Newbie Corner & Military Miscellaneous - Aug 2016

The Military Issues & History Forum is a venue to discuss issues relating to the military aspects of the Indian Armed Forces, whether the past, present or future. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Amoghvarsha
BRFite

Newbie Corner & Military Miscellaneous - Aug 2016

Post by Amoghvarsha »

please continue here. old locked thread : viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4290&start=4120
=====================

Seems like this is the place for newbies.I have just joined after lurking for 11 years.
chilarai
BRFite

Re: Newbie Corner & Military Miscellaneous - Aug 2016

Post by chilarai »

very nice description of fighter lock on and how it looks like in the fire control radar display ( with images )

https://www.quora.com/How-does-a-fighte ... m-Morgan-5
asinh
BRFite -Trainee

Post by asinh »

Raha says Nehru did not allow the air force to hit back in East Pakistan in 1965. Took losses. Extremely shameful.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

asinh wrote:Raha says Nehru did not allow the air force to hit back in East Pakistan in 1965. Took losses. Extremely shameful.
Nehru was dead in 1965. Raha was speaking of non use of Air Force in 1962
deejay
Forum Moderator

Post by deejay »

Educative video on autopilot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkZGL7RQBVw
Auto-GCAS Saves Unconscious F-16 Pilot—Declassified USAF Footage
ranjan.rao
BRFite

Post by ranjan.rao »

sorry been trying to find what is "H&D" couldnt find ..can someone enlighten this lesser mortal
Khalsa
BRFite

Post by Khalsa »

Do we need another thread on the new Indian Single Engined Fighter ?
I really cannot understand where this comes in....

I cannot see it but a Tejas killer unless its handing us the magic formula of how to make Engines and Radar
Bhaskar_T
BRFite

Post by Bhaskar_T »

Yes, I think we need a new thread. Because current discussion on "Indian Single Engine Fighter Under MKI" is actually being discussed in LCA and IAF Discussion threads. Every now and then F-16, Gripen discussions are taking away the focus on LCA in the LCA thread.
Khalsa wrote:Do we need another thread on the new Indian Single Engined Fighter ?
I really cannot understand where this comes in....

I cannot see it but a Tejas killer unless its handing us the magic formula of how to make Engines and Radar
ranjan.rao
BRFite

Post by ranjan.rao »

^^Thanks GS, people seem to have put in their hearts and minds while making this!!, can this be some kind of sticky post in newbie forum?
BajKhedawal
BRFite

Post by BajKhedawal »

Which thread can I ask questions about legal ownership of self defense weapons allowed in India?

Thanks
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

interesting tidbit.

couple of days back I was flying from CCU to Del. in CCU the RAF red arrows were in attendance alongwith a C-130 with it's vertical stabilizer painted with a big union jack.

more interesting were two fighters at IGI, alongwith a C-17 with a yellow coloured tailfin in attendance. they were too far away to see unit markings or roundels. The fighters were either F-16's or EF's, I am not sure which. they had the open hanging mouth that is common to both types. because I only got to see a glimpse of their silhouette from the aircraft window, that too from quite some distance away I couldn't identify the type.
there might have been a foreplane but I might be mistaken about it.
anyone knows if any F-16's or EF's were in India in past week ?

for comparison

shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

BajKhedawal wrote:Which thread can I ask questions about legal ownership of self defense weapons allowed in India?

Thanks
http://mha.nic.in/sites/upload_files/mh ... on2016.pdf

Page 191 onwards gives you a list of prohibited and permissible arms

In practice you can own a revolver/pistol of up to 0.32 inch, 0.22 rifle, 0.30 as well IIRC and some shotguns

Air rifles less than 15 fpe power do not need a licence
JayS
Forum Moderator

Post by JayS »

Was seeing a Mig21 pic somewhere and I had a thought. Would it be feasible for us to convert retiring MiG21 to drones by fitting a bare minimum FCS on it?? We could use it for saturating Enemy AD e.g. Chinese S400. All we have to do it make them TO and fly on a cruise flight into enemy airspace and bring it back and land (in case they survive). Without a pilot or any weapons load we can load it up with a lot of fuel. Convert them and keep them in bone yard as war reserve.
BajKhedawal
BRFite

Post by BajKhedawal »

Thanks for the link and information, surprising that a "Steel Baton" is not allowed. I plan to do a ghar wapsi from Massa to Desh in 2018 and, am mulling on things to bring.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

