Indian Nuclear Submarines -3

The Military Issues & History Forum is a venue to discuss issues relating to the military aspects of the Indian Armed Forces, whether the past, present or future. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Pratyush
BRF Oldie

Re: Indian Nuclear Submarines -3

Post by Pratyush »

https://www.business-standard.com/artic ... 031_1.html

Posting from the article
BARC has successfully developed a 190 Megawatt (Mw) reactor for India’s fleet of four-to-six nuclear propelled, nuclear missile carrying submarines,
Last Updated at October 27 2017

I was under the impression that the 190 MW reactor was already ready. Which is why MDL had stated last year, that they will be starting nuclear attack submarine construction by 2024.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

They likely have a design ready, which Ajai Shukla terms as "successfully developed".

But one can only call the reactor "successfully developed" when she fits inside the hull of a 6,000 ton SSN and works as per design parameters. We are a long way off from that mark.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

When AUKUS was unveiled in Sept 2021, a few retired Admirals (including a former Naval Chief) were wondering when India was going to get a similar AUKUS deal from the US. Boy, am I glad that India did not fall into that trap ---> viewtopic.php?f=3&p=2582265#p2582265

Ghar Ki Murgi, Daal Barabar!

P.S. The French are laughing :lol:
ShauryaT
BRF Oldie

Post by ShauryaT »

Pratyush wrote:https://www.business-standard.com/artic ... 031_1.html

Posting from the article
BARC has successfully developed a 190 Megawatt (Mw) reactor for India’s fleet of four-to-six nuclear propelled, nuclear missile carrying submarines,
Last Updated at October 27 2017

I was under the impression that the 190 MW reactor was already ready. Which is why MDL had stated last year, that they will be starting nuclear attack submarine construction by 2024.
Identical to the Akula reactor. Given that we operate one, not surprised and probably Russian help in the mix, just like our SSBN reactor. Maybe it is also time to think about a nuclear powered carrier using this to drive the propeller.
Avid
BRFite

Post by Avid »

ShauryaT wrote:Identical to the Akula reactor. Given that we operate one, not surprised and probably Russian help in the mix, just like our SSBN reactor. Maybe it is also time to think about a nuclear powered carrier using this to drive the propeller.
Estimated power of A1B reactor that powers Gerald Ford is ~700MW of which ~260MW is for propulsion. Rest for EMALS and other requirements.

Reducing for a smaller carrier (60-70K size) will only scale down the 260MW requirement; the remaining will stay similar.

Assuming that the Navy goes for IFEP for the carrier (to simplify power management and propulsion) -- that implies pretty much 3x190 MW or 4x190MW reactors onboard?

IN deployments are in the IOR. I don't know the typical duration of deployment and why a nuclear powered reactor may be better than alternative for IN's needs.
JTull
BRF Oldie

Post by JTull »

Just want to correct your calculations slightly.

If 190MW reactor is supposed to be an upgrade of Arihant 80MWe reactor then it will be 190MWe. So twin reactors will be be enough if you're comparing to Gerald Ford's 260MWe.

But submarine reactors aren't comparable to surface ship reactors. You don't need as much enrichment as there isn't as much space constraint. Plus it doesn't need to be sealed in the same way. Sub reactors are cut out and often replaced entirely instead of refueling old reactor. Large surface ships can be refueled without even needing to be in dry dock.
ShauryaT
BRF Oldie

Post by ShauryaT »

JTull: The Arihant is circa 90 MWt. The MWe is much smaller. If we really had a 80MWe reactor the Arihant would be humming and a big whale.
Last edited by ShauryaT on 10 Mar 2023 06:35, edited 1 time in total.
ShauryaT
BRF Oldie

Post by ShauryaT »

Avid wrote:
ShauryaT wrote:Identical to the Akula reactor. Given that we operate one, not surprised and probably Russian help in the mix, just like our SSBN reactor. Maybe it is also time to think about a nuclear powered carrier using this to drive the propeller.
Estimated power of A1B reactor that powers Gerald Ford is ~700MW of which ~260MW is for propulsion. Rest for EMALS and other requirements.

Reducing for a smaller carrier (60-70K size) will only scale down the 260MW requirement; the remaining will stay similar.

