Russian Weapons & Military Technology

The Military Issues & History Forum is a venue to discuss issues relating to the military aspects of the Indian Armed Forces, whether the past, present or future. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
kit
BRF Oldie

Re: Russian weapons and military technology

Post by kit »

Austin wrote:
bhavani wrote:How do they reduce the range on the export version of these missiles, by decreasing the propellant load, changing the electronics, or messing up with guidance software?
Same as Brahmos , Software Lock , if you heard Dr Pillai comment at seminar at AI , he mentioned if Brahmos cross the range limit it would self destruct.

:rotfl:
kit
BRF Oldie

Post by kit »

Sorry ! .... but it is a funny thing .. you fire the missile at a target 301 km away and the missile drops dead ?! :mrgreen:
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

https://www.rt.com/news/272341-s350-vityaz-air-defense/

S-350 vityaz with 12 active radar missiles will replace the old S300 systems
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

maybe there is a round knob on the brahmos that says "do not touch, this enables the 300+ mode" and the instruction manuals tells us to be good boys and not use it :mrgreen:
member_22539
BRF Oldie

Post by member_22539 »

^Just some song and dance. There is no limiter, save one that is feigned by the Indian armed forces, until and unless they absolutely have to do so otherwise.

Some time in the future, if there is a war, we will hear how magically Indian scientists extended the range and heroically (not that they are not heroes) gave long legs to the missile.

Those of us who suspected this will say "I told you so" and others (probably the lay person, unlike us enthusiasts) will marvel at how things can be done in a pinch.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IXVcmIYZDM

nice simulation by Almaz-Antey of their air defence systems and Klub. watch with sound.

note - they are using iron dome style small ciws rockets to protect their SAMs and radars from ARMs
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

since the Buyan class corvette is rather small, narrow and short...they have cleverly located the Kalibr silos where the ship is widest and tallest - the middle! thats about the only place the 8m deep silos would fit.

http://i.imgur.com/Qoufs8o.jpg

we ought to do the same on all OPV classes. give them some sharp teeth and quit the 100% pure veg restaurant business.
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

Russia's N-sub modernization.
http://www.janes.com/industry
Russia details ambitious effort to modernise nuclear-powered submarines to bolster order of battle
Karl Soper, Washington, DC - IHS Jane's Navy International
01 October 2015

The Russian Navy Akula-class SSN Kuzbass alongside at the Zvezda shipyard in the Pacific. Source: Russian Ministry of Defence

Key Points
•Moscow is modernising or repairing 12 nuclear-powered submarines
•The modernised boats are intended to serve 20 more years, maintaining operational force levels as the new Project 885M Yasen-class boats enter service.
•The modernisation programme leaves current force levels as low as nine boats across the fleet

Russian defence minister Sergei Shoigu has set out details of an ambitious effort to reinvigorate Russia's shipbuilding and submarine order of battle.

During a visit to the Zvezda shipyard at Bolshoy Kamen on Russia's Pacific coast in September, the minister is reported to have informed Russian journalists that six nuclear-powered submarines are under repair and modernisation at Zvezda.

According to navy and shipyard representatives, the boats are planned to receive new missiles and other weapons, with the modernisation work also intended to extend their service lives by 20 years. The work aims to bring the submarines up to the same technological level as Russia's next-generation nuclear-powered boats, such as the new Project 885M Yasen-class submarines.

The six boats are reported to include Schuka-B/Project 971 Akula-class nuclear-powered attack submarines (SSNs) and Antyey/Project 949A Oscar II-class guided-missile submarines (SSGNs) that were built in the late 1980s and early 1990s.

Specifically, the boats are the Akula SSNs Kuzbass and Magadan , and the Oscar II SSGNs Irkutsk , Chelyabinsk , and Tver . The Kalmar/Project 667BDR Delta III-class SSBN Ryazan also arrived at Zvezda for repairs in April.

Irkutsk , Chelyabinsk , and Tver will become known as Project 949AM submarines after modernisation work is completed. Along with improved acoustic, electronic, navigation and communications systems, Project 949AM submarines are understood to be receiving NPO Mashinostroyeniya 3M55 Oniks (SS-N-26 'Strobile') anti-ship cruise missiles to replace their 3M45 Granit (SS-N-19 'Shipwreck') missiles. The order in which modernisation work on the Oscar IIs will be re-fitted remains unclear.
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

Aditya,sleep? Nyet! Chilled Stoli accompanied with avocado and caviar on toast. "Toasting" the happy demise of the ungodly pigs of ISIS who've been "toasted"!

Former First Sea Lord, Admiral Lord West,RN says all nations including Russia and Assad must take on ISIS.
https://www.rt.com/op-edge/317926-syria ... is-terror/
‘We need all-pervasive strategy against ISIS involving everyone’ – Admiral Alan West
Published time: 7 Oct, 2015 16:34

The first priority is to destroy ISIS, which is the top danger to all nations in the world, says former UK First Sea Lord, Admiral Lord West. And we can only do that if the whole coalition is involved with Russia, Iran and Assad forces, he adds.

READ MORE: 4 Russian warships launch 26 missiles against ISIS from Caspian Sea
RT: Warships have now entered the fold. How will they help Russian counter-terrorist operation?

