India's R&D in Defence DRDO, PSUs and Private Sector

The Military Issues & History Forum is a venue to discuss issues relating to the military aspects of the Indian Armed Forces, whether the past, present or future. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Re: India's R&D in Defence DRDO, PSUs and Private Sector

Post by Indranil »

Yup. sorry
kit
BRF Oldie

Post by kit »

abhik wrote:
Indranil wrote:Hmmm. The Saras is slated to be priced at 40-45 million. If NAL can do that, it will be really impressive!
You mean 40-45 crore?
pretty sure every tom dick and harry ..all those wannabe entrepreneurs will want to have their own "cottage scale" airlines .. HAL better triple their production rates for Dornier !!! .. now why didn't anyone think of this before :mrgreen:
Shankas
BRFite

Post by Shankas »

kit wrote:
abhik wrote: You mean 40-45 crore?
pretty sure every tom dick and harry ..all those wannabe entrepreneurs will want to have their own "cottage scale" airlines .. HAL better triple their production rates for Dornier !!! .. now why didn't anyone think of this before :mrgreen:
I approached them in 2006-2007 wanting to do a regional airlines. They made me run from Delhi to Kanpur to Bangalore to Delhi. I/we finally gave up.

Those were the days of Congress and Praful Patel. I got excited reading this. While there are no plans from my side to do anything in Aviation in India, I would love to use India made 228 and start a regional airline in West Africa.

I have permission from 3 countries and have the ears of another 3~4.
kit
BRF Oldie

Post by kit »

Shankas wrote:
kit wrote:
I approached them in 2006-2007 wanting to do a regional airlines. They made me run from Delhi to Kanpur to Bangalore to Delhi. I/we finally gave up.

Those were the days of Congress and Praful Patel. I got excited reading this. While there are no plans from my side to do anything in Aviation in India, I would love to use India made 228 and start a regional airline in West Africa.

I have permission from 3 countries and have the ears of another 3~4.
I guess the Indian Aviation market will just take off inside of a decade ..maybe in 5 yrs if the policies remain in place (and the central gov party)
pankajs
BRF Oldie

Post by pankajs »

https://www.drdo.gov.in/drdo/English/IITM/28______GBMES_(Project_HIMRAJ)_(1).pdf
Ground Based Mobile ELINT System (GBMES)
Ground Based Mobile ELINT System (GBMES) comprises of one Control Station (CS)
and three Receiving Stations (RxS) integrated in master slave concept to search, detection,
monitor, record and process the hostile emissions as well as to find the location of the
emitter fulfilling the strategic EW requirements of the Indian Air Force (IAF). One of the
three Receiving Stations is also configured to operate in master slave configuration
(with minimal degradation) in the absence of Control station. Each Receiving Station contains
three ELINT Receiver Segments in the 70MHz-40GHz frequency range. In addition, one
COMINT Receiver Segment covering the 30-1000MHz frequency range is employed to
intercept, Monitor the COMINT signals.

GBMES is envisaged to operate in the frequency range from 70 MHz to 40 GHz
covering Radar bands and 30 MHz to 1000 MHz communication bands. The system is
capable of interception, analysis and location fixing of radar signals and interception,
monitoring of communication signals. The configuration of system is as shown in Fig 1.0

The salient features of the system are as follows
• Wide Frequency coverage from 70MHz to 40GHz and COMINT segment 30-1000 MHz
• Achieve High Sensitivity & DF Accuracy with accurate Emitter Parameters
• Quad Superhet Receiver Front-end Technology
• Quad Digital Receiver Technology
• Built-in Radar Finger Printing System (RFPS)
• Location Fixing (LF) using triangulation
• Generate Electronic Order of Battle (EOB)
• Provide interface with onboard units i.e., GPS Receiver, SATCOM Link and Data
Link Communication Unit of Air Force
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Chetak, Some wise words from VADM Malley of USN:
Never bet your program on technology that exists only on a viewgraph.
Always tell the truth, and if the news is bad, tell it in a hurry.
Never shoot the messenger. You need the bad news as well as the good, and the bad news is more important.
Do what is right for the program and the organization.
Never accept a task or job (or propose one) without the proper resources to accomplish same.
No matter what you think of your boss (or customer), if he or she does not end up being a hero, neither do you.
Your people have feelings too. Treat them accordingly.
Your family deserves some of your time
Have fun. If you are not having fun (frustration and fun can be one and the same), seek another line of employment.
Don’t ever let your emotions take charge. Do allow yourself to get upset once every two or three years – then pick your target carefully and fire for effect.
Vips
BRF Oldie

Post by Vips »

Mazagon Dock may bag $8-b P75I submarine project.