Assuming that the Navy goes for IFEP for the carrier (to simplify power management and propulsion) -- that implies pretty much 3x190 MW or 4x190MW reactors onboard?

IN deployments are in the IOR. I don't know the typical duration of deployment and why a nuclear powered reactor may be better than alternative for IN's needs.
Let us not think the Gerald Ford, think of it as a learning curve, more akin to the USS enterprise, which had 8 reactors! The EMALS et al can be done later. If we have the propulsion piece then we can probably do a 2x190 MWt for a 65KT carrier. Learn and scale from there.

Why is it better. Amongst other things, the fact that it would be indigenous and provide to us option to power a whole host of things including larger carriers as our ambition scales, is good enough reason - IF the news that we have a working model in place is true.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

Navy to approach govt for three AIP-equipped attack submarines
https://www.hindustantimes.com/india-ne ... 22337.html
14 March 2023
In the backdrop of the AUKUS alliance involving US and UK nuclear-powered submarines patrolling the west coast of Australia and beyond as soon as 2027, India is looking to upgrade its submarine fleet with three nuclear-powered conventional weapon-armed submarines in collaboration with France on lines of the latest 4,765-ton Barracuda class.
^^^Wait....what???? :)
While the decision to go for nuclear attack submarines may take procedural time, India is expected to get one nuclear attack submarine from Russia on lease as part of the past contract to replace the previously leased INS Chakra in 2025. This deal was signed much before the Ukraine war with India adhering to the payment routine.
nachiket
Forum Moderator

Post by nachiket »

Rakesh wrote: Navy to approach govt for three AIP-equipped attack submarines
https://www.hindustantimes.com/india-ne ... 22337.html
14 March 2023
In the backdrop of the AUKUS alliance involving US and UK nuclear-powered submarines patrolling the west coast of Australia and beyond as soon as 2027, India is looking to upgrade its submarine fleet with three nuclear-powered conventional weapon-armed submarines in collaboration with France on lines of the latest 4,765-ton Barracuda class.
^^^Wait....what???? :)
Unless we missed some really big news, this came straight out of the reporter's musharraf.
Pratyush
BRF Oldie

Post by Pratyush »

Technically nuclear propulsion is AIP.

The submarine arm is quite secretive.

MDL has stated that it will be able to start with a nuclear powered submarine by 2024-25.

The claimed displacement of the submarine is consistent with an Arihant minus the missile compartment.

5 different potential combinations come to mind.

1) Arihant minus the missile compartment.
2) Clean sheet design with Arihant reactor. From what we know of the minimum order quantity for the Indian Navy. 3 is the magic number.
3) Barracuda with Indian 190 MW reactor.
4) Barracuda with Indian 83 MW reactor.
5) Off the shelf Barracuda.

Point no 1) and 5) are most likely to meet the proposed timeline of 2027.
Roop
BRFite

Post by Roop »

Pratyush wrote:... The submarine arm is quite secretive. ...

5 different potential combinations come to mind. ...

1) ... 2) ... 3) ... 4) ... 5) ...

Point no 1) and 5) are most likely to meet the proposed timeline of 2027.
Nice summary of options there, Pratyush bhai. Aapke muh me ghee-shakkar onlee! 8)

My initial reaction on reading this was the same as Rakesh's "(^^^Wait....what???? :) )" I was gob-smacked (in a good way) by this news. Now, nachiket may be right, of course (that this is fake news that this author pulled out of his musharraf), but I hope not.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

An old article, but it could make sense to adopt this path...instead of the expensive P-75I program.

* Get additional Scorpene Class boats.
* Cancel the P-75I program and go in for SSNs.
* I highly doubt we will get the Barracuda/Suffren Class off the shelf, as it will be very expensive. Rather some systems (i.e. pump jet propulsion being one example) will be incorporated into the Indian SSN program (Project 75 Alpha).
* I am not too sure how eager the Indian Navy is invested in the LEU design of the Barracuda Class, especially with BARC working on the 190MW CLWR-B2 HEU reactor for the P-75A program.
* For France (and for Naval Group), it will be a redemption of sorts after the stinging loss of the Australian submarine deal.

