Army strikes terror camps in PoK

The Military Issues & History Forum is a venue to discuss issues relating to the military aspects of the Indian Armed Forces, whether the past, present or future. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Thakur_B
BRF Oldie

Re: Army strikes terror camps in PoK

Post by Thakur_B »

Didn't expect the infamy of r/india to reach other forums as well :rotfl:
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

What a toxic pile of...
nachiket
Forum Moderator

Post by nachiket »

I didn't even know that cesspool existed. Seems to be full of jobless JNU students.
Thakur_B
BRF Oldie

Post by Thakur_B »

nachiket wrote:I didn't even know that cesspool existed. Seems to be full of jobless JNU students.
Sorry for the OT, but r/india was very centrist a few years back. Then came the purge after 2014. Anyone nationalistic was banned and political shills of certain political parties took over. Full of Pakistanis pretending to be Endians.
AdityaM
BRF Oldie

Post by AdityaM »

Kashi wrote:The taqleef on r/india on the release and success of Uri is highly palpable.

One could be forgiven for thinking that they had landed on r/Pakistan instead.
What is r/india ?
ks_sachin
BRF Oldie

Post by ks_sachin »

Neilz wrote:
darshhan wrote:Guys, could you stop being cruel. Yours truly has not had the opportunity to view this movie till now. :(

I am still hoping to catch it in a day or two.
How's the JOSH!!! :lol: :mrgreen:
That is the one line that grated for me!!!

Jwala Mata Ki Jai and Jai Bajrang Bali would have been more like it in some scenes.

But I should not quibble...
Kashi
BRF Oldie

Post by Kashi »

AdityaM wrote:What is r/india ?
A subreddit (a thread/category) on Indian matters on the reddit website.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

Singha wrote:I am going in again with kids this weekend
I did one better - sending my kids (2nd round) and wife (1st round) instead :mrgreen: her friend was praising it. being 'soft sickular' who argues with my pov occasionally, the initial murderous raid on the myanmar camp will come as a brutal shock.

son has instagrammed his friends he wants to hear the bark of the M4's again and again - dem fortniters are familiar with various weapons. i educated him a bit about the diverse array of small arms that our SF uses and the taxonomy of SF units.
ArjunPandit
BRF Oldie

Post by ArjunPandit »

India used to have some culture of keeping weapons in pre British India. My family has daggers and swords of different types. All pre British era
Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya_V »

ArjunPandit wrote:India used to have some culture of keeping weapons in pre British India. My family has daggers and swords of different types. All pre British era
British and Mughal Era, both these regimes systemically de armed the population to enforce thier rule.
ArjunPandit
BRF Oldie

Post by ArjunPandit »

Aditya_V wrote:
ArjunPandit wrote:India used to have some culture of keeping weapons in pre British India. My family has daggers and swords of different types. All pre British era
British and Mughal Era, both these regimes systemically de armed the population to enforce thier rule.
True, may be it is getting off the track here, but the thing is even in my eng college in delhi where Army showcasing some equipment (FH 77, mortars, Grenade Launcher) on an annual basis, the posts are quite often incorrect. If that's an engineering college, then we can imagine the rest. not having NCC in major cities makes things even worse
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

ks_sachin wrote:
Neilz wrote:
How's the JOSH!!! :lol: :mrgreen:
That is the one line that grated for me!!!

Jwala Mata Ki Jai and Jai Bajrang Bali would have been more like it in some scenes.

But I should not quibble...
Leftists like Saikat Datta, Rahul Bedi would have imploded. :mrgreen:
Paul
BRF Oldie

Post by Paul »

Supporting actors (paki spy, Parrikar) are from "Crime Patrol"!
arshyam
BRF Oldie

Post by arshyam »

This is the third week, isn't it? Just returned from a houseful night show here in BLR. On a Thu night, nit weekend. Audience josh was high as usual.
wig
BRF Oldie

Post by wig »

https://theprint.in/opinion/as-indians- ... ns/182638/
Lt Gen H S Panag (R) has written about two other cross border ops carried out under his command
excerpted from the above
Strike one: Karubar Bowl
Five months after the Kargil War, I had taken over the Batalik-Yaldor-Chorbatla Sector most of which had been occupied for the first time since 1947. LoC was marked on a small scale map with a thick pen after the Shimla Agreement. There was ample scope for securing tactical features on and across the LoC. There were four such features in my area, and one of them also offered an opportunity to do a “reverse Kargil” on a small scale. Let me describe this operation – I have mentioned it in one of my earlier columns – as it took place on 7/8 April 2000.

