Indian Military Helicopters

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
vivek_ahuja
BRF Oldie

Re: Indian Military Helicopters

Post by vivek_ahuja »

Khalsa wrote:The one image that answers the questions about the LoooongBow Radar.
yes we did get but not all have it nor do all need it.

Would love a word about this from Vivek_Ahuja about right now.
Khalsa: I think the original discussion we have had in the previous pages is still valid here. Unless these Longbow radars and Hellfire missiles are interoperable with the LCH, the Apaches will continue to operate in their own bubble. They will be akin to packs of wild dogs roaming around and ravaging any enemy they come across, but the LCH packs will end up remaining disconnected from them. This is my fundamental issue with the Apache acquisition.

Also, note from my previous posts about the hundreds of Hellfires being purchases for these Apaches. If they are not qualified on the LCH, does that mean that in a war with China in the high mountains, the LCH might run out of ATGM stocks and get crippled, even though the Apaches are sitting in the plains with hundreds of Hellfires in the warehouses?
manjgu
BRF Oldie

Post by manjgu »

why crippled... 1) LCH will have thousands of its missiles in the warehouse 2) if we are in a shooting match with the chinese, trust the apaches will be busy on the western sector. I hope u know what i mean.
vivek_ahuja
BRF Oldie

Post by vivek_ahuja »

manjgu wrote:LCH will have thousands of its missiles in the warehouse
Can you point me to some sources showing what purchases we have made or have planned to make for these missiles? What numbers have been purchased or earmarked for purchase? Which model of missile has been selected?

We have exact numbers for the Hellfires being procured, and planned, for the Apaches. I see no such numbers for the LCH, other than hand-waving.

Or is this more of a hope that when the time comes, we will have magically procured "thousands of its missiles" and so no need to worry?
vivek_ahuja
BRF Oldie

Post by vivek_ahuja »

manjgu wrote:if we are in a shooting match with the chinese, trust the apaches will be busy on the western sector. I hope u know what i mean.
I do know what you mean, but I reject this implicit assumption that a Chinese match will automatically include their Paki pets. The Pakis are known for being backstabbers. I doubt they will jump in just because China is in play. Also, the assumption here is that the Pakis have not already been neutered due to other geopolitical activities.

We seem to always assume that a match with China will happen when both the Pakis and Chinese will be equally ready and willing to wage war. There is no evidence to suggest this.

And even if this were true, purchasing two different helicopters with incompatible weapons and systems for different enemies is a luxury that India does not have a budget for.
rohitvats
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by rohitvats »

vivek_ahuja wrote:
manjgu wrote:LCH will have thousands of its missiles in the warehouse
Can you point me to some sources showing what purchases we have made or have planned to make for these missiles? What numbers have been purchased or earmarked for purchase? Which model of missile has been selected?

We have exact numbers for the Hellfires being procured, and planned, for the Apaches. I see no such numbers for the LCH, other than hand-waving.

Or is this more of a hope that when the time comes, we will have magically procured "thousands of its missiles" and so no need to worry?
Hmmm...for this, you need to check with DRDO on the status of HELINA missile.

Since we're sticking to HELINA missiles for LCH, till the time the missile fructifies, there will be no orders. If you want to see numbers, develop HELINA. Or Import! Then you'll see the exact numbers being ordered and stored. Like Hellfire for Apaches and Rs 200 crore order for Shtrum missiles for Mi-35.
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

Development apart, they then need to be price negotiated. As we have seen so far with the LCA, and Akash, that process can take up to 3 years for domestic systems. Pinaka Mk2, Akash Mk1S, Nag, Arjun Mk2, Arudhra radars are all in the "pipeline" as they are being price negotiated. No clear idea of what's going on with Astra either while we continue to buy RVV-AE. :roll:
vivek_ahuja
BRF Oldie

Post by vivek_ahuja »

Karan M wrote:Development apart, they then need to be price negotiated. As we have seen so far with the LCA, and Akash, that process can take up to 3 years for domestic systems. Pinaka Mk2, Akash Mk1S, Nag, Arjun Mk2, Arudhra radars are all in the "pipeline" as they are being price negotiated. No clear idea of what's going on with Astra either while we continue to buy RVV-AE. :roll:
Exactly.