Admiral Lord West: I think using all arms is very valuable and clearly there’ve been … the targets that have spotted by people on the ground and using ship-based missiles is a very good way of doing that. We do it, of course, using TacToms and things like that, so, it is their equivalent of that, that’s useful. But I think the most important thing is that we’ve got to defeat and destroy ISIL – they are the most dangerous thing to all of the nations in the world. I describe them as ‘the wolf closest to the shed’. We must destroy them and then think about getting security and peace to Syria. But the first thing is to destroy ISIL. And we can only do that, I believe, if the whole coalition is involved with Russia and also Iran, and, I am afraid, also with Assad. No matter how much some of us in the West don’t like Assad, it has got to be all those people involved because we’ve got to destroy ISIL - that is the first priority.

RT: It’s been a huge game changer this week with Russia getting involved because frankly the situation was going backwards before, wasn’t it?

AW: I won’t say it was going backwards but I’ve been saying for a long time – we need a comprehensive, agreed strategic plan for how we move forward. And it is no good just doing airstrikes, you have to have boots on the ground somehow, they have to be there. And also one needs to actually go to the heartland of ISIL which is within Syria. I am sure in time they will be pushed out to Iraq, I am sure they will. But that still leaves Syria. So, we’ve got to resolve that problem and it is highly complex and very difficult.

RT: Russia has maintained so far that there will be no foot on the ground. Why is Russia saying that won’t happen? Could it practically help this ongoing fight or is this something that should be avoided at all cost?

AW: I think the involvement of either Russian or American, British or French ground troops in Syria will be an error at the moment. But at some stage there will have to be boots on the ground. And, perhaps, we will look at something like Egyptian or Jordanian - their non-sectarian type troops and forces - to go into certain areas what would have to be done in conjunction with an agreement from Assad because he has boots on the ground there. And then what Russia, America and ourselves [UK] and other countries can provide is the air capability, reconnaissance capability. We never talk about special forces, but I am sure they will be involved. And it needs to be a very comprehensive strategy; we need to absolutely take on ISIL in the propaganda sphere which we haven’t done as well as we should have done. We need to absolutely strangle all their money supplies, which we haven’t done properly yet. And it needs to be an all-pervasive strategy and it has to include everyone. Iran has to be involved; they have Hezbollah fighters actually on the ground there. So, it has to involve all these people. And it is no good being sort of ‘namby pamby’ about it saying: “I don’t like them.” At the end of the day ISIL want to kill our people
bhavani
BRFite

Post by bhavani »

Cain Marko wrote:Daaaamn! That little ship is supposed to carry teeny sizzlers - which in turn are supposed to have a range of wonlee 300km; now we see them crossing 1000km! No wonder even small sausages weigh so much when they are made by the big bear.

Should put an end to the often pondered question, how is it that a missile as small as the ASMP has a range that matches the Brahmos...the above makes it clear, it doesn't. IIRC Pillai (or was it VKS) had casually mentioned a 600km range on the Bmos, absolute monster, no wonder the services are ordering it in such a hurry.
Why would they put the export versions on their own boats. They would always put their real stuff, That is the advantage of building one's own stuff rather then buying them.

The soviets always told that Tu-22M3 was not an intercontinental bomber and removed the refueling probes and claimed that they were not intercontinental.

But they could always put it back.

We get stuff, that flies 300 miles and they use the same stuff to hit at 1500 miles.
Viv S
BRF Oldie

Post by Viv S »

Cain Marko wrote:Daaaamn! That little ship is supposed to carry teeny sizzlers - which in turn are supposed to have a range of wonlee 300km; now we see them crossing 1000km! No wonder even small sausages weigh so much when they are made by the big bear.
Its not really 'teeny' though. Same wt. & dia. as the TLAM, though the Kalibr is about 50% longer.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

I am no raakit mard, but something tells me that it takes more fuel to fly 1500 km that it would to fly 300 km - even allowing for 300 km @ supersonic speed.
Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

JANES:Russia's KAB-250 guided bomb to complete trials this year
Region JSC's KAB-250 precision-guided munition (PGM) will soon complete trials, Igor Krylov, director general of Region JSC (a subsidiary of Tactical Missiles Corporation, KTRV), told IHS Jane's at the Russian Defence Ministry Innovation Day 2015.

Krylov also stated that there are two versions of the 250 kg Korrektiruyemaya Aviatsionnaya Bomba (KAB): a laser-guided version (the KAB-250LG-E) and the GLONASS/INS-guided KAB-250S-E. Its circular error probable (CEP) for ground targets is 3-5 m.

The KAB-250 is a follow-on to the larger KAB-500 PGM, which made its combat debut in September in Syria.

"The bomb is in trials on the Sukhoi Su-34 [Fullback], with the trials to be completed late this year," said Krylov.

The KAB-250LG will enter the weapons suite of the PAK FA fifth-generation fighter in 2016, he noted. The KAB-250LG-E can be employed both by 4/4+ generation fighters from external hardpoints or by the PAK FA in its internal weapons bays, according to Krylov.

According to Krylov, the KAB-250 was developed in response to the development of the Small Diameter Bomb (SDB) by the United States to equip its F-22 Raptor and F-35 Lightning II fifth-generation fighters.

The KAB-250 has a fragmentation warhead designed to destroy lightly vulnerable materiel, thin-skinned vehicles, and other enemy installations. The bomb can be dropped individually or in salvoes. The aircraft carrying the KAB-250LG-Es must be fitted with a laser illumination system or the target can be illuminated by a forward air controller.

The KAB-250LG-E's total weight is 256 kg, with a warhead of 165 kg and explosive weighing 96 kg.