The $8-billion ‘Project-75 India’ programme by the Indian Navy that entails building six advanced submarines is likely to be grabbed by Mazagon Dock Shipbuilders Ltd (MDL) on a nomination basis even as private sector players are grappling with lack of orders.

The decision was taken last week at a meeting chaired by the Minister of Defence Nirmala Sitharaman where it was planned that the programme, also called as P75(I), will not be rolled out under Strategic Partnership (SP) Policy in the Defence Procurement Procedure 2016 as was initially decided, sources told BusinessLine.

“The Defence Ministry has now decided to withdraw the P75(I) Submarine Programme from the SP Policy that was originally mooted by former Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar and award the contract on a nomination basis to MDL,” said an official, who refused to be identified.

Technically the decision comes as a positive development for French shipbuilding conglomerate Naval Group with which MDL already has partnership under transfer of technology (ToT) arrangement for the ongoing $3.75-billion ‘Project 75’ or P-75l, in which six Scorpene-class submarines are being built.

The decision is expected to sound a death knell for players like Larsen & Toubro (L&T) and Reliance whose shipyards at Kattupalli and Pipavav respectively are reeling under heavy losses on account of lack of orders from the Defence Ministry, sources said.

“The private shipyards have become loss-making units with a turnover of ₹1,000 crore or less. There were expectations that the P75(I) will come to the private players under the SP policy but it seems that the plan is now shelved,” said an industry representative, who refused to be identified.

The P75(I) programme was announced in October 2014. Thereafter, in 2016 the Navy issued a request for information (RFI) to six global submarine makers seeking to build six advanced submarines with air-independent propulsion (AIP) technology, which enables the submarines to stay under water for a longer period. Besides, the proposed submarines will have a vertical launch system with a brand new cruise missile that will be used as the main anti-ship missile.

The six players which received the RFI includes — ThyssenKrupp Marine Systems (Germany), Naval Group (France), Navantia (Spain), SAAB (Sweden), Rubin Design Bureau-Amur Shipyard (Russia and Italy), Mitsubishi Heavy Industries and Kawasaki Heavy Industries (Japan).

However, in October 2017 when the Ministry was being headed by Finance and Corporate Affairs Minister Arun Jaitley the government got responses to the RFI from France, Germany, Russia and Sweden.

Subsequently, the Defence Ministry started drafting the expressions of interest (EoI) to be issued to the Indian private sector shipyards for selection of the strategic partner with the appointment of SBI Caps as advisor. The final award for these contracts were aimed at creating submarine-building capabilities in the private sector to augment the pace of production that ails the government shipyards.

However, it seems now that Minister Sitharaman has decided to undo all that. Interestingly, the decision comes within less than a month of the French President Emmanuel Macron’s visit to India. The French, according to sources, pushed for the project aggressively during the bilateral meeting between Macron and Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
JayS
Forum Moderator

Post by JayS »

^^ wishes and whims...
jaysimha
BRFite

Post by jaysimha »

https://drdo.gov.in/drdo/pub/newsletter ... ril_18.pdf

DRDO Newsletter
April 2018 Volume 38

DRDO Successfully flight Tests Rustom-2 in User configuration
NAG Ready for Induction

pathbreaking and successful projects and
programmes of the DRDO. ADVANCED TOWED ARTILLERY GUN SYSTEM
jaysimha
BRFite

Post by jaysimha »

https://www.sebi.gov.in/sebi_data/attac ... 575098.pdf

DRAFT RED HERRING PROSPECTUS
Dated: March 26, 2018

GARDEN REACH SHIPBUILDERS & ENGINEERS LIMITED
jaysimha
BRFite

Post by jaysimha »

