Indian Military Aviation - 21 Sept 2015

shiv
BRF Oldie

Re: Indian Military Aviation - 21 Sept 2015

Post by shiv »

JayS wrote:Rakesh Sharma left in 1998, before LCA's first flight. So he never flew LCA. But I suppose he did indeed test flew LCA's FCS on the F16 emulator in US.
There was a lot of work going on ever before. I think there was a little incident of Baldev Singh and an F-404 engine on a test run before the first flight. Don't know all details, won't tell the 1 sentence I know. In the late 90s even I "flew" an LCA simulator at ADA and met one of the test pilots - he used to be on a pre-internet bulletin board called CiX in Blr.
JayS
Forum Moderator

Post by JayS »

Mod Note: I have moved all recent Saras and Civian aviation releted posts to Civian aviation thread. Let's keep Saras in Civilian domain unless we are discussing IAF version specific things.
Kersi
BRFite

Post by Kersi »

shiv wrote:Philip - Rakesh retired before the Tejas flew. We had Wingco(then) Palit, Baldev, Inamdar in one meet. In another we had Adm Dawson - a fun man. My biggest regret is that I promised to digitize his gramophone record collection but did not do it before he passed away. Upadhyaya - no.
Admiral Dawson and Rear Admiral Venkatesh. I had some very interesting discussions with them !!!

The Real Good Old Days of Bharat Rakshak.

I think Rakesh Sharma was also present in one of the meets.

My best meet ever was perhaps when i heard the story of "A Tale of Two Hydraulic Systems". Almost ALL the concerned persons incl Palit were present in the same room. It was almost like watching it live !!! I think late Wing Co Suresh Kukke was also present
Kersi
BRFite

Post by Kersi »

shiv wrote:Philip - Rakesh retired before the Tejas flew. We had Wingco(then) Palit, Baldev, Inamdar in one meet. In another we had Adm Dawson - a fun man. My biggest regret is that I promised to digitize his gramophone record collection but did not do it before he passed away. Upadhyaya - no.
Wing Co Kothiyal was also present in one of the meets. I was talking about LCA as a diminutive air-to-air and he almost rebuked me !!! I still recollect his statement "LCA can carry 4,000 kg of stores i.e. equivalent if a MiG 27"
Manish_P
BRF Oldie

Post by Manish_P »

"LCA can carry 4,000 kg of stores i.e. equivalent if a MiG 27"
Exactly why i absolutely hate it being referred as that, even after getting a great name like Tejas.

I really had hoped (still do) we would stop calling the AMCA with the M for 'Medium'.
If M has to be used, then at least use 'Multirole' - Advanced Multirole Combat Aircraft
srai
BRF Oldie

Post by srai »

^^^
LCA - some other variety :wink:
  • Latest Combat Aircraft
  • Leading Combat Aircraft
  • Logical Combat Aircraft
Maybe this is what it should have been ...
ICA -> Indian Combat Aircraft
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

LCA=Late Coming Aircraft was the standard joke in the 90s.

I think we should drop the LCA nickname and stick with Tejas.
ArjunPandit
BRF Oldie

Post by ArjunPandit »

srai wrote:^^^
LCA - some other variety :wink:
  • Latest Combat Aircraft
  • Leading Combat Aircraft
  • Logical Combat Aircraft
Maybe this is what it should have been ...
ICA -> Indian Combat Aircraft
Why not Lethal Combat aircraft!
Akshay Kapoor
Forum Moderator

Post by Akshay Kapoor »

Just call it Tejas.
Viv S
BRF Oldie

Post by Viv S »

PLA training hard for potential conflict
By Yang Sheng Source:Global Times

A J-10 and a J-11 fighter jets attached to an aviation brigade of the air force under the PLA Western Theater Command taxi on the flightline before takeoff for a combat sortie during a flight training exercise on January 4, 2018.