The bomb is 3.2 m long, with a diameter of 255 mm and a wingspan of 550 mm. It has a complex, compact tail design and is fitted with four long-chord, short-span wings to increase its glide range. Drop altitude is 1-10 km, aircraft drop speed is 200-350 m/s
brar_w
BRF Oldie

Post by brar_w »

Seems analogous to the GBU-38 and the GBU-12 as opposed to the GBU39 or -53B.
Last edited by brar_w on 09 Oct 2015 06:31, edited 1 time in total.
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

everyone apart from china and india has bombed the middle east. china is next per reports.
Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

New Class of Transport Truck called "Platform-0" under development as Nuclear Weapons Carrier , will replace Belarus Transport Vehical

"Platform-O": link

Platform 16 × 16 carrying capacity of 85 tons;

Platform 12 × 12 carrying capacity of 50 tons;

tractor 8 × 8 for towing trailer systems weighing 90-165 tons;

ballast truck 8 × 8 for towing trailer systems weighing up to 75 tons.

geeth
BRFite

Post by geeth »

I am no raakit mard, but something tells me that it takes more fuel to fly 1500 km that it would to fly 300 km - even allowing for 300 km @ supersonic speed.
Naaaa...If the difference in speed is 3 times then the slower missile would consume about a tenth of the fuel consumed by the faster one, for the same distance covered roughly.
Aditya G
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya G »

bhavani wrote:How do they reduce the range on the export version of these missiles....

Code: Select all

update MISSILE_CONFIG set MAX_RANGE='(select MCTR_RANGE from MCTR)';
commit;
My SQL is not very good but I hope its that zimble!
Aditya G
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya G »

Singha wrote:...we ought to do the same on all OPV classes. give them some sharp teeth and quit the 100% pure veg restaurant business.
Wake me up when the Shivaliks get Torpedos, Kolkatas gets LRSAMs and Kamortas get ... anything more than what they have!
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

maybe VW Diesel emissions type of software in place!!!
Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

Aditya G wrote:
bhavani wrote:How do they reduce the range on the export version of these missiles....

commit;[/code

My SQL is not very good but I hope its that zimble![/quote]

:lol:
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Karan M wrote:everyone apart from china and india has bombed the middle east. china is next per reports.
We will send a delegation to preach secularism and the effort will bomb and then we too can join the "high table"
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Aditya G wrote:

commit;
My SQL is not very good but I hope its that zimble!
er My SQL is zero, but this program will bomb because it is MTCR - not MCTR.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

it quite clear the 3M14 carries a refined turbofan engine perhaps from same family as the Saturn engine on Nirbhay.

the other members of Klub (export models for sure) have turbojet engine for mid phase and the model with terminal supersonic has solid motor at that stage.

which reminds me we need to complete and deploy nirbhay asap as a national priority.
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

X-posted from the IN td. Adm. of the Fleet,Sergei Gorshkov,must be dancing a jig in his grave,as he is the father of the modern Russian navy and was the pioneer of missile armed combatants. We innovated on his Osa class,towing them to Karachi in '71,he reportedly danced a jig on hearing the news,told a rel. of mine that "you boys have taught us new lessons..".Now Putin has just demonstrated how valuable Gorshkov's policies were with this strike.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2 ... globe.html
Russia’s New Mega-Missile Stuns the Globe
Putin’s latest weapons were mostly unknown to the outside world—until they began slamming into Syria.

On Oct. 7, Russian warships in the Caspian Sea fired 26 high-tech cruise missiles at rebel targets in Syria—a staggering 1,000 miles away.

The missiles in question, which the Pentagon calls SS-N-30s, were mostly unknown to the outside world before the Oct. 7 raid. Even close watchers of the Russian military were surprised to see them. The missile attack was also highly visible. In many ways, it was an announcement to the world, and America in particular, that the once-dilapidated Russian navy is back in action—and that Putin’s missileers are now among the planet’s most advanced.

Planning for the missile attack began on Oct. 5, six days after Moscow’s warplanes conducted their first bombing runs on rebel holdouts in western Syria. Russia is intervening in Syria ostensibly to help the Damascus regime defeat the so-called Islamic State widely known as ISIS, but the Russian attacks seem to be hitting ISIS’s enemies more than the terror army itself. What’s more, critics point out, Syria provides Moscow strategic access to the Mediterranean Sea.

“Russian reconnaissance had discovered a number of important objects of militants, which were to be destroyed immediately,” the Russian Defense Ministry explained in a statement. Drones, surveillance satellites, radio interception, and human spies on the ground helped planners select the targets, the ministry added.

“The strikes engaged plants producing ammunition and explosives, command centers, storages of munitions, armament, and [oil], as well as a training camp of terrorists on the territory of Raqqa, Idlib, and Aleppo,” according to the ministry. Russian Defense Minister Sergei Shoigu said the missiles struck all 11 planned targets.

The Russian military celebrated the raid with a press release and an official video, and Shoigu went on national TV to praise the operation. Kurdish militiamen shot video they claimed depicted the missiles flying over northern Iraq. And the U.S. military apparently closely tracked the rocket-powered, guided munitions—and later claimed that several malfunctioned and crashed in Iran.

The media coverage was at least as important as the destruction of the alleged rebel facilities, U.S. defense officials told The Daily Beast on Wednesday. “This is Russia demonstrating on a global stage that it has a lot of reach,” one official explained.

Eric Wertheim, an independent U.S. naval analyst and author of the definitive Combat Fleets of the World, a reference guide to warships and their weapons, agrees, saying of the missile volley: “I think it was a demonstration to the world.”