Gas Turbine Research Establishment, Bengaluru had undertaken the
project to design and develop a 450 kgf thrust class Small Turbo Fan Engine
‘Manik’ for Unmanned Aerial Vehicle application.
GTRE intends to invite Expression of Interest (EOI) for Transfer of
Technology (ToT) of ‘Manik’ Small Turbo Fan engine. Interested industries may
respond to the EOI.
EOI will be published shortly in the National dailies/DRDO Portal &
DI2TM portal of DRDO website.

https://www.drdo.gov.in/drdo/whatsnew/gtre-engine.pdf
Vasu
BRFite

Post by Vasu »

jaysimha wrote:https://www.sebi.gov.in/sebi_data/attac ... 575098.pdf

I just hope they price it right. Retail investors have been avoiding the DPSU IPOs like a plague, and only idiot jingos like me put in our money with dreams of a glorious Indian military industrial complex in our eyes.
jaysimha
BRFite

Post by jaysimha »

The fear of putting money in PSU is the fear of a tugluck and their cronies occupying the seat in delhi.

they can make glorious things or they can syphone / drain all the money using the PSUs.
JayS
Forum Moderator

Post by JayS »

Vasu wrote:
jaysimha wrote:https://www.sebi.gov.in/sebi_data/attac ... 575098.pdf

I just hope they price it right. Retail investors have been avoiding the DPSU IPOs like a plague, and only idiot jingos like me put in our money with dreams of a glorious Indian military industrial complex in our eyes.
Keep the dream alive. Its good investment in long term. But you need not buy shares in IPO. Sometimes you can wait till listing and buy at slight discount later. Or even invest now in some other share which can give better return in short term and then use that money to buy even more shares of DPSUs may be a year down the line. Majority of IPO subscribers are looking for quick bucks so response to IPO doesn't say much. Companies like HAL/BDL et all are not gonna give returns in short term. As such currently sentiments have been negative so its not surprising to see the reaction to DPSU IPOs.
jaysimha wrote:The fear of putting money in PSU is the fear of a tugluck and their cronies occupying the seat in delhi.

they can make glorious things or they can syphone / drain all the money using the PSUs.
There is no such thing as fear of putting money in PSUs the way you are trying to put it. They are just like other bluechip stocks. PSU stocks may not grow multifold in quick time but they generally give very good dividends. Many investors keep them for steady and good dividend income for long term. The response to majority IPOs in last couple of months have been tepid.
jaysimha
BRFite

Post by jaysimha »

https://www.drdo.gov.in/drdo/pub/prodhy ... apr_18.pdf

DRDO prodhyogiki vishesh march april 2018
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

How many times have L&T to prove that they are reliable defence manufacturers. Ships to tracked howitzers, always on or before time, on or less than budget!
nam
BRF Oldie

Post by nam »

Indranil wrote:How many times have L&T to prove that they are reliable defence manufacturers. Ships to tracked howitzers, always on or before time, on or less than budget!
In the name of transparency and fair play, MoD is allowing dpsu to bid for projects along with private players.

Dpsu quote a random number, given they don't need to invest in infra nor worry about meeting deadlines or cost.

If allowed they will quote 0. Result dpsu invariably win the order.

Read recently that ofb is now allowed to bid for ammo production which was planned to be done by private industry. Obviously they will win.
Vips
BRF Oldie

Post by Vips »

Thales, MKU to co-develop weapons for Indian Army.

Thales, a €15.8-billion French company, and Kanpur-based defence equipment manufacturer MKU Ltd will together develop and produce optronic devices and F90 close quarter battle (CQB) rifles.

Both products, to be manufactured at MKU’s facilities in Kanpur, Uttar Pradesh, will be offered to the Indian Army and homeland security forces under the ‘Make in India’ initiative.

Emmanuel De Roquefeuil, Vice-President and Country Director, India, told newspersons that the products co-developed by the alliance will enhance night fighting capabilities of the Indian Army and homeland security forces.

The alliance envisages manufacturing of optronics equipment, including weapon sights, night vision goggles, hand-held thermal imagers and thermal infrared sensor engine for soldier systems, and other image intensification and thermal imaging systems for soldiers and platforms.

For weapons, MKU will set up an assembly and manufacturing plant for the carbine version of F90 assault rifle, combat-proven and already in service with the Australian Defence Forces. Light, balanced and accurate, the F90CQB developed with MKU will be well suited to Indian conditions and requirements, says a joint press release. Roquefeuil was non-committal on time frame of the new plant.

