India's R&D in Defence DRDO, PSUs and Private Sector

The Military Issues & History Forum is a venue to discuss issues relating to the military aspects of the Indian Armed Forces, whether the past, present or future. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Vips
BRF Oldie

Re: India's R&D in Defence DRDO, PSUs and Private Sector

Post by Vips »

Mazagon Dock to deliver second Scorpene class submarine by year end.
After commissioning its first submarine, Kalvari, in December 2017, the company will deliver five other submarines to the Navy by 2022.

According to the deal signed between Navy and MDL in October 2005, the company is required to build six scorpene class submarines — primarily diesel-electric attack submarines — in collaboration with M/s Naval group of France, under Project 75.

Senior MDL officials said that more than 50 per cent of its engineering content has been manufactured in India.

“We will deliver the second submarine to the Navy by the end of 2018. Most of its trials have been conducted. The third submarine is being readied for sea trials and will be commissioned by next year. We will deliver the remaining submarines in 2020, 2021 and 2022, respectively,” said Captain Rajiv Lath, Director of MDL submarine and heavy engineering.

The submarines entail advanced acoustic silencing techniques and produce lower levels of radiated noise.

Senior MDL officials said Khanderi is equipped with an integrated platform management system that will ensure better maneuvering of periphery and undertake multifarious types of missions, including anti-surface and anti-submarine warfare, intelligence gathering, mine laying as well as area surveillance up to six meters of the periphery.

“The total project cost of building the submarines is estimated to be Rs 30,000 crore. We aim to undertake more ship and submarine repair works, which will give MDL an average revenue of Rs 1,000 crore per vessel,” a MDL
official said.
dinesha
BRFite

Post by dinesha »

Godrej & Boyce's journey from locks and safes to rockets and missiles
http://ajaishukla.blogspot.com/2018/09/ ... s-and.html
Vips
BRF Oldie

Post by Vips »

RInfra to deliver parts prototypes for Arjun Mark II ahead of schedule.

Reliance Infra is planning to deliver prototypes of the hull and turret for the Arjun Mark II main battle tank (MBT) to the Combat Vehicle Research and Development Establishment (CVRDE) six month ahead of the deadline. The prototypes are being manufactured at the company’s facility in Silvassa.

RInfra had won the contract to manufacture the prototypes in 2017 through a competitive bidding process. Other bidders included L&T, Bharat Forge, the Mahindras and Godrej.

“We are ready to deliver the hull and turret for the Arjun Mark II MBT six months ahead of schedule,” a Reliance spokesperson told BusinessLine. “This is amongst the first such projects to be awarded to the private sector in India, with the longer-term objective of creating alternative capacities and capabilities.”

The CVRDE has been looking to scale up the manufacturing capacity of Arjun tanks to meet the Army’s requirements. Private sector players were hence considered as an alternative supply line in addition to the Ordnance Factory Board, which has so far been the sole supplier of indigenous components for the MBTs.

Without disclosing the details and size of the CVRDE order bagged by RInfra, sources said the company is targeting an overall opportunity of ₹2,500 crore once mass production starts.

The Defence Acquisition Council gave the green signal for the ₹6,600-crore procurement of 118 Arjun Mark II MBTs to equip two regiments back in 2014. This will be in addition to an earlier order for 124 Arjun Mark I tanks currently manufactured by state-owned Heavy Vehicles Factory at Avadi, Chennai.

The Mark II version developed by the CVRDE was based on the Army’s recommendations following comparative trials of the Arjun Mark I and Russia’s T-90.