At 1500 hours at Takpochand, a small Indian Army post on the Ladakh Range in the Chorbat La Sector, feverish activity began to take place. The altitude was 5,400 metres and a blizzard was blowing. The visibility was barely 20 metres. The soldiers were busy erecting a boom on top of the cliff overlooking a glacier 100 metres below. Fifteen minutes later, a task force of 60 soldiers led by a young Captain was descending on to the glacier to begin a two-kilometre approach march to capture Point 5310 (in military parlance ‘Point’ refers to significant heights marked on a map with a ‘period’). At 1430 hours, as the Brigade Commander, I had given the ‘thumbs up’ for launch of the operation for which planning and training had been going on for two and a half month

The operation was to be launched after last light, but the commander of the task force wanted to take advantage of the foul weather to gain time as he had to capture Pt 5310 before first light on 8 April. The movement over the glacier was extremely slow. It took one hour to traverse 100 metres.

Apart from the omnipresent danger of avalanches, there were a number of crevasses with unfathomable depth which had to be bridged with aluminum ladders. Eight such crevasses had to be crossed. The soldiers were ‘roped’ in small groups for safety. The temperature was minus 20 degrees Celsius. After every hour, the soldiers would huddle around a kerosene stove under a canvass sheet to warm themselves up. It was a struggle of human endeavour against nature in its extreme form. Naib Subedar Satnam Singh, the second in command of the task force, fell into a crevasse and was killed in action.

Fortune favours the brave—Point 5310 was not held by the enemy. History was made and it was secured at 0700 hours, 8 April 2000. The same evening, it was announced by the BBC radio Urdu service on that the Indian Army had captured a feature across the LoC in the Chorbat La Sector. Yes, Point 5310 was a dominating feature in the Karubar Bowl (a nullah is known as a ‘bar’ in this area and a ‘bowl’ is the military term for a small valley), two kilometres across the LoC. The LoC around the ‘bowl’, which is six kilometres wide, is U-shaped with the base towards our side. Point 5310 was two kilometres from the base and thus effectively controlled an area of 12 square kilometres, which was now permanently a part of India.
and
Strike two: Summer of 2000
In the summer of 2000, my brigade secured three more disputed features on/across the LoC in in the Yaldor Sector but the territorial gains were marginal. In 2001, we planned for another major operation.

Insurgency was at its peak. As per South Asia Terrorism Portal, 1956, 2645, 2215, and 1964 terrorists were killed in 2000, 2001, 2002 and 2003 respectively, at the cost of 1,700 soldiers killed in action.

General Rustom K. Nanavatty, GOC in C Northern Command for most of this period, planned and coordinated relentless counter-terrorist operations that broke the back of the insurgency and turned the tide.

In addition, trans-LoC operations and fire assaults were being launched by both sides. In 2001, the situation was very grim. To end the impasse, the Indian Army decided to launch a Jammu and Kashmir (J&K)-centric limited war.

Political sanction was obtained and the scheduled D-Day was in first week of October. The likely political aim was to force compellence on Pakistan to stop the proxy war. The military aim was to permanently alter the status of the LoC by 5-10 kilometres in selected areas all along the entire front—from Turtuk to Jaurian. Twenty-five to 30 Pakistani posts were to be captured from a ‘cold start’ by the troops deployed along the LoC, the integral reserves of Northern Command of one division and four brigades and one division of Army Headquarters reserve.

Most of the troops were already in J&K. And so, preparations began in May 2001.

