Indian Space Program: News & Discussion - Sept 2016

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
Kakarat
BRF Oldie

Re: Indian Space Programme Discussion - Sept 2016

Post by Kakarat »

'Match made in heaven,' says Netanyahu as India-Israel sign 7 pacts
Besides this, the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) and the Israel Space Agency (ISA) will work together in the development of Atomic Clocks, GEO-LEO optical link, and in Electric Propulsion for small satellites.
Gagan
BRF Oldie

Post by Gagan »

Sridhar wrote:Where is Mullah Enqyoob btw? Really miss his knowledge and humor on the forum.
He shifted base to some weird place with very poor internet connection, Mozambique, Mongolia, Madagascar, I forget which
akashganga
BRFite

Post by akashganga »

sivab wrote:
akashganga wrote:Watched live webcast of spaceX launch using refurbished 1st stage which is again retrieved. In front of our eyes spaceX has done which no one else dared to do. By repeatedly reusing first stage they will be much cheaper than even ISRO in the long run. Nobody in india is even talking of reusing. At this rate spaceX will beat the hell out of all other competition including India, Russia, china. They are even researching reuse of second stage.
:lol: Ignorance is bliss :rotfl: Why let the facts get in the way, continue pissing on India.
I am not saying anything against India or ISRO. I do not post much here. I am IT professional and am not rocket expert. I just follow up on space activities in India and US. I believe that spaceX has done the impossible by reusing the first stage and they may be able to reuse their second stage of their two stage vehicle as well in few years time. When that happens their costs will come down drastically as they have to just refurbish used stages and cost of fuel. Isro must be prepared for that. That is all I am trying to say.
Gagan
BRF Oldie

Post by Gagan »

GSAT-7
What is that orange coloured tubular structure on top?
Long helix antenna or a large swath imaging camera?
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

>> believe that spaceX has done the impossible by reusing the first stage

er thiokol was reusing the shuttle solid boosters since 1982 columbia. baki the shuttle anyway came back. only the main fuel tank was let loose to burn on deorbit.

however i do agree reusing the costly liquid fuel engines of 1st stage by landing on that barge does have some value add in cost savings.
negi
BRF Oldie

Post by negi »

Cost is the last variable west can bring to the table when countering ISRO I am sure our mission costs are lower even without recovery of boosters , not saying that we should not do that however I will let the prodigal son have some breathing space it is the other PSUs in MILtech that need to pull up the socks.
SSSalvi
BRFite

Post by SSSalvi »

Gagan wrote:GSAT-7

Surely not an Optical Instrument.

A line in the image mentions UHF band communication capability.

Could be a Helical antenna. ( BUT, Such a large size defies logic )

There a big 'chuppi' about this mission.
abhik
BRF Oldie

Post by abhik »

negi wrote:...however I will let the prodigal son have some breathing space it is the other PSUs in MILtech that need to pull up the socks.
Please refer vina saars lectures on week-ass Vikas and other diatribes. ISRO's rockets are by no means as TFTA as the current gen american/french/etc space launchers. We are 1-2 gens behind in most areas and have 0 capabilities in some areas. But we have PSLV/GSLV today because we continued to invest in our own rockets for decades in spite of them not matching up to the best in the world. If ISRO's "customers" were anything like the DPSU/Labs then the only operational rockets we would have would be the ones made in Sivakasi.
Last edited by SSridhar on 11 Jul 2017 17:27, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Please do not use such morphings as weak-ass etc.
negi
BRF Oldie

Post by negi »

^ Sorry I did not understand what is that you are hinting at.
Gagan
BRF Oldie

Post by Gagan »

SSSalvi wrote:
Gagan wrote:GSAT-7

Surely not an Optical Instrument.

A line in the image mentions UHF band communication capability.