Thales designs and builds electrical systems and provides services for the aerospace, defence, transportation and security markets, while MKU has manufacturing and test facilities for Electro-Optics in India.

The Indian company, which is supplying night vision devices to Special Forces, CAPFs and State Police Forces, is executing a Defence Ministry contract for 158,279 ballistic helmets for the Army and Navy, the release said.

Roquefeuil said the company’s revenue in India was around €300 million in 2017, and growing above the industry average in different sectors.

The company has been in India since 1953, and employs around 600 providing technologies and expertise in the Defence, Transport and Aerospace markets.

“Our aim is to help the Indian industry to transform India into a global design and manufacturing hub. India is one of the three top priority countries for Thales. We are developing local partnerships and co-developing products to address Indian market and export from India,” he said.

In India, Thales has a joint venture with BEL for civilian and select ground-based military radars.

It has been providing Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd avionics equipment for platforms that the Indian company is designing and has partnered with Samtel for military avionics and airborne sensor systems.

The French company has also been working with L&T Technology Services and Reliance Defence Ltd, he said.
Vips
BRF Oldie

Post by Vips »

New JV's announced at Defence Expo.

Adani Group said that it has collaborated with Punj Lloyd and Rave Gears (USA) for the design, manufacture and assembly of high precision gears and transmission systems for rotary platforms.

India's Kalyani Group and French firm Plansee Tungsten Alloys also announced the forming of their strategic partnership in the areas of "special metallic penetrators" required for manufacture of high-end ammunition.
Vips
BRF Oldie

Post by Vips »

Mahindra Defence inks pacts with Japanese, Israeli firms for UAVs and seaplanes.

The Mahindra Group announced two partnerships for its foray into new areas in the Defence business – one with Israeli company Aeronautics for naval shipborne UAVs (unmanned aerial vehicles) and the other with Japan-based ShinMaywa Industries Ltd for naval seaplanes.

Aeronautics and Mahindra plans to supply UAV system that can be launched and recovered from Indian warships.

“It’s our first foray into UAVs (popularly called as drones). Aeronautics is a leading manufacturer of UAVs and its products are sold in nearly 55 countries,” SP Shukla, Group President, Aerospace & Defence Sector, Mahindra Group and Chairman, Mahindra Defence, told BusinessLine.

“It’s our first venture in India. We were looking for this kind of partnership and discussed with many other companies. But we found an ideal partner in Mahindra,” said Amos Mathan, CEO, Aeronautics.

Together, they will be bid for the projects that are expected to come from the Indian Navy.

“The partnership covers all aspects of ‘Make in India’ programme that includes transfer of technology, indigenisation and assembly of products in India,” he said.

But other things such as investment, assembly unit, structure of the partnership will be decided after the tenders floated by the Navy.

Explaining USPs of the UAVs, Shukla said Israeli firm’s products offered the most-advanced technologies and UAVs can land even in a small ship. “It has sensors and cameras which are absolutely cutting edge and they light in weight,” he added.

Seaplane partnership

Mahindra Group and ShinMaywa Industries Ltd of Japan have decided to join together to supply US-2 amphibian aircraft (seaplane) for the Indian Navy.

US-2, manufactured by ShinMaywa Industries, is a modern heavy amphibious aircraft. It has the state of art equipment, lake landing capability, long endurance and extended radius of operations with large payload capacity. It can operate in very rough sea operations.

India and Japan are now discussing the methodology of procurement of Amphibian Aircraft US-2 requirements of the Indian Navy.

“Our understanding covers an exclusive partnership between the two organisations. Depending on the size which Navy chooses to buy, we will be in a position to indigenise at different levels. Larger the number, more indigenisation can be done. MRO and pilot training have to be done in India notwithstanding the number of planes. We already have pilot training for two major OEMs in India. Navy will have to decide its requirements. But we are ready to serve the country with our products which are ideally suited for their requirements,” said Shukla.
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

Vips wrote:New JV's announced at Defence Expo.

Adani Group said that it has collaborated with Punj Lloyd and Rave Gears (USA) for the design, manufacture and assembly of high precision gears and transmission systems for rotary platforms.