The People's Liberation Army (PLA) has been fully executing military training instructions issued by President Xi Jinping on January 3 by conducting drills at home and abroad involving its ground forces, navy, air force, rocket force and armed police, as the PLA's news media cautioned the troops on Thursday of imminent threats and to avoid complacency.

According to the PLA Daily, China's most advanced military aircraft including the J-20 stealth fighter jet, the Y-20 transport aircraft, the H-6k bomber, and the J-16, J-11B J-10C fighter jets have all conducted training exercises since the beginning of 2018.

The J-20 is conducting air combat training with other fighter planes including the J-16. The J-20 is also practicing beyond-visual-range air combat, and other aircraft, including the Y-20 and the J-10C, are training at unspecified airports on a "plateau region" in order to improve their capability in long-range military transport and air combat, the PLA Daily reported.

Potential military conflicts in plateau regions have been on the rise since the border friction with India last year, so increasing military training in the plateau region is highly necessary, a retired PLA officer who used to serve in the air force and asked not to be named, told the Global Times.

"India's ground force has some advantages in quantity in the border areas, so if conflict happens, China's air force needs to seize domination of the skies and immediately create an overwhelming advantage for China," said the officer.

Modern Navy, a WeChat public account run by the PLA Navy, reported on Wednesday that the PLA Marine Corps stationed in China's first overseas logistic base in Djibouti conducted a series of combat training missions including "countering reconnaissance from hostile aircraft, encountering combat in a desert, and tracking and annihilating terrorists."

Xi, who is also general secretary of the Communist Party of China (CPC) Central Committee and Chairman of the Central Military Commission (CMC), issued military training instructions to Chinese military forces during an inspection of a division of the People's Liberation Army (PLA) ground force in the Central Theater Command on January 3.

Xi ordered the creation of an elite combat force through real combat training, digitization, innovation and reform.

Apart from the air force and overseas marine troops, other units including the navy, the rocket force, ground force, the armed police and strategic support forces across the country are all conducting or have conducted real combat training missions in January, the Xinhua News Agency reported.

Increasing possibility of war

A commentary in the PLA Daily titled "A soldier without desire for war-preparedness is not a good soldier" was published Tuesday. The article criticizes military personnel in the PLA who refuse to face the possibility of war and have been paralyzed by peace.

"When the country is on the brink of becoming a great military power, it's also stepping into a period with high risks to national security. War is not far from us. Regional situations around China are complex and unstable, and dangers are hiding under the peace. China cannot afford a military failure, so we must be fully aware of potential crisis and be prepared for battle at all times," the article stated.

Experts say the possibility of military conflict around China has increased in recent years. "In regions like the Korea Peninsula, China-India border area and the Taiwan Straits, the PLA needs to be prepared for all possibilities. Our overseas interests in regions like Africa and the Middle East are also under threat due to local instability," said Xu Guangyu, a retired major general and senior adviser of the China Arms Control and Disarmament Association.
Manish_P
BRF Oldie

Post by Manish_P »

ramana wrote:LCA=Late Coming Aircraft was the standard joke in the 90s.

I think we should drop the LCA nickname and stick with Tejas.
Sir, I had made the request to the Mods to add (if not change) the name of the thread, about a year ago.

My request didn't get a response.. and I assumed the wait was for the FOC in the IAF.
jaysimha
BRFite

Post by jaysimha »

night when helicopter braved dark, choppy sea to save lives

http://indianexpress.com/article/india/ ... s-5008032/
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

Regarding upgrades.M2K upgrades in shambles.Only 7 upgraded so far.Huge spat on reg. warranty for them.Not us say the French despite each upgrade costing around $50M each.HAL is doing the upgrades.The extra moolah for upgrades (labour costs) is disputed by the IAF and HAL, each wanting the other to bear the cost.The IAF says that such costs were factored in already. HAL want even more money for the upgrades of the balance 40 aircraft to bring the upto approx. M-2000/5 std.

