Newbie Corner & Military Miscellaneous - Aug 2016

The Military Issues & History Forum is a venue to discuss issues relating to the military aspects of the Indian Armed Forces, whether the past, present or future. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
B Upadhyay
BRFite -Trainee

Re: Newbie Corner & Military Miscellaneous - Aug 2016

Post by B Upadhyay »

I have thought of the following worst case, dhoti shivering, lungi shivering extreme scenario...would be unlikely hence not posting in the 2.5 scenario thread...if mods feel it worthy, I can post there.

SCENARIO:

1) UPA govt in power ...In US, Hilary type govt in power, in BD, BNP in power
2) flase flag anti dalit and anti muslim ops to demonify nationalist forces who are now under pressure
3) China increases friendship with UPA govt with investment proposals
4) Peaceful resolution on Kashmir issue on terms favourable to India brokered by China by bringing pak into line (but is actually part of larger plan)
5) Meanwhile, China gifts mt Kailash to India in return for Tawang which UPA agrees to and permanent settlement of border. Hindu credentials of UPA burnished, compared to NDA forces.
6) Tripartite no war pact between India, Pak,China
7) Nuclear accident in India in army base, resulting in loss of many lives
8 ) Demands from civil society for roll back of nuclear programme especially since now India,Pak, China have no war pact
9) Various social media forces galvanised for this effort, coke with aman ki asha type ads, an overall crescendo is reached with a public responsive due to nuclear accident
10) Chinese moles in various parties voice support for this
11) With Nationalist forces on backfoot, they find it difficult to galvanise counter opinion
12) Pak says agreeable to this, and US also supports this move of denuclearising subcontinent
13) India security establishment tries to resist, but efforts are blunted by political establishment and media
14) Denuclearisation pact is reached between India and Pak, hailed by all world leaders and nobel prize
15) Denuclearisation completed in 5 years (?), Defence budget in the meanwhile neglected, arms purchases in limbo, DRDO not supported
16) In the meanwhile, in BD, purge of Awami league supporters in army and bureaucracy, replaced by BNP/jamaat hardliners with anti India stance with Chinese support
17) UPA reelected on peace plank or NDA returns to power
18) Meanwhile in Pak, large scale violence perpetrated by Islamists due to some provocation by some Chinese people
19) Chinese investments under threat, China uses KKH to pour troops and armour into Pak in coordination with Pak army (and also secretly with islamists)..or some other excuse like humanitarian crisis to pour troops into Pak
20) Large buildup of PLA troops in Pak, India monitors situation
21) More false flag/agent provocateur attacks against Christians apparently by Hindu groups, USA demands explanations and increases pressure. Played up in US as Hindus attacking Christians, and demands for action/ negative sentiment about India in US
22) PLA buildup in Tibet for exercises even though no war pact with India
23) In Pak, Radical Islamists come to power and demand Ghazwa-e-Hind
24) China reveals true plan, and supports the demand, with troops already present there to protect Chinese investments, PLAAF also stations its air force there in substantial numbers to get over having to attack from Tibet with less weapons load
25) In India, internal sleeper cells activated to foment trouble between muslims-Hindus, Dalits, south vs north Indians etc
26) India now faces true 2.5 front war
27) US not sympathetic due to anti India sentiment prevailing there
28) Russia realises gravity of situation of loosing India as a counterweight to China but unable to help much due to Chinese pressure
29) US plans delayed assistance, so that they can get foothold in South India
30) Invasion launched from two ends- Joint China-Pak-Islamist terror forces from western border, Chinese from Northern and Arunachal border and BD causing trouble in eastern border along Chickens neck
31) Indian Armed forces fight valiantly but combined manpower of enemy is too much
32) US sends troops to help in South India and secures south of Vindhyas from Chinese and resulting area becomes under US support with full FDI, allowance for cultural activities etc
33) In North India, ordinary people resist, but with limited weapons and prior training find it difficult against tanzeems who now have Indian muslim support
34) Large scale atrocities on Hindus, but world unsympathetic

Benefits for China:
1) Obvious in removing India as a competitor and gaining control over it
2) Reconstruction projects in India -pak and huge market for their goos...they can stymie any local manufacturing now.
3) Continuous link from eastern China via north east to sea or further through North India to the middle east and beyond