One of the main requirements, according to experts, was to reduce the weight of the tank as well as incorporate an anti-tank missile firing capability. The weight of Mark II has been reduced to less than 50 tonnes. The updated model has over 90 improvements over the previous version. Also, it largely relies on indigenous components.
ashthor
BRFite

Post by ashthor »

Cross posting

Great news on the Arjun front. Hope a follow on order after they are delivered to the army,
Just like the air force looking towards the markII
ArjunPandit
BRF Oldie

Post by ArjunPandit »

i pray to god that chota bhai doesnt flop in this. Even if there is corruption in it, but the tank should see through.
manjgu
BRF Oldie

Post by manjgu »

if chota bhai is really into this ..he wont flop. Ambanis know how to keep babus..netas happy... this is good omen !
Dileep
BRF Oldie

Post by Dileep »

jpremnath
BRFite

Post by jpremnath »

I would have been happy if it was firms like L&T, Kirloskar, Godrej and others...Chota bhai's modus operandi is to f**k over every party involved. Bribe and under quote to win a contract..Make loopholes in contract through his lackeys within the sarkari agency involved . Finally when the project starts, make a mess of it and then sue the government in the end blaming all the delays on them. I might sound too cynical, but everything chotabhai touched has turned mud...Reliance Comm, BSES (Later Reliance power), Pipavav (there are more reasons for this case i know..), Big TV and DTH, Delhi Aero express, the perennially late Mumbai metro..and god knows what else...His financial situation is too weak to support any serious R&D in any of his firms..

I might sound too cynical, but what do you think is in the minds of people like ambani and adani when they bid for defense contracts?...People who dont have the engineering expertise to make even table fans now want to make complex defense equipment...These guys are traders..not engineers. Keep cost of Purchasing cheap and make selling cost high...that is the thing they are good at..This wont help in developing serious R&D or technology absorption
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

jpremnath wrote:I would have been happy if it was firms like L&T, Kirloskar, Godrej and others...Chota bhai's modus operandi is to f**k over every party involved. Bribe and under quote to win a contract..Make loopholes in contract through his lackeys within the sarkari agency involved . Finally when the project starts, make a mess of it and then sue the government in the end blaming all the delays on them. I might sound too cynical, but everything chotabhai touched has turned mud...Reliance Comm, BSES (Later Reliance power), Pipavav (there are more reasons for this case i know..), Big TV and DTH, Delhi Aero express, the perennially late Mumbai metro..and god knows what else...His financial situation is too weak to support any serious R&D in any of his firms..

I might sound too cynical, but what do you think is in the minds of people like ambani and adani when they bid for defense contracts?...People who dont have the engineering expertise to make even table fans now want to make complex defense equipment...These guys are traders..not engineers. Keep cost of Purchasing cheap and make selling cost high...that is the thing they are good at..This wont help in developing serious R&D or technology absorption
All you need is land, investment, plant and machinery, skilled staff and experienced management and a contract to get going along with hefty contacts in the govt.

How do you think L&T, godrej, mahindra, Tata, bharath forge, kirloskar etc along with many others enter into the MIL business, in the first place??.

They also came in exactly like the ambanis and the adanis are looking to do.

Which of the above had any expertise in the MIL business prior to entering the same??

How do you think LM and other gora JVs/companies are managing in India?? Except for a few goras on staff, all the rest of their employees have been mercilessly stripped from Indian companies.

Just like what all the others did when they "started" and again, exactly like what ambani and adani will also do, if/when they enter the MIL business.

And why not??
jpremnath
BRFite

Post by jpremnath »

I understand the eagerness of these guys( traders like adani and chota ambani) to enter MIC..there is big money to be made..and nothing wrong in private firms making decent profit..heck i dont even care if they make a 40% margin on things they sell to govt..My comment was on who we are letting in when it comes to flagship projects like fighter jets and submarines.Instead of experienced engineering companies with established infrastructure and human resources, we encourage people who are best known for taking huge loans to launch unsuccessful businesses. And I am surprised that people in BRF dont see whats wrong here..
All you need is land, investment, plant and machinery, skilled staff and experienced management and a contract to get going along with hefty contacts in the govt.
If only it is that simple...how can some one just acquire thousands of skilled workers and engineers at the wave of a wand?..Both Adani and Ambani doesnt have any engineering operations to supply huge number of mechanical and electrical engineers. And machinery? how can we expect them to invest millions into machinery which they might not even use once these small batch orders are completed...But its not the same with companies like L&T which already has plenty of capital equipment used to make their current industrial products.