When you compare the very similar upgrades of 67+ MIG-29s, which were all recently completed at a cost of just under $1B for the lot, the M2K upgrade deal has clearly shortchanged the IAF and nation and it is now anybody's guess when the balance approx. 40 aircraft will be upgraded that too at excruciatingly slow speed.It may be better to scrap the upgrades remaining, and use the money to build/buy 2 brand new LCAs instead!
Gyan
BRFite

Post by Gyan »

Remember Scorpene Escalations???
sankum
BRFite

Post by sankum »

HAL Annual Report 2016-17 is out

Company has produced 56 numbers of new Aircraft and Helicopters covering Su-30 MKI, Hawk, LCA Tejas, Dornier Do-228, ALH Dhruv, ALH-WSI Rudra and Cheetal
The Company has achieved the all-time high production of 13 numbers of Su-30 MKI aircraft from Raw Material Phase in 2016-17.
HAL also handed over the first two ALH-WSI (Rudra) to IAF in 2016-17

First flight of the first prototype (PT-1) aircraft of HTT-40 was carried out on 31st May 2016 and inaugural flight was performed on 17th June, 2016 in the presence of Hon’ble RM. It has so far completed 57 flight tests cumulatively. HTT40 participated in flying display (PT-1) and static display (PT-2) in Aero India 2017. Presently the development activities are under progress. The second prototype (PT-2) also took to the skies on 19th May, 2017.

Light Utility Helicopter (LUH)
First technical flight of first prototype (PT-1) of LUH was carried out on 6th September, 2016 (with interim software of Smart Cockpit Display System (SCDS)). Subsequently, Digital Engine Operating System (DEOS) software has been installed on PT-1. First Flight with DEOS based SCDS was carried out on 28th October, 2016. LUH has so far completed a cumulative of 29 flights. LUH participated in flying display and static display in Aero India 2017. Presently, development flights are under progress on PT-1 towards envelope expansion. The second prototype (PT-2) had its successful flight on 22nd May, 2017.

Light Combat Helicopter (LCH)
LCH has so far completed a cumulative of 954 flights out of which 239 flights have been carried out in 2016-17. Indigenous IADS has been integrated on LCH and first flight with IADS was carried out on 16th July, 2016. Later Mission and Weapon Systems was also integrated on LCH. Turret Gun firing trials on LCH carried out at AFS, Kalaikunda in March 2017 towards Final Operation Clearance. LCH participated in flying display and static display during Aero India 2017.

25 kN Turbofan Engine (HTFE-25)
HTFE-25 core engine successfully reached Max RPM of 100% in September 2016. 100th successful run was completed on 28th October, 2016. So far 142 runs have been completed.
Engine Control System has been developed and successfully implemented on core engine for testing. Improved HP compressor design has been completed. Model of the HTFE-25 engine was displayed in Aero India 2017 at HAL Stall.

1200 KW Turboshaft Engine (HTSE-1200)
Initial Design activities for a 1200 SHP engine completed. Preliminary Design Review (PDR) was completed in June 2016. All the drawings were released in November 2016. Breadboard model of control system for running the engine has been developed and rig tested successfully. Engine full scale display model was showcased in Aero India 2017. Model of the HTSE-1200 engine was displayed in Aero India 2017 at HAL Stall.

Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV) - Mini UAV (8 KG Class)
Autonomous flight tests on Prototype (PT-2) of Mini UAV was completed on 6th April, 2016. Range and Altitude flight Trials were carried out with fixed Day Camera. 10 km range and 1000 m altitude above ground level were achieved. Software programming in autopilot for integration of camera payload is completed.
Demonstration of Mini UAV to prospective customers (Northeast Frontier Railways, Southern Railway Palakkad Division, Forest Department, Greyhounds Special Forces, and CRPF) carried out. Customization based on feedback of the prospective customers have been initiated.

Integration of IADS on Naval Prototype of ALH
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

This works out to approx 2 a/c pm and 2 helos too.This rate of production can neither meet both the replacement numbers one for one,nor increased demand due to fleet expansion and new types for the 3 services.We must somehow manage to produce at least 10 a/c and helos pm. 13 MKIs from desi raw material is good going. will hopefully be kept busy after final deliveries with the SS upgrades.But LCA production and other programmes must accelerate.
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

I think we have discussed this many times. The production rate is a function of orders. Has HAL been mandated to produce faster, but failing?

