Su-30MKI: News and Discussion - August 9, 2014

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Re: Su-30: News and Discussion - August 9, 2014

Post by Karan M »

yes. not a great article by any means. all that it really has is pilots didnt initiate ejection and enquiry is on. rest is all cyber this, cyber that and h'wood reference takes the cake.
Sid
BRFite

Post by Sid »

Earlier reports said that it was a 2 aircraft formation. Both of them should have been in radio contact all the time, and any reportd malfunction must have been monitored by the other aircraft still in the air. But in any possible malfunction some RT contact must have been initiated pilots of this doomed sorty.

Besides all conspiracy theories floating around, above information does not adds up.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Sid wrote: Both of them should have been in radio contact all the time,
No. Not necessarily. A training flight for real war would mean total radio silence and no radiation from radars. In fact there may have been Indian air defence radars watching them which would be part of the plan - perhaps to see if they can avoid detection. As it turns out they were under watch until it went off the radar screen - so they had an approximate location

There may not have been enough time to even send a distress signal out. The black box will have some information
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

negi wrote:Even to this day highest probable causes of an air crash are human error;
People who do not fly will never know the risks and difficulties of simply flying - let alone the sort flying that fighter pilots must do. Doctors are praised for their great skill and dexterity in surgery but no one actually thinks about what pilots are doing even in a routine civilian flight. Even fewer people will know that the surgical community has been given the example of pilots pre-flight check lists to use before surgery to avoid surgical errors
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Surya wrote:Seriously writer make some spectacular unfounded speculation and then quotes his own speculation for another article???? :roll:
seriouly
These are the tricks/clickbait/sensationalism that all media houses resort to simply to attract eyeballs/clicks. I bet my left ball the article writer will not be able to name 3 other causes of accidents. Now he will - if he has read my list..
Sid
BRFite

Post by Sid »

shiv wrote:
Sid wrote: Both of them should have been in radio contact all the time,
No. Not necessarily. A training flight for real war would mean total radio silence and no radiation from radars. In fact there may have been Indian air defence radars watching them which would be part of the plan - perhaps to see if they can avoid detection. As it turns out they were under watch until it went off the radar screen - so they had an approximate location

There may not have been enough time to even send a distress signal out. The black box will have some information
But are they not in eyeball contact when flying in such formations? Unless weather was really bad, but that would have suspended any training mission to begin with.

P.S. Did IAF release any COI output from that An-32 crash which happened in AP couple of years ago.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Sid wrote: But are they not in eyeball contact when flying in such formations? Unless weather was really bad, but that would have suspended any training mission to begin with.

No. They fly through some really bad weather and eyeball contact may be lost. There are many (Indian Air force) accounts of such flying. In poor weather staying very close is not possible.

Training flying is not invariably suspended for bad weather because wars may have to be fought in bad weather and for transport and helo pilots sorties may be essential in bad weather. And in the NE "bad weather" can appear unexpectedly. I don't think we even begin to appreciate what our armed forces people need to do.

Most of us don't even understand the weather in the NE. Did you manage to read the article I had linked that describes the weather conditions in the NE

http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/IAF/histo ... -nose.html
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

Surya wrote:
Seriously writer make some spectacular unfounded speculation and then quotes his own speculation for another article???? :roll:
seriouly
same paper, different writers.

i understand where you are coming from.

TIFWIW.

If you don't like it, move on.
nirav
BRF Oldie

Post by nirav »

shiv wrote:
Surya wrote:Seriously writer make some spectacular unfounded speculation and then quotes his own speculation for another article???? :roll:
seriouly
These are the tricks/clickbait/sensationalism that all media houses resort to simply to attract eyeballs/clicks. I bet my left ball the article writer will not be able to name 3 other causes of accidents. Now he will - if he has read my list..
Need to keep an eye on "defencenews.in"
They started this cyber attack non sense
Sid
BRFite

Post by Sid »

shiv wrote:
Sid wrote: But are they not in eyeball contact when flying in such formations? Unless weather was really bad, but that would have suspended any training mission to begin with.

No. They fly through some really bad weather and eyeball contact may be lost. There are many (Indian Air force) accounts of such flying. In poor weather staying very close is not possible.