Could be a Helical antenna. ( BUT, Such a large size defies logic)
This one sat handled all the comms for Torpex exercises in Jan this year, 60-80 navy ships, stretched from the Arabian sea to north Indian ocean, and with high bandwidth data. Very slick Nausena data including videos.
The Airforce should get its own GSAT-7A later this year, launched by Ariane
arshyam
BRF Oldie

Post by arshyam »

akashganga wrote: I am not saying anything against India or ISRO. I do not post much here. I am IT professional and am not rocket expert. I just follow up on space activities in India and US. I believe that spaceX has done the impossible by reusing the first stage and they may be able to reuse their second stage of their two stage vehicle as well in few years time. When that happens their costs will come down drastically as they have to just refurbish used stages and cost of fuel. Isro must be prepared for that. That is all I am trying to say.
Are you sure? You seemed to be pretty confident in saying:
Nobody in india is even talking of reusing.
For someone who claims to follow India's space program, you don't show any knowledge of the RLV project, and very easily pass judgement. A little discretion, perhaps?
akashganga
BRFite

Post by akashganga »

arshyam wrote:
akashganga wrote: I am not saying anything against India or ISRO. I do not post much here. I am IT professional and am not rocket expert. I just follow up on space activities in India and US. I believe that spaceX has done the impossible by reusing the first stage and they may be able to reuse their second stage of their two stage vehicle as well in few years time. When that happens their costs will come down drastically as they have to just refurbish used stages and cost of fuel. Isro must be prepared for that. That is all I am trying to say.
Are you sure? You seemed to be pretty confident in saying:
Nobody in india is even talking of reusing.
For someone who claims to follow India's space program, you don't show any knowledge of the RLV project, and very easily pass judgement. A little discretion, perhaps?
Well I am not saying anything against ISRO. In fact I have been branded as hindu fanatic outside (not in this forum as i do not post much). I want ISRO to succeed and be in forefront. In my opinion RLV is at least a decade away. SpaceX is already reusing its first stage and has started having bigger profit margins and so they can bring down their cost quite a bit even now. See how many launches they have made already this year alone. As their reusability matures their cost will keep going down. This is where I fear gslv mk3 launch cost may be more than falcon 9. If spaceX succeeds more and more with reusability and if they are able to reuse their second stage also then in the next 15 years they will be unbeatable in pricing. I am not a rocket expert. My 2 cents.
Ashokk
BRFite

Post by Ashokk »

SSSalvi wrote:
Gagan wrote: Could be a Helical antenna. ( BUT, Such a large size defies logic )
Its a UHF helical antenna, the large size is probably to support small antennas on the terminals (handheld/portable). BEL has a handheld satcom messaging terminal on its product line.
disha
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by disha »

akashganga wrote:I believe that spaceX has done the impossible by reusing the first stage and they may be able to reuse their second stage of their two stage vehicle as well in few years time. When that happens their costs will come down drastically as they have to just refurbish used stages and cost of fuel. Isro must be prepared for that. That is all I am trying to say.
That is the problem sir., believe in one and make a wild guess for another. When countered please do not bring out your spread sheet. :)

Stage re-use is not a new thing. Space Shuttle re-used all its engines and stages. It discarded the tank and the shuttle glided back for reuse of the engine. The solid stages were refurbished for the next launch.

But if one has already put their faith in the awesomeness of elon., there is no further scope of objective discussion. That is okay., but then extrapolating to ISRO must do this or that and sky will fall and how so others are awesome is unnecessary.
Last edited by disha on 06 Jul 2017 23:36, edited 1 time in total.
disha
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by disha »

abhik wrote:Please refer vina saars lectures on week-ass and other diatribes. ISRO's rockets are by no means as TFTA as the current gen american/french/etc space launchers. We are 1-2 gens behind in most areas and have 0 capabilities in some areas.
^^Myth. And I still see the stupid meme continues. Based on a stupid diatribe.

ISRO's solid boosters are one of the largest in the world and very proven. Put it this way., if there is >10% thrust differential in the solid stage boosters of Mk III., the entire >400 tonne assembly will do a cart-wheel. That is how precise they are cast and at the same time producing very large thrust.

Other than US and ESA., nobody has that tech*. So in the annals of TFTA'ness., they pretty TFTA.

Oh' the cryo stage of MkIII which put the GSLV in orbit produces the largest thrust among upper stages in current active launch vehicles. This is again as TFTA as it gets*.