How to prevent this:
1) Ensure nationalist govt for next 20 years at least with strong improvements in defences
2) Cut of KKH and capture POK...benefits/risk mitigation outweigh the costs
3) Plan for disintegration of Pak on war footing so that it cannot be used as base for future attacks
4) Most important- secure the internal front...weed out anti national elements from all branches of govt to ensure no sabotage in future even without NDA govt
5) Be prepared to tackle false flag/agent provocateur actions against Hindu nationalist movement...identify such networks, strict action against any perpetrators of violence, information inoculation about such possible attacks
6) Be on guard against possible accidents in nuclear facilities, and prepared with plan to manage public opinion in case event happens, to ensure roll back forces do not gain any upper hand...media management plans, SM management plans. Increase number of nuclear bombs to make roll back difficult. Further fortify the nuclear establishments with negative political interference made impossible in any eventuality.
7) Settling border issue with pak not in our favour, even if solution is favourable to us in Kashmir...with Pak on back foot, we should maximise our advantages by having a causus belli for invading them. Hence, even their terror activities help in this regard in a perverse sort of way..as Shiv keeps on saying-more islam is the solution
8 ) Make counter efforts to present true picture of Hindus in foreign countries as a non violent, pluralistic and accepting people to counter false propaganda by anti Hindu forces
9) Keep weather eye on neighbours and ensure that pro India forces have upper hand.
10) Basically the threat comes from a compromised political system, nationalist forces and security forces on back foot unable to galvanise a counter public opinion...so perhaps a alternate mechanism is required for this as a back up plan
11) Cannot depend on foreign powers to help us- crucial for defence indiginisation to succeed
12) US/China will never be friends with India as its rise not in their long term interests...so look for any indications of G2 type of secret pact and any good cop/bad cop routines
13) Key is removing Pak as a base from which invasions can be launched from the military perspective
14) From the hybrid warfare perspective-greater conciousness increase among Hindus about ploys to create divisions and activate faultlines, local organised efforts to counter civil society/NGO anti india activities, ensuring non violent means...much more needs to be thought on how to counter this hybrid warfare which is being unleashed on India and will only increase in magnitude.
B Upadhyay
BRFite -Trainee

Post by B Upadhyay »

For some reason smiley came where loss of lives...not at all intended, kindly edit
ArjunPandit
BRF Oldie

Post by ArjunPandit »

ramana wrote:RD Remember its decade long scenario.
Ramana sir, didn't know where else to post, as 2.5 front thread is for far serious discussions. Minor suggestions,
1. Could you please state the problem scope in your starting note too. The problem statement is there, characterization is there, but the scope is not. Unless of course, you dont want to limit the scope.
2. Also, you may want to take it in a phased manner.
3. I see it as very focussed right now, so better state that upfront.
Also, should we have a a scratchpad kind of thread, where OT posts can be made by quoting, and which gets cleaned up afterwards ? That ways there may be lesser thread derailing.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Using the new Rustom II 185 hp engine try to update either of these two planes:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cessna_172

or

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piper_PA-28_Cherokee

Remember cost is biggest driver.

JayS would you mentor?
Bala Vignesh
BRF Oldie

Post by Bala Vignesh »

Akshay Kapoor wrote:Below is the correct format. Decoration comes right after the name with the highest decoration first

Maj Sandeep Unnikrishnan, Ashok Chakra (Posthumous), 7 Bihar/ 51 Special Action Group

You could also write 7th Bn The Bihar Regiment for ease of understanding but the first is shorter and crisper I think
Akshay sir,
Out of curiosity, does one need to mention the deputed units too?? Wouldn't the parent battalion and regiment do??
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

Jay, been saying the same for aeons- retd MIG-21s.Use them as drones or even Kamikaze birds. E ery old bird has somd intrinsic value.We appear to have failed though converting old naval Chetak helos into UAVs.
Bala Vignesh
BRF Oldie

Post by Bala Vignesh »

Kartik wrote:Posted on Keypubs forum

Wasn't sure whether the following question was qualified for the Tejas thread or not hence posting it here.

The first image in the above post shows a very assymetric load out of the aircraft. Was wondering if this load out was practically feasible for operations??
Mukesh.Kumar
BRFite

Post by Mukesh.Kumar »

NPTEL is running a series of courses on Aerospace. Good point to start for newbies wishing to get their feet wet.