India's Kalyani Group and French firm Plansee Tungsten Alloys also announced the forming of their strategic partnership in the areas of "special metallic penetrators" required for manufacture of high-end ammunition.
Brilliant, clearly FSAPDS
Vips
BRF Oldie

Post by Vips »

Bharat Forge guns for top spot in artillery space.

Leading auto component engineering company Bharat Forge expects its revenue from defence business to exceed ₹1,000 crore in three years (from about ₹400 crore now) helped by potential orders from the Indian Army in the area of artillery guns and other equipment.

The Pune-headquartered company has set a target to become the biggest player in the artillery gun segment by 2025 as it sees this category as its sweet spot. This product has huge share of forgings, a space Bharat Forge has a strong domain and market expertise.

Chairman and Managing Director of Bharat Forge Baba N Kalyani pointed out that the tide was turning in favour of domestic manufacturing of defence equipment and Bharat Forge is ready to seize emerging opportunity in the Defence orders.

“Our overall revenue is about ₹6,000 crore now and the defence business accounts for about ₹400 crore. I would imagine that in three years’ time our defence revenue will be well above ₹1,000 crore,” he told BusinessLine. The company sees favourable business potential in supply of artillery guns and anti-aircraft guns in the near term.

“Indian Army needs 4,000 artillery guns. They have not got their new guns for the last 15 years. Each ‘Made in India’ gun will cost about ₹15 crore, but if they import it will cost ₹48 crore per gun,” he said.

Kalyani stated that Indian Army’s proposed artillery gun procurement programme is valued at about ₹50,000 crore over a period of 15 years and for the first time Made in India guns are expected to enter the race with strong capabilities.

Bharat Forge has already invested ₹300 crore to set up a unit for artillery guns in Pune and the factory can make 250 guns a year today. “We have invested ahead of demand as this was set up four years ago,” he said.

Kalyani also believes that its supply of guns to the Indian Army will pave the way for exports and it hopes to script a success story similar to what it has achieved in exporting auto component.
Vips
BRF Oldie

Post by Vips »

Adani enters multiple tie-ups to further Defence play.

Adani Group is betting big on its defence and aerospace with a slew of new projects in the next two years. The group forayed into this sector three years ago.

To begin with, Adani will start a new plant at Hyderabad to manufacture composite aero structure for Hermes 900, a tactical medium-altitude, long-endurance unmanned air vehicle system, in tie-up with Elbit Systems of Israel.

The joint venture will set up a plant in Hyderabad, a km from airport, with an initial investment of $15 million, which will go up to $100 million depending on the order from the government, he told newspersons.

Adani and Elbit have a joint venture to develop, maintain, unilaterally integrate payloads and upgrade Hermes 900 and 450 Unmanned Aerial Systems (UAS) in India. The joint venture will provide dedicated support to Indian Armed Forces to ensure availability of UAS, said Ashish Rajvanshi, Head of Adani Defence & Aerospace, at DefExpo2018.

Adani, in association with Saab group of Sweden, will establish a facility for assembly, integration and flight testing of aircraft. This facility will consist of design and engineering centre, parts manufacturing and testing and structural assembly and integration facilities, he said, without giving details on the location.

At DefExpo2018, a tripartite alliance was announced among Adani Group, Punj Lloyd and US-based Rave Gears to design and manufacture high precision gears and transmission systems for rotary platforms. The partners will set up a manufacturing unit at Punj Lloyd's Gwalior facility, said Ashok Wadhawan, President Manufacturing Business at Punj Lloyd. The production is likely to commence in a year, he said.

The facility will manufacture gears and gear assemblies mainly for rotary platforms, currently under production in India for Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd, and for future programmes like Naval Utility Helicopters and Naval Multi Role Helicopters. The collaboration will use manufacturing base in India for exports to global OEMs, both in the military and civil aerospace domain, says a joint press release.

The three companies aim at increasing self-reliance at the tier-I level, which will be critical for system integration of platforms in India. The collaboration furthers the indigenisation agenda under ‘Make in India’ programme and will bring state-of-the-art technology to the country, the release said.
Vips
BRF Oldie

Post by Vips »

Cyient teams up with BlueBird for drones.

Cyient Solutions & Systems Pvt Ltd and Israel-based BlueBird Aero Systems have entered into a joint venture to offer field-proven UAV systems to Indian defence, paramilitary, security, and police forces. In the joint venture, announced at DefExpo 2018, Cyient will have a 51 per cent and the rest 49 per cent to be held by BlueBird.