There were two such posts in my sector. Detailed reconnaissance was carried out. The objectives were shown to the attacking troops. Heavy weapons including old artillery and air defence guns were lugged up to our post for direct firing. The planning and preparations were perfect in all respects. Each post was to be attacked with one battalion supported by the fire of 100 artillery guns.

The timing—first week of October—was perfect. After mid-November, operations in high altitude and the Valley become severely restricted due to extreme cold and snow. The enemy was left with only a small window for quid pro quo operations.

To maintain surprise, no large-scale mobilisation was planned in the plains and subsequent plans were contingent upon the escalatory dynamics after the launch of the J&K-centric operations. Alas, 9/11 changed the regional strategic situation, with Pakistan becoming the base for planned American war in Afghanistan. Due to the changed circumstances, the planned operations were called off.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

arshyam wrote:This is the third week, isn't it? Just returned from a houseful night show here in BLR. On a Thu night, nit weekend. Audience josh was high as usual.
going in again tomorrow for 2nd sortie. tickts hard to get anywhere...usually only 1st and 2nd row available for sunday
Vikas
BRF Oldie

Post by Vikas »

I wonder if these 2 incidents quoted by Gen Panag can really be called cross border ops.
In first cases, there was no contact with the enemy and second one didn't go beyond planning stage.
arshyam
BRF Oldie

Post by arshyam »

Singha wrote:
arshyam wrote:This is the third week, isn't it? Just returned from a houseful night show here in BLR. On a Thu night, nit weekend. Audience josh was high as usual.
going in again tomorrow for 2nd sortie. tickts hard to get anywhere...usually only 1st and 2nd row available for sunday
If possible, try to watch in a theatre with Dolby atmos. Sound quality and the experience is at a whole different level. I saw in inox yesterday, and it was so-so.
darshhan
BRF Oldie

Post by darshhan »

arshyam wrote:
Singha wrote:
If possible, try to watch in a theatre with Dolby atmos. Sound quality and the experience is at a whole different level. I saw in inox yesterday, and it was so-so.
We should try and achieve Rs 300 cr box office collection for this one. 200 cr is absolutely possible
Kashi
BRF Oldie

Post by Kashi »

Off topic, but don't really believe that those "other" movies actually make 300 cr at the BO. Lots of embellishment in them figures.
sudarshan
BRF Oldie

Post by sudarshan »

SHQ is kind of queasy. She knows terrorists deserve it, but too much violence, and she'll gross out. Would it be too much for a female viewer, do you think? If so, I might have to go by myself.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

Take her. Tough but ladies have to suck up the harsh reality too.let her see the plight of the poor girl

Its they who mostly advocate aman and compromises
sudeepj
BRFite

Post by sudeepj »

Point 5310 was two kilometres from the base and thus effectively controlled an area of 12 square kilometres, which was now permanently a part of India.
With all due respect to Gen Panag, I can not discern any strategic or tactical goal of this operation, other than the Dilli plutocrat mentality to grab land. How did the control of 12sq km of an icy wasteland benefit Indians, whether they are civilians or soldiers? Perhaps there was some tactical benefit to controlling this area, such as stopping an ingress route of terrorists, or establishing dominance over enemy posts, but this does not come across in the article.

Compared to this, the surgical strikes were an altogether different matter. Perhaps 40 odd terrorists were killed. Considering the ratio of casualties, this directly saved the lives and health of as many as 20-60 Indian civilians and soldiers. It disrupted the operations and tactical planning of the enemy, thereby leading to even more lives saved in the tactical lull that followed the operation. It established a certain measure of deterrence, requiring the enemy to be more circumspect and a greater commitment of his resources. Finally, it was a huge morale booster for the entire country that was reeling under relentless Jihadi attacks.

Gen saab has been on a campaign to gather glory for himself by belittling the surgical strikes and exaggerating his own achievements. Leaves a bad taste.. He needs to provide an account for the lives lost in pointless tactical operations that led to 0 military, political or economic gain.

