Breaking news: Coast guard intercepted terrorist boat

The Military Issues & History Forum is a venue to discuss issues relating to the military aspects of the Indian Armed Forces, whether the past, present or future. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
SwamyG
BRF Oldie

Re: Breaking news: Coast guard intercepted terrorist boat

Post by SwamyG »

Boss log, this is part of the offensive-defensive strategy of Doval. Pakistan must have received the message. This game will continue. Fake or real encounter at Sea? Truth will be truth and hidden.
ldev
BRF Oldie

Post by ldev »

SwamyG wrote:Boss log, this is part of the offensive-defensive strategy of Doval. Pakistan must have received the message. This game will continue. Fake or real encounter at Sea? Truth will be truth and hidden.
And this quote I think is the best summary of what has happened.
Victor
BRF Oldie

Post by Victor »

Clearly major FUD being spread by paid media to discredit Modi govt and God knows what else. After Saint Anthony, anything is possible.

Navy not in loop and/or ignores intel report from NTRO/CG Dornier.
The only thing that makes sense here is Navy told CG, go ahead, take them out. Or maybe the SOP is for CG to report to Navy only if there is something they can't handle. It is Coast Guard's job to guard the coast and sending a naval warship after every paki fishing boat is not the most rational thing to do.

Coast Guard may have mistakenly blown up an innocent paki fishing boat or a little less-innocent smuggler's boat.
Well first of all, if the CG had used its 30mm auto cannon on that boat, there would be no boat left. Each 30mm shell is like a massive grenade that would blow a 5 ft hole in a brick wall and even a short burst would have blown a fishing boat to smithereens. What we see instead is a fire that has engulfed the fishing boat which looks intact. This could only happen if the CG threw kerosene stoves, molotov cocktails or diwali crackers on the boat. And of course, if the jehadis set fire to it themselves.

The story about sailors setting fire on their own boat and going down with it is bull cock (or is it cock bull?).
Even dumb and dumber is not so dumb. Jihadi 101 => they don't think and if told to do so, they will blow themselves up to frolic with the 72. It's totally painless and no more putting up with goats. These were obviously hardened, highly motivated jihadis taking an extreme step to prevent whatever was on that boat from being discovered. They first tried to run but had obviously realized that they were not going to reach paki waters before the CG ship caught up to them.
Last edited by Victor on 04 Jan 2015 00:38, edited 1 time in total.
member_22733
BRF Oldie

Post by member_22733 »

If this is Doval doctrine at work : it's in our national interest not to speculate, and speak in one voice. DON'T RUN FROM THE COAST GUARD IF YOU HAVE NOTHING TO HIDE.
PratikDas
BRFite

Post by PratikDas »

jerry wrote:Just tweeted:User Actions
Follow

Saurav Jha
‏@SJha1618
Moreover this 'was the Navy kept in the loop' business is an attempt to get somebody to reveal our coastal command structure.

jfk
We're certainly seeing this happening as well.
Victor
BRF Oldie

Post by Victor »

We will find flotsam and human remains soon enough. Everything cannot sink. Hopefully the waters are not too deep to find the sunken hulk itself.
SwamyG
BRF Oldie

Post by SwamyG »

Ldev, if my theory is correct then in this match India beat Pakistan 6-0, 6-0,6-0. We can spend time discussing how a few points were lost by India. BUT Pakistan did not even win one game. India and Pakistan are preparing for the next match. Commentators and fans will discuss thread bare on those few lost points.

If I read Doval and Modi correctly they are going to wage a war inside Pakistan. Pakis should be very afraid.
Last edited by SwamyG on 04 Jan 2015 00:50, edited 1 time in total.
kmkraoind
BRF Oldie

Post by kmkraoind »

B Raman on NDTV-The Hindu-PakiArmy Axis - Storify - Multiple tweets

Strictly speaking the above Storify is not related to this incident, but it gives about a glimpse how Pak-ISI are using Indian MSM for their propaganda.
pankajs
BRF Oldie

Post by pankajs »

I definitely feel there is something fishy in the GOI/IN/CG response. Why hasn't the Andaman command issued a statement?? For that matter why haven't we heard from the Leh or is it Srinagar based 15 corp?