And then I think of the hundreds of Hellfires that are already being delivered for the Apaches just sitting there while the LCH flies around toothless (guns and rocket pods notwithstanding).

I think it was a huge missed oppurtunity to not ask for the Hellfire integration into the LCH as part of the Apache deal.
arvin
BRFite

Post by arvin »

Allowing hellfire with LCH would impact future sales of apache (read IA). Doubt they would allow it. The weapons and sensors(longbow) were the bait to buy the platform.
They might allow helina on apache if we ask for it, just like israelis fire spike from their apache.
But for only 22 apache we bought insanely high number of hellfire 800 mmw, 500 regular. and 245 stingers.
If we want to exhaust these we may be forced to buy other US weapon platforms.
Also iaf no 125 squadron badge says 'peace through superior fire power' which I think means they will be used in defensive roles like protecting shakargarh bulge instead of punching through rajasthan.
VikramA
BRFite

Post by VikramA »

is there any info on AH64s able to network with LCH in the future? or are we looking at a situation where LCH + Rudra squadrons are working on their own in their little bubble and AH 64 s are working on their own, unable to communicate with each other except over voice comms
Last edited by VikramA on 07 Sep 2019 00:08, edited 3 times in total.
nachiket
Forum Moderator

Post by nachiket »

I remember reading long ago that the PARS-3 LR might be integrated with the LCH (and Rudra) as a stopgap till the HELINA was ready. No news after that. The result is that the Rudra is flying around in IA service today with no ATGM and no clear idea (in public at least) as to when the HELINA will be operational on it.
Atmavik
BRFite

Post by Atmavik »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlyC8MoJsaU

Shiv Aroor metions helina or PARS-3 @ 8:21. he just flew in the LCH
John
BRF Oldie

Post by John »

Wasn’t Pars acquisition held up because of Russian complaints.
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

Look at the cockpit video of LUH at hot and high conditions. It is still so agile.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1169541193048281089
Thakur_B
BRF Oldie

Post by Thakur_B »

John wrote:Wasn’t Pars acquisition held up because of Russian complaints.
PARS was competing against Spike.
manjgu
BRF Oldie

Post by manjgu »

my analysis is .... a shooting match with Pakis will not invite any Chinki intervention..but Pakis will surely try to do their bit if we are in a shooting match with chinkis. The paki grouse is that they didnt take advantage of 1962 ... i doubt they will let go the oppurtunity if it presents itself. But JMT...
Gagan
BRF Oldie

Post by Gagan »

Chinese will do some drama at the LAC, to show their solidarity with the Pakistanis.
They will do aggressive patrols in the areas jointly patrolled by India and China, but we know this already.
There will be some sound, but no real substance.

But 100%, there won't be a single bullet fired across the LAC or the MacMohan line. China won't spoil its relationship with India for Pakistan
Gagan
BRF Oldie

Post by Gagan »

Indranil wrote:Look at the cockpit video of LUH at hot and high conditions. It is still so agile.

Khardung La?
Khalsa
BRFite

Post by Khalsa »

vivek_ahuja wrote: Note the special coating on the engine boom to prevent it from melting from the hot jet flow over it.
What an amazing eye for detail ? Good Lord !!

vivek_ahuja wrote:The Ka-226 is another one of the geopolitical buys from Russia in the same way that the Apache is from the USA.

