Su-30MKI: News and Discussion - August 9, 2014

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
Cain Marko
BRF Oldie

Re: Su-30: News and Discussion - August 9, 2014

Post by Cain Marko »

Could very well be the Derby ER bad on the news coming out of Paris where IAI official suggests the same. Note that the ER was put forth as poor man's meteor, and that hal is somehow able to integrate non Russian weapons with bars.
nachiket
Forum Moderator

Post by nachiket »

The interest in the new AAM should be seen in this light:
x-posted from LCA thread
tsarkar wrote:Bars is manufactured at HAL Hyderabad and thankfully the Russians shared the software (before they discovered they've run out of things to sell and started acting pricey on other stuff). The software shared allows India to mate Bars with Astra and Derby to replace dud R-77.
Since we haven't heard about Derby integration on anything except the LCA, it basically means that our frontline air-superiority fighter is BVR-nude at the moment except for the old SARH R-27. Hope the new ones we get actually work.
tsarkar
BRF Oldie

Post by tsarkar »

^^ We always had Super 530D BVR since the 80s followed by Derby on Sea Harrier upgrade followed by MICA RF/IIR on Mirage 2000 upgrade and I-Derby on Su-30MKI/Tejas. MICA, Derby, I-Derby and I-Derby-ER compare very favourably with Pakistani AMRAAMs. Add Astra to the mix.
nachiket
Forum Moderator

Post by nachiket »

tsarkar wrote:^^ We always had Super 530D BVR since the 80s followed by Derby on Sea Harrier upgrade followed by MICA RF/IIR on Mirage 2000 upgrade and I-Derby on Su-30MKI/Tejas. MICA, Derby, I-Derby and I-Derby-ER compare very favourably with Pakistani AMRAAMs. Add Astra to the mix.
I'm speaking only of the Su-30 and at the current time. Astra is still in development. Super-530D is also SARH (like the R-27) and only limited to the Mirage-2000. Has Derby been integrated on the Su-30? If so, that is a relief. But I haven't heard about it. The R-77 was the only modern active-radar homing AAM operational in the IAF. And it turned out to be a dud. The MICA is being acquired only now with the M2k upgrade and will only be operational on the M2k.

The MKI is still saddled with the R-27 only as far as I can tell. Same with the upgraded Mig-29s too. Unless we bought fresh stocks of R-77s with the upgrade, which are not duds.
tsarkar
BRF Oldie

Post by tsarkar »

^^ The entire discussion started with Rafael Paris Air Show press release of I-Derby integration on Tejas and Su-30MKI. It has a software defined seeker that enables programming against enemy ECM patterns.
chola
BRF Oldie

Post by chola »

Would it be too much to hope for since we are able to mate weapons of our choosing to the MKI then maybe we are edging towards autonomy and complete control of our flanker?

Can I dare to hope that the infrastructure that HAL created to build "70%" of the MKI can be used to build our own all-Indian Flanker variants (minus the engine)?
nachiket
Forum Moderator

Post by nachiket »

tsarkar wrote:^^ The entire discussion started with Rafael Paris Air Show press release of I-Derby integration on Tejas and Su-30MKI. It has a software defined seeker that enables programming against enemy ECM patterns.
tsarkar sir, the idrw report says that the IAF is evaluating proposals to integrate the Derby with the MKI, unless you're speaking of a different report. R-77 is the only missile for both the MKI and the upgraded Mig-29s currently. If most of our stock are duds and a war were to happen today our MKIs and -29s would be going up against AMRAAM armed F-16s carrying either obsolete R-27s or R-77s of highly questionable reliability.

Quite a change from Kargil era when the PAF was scared of the BVR capability of the IAF.
Cain Marko
BRF Oldie

Post by Cain Marko »

^entire r77 inventory can't be dismissed. What factor makes it such a dud? Seeker , propellant design? Can't these factors be addressed? After all, Iirc the seeker used on the Astra is the same agat one as on the dud.

And if this is such a case what does the IAF and navy plan to do with its fulcrum. AFAIK, the navy seems fine with the same mijjile?
negi
BRF Oldie

Post by negi »

software defined seeker :rotfl: no offense meant but I just couldn't resist how vapor ware terminology from ITVTY is infiltrating mil-tech until now the flow has been usually the other-way round.
Hari Seldon
BRF Oldie

Post by Hari Seldon »

Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

Strategic Reconnaissance with the Su-30MKI
http://tejasmrca.weebly.com/military-av ... e-su-30mki
Gaur
Forum Moderator

Post by Gaur »

India sought time to evaluate Russia's Su-30 upgrade offer: Rostec State Corporation
http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/new ... 654226.cms
Karthik S
BRF Oldie

Post by Karthik S »