Modi jaawab do!
Last edited by pankajs on 04 Jan 2015 00:53, edited 1 time in total.
vishvak
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by vishvak »

From article by Nitin Gokhale link mentioned above,
For the past three months, several intelligence inputs have indicated that Pakistan’s ISI continues its relentless attempts to send hit squads of the Lashkar-e-Toiba (LeT) into India both through the land and maritime boundaries.
We are living with a rabid dog of a neighbor that just declares others as kufr so that terrorism looks acceptable.
member_22733
BRF Oldie

Post by member_22733 »

I am surprised the warning shots werr not a brahmos. There is fishy that the warning shots were fired using cannons. Modi must answer on why this SOP was not followed. Too fishy only (probably because it was on the sea)
ldev
BRF Oldie

Post by ldev »

SwamyG wrote:Ldev, if my theory is correct then in this match India beat Pakistan 6-0, 6-0,6-0. We can spend time discussing how a few points were lost by India. BUT Pakistan did not even win one game. India and Pakistan are preparing for the next match. Commentators and fans will discuss thread bare on those few lost points.

If I read Doval and Modi correctly they are going to wage a war inside Pakistan. Pakis should be very afraid.
That is correct. After my initial post about the apparent no IN backstop to the CG, I began thinking about non-conventional responses (which do not fit current SOPs) which Doval has spoken off before he became NSA and this operations begins to fit that description. It looks like a message has been spent.
Ashokk
BRFite

Post by Ashokk »

Naval base inauguration, Gujarat meet targets of Pak boat crew?
The inauguration of a naval base by the Prime Minister or an annual investment summit in Gujarat was the possible target of the four men on board the Pakistani boat that blew up close to India’s west coast, defence minister Mahohan Parrikar has been told.

The opening of the naval facility at Porbandar, Gujarat, had been put off indefinitely, sources said. Parrikar was Saturday briefed by the top Indian Coast Guard commanders, two days after the maritime force intercepted an explosive-laden trawler, whose crew set it on fire 15 minutes into the new year, sources said. The boat was 371km off Porbandar.

Though the security establishment is tight-lipped, counter-terror officials told HT the interception of the boat was the outcome of a 15-day-long tracking and surveillance operation, monitored at the highest level of the national security establishment led by National Security Advisor Ajit Doval.

“We not only know who is involved from Pakistani side but also have the video footage of the boat — from interception to the sinking,” an official told HT on condition of anonymity. :twisted:

“It was a successful counter-terror operation with visual footage available at each stage.” the officer said.

With the men carrying satellite phones, the National Technical Research Organisation, which had alerted the coast guard about the boat on December 31, had picked some chatter and was keeping a close watch days before the men set sail from Keti Bunder along the Karachi coast, sources said. The 26/11 terrorists, too, had started on their terror journey from the Pakistani port city.

Spectroscopic analysis, said sources, confirmed the presence of explosives on board the rogue vessel.

“That the Pakistani men on board blew themselves up with the boat shows that they were on a suicide mission. If they were ordinary smugglers, why did they run towards Pakistani waters when challenged,” a top defence ministry official said. “The coast guard did not target the boat but the satellite phone-carrying terrorists… blew themselves up.”

The security establishment, however, is not sharing details, saying it doesn’t want to compromise its intelligence channel, sources and capabilities across the border.

Parrikar was told about the sinking of the boat, which came after a tense 16-hour drama in the Arabian Sea, around 9am on January 1 as he was boarding a flight to Bengaluru, sources said.
Prem Kumar
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem Kumar »

Read this epic takedown of Praveen Swami:: What does Praveen Swami know that the Coast Guard doesn’t?
Prem Kumar
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem Kumar »

Praveen Swami's IE gasticle had interesting hyperlinks: they refer to an earlier report by him, pointing to "gaping holes" in coastal security. So, one would think that a successful operation like this one would cause him to introspect.

No, Sir. Instead, the narrative goes like this:

a) Maritime Security is a mess
b) No coordination, SOP, lack of training, maintenance, manpower etc
c) To cover up for this ineptitude, the Coast Guard goes Rambo and destroys an innocent smuggling vessel (while violating SOP in the process)
d) Coast Guard also tells lies in order to cover-up for its systematic failures & its latest goof-up
e) By the way, please email that SOP to me so that I can pass it on to my ISI handlers

MSM is creating a lot of FUD so that a brilliantly coordinated success can be painted as a trigger-happy, SOP failure
SwamyG
BRF Oldie

Post by SwamyG »