*Waiting for goalpost to be shifted to a different tech on TFTA diatribe!
disha
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by disha »

akashganga wrote: If spaceX succeeds more and more with reusability and if they are able to reuse their second stage also then in the next 15 years they will be unbeatable in pricing. I am not a rocket expert. My 2 cents.
Well let me state that you are so unaware!

If you are worried about SpaceX beating pants of GSLV MkIII., do not worry. Currently Antrix is not able to sell space launch slots - not because of cost - but there is no spare capacity.

Even if ISRO launches 8-9 PSLV, 2 GSLV Mk II and 1 GSLV Mk III a year., all its capacity will be booked for the next 2-3 years. That is some @25-30 tonnes of launch capacity*

*Of course., why not launch a single TFTA rocket once a year with 30 tonnes? Well what happens if that single TFTA rocket fails?
nirav
BRF Oldie

Post by nirav »

Suraj wrote:
disha wrote:Simulating? Or Controversial?

As long as it remains objective., it will be a worthwhile effort.
I hope posters will simply ignore others' confrontational tone because overall a lot of useful and enlightening knowledge is being presented :)

I just read about the Chinese launch failure . As I understand, they took the Glushko approach by and large, using hypergolic fuels rather than LOX/RP1. Their recent efforts to build capability in the latter appear tortuous .
Sir,
I've followed your posts in the demo thread and also your moderation of that thread while giving a long rope to trouble makers.
You and many others have shared their knowledge and expertise on the board with extreme humility and a genuine desire to engage in a discussion.

Contrast that with the god complex shown by a person on this thread and needless 'confrontational' stance adopted by that person as the standard tenor of his posts.

Information and knowledge can be shared without needless hostility as shown on this thread by AmberG ji and SSalvi ji.

Because someone has superior technical knowhow shouldn't give them a free pass to talk in any manner they deem fit.

This thread has seen some gems like a spreadsheet rocket,GSLV mk2 capable of 6tons to GTO and the latest, "clustering"

ISRO doesn't know it was 'clustering' engines all this while in the form of GSLV boosters, but the gent knows it was happening all along.
And using that logic, then ISRO has to be derided by now (in)famous tenor, why only 2 clusters on the MK3 and not 3-4--6-36-72?

@the poster name-calling Vikas emgine - I believe it was understood a while back that it is disallowed.
If TFTAness of the engine is in doubt, I assure posters, when stuck under their respective Musharraf's, it will effortlessly put them in orbit.wont look that weakass no more.
negi
BRF Oldie

Post by negi »

Suraj wrote: I just read about the Chinese launch failure . As I understand, they took the Glushko approach by and large, using hypergolic fuels rather than LOX/RP1. Their recent efforts to build capability in the latter appear tortuous .
Their failure rates are higher than ISRO's but as usual they are investing more in every aspect , the LM-5 rocket that failed is a heavy lifter and except the final stage is all cryo powered , boosters are semi cryo .
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

imo if we can use the Mk3 with addl boosters and semi cryo for 8t to GTO we can close the chapter on satellites as due to electric propulsion etc they wont be getting much bigger. even 6t to GTO is a great capability.

for near earth human payloads the 6t to GTO will scale up to 12-15t to LEO. the spaceX dragon spacecraft for ISS is 4t empty and 10t full load, so 12t to LEO is enough to loft it.

beyond that we can then focus on efficiency, cost and semi cryo, making the PSLV type launcher much smaller and streamline our ops for higher launch rates. we should aim to fill the transponder gap with lots of launches. even now some cable operators are not able to move to all-HD channels.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

anyone can shed light on this?
http://www.thehindu.com/todays-paper/tp ... 875316.ece

what happened to GSAT10 and why we are unable to launch more sats (on Ariane) to fill the transponder gap?
A Deshmukh
BRFite

Post by A Deshmukh »

Singha wrote:anyone can shed light on this?
http://www.thehindu.com/todays-paper/tp ... 875316.ece
what happened to GSAT10 and why we are unable to launch more sats (on Ariane) to fill the transponder gap?
Sir, datelined:
BANGALORE:, July 03, 2013 00:00 IST
SwamyG
BRF Oldie

Post by SwamyG »

Varoon Shekhar
BRF Oldie

Post by Varoon Shekhar »

GSAT-10 is certainly functioning well, and is beaming channels for Tata Sky, among others. It also has a GPS payload( "Gagan") which is a major feature of the satellite. GAGAN was working from the beginning but it took some time for the satellite's telecom capacity to kick in, because of economic and political factors, including possibly that whole Devas scandal.

