Army strikes terror camps in PoK

The Military Issues & History Forum is a venue to discuss issues relating to the military aspects of the Indian Armed Forces, whether the past, present or future. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
asgkhan
BRFite

Re: Army strikes terror camps in PoK

Post by asgkhan »

I am not convinced with the HAHO drop. My guess is they went on foot, synchronized the attack on pigs. Sent them on their way to meet the 72 v!rgins. Any birds on LOC would have been picked up by the Paki radars.
Lalmohan
BRF Oldie

Post by Lalmohan »

i for one am pleased that this is NOT getting much air time in the western media - says that no one gives a rat's musharraff as to what happens to pig land anymore. "india gave jhapad? of course, fair enough..."

paks have no option other than to deny this ever happened - there are no terrorists here, therefore there could not be any strike against terrorists here

some commentators are worried that the sarkari beards will now gain prominence, maybe, but first they will turn against their sarkar... oh well, they don't exist, they are not there, there can be no revolt by someone who does not exist...
maxratul
BRFite -Trainee

Post by maxratul »

massive rumors swirling around that one of Hafeez Saeed, Syed Salahuddin or Masood Azhar has applied for the 72. fingers crossed...
ani_sharma
BRFite -Trainee

Post by ani_sharma »

Aditya G wrote:From DFI
Immanuel, post: 1209738, member: 8704 wrote:Allright dears, more details:

* As some news channels claim, each launch pad had 30-40 pigs including handlers, incorrect, the biggest launching pad had around 15. The point of a launching pad is to remain as hidden as possible before they infiltrate. Unless someone is trying to club numbers from both ops the first covert and second well documented one.
Aditya, thanks for sharing these details. Knowing ops took place was just like condolence to me, knowing these details give immense satisfaction.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

asgkhan wrote:I am not convinced with the HAHO drop. My guess is they went on foot, synchronized the attack on pigs. Sent them on their way to meet the 72 v!rgins. Any birds on LOC would have been picked up by the Paki radars.
I think normal procedure prevents aircraft from either side to go within 10 km of border. J&K would have been bristling with Indian fighters and HALO jumps can occur from more than 10 km away. It's not impossible. A jump from 20,000 feet from 10 -15 km away is feasible.
jamwal
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by jamwal »

Surgical Strikes: First major use of Cartosat images for Army

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/indi ... 596113.cms?
BENGALURU: In what's being described as the first major use of the Cartosat family of satellites, the last one (2c) launched in June this year, sources in Isro said that the armed forces were aided by high-resolution images for the surgical strikes+ conducted across the line of control+ (LoC) in the small hours of Thursday.
A source in Isro said: "We've been providing images to the armed forces, the army in particular. While I cannot comment if any specific image was sent on a particular day in the previous week, I can say that Cartosat images are meant for this purpose and the army has used this."
Both Isro and the Ministry of Defence (MoD) have largely remained tight-lipped about the uses of the Cartosat family of satellites—which experts call India's 'eye in the sky'—built for dual use.
The Cartosat-2C in particular added more teeth to India's military surveillance and reconnaissance capabilities, and has been providing high resolution images of 0.65 metres, an improvement over the 0.8m resolution of the earlier missions.
Area of Interest Images
"Cartosat also provided Area of Interest (AOI) based images for the armed forces," the source said. Another explained that based on requests, one or more scenes/images covering the AOI as specified is provided in as a single polygon (all the areas in one circle) in the form of a shapefile (non-topological geometry and attribute information for the spatial features).
According to the National Remote Sensing Centre (NRSC) in Hyderabad, AOI products are of two types—standard and precision-based ortho (where images taken from space are corrected to have an uniform scale—both of which are useful for the armed forces. Ortho rectified products are corrected for terrain distortions and camera tilt effects.
While the first Cartosat was launched in 2005, Cartosat-2A launched in 2007 was the first dual-use satellite with capabilities of monitoring missile launches in India's neighbourhood.