Wertheim and other foreign analysts were familiar with an earlier version of the SS-N-30 called the SS-N-27, but the latter is an anti-ship missile and the analysts assumed it could only fly 150 miles or so—a fraction of the roughly thousand miles the rockets traveled during the recent raid.

The SS-N-30 obviously boasts a much greater range than its predecessors and can also strike targets on dry land. That makes it broadly similar to the American Tomahawk missile, which the U.S. military traditionally fires in large numbers from ships and submarines in order to wipe out enemy air defenses before conducting aerial bombing campaigns. The U.S. Navy fired Tomahawks to hit the most heavily defended ISIS targets at the beginning of the American-led air war over Syria in September 2014.

Very few countries posses Tomahawks or similar munitions—and only the United States and Great Britain have ever successfully used them in combat. Now Russia has joined that exclusive club of global military powers. And that should worry the Pentagon, Wertheim said: “It should be a wakeup call that we don’t have a monopoly on the capability.”

What’s particularly striking is that Moscow has been able to build this long-range naval strike capability with much smaller vessels than anyone thought possible. In the U.S. Navy, large destroyers, cruisers, and submarines carry Tomahawk cruise missiles—and those vessels are typically at least 500 feet long and displace as many as 9,000 tons of water.

Russia has joined an exclusive club of global military powers. And that should worry the Pentagon.

The four brand-new warships that launched the SS-N-30s were much, much smaller—ranging in length from 200 to 330 feet and displacing no more than 1,500 tons of water. “Small ships, big firepower,” Wertheim commented.

That matters because, after the collapse of the Soviet Union in 1991, Russia’s shipbuilding industry suffered a long period of deep decline that the Kremlin has lately struggled to reverse. That has had a profound effect on the Russian navy. “There are relatively few new warships in service at present and the ones that have been commissioned in recent years are all relatively small,” Dmitry Gorenburg, from Harvard University’s Davis Center for Russian and Eurasian Studies, wrote in a recent analysis.

But the October barrage proves that even the small warships that Russia is building can strike hard and far—something that, once upon a time, only the United States and its closest allies could do. Moscow’s missile raid helps re-establish Russia as a global military power. “They’re very serious about this,” Wertheim said.
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

shiv wrote:
Karan M wrote:everyone apart from china and india has bombed the middle east. china is next per reports.
We will send a delegation to preach secularism and the effort will bomb and then we too can join the "high table"
Most likely. A delegation of eminent intellectuals and past afsars is sitting ready to deploy for this terribly dangerous combat assignment but its not been done yet because Modi. :lol: (He was also responsible for the doodh wala not delivering milk y'day).
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

Past time for us to follow suit and take out the jihadi scum across the border,but who has the b*lls?
We have similar Russian missiles like Klub,BMos.,etc.
Even the great Mahatama, approved of Indians going to fight for "king and country" in WW2!
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

http://news.usni.org/2015/10/06/u-s-nav ... 82d4[quote]
:wink: U.S. Naval Commander in Europe: NATO Needs to Adapt to Russia’s New Way of Hybrid Warfare
By: Megan Eckstein
October 6, 2015 3:17 PM

Russia has found ways to slow NATO military responses while simultaneously quickening its own ability to mobilize, the commander of U.S. naval forces in Europe and Africa said, and NATO needs to find ways to adapt.

Adm. Mark Ferguson, who also commands the Allied Joint Force Command in Naples, Italy, said at the Atlantic Council on Tuesday that Russia has not only expanded its presence – in the Atlantic Ocean, the Arctic, the Baltic Sea, the Black Sea and now in the Mediterranean Sea – but has deployed more sophisticated weaponry and has introduced an element of hybrid warfare that keeps NATO unsure of how to respond.

“The language coming from the Russian military reflects the mindset and actions characteristic of direct challenge and confrontation with NATO. What makes this approach troubling is hybrid warfare coupled with the ever-present threat of the full application of robust conventional and nuclear forces,” Ferguson said.
“Russia has also introduced new capabilities, such as newer and more stealthy nuclear-powered attack and ballistic missile defense submarines. They are also expanding the reach of their conventional submarines with advanced cruise missiles. Just last month the first Caliber [cruise missile]-equipped Kilo-class submarine transited from the North Sea to the Black Sea, the first of six, bringing within its range the eastern half of Europe.”

What makes the military buildup tricky for NATO is that Russia has also leveraged space and cyber and waded into information and hybrid warfare that is “designed to cripple the decision-making cycle of the alliance. Their capabilities have focused on the creation of ambiguity.”

“On land, Russia exploits ethnic and religious divisions, makes use of an aggressive information campaign, and extensively uses misinformation and deception to delegitimize the forces under attack while confusing the attribution of their actions,” Ferguson said, adding that the Russian Navy has also attempted to disrupt decision-cycles at sea.

At the same time, “to execute swiftly, they are also centralizing their national and military decision-making. We are seeing more frequent snap exercises focused on rapid mobilization and movement directed by central headquarters, to include their naval forces, where we have seen large numbers of ships get underway with little or no notice.”

The end result, he said, is that conditions change faster than NATO’s chain of command can keep up with, with alliance leaders hesitant to stake out a course of action in the midst of so much uncertainty.