I wonder if the armed forces also push for these sales as a way of applying pressure on homegrown projects to speed up their programs or lose out. Can't blame them if that is the motive. I mean, can you imagine the speed of work from HAL on the LUH if the Ka-226 was not hanging like a sword above the LUH program?
Same with Apache for the LCH program, perhaps?
With regards to the Ka-226 and European Typhoon I agree.
The Ka-226 allows us to buy strategic leverage and Typhoon buys us none hence why it was a never good contender for MRCA.
vivek_ahuja wrote: Also, note from my previous posts about the hundreds of Hellfires being purchases for these Apaches. If they are not qualified on the LCH, does that mean that in a war with China in the high mountains, the LCH might run out of ATGM stocks and get crippled, even though the Apaches are sitting in the plains with hundreds of Hellfires in the warehouses?
I seriously doubt the OEM is going to allow both of what you described here.
1. Data Sharing and Shared Intelligence network i.e everyone publishes to a unified intelligence net and anyone can subsribe.
2. Weapons Integration of Hell Fire.

I cast my mind back to when French refused some sort of Helmet based integration or an Israeli Dash helmet into the rafale.

For now I believe/ I think the OEM will not allow any of the above.
They might allow #2 later as it will lead to sales of more ammo.
However If we could we should go for #1.

The Apache will always be a winner in the plains of Punjab and Dunes of RaJasthan.
I think its an awesome machine that is going to massive ripples in the armoured patterns of the Opposition. Would you not love to be a fly on the wall in the mess of Pak Armoured regiments tonight.

I think for go forward of our desh, we need that missile integration and confirmed sales # showing up in media. As you pointed out to another poster.
Something smells there. What are we waiting for before pulling the trigger on LCH and LCA Mk1a ?
I don't get it.
Khalsa
BRFite

Post by Khalsa »

Gagan wrote:
Indranil wrote:Look at the cockpit video of LUH at hot and high conditions. It is still so agile.

Khardung La?
Yes and the second part is flying back to Leg. The Descent.
srin
BRF Oldie

Post by srin »

Vips wrote:

India Today - Shiv Aroor's flight and report on LCH.
At ~8:30, "potential for laser pointed rockets". Hmm - very interesting. :)

Wonder if there is a guidance kit that can be strapped on (like converting dumb bombs into LGBs).
Chinmay
BRFite

Post by Chinmay »

srin wrote: At ~8:30, "potential for laser pointed rockets". Hmm - very interesting. :)

Wonder if there is a guidance kit that can be strapped on (like converting dumb bombs into LGBs).
Multiple ones exist, including the BAe APKWS, Raytheon's TALON and Elbit's GATR.
Gagan
BRF Oldie

Post by Gagan »

Khalsa wrote:
Gagan wrote: Khardung La?
Yes and the second part is flying back to Leg. The Descent.
I've found it.
This is Pullu town, it is north of the pass, and they fly back further north towards Khardung village onwards to Thoise.
This is north of Khardung La pass headed to Thoise.
Last edited by Gagan on 07 Sep 2019 22:23, edited 1 time in total.
pushkar.bhat
BRFite

Post by pushkar.bhat »

I think if and when the KA-226 gets inducted it will be handed over to the MT section as a staff helicopter :)
Picklu
BRF Oldie

Post by Picklu »

vivek_ahuja wrote:
Rakesh wrote:https://twitter.com/HALHQBLR/status/1169519371263201280 ---> Light Utility Helicopter Clears High Weather Tests at Himalayas.
How cool is the visualization of the engine exhaust being bent vertically down after leaving the engine by the rotor downwash ? 8)

Probably cooling and dissipating the exhaust jet as well. Note the special coating on the engine boom to prevent it from melting from the hot jet flow over it.
Dumb Q:

Isn't the scheme supposed to disperse the hot air over a larger area laterally to quickly cool them down for IR signature reduction? Would the temp differential gradient with surrounding not be high in the exhaust/rotor area in the current scheme of things to attract heat seekers more?
Picklu
BRF Oldie

Post by Picklu »

vivek_ahuja wrote:The Ka-226 is another one of the geopolitical buys from Russia in the same way that the Apache is from the USA.

I wonder if the armed forces also push for these sales as a way of applying pressure on homegrown projects to speed up their programs or lose out. Can't blame them if that is the motive. I mean, can you imagine the speed of work from HAL on the LUH if the Ka-226 was not hanging like a sword above the LUH program?