When LCH/LUH orders come in, production rate will increase. There is no magic that HAL would have done then either!
Cybaru
BRF Oldie

Post by Cybaru »

Philip wrote:This works out to approx 2 a/c pm and 2 helos too.
Philip, Is it possible for you to speak to MOD and increase the number of orders please? Can they increase order to 3 A/C PM and 6 Helicopters please especially add some naval heli requirements? I will talk to hal chairman to get them ready for more.. Infact I just got off the call, they are ready and awaiting order, please do the needful!
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

My point is not HAL's capability to ramp up production when new orders are placed,they could make the effort with new lines, etc. but with low prod. rates like This, we simply cannot replace hundreds of retiring MIGs and vintage helos even in a decade with locally built aircraft.

This is why the knee-jerk reaction in buying Rafales in 2 batches at high cost without any TOT , SEFs, etc. have arisen.The only decent rate of manufacture of aircraft is 13 MKIs from local raw materials. Being such a large twin-engined bird it would be the equiv. of building 24 to 26 LCAs ,something that HAL could do, plan for, now that the MOD and IAF are committed to another 83 MK-1As apart from the 40 MK-1s that the IAF is waiting for.

I agree that the MOD must place the orders while loosening its purse strings, but the max pressure appears to be coming from the firang OEMs hoping to pick up easy money with more imports of aircraft.The delay in the Jag upgrades too is a mystery.It was mooted at least 3 air shows ago.Raytheon was even then picked as the partner for engines, and when MIG-29 (over) and M2K upgrades were approved , why has the Jag UG languished?
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

sankum wrote:HAL Annual Report 2016-17 is out
My I say that it was the most boring document I have read in a while. Picture after picture of mantris and chairmans and directors. Arghh.

Also it is really revealing to see that only HTT-40/LUH/LCH and Hawk-i ( :roll: ) appear in the header! But no LCA! The mention of the projects also appear in that order.
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

Just for those interested in the JSF for the IAF/IN, the US Def .Dept. has authorised the sale of 34 CTO versions for Belgium for just over $6.5B.This would include 38 engines and other associated eqpt.This works out to Just under $200M a pop! Well the Rafales we've bought are in the same league ,36 for as still unconfirmed reports that it may be as high as $8B, which beggars the Q, why - if we are throwing away money should we buy a 4+gen. fighter which Belgium , bum chums of the French, joined at the hip nations,has rejected when we could get a 5th-gen bird for the same cost?
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

They should sell no?
Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

Rafales are hardwired for nuclear weapons delivery role will DOD allow F-35 to be hardwired ?
hnair
Forum Moderator

Post by hnair »

Austin wrote:Rafales are hardwired for nuclear weapons delivery role will DOD allow F-35 to be hardwired ?
Circa 2030s, most of the detergent is going to be stored in bottles under water and remaining on trains or lorries parked inside mountains. Till that time, the Su30s and M2Ks will be doing this job you are referring to.

Philip has a point. The best choice for SEF (if that charade goes thorugh) would be F35, which automatically means Tejas will become the gap filler in 100s and AMCA will get funding as the sole medium category. And we got to get a look at that fine self-service app for MRO

Cheen is acting like a total idiot. Khan politicians need to dust up old MacArthur speeches and listen to what that gent had to say, instead of selling good stuff to prissy european nations with airforces kept inside glasscases, along with urns of past pets and grannys
brar_w
BRF Oldie

Post by brar_w »