BajKhedawal wrote:Thanks for the link and information, surprising that a "Steel Baton" is not allowed. I plan to do a ghar wapsi from Massa to Desh in 2018 and, am mulling on things to bring.
Frankly it is a pain to own a firearm in India for a law abiding citizen. I had a firearm licence and gave it up because I like shooting, not keeping a firearm in a safe. I can shoot at the local range but I hate shooting black and white target circles. I like shooting things ("plinking") - and I can do that in my own backyard shooting range with a bunch of air rifles.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

JayS wrote:Was seeing a Mig21 pic somewhere and I had a thought. Would it be feasible for us to convert retiring MiG21 to drones by fitting a bare minimum FCS on it?? We could use it for saturating Enemy AD e.g. Chinese S400. All we have to do it make them TO and fly on a cruise flight into enemy airspace and bring it back and land (in case they survive). Without a pilot or any weapons load we can load it up with a lot of fuel. Convert them and keep them in bone yard as war reserve.
have had the same thought and I believe landing it would be too difficult for an auto-pilot.
iraqis tried it long back which ended in failure. google tells me a rumour that the syrians are trying it with russi help.
one way suicide missions might be possible though.
JayS
Forum Moderator

Post by JayS »

Rahul M wrote:
JayS wrote:Was seeing a Mig21 pic somewhere and I had a thought. Would it be feasible for us to convert retiring MiG21 to drones by fitting a bare minimum FCS on it?? We could use it for saturating Enemy AD e.g. Chinese S400. All we have to do it make them TO and fly on a cruise flight into enemy airspace and bring it back and land (in case they survive). Without a pilot or any weapons load we can load it up with a lot of fuel. Convert them and keep them in bone yard as war reserve.
have had the same thought and I believe landing it would be too difficult for an auto-pilot.
iraqis tried it long back which ended in failure. google tells me a rumour that the syrians are trying it with russi help.
one way suicide missions might be possible though.
Though perhaps the most difficult part, don't think Landing will be that much difficult with current level of flight control technology, if we stay well within its limits. Sure, high cross winds and all will complicate things but we could chose not to design for all the things and make sure we either never use it in those situations or we accept losses in such situation or we build some alternate recovery system in contingency situation like a huge parachute. Sooner or later we are developing auto-landing for our UAV/UCAV etc. I think its worth a try. If it works it work.

I am not very keen on harakiri jets as it might be too expensive. But as a decoy its worth it, this is a M2.0 jet and would be a good challenge for any AD system. Fully stripped down and loaded with lot of fuel, it will have decent range too.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Why land a drone that is intended for self destruction? One take off is enough no? Call it MiG-Atta in memory of Mahomet Atta
Baikul
BRFite

Post by Baikul »

^^ :lol:

Could also call it MIG-Roti, because the Atta's all inside.
ranjan.rao
BRFite

Post by ranjan.rao »

Probably this question is more suited here than the other forum

"In a scenario when IAF sweet 16 faces mard-e-momin 16 afridi pathan, will they identify using IFF and visual identification or are there other means?"

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7261&start=360
JayS
Forum Moderator

Post by JayS »

I suppose the IFF is programmable system and every country would have different encrypted codes for the identification of friendly aircrafts. So we should be able to use IFF without issue.
JayS
Forum Moderator

Post by JayS »

shiv wrote:Why land a drone that is intended for self destruction? One take off is enough no? Call it MiG-Atta in memory of Mahomet Atta
I don't want them to be harakiri jets. The expense on doing the convergence of the aircraft for one way mission may not be worth it, IMO. When we send them to saturate enemy AD, it doesn't mean they will not survive, a many of them could return without harm after dodging missiles. Once locked on and fired missile upon, they can simply go full throttle and run away, since wasting a missile or two would be their main aim. We might be able to turn them into decoys trying to mimic Su-30MKI or something.

In fact if we could do this for Mig21 in a good enough manner, we could do the same thing with other of our retiring fleet and we can have a sizeable fleet of decoys to confuse the enemy AD. Some things from UCAV project can be leveraged here, some things from this project could be ported back to UCAV project.
ranjan.rao
BRFite

Post by ranjan.rao »

Hi Mods!
Can I start a thread for tracking Indian Military exercises? I see multiple threads for individual exercises (both internal and external) but they tend to die after few posts.
Paging Indranil and ramana sir. Was thinking of a combined one for IA, IAF, and IN, but let me know if you prefer separate threads
ranjan.rao
BRFite

Post by ranjan.rao »

:( :cry: adminullahs ignoring the aam abdul
arshyam
BRF Oldie

Post by arshyam »

There is a thread for it already..