Folks anot honest question. Does it make economic sense to smuggle liquor or diesel? I mean these boats are not massive and could ferry only so much quantities. H I weber fake currency, precious stones/metals or drugs or more profitable. I think the entire Punjab is reeling at drug menace sponsored by Pakistan.
SwamyG
BRF Oldie

Post by SwamyG »

Maybe this entire episode is to flush out 'sources' aka moles in the 'system'. Pravin walked into a trap?
:rotfl:
Akshay Kapoor
Forum Moderator

Post by Akshay Kapoor »

Guys Chacko Joseph (PBUH) and his ilk are just upset that there were no Indian casualties and also they did not get a chai samosa briefing from Navy PR. I have given a few ways how the op could have unfolded in my post earlier. Don't worry too much...a great job was done and a fair bit of scotch is on its way from Navy to CG.

Re maritime security SOPs Chacko (PBUH) hasn't the first idea about it. I have touched upon it in my post earlier. Basically Navy is overall command but largely as a coordinator not as an executor. This is a pure CG op including post op activities like interrogation (along with int agencies). Navy will play 0 role in that. Also don't forget CG is part of Navy chain of command in a way. DG coast guard is always a Naval officer. This is not similar to BSF and Army. CG and Navy work quite closely. In fact FOC n C West Adm Chopra was DG Coast Guard IIRC.

Nothing to be gained by looking at SOPs and whether they were followed. SOPs also change as the situation demands. Flexibility and initiative are crucial. But again these so called defence journos wouldn't know aft from stern or a guerilla from a gorilla though a lot of them resemble the latter ;-)
Last edited by Akshay Kapoor on 04 Jan 2015 04:41, edited 1 time in total.
sanjaykumar
BRF Oldie

Post by sanjaykumar »

I have sometimes felt that there is greater freedom in India than in the US. There would never be such reportage in the first few days of an incident. Months later some obscure sheet read only by marijuana smokers like Mother Jones might hint darkly at government lies :)

It seems that the fishermen (a significant word) were ferrying across some Good News reading pamphlets, stopped for a smoke whilst being given chase by the Coast Guard and had their boat catch fire from baleful Hindutvadi glares.
Akshay Kapoor
Forum Moderator

Post by Akshay Kapoor »

Freedom or stupidity or treason ?
PratikDas
BRFite

Post by PratikDas »

I think it is an irritant to Pakistan that their greatest export, pestilent terrorism, has been rightfully resolved by the Indian Coast Guard. If the Indian Navy isn't involved then it becomes harder to garner international headlines. How then will they make false accusations of impropriety?

They would've also woken up to the fact that the Indian Armed Forces has 4 prongs, not 3.
Akshay Kapoor
Forum Moderator

Post by Akshay Kapoor »

SwamyG wrote:Ldev, if my theory is correct then in this match India beat Pakistan 6-0, 6-0,6-0. We can spend time discussing how a few points were lost by India. BUT Pakistan did not even win one game. India and Pakistan are preparing for the next match. Commentators and fans will discuss thread bare on those few lost points.

Waging war in Pakland - Ghee shakkar SwamyG . But What makes you say this ? Please share with us. I have heard Doval pre NSA many times of course but what makes you say this now ?
uddu
BRF Oldie

Post by uddu »

Finally the Coast guard reaching maturity. Very long back i did post a view that Indian coast guard must be able to deal with Pakistan in the western coast on its own. Currently they are able to deal with terrorists send by Pakistan. Not far from now they must have capability to deal with Pakistani Navy on its own. (By 2018 to have frigate size ships armed with anti-Ship missiles to take on Pakistani navy and by 2022 to have silent mini-Submarines capable of dealing with Pakistani subs. (If Pakistan exists that long) :D
uddu
BRF Oldie

Post by uddu »

From Media management point of view, I think Pakistan need to be confronted and we must seek the shutting down of terror factories in Pakistan..with each attempt by Pakistan the pressure mounted on Pakistan be higher..Internationalization of Pakistan being a terrorist nation which exports terrorists to India and worldwide..
Hence Destruction of the evil called Pakistan being of primary importance.
sooraj
BRFite

Post by sooraj »

SwamyG wrote:Maybe this entire episode is to flush out 'sources' aka moles in the 'system'. Pravin walked into a trap?
:rotfl:
+100
chackojoseph
BRF Oldie