Agreed we need private money and efficiency in our desi MIC. But handing over complex projects as a full package will end in disaster..If ambanis and adanis want to enter let them enter supplying the smaller parts to larger PSUs who can then be the integrator..They can make radars, or avionics or something small but profitable...A good case is TASL..they started making smaller parts to LM and look how much they have gone up the value chain...give them another decade and I am sure they will be a biggie in Indian aerospace. L&T has tremendous experience in large and complex engineering projects all across India and ME and have been knocking at govt doors for long to enter defense business without much luck ( I am not forgetting K9, which is a small run of CKD kit assembly). They could be our Raytheon, instead both UPA and NDA2 seems to be more comfortable with Chota ambani and Adani.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

Chetak - please keep general rants out of this thread please. They serve no purpose and are not productive and incite counter replies.

Thanks

Edited by Karan M
Gyan
BRFite

Post by Gyan »

It's a matter of choice whether we want private sector screwdriver technology which might improve on a later date or we want to continue with government sector and controlled by foreigners Dalal s
souravB
BRFite

Post by souravB »

https://twitter.com/shatrujeet009/statu ... 0208032768
exclusive photos of BEL Passive Night vision Goggles (PNVG) in service
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

Gyan wrote:It's a matter of choice whether we want private sector screwdriver technology which might improve on a later date or we want to continue with government sector and controlled by foreigners Dalal s
C'mon Gyan. Please no rants here. You know the issue is not as black and white as you mentioned. Multiple PSU and private products which are fairly innovative and with local involvement.
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

BEL's Annual Report 2017-18
http://bel-india.in/Documentviews.aspx? ... -30818.pdf

Multiple interesting programs and details. BEL is investing ~10% of sales in R&D. This is a pretty good figure.
Vips
BRF Oldie

Post by Vips »

GRSE working on double-lane bailey bridges for Army.
Defence PSU Garden Reach Shipbuilders and Engineers (GRSE) Ltd is working on making 7.5 metre double-lane bailey bridges for the Army to facilitate movement of tanks, a top company official said on Wednesday.

Research and development is also underway for 30-feet long portable bridges, which soldiers can carry in parts on their shoulders, Rear Admiral (retd) V K Saxena, Chairman and Managing Director of GRSE, said.

Stating that bailey or suspension bridges are in good demand, he said that apart from the hill states, the likes of Odisha and Maharashtra are also in talks with GRSE for supply of these.

Since these steel bridges cannot be blown away, Maharashtra is seeking to install these structures in Maoist-affected areas, a senior GRSE official said.

The ship building company manufactures portable steel bridges (30 feet to 230 feet) at its Kolkata and Ranchi facilities.
GRSE expects steady orders as Navy, Coast Guard aim at increasing capacity.
Saxena said that GRSE, which has a capacity to build 20 ships concurrently, is working on expanding it to 24 ships by 2021-22 by utilising space available at its Rajabagan facility.

The public sector shipbuilder, which is going to launch an IPO on September 24, is expecting to raise around Rs 340 crores from the market, he said, adding that the amount raised would go to the Government of India.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

Difficult to find a customer who agrees with what T Suvarna Raju says.

If what he says is true, then why did the current incumbent not open his mouth??

In the end, its all down to "woulda coulda shoulda", and not what he did when he was actually in the chair.

HAL could have built Rafale jets in India, says former boss

HAL could have built Rafale jets in India, says former boss

This is the first time anyone from the state-owned aircraft maker HAL has publicly commented on the questions around the Rafale deal.

Sep 20, 2018
Rahul Singh
New Delhi

A Rafale fighter aircraft flys during the inauguration of the 11th biennial edition of Aero India 2017 in Bengaluru.

State-run plane maker Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) could have built Rafale fighters in India had the government managed to close the original negotiations with Dassault and had actually signed a work-share contract with the French company, said T Suvarna Raju, who was heading HAL till three weeks ago. He questioned why the Union government was not putting out the files in public.