And, the Cartosat-2C is the best in the class that India boasts of although countries like the US and Israel boast of better ones. This satellite can not only click pictures of areas of interest, but also record videos of sensitive targets from space, compress it, and relay it back to earth.
jamwal
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by jamwal »

maxratul wrote:massive rumors swirling around that one of Hafeez Saeed, Syed Salahuddin or Masood Azhar has applied for the 72. fingers crossed...
Source of rumours ?
sarkar
BRFite -Trainee

Post by sarkar »

ArmenT wrote:Just a dumb question here: did the op happen last night or last week?

Reason I ask is because there was news of an op from 20th, news of which was reported here as well (e.g. this post).
Were there two ops? one op? Did some journos get an early hint that an op was planned before it actually happened?? Anyone have any info?
I also saw a news on youtube few days back that Indian troops did cross border ops post Uri attack. May be they did cross loc many times before for recon ops. I was just wondering why the mainstream media is not making any hulla over it.

[youtube]https://youtu.be/vPMcZFDeSiw[/youtube]
JayS
Forum Moderator

Post by JayS »

jamwal wrote:
maxratul wrote:massive rumors swirling around that one of Hafeez Saeed, Syed Salahuddin or Masood Azhar has applied for the 72. fingers crossed...
Source of rumours ?
Saw some handles on Twitter saying things suggesting something like this. 2/3 high value targets. 1 dead, 1 injured etc etc.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

OK some thoughts:

These thoughts are based on a few data points that I take as granted because I do not intend to get into arguments about the following points. I take them as axiomatic
1. An Indian army SF operation did take place
2. They did kill 35 plus men belonging to JeM/LeT
3. A few Pak army men were also killed

From here I put myself in the shoes of a Paki army jernail and I react the way they have reacted - i.e I say "No action took place. there was no attack no one was killed"

So what about the few dead army men? They can be ignored and their deaths attributed to Indian shelling

I then put myself in the chain of command of leT/JeM. The men at the launch pad are not ordinary run of the mill jihadis. They are the pick of the indoctrinated men, and men who have been through some gruelling training. Their families have been promised sustenance in case of death of these men - and effort and money has gone into their training because they have proven themselves capable of launching fidayeen attacks on India.

Now suddenly 35 of them are dead. Now how are the leaders of the LeT and JeM going to explain away their disappearance before lifting their bums to the sky in memory? Are they going to back the Pakistan army story that these men were caught in shelling? But how come 35 plus jihadis does and only a handful of army in the Indian shelling? OK - so the JuM/LeT are thick as thieves with the Paki army. They will, for the time being hide the deaths and pretend nothing happened or blame it n Indians. But hen what. They are supposed to take revenge. They are supposed to kill kafirs. So what are the going to do. Here the Paki army is telling them to say nothing happened. On the other hand the LeT and JuM leadership know exactly what happened.

Here's what I think Basically a small proportion of jihadis are going to get angry with the Paki army leadership and they are going to exfiltrate from their jihadi groups and join ISIS or TTP or some group that is anti-Pakistan army. The only way the Paki army can retain clout is to get more jihadized. But more on that after I have finished reading Khaled Ahmed's eminently readable book "Sleepwalking to Surrender"
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

JayS wrote: Saw some handles on Twitter saying things suggesting something like this. 2/3 high value targets. 1 dead, 1 injured etc etc.
Sorry - I did not understand this post
Yagnasri
BRF Oldie

Post by Yagnasri »

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/indi ... 596113.cms

0.65 resolution is quite good. Right.

As per the rumours, one High-Value Target is taken out or taken alive. We do not know particulars.
pankajs
BRF Oldie

Post by pankajs »

JTull wrote:It is in India's interest to keep POK unsettled to make the cost of securing CPEC ever higher.
I agree. This was actually a triple strike plus some more.
1. Bak Army & its assorted non-state actors.
2. Signal to China. Bak action/reaction is only going create further instability in the POK which is undesirable from the China/CPEC pov.
3. Signal to the Bak pasand's in the K valley and outside in India proper.