Post by chackojoseph »

ldev wrote:If the IN was not in the loop for this operation it is a matter of some concern, not because things did not go well this time, but because of its implications for future encounters e.g. if Pakistan believes that the Indian Coast Guard is all that it has to deal with in the future when sending more such "fishing boats" out towards India (and there will be more of them coming no doubt), then there is nothing to prevent them from having some of these "fishing boats" shadowed by PN submarines, to let loose some torpedoes against any intervening Indian Coast Guard ships. That will be a huge PR victory for them. As such it is important to keep the IN fully in the loop in case of future encounters where the Coast Guard does not have the sensors/firepower to deal with an escalating situation which may involve the PN.
Indeed. This comes as a shocker. Something is not right about the entire thing. If Navy (they have been at odds with previous NDA govt in Burmese rebels case and others) has been bypassed, then there is a new trend emerging.
chackojoseph
BRF Oldie

Post by chackojoseph »

ashokk wrote: “That the Pakistani men on board blew themselves up with the boat shows that they were on a suicide mission. If they were ordinary smugglers, why did they run towards Pakistani waters when challenged,” a top defence ministry official said. “The coast guard did not target the boat but the satellite phone-carrying terrorists… blew themselves up.”
The CG release says that the terrorist set fire to boat and then the boat exploded as a result. The boat burned a lot of time as per the pics by CG.
sunilUpa
BRFite

Post by sunilUpa »

ldev wrote:Another news report on the IN not being in the loop.

Why did the Navy not use its UAV squadron at Porbandar?
A vital asset – one closest to the scene of the dramatic December 31 Coast Guard operation – that could have helped identify and elicit more information about the ‘terror’ boat was with the Navy’s Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV) squadron at Porbandar. Yet, on December 31, the squadron had no information whatsoever nor was it pressed into action even after the National Technical Research Organisation (NTRO) tracked a communication between a Karachi-based handler and crewmembers of a boat said to be carrying terror operatives from Pakistan.

If sources in the Navy’s Western Command are to be believed there was little information available to them to launch an operation similar to the one carried out by the Coast Guard on December 31.

INAS 343 – the UAV base – when commissioned at Porbandar in January 2011 was considered to be a shot in the arm for the Indian Navy considering Karachi’s proximity, about 450 kilometres from Porbandar, and particularly the presence of Pakistan’s Special Services Group (SSG) in the Pakistani city.

The UAV squadron with Israeli Herons and Searcher MK-II was well suited to carrying out a reconnaissance, identifying and even intercepting any further calls being made by the crew of the ‘terror’ boat that sank about 356 kilometres off the Porbandar coast. Though one of the UAVs had crashed in November last year, the Navy had three more capable of gathering both electronic and imagery intelligence. Navy sources said that the Searcher MK-II – a third generation UAV – is equipped with a sophisticated electro optic camera and with equipment to gather communication intelligence (COMINT).

The NTRO-Coast Guard operation also raises serious questions about the standard operating procedures laid down by the cabinet committee on coastal security (CCCS) after the 26/11 Mumbai terror strike. To avoid a fiasco of the magnitude of 26/11, the CCCS had appointed the Indian Navy as the nodal agency for coastal security. The decision saw INS Angre in Mumbai being designated as the Joint Operations Centre (JOC) for the western maritime frontier.

Hotlines to coordinate with various agencies, and state-of-the-art rapid messaging service technology to communicate with ships were installed to thwart any threat in real time. The JOC (West) was to operate under the command Flag Officer Commanding-in-Chief (FOC-in-C) of the Western Naval Command.

“If the JOC was alerted about any such actionable intelligence, the Navy would have definitely moved its assets,” said a navy official, requesting anonymity. The criticality of the region, the unresolved border issues near Sir Creek coupled with Pakistan’s escalation of firing on the Line of Control (LoC) had seen the Western Command deploy its assets in the region, the official said.
Why this continued interest in knowing the SOP? If something did work, why question it? If the Def. Dept. says they were tracking this boat from weeks and had monitored the communication between the boat and their handlers in Pakistan, isn't it enough details? In my opinion GoI already said too much.
chackojoseph
BRF Oldie

Post by chackojoseph »

SOP is very clear from the innumerable exercises. Hence the questions. Navy has all the right resources for thejob and it can ask for CG ships too.

Only 1 CG ship was used to chase 2 terror ships? Is that we are being fed?