Training flying is not invariably suspended for bad weather because wars may have to be fought in bad weather and for transport and helo pilots sorties may be essential in bad weather. And in the NE "bad weather" can appear unexpectedly. I don't think we even begin to appreciate what our armed forces people need to do.

Most of us don't even understand the weather in the NE. Did you manage to read the article I had linked that describes the weather conditions in the NE

http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/IAF/histo ... -nose.html
Thank you, I haven't read that one.
ArjunPandit
BRF Oldie

Post by ArjunPandit »

Someone is reading BRF, a bit late though

Corrected the format to have the link work better
Last edited by ArjunPandit on 10 Jun 2017 00:38, edited 1 time in total.
Cybaru
BRF Oldie

Post by Cybaru »

Broken link?
anupamd
BRFite -Trainee

Post by anupamd »

http://idrw.org/how-russia-continues-to ... -in-india/

Such short sightedness on contract even when discussion goes on for months on end, show right subject matter experts opinion were not considered. Perhaps babus consider themselves as experts. Now the nation is paying the price and we have unreliability in otherwise a superbly efficient aircraft.
chola
BRF Oldie

Post by chola »

anupamd wrote:http://idrw.org/how-russia-continues-to ... -in-india/

Such short sightedness on contract even when discussion goes on for months on end, show right subject matter experts opinion were not considered. Perhaps babus consider themselves as experts. Now the nation is paying the price and we have unreliability in otherwise a superbly efficient aircraft.
How is this ToT? We are doing nothing but subcontracting parts the Roos feel are unprofitable.
Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

anupamd wrote:http://idrw.org/how-russia-continues-to ... -in-india/

Not sure what the author is trying to say , He is saying I know such thing because I know it and he has not backed it up by any official link to prove his claim either ways.

HAL has over period of time released presser and MKI indiginisation process is well documented. infact there was complain that under Phase 4 where entire MKI was made indiginously from raw material stage it was turning out to be costlier then imported MKI's ! So Make In India is more costly

Here is write up by Josy Joseph on that http://www.thehindu.com/news/national/m ... 199677.ece
srin
BRF Oldie

Post by srin »

I don't understand why it matters that MII Sukhoi is more expensive. MII's objective (atleast in defence) should not be cost reduction, nor should it be employment generation per se. It should be strategic autonomy - by developing local expertise throughout the (local) supply chain. Everything else is a bonus.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

^^Absolutely!! +1

We need to remember that import pasand could also mean lower cost so bean counters rather than armed forces drive imports.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

srin wrote:I don't understand why it matters that MII Sukhoi is more expensive. MII's objective (atleast in defence) should not be cost reduction, nor should it be employment generation per se. It should be strategic autonomy - by developing local expertise throughout the (local) supply chain. Everything else is a bonus.
good and clear thinking.

I know for sure that many PSU heads don't have this level of clarity.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

srin wrote:I don't understand why it matters that MII Sukhoi is more expensive. MII's objective (atleast in defence) should not be cost reduction, nor should it be employment generation per se. It should be strategic autonomy - by developing local expertise throughout the (local) supply chain. Everything else is a bonus.
Its the babus who will do cost accounting models and all such methods and make everyone forget why #MII is there in first place.
Then there are the CAG minions to second guess everything.

I would also read vina's game theory case study for high barrier technology investment posted in the GSLV thread.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

ramana wrote: Its the babus who will do cost accounting models and all such methods and make everyone forget why #MII is there in first place.
Not just babus. I believe there are a lot of educated "common people" on BRF too who also believe that cost is a vital consideration and that lesser cost for same item should be given priority over higher cost. The issue is that the monetary value of strategic independence is not quantifiable while the cost of an item bought or sold is quantifiable. So how do you explain the cost of strategic independence to a person who can count money easily?
Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

Su-30MKI Gets New Weapons ( pg 25-27 June Edition of Take Off Mag )

en.take-off.ru/pdf_to/to41.pdf

^ From the article
According to Mr. Raju, HAL productionised about 39,000 Su-30MKI airframe parts and 1,015 assembly units as well
as about 5,600 AL-31FP engine components and learnt 133 new technologies, including making cast and stamped engine parts. India has long been producing the Su-30MKI within the framework of Phase IV of the licence contract, under which Russia has supplied mostly raw and other materials and individual half-finished items.
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