Plus
a. Signal to US, which has been the main shield for the Bakis. Unfair points in one of her interviews that the *water* as a flash point in sooth-ayesha was picked up by the Bakis from the US stink tank community (IIRC, the water line owes its origin to uneven's vomit). *Non-state* actor as a shield was also coined by some US diplomat posted in Bakistan.
b. Neighbors
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

0.1m is supposedly the gold standard using KH12 sats the size of volvo buses ie a hubble sized instrument pointed not at stars but on the earth.
0.25 will probably be superb as well.
JayS
Forum Moderator

Post by JayS »

shiv wrote:
JayS wrote: Saw some handles on Twitter saying things suggesting something like this. 2/3 high value targets. 1 dead, 1 injured etc etc.
Sorry - I did not understand this post
Some twitter handles saying high value targets were involved in the surgical strike. Possibly 1/2 taken out. But all unconfirmed/confused chatter. Not worth taking seriously right now. Even IA might not be sure if HVT were dead, if at all HVTs were targeted. Might not have got enough time to positive id all the corpuses or whatever was left of them. If some most wanted guys is taken out and it gets confirmed, I think they will declare it officially.
Last edited by JayS on 30 Sep 2016 15:09, edited 1 time in total.
Yagnasri
BRF Oldie

Post by Yagnasri »

http://www.firstpost.com/india/indias-s ... 27608.html

Are these people having some serious ego issue. "revenge lust"? Really?
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

Farzad Lami
‏@FarzadLameh
Ex Pakistani President Parvez Musharraf to arrive to Washington today for lobbying in congress. #Pakistan is desperately seeking U.S. help.
pankajs
BRF Oldie

Post by pankajs »

They have to earn their pay so they circle back to *p1ss talks* wonlee. I am just going by the headline.

Pls post headlines too so that a visit can be avoided.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

meantime Obama has suckered the saudis by first vetoing a bill for 9/11 lawsuits against saudi govt which he knew congress would overturn (some say he secretly campaigned for the over turn)..so now he can just wring his hands when the Al Sauds ask for any help for the money thrown into US lobby circles. saudis will have their own issues with US now and yemen and unpaid labour in a recessionary economy, so no capital to waste picking up any issue with india.

koi nahi aayega daurte daurte bachane ke liye ... TSP is on its own for now.
Dmurphy
BRFite

Post by Dmurphy »

Singha wrote:Farzad Lami
‏@FarzadLameh
Ex Pakistani President Parvez Musharraf to arrive to Washington today for lobbying in congress. #Pakistan is desperately seeking U.S. help.
This is bizarre. N'waz sending in Mushy - the same guy who had him on the run about 15 years ago! :eek:
vishal
BRFite

Post by vishal »

* SF went after the targets deep in, indeed HAHOed in from Dhruvs, also (this is beautiful) they had a couple of Rudras flying about ready to pounce, in case our boys need help, but that call never happened.

* Sf went in first, Ghataks began their op a bit later..... However, the largest camp was destroyed by none other than the Garuds boys, indeed a squad of these guys went in.
Just how many units were represented? So far we seem to have SF, Ghatak platoons & Garuds backed by gunships. This sounds more like an invasion and not a 'surgical strike'. Unless someone decided that a surgical strike is what the Russians did to Grozny (which is not a bad idea at all in the current context).
Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya_V »

Dmurphy wrote:
Singha wrote:Farzad Lami
‏@FarzadLameh
This is bizarre. N'waz sending in Mushy - the same guy who had him on the run about 15 years ago! :eek:
We dont know whether this war criminal was sent by the Good Sharif or the soon to Retire Bad Sharif. Unless, did not Mushy do a coup on Nawaz by claiming to Pak Army and Awam by claiming Nawaz betrayed Pakistan by doing an unfair Deal in Washington in July 1999 w.r.t Kargil. Perhaps Nawaz hs some secific revenge plan!
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

musharaff was apparently allowed to leave country for medical treatment, but a video of him dancing with wife has emerged...