As per CG release the CG ships and a/c are searching for possible survivors. There is no mention of a second ship which another source says that CG is chasing it too. Ops had finished when they sent the release.
sunilUpa
BRFite

Post by sunilUpa »

chackojoseph wrote:SOP is very clear from the innumerable exercises. Hence the questions. Navy has all the right resources for thejob and it can ask for CG ships too.

Only 1 CG ship was used to chase 2 terror ships? Is that we are being fed?

As per CG release the CG ships and a/c are searching for possible survivors. There is no mention of a second ship which another source says that CG is chasing it too. Ops had finished when they sent the release.
There was only 1 terror ship. Is the heart burn is just because you guys didn't get fed, get The SOP just got changed, get used to it. This is called Dhoval SOP - Get the job done. Just seeing all the rona dhona by unnamed naval sources, it becomes apparent that they leak like a sieve.
Last edited by sunilUpa on 04 Jan 2015 07:42, edited 1 time in total.
krishna_krishna
BRFite

Post by krishna_krishna »

Dear Chacojosephj (PBUY) ,Navy does not have any issues but why in the world are you having this takleeph hain ji ?? :evil:

One CG was sent to investigate a particular ship , which turned hostile and blew itself up after another lead the same ship was diverted to look for another one. We are fed healthy diet and it's you and your cronies lifafa journ being feeding on Pindi channa for too long causing this gas effect.

If you want to live in you denials good luck , please spare us from your farts!!!
sunilUpa
BRFite

Post by sunilUpa »

krishna_krishna wrote:Dear Chacojosephj (PBUY) ,Navy does not have any issues but why in the world are you having this takleeph hain ji ?? :evil:

One CG was sent to investigate a particular ship , which turned hostile and blew itself up after another lead the same ship was diverted to look for another one. We are fed healthy diet and it's you and your cronies lifafa journ being feeding on Pindi channa for too long causing this gas effect.

If you want to live in you denials good luck , please spare us from your farts!!!
+1...
chackojoseph
BRF Oldie

Post by chackojoseph »

Wireless intercepts indicate ‘terror’ boats were in touch with Pakistani army

Sources privy to the wireless intercepts, which led technical intelligence agency NTRO to alert the Coast Guard, claimed that the "contact" also talked to someone in Thailand on a frequent basis.

So one more theory that the arms could have been for the Thai (as CG mentions that there was supposed to be a deal in the Arabian Ocean).

This article also states

"While the first boat was sinking, another intercept from the second boat talked about it heading back after finishing its task. They could have been involved in a mid-sea transfer of arms and ammunition," said a source.
uddu
BRF Oldie

Post by uddu »

lol. Chako...if indeed there is talk between the contact and someone in Thailand it means that Pakistan is spreading terror to Thailand too. Thailand must be on full alert now.
krishna_krishna
BRFite

Post by krishna_krishna »

Dear ChackoJoseph Ji (PBUY) could have , should have , would have please leave these what if's from intelligent discussion forum like this. It does not any way exclude the possibility of them being used for wrong purposes against our country.

So shove it your smelly fart for your restroom, please move on unless you have anything intelligent than your smelly farts
sunilUpa
BRFite

Post by sunilUpa »

uddu wrote:lol. Chako...if indeed there is talk between the contact and someone in Thailand it means that Pakistan is spreading terror to Thailand too. Thailand must be on full alert now.
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: The arms can be for any one, but India. if it was for India, they should have made it to Inida or atleast we should have been given a scoop.

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

msm may please note that coast guard need not tell anything and consider only major destruction as an exercise.

my ct: msm is getting paid from beyond yellow seas. dawood et al is trigger happy sending guns via the seas, and funds via dubai exchange for babooze, msm and the previous regime reminants.
sunilUpa
BRFite

Post by sunilUpa »

My sources say that NTRO is monitoring phones of all newstraders to smoke out the 'sources'...lol
Surya
BRF Oldie

Post by Surya »

So one more theory that the arms could have been for the Thai (as CG mentions that there was supposed to be a deal in the Arabian Ocean).
:shock:
so they come close to the coast to exchange?? seriously

or they decide they would go the land route to thailand

come on
Ashok Sarraff
BRFite

Post by Ashok Sarraff »

I think, the argument is that Indian forces should have let the peaceful terrorists pass because the arms etc. were not meant for India. In other words, like always, Indians persecute peaceful people so very unfairly.