He admitted that HAL may not have been able to build the planes at the desired “cost-per-piece”, one of the reasons why that deal fell through, but insisted that the company has the ability to make advanced fighters.

A former air chief, however, said making the Rafale would have been a challenge for the public sector undertaking.

“When HAL can build a 25-tonne Sukhoi-30, a fourth-generation fighter jet that forms the mainstay of the air force, from raw material stage, then what are we talking about? We could have definitely done it (licence produced the Rafale jets),” said Raju, who retired on September 1.

This is the first time anyone from the state-owned aircraft maker has publicly commented on the questions around the deal.

His comments come even as the politics around the Rafale deal show no signs of dying down.

The government and the Congress have been trading charges over the controversial Rs 59,000-crore purchase almost every day. On Tuesday, defence minister Niramala Sitharaman said HAL was “dropped” from the deal when the UPA was in power, because it couldn’t agree on terms of production with Dassault.

The NDA government’s decision to enter into a government-to-government deal with France to buy 36 Rafale warplanes was announced in April 2015 with the deal signed a little over a year later. This replaced the UPA regime’s decision to buy 126 Rafale aircraft, 108 of which were to be made in India by HAL using parts imported from France.

Raju said HAL had maintained the Mirage-2000 aircraft, manufactured by Rafale maker Dassault Aviation, for the last 20 years.

It was also involved in the complex Mirage upgrade programme.

“We would have delivered on the Rafale too. I was the leader of the technical team for five years and everything had been sorted out,” said Raju. On questions related to the cost of India-assembled Rafales being higher, one of the reasons why the UPA could not conclude the negotiations, Raju said making military platforms in India is always a strategic decision and it’s not always about the immediate cost.

“You have to see the life-cycle costs and not the cost per piece of a fighter. Life-cycle costs would have definitely been cheaper. And ultimately it’s about self reliance. There is a learning curve. If the French are making 100 jets in says 100 hours, I will take 200 hours as I am doing it for the first time. I can’t do it in 80 hours. It’s a scientific process,” he said.

He also added that HAL would have been happy to give a guarantee for the aircraft it produced. “Dassault and HAL had signed the mutual work-share contract and given it to the government. Why don’t you ask the government to put the files out in public? The files will tell you everything. If I build the planes, I will guarantee them,” he said.

The earlier deal also fell through because Dassault could not guarantee that HAL would deliver the aircraft it was assembling on time. There was a huge disparity between the time Dassault thought it should take HAL to make the planes in India, and the time HAL said it would take.

Air Chief Marshal AY Tipnis, a former IAF chief, said building Rafales in India would have been a challenging task for the HAL though not impossible with transfer of manufacturing technology from France. “The fact is HAL has not performed to the level it could have. It promises more than it can deliver and quality of work has been substandard in many cases. It has also backtracked on its promises.”

Pricing and guarantee had become intractable problems as pointed out by defence minister Nirmala Sithraman on several occasions, said a defence ministry official, who asked not to be identified.

The NDA government and the Congress locked horns over the controversial Rs 59,000-crore Rafale deal on Tuesday, with Sitharaman asserting that HAL lost out on the chance to build the warplanes because of the UPA regime and former defence minister AK Antony accusing Sitharaman of suppressing facts.

The Rafale deal has become controversial with the opposition, led by the Congress, claiming that the price at which India is buying Rafale aircraft now is Rs 1,670 crore for each, three times the Rs 526 crore, the initial bid by the company when the UPA was trying to buy the aircraft. It has also claimed the previous deal included a technology transfer agreement with HAL. The NDA has not disclosed details of the price, but the UPA deal, struck in 2012, was not a viable one, former defence minister Manohar Parrikar has previously said, implying that it would have never been closed and that, therefore, any comparison is moot. The NDA has said that the current deal also includes customized weaponry.

