Newbie Corner & Military Miscellaneous - Aug 2016

The Military Issues & History Forum is a venue to discuss issues relating to the military aspects of the Indian Armed Forces, whether the past, present or future. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
nachiket
Forum Moderator

Re: Newbie Corner & Military Miscellaneous - Aug 2016

Post by nachiket »

uvmnk wrote:Hello everyone, Glad to be here. Have been a lurker for a very long time. Hoping to learn from the gurus here
Hello and welcome to BRF. We require members to have Human sounding names. Please pick a human name for yourself and let us know. We will change your username accordingly.
Naresh_K
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Naresh_K »

nachiket wrote:
uvmnk wrote:Hello everyone, Glad to be here. Have been a lurker for a very long time. Hoping to learn from the gurus here
Hello and welcome to BRF. We require members to have Human sounding names. Please pick a human name for yourself and let us know. We will change your username accordingly.
Hello Nachiket. Thank you. Please change my name to Naresh.
nachiket
Forum Moderator

Post by nachiket »

Naresh_K wrote:
nachiket wrote: Hello and welcome to BRF. We require members to have Human sounding names. Please pick a human name for yourself and let us know. We will change your username accordingly.
Hello Nachiket. Thank you. Please change my name to Naresh.
That was already in use so I changed yours to Naresh_K. Please use the new username to log in.
Avinandan
BRFite

Conformal Hardpoints

Post by Avinandan »

Noob questions :
1) What is the average drag percentage benefit by using Conformal Hardpoints e.g. Eurofighter, KFX ? Is it worth it ?

2) What is the effort for designing and implementing the Conformal hardpoints for an existing production run aircrafts e.g. Rafale, LCA Mk1.

Any articles or reference would help.
Vicky
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Vicky »

Manish_Sharma wrote:Do liquid fuel missiles like scalp, jassm, brahmos have fuel tank filled in factory and ok for years or the tanks are filled and drained for each mission?
Yes but not for every mission, their fuel is filled at factory with a defined shelf life. They need to open up the tank to inspect, clean and rectify corrosion in the tank and replace the fuel every few years (varies with fuel type and missile). Most of these fuels are corrosive and some amount of corrosion still happens even on tanks made of the most exotic materials.

Even for solid fuel missiles, some maintenance is required every few years. Solid cores can develop cracks in the depths of the fuel core and can lead to unstable burn or unexpected behaviour if ignited. The cores are inspected for cracks using x-ray and other non-destructive methods every few years. The core liners, igniters, thrust chambers also need to be inspected and maintained. Smaller missiles are stored in hermetically sealed Nitrogen canisters at positive gauge pressure to prevent the likelihood of some of these issues.
VickyAvinash
BRFite -Trainee

Post by VickyAvinash »

Noob pooch.

How are the batteries charged in smart weapons? Are these kept charged all the time or only before launching?
konaseema
BRFite

Post by konaseema »

How do I upload an image that I have stored in my laptop? Is it possible? Thanks!!!
Bala Vignesh
BRF Oldie

Post by Bala Vignesh »

konaseema wrote:How do I upload an image that I have stored in my laptop? Is it possible? Thanks!!!
You'll first have to upload it to a image hosting site like imgur, Flickr, etc and then share the link to the image from there using th img tags.
konaseema
BRFite

Post by konaseema »

Bala Vignesh wrote:
konaseema wrote:How do I upload an image that I have stored in my laptop? Is it possible? Thanks!!!
You'll first have to upload it to a image hosting site like imgur, Flickr, etc and then share the link to the image from there using th img tags.
T

Thanks a lot!!!
rajsunder
BRFite

Post by rajsunder »

How is it that Boeing 737 AEW&CE-7 Wedgetail a 360 degree capable craft and our NETRA is not?
souravB
BRFite

Post by souravB »

rajsunder wrote:How is it that Boeing 737 AEW&CE-7 Wedgetail a 360 degree capable craft and our NETRA is not?
Design, Power requirement, time etc drive capability.
NETRA AAAU was designed for the EMB145 & to quickly churn out numbers the design have not been tinkered with.
Power requirement is also another factor since AAAU is an S-band radar & the tophat MESA is L-band.
But as IR said, CABS might be putting a front looking array to minimize the blindzone.
Pratyush
BRF Oldie

Post by Pratyush »

rajsunder wrote:How is it that Boeing 737 AEW&CE-7 Wedgetail a 360 degree capable craft and our NETRA is not?
Because the Wedgetail was designed as a 360 system. The Netra was not.
JyotiSRC
BRFite -Trainee

Post by JyotiSRC »

I am a newbie - layman at the best. I have one question (however silly it might for the experts) :

Why don't we build submarines with FRP / composite hulls? Such hulls would be lighter, stronger and can be more stealthy in terms of magnetic and sound tracking.
BenG
BRFite -Trainee

Post by BenG »

Hi Everybody!
I'm new to the forum. Being a lurker unbale to interact was killing me. Thank u @indranil for approving my registration. Since I started my Engineering I was interested in aircraft, I have followed all high volume indigenous and imported weapons programs for last 15 years and BRF has been a guilty pleasure of mine.
Following Tejas and AMCA programs is my favorite pass-time. Here is even a blog I wrote on Tejas 10 years back which sadly was almost accurate except for the happy conclusion I derived. https://benithisrael.blogspot.com/2010/ ... ed-to.html
Hoping to have pleasant interactions with everybody
VickyAvinash
BRFite -Trainee

Post by VickyAvinash »

Have not seen any post by Chetak sir lately. Hope he is doing well and it is just intentional lull.
Aldonkar
BRFite

Post by Aldonkar »

VickyAvinash wrote:Have not seen any post by Chetak sir lately. Hope he is doing well and it is just intentional lull.
I have been thinking the same. Chetak and I have often differed on several issues but I miss his acerbic comments.
nachiket
Forum Moderator

Post by nachiket »

Aldonkar wrote:
VickyAvinash wrote:Have not seen any post by Chetak sir lately. Hope he is doing well and it is just intentional lull.
I have been thinking the same. Chetak and I have often differed on several issues but I miss his acerbic comments.
There was a technical issue with his account. He should be back soon.
VickyAvinash
BRFite -Trainee

Post by VickyAvinash »

Thanks Nachiket
rajsunder
BRFite

Post by rajsunder »

Does anyone know how much aviation fuel is consumed at cruising height compared to a low level flight?
I need this as I have a hypothesis about Israeli attack on Iraqi nuke reactor during 1980's.

The official word is that the F-16's flew at about 50-100 feet to escape saudi radar. But it would not have been possible for them to fly at low level and still make it to Iraq from Israel without refueling over saudi air space.

My Hypothesis is that Saudi worked with Israel air force and even provided refueling for Israeli F-16's either on land or in air in Saudi air space.
Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya_V »

Exactly, it would not have been Saudi and GCC interests if Saddam could even have a dirty bomb which can be fired from Scuds, I doubt the French and under Saddam brutal regime would have made a working bomb. But adirty bomb with Scuds would have been enough for him to declare him the Caliph. So Saudis were probably in on the strike
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

rajsunder
BRFite

Post by rajsunder »

Can we build our own deep space network by having three Geo Stationary Satellites that host big dish spaced 120 degrees apart?