Latest Chinese boast: should we shiver or die laughing?

The Military Issues & History Forum is a venue to discuss issues relating to the military aspects of the Indian Armed Forces, whether the past, present or future. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Manish_P
BRF Oldie

Re: Latest Chinese boast: should we shiver or die laughing?

Post by Manish_P »

shiv wrote:
I am sure a lot of Chinese children get eliminated from joining the PLA if they have Myopia. But those who become myopic after joining will need glasses

Reading instruments, sighting one's rifle etc are a problem for people who need glasses
Shiv ji. You must have seen their spate of new achievements announcements... EMALs, Stealth, Teleportation... now after reading your post next week they will announce a new techonology in advanced stage of development - automatic sights which in real-time adjust to take in account the myopia of the soldier to ensure a bulls-eye :wink:
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

No wonder the PLA is reducing recruitment
http://www.scmp.com/magazines/post-maga ... tion-being
“Alarmingly, more than 80 per cent of the entire adult population will be myopic within the next 30 years,” say the PolyU researchers, and their study also found that the prevalence of myopia in Chinese children is noticeably higher than among other ethnic groups in Hong Kong.
salaam
BRFite

Post by salaam »

shiv wrote:Thanks for the suggestions. I have too many backups of too many things in duplicate and triplicate. I have 8 HDDs sitting in the cupboard ranging from 160 GB to 500 GB all working all changed before a disk crash occurred. Add 3 external drives totalling 1.5 TB. It should be illegal to have more storage than sense

This was a 15 month old 1 TB drive where the Linux partition and GRUB boot area got corrupted by a power surge and was unrecoverable using every trick and recovery method in the book. The other 3 partitions on the disk with data were untouched I had everything backed up except GE placemarks because.
a) I did not expect the disk to crash so soon
b) It was not important enough
Have a look at this. Disks are hot swappable and you can choose a raid configuration of your liking. 1-2 disk failures can be tolerated, depending how much space you want and Raid configuration level.

QNAP TS-451+ 4-Bay Next Gen Personal Cloud NAS, Intel 2.0GHz Quad-Core CPU with Media Transcoding https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015VNLGF8/re ... Hzb1Z829ZA
Guddu
BRFite

Post by Guddu »

Myopia in Chinese likely reflects the population being studied, select univ students, many will be myopic, select country boys/gals, likely fewer myopics.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Yes but increasing technology requires education and good eyesight for people in the Chinese armed forces.

Images of Chinese children show many with glasses. PLA images show very few. What are the PLA hiding? Most images are not "candid". They are parades or propagandu pics where people are selected to appear uniform
Rudradev
BRF Oldie

Post by Rudradev »

Shiv there is always lasik. Not costly these days. I myself couldn't join the armed forces as I had always wanted because of severe myopia (wore glasses since 7 years old) and by the time lasik became available to me, I had chosen another path in life and was already too old. But I'm sure there must be whole factories of lasik providers in Cheen for their kids to avail of.

And it's stunningly effective. I had 20-20 vision in both eyes for 16 years after lasik.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

perhaps like ashkenazi jews are more prone to certain problems rare in other populations, so too the yindu for cardiac issues, so too the Sinic dna strands are setting up for eye issues? maybe higher levels of smog/pollution in the big cheen cities impact younger kids?
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Im looking for some information about what the PLA is doing about recruits who are coming in with myopia in large numbers
manjgu
BRF Oldie

Post by manjgu »

i was watching a vid on tank biathlon 2017...they panned the camera on the chinese contingent and a very large no of people had specs !!! looked a bit abnormal ...
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

So just how far are the Chinese from Delhi? It would be a travesty if they at least cannot smell chaat.
abhik
BRF Oldie

Post by abhik »

One sees US army soldiers wearing glasses, not sure if these are rear echelon guys.
YashG
BRFite

Post by YashG »

Full Scale war with China likely soon!?

