Project 75I - It Begins

The Military Issues & History Forum is a venue to discuss issues relating to the military aspects of the Indian Armed Forces, whether the past, present or future. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Re: Project 75I - It Begins

Post by Rakesh »

ramana wrote:Folks just so I can catch up, what's the issue here?
Thanks.
1) Most, if not all, the OEMs have walked out of the P-75I contract. Likely single vendor situation.

2) The RFI for P-75I contest is khayali pulao. Indian Navy is asking for unobtanium, which none of the OEMs are willing to provide.

3) The Navy has extended the RFI bid to June 2022, hoping some of the OEMs have a change of heart.

4) By the end of the 2020s, the IN will have only six modern, diesel electric submarines --> Kalvari (Scorpene) Class. A good number of the HDW 209 and Kilo boats will have retired.
Yagnasri
BRF Oldie

Post by Yagnasri »

And we started this thread in Oct 2014. Still nothing. Not even knowledge of what we can get from the market. This is with Kungfu fighter, Parikarji, NS, and RNS as ministers. None of them can be called weak and incapable.

It shows how bad our processes are and how entrenched the interests that are detrimental to national security are.
Kersi D
BRFite

Post by Kersi D »

Pardon my cynic statement
Isn't this drama created to buy from Russia ?
Soon all bidders will back out except Rodina who will initially promise the moon and then maybe ..........
arvin
BRFite

Post by arvin »

Russia has also withdrawn. Anyway we are importing 3 used kilos from them.
Only Navantia and Daewoo are in fray.
Pratyush
BRF Oldie

Post by Pratyush »

Which submarine do the Russians have that meets our needs.

The only one that met Indian needs was an HDW design for an extremely large size with VLS and AIP. At a displacemet of either 4200 or 4800 tons. IIRC it was designated Type 218. But I have seen it showcased only once in the last few years.

The French short fin barracuda program was a dumpster fire.

The Japanese will not help modify the excellent boats they have.

The only real option right now is to scale down the Arihant and develop a diesel electric version of the boat. Perhaps fit the Scorpene combat management system.

But IN has wasted 8 years chasing unobtanium.
John
BRF Oldie

Post by John »

arvin wrote:Russia has also withdrawn. Anyway we are importing 3 used kilos from them.
Only Navantia and Daewoo are in fray.
No deal for Kilos was signed
arvin
BRFite

Post by arvin »

The deal is not signed yet but looks like it is being actively considered
This is from last year.
https://www.indiatoday.in/india-today-i ... 2021-08-04

Kilo fleet stands at 7, so these 3 will bring it back to original strength.
Hope Navy does due diligence and avoids Gorshkov saga again.
Pratyush
BRF Oldie

Post by Pratyush »

arvin wrote:The deal is not signed yet but looks like it is being actively considered
This is from last year.

Oh my god. Is there really no end to Indian stupidity? This should have been dead on arrival.
John
BRF Oldie

Post by John »

Pratyush wrote:
arvin wrote:The deal is not signed yet but looks like it is being actively considered
This is from last year.

Oh my god. Is there really no end to Indian stupidity? This should have been dead on arrival.
It is not being looked at, it was offered by Russia. Which are now instead pushing for new Kilo 636 variant instead.
Yagnasri
BRF Oldie

Post by Yagnasri »

Regret to say that, but we may have to look for some quick fix interim solution, say a half a dozen new versions of kilos may be with Lithium-ion batteries. Russians make them fast, require funds, and may be willing to give us a good deal. But on the other side, Khan may stop GE engines and what not to us. :(
Pratyush
BRF Oldie

Post by Pratyush »

Yagnasri wrote:Regret to say that, but we may have to look for some quick fix interim solution, say a half a dozen new versions of kilos may be with Lithium-ion batteries. Russians make them fast, require funds, and may be willing to give us a good deal. But on the other side, Khan may stop GE engines and what not to us. :(
Why go with kilo. Why not build modified Scorpene class submarines and see if we could fix the vulnerability caused by the data leak. Such as slightly alter the propeller. Or even swap it with a pump jet.

