Indian Military Helicopters

The Military Issues & History Forum is a venue to discuss issues relating to the military aspects of the Indian Armed Forces, whether the past, present or future. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
abhik
BRF Oldie

Re: Indian Military Helicopters

Postby abhik » 08 Jun 2019 09:55

Tata already builds fuselages for Boeing.

I think the correct word is assemble no?

pandyan
BRFite

Postby pandyan » 08 Jun 2019 10:12

JayS wrote:
pandyan wrote:Hari Sir,

How exactly does a wire strike protection system work? From filmi shoots, I thought main rotor or tail rotor were the ones to get entangled first. However, WSPS seems to protect against wire strikes near windshield. How effective is this? Looks like additional instruments are needed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rm6MwIdY4TA

yes saar, I saw that video too while searching for information.

What is interesting is the comment in the safety paper I had linked:
In addition, there were no fatalities in wire strike accidents after installing WSPS. While the reduction in the number of fatalities is due to the WSPS, it is conjectured that the reduction in the number of wire strike accidents is because the WSPS constantly alerts the pilot to possible wire strikes.

It appears that this systems helps "indirectly"

Aditya G
BRF Oldie

Postby Aditya G » 09 Jun 2019 19:23

Hari Nair sir,

Do you see a potential, even if limited, naval role for the LCH? For example they could operate off amphib ships in order to support beach assault?

Philip
BRF Oldie

Postby Philip » 09 Jun 2019 21:31

They don't have enough firepower to support landings.The Ru KA-52 which Egypt bought along with the two Mistrals originally meant for Russia are heavy hitters.Ideally, our planned 35K t amphibs should have either STOVL fighters like USMC Harriers and future F-35 Bs, or even our NLCAs if the deck is redesigned to allow the NLCA aboard.The ALH could be tweaked into a useful naval multi-role helo, but it would require extensive redesign.An auto folding system for rotors and tail boom essential and a surface search radar, ASW/SuW console, sonobuoys and LW ASW torpedoes.This will take time and there are already several such helos in service mainly European.

srin
BRFite

Postby srin » 09 Jun 2019 22:43

All this Dhruv auto-folding problem is confusing me - didn't HAL demo rotor and tail-boom autofolding in AI 19 ?

srin
BRFite

Postby srin » 10 Jun 2019 00:33

Please go to ~19:00 on the further process that needs to be followed.

gaurav.p
BRFite

Postby gaurav.p » 18 Jun 2019 18:06

Slight OT, but this seems to be the best video that I found wrt to blade folding of heptrs.

https://twitter.com/Sikorsky/status/1140602664625016835
Ready to go: Watch how the #CH53K’s blades fold, making it easy to transport by sea, air or land.

Philip
BRF Oldie

Postby Philip » 05 Jul 2019 17:32

ET.
No takers for HAL's offer of pvt. sector building ALH Dhruvs.Reasons:
Twice the operating cost per hr. (2.1L) compared with firanv rivals.It's also thr most rxpensive in its class and a 3.5% royalty, plus a max. prod. allowed of 90 helos .With no largr market in sight too, industry views the offer as a " white elephant".

Return to “Military Issues & History Forum”