Shiv,don't you instead mean "Absolut"?
Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya_V »

shiv wrote:
ramana wrote: Its the babus who will do cost accounting models and all such methods and make everyone forget why #MII is there in first place.
Not just babus. I believe there are a lot of educated "common people" on BRF too who also believe that cost is a vital consideration and that lesser cost for same item should be given priority over higher cost. The issue is that the monetary value of strategic independence is not quantifiable while the cost of an item bought or sold is quantifiable. So how do you explain the cost of strategic independence to a person who can count money easily?
+1 million,
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

If we were sitting on an oilfield or gasfield like the Gulfies,we could earmark a huge amt. for R&D,beg,borrow or steal (like the PRC) the tech we need to kickstart our path towards greater self-sufficiency. One problem is that high-tech is arriving at such a bewildering pace that even a year is too late for items like smart phones,etc.There are however such fundamental requirements like engines,required for rotary and fixed wing aircraft/helos,warships and subs,AVs,missiles,etc.,etc.This is a huge discipline in itself,Avionics,radars,composites,metallurgy,explosives,weaponry,add to the massive scope and size of the problem.Then add exotic new tech like lasers,rail guns,particle beams,et al, The funding requited is immense.

Since we have a limited amt. of money for the def. budget,relative to the performance of the economy,we have to "cut our coat according to the cloth".
Somewhere along the line we've lost the art on the '60s and '70s,where with far lesser money and with level 2 eqpt.,we thrashed the Pakis again and again. It is only in the last 2 decades that we have gone all glazed eyed drooling at the show windows at arms expos wanting the latest,bestest and costliest. We've forgotten about "quantity having a quality of its own".The right mix of "state of art" and "workhorse" systems must be arrived at.
The MKI programme when seen in its entirety,is an extremely successful one,where we have arguable the world's best non-stealth fighter available at a much lower cost than its rivals from the west. If the Chinese could almost fully reverse-engineer the Flanker,the hard Q must be asked of HAL and co.,why after operating the aircraft from the '80s,we haven't been able to achieve as much as the PRC?

Mr.Modi must realise that unless we have a full-time dynamic Def. Min.,knowledgeable in mil matters ,decades from now we will be debating the same issues.
KrishnaK
BRFite

Post by KrishnaK »

shiv wrote:
I think strategic independence can and should be quantified. Leaving aside hurt pride of course, which too can have a price. For the sake of this argument I'm assuming a very narrow scenario - that this is explicitly for military hardware and involves the issue of sanctions. India knows roughly the reasons for which it will go to war - punitive or deterrent. Assuming the worst case we know how long we can sustain operations in the face of universal condemnation. We don't have indefinite oil. If you assume that's say 4 weeks, we need spares for 4 weeks worth of operations. Iran still flies its F14 tomcats btw. There are cases where this won't apply (like nukes, missiles beyond a certain range etc..) and cases where it can be. It could also be harder to come up with a number in cases like - i can modify my own radar while i can't do with others'. Still numbers should be pulled out of thin air if need be and evaluated. If I had my own radar it'll make it so much easier for me to destroy an enemy plane. No one has absolute strategic independence.
Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya_V »

KrishnaK _ I dont agree , the only reason Iranian F-14's fly is that Uncle and Israel even though pubilically are enemies have been supplying parts to Iran
1) At first it was to prevent Saddam's victory, it had a poor record in 1980-88
2) To prevent Sunnis from taking Iran to lightily
3) There are probably some ties between the Iraian- US -Isreali miltary which is not known to public.

No way that fleet is "Strategically Independant". and Considering the IRAN Khahar 333 Fighter claims, how Iran had electronically captured US stealth drones which it is now manufacturing. One would take their claims of F-14 being operational with a pinch of salt, can they fly 10 days in war with 10 sorties a day?

We cannot say no imports and everything should be Indian but our Import First policy with Arms agent commissions seems to be a disaster.'