If our AIP is mature enough to be fitted in the boat during the upgrade during the first refit cycle for the current boats. Then it is sufficiently mature for new built Scorpene which will enter service from 2027, if one is ordered today.
Yagnasri
BRF Oldie

Post by Yagnasri »

Yes. Agree. We have all proposed that for a very long time. But no decision on that. In fact, given the needs we have going to have as most of the kilos retire in the next few years, both can be done to shore up the numbers asap. If the reports of China giving 8 SSKs with AIP to China is correct, then we are in a big problem. We do not have suitable Sub hunting helicopters on many of our capital ships now as reports no towed array sonars on many of our vessels.
Pratyush
BRF Oldie

Post by Pratyush »

The Navy seems to be open to dropping VLS requirements from the P75I.

That may increase the numbers of vendors able to contest.
Manish_Sharma
BRF Oldie

Post by Manish_Sharma »

^chaiwallah news, or there's a link?

I thought OEMs were opting out because of Navy asking for "real ToT".
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

They want to arm them with Nirbhay and not K-15s.
Hence no VLS.
nachiket
Forum Moderator

Post by nachiket »

ramana wrote:They want to arm them with Nirbhay and not K-15s.
Hence no VLS.
I don't think K-15 was ever on the agenda. The original plan was for Brahmos which would have also required VLS. K-15 would be way too big for this class of submarine. Even adding a VLS plug for Brahmos in the design has been too difficult.
Pratyush
BRF Oldie

Post by Pratyush »

DRDO has come up with a submarine TT launched Anti ship cruise missiles.

That could be the reason for deletion of VLS. As both nirbhay and the new missile can be shot from the TT.
Manish_Sharma
BRF Oldie

Post by Manish_Sharma »

Hence no VLS.
Yes Nirbhay has diameter of 520 mm so will be perfect fit for 530 mm torpedoes tubes.
Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya_V »

Manish_Sharma wrote:
Hence no VLS.
Yes Nirbhay has diameter of 520 mm so will be perfect fit for 530 mm torpedoes tubes.
So although Brahmos has been tested from Pontoons, no IN SSK is going to fire it, might be limited to INS Chakra 3 and local SSNs when they come online.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

Naval Group's focus during Defexpo 2022: Project 75 India and "concept" submarine SMX31E
https://www.ajaishukla.com/2022/03/nava ... -2022.html
01 March 2022
Manish_Sharma
BRF Oldie

Post by Manish_Sharma »

Didn't Australia dump it 'cause Barracuda shortfin was going overboard in budget?

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/federal ... 58r34.html

‘Lost the plot’: How an obsession with local jobs blew out Australia’s $90 billion submarine program
By Anthony Galloway
SEPTEMBER 14, 2021

Minchin isn’t surprised Australia’s future submarines are arriving later than expected and $40 billion more expensive. He has seen it all before.
SMXE seems even more sophisticated:
https://www.ajaishukla.com/2022/03/nava ... 2.html?m=1

The SMX31E is neither a nuclear-powered vessel, nor one that uses air independent propulsion (AIP). Yet Naval Group claims it will be no less capable than those – a fully electric submarine, whose batteries provide enough endurance for more than 60 days of operations at 5 knots, and more than 30 days at 8 knots.

The new SMX wil be a large, 3,200-tonne operational boat, with a length of 77 metres and around a dozen meters wide. It is twice the size of the 1,600-tonne Scorpène-class submarines that Naval Group has sold to Chile, Malaysia, Brazil and India.

Even so, the SMX31E will be crewed by just 15 sailors and officers, :shock: with room for accommodating additional commandos. Based on the current evolution of underwater technologies, Naval Group foresees higher levels of automation for future submarines.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

SMX31E and Shortfin Barracuda are two different boats in every aspect.

The only similarities that Shortfin Barracuda and SMX31E have is cost overruns and long delays.

Better to go in for a repeat order of (Improved) Scorpenes and partner with Naval Group on Project 75 Alpha - the Indian Navy program to build six SSNs. Better and quicker.
Vips
BRF Oldie

Post by Vips »

Way forward for Project 75(I) and MDL.