http://www.mid-day.com/articles/viral-v ... n/17647151
ks_sachin
BRF Oldie

Post by ks_sachin »

vishal wrote:
Just how many units were represented? So far we seem to have SF, Ghatak platoons & Garuds backed by gunships. This sounds more like an invasion and not a 'surgical strike'. Unless someone decided that a surgical strike is what the Russians did to Grozny (which is not a bad idea at all in the current context).
Elements of 2 para bns and ghatak platoons of 2 Inf bns -
JayS
Forum Moderator

Post by JayS »

* As some news channels claim, each launch pad had 30-40 pigs including handlers, incorrect, the biggest launching pad had around 15. The point of a launching pad is to remain as hidden as possible before they infiltrate. Unless someone is trying to club numbers from both ops the first covert and second well documented one.
* The sites of the various massacres were cleverly mined and booby trapped before returning, more pigs will/would have died combing those areas later on.
Mini Cold Start... :mrgreen:
Manish_P
BRF Oldie

Post by Manish_P »

I have been waiting for this for a long time too

And now i know that the Amir-khan like videos will also come soon

Till then i will make do by imaging that it went something like this...

Link- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoVWedQOQl4

Video-

sum wrote:^^ What i had hoped i would never see in my lifetime ( details of ops with Amir-khan like action all around)!!

Now i can die peacefully :D
* Sf went in first, Ghataks began their op a bit later. SF left no foot prints, they went in like ghosts and left a pile of mess. Para teams were mix squads of 6 SF and 6 Airborne, all they sent in was a platoon size force. However, the largest camp was destroyed by none other than the Garuds boys, indeed a squad of these guys went in, the largest camp had the handlers of JEM and Hizb who helped execute the pathankot attack. The 3 handlers were wasted in their sleep :shoot:. They deployed clever and stealthy firepower, silenced weapons, long range sniper shots, sneaky up close knife work and heavy volume of suppressed fire.
* Ghataks were loud, they were backed up by regular infantry from their respective regiments. Their op is being said to be the brutal part of the strike. While infantry lit up the posts, ghataks charged in, knowing fully well the fire would spook the pigs at the pads.
Seems everyone and their uncle joined in the fun-fest. Only MARCOs seem to have got the shortest straw and missed out

Such a large force went across and the TSP-ians didnt have a clue? Dont they have significant numbers posted there with the pads usually next to the army outposts?
Yagnasri
BRF Oldie

Post by Yagnasri »

Marcos must be very angry that they were not allowed to have some serious workout.
Sumeet
BRFite

Post by Sumeet »

Some reaction from Bollywood:

Sonakshi and John during promotion of their upcoming movie

Tweets from notable stars:

Amitabh Bachchan ✔ @SrBachchan
T 2394 - "Don't mess with the Indian Army" !!
11:58 AM - 29 Sep 2016
5,492 5,492 Retweets 14,142 likes

Akshay Kumar ✔ @akshaykumar
Proud of the Indian Army for successfully carrying out the anti-terrorism operation.Glad the Government took this bold step,was about time!
5:54 AM - 29 Sep 2016
15,060 15,060 Retweets 37,554 likes

Shah Rukh Khan ✔ @iamsrk
Thnx Indian army for the action against terrorism.V should all pray for safety & well being of our Indian soldiers.
6:47 AM - 29 Sep 2016
11,822 11,822 Retweets 27,950 likes

Sidharth Malhotra ✔ @S1dharthM
Salute to the Indian army,we once again stand united for war against terror #ProudIndian
9:52 AM - 29 Sep 2016
951 951 Retweets 3,693 likes

Rishi Kapoor ✔ @chintskap
"Last straw that broke the camel's back.....Now, as you sow, so shall you reap". You asked for it! Proud to be an Indian Jai Hind
6:43 PM - 29 Sep 2016
392 392 Retweets 1,641 likes

Shatrughan Sinha @ShatruganSinha
Bravo PM @narendramodi. Congratulations on your firm action. We are all with you. Jai Hind.
9:31 AM - 29 Sep 2016
habal
BRF Oldie

Post by habal »

if indeed it was a purely HAHO night ops, then how did the ghatak chaps install pathfinders, were these devices droppes in place earlier or were these men who were sent in advance. Chances are that it was an hybrid op.
symontk
BRFite