Philip wrote:Just for those interested in the JSF for the IAF/IN, the US Def .Dept. has authorised the sale of 34 CTO versions for Belgium for just over $6.5B.This would include 38 engines and other associated eqpt.This works out to Just under $200M a pop! Well the Rafales we've bought are in the same league ,36 for as still unconfirmed reports that it may be as high as $8B, which beggars the Q, why - if we are throwing away money should we buy a 4+gen. fighter which Belgium , bum chums of the French, joined at the hip nations,has rejected when we could get a 5th-gen bird for the same cost?
This was an FMS announcement. Follow this particular deal very closely. If Belgium does select the F-35A, the contract negotiated price will likely be at or below $6 billion for the first phase. Nation's of late have requested way more via FMS than they have procured or wished to procure simply because the FMS process is very slow and they err on the side of caution since a lot of it has to do with either them or the OEM making an ask in support of a deal with a larger package than the one that is ultimately contracted for. Same with government to government offers where they have had to estimate costs that involve assumptions based on contractor performance (such as a PBL). If and when they do choose the aircraft it will likely take 6 months to a year to hammer all this. Also, Lockheed and P&Ws PBL estimated costs info supplied by the USG is also likely to be higher than what will be incurred over time as this is still a relatively early days. FMS notifications usually use historical costing data to provide estimates based on a Government defined requirement. However, when it comes to Performance Based Logistics, no two countries request for the same thing as far as support is concerned and because PBL is negotiated by the USDOD with a private contractor they do at times end up overestimating these costs on new systems.

Do note that Belgium maintains the NATO Nuclear strike mission using their F-16s. Out of the aircraft offered to them (or currently shortlisted) only the F-35A is hardwired for B61-12 delivery. No other aircraft offered to them can deliver the bomb without modifications and customer funded test and evaluation phase. I believe they had to relax the requirement somewhat since if they hadn't this would have been a competition between new built F-16s or new built F-35As but they will most certainly hold that as a sizable advantage in their source selection decision.
Last edited by brar_w on 20 Jan 2018 19:56, edited 3 times in total.
ShauryaT
BRF Oldie

Post by ShauryaT »

ramana wrote:They should sell no?
On cue:
Lockheed proposes making custom-built fighter jets in India
American aerospace and defence major Lockheed Martin has proposed to manufacture custom-built F-35 fighter jets in India, which its officials say will give Indian industry a unique opportunity to become part of the world's largest fighter aircraft ecosystem.
srai
BRF Oldie

Post by srai »

^^^
SEF ... the real target, IMO ... as well as for 57 naval fighters
Manish_P
BRF Oldie

Post by Manish_P »

ShauryaT wrote:
ramana wrote:They should sell no?
On cue:
Lockheed proposes making custom-built fighter jets in India
American aerospace and defence major Lockheed Martin has proposed to manufacture custom-built F-35 fighter jets in India, which its officials say will give Indian industry a unique opportunity to become part of the world's largest fighter aircraft ecosystem.
DDM probably
Northrop Grumman's advanced APG-83 Active Electronically Scanned Array (AESA) radar on the F-16 Block 70 provides F-16s with fifth generation fighter radar capabilities by leveraging hardware and software commonality with F-22 and F-35 AESA radars, he added.
brar_w
BRF Oldie

Post by brar_w »

There are some capability overlaps b/w the radars including some software and hardware reuse. However, the AN/APG-81 aperture has a hybrid approach to its architecture and is essentially feeding raw data to the fusion engine which also incorporates the CNI system for autonomous TID using all 4 ship data. The F-16 for example is unlikely to have the power or cooling to support dedicated Electronic Attack modes which require considerably more power and thermal management. These modes are present in the F-35 at baseline and there is planned growth in the next follow on development phase.
nam
BRF Oldie

Post by nam »

We need to take up this offer. Much better than building those f16.

Even if we make 10% of f35 locally, it is a super gain. This is a 3500 global order.

Would help in squadron number, a top class aero manufacturing with massive orders in the pipeline, & stealth.
kit
BRF Oldie

Post by kit »

brar_w wrote:There are some capability overlaps b/w the radars including some software and hardware reuse. However, the AN/APG-81 aperture has a hybrid approach to its architecture and is essentially feeding raw data to the fusion engine which also incorporates the CNI system for autonomous TID using all 4 ship data. The F-16 for example is unlikely to have the power or cooling to support dedicated Electronic Attack modes which require considerably more power and thermal management. These modes are present in the F-35 at baseline and there is planned growth in the next follow on development phase.