In light of this standoff would it be prudent to buy 2 more squadrons of MKIs? I know we don't want to keep all our baskets in Russian hardware, but it's the best option we have to induct quickly.
srai
BRF Oldie

Post by srai »

^^^
Infrastructure setup is already there for Su-30MKI and plus investments have been made to increase its serviceability rates. New weapons are being integrated and MLU aka "Super MKI" are going to take place soon. Production of current orders at HAL is ending in 2019. Makes the most sense to continue the current production run of 12/year for a few more years until other fighter platforms, like the LCA, production occur locally at full capacities. All of these talk of MII are years away from delivering new airframes even if they happen to sign the contract tomorrow. On top of that, it takes a lot of time to achieve FOC on a new type.
Karthik S
BRF Oldie

Post by Karthik S »

I'd prefer ordering directly from Russia, if we wait for HAL, we'd receive the planes in 2022.
srai
BRF Oldie

Post by srai »

^^^
The whole point is to have at least one or two fighter production running in India. HAL has after many years achieved Stage 4 with the ability to manufacture MKI from raw materials. If orders are placed now, HAL should be able to continue deliveries uninterrupted post 2019 at 12/year. No benefit directly getting it from Russia.
Cybaru
BRF Oldie

Post by Cybaru »

srai wrote:^^^
The whole point is to have at least one or two fighter production running in India. HAL has after many years achieved Stage 4 with the ability to manufacture MKI from raw materials. If orders are placed now, HAL should be able to continue deliveries uninterrupted post 2019 at 12/year. No benefit directly getting it from Russia.
I think it will be like the Jaguar line, it will get orders continuously till the modernization work starts. I wonder if we could just produce new build SuperMKI directly as well. We can absorb another 3-4 sqaudrons easily.

PAKFA is probably 5-6 years away from production. This will negate the current circus in town.. The orders should come from our line.
Cybaru
BRF Oldie

Post by Cybaru »

Karthik S wrote:I'd prefer ordering directly from Russia, if we wait for HAL, we'd receive the planes in 2022.
We are already absorbing about 20 planes this year and about 36 planes from 2019 year onwards. Thats a squadron and half a year or three partial squadrons.

12 LCA
12 MKI
12 Rafale.

That's probably our max capacity of ingesting new platforms. We are/will probably be retiring at the same rate soon.
Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

Gaur wrote:India sought time to evaluate Russia's Su-30 upgrade offer: Rostec State Corporation
http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/new ... 654226.cms
It is better to keep the upgrade cost effective as possible no point in upgrading the engine and stuff when AL-31FP has enough power and increasing the cost , my wish list would be

1 ) Upgrade BARS to Irbis Standard ( which has been proposed earlier no need for expensive AESA )
2 ) SD Internal Broad Band Jammer , 2 Wing Tip Pod one for Jammer one for Decoy ( EF has that combination )
3 ) Add in MAWS and ESM with LPI Capability ( both capability is needed fleet wide due to SHORAD threat )
4 ) Replace maximum Russian Hardware possible with DARE Systems be it RC or MC or other things in there
5 ) Add Data Link to talk to AWACS , Rafale , Tejas vice vesa etc and Software update to Sensor Fuse all the above systems ( Radar/MAWS/ESM/Weapons ) make it pilot friendly with 2 Pilots they can any way share the load.
6 ) Integrate all possible weapons system in IAF fleet with MKI ,DRDOs , French American Russian Israel etc including BVR and Stand off weapons like Brahmos , even if it carries 1 Brahmos it is fine with no MTCR restriction it can fly to 450 km its max range.

Last but not the least get a Rafale Type Deal for Guranted Uptimes and Local Facility for Spares , Atleast 70 % uptimes they have already achieved 65 % till date infact a bit higher.

If they do all the above they can keep MKI competitive for next 20-25 years without adding high premium for upgrade.
Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

Jaw dropping!!
sum
BRF Oldie

Post by sum »

Holy #@!#
chola
BRF Oldie

Post by chola »

sum wrote:Holy #@!#
Because of the maneuver or because our Russian "friends" exported the SU-35 to Cheen?

Hopefully it can only launch the R-77 dudski.
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

Given AESA is now far along for PAKFA, we should evaluate the progress and take that for Bars rather than Irbis.
Irbis is a dual channel Tx complicated PESA with moving parts. Its reliability will be middling at best. Better to have an AESA, albeit one properly debugged, we can wait till then. With Bars still powerful, and AWACS, we do have time.
Khalsa
BRFite

Post by Khalsa »

sum wrote:Holy #@!#
Yes quite agree with that sentiment ....
Zynda
BRF Oldie

Post by Zynda »

Incredible...Su-35 can literally dance up in the air!
Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

Duet Display by Su-30SM/MKI at MAKS

DrRatnadip
BRFite

Post by DrRatnadip »

125kN Kaveri engine for Sukhoi 30MKI is sheer waste of Time and Money: Report

http://idrw.org/125kn-kaveri-engine-for ... ey-report/ .