During a question and answer session, Ferguson said that NATO has taken some steps to quicken its response time, such as creating a Very High Readiness Joint Task Force and forward stationing some equipment. However, he said the Supreme Allied Commander of Europe and the NATO North Atlantic Council would need to find ways to more rapidly give authorities and permission to respond to crises. Ferguson said Russia has proven several times how quickly it can surprise NATO allies with action, and NATO needs to be more responsive and be able to have the mechanisms to make the decisions quicker” – which in part will require greater situational awareness on the ground.

Additionally, “We may have to think differently about how we set up our command structures in response to speed and surprise,” he said later at the event.

Ferguson said in his presentation that NATO needed to further adapt in several ways. First, alliance members should invest in training at the high end of the warfare scale. Naval forces should be on-call for real-world events, to reduce mobilization time, and those forces need to invest in new technologies to keep up with Russian investment.

He noted that budgets are tight across Europe, but that to upgrade the allies’ militaries with equipment resistant to space and cyber warfare, “in this era of fiscal limits, allies should pool resources and form consortiums to purchase or lease the capabilities the U.S. may possess.”

Ferguson also noted that European forces are struggling to maintain current force levels, let alone grow them. The size of allied navies needs to at least stay steady, and those navies must participate in more live-fire exercises such as the upcoming Trident Juncture and the annual Baltic Operations (BALTOPS) exercise that took place in June.

Ferguson also said in response to a question that he has held meetings with Russian Navy officials to discuss incidents between the United States and Russia, which he described as professional. He said that ship-to-ship interactions between U.S. and Russian forces have also remained professional and responsible but that “we have seen more aggressive behavior from the air forces and aircraft overflights.”
[/quote]
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

in addition russia has also deployed SAMs and radars in crimea that hold most of the airspace over the black sea and southern ukraine under threat.
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

Good USNI report.
http://news.usni.org/2015/10/07/kurdish ... 234c8f82d4
Kurdish Video Lends Credibility to Russian Navy Caspian Sea Strike Mission Claims

By: Sam LaGrone
October 7, 2015 4:29 PM • Updated: October 8, 2015 8:24 AM

Undated photo of Russian Navy guided missile frigate Dagestan firing UKSK Shot.

Russian officials claim that a flotilla of four ships in the Caspian Sea sent a barrage of 26 guided cruise missiles across Iran and Iraq to strike Islamic State in Iraq and Syria (ISIS) targets in Syria — more than 900 miles away.

Those claims were bolstered on Wednesday when Kurdish Peshmerga forces fighting ISIS released a video on Twitter showing a guided cruise missile streak by their encampment.

According to a Wednesday release from the Russian Ministry of Defense, three 1,000-ton Buyan-M corvettes and the 2,000-ton guided missile frigate Dagestan fired the SS-N-30A cruise missiles from ships to target sets including “plants producing ammunition and explosives, command centers, storages of munitions, armament and POL as well as a training camp of terrorists on the territory of the Raqqah, Idlib and Aleppo provinces,” according to the statement.

The Peshmerga video shows two subsonic cruise missiles that correspond to the characteristics of the SS-N-30A.

The Russian Foreign Ministry released its own video combining footage of the ships launching weapons and map of the alleged flight path of the missiles to central Syria at a distance of more than 900 miles for the sub-sonic SS-N-30As or Kalibr NK or 3M-14T.

Officials with the Office of the Secretary of Defense (OSD) and the U.S. Central Command would not confirm any of the Russian claims surrounding the strikes and independent verification of the strikes have not been forth coming.

In addition to the distance the missiles would have had to travel, taking the Russians at their word, the missiles would have to transit through Iranian, Iraqi and Syrian airspace to reach their targets.

Moving that many missiles through that airspace would require a major deconfliction with the air defense systems and aircraft in Iraq and Iran, said Bryan Clark , a retired Navy officer, the former special assistant to the Chief of Naval Operations (CNO) and now a senior fellow at the Center for Strategic and Budgetary Analysis (CSBA).

“If they actually did this, that’s a huge step forward in their ability to coordinate theater wide operations that they haven’t demonstrated in decades,” Clark told USNI News on Wednesday.

If ultimately confirmed, the ability for the Russians to launch a strike from that far is also revelatory Eric Wertheim — naval analyst and author of U.S. Naval Institute’s Combat Fleets of the World — told USNI News on Wednesday.

Buyan M guided missile corvette.

Russian possession of a weapon that parallels the range and performance of the Raytheon Tomahawk Land Attack Missile (TLAM) — the U.S. long range land attack missile — shows “the rest of the world is catching up to this technology,” Wertheim said.
“It’s a wake up call.”

In addition to a statement of the effectiveness of Russian technology the strike on the targets, which could have just as easily been undertaken by the forward deployed Russian aircraft, have a messaging component, Steven Horrell, the U.S. Navy senior fellow at The Atlantic Council told USNI News.

“Regardless of whatever tactical value, this is clear messaging to the U.S. and NATO,” he said.
“It’s possible this is specifically a message to Turkey with recent friction over airspace on the border.”

Launching from the Caspian Sea, rather than from the Black Sea-based surface action group, currently in the Eastern Mediterranean, also shows the the seams in the abilities of the Russian surface fleet.

The Buyan-M corvettes and Dagestan are among the more modern surface combatants in the Russian fleet and are equipped UKSK vertical launch system capable of fielding the long-range cruise missile. Ships of the Black Sea SAG are incapable of fielding the more modern weapons as Russia has elected not to modernize the ships.

However, the Russian Navy is expanding platforms with the cruise missiles.