I read somewhere that GSAT-10 has the capability to broadcast 1000 channels! Any confirmation of this? If so, then it is certainly being under-utilized! But it's working.
nirav
BRF Oldie

Post by nirav »

A little humour never hurts ;)

http://www.fakingnews.firstpost.com/ind ... ists-21865
ISRO fails to launch any satellite in last 7 days, govt clarifies it has nothing to do with appraisal provided to scientists
06, Jul 2017 By Santosh Pradhan

Experts at ISRO created a history between May 1999 and June 2017. The biggest space research organization of India launched 209 satellites from 28 countries, collectively weighing 6694.70 kilograms. ISRO has gained a reputation of launching Satellites one after other without too much of a gap. That is the reason that a 7 day gap is making the nation worried. There is a rumor that the scientists din’t get a good appraisal and so the work has slowed down at ISRO.

isro-new_650x400_51457620745
Back in 2007, the organization launched one satellite per year. Last year, they raised the number to 6 satellites per year. In the next few days, they’re planning to increase the launch frequency to 10 satellites per year! ISRO is all set to write a new future for India in space research. But that doesn’t mean we can take the scientist’s financial requirement for granted. Jut like any other corporate employee they too have expectations from their appraisal. If if not given good hike, India may risk losing some scientist to the rival nation.

Venkaiah Naidu was speaking to Faking News on behalf of the government and he had this to say,” All rumors about a bad appraisal are false. We have given good appraisal to all ISRO workers and also have given then the option of work from sdpace just like the work from home option which the corporate give. Any scientist can travel to another planet for a holiday and can work from there without worrying about a pay-cut. The delay might be because they would be designing some new satellites and it is bound to take some time. This is ISRO, not a television sop, which comes on television daily. Satellite will be launched as and when needed. ISRO scientists are not sales employee with a target of specific number of satellites to be launched in a month.”
arun
BRF Oldie

Post by arun »

ISRO and the Israel Space Agency sign three documents during the visit of our Prime Minister to Israel:

1.Plan of Cooperation Between the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) and the Israel Space Agency (ISA) regarding cooperation in Atomic Clocks.

2.MoU between the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) and the Israel Space Agency (ISA)regarding cooperation in GEO-LEO Optical Link.

3.MoU between the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) and the Israel Space Agency (ISA) regarding cooperation in Electric Propulsion for Small Satellites.

From the MEA Website:

List of MoUs/Agreements signed during the visit of Prime Minister to Israel (July 5, 2017)
arun
BRF Oldie

Post by arun »

What does ISRO need such large liquid nitrogen storage facilities at Sriharikota for :?:
INOXCVA delivers mega super insulated tanks to ISRO

By Rhea Healy|6 July 2017

Cryogenic equipment manufacturer INOXCVA has delivered two large storage capacity liquid nitrogen (N2) tanks to the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO).

INOXCVA designed and built the super insulated, 300m3 liquid N2 tanks, which feature ultra-high levels of thermal isolation in combination with high vacuum capacity.

The V30507AS type vessels are 25 metres tall, 5 metres in diameter and weigh in at around 127 tonnes. They also feature vacuum jacketed outer piping valve skids.

The tanks will be installed at ISRO’s Satish Dhawan Space Centre (SDSC) SHAR, Sriharikota, site, the area dedicated to providing the launch base infrastructure for the Indian Space Programme.

INXOCVA called the project “the first of its kind undertaken in India” and a “major milestone in the field of cryogenic insulation technology.”