Post by symontk »

habal wrote:if indeed it was a purely HAHO night ops, then how did the ghatak chaps install pathfinders, were these devices droppes in place earlier or were these men who were sent in advance. Chances are that it was an hybrid op.
From what I guess

Infllitration was done long time back. Additional forces and exfiltration was done two nights back

There were few twitter messages that Indian troops are already there in POK just after Uri operation
Aditya G
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya G »

From from DFI
Immanuel, post: 1209950, member: 8704 wrote:*The Garud team that went in was from the same 'Flight' that lost a comrade during Pathankot. IA and IAF drones were monitoring he pigs since they scrambled from the first strike. When comms pointed to the same handlers as Pathankot, Garuds were itching for payback, the honor of taking down those pigs were given to them. In terms of affect the first strike was devastating, just don' expect to hear anything about it. It was done quietly and well over 150+ enemy were killed, most likely pounded by arty. 3-4 major camps were set alight. These ae proper camps and were 12-20km deep into POK. The latest op killed the stragglers and survivors of the first attack. Many of them still had light burn injuries, shrapnel wounds etc.

* The SF HAHOed in from around 12-16 km away from LOC, they chose this method in order to sneak past major posts which were between 800m to 1.5km near the bigger launch pads. Alerting these posts would bring in PA in numbers and would complicate the mission. The goal was first and foremost to kill the pigs, any uniformed assholes who got in the way would be taken out. SF didn't kill any PA. PA were killed by Ghataks and infantry with quick RPO shots to the forward bunkers since they and the launching pads were close enough to have interference. SF took their sweet time getting in place. They were ghosts, they ensured the launching pads were surrounded, they recced the pads for some time, they waited for the late hours when the sentries were least attentive and majority of the pigs were asleep, all 3 major launching pads were taken at the same time. After the kills, they scoured the place for intel, they hit gold. This will be used in the next coming days/weeks to great effect.

* By the time the Ghataks began their op, SF was done and was stealthily inching back. Since the Ghataks were causing such a ruckus the PA mobilized a few BAT teams, Rangers, other posts in the area were re-enforced.

* Nearly a dozen other major piggy camps deeper (around 30-40km) in POK in various locations have started sending out pigs, intel puts this figure at around 450-600 (pigs, handlers, BATS), PA are mobilizing all the expendable pigs they can sacrifice before they chicken out. Piggy camps near Karachi are quite active. SSB, coast guard on high alert.

* More ops are expected, this thing will get hot before winter
Yagnasri
BRF Oldie

Post by Yagnasri »

http://www.rediff.com/news/column/how-o ... 160930.htm

Interesting one from rediff for a change.
symontk
BRFite

Post by symontk »

shiv wrote:OK some thoughts:

These thoughts are based on a few data points that I take as granted because I do not intend to get into arguments about the following points. I take them as axiomatic
1. An Indian army SF operation did take place
2. They did kill 35 plus men belonging to JeM/LeT
3. A few Pak army men were also killed

From here I put myself in the shoes of a Paki army jernail and I react the way they have reacted - i.e I say "No action took place. there was no attack no one was killed"

So what about the few dead army men? They can be ignored and their deaths attributed to Indian shelling

I then put myself in the chain of command of leT/JeM. The men at the launch pad are not ordinary run of the mill jihadis. They are the pick of the indoctrinated men, and men who have been through some gruelling training. Their families have been promised sustenance in case of death of these men - and effort and money has gone into their training because they have proven themselves capable of launching fidayeen attacks on India.

Now suddenly 35 of them are dead. Now how are the leaders of the LeT and JeM going to explain away their disappearance before lifting their bums to the sky in memory? Are they going to back the Pakistan army story that these men were caught in shelling? But how come 35 plus jihadis does and only a handful of army in the Indian shelling? OK - so the JuM/LeT are thick as thieves with the Paki army. They will, for the time being hide the deaths and pretend nothing happened or blame it n Indians. But hen what. They are supposed to take revenge. They are supposed to kill kafirs. So what are the going to do. Here the Paki army is telling them to say nothing happened. On the other hand the LeT and JuM leadership know exactly what happened.