“In addition to the Caspian Sea, this capability is in the Black Sea on the Improved-Kilo-class submarine Novorossiysk which just arrived last month and in the Baltic Fleet on their newer frigates,” Horrell said.

The following is the complete Oct. 7, 2015 statement from the Russian Ministry of Defense on the missile strikes from Caspian Sea.

This night the ship strike group of the Russian Navy launched cruise missiles against ISIS infrastructural facilities in Syria from the assigned district of the Caspian Sea.

The cruise missiles hit all the assigned targets. The deviation from aims during the long-range engagement did not exceed 3 meters.

Plants producing ammunition and explosives, command centres, storages of munitions, armament and POL as well as a training camp of terrorists on the territory of the Raqqah, Idlib and Aleppo provinces were engaged.

The missile ship Dagestan (project 11661) was the flag ship of the ship strike group. Its displacement constitutes about 2 000 tons, its length is about 200 meters. The ship is equipped with a modern high-accuracy missile system Kalibr NK capable of engaging targets by cruise missiles located on all the territory of Syria with the accuracy of up to 3 meters. The cruise missiles fly at the altitudes of up to 50 meters following the terrain.
The missile ship Dagestan is capable of task performance at the distance of 4 000 km from the permanent base.

The displacement of small-sized missile ships Grad Sviyazhsk, Uglich, Veliky Ustyug (project 21631) is 1 000 tons, their length is over 70 meters. The main strike weapon of the ships of this type is the Kalibr NK high-precision ship missile system, which allows to engage targets day and night in bad hydrometeorological conditions.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

^^^^^^^

No mention or details of the perfidious US led, saudi fed coalition "against" the ISIS.

How come the ISIS rebels are running now, when they did not run before?? :P

P.S.

Did the price of ruskie weaponry just go up??
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

After their ancestors spread bloodshed and mayhem across the world by invading for plunder and pillage, now looks like its the Arab worlds turn to get bombed, smacked around, and generally blown to bits by all and sundry. Everyone is using them as a live advertorial for their weapons. What a mess.
member_22539
BRF Oldie

Post by member_22539 »

^The arabs have a long way to go before they make up for what they owe the non-islamic world, particularly us. This just the first pinpricks of the gruesome torture to come.
Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

BrahMos on Su-30MKI to be flight-tested early next year

http://www.forceindia.net/NowintheAir.aspx

some synopsis

According to Mishra, “the flight test of the BrahMos air launched version (on Su-30MKI) is planned for February-March 2016. We think that one flight test would be enough after which the air version would be cleared for production.” As the user has been co-opted in this venture by BrahMos Aerospace from the beginning, more flight tests would be unnecessary, he said.

Elaborating on the six steps for the air version, of which two are over, Mishra disclosed that structural modifications on Su-30MKI have been done by HAL (Nasik). According to him, “the Russian Sukhoi design bureau was approached. After two years of negotiations, the price that they quoted for structural modifications was exorbitant. This is when HAL took on the challenge and showed desired results which were successfully demonstrated in middle of 2014-2015.”

The second successfully demonstrated step has been the ‘launcher realisation’, which has been designed, developed and produced by BrahMos Aerospace. Mishra said that, “the DGQA has already given conditional clearance for the launcher implying that mechanical and electrical activities needed for the launcher on aircraft have been vindicated.”

The third step, according to Mishra, will be the integration of missile with the launcher for flights in various profiles. Once done, this will be followed by the ‘Drop Test” to ascertain the behaviour of the missile once released from the aircraft. The fifth step would be to integrate sensors with the missile and to ensure that there is no ‘major deviation between the theoretical and demonstrated parameters.’ The last step would be the ‘flight test in total configuration.’

Once the final flight test is done, two Su-30 aircraft will be flight-tested by ASTE, Bangalore (user) as the precursor to unspecified numbers of aircraft being armed with the BrahMos missile. According to Mishra, there are numerous agencies involved in the flight test. These include Cemilac, DARE, NAL, DG AQA, RCMA, MSQAA, HAL, ASTE (Bangalore), SDI and the project office of BrahMos’ to name a few.

On BrahMos-M, Mishra said plenty of work has been done and ‘we are in touch with the user (Indian Air Force). “BrahMos-M will be a new design. A compact engine with better energy propellant which will not compromise on 300km range; lighter weight with less diameter; speed of 3.3 Mach; and better packing and routing of pipes with computer-aided design.”

To ascertain the feasibility of BrahMos-M, three steps have been initiated. One, HAL has done some preliminary studies. Two, DRDO has conducted design studies which will be shared with Russian NPOM partner. And three, Russia is willing to develop the new propulsion system keeping BrahMos Aerospace in the loop. This is not all

The seeker for BrahMos-M will have sufficient redundancies to include anti-radiation, Radio Frequency and Imaging Infra-Red. The guidance in addition to the present G3 combination will also come from indigenous satellite navigation constellation — IRNSS — which will have a total of seven satellites of which three have been placed in space.”

The BrahMos-M with a weight of 1.4 ton for the air force version and 1.6 ton for the navy version will be a breakthrough. “We expect five BrahMos-M to be carried by Su-30 (two each on the wings and one on the belly), and two each missile with the MiG-29K and the fifth generation fighter aircraft being co-developed with Russia.” Thus, “BrahMos-M is ready to be moved from the drawing board to real work once the government gives the green light.”