SDSC SHAR has a separate launch pad for launching sounding rockets. The centre also provides the necessary launch base infrastructure for sounding ISRO’s rockets and for assembly, integration and launch of sounding rockets and payloads.
Link:

INOXCVA delivers mega super insulated tanks to ISRO
Yugandhar
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Yugandhar »

Hazarding a guess here on LN2 tanks. It is likely that LN2 is a by product in the production of liquid Oxygen/Hydrogen. You could sell it as it has a market. The other thing is that I vaguely remember LN2 being used to flush the cryogen storing tanks in the rocket before LOX or LH2 is pumped. This is to lower the temp of the tank and reduce evaporation.
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

nirav wrote:Sir,
I've followed your posts in the demo thread and also your moderation of that thread while giving a long rope to trouble makers.
You and many others have shared their knowledge and expertise on the board with extreme humility and a genuine desire to engage in a discussion.
Bliss to not call me sir, I might be younger than you onlee :)

Here's a piece of moderating work experience: Ideally we want every poster to be well behaved and respectful. But they're not like that. Everyone has an ego here. Even I do. They do things 'their way' . Whether that's the tone of their posting, their degree of conformance to polite language or anything else.

The poster you refer to has a chequered history of warnings and bans to his name. Is there any change after that ? Nope. That's how most are. We can decide whether we want the forum to be a quiet place full of polite but not so knowledgeable people, or a bustling place where people sometimes act rude (and pay the price for it). In between we try to extract as much informative knowledge as possible. I tried that here. I don't know the topic too well, but I know enough to think that if I asked the right questions I could start off a good discussion, and it did. We are all better for it.

If the conversation gets more personal, the poster may get warned or banned, but they'll come back and do the same anyway. That's what history shows.
rahulm
BRFite

Post by rahulm »

From ISRO website as at 3 July

3 axis stabilisation of GSAT-17 has been successfully completed by 07:40 hrs IST on July 03, 2017. Spacecraft systems are normal
rahulm
BRFite

Post by rahulm »

Isro develops ship-based tracking antenna terminal
Istrac developed a 4.6 metre SBT antenna terminal
The SBT Antenna system consists of 3-axis antenna mount, a motion simulator, reflector and feed, servo control systems and radio frequency electronics. Mechanical Systems Area (MSA) of Istrac made a detailed study of the technical requirements, availability of similar systems internationally and derived state-of-the-art specifications," Isro added

The final system performance and validation was carried out by a sea trial. The antenna system was integrated on Sagar Manjusha Ship hired by the National Institute of Ocean Technology (NIOT). The ship was stationed at a specified observation point in Bay of Bengal and has successfully tracked the PSLV-C38 launch vehicle.
Neela
BRF Oldie

Post by Neela »

rahulm wrote:Isro develops ship-based tracking antenna terminal
Istrac developed a 4.6 metre SBT antenna terminal
The SBT Antenna system consists of 3-axis antenna mount, a motion simulator, reflector and feed, servo control systems and radio frequency electronics. Mechanical Systems Area (MSA) of Istrac made a detailed study of the technical requirements, availability of similar systems internationally and derived state-of-the-art specifications," Isro added

The final system performance and validation was carried out by a sea trial. The antenna system was integrated on Sagar Manjusha Ship hired by the National Institute of Ocean Technology (NIOT). The ship was stationed at a specified observation point in Bay of Bengal and has successfully tracked the PSLV-C38 launch vehicle.
Can be used for missile tracking too no?
arun
BRF Oldie

Post by arun »

ISRO Press Release on the matter.

Note there is a S Band version and an upcoming X Band version :wink: :
Indigenous Ship Bound Terminal tracks PSLV-C38 Trajectory Successfully

ISRO Telemetry, Tracking and Command Network (ISTRAC), Bengaluru is entrusted with the major responsibility to provide tracking support for all the satellite and launch vehicle missions of ISRO. ISTRAC has also been mandated to provide space operations support for Deep Space Missions of ISRO. For supporting Deep Space Missions, a large number of ground stations are required to provide Telemetry Tracking and Command (TTC) support during the launch and initial phase. Based on the launch vehicle trajectory and visibility requirement, many a time, the TTC stations are to be located in mid sea, wherein, conventional Ground Station Antenna will not be suitable. In order to cater to these specific requirements, ISTRAC has designed and developed a 4.6 meter Ship Borne Transportable (SBT) Antenna Terminal that meets the launch vehicle TTC requirements.