The deal has also become controversial on account of the fact that one of the offset deals signed by Dassault is with the Reliance Group of Anil Ambani. The Congress claims the earlier deal was scrapped and a new one signed just to provide Ambani this opportunity for an offset deal. Both the government and Reliance have repeatedly denied this. Sniffing an electoral opportunity in the Rafale deal, the Congress has been keeping up the heat on the government through events across the country.

Sep 20, 2018

edited to fix the url
Last edited by chetak on 20 Sep 2018 16:05, edited 1 time in total.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

The amerikis and the french not wanting to "risk" partnering with HAL also ensured that tens of thousands of aviation jobs would be retained in their own respective countries to benefit their own workers and economies.

Anand Ranganathan Verified account @ARanganathan72
3h3 hours ago

On the former HAL Chief T Raju's remark, that HAL could have built Rafale jets - yes, what he says should be taken seriously.

But what he DOESN'T say should be taken seriously as well, that EVEN DURING the UPA tenure, Dassault DID NOT want to partner HAL. https://www.thequint.com/news/india/raf ... ty-control

Rafale Deal: Dassault, US Ex-Envoy Flagged HAL’s Quality Control

Rafale Deal: Dassault, US Ex-Envoy Flagged HAL’s Quality control

CHANDAN NANDY

The stalemate between the Indian government and French aircraft manufacturing company Dassault over the supply of 126 fourth-generation Rafale fighter jets, was not so much because of pricing as much as the Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd’s (HAL) competence to deliver on quality, top Indian Air Force sources have revealed to The Quint.
Two reports by the then American ambassador to India Timothy Roemer and teams of specialists from Dassault, raised critical questions about low quality standards at the HAL, and constitute the likely reason behind the Narendra Modi government’s decision to let Anil Ambani’s Reliance Defence seal the deal with the French aircraft manufacturing major.
Also Read: Shameful Your Boss is Silencing You on Rafale: Rahul to Sitharaman

“HAL Not Competent to Partner With”

Defence Ministry sources said that Roemer and Dassault, as well as top IAF officers, agree that quality would have been compromised had the HAL been the Indian partner of the French manufacturer.

Roemer’s confidential report to the then US administration under President Barack Obama, just before his tenure as ambassador ended in 2011, said in clear terms that the HAL was not competent to be a partner of either of the two American companies – Boeing and Lockheed Martin – that were keen to bid for India’s medium multi-role combat aircraft (MMRCA), purely because it did not meet the quality standards the two US giants sought.

After some French government officials were able to “lay their hands” on Roemer’s report, Dassault executives and specialists sought permission from the Defence Ministry, then under the stewardship of AK Antony of the Congress-led UPA, to visit HAL’s factory in Nashik where the Russian Sukhoi-30 fighter jets were being produced at the time.

“Dassault Couldn’t Risk Global Reputation”

Once permission was granted, based on Dassault’s study of HAL’s Nashik facility the French government conveyed their displeasure over quality control once it was discovered that there were production-related problems over the manufacture of the SU-30s. Dassault’s conclusion was that the company “could not risk its global reputation” by partnering with the HAL, as the latter’s production facilities in Nashik were “in shambles,” according to top IAF sources.

Dassault submitted its report to the French government in early 2014.

The IAF sources said that at the time, Antony reacted sharply and took the stand that the French government could not change its decision on the Rafale aircraft.

However, the UPA government had little option in the face of Roemer and Dassault’s “scathing” reports.

The sources recalled that talks between the French and Indian governments for the supply of 36 fighter aircraft began a year after the Modi government assumed power in May 2014. By that time, the acquisition of 126 MMRCA aircraft was in a “logjam” primarily because of the HAL’s quality issues.

In April 2015, there was a government-to-government in-principle decision that India would purchase 36 Rafale aircraft in “fly away” condition, and that there would be no manufacturing in India. The final contract was signed in September 2016, with an exclusive clause that there would be no technology transfer to India.