http://indiatoday.intoday.in/story/full ... 19794.html

Usually if a Chinese media says this - I wouldn't be surprised (btw it already is pointing to some action in two weeks) but Meghnad Desai is a fairly respected man and I really wonder why his reading is that a war is imminent. WW2 started off from a silly assasnation of archduke of Italy. Things on ground do not suggest China has much to gain. If US were to drop in its hat in the ring - its even worse. Why would then a full sclae war be on the horizon?
vina
BRF Oldie
Location: Doing Nijikaran, Udharikaran and Baazarikaran to Commies and Assorted Leftists

Post by vina »

Singha wrote:perhaps like ashkenazi jews are more prone to certain problems rare in other populations, so too the yindu for cardiac issues, so too the Sinic dna strands are setting up for eye issues? maybe higher levels of smog/pollution in the big cheen cities impact younger kids?
Its genetic. The Chinese have a big predisposition to wearing glasses. In Singapore , if you notice the population , the percentage wearing glasses (even as kids) will be whoppingly high. This was noticed by the Brits when they were there even pre WWII and hence the "stereotype" of "Asians" having defective vision, until the Japanese Kicked their Mushrrafs in WWII.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

YashG wrote:If US were to drop in its hat in the ring
I am not sure why a lot of people keep bringing the US into the picture. The US will not join a war between India and China.
sum
BRF Oldie

Post by sum »

vina wrote:Its genetic. The Chinese have a big predisposition to wearing glasses. In Singapore , if you notice the population , the percentage wearing glasses (even as kids) will be whoppingly high. This was noticed by the Brits when they were there even pre WWII and hence the "stereotype" of "Asians" having defective vision, until the Japanese Kicked their Mushrrafs in WWII.
Same in Korea too. Huge numbers of kids seem to be on glasses
YashG
BRFite

Post by YashG »

shiv wrote:
YashG wrote:If US were to drop in its hat in the ring
I am not sure why a lot of people keep bringing the US into the picture. The US will not join a war between India and China.
No, Its not me who's brininging US into the picture, the story I posted - its Meghnad Desai who brought US into the picture. I dont see a lot of likelihood of what he says but again this guy aint a Chinese propagandist infact in his previous comments on China ha has been the opposite.

What I do wonder and want to discuss is why would some sane like him feel that we're close to the war. Ground reality suggests otherwise - Is there something we're missing to look at?

---------------
Also would like to add this amazing peice of geo-politcal commentary - I think most of the things this guys say make sense.
http://www.business-standard.com/articl ... 119_1.html

This commentary to summarize says:
#1. Chinese didnt expect the strong Indian response (expected) but more importantly China will take lessons from Doklam far beyond the immediate border - (My take: this will be interesting - I hope they dont take the wrong lessons - which they may very likely)
#2. India aint at a disadvantage at the border but it is in bigger geo-economical games that China plays - India should tackle that innovatively
#3. China is not making the sacrifices that it should in order to occupy the leadership vaccuum US is leaving. ( I always thought so, Chinses are too myopic & transactional to build long lasting relationships - If you see its deepest relationships are with failed states - Pakistan & NoKo :D . India atlest has good ties with Israel, Bhutan, Japan, Russia & so on)
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

YashG wrote: its Meghnad Desai who brought US into the picture. I dont see a lot of likelihood of what he says but again this guy aint a Chinese propagandist infact in his previous comments on China ha has been the opposite.

What I do wonder and want to discuss is why would some sane like him feel that we're close to the war.
Desai is not necessarily in touch with ground reality in India - vide his views on demonetization and nationalism.
Demonetisation torpedoed India’s economy just when it was getting into a cruise mode,
Meghnad Desai explains the fallacies in the idea of Hindu nationalism
In a new essay, the economics professor from the LSE highlights the flaws in this version of history.
Personally I don't bother reading what some Brit lord says. When there is a border standoff between India and China -war is always on the cards and those who predict war will say " I told you so" if it happens and those who say "there will be no war" will say "I told you so" if there is no war. So no single person will know more than anyone else.
pankajs
BRF Oldie

Post by pankajs »

[quote="YashG]Also would like to add this amazing peice of geo-politcal commentary - I think most of the things this guys say make sense. http://www.business-standard.com/articl ... 119_1.html[/quote]

My comment is with regards the jurno. Let me list the question that clearly has a slant.
1. How do you think the Trump administration would react in case hostilities were to break out on the India-China border? [1st level > Will America save India from the invading Chinese hordes? 2nd level> What has Modi done picking a fight with a stronger neighbor?]