Strike two on the other hand, looks like a solid tactical and strategic plan. However, the general has committed professional malfeasance by opening his mouth about it. He has alerted the enemy about a possible retribution plan and thus blunted its edge. Really Gen saab, you need to think about penning these asinine missives.
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

sudeepj wrote:Strike two on the other hand, looks like a solid tactical and strategic plan. However, the general has committed professional malfeasance by opening his mouth about it. He has alerted the enemy about a possible retribution plan and thus blunted its edge. Really Gen saab, you need to think about penning these asinine missives.
I swear. Has he lost all sense regarding the oaths he swore, merely to fulfill his parochial political objectives regarding the current Govt and political party in power. I lost a lot of respect for this man after his contemptuous references to the elderly security folks who fought hand to hand with the Pathankot terrorists. Now he is giving away classified objectives and operational details - "we didnt mobilize in the plains to con the Pakistanis" etc. Its one thing when India Today or journalists report it. It remains speculation. This man is giving away operational and strategic details. Pathetic.
nam
BRF Oldie

Post by nam »

Just limiting myself to the second plan mentioned in the article, how do we know that it was not carried out? If those attacks were planned in response to Kargil, wonder what we did in response to Parliament and kaluchak attack, with entire IA mobilized?

I am yet to get convinced we lost more than 600+ men in Op Parakram laying mines...
sudeepj
BRFite

Post by sudeepj »

The problem is, these people are not punished when they do things like this. Even one or two punishments and the rest will fall in line. This is the first time I am hearing about the cold start concept being used in the J&K sector. This should have been classified as TOP SECRET and Gen Panag is blurting it out for a few retweets and the political fortunes of his own family. Shame on him and the likes of him.
sudeepj
BRFite

Post by sudeepj »

nam wrote:I am yet to get convinced we lost more than 600+ men in Op Parakram laying mines...
This happened in Rajasthan, Jaisalmer/Bikaner area IIRC. The story I vaguely remember is an entire convoy with mines blew up with that many casualties one single incident. I could be wrong though.. The treatment of the story was rather strange even at that time. It was a one column news item buried inside the newspaper. Weird.
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

sudeepj wrote:The problem is, these people are not punished when they do things like this. Even one or two punishments and the rest will fall in line. This is the first time I am hearing about the cold start concept being used in the J&K sector. This should have been classified as TOP SECRET and Gen Panag is blurting it out for a few retweets and the political fortunes of his own family. Shame on him and the likes of him.
+100. An example needs to be made of this chap and his fellow travelers.
nam
BRF Oldie

Post by nam »

sudeepj wrote:The problem is, these people are not punished when they do things like this. Even one or two punishments and the rest will fall in line. This is the first time I am hearing about the cold start concept being used in the J&K sector. This should have been classified as TOP SECRET and Gen Panag is blurting it out for a few retweets and the political fortunes of his own family. Shame on him and the likes of him.
Land grab on LoC has been going on since 90s. Kargil was no brilliant tactical plan by Mush. It was a large scale version of what we did to Pak on LoC in 90s.. There was a comment by ex IA Gen, where he says we captured a PA post 15 km inside POK in late 80s and it is still with us. In one of the books, it was mentioned couple of years before Kargil, we moved the LoC 1 KM inside PoK.

That is why Pak says we "over-reacted" in Kargil!. It was happening all the time...
nam
BRF Oldie

Post by nam »

sudeepj wrote:
nam wrote:I am yet to get convinced we lost more than 600+ men in Op Parakram laying mines...
This happened in Rajasthan, Jaisalmer/Bikaner area IIRC. The story I vaguely remember is an entire convoy with mines blew up with that many casualties one single incident. I could be wrong though.. The treatment of the story was rather strange even at that time. It was a one column news item buried inside the newspaper. Weird.
There were causalities in mining and de-ming process during Ops Parakaram.

IA seems to removed Ops causalities list from their website. I remember reading under Ops parakaram, causality included from Artillery..