First Published: 20.11.17
JayS
Forum Moderator

Post by JayS »

Subhash Bhamre flags off Larsen & Toubro’s defence systems

https://m.economictimes.com/news/defenc ... 882553.cms
TALEGAON, PUNE: Dr. Subhash Bhamre, Union Minister of State, Ministry of Defence, recently flagged off five different Defence systems at Larsen & Toubro’s Strategic Systems Complex (SSC) on the outskirts of Pune.
The systems included PINAKA Multi-Rocket Launcher System (MRLS); Pinaka Battery Command Post - a Fire Control Systems for PINAKA MRLS; indigenously upgraded Grad BM-21 Multi-Barrel Rocket Launcher; Short Span Bridging System (Load Class 70); and P7 Heavy Drop Platform System - for para-dropping equipment and logistic support, in remote areas and bases from IL-76 aircrafts
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Looks like HAL's Suvarna Raju has muddied the waters on Rafale and net result is the waters have fallen on HAL itself under his leadership.
Why did he do that?
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

HAL leaders will never admit to anything wrong with their org or firm. Its a blind spot.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

ramana wrote:Looks like HAL's Suvarna Raju has muddied the waters on Rafale and net result is the waters have fallen on HAL itself under his leadership.
Why did he do that?
very easy to be a tiger when you have no skin in the game.

HAL has captive customers and a works with a "cost plus X%" contract.

Also, it has a readily available financing source that never asks tough questions.

So it has no real incentive to invest in itself and grow

He has just wiped out any post retirement sinecures that he may have been hoping/pitching for.
jaysimha
BRFite

Post by jaysimha »

https://www.drdo.gov.in/drdo/pub/techfo ... 18_web.pdf

DRDO tech focus sept oct 2018
Parachutes, Aerostats and Beyond
by ADRDE parachute systems
jaysimha
BRFite

Post by jaysimha »

Dr G Satheesh Reddy is
the new DRDO Chief

DRDO conducts
Successful test of
Ballistic Missile
Interceptor AAD

https://www.drdo.gov.in/drdo/pub/newsle ... Sep_18.pdf
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

chetak, What got me mad was to find that HAL had the 5/year mfg line for Tejas!
And later added 3/yr.
With 5/year even 100 aircraft would take 20 years.
The 20+20 would have taken 8 years to make.
What were they thinking?
And then the second green field line was added.
Gyan
BRFite

Post by Gyan »

Sanctioned and FUNDED in 2003, production line was incomplete even 2015. whether it's complete today even for 8 LCA is doubtful.

Same with OFB for Pinka rockets, setting up enhanced production plant is running 10 years late. Just No interest
Vips
BRF Oldie

Post by Vips »

Video out on Youtube today claiming that HJT 36 (IJT) will be ready again for test flights by year end. Tail section changes/replacement done per advise/consultancy of BAE and wind tunnel tests have been successful.
kit
BRF Oldie

Post by kit »

ramana wrote:chetak, What got me mad was to find that HAL had the 5/year mfg line for Tejas!
And later added 3/yr.
With 5/year even 100 aircraft would take 20 years.
The 20+20 would have taken 8 years to make.
What were they thinking?
And then the second green field line was added.
wasn't that the reason the second line in private sector was suggested
Gyan
BRFite

Post by Gyan »

Vips wrote:Video out on Youtube today claiming that HJT 36 (IJT) will be ready again for test flights by year end. Tail section changes/replacement done per advise/consultancy of BAE and wind tunnel tests have been successful.

I have very very strong doubts if BAE will allow HJT36 to succeed or evolve properly.
ks_sachin
BRF Oldie

Post by ks_sachin »

Gyan wrote:
Vips wrote:Video out on Youtube today claiming that HJT 36 (IJT) will be ready again for test flights by year end. Tail section changes/replacement done per advise/consultancy of BAE and wind tunnel tests have been successful.