Project 75(I) is the second part of Phase I of the 30-year submarine building plan, approved by the CCS in Jul 1999, which was to be executed in the period 2000-15. Under this, six submarines of an appropriate design, preferably of a derivative of 877EKM like the Amur 1650 (Russia), were to be built in the period as stated above. Project 75 was the first part which was started in Oct 2005 and is nearing completion, with the sixth Kalvari class boat of Scorpene design to be delivered to the Navy by the end of this year.

Early Negotiations
As per the 30-year plan, discussions to identify the platform for P-75I were initiated with the Russian side in November 1999, which continued through December 2001. By then, it was understood that broad agreements on design specifications and transfer of design and build technology for Amur 1650 had been reached. Representatives of MDL and L&T also participated in this.

Consequently, follow-on actions to progress the project were taken up with the competent authority. It was towards the end of 2003. However, due to the announcement of early General elections in May 2004, the case was kept in abeyance until a new Government at the Centre was formed after the elections. The UPA formed the new Government at the Centre, and a review of all ongoing cases was undertaken, and as a result, P75(I) receded into the background. The contract for the Scorpene design with M/S DCN of France was concluded for P75 in Oct 2005, and construction activities with a delay started in MDL in real earnest only in 2010. Despite the initial hiccups, this programme has progressed well and will be complete by the end of this year.

Reformation of NSQRs for P75 (I)
As per the original approval of the 30-year plan, the two projects in Phase I viz; P75 and P75(I) were to have designs from Western Sources (Scorpene selected) and of Eastern (Russia) Origin for P75(I). In Phase II (2016-30), 12 submarines were to be made of a totally indigenous design incorporating the best of both the above-mentioned designs. However, since Project 75(I) as envisaged could not be progressed in parallel, as mandated by the 30-year plan, and due to a considerable time-lapse, the NSQRs for P 75(I) were reformed to include Air Independent Propulsion System (AIPS). The primary role for the boats under P75 (I) was the capability to attack targets ashore and deep inland; as such, a Land attack missile was integral to the QRs. The inclusion of AIPS created a dilemma in that the Russians did not have an AIPS, and the other contenders from the West did not have a sub-launched land attack missile. Thus the project stalled and could not be actively pursued.

Two lines of production
At the time of the initial discussions, since boats of two designs were to be built simultaneously, two production lines were under consideration. These were the established MDL and L&T that had gained experience building hull sections for a special project. The choice of two lines then was imperative since MDL would be fully loaded with P 75 and could not undertake series construction of 12 boats. Even to execute the P 75, an infrastructure upgrade in MDL was needed, and as understood, sums in hundreds of crores were budgeted. In addition, skill sets that had been lost due to the abandonment of the 5th & 6th SSKs of Shishumar class boats in the mid-80s needed to be created afresh. Just as a side effect, we lost trained manpower to South Korea, which was starting the production of conventional submarines.

Revival of P75 (I)
Once the P75 was truly underway, attention was once again turned to P 75(I) with the amended QRs. However, with the introduction of the new DPP of 2016, the concept of Strategic Partner Initiative (SPI) involving the Private Sector was introduced, and P75 (I) was earmarked as the first project to be undertaken with an SP. After many deliberations and fits and starts, two SPs were shortlisted viz; MDL and L&T. (One wonders why so many years were needed to decide this as way back in 2003 itself, it was clear that only these two had capabilities for submarine construction). It was also decided to go the competitive route to select the design collaborator. Accordingly, five potential collaborators viz; Rosoboronexport (Russia), Navantia (Spain), Daewoo (South Korea), DCN Naval Group (France) and Thyssenkrupp Marine Systems (FRG) have been shortlisted. The two SPs were asked to negotiate a tie-up with any one of the five collaborators and make a joint bid to the MOD for final selection. In my view, this is a harebrained scheme wherein a yard is to negotiate the technology transfer with each of the five collaborators and then decide on a bid with the selected partner. The induction of technology is a ‘user’ function and not that of the yard. The user should have done this activity at NHQ. Be that as it may, except for DSME (South Korea), all others showed hesitancy to participate due to the RFP’s conditions.