Same with Apache for the LCH program, perhaps?
Well, I fully agree with a time bound back up induction plan to ensure ops efficiency as well as a pressure point to primary development agency. But when the primary is fructifying in a good pace, going ahead with the back up induction, that too with a high percentage split of 50-50 with investment in local manufacture seems to be a wasteful expenditure. At his point, I am ok to induct couple of squadrons fully built at Russia and delivered ready to fly at the earliest to replace the aged cheetahs at siachen
Picklu
BRF Oldie

Post by Picklu »

nachiket wrote:I remember reading long ago that the PARS-3 LR might be integrated with the LCH (and Rudra) as a stopgap till the HELINA was ready. No news after that. The result is that the Rudra is flying around in IA service today with no ATGM and no clear idea (in public at least) as to when the HELINA will be operational on it.
Again, if Helina is our primary candidate, we should not take spike or pars3 as backup missile for LCH. Backup should be existing russian atgm stock already integrated with our other helicopters. This will ensure LCH gets inducted at the earliest without added complexity of new missile development and integration. That way, our existing voluminous stocks are fully usable on LCH making it a potent platform from day 1.

Pars/Spike 3 should be backup candidate for Helina to put pressure on dev agency if it does not fructify on time.

Essentially, a single project should be split in two as:

Proj 1: Develop LCH --> Integrate existing russian atgm + a2a missile stock and existing rocket laucher pods --> induct LCH at the earliest and start building up squadron numbers quickly. This will also give additional time to stabilize teething trouble with the platform and manufacturing/supply chain.

Project 2: Develop Helina (Keeping Spike/Pars3 as backup) with time bound plan separate from LCH --> if Helina is too slow in dev, induct a few spike/pars3 fully imported and work on integration after induction of LCH --> once helina is up and running, induct helina with integration on LCH

In essence, I do not see why the versatile fighting platforms like LCH and Arjun should be held back by coupling their induction to green field development of some specific weapon like Helina or CLGM which are just a part of their overall functionalities and for which easy backup exists covering at least 90% of the capabilites
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

Picklu wrote:
Rakesh wrote:Picklu, AFAIK only the Army and Air Force are acquiring the Ka-226.
Exactly my point admiral, i do not see any reason why for IAF and IA other than not getting solely dependent on French Engine.

I could have understood if navy had argued in the favour of double engine for the sake of safety. But IA & IAF, really?????
Actually Picklu, I am wrong in a sense. While the Army and Air Force are acquiring the Ka-226, the helicopter is in contention for the Navy's 111 Naval Utility Helicopter (NUH) contest. If she wins, it will likely be the first aero platform operated by all three services.

Proposals submitted for India’s NUH helicopter programme
https://www.janes.com/article/89021/pro ... -programme
Industry officials told Jane’s that in response to the MoD’s Request for Expression of Interest (REoI) issued in February, Airbus Helicopters is offering its H145M and AS565 Panther, while Lockheed Martin is proposing the Sikorsky S-76D, and Russian Helicopters its Kamov Ka-226T ‘Hoodlum’.
Picklu
BRF Oldie

Post by Picklu »

Rakesh wrote:
Picklu wrote:
Exactly my point admiral, i do not see any reason why for IAF and IA other than not getting solely dependent on French Engine.

I could have understood if navy had argued in the favour of double engine for the sake of safety. But IA & IAF, really?????
Actually Picklu, I am wrong in a sense. While the Army and Air Force are acquiring the Ka-226, the helicopter is in contention for the Navy's 111 Naval Utility Helicopter (NUH) contest. If she wins, it will likely be the first aero platform operated by all three services.

Proposals submitted for India’s NUH helicopter programme
https://www.janes.com/article/89021/pro ... -programme
Industry officials told Jane’s that in response to the MoD’s Request for Expression of Interest (REoI) issued in February, Airbus Helicopters is offering its H145M and AS565 Panther, while Lockheed Martin is proposing the Sikorsky S-76D, and Russian Helicopters its Kamov Ka-226T ‘Hoodlum’.