The hypersonic BrahMos, Mishra reflected, “is on the drawing board.” BrahMos envisages a hypersonic engine to replace the present supersonic. “It is envisaged to provide speed of Mach 5. It will follow different aerodynamic laws; and have different propulsion, materials, electronics, data links and suppliers,” said Mishra adding that, “We (BrahMos and DRDO) are already working on the engine and hope to test it in five years.”
Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

Unmanned BMP-3 Vehical Strike , Tracked Vehical and Unmanned Jonga type jeep was displayed in Innovation day

Better video of unmanned TD BMP-3 called Strike with new turret

Ammunition of 500 shots for a 30-mm 2A42 automatic cannon was placed in an isolated room. It looks great, even for unmanned vehicle, as in the case of injury or damage to the module platform itself remains intact. In addition to the gun and coaxial machine gun PKT with 2,000 rounds ammunition, this option is "Smash" is a powerful guided missile weapons, which consists of a set of "Cornet": just 4 ur two protected launchers. Fire control system meets the latest requirements: Operators can search targets simultaneously in different spectral ranges, in passive and active mode.

According to the "Military Review", possible simultaneous firing of two purposes: from automatic guns at air targets using automatic tracking. Optical Locator helps the operator to find the concealed targets.
http://sdelanounas.ru/blogs/68880/
Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

New-generation Russian Armored Vehicles Built On Common Design

Russia redesigns turrets, chassis and weapons for tracked vehicles

Oct 9, 2015 David Eshel | Aviation Week & Space Technology - Defense Technology Edition

The Armata family of tracked armored platforms recently made its second public appearance, at the Russia Arms Expo 2015 in Nizhny Tagil, Russia, with displays of the T-14 tank and T-15 BMP infantry fighting vehicle (IFV). Built on the common Armata chassis, they will eventually replace the T-72 main battle tank, armored personnel carriers and other tracked platforms in the Russian military.

Also on display was the Koalitsiya self-propelled 152-mm artillery system. The gun’s current hull is a derivative of the T-72, but future serial production vehicles are also likely to be based on the Armata chassis, thus gaining the advantage of matching the off-road mobility and sustainability derived from a fleet with common platforms.

This was the first time the armored vehicles had appeared in public since their debut in Moscow during the May Day parade. No noticeable difference was seen from those that traversed Red Square on that day, although this time only one example each of the T-14 Armata tank, T-15 IFV and Koalitsiya gun were displayed in a guarded corral, which allowed viewing by spectators from a safe distance.

First impressions clearly indicate a family resemblance, at least for the T-14 and T-15. Though the two vehicles have a common chassis, the directions are reversed, with the tank engine in the rear and the BMP’s power pack in front.

Both vehicles are fitted with what seems to be an integrated armor suite that looks heavier than those of the T-72 and T-90 tanks. The absence of add-on modules, or even add-on armor mounts, hints at the use of new and improved protection modules, at least in the hulls. Previous Russian tank designs used reactive armor modules extensively. The new family does not have the tiles that indicate reactive armor but likely shares those capabilities as part of an integrated armor suite.

The turrets of the vehicles set each platform apart from the others. The T-15 turret seems to be the most mature, employing the Epoch Almaty system designed by KBP Instrument Design Bureau. This remotely operated turret mounts a single 2A72 30-mm cannon with 500 rounds, coaxial 7.62-mm machine gun and four laser-beam-riding AT14 Kornet EM guided anti-tank/anti-materiel missiles. The turret has redundant, independently controlled optronic systems, enabling simultaneous operation by the crew of two onboard weapon systems. Both modules have a guidance kit supporting the Kornet missile system, possibly enabling the simultaneous guidance of two missiles launched at two targets.

The T-14 has a new unmanned turret, mounting a 2AD82-1M smoothbore 125-mm cannon. The turret is equipped with an automatic loader and ammunition-feeding system, enabling remote operation from the crew compartment in the hull. Forward of the weapons complex, the crew compartment has three positions—for driver, gunner and commander—and is isolated from the rest of the tank by armored bulkheads.

The T-14 shares the latest ammunition line developed for the T-90MS tank variant, including armor-piercing discarding sabot and high-explosive anti-tank rounds, as well as a new high-explosive/fragmentation round optimized for urban engagements against infantry and structures. For long-range engagement, the T-14 and T-90MS rely on the 9M119M Refleks gun-launched, laser-beam-riding guided missile.

The concept of operation relying on remotely operated weapons is also implemented in the highly automated Koalitsiya gun. Three crewmembers are seated in the hull, while the weapon, ammunition, loading systems and gun-laying and target-acquisition systems are in an unmanned turret above.

With crew seated low in the hull, both the T-14 and T-15 use active protection systems and multiple cameras to provide situational awareness and panoramic views. The T-14 has eight cameras embedded in the turret, on each face. The T-15 uses twin camera blocks on each side, and single cameras on the front and rear, in addition to a larger camera assisting the driver.

Apart from the Armata platforms, unmanned, remotely operated weapon stations (ROWS) were seen in other displays, including a modernized version of the BTR-80 8 X 8 vehicle unveiled by Uralvagonzavod and two new variants of the BMP-3 developed by vehicle manufacturer Tractor Plants Machinery and Industrial Group. The latter are part of the company’s modernization plan for the BMP-3, which takes advantage of the reduced weight and increased volume of under armor provided by the ROWS. The new design has more spacious seating for a squad and two weapon-operation positions, for commander and gunner.