Here's what I think Basically a small proportion of jihadis are going to get angry with the Paki army leadership and they are going to exfiltrate from their jihadi groups and join ISIS or TTP or some group that is anti-Pakistan army. The only way the Paki army can retain clout is to get more jihadized. But more on that after I have finished reading Khaled Ahmed's eminently readable book "Sleepwalking to Surrender"
I am not picking on you, but you posted something important. But you missed out on one thing

Earlier Pakistan was backing on its nuclear status to prevent the attacks. Now that it is not giving them any security, they will look for other options. Here I am thinking like a Pak general who is really vengeful. Our GOI is thinking of war from Pakistan and so moving out people out of border areas (it might also happen). My take is that war is not what is going to happen next. I may be wrong, but reading from denial from Pakistan I am thinking that they are having a different plan

One of the downside of our surgical strike or hot pursuit or cross border attack, whatever you call it, is that it legitimize cross border attacks. In the same way, we should be expecting similar attacks from Pakistan in future actually near future from regular Pak army, not that it is going to make any difference
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

TSP has nowhere near the border surveillance grid we have - because they do not have the problem of infiltration .... dont think they have ground surveillance radars, lorros , ground sensors etc. the fence put up in IB is also ours .

they are nanga whenever we want to go across and will need to spend huge to put up similar grid in terns of capex and opex. Cheen is not going to foot the bill on that one and neither is amrika . and I dont think saudis will send its army to help :rotfl:

or else they can get used to being hit like this whenever someone in dilli gets in the mood.
Marten
BRF Oldie
Location: Engaging Communists, Uber-Socialists, Maoists, and other pro-poverty groups in fruitful dialog.

Post by Marten »

These juicy details don't seem to be doing any good. All they do is raise questions.

Would not expect an SF officer to leak such info, especially about any MO that might be repeated in the future.
And especially the Quint type article that left many a defence journos red faced (the author was even more irresponsible and basically found lying later about the numbers etc.) Whoever feeds these sources must be weeded out.

The biggest outcome from the strikes was that all the whiners within India stand exposed. All the threats across the border appear to be very shallow. Playing the echandee game was a master-stroke. But operational details must not be shared regardless of how much they help jingos.
darshhan
BRF Oldie

Post by darshhan »

Lots of Badhai to all brothers, Indian govt and ofcourse the Miltary. Finally we have struck and struck in style. It is clear that paki hadjis have suffered massive damages, but they are bent on hiding their fatality levels.

In this Pakis are behaving like girl who gets gang raped but refuses to file FIR and identify the accused just for the sake of her public reputation.

Furthermore this clearly is start of a process and not just one off attack. India has turned a new chapter and things will never be the same again. It is begining of the end for PakiArmy and by extension Pakistan as a coherent entity.

If only these cockscking Pakis had listened to John Rambo " When Pushed, killing's as easy as breathing "
darshhan
BRF Oldie

Post by darshhan »

One of the comments on reddit

"There is a side that needs to be taken now! It's India. Hell for sure, that ****** cocksucking country that kept Bin Laden doesn't qualifies to be innocent. ****** has been keeping and breeding terrorists for quite sometime now".
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

>> These juicy details don't seem to be doing any good. All they do is raise questions.

rest assured these are all Denil's who missed the scenarios thread and are instead presented with a great opportunity to write fiction...its soon going to be embellished with C130J, lorros, samyukta, unpowered wooden horsa gliders, special belgian malinese dogs(for the khan effect), modded TAR21s etc etc.

only if the leak comes via known face like a defence journo should it be a considered a genuine insider or one-hop away from a insider.
JTull
BRF Oldie

Post by JTull »

Saeed is on TV so he's alive. Wherever this speech is being broadcast from, a Brahmos flight should deliver the flowers.
Last edited by JTull on 30 Sep 2016 18:05, edited 1 time in total.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

imagery has not been released because GOI wants to give TSP all the time to convince its own people and build up a huge pyramid of eggs , which a deft release later will bring the house down in egg yolk.