As I said, the twin engine chopper would be better from naval safety perspective (though the restrictions to prevent "blade rendezvous" may crimp the style somewhat during adverse weather)
abhik
BRF Oldie

Post by abhik »

Does the Kamov Ka-226T have auto blade folding (which was the major complaint with ALH)? Do all the others have it?
Vivek K
BRF Oldie

Post by Vivek K »

Its imported - why would that apply to it?
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

Vivek sirji, you are going overboard. Please tone it down.
Sandrokottos
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Sandrokottos »

srin wrote:At ~8:30, "potential for laser pointed rockets". Hmm - very interesting. :)

I think he means a CLGM type helicopter launched variant.
Avinandan
BRFite

Post by Avinandan »

abhik wrote:Does the Kamov Ka-226T have auto blade folding (which was the major complaint with ALH)? Do all the others have it?

As distinct from the “land-based” version, light utility ship-based Ka-226T helicopter features a blade folding system of the main rotor.
https://www.defenseworld.net/news/22336 ... XSz1B5X40M
ashishvikas
BRFite

Post by ashishvikas »

Security Scan - Kamov Ka-226T

Ka-226T is a light twin engine multi role helicopter manufactured by Russian Helicopters. It can be used for surveillance , reconnaissance , search and rescue mission and transportation of cargo and troops . It is designed for operations in hard to reach areas and tough climatic conditions . Ka-226T is being looked at as a replacement for the ageing Cheetah and Chetak fleets of Indian Army and Indian Air Force.

https://youtu.be/J13T77t99q8
mody
BRFite

Post by mody »

In my opinion (which doesn't count for diddly squat), just order 60 Ka-226T for the Navy. You can get interchangeable cabin modules for SAR and anti-sub operations. The anti-sub module can have a dunking sonar and ability to carry Shyena light weight torpedoes. LUH all the way for IA and IAF.
Kartik
BRF Oldie

Post by Kartik »

HAL awaits contract for Light Utility Helicopter
Government-owned Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd (HAL) has completed high-altitude testing in hot-and-high weather conditions of the Light Utility Helicopter (LUH) in the Himalayas. AIN has learned that, while HAL is close to operational clearance certification, with some systems tests and documentation still to be completed, it is unable to move much further with production until a contract is signed. However, the Ministry of Defense has not committed to a deadline.

Nearly 400 Chetak and Cheetah replacements are required. And instead of just giving the entire order to HAL for the LUH, which would be tempting for a bunch of private MSMEs and larger entities, they want to split the order between LUH and Ka-226Ts. Just cannot understand the logic of doing that!

Just give the entire 400 unit order to HAL and some private sector units for the LUH and be done with it! Why give away money to Russia for a redundant helicopter like the Ka-226T? What is there to gain with that type?
VinodTK
BRF Oldie

Post by VinodTK »

Security Scan - Kamov Ka-226T
Raghunathgb
BRFite

Post by Raghunathgb »

Just give the entire 400 unit order to HAL and some private sector units for the LUH and be done with it! Why give away money to Russia for a redundant helicopter like the Ka-226T? What is there to gain with that type?
HAL is the chosen agency to manufacture KA-226T in India. So HAL will get all the pie irrespective of orders. MSME will the ones which will be loosing out.
Vivek K
BRF Oldie

Post by Vivek K »

So do you mean to say that Russia gets nothing out of HAL manufacturing Ka226T? Sir, with all due respect and humility, I suggest you read a little about economics.
Cybaru
BRF Oldie

Post by Cybaru »

The time for KA226T is now past. There really is no need for it.

If the Russian military complex has to be appeased (not sure why?) but the strategic thing to do for Russia is to get 100 Mi17 order through the Indian books before the IMRH starts flying in three/four years. That order is at-least 3 times bigger than KA226T order. It helps India and Russia both and doesn't even begin with the SCAM of assembling in India.

That also reduces any pressure on HAL to get IMRH right for all the three services.