France Set To Offer Barracuda Nuclear Submarines To India
https://www.businessworld.in/article/Fr ... 21-414965/
15 Dec 2021
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

Why India’s lengthy wait for nuclear-powered attack submarines will get longer
https://www.news9live.com/india/why-ind ... 05-2076078
15 March 2023
Rs 48,000 crore project for building three indigenous nuclear powered attack submarines (SSNs) awaiting government clearance.
sajaym
BRFite

Post by sajaym »

Rakesh wrote: * For France (and for Naval Group), it will be a redemption of sorts after the stinging loss of the Australian submarine deal.

France Set To Offer Barracuda Nuclear Submarines To India
https://www.businessworld.in/article/Fr ... 21-414965/
15 Dec 2021
We should ask them to allow us to take one of theirs on lease first, so that we can try and buy. That way we'll have one on operations until the new ones come online. One leased Barracuda for the Arabian Sea and one leased Chakra for the Bay of Bengal.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

They have only one in active service - the first in the series i.e. the Suffren. The next one is the Duguay-Trouin, which is expected to be ready for operational service only this year. The French will not part with it.

There is an entire ecosystem that has to be set up in India for maintaining a LEU-type reactor. There are some platforms the French (or any Western country) will never part with, due to the classified systems on board. AUKUS is a different beast unto itself and will be given to like minded countries *ONLY* i.e. White, Anglo Saxon, Protestant (WASP). India will never fit into any of those brackets and neither should it try to. I see some of our Admirals on Twitter arguing for a similar AUKUS-type deal.

Moral of the Story - We are not getting a Barracuda Class or any Western SSN, no matter whatever threat China poses.

What the French are offering are some key technologies & weapons i.e. pump jet propulsion, Naval SCALP, photonic masts, etc. Project 75 Alpha will be the usual desi jugaad - a mixture of foreign and Indian sub-systems specifically tailored for an Indian-designed boat. Something along the lines of a Su-30MKI (crude example, but you get the idea). The Indian Navy has been doing desi jugaad for decades on their surface and sub-surface fleet. Expect the 190MW CLWR-B2 HEU reactor onlee on the P75A.

This strategy has clear advantages. Take the best from various designs and customize it for Indian operational requirements. The main disadvantage to this strategy is time.

P.S. Some alphabet type agreements (i.e. LEMOA and LSA) with France is however a distinct possibility. Just like with AUKUS, having French boats operate from a forward base will increase operational flexibility and reduce the length of time it will take to get into a particular theatre. Sharing intelligence on Chinese naval movements, with the Indian Navy will also occur.
Avid
BRFite

Post by Avid »

Rakesh wrote:They have only one in active service - the first in the series i.e. the Suffren. The next one is the Duguay-Trouin, which is expected to be ready for operational service only this year. The French will not part with it.

There is an entire ecosystem that has to be set up in India for maintaining a LEU-type reactor. There are some platforms the French (or any Western country) will never part with, due to the classified systems on board. AUKUS is a different beast unto itself and will be given to like minded countries *ONLY* i.e. White, Anglo Saxon, Protestant (WASP). India will never fit into any of those brackets and neither should it try to. I see some of our Admirals on Twitter arguing for a similar AUKUS-type deal.

This strategy has clear advantages. Take the best from various designs and customize it for Indian operational requirements. The main disadvantage to this strategy is time.
Time for the platform is the downside; but that time is indeed needed for the entire ecosystem. There are no shortcuts to building the ecosystem. AUKUS price tag is a bit too steep IMHO.

Re AUKUS -- Former PM Keating is causing much turbulence with a lot of straight talk.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/ ... l-problems
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

The ecosystem already exists for maintaining and operating HEU reactors via the Arihant Class. That investment has already been made. I am not sure how open India is to the idea of repeating that investment via a LEU reactor. The lease of the Akula (Chakra-II) was also a huge help for India. BARC is rumoured to have taken significant design inputs from the 190 MW OK-650 HEU reactor from the Akula, for its own 190MW CLWR-B2 HEU reactor for Project 75 Alpha.