Code: Select all

Course id	Course Name	SME Name	Institute	Duration	Course Start date	Course end date	Exam date	Type of Course
noc18_ae04	Fundamentals of Combustion (Part 2)	Prof. D.P. Mishra	IITK	8 weeks	6-Aug	28-Sep	7-Oct	New
noc18_ae05	Engineering Thermodynamics	Prof. D.P. Mishra	IITK	12 Weeks	30-Jul	19-Oct	28-Oct	Rerun
noc18_ae06	Aircraft Stability and Control	Prof. A.K. Ghosh	IITK	12 Weeks	30-Jul	19-Oct	28-Oct	Rerun
noc18_ae07	Design of fixed wing Unmanned Aerial Vehicles	Prof. Subrahmanyam Saderla	IITK	8 weeks	27-Aug	19-Oct	28-Oct	New
JayS
Forum Moderator

Post by JayS »

Bala Vignesh wrote:
Wasn't sure whether the following question was qualified for the Tejas thread or not hence posting it here.

The first image in the above post shows a very assymetric load out of the aircraft. Was wondering if this load out was practically feasible for operations??
Its not all that extreme. I am sure, LCA can handle much more that this.
Prasad
BRF Oldie

Post by Prasad »

Asymmetric load was one of the initial milestones we celebrated :)
jaysimha
BRFite

Post by jaysimha »

http://pib.nic.in/PressReleaseIframePag ... ID=1529752

Ministry of Earth Science
Severe Weather Warning
Posted On: 20 APR 2018 4:41PM by PIB Delhi

20 April (Day 1): ♦ Thunderstorm accompanied with squall and hail very likely at isolated places over Jammu & Kashmir, Himachal Pradesh and Uttarakhand.

21 April (Day 2): ♦ Thunderstorm accompanied with squall and hail very likely at isolated places over Sub ­Himalayan West Bengal & Sikkim.

22 April (Day 3) : ♦ Thunderstorm accompanied with squall and hail very likely at isolated places over Sub ­Himalayan West Bengal & Sikkim.

24 April (Day 5): ♦ Thunderstorm accompanied with gusty winds likely at isolated places over Telangana.

dint know where to post this.. searched for the weather dhaaga,, could not get
Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

How to become a Pilot in IAF | By Air Marshal (Rtd.) A.K. Singh

ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Link to back issues of Bharat Rakshak Monitor from 1999 to 2004.

http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/archives/ ... ssues.html

please add/archives/ right after b-r.com to get to the articles themselves.

Sorry for the inconvenience

Took me a while to figure this one out.
VickyAvinash
BRFite -Trainee

Post by VickyAvinash »

Hi, I have newbie pooch. We have manufactured 2 nuclear submarines and reportedly 4 are in pipeline. Then why is that we are not able to make conventional submarines?
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

1. lack of planning, it's not that we cant, more like we just won't
2. ironically, we have more experience with nuke power than with cutting edge SSK tech like AIP.
VickyAvinash
BRFite -Trainee

Post by VickyAvinash »

Thanks Rahul
habal
BRF Oldie

Post by habal »

regarding this thread :
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7655
thread opener used a controversial name UFO in thread title, which caused thread to be closed. This term in western media has been thoroughly discredited and ridiculed as part of a propaganda operation to discredit any whistle blowers or eyewitnesses. Using that name means we inadvertently climbed on that much abused bandwagon and thus we share same ridicule that the proponents of UFO theory have been exposed to.

Kindly desist from using discredited western memes for exploring new topics that have a established discredited track record in west.