The vehicle is offered with three optional weapon stations, all remotely operated. The Dragoon unmanned turret mounts the standard 2A70 100-mm cannon, 2A72 30-mm automatic cannon and 7.62-mm PKTM machine gun. Another option is the AU-220M turret, designated Derivative, mounting a new stabilized 57-mm cannon with 200 rounds. Unveiled earlier this year at the IDEX expo in Dubai, Derivative, developed by CRI Petrek, can be integrated on various armored platforms, including the T-15, Kurganets 25 and Boomerang 8 X 8 vehicles, all currently mounting the Epoch system.

In addition to offering higher-caliber firepower over the current 30-mm cannon, this turret is expected to accept an additional load of guided missiles, extending the vehicle’s effective range against different battlefield targets (short of main battle tanks) to 6,000 meters (19,686 ft.). The weapon’s high elevation will enable BMP-3s with Derivative to effectively engage targets in urban areas—as well as unmanned aerial vehicles and helicopters—at a range of 8,000 meters, according to data provided by the manufacturer.

The BMP-3 IFV will also be offered with an unmanned turret mounting a low-recoil variant of the 125-mm smoothbore cannon, the same cannon used on the current Sprut tank destroyer, but remotely operated. This version was not on display at the expo.

Fitted with an unmanned turret, the BMP-3 IFV becomes a more efficient and ergonomic platform. In the Dragoon variant, moving the engine to the front enables a redesign of the fighting compartment for greater accessibility, with troop seating comprising two three-seat benches rather than the campfire-like seating around the turret that characterized previous designs.

The new configuration of the BTR-80 8 X 8 armored vehicle adds the 6S21 ROWS, mounting a 14.5-mm heavy machine gun controlled via an electro-optical set comprising video and thermal cameras.

The vehicle is designed with spall liners and slat armor for improved crew protection. Video surveillance cameras surround it, providing better situational awareness under armor, an obvious asset in combat, particularly in urban areas. The ROWS improves weapon operation by adding weapon and optronics stabilization and by integrating a TV and thermal imager, as well as a laser rangefinder. Weapon operation and control is available from the gunner and commander positions, using the system’s displays and controls.
Last edited by Austin on 11 Oct 2015 13:44, edited 2 times in total.
Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

Recently used in Syria RBK-500 SPBE-D cluster bomb dispensers , video shows how it works

shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Stealth squared: PAK-FA’s new angular missiles’ images pop up online
Special stealth versions of existing cruise missiles designed specifically for deployment from inner weapon bays of the 5G PAK-FA stealth fighter jet have appeared on the internet following the MAKS-2015 international air show.

Developed by the Raduga (Rainbow) State Engineering Development Laboratory, an integral part of Russia’s Tactical Missile Munitions Corporation, these unusual-looking square section air-to-surface and antiradar cruise missiles are specifically designated for the PAK-FA 5G fighter jet and possibly for the future long-distance PAK-DA bomber. The images were posted online by sdelanounas.ru website.

The KH-59МК2 cruise missile and KH-58USHKA anti-radar missile are compact versions of existing missiles, redesigned and deeply modernized to satisfy the needs of next-generation stealth aircraft.

The KH-59МК2 measures 0.4 meters by 0.4 meters in section and is only 4.2 meters long. When mounted into an inside weapon bay of a PAK-FA, it will not interfere with an aircraft’s stealth capabilities.

Yet this 770kg missile is also designed using stealth technology. It can be launched from any altitude from 200 meters to 11km, delivering its 310kg warhead to a target at a speed of up to 1,000kph.

For large-area targets, the KH-59МК2 missile has a cluster-munitions dispenser type of warhead.

Unlike its predecessor KH-59, which had its engine positioned under the missile’s body, thus making it possible to mount under the wing of the aircraft only, the new missiles have their engines hidden within the main body of the projectile.

With a miss distance of a mere 3 meters, the missile promises to hit the bull’s eye.

The range of the export version, allegedly being presented for the Indian version of PAK-FA, the FGFA aircraft, is limited to 290km, while the range of the home version remains a secret and could be much longer.
Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

Club Missile

Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

‘Drop-and-Forget’: Russia Develops Supersonic Smart Bomb

http://sputniknews.com/russia/20151018/ ... -bomb.html
The KAB-250 is a follow-on to the larger KAB-500 PGM, which made its combat debut in September in Syria. There are two versions of the 250-kilogram KAB: a laser-guided version and a satellite-guided version.

Based on the “drop-and-forget” principle, the KAB-250 guided aerial bomb incorporates the latest advances in science and technology, including the experience of its KAB-500 predecessor.

The inertial guidance system directs the bomb towards the target area. Two to three kilometers from the target the bomb’s onboard computer commands the thermal homing head to acquire the designated target.

The KAB-250’s thermal homing head then compares the acquired image with the reference picture laid down in its memory before discharge, and corrects the trajectory so that the radius of the deviation does not exceed three meters.

The KAB-250 has a fragmentation warhead designed to destroy lightly vulnerable materiel, thin-skinned vehicles, and other enemy installations. The bomb can be dropped individually or in salvoes.

The KAB-250 is 10.5 feet long, weighs a total of 565 pounds, with a 365 pound warhead and a 200-pound explosive.

It has a complex, compact tail design and is fitted with four long-chord, short-span wings to increase its glide range. It falls from an aircraft at a rate of 655-1,150 feet per second.

The KAB-250 can be used in all weather conditions and time of day, with different trajectories and speeds of several Mach number. The aerodynamic wings and close to neutral alignment munition provide high maneuverability and greater range.