Paul Keating has the luxury of saying whatever he wants, because he is no longer PM of Australia. He was PM in the early to mid 90s, when China was akin to a baby Panda. That is not the situation today. AUKUS, while inordinately expensive, is very much needed for Australia. If not properly managed, AUKUS will bankrupt the Aussies. But that is a risk the Aussies have to manage. Our situation is marginally better, as we are not buying an entire boat from another country. But this capability is indeed not cheap.

There are three projects, IMVHO, that India must properly and regularly fund (at the expense of imports);

1) Project 75 Alpha - the SSN program
2) Project S5 - follow on SSBN program
3) IAC-2 and IAC-3

Everything else (MRFA, MRCBF, etc) must take a back seat to the above. From the above three, will springboard a number of local programs.

Some examples are;

* Improved USHUS sonar for P75A and Project S5
* Towed Array Sonar (for P75A and Project S5) from the recently formed Towed Array Integration Facility, which was set up in 2022 by then Vice President M Venkaiah Naidu --> https://www.pib.gov.in/PressReleseDetai ... ID=1786957
* Improved Varunastra heavy torpedoes for P75A and Project S5
* BrahMos / Nirbhay VLS cells for P75A
* TEDBF & DBMRH for IAC-2, IAC-3 and even IAC-1

But if there is no consistent funding for 1, 2 and 3...none of the above will come in any decent time. It is symbiotic.
Prasad
BRF Oldie

Post by Prasad »

You're forgetting the diesel-electric program. IAC-2 will be enough for the next 10 years.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

Prasad wrote:You're forgetting the diesel-electric program.
SSKs are good for brown water navies i.e. protecting the shallow seas and the coastline. A vital role for the Indian Navy.

SSNs are for blue water navies. i.e. take the fight to the enemy. You cannot do that with a SSK. You can send a SSN into the South China Sea with a very high probability of remaining undetected and completing her mission. You cannot send a carrier battle group, to even near that theatre and expect to remain hidden. So that CBG better have an effective counter to the sub-surface, surface and aerial threats.

See this post ---> viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4752&start=3760#p2582983

Both types are needed.
Prasad wrote:IAC-2 will be enough for the next 10 years.
IAC-2 will come only in 10 years. By then Vikramaditya will retire, as per the Navy's own admission.

The navy requires three aircraft carriers, as per its own doctrine.
Ankit Desai
BRFite

Post by Ankit Desai »

Rakesh wrote:....
SSNs are for blue water navies. i.e. take the fight to the enemy. You cannot do that with a SSK. You can send a SSN into the South China Sea with a very high probability of remaining undetected and completing her mission. You cannot send a carrier battle group, to even near that theatre and expect to remain hidden. So that CBG better have an effective counter to the sub-surface, surface and aerial threats.
Example
At the height of one of many border standoffs between India and China in the past decade, the Navy’s lone nuclear-powered attack submarine (SSN), the INS Chakra, slipped out of Visakhapatnam harbour.

The Chakra dived into the Bay of Bengal and disappeared for over a month, her deployment known to very few in the government. The SSN transited a few thousand nautical miles to the east where she occupied a patrol station and successfully accomplished its mission.
Sandeep Unnithan: Rs 48,000 crore project for building three indigenous nuclear powered attack submarines (SSNs) awaiting government clearance.

-Ankit
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

Rakesh wrote:P.S. Some alphabet type agreements (i.e. LEMOA and LSA) with France is however a distinct possibility. Just like with AUKUS, having French boats operate from a forward base will increase operational flexibility and reduce the length of time it will take to get into a particular theatre. Sharing intelligence on Chinese naval movements, with the Indian Navy will also occur.
Rakesh, we already have a LEMOA-like agreement with France known as Agreement for the Provision of Reciprocal Logistics Support between the Armed Forces, signed 5 years back.

The two countries plan to launch a constellation of low-Earth orbiting satellites that will identify and track the movement of ships globally – and in particular, those moving in the Indian Ocean region. A French Liaison Officer is also posted at IN's Fusion Center at Gurugram.
Prem Kumar
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem Kumar »

Its criminal negligence on the part of the MoD to not sanction funds for the reduced count of 3 SSNs (6 of which were OK'ed by Manohar Parikkar in 2015 itself!). Even with the actual deployment of the Chakra during the LAC standoff, if the Govt cannot recognize the criticality of this project, I don't know what will?