Regarding UFO, it is a fact, but it will never be acknkwledged. Talking about it in public, has issues at multiple levels. At certain levels the human psyche is shaken and at other specific levels we come become objects of ridicule and at other levels we will be arrayed against certain agencies. None of these alternatives are exactly what can be called as desirable and thus a frank discussion of same never takes place.
dhyana
BRFite -Trainee

Post by dhyana »

Like Washington and Moscow, Delhi too to get missile shield

Could this be a result of the recent Syrian AD failures? Reports/videos of Pantsir-S1 system being unable to shoot down any incoming cruise missiles may have tilted the narrative towards more 'integrated' Western AD systems. And presumably NSAMS has some added capability not present with the Spyder or QR-SAM programs?
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

IF we get the NSAMS AND the S400, (that's a big if) imho it would primarily be a way for DRDO to have a look at 2 current generation AD systems in order to figure out our own way ahead.
Prasad
BRF Oldie

Post by Prasad »

At the cost of Billions of $$? I don't think so. This sounds more like a cbm to the americans.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Vicky, Priorities. Even AIP will happen.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Folks I am thinking of a thread for posting cutaway sketches of military hardware like aircraft, ships etc. Our folks are not familiar with the innards of such hardware. We have sporadic posts in many threads but no consolidation.
I would put a tag like #Aircraft, #Submarne etc in.the post for easy searching.

Any volunteers?
souravB
BRFite

Post by souravB »

^^ I was doodling a 3d model of possible hypothetical AHCA based on F-22. I can post the amateurish effort. :D
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

ramana wrote:Folks I am thinking of a thread for posting cutaway sketches of military hardware like aircraft, ships etc. Our folks are not familiar with the innards of such hardware. We have sporadic posts in many threads but no consolidation.
I would put a tag like #Aircraft, #Submarne etc in.the post for easy searching.

Any volunteers?

Eg. Flight Global has 112 planes cut away diagrams to understand aircraft innards.

https://www.flightglobalimages.com/cuta ... n-cutaways

Many more in Pinterest.
Avtar Singh
BRFite

Post by Avtar Singh »

System assigned status is not always reliable.
Early adopter of the internet…..
I was in fact one of the first on this website, I was here when it was barely more than a few pages….
There is a story behind this but too laborious for this post.
I was at the first ever BR meet at a restaurant in London, ask the founder he was there and arranged it. I was at the 2nd ever BR meet, again arranged by the founder, it was at Farnborough Air Show.

I was here in the days of; spinster? Gurudronacharya? Naryanan?
“give peace a chance…..” OR WAS IT “…… give peace a chance”
And a poster whose name I forgot but he wrote a lot on historical/cultural matters???? It became a separate site??? Very interesting.

Anyway….. my equivalents who committed are of air rank.
Whilst my style might give the impression of a teenager in a basement I do know my stuff especially when it comes to aviation/flying aeroplanes and some other things.
Nevertheless I shall confine myself to newbie until I have learnt something!!
Khalsa
BRFite

Re: Tejas Mk.1 & Mk.1A News & Discussions: 09 February 2018

Post by Khalsa »

Leading and slightly off topic from the good Admiral's post above.
Do folks from BR take part in Saurav Jha's Indigenisation Appreciation Hour ?
Last edited by JayS on 10 Oct 2018 12:10, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Post moved from LCA thread. Please discuss here.
kann
BRFite -Trainee

Post by kann »

Hello All; appreciate you folks letting me join. Been a long-time lurker. I do have a query for any resident tank experts we might have regarding T-90's in service with the Indian Army. During a documentary; IA was demonstrating deep river crossings on the T-90. They pointed out how Indian Army uses "sealing putty" in panel gaps, weld joints and along the circumference of the hatch. Is this a standard practice on modern MBT's (like Merkava; Leopard 2 A7 ; Abrams)? If they need putty to keep water out ; do they need putty also to keep out Sarin or Phosgene? How is this tank NBC Capable if it is not even watertight ? Is this a case of poor workmaship and unique to the T-90's in Indian Army service or common for all T-90's? And finally ; am I reading too much into this and missing something ? Thanks in advance folks
Manish_P
BRF Oldie

Post by Manish_P »

For tsarkar and any other navy/sub gurus

Sir, one more question with regards to Sub ops, rather a request. The below video is from a channel of an ex-USN guy (who is now a consultant for some Sub Sim games). With your Navy background, would you say that the guy is on point with his explanations, or are they limited to game level. I do understand that he might not be revealing operational SOPs/details etc

Whiteboard: How to use Layer Depth

Whiteboard: Air Drop Torpedoes
ArjunPandit
BRF Oldie

Post by ArjunPandit »

I have been hearing "base bleed" on artillery threads for quite sometime, esp by ramana guru. Didnt know that a little google search showed this thing. Found the following links useful
1. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Base_bleed
2. This one I found really good
https://www.globalsecurity.org/military ... -bleed.htm
Quoting some relevant text from the page
Increased range is achieved either by gun improvements, which even include such modifications to propellant charges that a redesign of gun parts is required due to for example increased gas pressure in the barrel, or by improvements in the projectile performance. The turnover time for gun parts in the meantime is long, and therefore it is more attractive to attempt to improve the performance of the projectile itself without altering the gun as the ammunition has a continual turnover time of a totally different character to that of the gun.