How does the block 70 F16 compare to the F35 with respect to the two parameters you mentioned ?
brar_w
BRF Oldie

Post by brar_w »

@Kit, as I said, the F-16 Block 70's AN/APG-83 radar shares some hardware and software commonality with the AN/APG-81 fitted on the F-35. However, the mission systems are not in the same league or operate using the same architecture. The -81 on the F-35 was always designed from the ground up to co-exist with the Electronic Warfare suite and function as both an active and passive Electronic Warfare Array being controlled and guided by the AN/ASQ-239. Not only does this require some extensive software, data-fusion and processing but most importantly when operating in Electronic Attack modes you need a lot more power and cooling compared to the normal A2A or A2G operating modes so it has to be designed from the ground up particularly when building a radar aperture that is sealed shut and expected to last at least as long as the aircraft. It is also a technically harder requirement to achieve given the different characteristics required for an AESA radar and an AESA EA/Jammer (higher duty cycles etc).

http://www.sldinfo.com/shaping-the-f-35 ... nterprise/
srin
BRF Oldie

Post by srin »

nam wrote:
We need to take up this offer. Much better than building those f16.

Even if we make 10% of f35 locally, it is a super gain. This is a 3500 global order.

Would help in squadron number, a top class aero manufacturing with massive orders in the pipeline, & stealth.
Question is why ? Usually, when these offers are made, it is either that we're in advanced stages of developing a competing aircraft or going to shortly sign up for a competing aircraft. We aren't going to get AMCA anytime soon, nor the FGFA doesn't seem to be going anywhere either.

It may be for the naval fighters, but they weren't in the race and you don't open a new line for 57 fighters. You'd want a hundred or so.

The only thing then left is the SEF. We may be on the verge of cancelling the deal in favour of Tejas, so this may be the sweetener in return for ordering a hundred or so F-16s.

I'm sure there will be other strings attached - for instance, custom-built would mean "export version", which may mean something denied to us and so on. And then there is the biggest factor - the price.

Okay, I'm cynical.

If this was actually a no-strings offer (however unbelievable it is), I'd actually say this: take it up on the offer. Let LM do a 100% FDI subsidiary factory to build it. And make it their problem to set it up. Then you don't get into multi-year negotiation with HAL or Adani or Tatas to discuss the modalities and pricing and productivity of their workers vs ours and all that MMRCA nonsense. And to protect ourselves against the brain-drain and ring-fence our own IP, we should disallow DRDO/DPSU employees from joining it.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

srin & nam: please continue this discussion in the SEF thread.
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

Jan 12, 2018 :: Logjam in Indigenous Aircraft Production

by: S.N. Misraformer Director DRDO and Joint Secretary – Aerospace, MOD
There is a swirling discomfiture that the ‘Make-in-India’ initiative, a signature tune of the NDA government, involving a large number of defence projects valued at more than $60 billion, is stuck due to long-winded procedures, commercial and technical wrangling, coupled with lack of requisite political thrust. The ‘Make’ category in the Defence Procurement Procedure passes through a maze of tortuous path before the private players can harness and bolster their best design capability to deliver successful prototypes to the defence services. In order to support such risky and innovative initiatives, the Defence Procurement Procedure provides for 80 per cent funding to the successful shortlisted developer. Despite this provision, the ‘Import’ and ‘Buy & Make’ options have remained favorites and constituted the bulk of defence acquisition over the years.