The money is available (if they can spend lakhs of crores on road, rail infra & welfare), they can certainly spend on this. And this cost will be borne over time. 48K Crores is really peanuts for such an important project. And for a change, the IN and Govt see eye-to-eye on this when it comes to Atmanirbharta - everything will be indigenous

Moreover, SSNs are crucial to protect our IAC-1 & 2 carrier battle groups, which is why 3 SSNs are insufficient
sajaym
BRFite

Post by sajaym »

https://idrw.org/mdl-starts-work-on-mid ... dian-navy/

MDL supposedly working on midget submarines, with optional capability for development of UUVs. So then take the design of the same midget submarine, add the nuclear reactor designed for the arihant, then add 2 torpedoes AND then we'll have a desi version of the Russian Poseidon nuclear powered torpedo! Essentially a nuclear reactor with 2 torpedoes attached!!

Much cheaper than the SSNs the navy is crying for. UUVN - Nuclear powered, unmanned, lower cost of operation & manpower, larger numbers, quicker build time, lesser Rona dhona.
Pratyush
BRF Oldie

Post by Pratyush »

Prem Kumar wrote:Its criminal negligence on the part of the MoD to not sanction funds for the reduced count of 3 SSNs (6 of which were OK'ed by Manohar Parikkar in 2015 itself!).
Snip...
I think the issue of submarines is not a fault of the MOD.

I believe that the Navy has tied up itself in knots with the submarine design. Initially they were talking about a 6000 tons boat to be powered by the new 190 MW reactor.

The latest reporting is referring to a submarine of approximately 4750 tons. Will the 190 MW reactor fit such a boat. Or will it be using the older 83 MW reactor.

IOW, they have repeated the same mistakes they made WRT, the IAC 2 and the P75I.

Unless the service gets it's own act in order. It will not be receiving any additional funds.

If the reporting about the follow on scorpion subs with AIP is proven to be correct. The Navy will have taken steps to rectify it's current situation.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

SSridhar wrote:
Rakesh wrote:P.S. Some alphabet type agreements (i.e. LEMOA and LSA) with France is however a distinct possibility. Just like with AUKUS, having French boats operate from a forward base will increase operational flexibility and reduce the length of time it will take to get into a particular theatre. Sharing intelligence on Chinese naval movements, with the Indian Navy will also occur.
Rakesh, we already have a LEMOA-like agreement with France known as Agreement for the Provision of Reciprocal Logistics Support between the Armed Forces, signed 5 years back.

The two countries plan to launch a constellation of low-Earth orbiting satellites that will identify and track the movement of ships globally – and in particular, those moving in the Indian Ocean region. A French Liaison Officer is also posted at IN's Fusion Center at Gurugram.
Thank you SSridhar-ji. I missed this, but great news.

Aap Ke Muh Mein Ghee Shakhar :)
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

An Astute Class boat of the Royal Navy, recently completed a 403 day patrol and returned home to the UK. That is more than a year long patrol! Additional pictures are there in the link below. At 403 days, this is an intelligence gathering mission.

So just a caveat ---> The boat is limited in endurance in terms of food & other supplies, but unlimited in terms of energy (nuclear reactor). The PWR 2 HEU reactor on board, has a life expectancy of 30 years! So the boat, will reload on such supplies from a friendly theatre and then head back to her mission theatre. And if the mission requires a 24-7 vigilance, rest assured that there are other Astute Class boats + other Allied boats in the same theatre for redundancies. Once the Aussie n-boats become operational, the number of boats available will only increase. This is the beauty of a SSN. You cannot do a continuous 403 day patrol, with a SSK. As of today, there are four Astute Class boats in active service + 1 in sea trials and two more under construction.

For India, a six-build SSN program is the bare minimum and we are reportedly even cutting that number to half.

https://twitter.com/DougieCoullPics/sta ... 07809?s=20 ---> Royal Navy Astute class boat returning after 403 day patrol, families are there to greet their loved ones on arrival.

Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

An article from 2017, but with good info. Do read.

French Barracuda project’s utility to India
https://www.livemint.com/Opinion/rqltXd ... India.html
29 Nov 2017
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

Some interesting news, but unsure how true this is. Macron is supposed to come to India this month, so perhaps the news is now trickling in.