Further, it was not clear how a private yard would ensure the secrecy and integrity of the information without a sovereign guarantee. As of present, as understood, the matter rests here. The urgency to progress the project needs no emphasis as already the project is 20 years in arrears. The matters should be progressed with alacrity even if the RFP has to be tweaked to accommodate the concerns of the collaborators.

In the case of P75, the user first selected the Collaborator and the Yard MDL (Only one). During the negotiations with the Collaborator, the MDL team sat on the side of the MOD. Once that was complete, the yard had a clear idea of design transfer and collaboration costs and was in a firm position to bid for the total cost as the Principal Contractor. Accordingly, the next stage of negotiations was between the user (MOD) and the MDL for the total cost of the Project/boat. The success of this model was the fruition of the contract in the production and delivery of six boats of Scorpene design. This, in my view, is the only viable working model to follow.

Future Exploitation of Assets in MDL
The upgraded infrastructure created in MDL for P 75 has already gone idle, with the 6th submarine Vaghsheer in the final stages of construction. It would be a great folly to let this strategic asset go to waste without further orders. As stated earlier herein, in the initial stages of the implementation of Phase I of the 30-year plan, there was a necessity for a second line, but in the present circumstances, the same no longer holds. Further, the MDL has created the capacity to undertake a series of construction of 11 boats with the conversion of the Alcock yard to submarine building and the East Yard. This is a strategic defence asset of the Government of India and cannot be allowed to idle. The multiplicity of yards in such a vital sector is a luxury even the United States cannot afford. They have only two yards, viz; Newport and the Electric boat division at General Dynamics, which make strategic and tactical boats. In our case, we already have the Ship Building Centre dedicated to the Strategic Programme.

Continuation of Series Production
The 30 Year plan had envisaged a strategic vision of creating indigenous capability in the design and construction of conventional submarines in concert with the private sector. That aim remains valid even today. With the construction of 18-24 boats under the plan does not mean its end but a continuation of series construction to enable replacements as the older boats become due for retirement (Decommissioning). The capabilities thus created must remain alive and viable at all times. The intervals of outputs may be staggered to balance the yard loading and meet the force level requirements at any given time. What cannot be allowed, at any cost, is the non-utilisation of a strategic asset created at great costs not only in monetary terms but also in terms of skill sets and expertise either due to redundancy or demand. Our investments must be thus tuned to ensure capacity utilisation as an assembly line.

Way Forward
The goals and aim of the 30-year submarine building plan were well-considered and strategic in thought and nature. They must be implemented for our Navy to be self-sufficient (Atma Nirbhar) in meeting its own requirements of submarine force levels. In due course, it could also mean the ability to export submarines. Strategic assets like in MDL for the construction of submarines must be kept loaded and in activity mode at all times. This will not only ensure the survival and viability of these assets but also nurture innovation in the long run. Accordingly, since MDL is already selected as the SP, it must be nominated as the lead yard (Principal Contractor) for P75 (I) with a work-sharing relationship with L&T (The other SP). This will allow the rules of DPP to be also met. Redundancy built for just the sake of it may not be prudent in the present case. Work-sharing will also help reduce the delivery periods and, in some measure, mitigate the inordinate delay the 30 Year plan has suffered. The Contract for the Transfer of Design and Build technology must be between the user and the Collaborator (Principal Collaborator). We must not forget that Phase II is looming ahead.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

https://twitter.com/TheLegateIN/status/ ... JPit0VKxOw ---> France pulls out of Indian Navy P-75I submarine race. Spain and South Korea now only remaining contenders. France's Naval Group will now focus on fitting an anaerobic propulsion system to Indian Navy's Scorpenes during mid-life refit. Via metamarine-fr

https://twitter.com/VinodDX9/status/152 ... JPit0VKxOw --->
Japan: didn't respond
Sweden: pulled out
Russia: new+ Amur 1650, pulled out
Germany: Type 218, pulled out
France: based on SMX 3.0, pulled out
Spain: S80 plus
South Korea: based on KSS-III
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