The joint venture company will indigenise, manufacture, assemble, integrate, and test advanced UAV systems at its production facilities in Hyderabad by leveraging BlueBird’s technology and manufacturing know-how.

Cyient supported by BlueBird will also provide comprehensive after-market services, including spares, repairs, maintenance, and support to end users across India, Krishna Bodanapu, Chief Executive Officer & Managing Director, Cyient, was quoted in a company press release.

The joint venture’s portfolio includes the SpyLite, ThunderB, and MicroB systems that offer UAS technology designed to fulfill covert, real-time intelligence, and tactical mapping-on-demand missions across open areas or crowded urban environments. Cyient Solutions & Systems recently conducted field trials in India, the release said.
Vips
BRF Oldie

Post by Vips »

Boeing, HAL, Mahindra Defence join hands to make to manufacture F/A-18 Super Hornet multi-role fighter aircraft in India.
Boeing India, Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd and Mahindra Defence Systems today entered into an agreement to manufacture fighter aircraft F/A-18 Super Hornet in the country.

Boeing India, President, Pratyush Kumar, HAL Chairman and Managing Director, T Suvarna Raju and Mahindra Defence Systems, Chairman, S P Shukla exchanged a 'Memorandum of Agreement for 'Make in India fighter' at the on-going 'DefExpo' near here.

Stating that the discussions on the tie-up have been going on for the last 18 months, Kumar said, "The intent of the government and the MoD (Ministry of Defence) for a strategic partnership is to produce 'Make in India' aircraft."

"We scanned across length and breadth of the country. We discussed with over 400 suppliers." Kumar told reporters.

"Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd is the only company that manufactures combat fighters, while Mahindra Defence is the only company that manufactures small commercial planes.It is exciting for us," he said.

To a query, Kumar said a joint venture company would be floated over the next few months and added that investments under the agreement will be "huge."

He however declined to share any figures on the investments to be made. On the agreement, Mahindra Defence Systems, Chairman, S P Shukla said, "This is a combination.. we have three companies that will bring their expertise, domain knowledge and flavour to the alliance."

Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd, Chairman and Managing Director, T Suvarna Raju said, under the agreement the existing facilities may be used for manufacturing the fighter aircraft or if required may set up a facility.

The Super Hornet fighter aircraft does not only have a low acquisition cost, but it costs less per flight hour to operate than a tactical aicraft, a company statement said

The F/A-18 Super Hornet will outpace threats, bolster defence capabilities and make India stronger for decades to come, it said.

The partnership would also bring Boeing, HAL and Mahindra Defence System global scale and supply chain, best-in-industry precision manufacturing processes as well as unrivaled experience in designing and optimising aerospace production, the release added.
If Boeing manufactures the F18 at HAL facility, then what is Mahindra's contribution ?

Of all the companies running in the fray for the contract the tie up's are: Saab- Adani , Boeing - HAL/Mahindra, Dassault - Reliance, Lockheed Martin - Tata

So who will be the joint venture partners for MIG and Eurocopter ?
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

I think these are trial balloons.

What use does IAF have for the F-18s that did not make the grade in the MMRCA competition?

More aircraft for neutering a failing Pakistan Fizzleya?
The real need is aircraft that can counter PLAAF in quality and quantity.

Not going to come as that would upset the US-China relationship.
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

Vips, these reports dont relate to R&D - not right away anyhow. I would suggest that for straight forward license manufacture news please also x post in the Military Acquisitions and Partnership discussion as well.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

jaysimha wrote:https://drive.google.com/file/d/1wgS15o ... nWowo/view
DRDO annual report 2017

What is the 84mm HTSS grenade?
And what is HTSS?

Is it an alternate round for the 84mm Carl Gustav?

is it in production?
What is the status?

Looks like developed for urban warfare.