But assuming the following article is factual, some facts have been confirmed;

1) France is NOT offering the entire boat, but technologies from the Barracuda Class SSN program.
2) Project 75 Alpha will feature the BARC-designed 190MW CLWR-B2 HEU reactor.

After AUKUS, in yet another jolt for China, France offers India deal to make 6 nuclear submarines
https://www.firstpost.com/world/after-a ... 02902.html
16 March 2023

P.S. Is it too much to ask for a 8 - 12 VLS cell for BrahMos/Nirbhay SLCMs? :twisted:
V_Raman
BRFite

Post by V_Raman »

Things seem to be seismically shifting underneath and I am not so sure about predicting things anymore.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

Based on previous Sambhar entrees that the Indian Navy does to her platforms, Project 75A is shaping up to be a very capable SSN.

Pump jet propulsion technology from France + Indian designed reactor, with inputs from Russian Akula + heaven only knows what else is coming, this is going to be one spicy Sambhar :)
drnayar
BRFite

Post by drnayar »

Reminded of Sandeep's article in India Today in 2017. The 83 MW sub reactor at Kalpakkam, things would have progressed quite a bit.

https://www.indiatoday.in/magazine/the- ... 2017-12-10

Manish_P
BRF Oldie

Post by Manish_P »

Rakesh wrote:An Astute Class boat of the Royal Navy, recently completed a 403 day patrol and returned home to the UK. That is more than a year long...
400 plus days in a tight enclosed space. 95 % or more time submerged. Feels more like being buried in a tomb than say put in a jail. Gives me the shivers just thinking about it.
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

Manish_P wrote:
Rakesh wrote:An Astute Class boat of the Royal Navy, recently completed a 403 day patrol and returned home to the UK. That is more than a year long...
400 plus days in a tight enclosed space. 95 % or more time submerged. Feels more like being buried in a tomb than say put in a jail. Gives me the shivers just thinking about it.
90 days or so. After that, they need to surface to get some food.
Manish_P
BRF Oldie

Post by Manish_P »

Yes... but even then it might not be like they will be on surface for long. Also not every crew member might be allowed up top every time they surface.

In any case i am claustrophobic. I can't even be inside an elevator for more than 3-4 minutes. 4-5 storeys i take the stairs. Would pay to tour IN ships, but there is no way they could pay me enough to climb down a hatch to get into a sub (if such a thing is ever allowed).
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

Manish_P wrote:Yes... but even then it might not be like they will be on surface for long. Also not every crew member might be allowed up top every time they surface.

In any case i am claustrophobic. I can't even be inside an elevator for more than 3-4 minutes. 4-5 storeys i take the stairs. Would pay to tour IN ships, but there is no way they could pay me enough to climb down a hatch to get into a sub (if such a thing is ever allowed).
:rotfl:

Understand. May I recommend you not visit this thread?

However, I think they also change crews along with getting food.

The boats need maintenance too.
pravula
BRFite

Post by pravula »

Most kids these days don’t even leave their room for weeks if there is a ps5 around. I wouldn’t be too concerned about it.
Manish_P
BRF Oldie

Post by Manish_P »

Haha Yes, sir :)

Have read about crew rotations (but thought that was only after the end of the patrol)

PS: you might find it extreme (and very funny) but even when watching Sub documentaries I kind of find myself glancing away involuntarily when they show the moment of the camera person or someone climbing down the entry hatch.
pravula
BRFite

Post by pravula »

No, but sub cadre are selected for these kind of isolation. It might even help with morale and cohesion.
Pratyush
BRF Oldie

Post by Pratyush »

Manish_P wrote:
Was it with a single crew. Or with gold and blue crews.

A crew rotation system means that the sub just docks in the fwd operations base. The relief crew is already waiting. Both crews conduct any minor repairs, if required. Resupply the boat and the second crew sails out. The first crew goes home.

This way, a 400 day deployment will have the sub out at sea for over 360 days.

As a matter of fact this is a concern I dehave WRT, the PLAN sub fleet that can be swapped out at Hambantota or Gwadar.

If PLAN gets better nuclear submarines. Indian Navy is in for very difficult times. If they don't get there act together.