2. How do you see the larger game between India and China playing out in the medium and long term given the gap between the two countries in terms of military strength, nuclear warheads, income levels, even life expectancy?[1st level > What has Modi done picking a fight with a stronger neighbor? Can't he see the gap in the life expectancy? What chance does India have with that gap in life expectancy?]
YashG
BRFite

Post by YashG »

pankajs wrote:[quote="YashG]Also would like to add this amazing peice of geo-politcal commentary - I think most of the things this guys say make sense. http://www.business-standard.com/articl ... 119_1.html
My comment is with regards the jurno. Let me list the question that clearly has a slant.
1. How do you think the Trump administration would react in case hostilities were to break out on the India-China border? [1st level > Will America save India from the invading Chinese hordes? 2nd level> What has Modi done picking a fight with a stronger neighbor?]

2. How do you see the larger game between India and China playing out in the medium and long term given the gap between the two countries in terms of military strength, nuclear warheads, income levels, even life expectancy?[1st level > What has Modi done picking a fight with a stronger neighbor? Can't he see the gap in the life expectancy? What chance does India have with that gap in life expectancy?][/quote][/quote]

I didnt read any anti-modi slant in her question - but we can agree to disagree on that. More important for me were Andrews' reponses - which calibrate well with what has been my general understanding. He sees the standoff as an event with which Beijing will calibrate its responses after they were caught on the wrong foot. He does categorically alludes to a miscalculation on the part of Beijing.

What remains to be seen is how will Beijing build this into its policy calculus? #1. Will its allow India a greater share of Strategic space and Cooperate? ( which if happens will surprise me)
#2. Will it punish India in the economic sphere in South Asia & beyond including through OBOR?
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

YashG wrote: #2. Will it punish India in the economic sphere in South Asia & beyond including through OBOR?
I saw comments in another China thread about the spectacular success China has had in coercing SE Asian nations to water down a whine in relation to China and that gave me a thought.

How far can a nation like China push India and get away with it.

I see a number of narratives about China that imply guile, patience blah blah blah. "the Chinese are patient and will wit for aeons"
"The Chinese play a board game called wingwangwong or something where they surround the opponent"

yeah yeah yeah and all that. But
1. The Chinese have armed Pakistan against India and given them nukes
2. The Chinese have opposed India's entry to NSG
3. The Chinese oppose any expansion of UNSC that does not include shitistan
4. The Chinese are not allowing that Paki terrorist to be named and shamed by UN
5. The Chinese are hopping mad about Doklam
6. the Chinese this. the Chinese that...

At some point there is no more they can do other than get into a war. And they will have to win that war hands down. This is not going to go well for them

Talk about nuclear weapons is trash because they might drop 200 nukes and finish India off, but 20 Indian nukes on China plus the political fallout of nuclear war will finish China off as numero uno forever.
Kashi
BRF Oldie

Post by Kashi »

sum wrote:Same in Korea too. Huge numbers of kids seem to be on glasses
Japanese kids seem to be OK though..
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Even for ASEAN nations that seem to be keeling over in front of Chinese might (as per reports) there will be some limits as to how far the Chinese can go.

Taiwan is an interesting story. Red China, it is asserted, can take over Taiwan any moment. The Taiwanese too know that they cannot hold out against a Chinese assault for very long. So why doesn't China take Taiwan over. let me make the excuses for you
  • Oh you don't know the Chinese. They are full of guile. They will wait for an international crisis where the US is busy and grab Taiwan
  • The Chinese - boy on boy - they have infinite patience. they will wait decades or centuries, but they will get what they want (duh-what?)
  • The Chinese live their strategy like their board game dingallawonga (or whatever)
Fact is China is not going to take over Taiwan anytime soon.

What about bullying other countries about resources. OK China is bullying and they are being bullied. How long is that going to continue. A nation has a degree of self pride that the Chinese must assuage and give them something in return. If not there will be a blowback at some time. Japan, Korea and Vietnam are not total pushovers. Maybe the Philippines is. North Korea is one country that has been pushed so far that neither the US nor China can do anything much without profound geopolitical consequences (I won't go beyond this general term)

If ASEAN nations are, as alleged by someone "not taking advantage" of the Doklam standoff it only means they have not been pushed as far by China as we fondly like to think they have.