Artillery men don't lay mines.
sudeepj
BRFite

Post by sudeepj »

Karan M wrote:
+100. An example needs to be made of this chap and his fellow travelers.
Karani ji, restricting this to the forum wont help. This needs to be tweeted out on twitter, with the presence of numerous forumites on twitter, this should get at least some visibility. General saab needs to answer a few questions. Did he disclose any top secret operational plans? He tries to bask in the glory of the captains and JCOs serving under him, who launched an assault in -20 degrees celsius weather. A JCO saab paid for the assault with his life. What were the tactical and strategic gains that we got from this operation?
Mihir
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by Mihir »

Thakur_B wrote:
nachiket wrote:I didn't even know that cesspool existed. Seems to be full of jobless JNU students.
Sorry for the OT, but r/india was very centrist a few years back. Then came the purge after 2014. Anyone nationalistic was banned and political shills of certain political parties took over. Full of Pakistanis pretending to be Endians.
I glanced at the sub once or twice in the past ... saw a few folks openly championing the mass-culling UPwallahs and Biharis because they weren't "Westernized". An interesting bunch for sure.
disha
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by disha »

sudarshan wrote:SHQ is kind of queasy. She knows terrorists deserve it, but too much violence, and she'll gross out. Would it be too much for a female viewer, do you think? If so, I might have to go by myself.
Please do tell SHQ that when it comes to verbal surgical strikes on you, there is no dearth of violence. :rotfl:

Their apprehensions are well placed but at the same time it is her patriotic duty and the violence is not much. Yes, the bullets are flying but not gory scenes or scenes where the hero is giving last moment dialogues.
Sid
BRFite

Post by Sid »

nam wrote:
sudeepj wrote:
There were causalities in mining and de-ming process during Ops Parakaram.

IA seems to removed Ops causalities list from their website. I remember reading under Ops parakaram, causality included from Artillery..

Artillery men don't lay mines.
What I was "told" was decade old sitemaps/minefield charts were lost/not available for some sectors. When orders came to deploy some units just walked into our own minefields.

But this is tribal talk, not sure how true it is.
sudarshan
BRF Oldie

Post by sudarshan »

Singha wrote:Take her. Tough but ladies have to suck up the harsh reality too.let her see the plight of the poor girl

Its they who mostly advocate aman and compromises
disha wrote: Please do tell SHQ that when it comes to verbal surgical strikes on you, there is no dearth of violence. :rotfl:

Their apprehensions are well placed but at the same time it is her patriotic duty and the violence is not much. Yes, the bullets are flying but not gory scenes or scenes where the hero is giving last moment dialogues.
She's not much into that aman and compromise thingy. But thanks guys, I think we'll both go.
M_Joshi
BRFite

Post by M_Joshi »

Mihir wrote:
Thakur_B wrote:
I glanced at the sub once or twice in the past ... saw a few folks openly championing the mass-culling UPwallahs and Biharis because they weren't "Westernized". An interesting bunch for sure.
Try https://www.reddit.com/r/bakchodi (total RW)
or
https://www.reddit.com/r/indiaspeaks (right of centre)
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

Raman wrote:How's the josh???
VERY HIGH SIR!!!! :)

How's the Josh? *REAL* Scene on 26 January 2019 Republic Day

fanne
BRF Oldie

Post by fanne »

I think I am going for the third time- first in my life, cannot have enough of it.
Mollick.R
BRFite

Post by Mollick.R »

After a considerably long train journey reached my hometown yesterday at 1300 Hrs. Better half couldn't go theatre with tiny one, so I took excuse (which she happily accepted) and I ran for the next available show at 1630 hrs.

The movie was awesome & so was the public mood inside theatre. Acting of lead VK is top knotch & needs no further certifications.
Cinematography, CQB scenes, costumes & gears , proper handling and movement with arms by actors all are shown best till now for any desi movie. Now I can comfortably say that URI will be on rank No.1 in my Bollywood war/military list (other two are Border & Lakshya).

May go once again if time permits

How's the Josh ???
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

Urban elites and laymen are getting good expisure to the kind of creatures crawling around “outside the wire” as it were

I remember the speech the marine colonel gave to newbies on pandora