RCS mentioned for the range, but anyways the numbers are very high.

Russkis almost never do but the norm is 3 msq for fighter sized targets...mig 21 iirc.

ArjunPandit
BRFite
Posts: 1224
Joined: 29 Mar 2017 06:37

Re: Su-30: News and Discussion - August 9, 2014

Postby ArjunPandit » 13 Apr 2018 21:46

^^Thx. This is huge, for a loaded F16, MKI will a good headstart and negating the AIM-9 advantage of mard-e-momins

SaiK
BRF Oldie
Posts: 35826
Joined: 29 Oct 2003 12:31
Location: NowHere

Re: Su-30: News and Discussion - August 9, 2014

Postby SaiK » 28 Apr 2018 15:17

The Su-35 may be the best jet-age dogfighter ever made and a capable missile delivery platform—but whether that will suffice for an air-superiority fighter in the era of stealth technology remains to be seen.

http://nationalinterest.org/blog/the-bu ... ?page=show

As the U.S. Air Force would have it, stealth fighters will be able to unleash a hail of missiles up to one hundred miles away without the enemy having any way to return fire until they close to a (short) distance, where visual and IR scanning come into play. Proponents of the Russian fighter argue that it will be able to rely upon ground-based low-bandwidth radars, and on-board IRST sensors and PESA radar, to detect stealth planes. Keep in mind, however, that the former two technologies are imprecise and can’t be used to target weapons in most cases.

Both parties obviously have huge economic and political incentives to advance their claims. While it is worthwhile examining the technical merits of these schools of thought in detail, the question will likely only be resolved by testing under combat conditions. Furthermore, other factors such as supporting assets, mission profile, pilot training and numbers play a large a role in determining the outcomes of aerial engagements.


It is a good read for AMCA and 5th gen thread needs too

nam
BRFite
Posts: 1213
Joined: 05 Jan 2017 20:48

Re: Su-30: News and Discussion - August 9, 2014

Postby nam » 28 Apr 2018 17:27

Stealth does not kill other jets, missiles do.

If your jammer and ew are top notch and able to fool aim120, your opponent having f22 is of no concern.

Indranil
Forum Moderator
Posts: 6807
Joined: 02 Apr 2010 01:21

Re: Su-30: News and Discussion - August 9, 2014

Postby Indranil » 29 Apr 2018 02:39

Austin wrote:IAF chief says J-20 is not a challange and Su-30 radar can detect it from far off


That was a dismissive tone by the IAF chief. "Yeh jo aapka Su-30 ka radar hai nai, woh hi kai km per pick up kar lega usko", the obvious part was "land-based radars ki toh baat hi chor de".

Haridas
BRFite
Posts: 297
Joined: 26 Dec 2017 07:53

Re: Su-30: News and Discussion - August 9, 2014

Postby Haridas » 29 Apr 2018 09:39

Indranil wrote:That was a dismissive tone by the IAF chief. "Yeh jo aapka Su-30 ka radar hai nai, woh hi kai km per pick up kar lega usko", the obvious part was "land-based radars ki toh baat hi chor de".

ACM is not very eloquent in his speech. Not that is a prerequisite, but by the time one becomes chief it gets refined.

g.chaks
BRFite -Trainee
Posts: 1
Joined: 15 Aug 2016 10:05

Re: Su-30: News and Discussion - August 9, 2014

Postby g.chaks » 29 Apr 2018 10:05

Indranil wrote:
Austin wrote:IAF chief says J-20 is not a challange and Su-30 radar can detect it from far off

That was a dismissive tone by the IAF chief. "Yeh jo aapka Su-30 ka radar hai nai, woh hi kai km per pick up kar lega usko", the obvious part was "land-based radars ki toh baat hi chor de".


A small nitpick...the Chief was referring to 230 SU and not Su30

darshhan
BRF Oldie
Posts: 2284
Joined: 12 Dec 2008 11:52

Re: Su-30: News and Discussion - August 9, 2014

Postby darshhan » 29 Apr 2018 11:06

JayS wrote:^^ :lol: :lol:

Now we will see 4-5 psy ops articles from Chinese propaganda machinery in rebuttal... :lol: :lol:


A wannabe superpower which can only fight through global times and not on actual battlefield.

Indranil
Forum Moderator
Posts: 6807
Joined: 02 Apr 2010 01:21

Re: Su-30: News and Discussion - August 9, 2014

Postby Indranil » 29 Apr 2018 11:31

Haridas wrote:
Indranil wrote:That was a dismissive tone by the IAF chief. "Yeh jo aapka Su-30 ka radar hai nai, woh hi kai km per pick up kar lega usko", the obvious part was "land-based radars ki toh baat hi chor de".

ACM is not very eloquent in his speech. Not that is a prerequisite, but by the time one becomes chief it gets refined.

Did Haridas ji. Did not get your drift here. I was not commenting oh his eloquence, but the disdain with which he said it.

Cain Marko
BRF Oldie
Posts: 3191
Joined: 26 Jun 2005 10:26

Re: Su-30: News and Discussion - August 9, 2014

Postby Cain Marko » 29 Apr 2018 22:03

ArjunPandit wrote:^^Thx. This is huge, for a loaded F16, MKI will a good headstart and negating the AIM-9 advantage of mard-e-momins

I'm not sure they have any SRM advantage. IIRC they don't have the AIM9X, which could have been a greater threat.

Karthik S
BRF Oldie
Posts: 4134
Joined: 18 Sep 2009 12:12

Re: Su-30: News and Discussion - August 9, 2014

Postby Karthik S » 29 Apr 2018 22:26

Cain Marko wrote:
ArjunPandit wrote:^^Thx. This is huge, for a loaded F16, MKI will a good headstart and negating the AIM-9 advantage of mard-e-momins

I'm not sure they have any SRM advantage. IIRC they don't have the AIM9X, which could have been a greater threat.


Pakis were sold AIM 9 to help them fight war on terror.


Return to “Military Issues & History Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Aditya_V, Google [Bot], Kakarat and 45 guests