Here is a link to report from 1986

Israeli Arms Sales to Iran

On July 24, 1984, Radio Luxembourg reported that Nimrodi had met in Zurich with the deputy defense minister and the top intelligence officer of Iran and with Rif'at al-Assad, the brother of Syrian President Hafez al-Assad. Swiss government sources said that the meeting resulted in a deal to ship 40 truckloads of weapons a day from Israel to Iran, via Syria and Turkey.
At about the same time the London Observer reported that a ship carrying 25,000 tons of Israeli material was making a rush delivery, sailing directly to the Iranian port of Bandar Abbas rather than first going to Zaire where the Iranian buyers would inspect the cargo.
In 1983, then-Defense Minister Ariel Sharon blurted out during a US speaking engagement that Israel sold arms to Iran because it regarded Iraq as the greater enemy, and that the sales had been thoroughly discussed with US officials. US officials acknowledged such discussions but denied that Israel had US permission."
So there is no real Strategic Independancce to Iran from F-14, it is just a part of Uncle's double games
Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

Russia, in cooperation with Italy modernizing Indian Su-30MKI

https://ria.ru/defense_safety/20170619/1496842131.html
Le Bourget, June 19 - RIA Novosti. Russia will modernize the Indian Su-30MKI in cooperation with Italy, he told reporters on Monday at Le Bourget in 2017 the general director of Rosoboronexport Alexander Mikheev.

"In cooperation with the Italian side we begin to modernize the Indian Su-30 MKI", - said Mikheyev.

He stressed that the choice of an Italian partner - a Delhi initiative.

"With the modernization of the Italian side offers the opportunity to meet the certification requirements", - said Mikheyev.
Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

What does Italy bring to the table on MKI program ?
JTull
BRF Oldie

Post by JTull »

Austin wrote:What does Italy bring to the table on MKI program ?
Innovative corruption mechanisms!
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

There could be some avionics where Italy are expert at. Selex was a Finn-Mecc. subsidiary specialising in avionics,AESA radars,etc. Now part of Leonardo.Remember that Russia and Italy have also a spl. relationship,wanted to offer India a joint Ru-It sub design a few years ago. The Italian nes item with regard to the SU-30 is intriguing,as the SG radar is what is used aboard the Swedish Gripens. Could it be that the IAF have got the Gripen in their crosshairs for the SE tender,commonality with a Super-Sukhoi?

http://defenceupdate.in/saab-offers-cut ... ts-gripen/
According to Tossman, GaN AESA radars are 70 percent more effective than existing AESA radar technology. This development is different from the SELEX Galileo Raven ES-05 AESA radar developed for the Gripen. But Sweden is clear that the offer to share GaN AESA radar technology would be only be on offer if India were to agree to to produce the Gripen in India for the IAF.
brar_w
BRF Oldie

Post by brar_w »

I don't think that Sukhoi would be integrating an Italian AESA radar on the flanker family. They should have an internal AESA radar for the family by now.
ArjunPandit
BRF Oldie

Post by ArjunPandit »

Austin wrote:What does Italy bring to the table on MKI program ?
Madam mafiosi recommendation for kick-starting(backing) the program.
fanne
BRF Oldie

Post by fanne »

Pappu ki naani aur mausi is what ITaly brings to table
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

Our MKIs are supposed to have a "masala" of avionics,etc. and Bisons which surprised F-15 pilots have "grey market" stuff too.
Madam mafiosi ain't taking decisions these days we trust.
Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

India, Russia sign long-term support pact on Sukhoi Su-30MKI

New Delhi, March 17:
India and Russia on Friday signed two long-term support agreements for the Sukhoi Su-30MKI combat aircraft fleet, which is the mainstay of the Indian Air Force (IAF).

Pacts were also signed for maintenance and life-cycle support for other Russian-origin platforms, such as Mi-17 helicopters, MiG-29K aircraft, INS Vikramaditya and T-90 tanks.

The agreements were signed by Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd (HAL) with United Aircraft Corporation and United Engine Corporation.

Upgraded schedule

The pacts provides for an upgraded schedule for delivery of spares from Russia for these jets, local manufacturing of parts and a proposed logistics hub for the fighter jets in Bengaluru by HAL.