Found on page 2 of the mil forum: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7096
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

ranjan.rao wrote::( :cry: adminullahs ignoring the aam abdul
Arre yaar - you want Admin God to come and do insemination for immaculate conception of new thread? We are like fish and simply spawn threads out into the enbironment. If Admin God allows it - fine. If not, allahoakbar.

Search 8 forum pages. If thread not exist create thread
PratikDas
BRFite

Post by PratikDas »

I would like to thank the moderator of the LCA thread - Indranil - for moulding it into the most consistently rewarding thread to visit. Public milestones related to the Tejas are few and far between. It is the quality of discussion that the moderator sustains in between those milestones by heavily contributing to and also by getting others to contribute that keeps the visiting jingo jingoistic and the visiting geek geeky. There's always something to learn. Many thanks.
AdityaM
BRF Oldie

Post by AdityaM »

I have a few pics from the Houston Airshow 2012, which may be to the liking of people. Which thread can I post them to?

Apache close up, v22 Osprey cockpit, insides of C130J, Humvees odd dashboard etc
Shameek
BRFite

Post by Shameek »

Jet Airways Boeing 777 flight to London being intercepted by Luftwaffe Eurofighters after failing to respond on appropriate ATC frequencies.

https://www.facebook.com/CirrusPilot/vi ... f=NEWSFEED
gugul
BRFite -Trainee

Post by gugul »

Hi all
First time posting on BRF. Been a lurker for more than 7-8 years. Created account only after the site crash.

Question : Can anyone tell me what are these panels on the front end of IAF Boeing 707...

https://c1.staticflickr.com/2/1566/2459 ... e12e_b.jpg
http://photovide.com/wp-content/uploads ... es/36b.jpg
jamwal
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by jamwal »

jamwal
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by jamwal »

gugul wrote:Hi all
First time posting on BRF. Been a lurker for more than 7-8 years. Created account only after the site crash.

Question : Can anyone tell me what are these panels on the front end of IAF Boeing 707...

ELINT perhaps
gugul
BRFite -Trainee

Post by gugul »

jamwal wrote:
gugul wrote:Hi all

ELINT perhaps
Thanks Jamwal ji
GopiD
BRFite

Post by GopiD »

I asked the below question in the missiles thread, but seems like the gurus are busy. Can someone answer this form me please? Thanks in advance.
I have a noob question. With all the long-range missiles we test and that falls into the sea, do we recover them for study and/or not letting other prying eyes have a look at our tech? If not, what is stopping other countries like China/pak to retrieve one of our missiles after we have cleared the testing area in sea. If they are monitoring the missiles tests with their offshore and onshore radars, they should have a decent idea of where the missile has fallen. Is this a valid question?
BajKhedawal
BRFite

Post by BajKhedawal »

Is there a current thread with "Return to India" information/discussion?
Bala Vignesh
BRF Oldie

Post by Bala Vignesh »

GopiD wrote:I asked the below question in the missiles thread, but seems like the gurus are busy. Can someone answer this form me please? Thanks in advance.
I have a noob question. With all the long-range missiles we test and that falls into the sea, do we recover them for study and/or not letting other prying eyes have a look at our tech? If not, what is stopping other countries like China/pak to retrieve one of our missiles after we have cleared the testing area in sea. If they are monitoring the missiles tests with their offshore and onshore radars, they should have a decent idea of where the missile has fallen. Is this a valid question?
The usual MO for such tests is that you have a Navy ship in the vicinity, out of the calculated impact site with CEP and it would recover the parts once the test is done.
GopiD
BRFite

Post by GopiD »

Bala Vignesh wrote:
GopiD wrote:I asked the below question in the missiles thread, but seems like the gurus are busy. Can someone answer this form me please? Thanks in advance.
The usual MO for such tests is that you have a Navy ship in the vicinity, out of the calculated impact site with CEP and it would recover the parts once the test is done.

Thanks Bala. Does this mean that the missile is it designed not to sink or would they fish it from underwater?
Bala Vignesh
BRF Oldie

Post by Bala Vignesh »

GopiD, I am not sure on the specifics there, sorry.
Bala Vignesh
BRF Oldie

Post by Bala Vignesh »

Akshay Kapoor sir, Deejay sir and others in the know,
Can you explain the procedure and process by which a directorate is created in the forces??