I have very very strong doubts if BAE will allow HJT36 to succeed or evolve properly.
I agree. I think the HJT will evolve into the Hawk (I) paid for by HAL and manufactured by Reliance!!
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

HJT will be in the air soon.
Sid
BRFite

Post by Sid »

Indranil wrote:HJT will be in the air soon.
Does HJT even have a use case for IAF? Best course will be to go China route and incorporate AJT tech into HJT.
JayS
Forum Moderator

Post by JayS »

Vips wrote:RInfra to deliver parts prototypes for Arjun Mark II ahead of schedule.

The weight of Mark II has been reduced to less than 50 tonnes.
Is that true or typo..? Do we have a corroboration for this one..? Looks too good to be true to me.
JayS
Forum Moderator

Post by JayS »

Sid wrote:
Indranil wrote:HJT will be in the air soon.
Does HJT even have a use case for IAF? Best course will be to go China route and incorporate AJT tech into HJT.
IAF may go back to three stage trainer program if they have good IJT to buy. HAL can anyway try sell it outside.

But whats happening to HTT-40..? It should have had certification almost done by now.
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

JayS wrote:
Sid wrote:
IAF may go back to three stage trainer program if they have good IJT to buy. HAL can anyway try sell it outside.

But whats happening to HTT-40..? It should have had certification almost done by now.
I don't know about HTT-40. I don't know about the plans for IJT either. In addition to what you said, can HJT-36 is the stepping stone to HJT-39. Either of which can become the testbed for the HTFE-25.
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

JayS wrote:
Vips wrote:RInfra to deliver parts prototypes for Arjun Mark II ahead of schedule.

The weight of Mark II has been reduced to less than 50 tonnes.
Is that true or typo..? Do we have a corroboration for this one..? Looks too good to be true to me.
Typo.
Vips
BRF Oldie

Post by Vips »

HAL financials and total production for the year.
Despite challenges :rotfl: , Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) has achieved significant growth in revenue and profits, a top company official said Saturday.

"We have recorded the highest ever turnover of Rs 18,28,386 lakhs in 2017-18 financial year compared to previous year's turnover of Rs 17,60,379 lakhs," CMD R Madhavan said in a statement here. Profit before tax for the year was Rs 3,32,284 lakhs as against Rs 3,58,258 lakhs in previous year, Madhavan said adding the Profit After Tax (PAT) for the year was Rs 2,07,041 lakhs. (Less profits inspite of increase in turnover)

HAL produced 40 aircraft and helicopters covering Su-30 MKI, LCA Tejas & Dornier Do-228 in fixed wing and ALH Dhruv and Cheetal Helicopters in rotary wing, Madhavan noted. In addition, HAL produced 105 new engines, overhauled 220 aircraft :?: , helicopters and 550 engines, he said. Also, as many as 146 new aero-structures for space programs were produced during the period, he added.
JayS
Forum Moderator

Post by JayS »

Vips wrote:HAL financials and total production for the year.
Despite challenges :rotfl: , Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) has achieved significant growth in revenue and profits, a top company official said Saturday.

"We have recorded the highest ever turnover of Rs 18,28,386 lakhs in 2017-18 financial year compared to previous year's turnover of Rs 17,60,379 lakhs," CMD R Madhavan said in a statement here. Profit before tax for the year was Rs 3,32,284 lakhs as against Rs 3,58,258 lakhs in previous year, Madhavan said adding the Profit After Tax (PAT) for the year was Rs 2,07,041 lakhs. (Less profits inspite of increase in turnover)

HAL produced 40 aircraft and helicopters covering Su-30 MKI, LCA Tejas & Dornier Do-228 in fixed wing and ALH Dhruv and Cheetal Helicopters in rotary wing, Madhavan noted. In addition, HAL produced 105 new engines, overhauled 220 aircraft :?: , helicopters and 550 engines, he said. Also, as many as 146 new aero-structures for space programs were produced during the period, he added.
Let's not take the profit vs turnover relation too seriously. If you see the numbers in Annual report for last decade you will know why.

Looks like almost 2000Cr are given back to GOI in form of divident and share buyback. RnD expenditure is >1600Cr i.e. >8% of turnover.