At present work is proceeding along three different lines, of which the
first involves attempting to produce a low-resistance projectile where the air resistance is reduced to a minimum. This work has resulted in longer and slimmer projectiles.
The second line involves equipping special projectiles with their own source of power in the form of a built-in rocket motor, so-called "reatiles" or Rocket Assisted Projectile (RAP).

With regard to the third line, the work has been concentrated around reducing the base resistance of the projectile, caused by the stream of air round the projectile generating a lower pressure immediately behind the projectile base than in the surrounding air.
A conventional bullet in flight forms a partial vacuum immediately therebehind. This partial vacuum or low pressure area creates a force which acts on the projectile in a direction opposite its motion thereby lessening the flight velocity of the projectile. This force is commonly referred to as "base drag".

Drag may be defined as that force acting on the projectile in a direction opposite its motion. Base drag is that drag acting on the projectile at its base, and this invention concerns itself primarily with base drag and the reduction thereof.
An artillery projectile in flight forms a low pressure area immediately behind the projectile which creates a force (commonly called "base drag") which lessens the velocity of the projectile. This method is a completely different approach to the problem, since no rocket assisting effect is achieved.
JayS
Forum Moderator

Post by JayS »

Thats Fluid Mechanics 101. Same principle used to reduce drag in cars as well - by reducing separated region (of low pressure) behind the vehicle. This is the reason why aircrafts have tails. But hawitzer projectiles cant have conical tapering tail section as they need flat base to have force application by pressure by burnt charge gases. If you could have a part of its back end fall down once its out of the barrel ( much like how sabots separate from APFSDS rounds) to expose a tail like end - a more aerodynamic shape overall - that could do the trick too to reduce base drag.
ArjunPandit
BRF Oldie

Post by ArjunPandit »

^^^thanks jay sir. Didn't study fluid mech and didn't know that. That's the beauty of brf(for me)
ArjunPandit
BRF Oldie

Post by ArjunPandit »

Indranil wrote:Kartik, on LCA, the ALSR system kicks in automatically. Also note the speed: Just 100 knots! They started with 120 knots, and realized that they could go much further down. 100 Knots is the realm of a very select few.
Sir, why's low speed more challenging than higher speeds
JayS
Forum Moderator

Post by JayS »

ArjunPandit wrote:
Indranil wrote:Kartik, on LCA, the ALSR system kicks in automatically. Also note the speed: Just 100 knots! They started with 120 knots, and realized that they could go much further down. 100 Knots is the realm of a very select few.
Sir, why's low speed more challenging than higher speeds
Think of controlling a bicycle at real slow speed.

An aircraft becomes 'Flying Brick' at low speeds such as this and a thin line separates it from becoming a 'Falling Brick'.
ArjunPandit
BRF Oldie

Post by ArjunPandit »

>¢^thanks
Shrinivasan
BRF Oldie

Post by Shrinivasan »

Where is Detterence thread please?
archan
Forum Moderator

Post by archan »

In strat forum.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5219
Shameek
BRFite

Post by Shameek »

Was reading about VBIEDs for obvious reasons and came across this one from N Syria. Shows how difficult it is to counter these even with an open field of view and freedom to engage. If they are armored it makes it even harder.

Nikhil T
BRFite

Post by Nikhil T »

Not sure where else to post this, but I was disappointed that the BJP didn't invite key political figures from other parties to attend the opening of the National War Memorial. We have several living defence ministers, many of whom have sent men and women in harm's way, surely those could be invited. He deserves all the credit, of course, for building the Memorial, but it should've been a bi-partisan event such as the GST midnight event @ the Parliament.

Second, Modi used the speech after the inauguration for full electioneering. That was also just avoidable on a sombre occasion like today.
prat.patel
BRFite -Trainee

Post by prat.patel »

What does UBCN stand for?