The navy might adopt the IAF's Buy Global, Make in India scheme.

https://twitter.com/AdvaityaC/status/15 ... JPit0VKxOw ---> I guess this could be the death nail in the coffin of the much touted SP (Strategic Partnership) Model. First 111 NUH. Now P75I almost on the verge of same fate. Even inital LHD tender didn't go anywhere. @IAF_MCC is doing the right thing by choosing for Buy Global, Make in India instead of SP Model.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

Rakesh wrote: https://twitter.com/TheLegateIN/status/ ... JPit0VKxOw ---> France pulls out of Indian Navy P-75I submarine race. Spain and South Korea now only remaining contenders. France's Naval Group will now focus on fitting an anaerobic propulsion system to Indian Navy's Scorpenes during mid-life refit. Via metamarine-fr
French Naval Group withdraws from the competition of Indian Project-75I submarine
https://www.navyrecognition.com/index.p ... arine.html
29 April 2022
JTull
BRF Oldie

Post by JTull »

With Australia dumping France, I think we're going to see them contributing to our SSN program. It seems too obvious for them to pull out just before PM's visit.
Pratyush
BRF Oldie

Post by Pratyush »

The in 8 years of chai biskut sessions, we have not even been able to select a vendor.

I have a feeling that if the Indian Navy wanted then they could have designed a clean sheet submarine. On the basis of experience gained from the Arihant class submarine. It would have been every thing the navy wanted it to be.

That too without the risk of any data leakage from a foreign vendor.

How hard would it have been to accomplish?
Vips
BRF Oldie

Post by Vips »

Come on everything is not lost. Think of how our next bunch of bureaucrats have been trained in the fine art of guzzling chai, biskut, samosa's & making notations on files while delivering nothing.
John
BRF Oldie

Post by John »

JTull wrote:With Australia dumping France, I think we're going to see them contributing to our SSN program. It seems too obvious for them to pull out just before PM's visit.
Barracuda SSK variant has far too many unknowns and cannot compete on price either with DSME and S-80.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

JTull wrote:With Australia dumping France, I think we're going to see them contributing to our SSN program. It seems too obvious for them to pull out just before PM's visit.
https://twitter.com/arpitkanodia30/stat ... H0vesOUa7A ---> Naval Group is no longer part of the P-75I. De facto P-75I is dead. G-to-G is the future.

Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

https://twitter.com/DefenceDecode/statu ... H0vesOUa7A ---> Just ahead of PM Modi’s visit to France, French submarine manufacturer Naval Group has pulled out of India’s Project 75(I).

NG: "Naval Group has always been ready to offer the best in class and adapted solution for IndianNavy's P75(I), being fully in line with principle. However, the present RFP requires that the fuel cell AIP be sea proven, which is not the case because the French Navy does not use such a propulsion system. Nevertheless, we look forward to a closer association with India."
Pratyush
BRF Oldie

Post by Pratyush »

Rakesh wrote: https://twitter.com/DefenceDecode/statu ... H0vesOUa7A ---> Just ahead of PM Modi’s visit to France, French submarine manufacturer Naval Group has pulled out of India’s Project 75(I).

NG: "Naval Group has always been ready to offer the best in class and adapted solution for IndianNavy's P75(I), being fully in line with principle. However, the present RFP requires that the fuel cell AIP be sea proven, which is not the case because the French Navy does not use such a propulsion system. Nevertheless, we look forward to a closer association with India."
This is making sure that DRDO AIP will never be installed on any submarines. Because it will never be proven at sea.
SRajesh
BRF Oldie

Post by SRajesh »

Pratyushji
What does this suggest??
Are Babooze so confident that BJP wont be back at helm 2024??
Or feel that NaMo will go in 2025?? and a pliant leader will replace him??
IA being IA are being intransigent
Limited Airforce support for Desi maal
Now Naval force want Uber-Ola blue water fleet
What gives??
kit
BRF Oldie

Post by kit »

Rsatchi wrote:Pratyushji
What does this suggest??
What gives??

technology access limited by western countries and their proxies
., this has always been in the case of submarine technology , those access ever granted at *any* point was compromised conveniently

no stealth tech will be given to India at any point
no critical technology
Pratyush
BRF Oldie

Post by Pratyush »

What does this suggest??
What gives??
It's not babu's.