The SBT Antenna system consists of 3-axis Antenna Mount, a Motion Simulator, Reflector & Feed, Servo Control Systems and RF Electronics. Mechanical Systems Area (MSA) of ISTRAC made a detailed study of the technical requirements, availability of similar systems internationally and derived state-of-the-art specifications. The major design challenges in this system are: Development of a 3-axis antenna mount to compensate for the pitch, roll and yaw disturbances of the ship during tracking of the launch vehicle; Design and develop a motion simulator to simulate the base disturbances experienced by the ship during sea state condition; Flexibility for change over from S-Band TTC station to X-Band TTC station with minimum hardware changes; Packaging the entire system within in the standard ISO container is a very important requirement towards shipping to other countries; and Redundancy in drive systems.

The final system performance and validation was carried out by a sea trial, wherein, the Antenna system was integrated on SAGAR MANJUSHA Ship hired from National Institute of Ocean Technology (NIOT). The ship was stationed at a specified observation point in Bay of Bengal and has successfully tracked PSLV-C38 launch vehicle from predicted Acquisition Of Signal (AOS) time (T+60sec) to Loss Of Signal (LOS) time (T+596sec) in auto track mode. The quality of the data acquired was as per the prediction.

The Antenna system was realised with the participation of Indian Industries and has been tested and validated on a motion simulator. ISRO has built this 4.6 meter Ship Borne Antenna System indigenously, fulfilling all the specifications and has established in-house capability for meeting future requirements. It also improved the operational reliability due to in-house know-how of the system engineering, besides reducing the cost considerably.

ISRO Link Clicky

Photograph of the Ship Borne Transportable (SBT) Antenna On Sea Trials During PSLV C-38 Launch:

Pic 4.6 Mtr SBT Antenna
Last edited by arun on 12 Jul 2017 15:18, edited 2 times in total.
sum
BRF Oldie

Post by sum »

^^ I guess some variant of this will go into the Missile tracking vessel being built at HSL currently
arun
BRF Oldie

Post by arun »

^^^ I would be 800% surprised if a X Band or S Band version did not get on that Missile tracking vessel being built at HSL currently. Just hope it is much larger diameter.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

will it permit all-the-way tracking full range shots to southern indian ocean - shores of antarctica - this would be a useful asset for MIRV tracking also.
SSSalvi
BRFite

Post by SSSalvi »

^^^
For satellites ( or a 'rocket' with 'intended' payload ) with an altitude of 1000 kms there is a physical restriction of visibility limit ( due to a spherical shape of Earth ) of about 3000 kms radius circle around observer ( the Ship in this case ). So the ship needs to be positioned strategically within 3000 kms of the point of interest.

@arun
Why a large dia antenna? It will reduce field of view.
In fact for a missile tracking we should have a large view area ( Beamwidth .. to be precise ) because we can't know the trajectory/time of deployment in advance
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

Gagan
BRF Oldie

Post by Gagan »

Some errors in the article above
1. The airforce's satellite to be launched later this year, the GSAT 7A will be the last of this series
2. Rukmini is a communications satellite. What India probably uses for ELINT is the GSAT-6A with its huge 6m antenna, or the RISATs, Oceansats, and the Cartosats for IMINT
3. The GSAT 7A, the airforce satellite can allow drones to be flown using secure sat links. Maybe the GSAT-7 Rukmini allows the Navy to fly its drones far and wide and be controlled and communicate with the base via satellite
SSSalvi
BRFite

Post by SSSalvi »

Carto 2E .. Hi res separation... Oh, that dangling connector ( Right Bottom corner ) is scary.

How many small flying objects .. space is really a scary place.

Ashokk
BRFite

Post by Ashokk »

Good interview with Tapan Misra (Director Space Applications Centre) where he talks about NAVIC and on development of the NAVIC chip.