Speaking on the news report that India is planning to replace AL-31-FP engine on its Sukhoi -30MKI fleet with a 125kn thrust class engine derivative from the basic Kaveri engine, Air Commodore KI Ravi, AVSM VSM (Retd) speaking to idrw.org said that in his opinion, it is a sheer waste of time, and tax payer’s money in considering investment into the 125kn engine Kaveri for the Sukhoi-30MKI. Air Commodore KI Ravi says that ” Russian philosophy of maintenance is so different from the western concept. Sukhoi design bureau as a part of their conceptual design to critical design review(cdr) and thereafter the prototype manufacture, followed by hours of flight testing AL-31-FPs, collected mapping of errors, corrective actions and then activating the feedback loop to make it a proven engine today “.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

I think that is totally fake news.
JayS
Forum Moderator

Post by JayS »

shiv wrote:I think that is totally fake news.
Could be. Whatever is said in the article is not completely wrong though. (The above quoted part is so generic. Every one does that and not only for engines but for every product in Aerospace. Its standard product life cycle, Conceptual Review to Critical Design Review. Nothing special about Russians doing it) But the part which says it will need extensive OEM suuport to change engines is quite right. I also think it would be a rather suboptimal use of funds to try and make 125kN engine fit in Su30MKI. Of coarse Kaveri 125kN should be made for AMCA. But for Su-30 we should embark on clean sheet 150+ kN class engine. The kind of efforts it will need to re-engine su30, why not go for uprating..?

But I do like the ambitious ideas that are coimg out. Folks are thinking which is good. Even if they go ahead and do this its fine. The experience will be worthwhile. Wont be completely "sheer waste of time and money". But little more ambition and uprating would be really good.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

JayS wrote:
shiv wrote:I think that is totally fake news.
Could be. Whatever is said in the article is not completely wrong though.
There is no working Kaveri engine of even 90kN What is this talk of 125 kN kaveri? And who is going to qualify the TV nozzles?
geeth
BRFite

Post by geeth »

Like all hydrogenated vegetable oil is called "dalda", may be all Indian jet engines are called "Kaveri"....what else?
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

:rotfl:
Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

shiv wrote:
JayS wrote:
There is no working Kaveri engine of even 90kN What is this talk of 125 kN kaveri? And who is going to qualify the TV nozzles?
Not just that dimensional too AL-31 and Kaveri are different in length and dia , that would change the CG if they managed to uprate the thrust keeping all things equal for kaveri.

Who ever wrote that article does not have basic knowledge on aircraft engine or thousand hours plus flight qualifying program needed to get an engine certified for fighter in all regimes of flight and speed or the hours it runs on ground bench test and on aircraft to get it flight qualified and much less status of Kaveri program , just adding 125 kn thrust was enough as per writer understanding to power the MKI !
JayS
Forum Moderator

Post by JayS »

shiv wrote:
JayS wrote:
Precisely thats what I wanted to point out. It would not be easy even if we have a good engine to replace Al31FP. And IMO if at all we want to take all those efforts we might as well go with uprated engine rather than same thrust class engine. Return on the bucks would be better.

No we don't have any form of Kaveri flight worthy. But for arguments sake.
Cybaru
BRF Oldie

Post by Cybaru »

I presume they are making an argument for powering AMCA. They are adding other use cases however far fetched they are to get funding. Which is fine, that's how we will get where we need to.
DrRatnadip
BRFite

Post by DrRatnadip »

Cybaru wrote:I presume they are making an argument for powering AMCA. They are adding other use cases however far fetched they are to get funding. Which is fine, that's how we will get where we need to.
I thought they will use Sukhoi as testbed for 125 kN kaveri :idea: .. Ultimate goal will be to perfect it for AMCA..
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Cybaru wrote:I presume they are making an argument for powering AMCA. They are adding other use cases however far fetched they are to get funding. Which is fine, that's how we will get where we need to.
Some person on Teetar has made a post about an interview with Christopher in Phorrsss magazine which is behind a firewall. Says F 414 is for AMCA
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

shiv wrote:
Some person on Teetar has made a post about an interview with Christopher in Phorrsss magazine which is behind a firewall. Says F 414 is for AMCA
I have been saying that, F414 INS6 uprated to 110 kN, for AMCA, for eons. Indian IP.

Which mag is that?

Going out on a limb, I suspect the 125 kN "Kaveri" is the French assisted engine uprated with the knowledge gained from the uprating of the INS6.