The Tactical Communication System as a major Make initiative brought in a whiff of fresh air when Bharat Electronics Limited (BEL), a Defence Public Sector Undertaking (DPSU) and private players such as L&T, slugged it out to bag the prototype development contract. The proposed system is expected to provide fully mobile networked cellular and secured communication service (voice, data and video) in the battlefield, supplanting the age-old radio communication network, the plan AREN system of the army. The new system, envisaged two decades back, witnessed severe bickering between the DPSU and the private sector players, where the Department of Defence Production was more inclined to place its order on BEL on the ostensible justification of ‘secrecy’. There was widespread criticism that under the subterfuge of indigenisation the “DPSUs are allegedly fronting for foreign companies”. Thankfully, a decision has now been taken to award the contract for developing two prototypes at the cost of $150 million to both BEL and L&T, with a timeframe of 18 months. This has ensured level playing field in the field of defence production, a yearning strongly voiced by the Kelkar Committee in 2005.

While the Tactical Communication System promises to be a success story, the Rs 6,500-crore project to manufacture 140 Light Utility Kamov-226T helicopters in India for which an Inter-Govermmental Agreement (IGA) was signed in 2015, has been in the cold storage since then. The Kamovs are expected to replace the ageing Cheetah and Chetak fleets, which have outlived their utility. This project promises to provide good design capability to the Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL), which has gained immense experience in the Advanced Light Helicopter (ALH) programme.

Three ‘Make in India’ projects, where considerable spadework was done a decade back, have now gone into an irretrievable limbo…
But three ‘Make in India’ projects, where considerable spadework was done a decade back, have now gone into an irretrievable limbo. The first mega project is the Fifth Generation Fighter Aircraft (FGFA) programme where co-design and co-production of the Perspective Multi-role Fighter with 43 improvements over the SU-57 aircraft, was envisaged. This futuristic aircraft was expected to have stealth and supersonic capability. Besides, the FGFA was to have advanced sensors, networking and combat avionics. The Indian side was expected to contribute towards the Electronic Warfare suites and the Flight Control System which have been successfully developed in India, thanks to the Light Combat Aircraft (LCA) Tejas programme.

After signing of an IGA with the Russians in October 2007, for the co-development and co-production of the FGFA, the Preliminary Design Contract was signed between HAL and Sukhoi Corporation of Russia on December 21, 2010, at an estimated cost of $295.2 million. However, the final R&D and Production Contract has been hanging fire since then. The production was envisaged in about eight to ten years with $6 billion to be committed by each country. The production size was promised to be 500. The Russians are now reneging from their commitment on the production numbers and also asking for a hike in the contract cost to $7 billion. This is not uncommon with the Russians, as they hiked their cost significantly in the Gorshkov deal as well. Meanwhile, the IAF has raised doubts about the stealth capability of the aircraft and engine performance. The high cost and dodgy delivery timeframes are also of serious concern for the Indian Air Force (IAF).

While it is true that this project has the potential for slippage in time lines, the project would have provided rare design capability to engineers in the HAL in technologies such as stealth and supersonic capability. It is well known that Lockheed Martin Corporation of the US is designing and producing stealth multi-role fighters under the mega Joint Strike Fighter (JSF) programme. The US government principally funds the JSF programme with NATO allies actively contributing to this development programme. The programme is considerably behind schedule and already $163 billion in excess of its budget. Though the IAF was keen to be part of this programme, the response from the US was not encouraging. It is in this context that the collaboration with the Russians for a supersonic stealth aircraft was considered godsend, as it would have given us a head start over Pakistan and China.

The second ‘Make in India’ project was for co-development of a multi-role aircraft with the Russians signed in November 2007. This would have helped India to have a large transport aircraft such as the American C-130J at a lower cost. Since the Russians have immense experience in the field of large transport aircraft such as the IL76, this programme would have really added teeth to our indigenous capability in transport aircraft. Sadly, the JV terms could not be finalised and this deal has died a quiet death.

This is in stark contrast to the BrahMos project for building ramjet supersonic cruise missiles which has witnessed significant success in terms of delivery to the IAF and the Indian Navy. This was a dream project of late Dr APJ Abdul Kalam who ensured that all hiccups to concluding the JV were transcended. It is a matter of pride that several countries such as the Philippines, Vietnam, South Africa, Egypt and Oman have expressed interest in acquiring the BrahMos cruise missile from India. In a substantial sense, BrahMos is a ‘Make in India’ project where the distinctive footprints of Indian defence designers for many sub-systems are clearly incorporated.