“With regard to maintenance and life-cycle support, it is our endeavour that most of the components and spare parts required for maintaining the platforms, which have been procured from Russian companies, are manufactured by Indian companies through technology transfer or through joint ventures with Russian companies, so that the serviceability of the platforms is improved and we do not lose critical time in repairing and maintaining equipment,” said Defence Minister Arun Jaitley.

The Su-30MKI was designed and developed by Russia’s Irkut Corporation, specifically for India. The licensed production of the aircraft takes place at HAL’s facility in Nashik, Maharashtra.

“We must take advantage of this opportunity to finalise some of the agreements or tie-ups for long-term supply agreements and manufacturing of spare parts/components in India. It is a unique opportunity where both Indian and Russian industries are present on a single forum in such a large number,” said Jaitley.

The objective of having long-term supply agreements between the Russian OEMs and Indian Armed Forces or platform manufacturers is to ensure licensed production and to firm up modalities for Indian companies to manufacture some of the spare parts and components under the ‘Make in India’ initiative.
This will be done through technology transfer or joint ventures between India and Russian companies.
Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

India Plans to Equip Su-30 Fighter Jets With New Longer Range Missiles

https://sputniknews.com/military/201706 ... -missiles/

According to the India Today Group, the Indian Air Force is planning to equip the aircraft with new weapons, including the air-to-air missiles similar to the Meteor that could hit targets within range of 120 kilometers (74 miles).

The media outlet added that New Delhi had already been engaged in talks with Moscow on the issue of modernization of the Russia-designed aircraft.

According to the news outlet, India is also upgrading the aircraft for carrying the Russian-Indian BrahMos cruise missile.

The Indian Air Force currently has a fleet of more than 240 Sukhoi Su-30MKI super-maneuverable fighter jets, which is a version of the Su-30MK developed for India by Russia's Sukhoi Aviation Corporation. The Indian aircraft built under license by India's Hindustan Aeronautics Limited.
Karthik S
BRF Oldie

Post by Karthik S »

Is it astra?
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

Astra is supposed to neeed a bit of refinement still.Could it be this missile which was under dev.?
Russia’s new T-50-variant Fifth Generation Fighter Aircraft (PAK FA) may feature the most accurate air-to-air missile system ever devised. The new system specifically targets the ability of skilled fighter pilots to engage in violent maneuvers to break missile locks in older-generation technology, based on a radar system held within the nose of the missile.

The new missile, pegged the K-77M,
was described by Russia Today as an “absolute killer.” It notes that what sets the K-77M’s technology apart from its counterparts is the implementation of a “active phased array antenna (APAA)” which essentially solves the lock-on problem by addressing the radar’s “field of view” problem. Previously, this limitation allowed pilots to swing their jets out of the range of a tailing guided missile when in close proximity, evading the scope of the radar’s view. The K-77M essentially implements a solution similar to the Raytheon’s Patriot surface-to-air (SAM) missile system, according to Russia Today.

Russia Today explains the technology in more detail: “An active phased array antenna consists of a large number of cone-shaped cells installed under a transparent-to-radio-waves cap on the nose of the missile. Each cell receives only a part of the signal, but once digitally processed, the information from all cells is summarized into a ‘full picture,’ enabling the K-77M missile to immediately respond to sharp turns of the target, making interception practically inevitable.”
DrRatnadip
BRFite

Post by DrRatnadip »

https://www.livefistdefence.com/2017/06 ... ption.html

The Indian Air Force’s original wish to deploy fighters with three BrahMos supersonic stand-off cruise missiles is now an official, timeframed project for the Indo-Russian partnership. Livefist can confirm that BrahMos, which kickstarted an effort in 2012 to spin off a BrahMos variant that weighed half as much as the original and dimensional smaller, has formally committed to putting the new missile into test mode by 2021, with the specific aim of giving the IAF a three-missile loadout option
JayS
Forum Moderator

Post by JayS »

^^
Re new 120km A2A missile -

If "Similar to Meteor" is to be taken literally it could be the new Solid Fuel Ducted Rocket missile that DRDO is working on. But from the tone of the news it seems more like a reference to some Russian Missile.