---
OK. looks like it has been there for a while!!! :eek: :( for not knowing.

https://www.drdo.gov.in/drdo/labs1/HEMR ... oducts.jsp

84 mm High Temperature Suffocating Smoke (HTSS) Ammunition

84 mm Incendiary round is a multipurpose round. It is optimized for close combat in urban as well as field operational areas and is effective against lightly protected fortifications, brick walls and wooden structures. The round after penetrating target creates incendiary and suffocating smoke. The incendiary fragments burn with high temperature setting on fire combustibles and spews out smoke that suffocates human beings. The combined effects can force the enemy to abandon safe hiding place and be captured.
Above page has lots of details and for aklmand.
JayS
Forum Moderator

Post by JayS »

OFB Twitter handle tweets that Mounted 155/52 gun is 81% indigenous with 40% coming from Pvt industry. That's quite good by usual OFB standards.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

What is OFB handle please?
Thakur_B
BRF Oldie

Post by Thakur_B »

ramana wrote:What is OFB handle please?
https://twitter.com/DrUddipan
JayS
Forum Moderator

Post by JayS »

JayS wrote:OFB Twitter handle tweets that Mounted 155/52 gun is 81% indigenous with 40% coming from Pvt industry. That's quite good by usual OFB standards.
My bad. Its for Dhanush, not the MGS.
Vips
BRF Oldie

Post by Vips »

DRDO outlines Rs 18,000 crore investment plans.

he DRDO has earmarked Rs 18,000 crore as investment plans for the current fiscal, which includes developing the next generation lighter Brahmos missile, a top official said today.

The country's premier defence research institute has allocated about 25-30 per cent for developing new projects during the current financial year, Defence Research and Development Organisation Chairman S Christopher said.

"As far as funding is concerned, for this year it is about Rs 18,000 crore. Nearly 25-30 per cent will be going in for newer projects," he said.

BrahMos Aerospace, CEO and Managing Director, Sudhir Mishra said, "We have a proposal to develop BrahMos next generation missiles which will be termed as BrahMos NG missile."

"This missile would be lighter than existing BrahMos and will have almost similar kind of ranges and would be able to launched from various platforms," he said. As the missiles would be lighter, BrahMos was also also planning to have more launches from submarines, ships and aircraft, the chairman said.

DRDO, Director General, Electronics and Communication Systems, J Manjula said DRDO was working on long range radars that can cover over 1,000 kilometres.

"We are also working on developing self-protection suites for fighter aircrafts and also working on electro-optic surveillance systems for submarines," she said.

DRDO Scientific Advisor to Raksha Mantri, G Satheesh Reddy, said they were working on "anti-tank missiles" which can be launched both from helicopter and the ground.

"Some of the projects that we have in the pipeline is developing long range version of surface-to-air missile (SAM)," he added.

The DRDO chairman said the organisation was also planning to take up "high endurance autonomous under water vehicle" for surveillance applications and also developing "autonomous surface ship".

DRDO, Director General (SAM), Chitra Rajgopal said they were working on developing safe-storage solution for ammunition.

"We are also looking at underground solutions which are not so expensive by using various innovative features. In addition, we are also looking at eco-friendly disposal of obsolete ammunition," she said.
JayS
Forum Moderator

Post by JayS »

DRDO proposes 17-18k Cr every year and gets about 10-13k Cr at max from govt IIRC the numbers.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Thakur_B wrote:
ramana wrote:What is OFB handle please?
https://twitter.com/DrUddipan
Thanks. Please follow the handle. Give some encouragement.
JayS
Forum Moderator

Post by JayS »

Indranil wrote:How many times have L&T to prove that they are reliable defence manufacturers. Ships to tracked howitzers, always on or before time, on or less than budget!
L & T is India's one tru Engg biggie, spanning whole lot of sectors. But I think they lack lobbying power with politicos like what Adanis or Ambanis or Tatas have, and that the key reason why they fall short of orders. In ideal scenario L & T should have been front runner of all pvt industry in India in Defense.
Vips
BRF Oldie

Post by Vips »

We have have so far only L&T and Bharat Forge with a stellar track record. Tatas, Ashok Leyland and Mahindras make the next grade. I wish Godrej and Boyce also make a foray in Defence and Aerospace. They have have been reliable partners of ISRO and have made a great contribution to the missile program.
Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

Not sure where to post but this is a good Q&A with MOD Nirmala Sitharaman

jaysimha
BRFite

Post by jaysimha »

https://www.drdo.gov.in/drdo/pub/prodhy ... jun_18.pdf
DRDO prodhyogiki vishesh may june 2018
ISSN: 2319-5568