The ‘Make’ initiative has the greater potential to bolster indigenous design capability through partnership with well-known design houses…
The third ‘Make in India’ aircraft programme which did not get discussed in the public space is the Regional Transport Aircraft Programme. The objective of this programme was to develop a mid-size, 70-seater passenger aircraft by ramping up the design capability of the National Aeronautical Laboratory (NAL), Bangalore that is undertaking the SARAS project, which is the development of a small passenger aircraft. The RTA programme envisaged synthesis between NAL, HAL and the private sector players such as the Tatas in a Public Private Partnership (PPP) mode. The Ministry of Civil Aviation had also evinced keen interest in acquiring such medium-size aircraft as they are ideally suited to provide connectivity between small cities, the way the bullet train project between Delhi to Ahmedabad has been conceived. It is a pity that though it was well conceived, this project did not take off due to the fatal accident which occurred with the ‘SARAS’ aircraft.

Most design and development projects are fraught with risks; they are the motherboard of success. For instance, when Brazil was developing the Embraer aircraft, a mid-size passenger aircraft with technological collaboration with the US, it also suffered several hiccups. But the Brazilian government stood solidly behind this development programme and ensured that the best of designers were pooled together and tax holidays offered to encourage this programme. Now, Embraer is the world leader in the mid-size passenger aircraft segment.

The Embraer programme provides an extremely useful template to the government of the day. The NDA government has displayed decisiveness in the way it placed orders for 36 Rafale Medium Multi-Role Combat Aircraft (MMRCA) from Dassault Aviation of France. The tender for 126 MMRCA was hanging fire for more than ten years. However, the IGA to procure 36 Rafale jets has given great respite to the IAF as they have been crying hoarse to replace the ageing Mig-21 aircraft. Besides, the government’s decision to increase the Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) cap in defence and scrap the FIPB has been welcomed by the global OEMs, who want to have long term partnership with Indian companies in defence manufacturing in India.

We need to come out of our mindset of opting for imports as the best option to fill up the critical void in state-of-the-art major systems and platforms. The ‘Make’ initiative has the greater potential to bolster indigenous design capability through partnership with well-known design houses. This will be the real way forward if we are serious about improving our Self Reliance Index in the foreseeable future from 30 per cent. The FGFA, MTA and the RTA programmes clearly reveal how due to lack of proper follow-up action and political push, our self-reliance initiative has taken a backseat. It is only through determined leadership, that the different stakeholders can be made accountable and work together to deliver these indigenous initiatives within a definitive timeframe in the critical ‘Make in India’ military manufacturing segment.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Saras has flown again
sum
BRF Oldie

Post by sum »

Great day and congrats to all who persevered:
NAL Saras transport flies again after 8 years
An improved prototype of the Indian Saras light transport aircraft has completed first test flight after being grounded for 8 years.

The PT1N, an improved and upgraded version of the first prototype, flew for 35 minutes piloted by ASTE Test Pilots Wg Cdr B Panicker & U P Singh along with Flight Test Engineer Bhat.

The aircraft has undergone 10 modifications that improve the aerodynamic characteristics and make it more pilot friendly.

Among the major modifications include a larger metallic Rudder for increased controllablility, stall warning system, more efficient electrical system, improved flight control systems and an optimal engine nacelle.

The program was grounded following a fatal crash involving the second prototype PT-2, during flight testing in 2009 killing three on board flight crews.
RKumar

Post by RKumar »

shiv wrote:Saras has flown again
Congrats to all those involved, one of the best news since months on Indian aviation side.
ArjunPandit
BRF Oldie

Post by ArjunPandit »

Congrats to all those involved. We should move over this stopping program after accidents. Instead they should further strengthen our resolve to rectify the issues. Otherwise they lives and death of those who died is in vain.