1) It's extreme risk avoidance by the Navy.

2) Coupled with an organisational incompetence in terms of the ability to evaluate technology developed by DRDO.

3) Lack of clear political inputs by the PM and below. In terms of what capacity military is required. Along with how it has to be achieved in order to further Indian interests abroad.

4) a general lack of understanding of how the world functions. Along with what is our place in it.

Coupled with the stupid belief, that by purchasing weapons for overseas we are buying influence with those nations. What you have is a recipe for the mess we find ourselves in.
Vips
BRF Oldie

Post by Vips »

kit wrote:
What does this suggest??
What gives??

., this has always been in the case of submarine technology , those access ever granted at *any* point was compromised conveniently

no critical technology
So if we do not get any value add TOT from Western suppliers then why buy from them? Either embark on an indigenous program or buy the Refurbished Kilo's from Russia. At least we will get them cheap to build the numbers.
kit
BRF Oldie

Post by kit »

Vips wrote:
kit wrote:

no critical technology
So if we do not get any value add TOT from Western suppliers then why buy from them? Either embark on an indigenous program or buy the Refurbished Kilo's from Russia. At least we will get them cheap to build the numbers.
i think there is a plan B with IN ., not sure how it will play out as it could involve boosting India's enriched uranium output
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

We won’t lecture, but want to boost India’s strategic autonomy, says French ambassador
https://theprint.in/diplomacy/we-want-t ... oy/957096/
16 May 2022
Earlier this month, on the eve of Prime Minister Modi’s visit to France the French conglomerate Naval Group walked out of the Indian Navy’s next big submarine project known as the Project-75(I) citing technical issues, particularly related to the air-independent propulsion (AIP) system. “For the next steps it’s up to India to set its requirements and decide what sort of submarines, the numbers it wants, but obviously the Naval Group and all the French industries which are involved in the submarine programme are ready and willing to be partners in the next steps,” he said.

“There have been some discussions, some issuance of RFP (request for proposal) for the P-75(I), there have been some specific things about the limited part in the equipment, about AIP, certain requirements are very complex for most companies and not only for French companies but for any of the companies and there have been some thinking and discussions,” the envoy highlighted.

But he said the Naval Group will continue to remain invested in India and will explore more programmes. “When India make its decisions and on which path it wants to go obviously Naval Group is there and willing to be as an investor to India, they will continue to invest in India as they believe they can bring a lot to India in terms of not only ‘Make in India’ but also in terms of autonomy and in terms of co-development,” he added.
‘AUKUS was breach of trust’

Despite the recent showdown between France and Australia over the Australia-UK-US trilateral military partnership, popularly called AUKUS, France said it remains deeply committed to the Indo-Pacific strategic conduct with India at its “core”.

“France has been the oldest Indo-Pacific driving force with India … AUKUS, obviously, was a major disappointment. It was a breach of trust but does it change our commitment? Not at all. Geography doesn’t change,” the French envoy said referring to the fact that France has over 2 million of its population residing in this region with thousands of troops stationed all across. “We just think that the challenge posed by a certain country in the region is manifold and in order to be up and to tackle the issue we need to be broad.”

However, Lenain said, the India-Australia-France trilateral partnership which was announced in 2021 will not be moving ahead as of now. “Regarding Australia, obviously now given the level of trust we cannot move on with the trilateral cooperation we envisaged. We will see, in the future, it might come back,” he said. He added that the new partner in lieu of Australia in this trilateral partnership can be the UAE. France was the first member of the European Union to roll out its own Indo-Pacific policy even as China’s belligerence in the region began to increase. France is holding the Presidency of the European Union since January this year and it will conclude in June.