The idea that "Myanmar: is under the Chinese sphere of influence as is Sri Lanka ignores the fact that China can do jackshit to help these countries if India decides to apply pressure on them. Let me rephrase that. It's not that China cannot do anything. They can - but no point in dismissing eveyrone else including India as complete pushovers

There is a tendency to magnify China in relation ot ourselves and other countries - and a Church Hymn that I had to sing as a schoolboy rings in my mind
o magnify The Lo-ord -er China with me
With me exalt His name er China's name
The European and Americans do not want to get into a war on the scale they had from 1914 to 1945. The Japanese too won't want that. The Chinese could miscalculate - having only gone into small wars and won a stupid brownie versus India. If the Chinese miscalculate their patience and skill at the bolyygillywong board game won;t help them. Even North Korea is no pushover. Let alone India. They can boast as much as they want.

I had a few fistfights in school and I will always recall a friend (now in Amreeka) who was always on my side who said "It's OK if they bash me up, but I'll make sure I'll hit them so hard they will never forget. I will at least break a jaw". The Chinese, after a period of provoking India ceaselessly are asking for it. This is a time to get ready to fight them and not talk peace.
YashG
BRFite

Post by YashG »

shiv wrote:
Taiwan is an interesting story. Red China, it is asserted, can take over Taiwan any moment. The Taiwanese too know that they cannot hold out against a Chinese assault for very long. So why doesn't China take Taiwan over. let me make the excuses for you
I have another theory here - why China would want to avoid wars - its the way power balance & Gini index are in China. Let me explain how. The distribution of power & wealth in China is very extreme unlike India. In an event of war, those at the top of the food chain in China will loose a lot lot more than the avg guy in India. Post war - China's governing structure could collapse -#1 due to economic pressures, #2 Leverage Western nations will wield. This would further worsen off the losses for elites in China.

Elites in China consolidate power by playing to the internal gallery - the war rhetoric against India is a result of playing to the same gallery. But a war would take away those power gains, the very gains that would have accrued due to war rhetoric!
RCase
BRF Oldie

Post by RCase »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQ-RJTHC4yU

Posting here as we don't have a BENIS equivalent for Cheeni Blothel.
Video is about cultural cross pollination and how China has absorbed quite a bit from India and not vice-versa.
The desi guy seems apologetic and doing a dhoti shiver.
More humorous is the Chinese guy, Victor Gao, glibly lying his way and making snide insinuations about India/ Indians:
- Chinese were great record keepers. (What about CR?). Indians were not great record keepers!
- Buddhism started in 'Nepal' and spread to India and then to rest of the world.
- India is fragmented and there is no unifying culture, whereas Chinese were homogenous with language and Culture (Wasn't Mao the one to shove Mandarin down everyones throat? There is no such thing as 'THE Chinese language').
- Tourism - India needs to have better infrastructure, transportation, safe drinking water etc. (why not state the obvious that the Chinese are pretty racist. India gets tourists from western countries, who have managed to put up with the above mentioned irritants, but generally are extremely happy with their visit).

I am so glad that these lizards were historically limited in their access to India by the Himalayas, else there would have been dash-lines all over the subcontinent and dubious territorial claims.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Praveen Swamy
http://indianexpress.com/article/explai ... m-4796971/

There are more than a few, moreover, who are sceptical of the combat qualities of this new cohort of PLA officers — products of China’s one-child policy, which spawned a generation derisively referred to as “Little Emperors”. PLA newspapers are replete with stories of new recruits using boarding-school tricks like spitting out red ink to avoid training.

I’d hide under my blanket and cry every night,” former cadet Sun Youpeng, who joined the PLA after graduating from university at the age of 22, told Minnie Chan of the South China Morning Post in 2014.

Liu Mingfu, a scholar at China’s National Defence University, estimated in a 2012 report that 70% of the PLA’s troops were only sons — a number rising to 80% among combat troops. In a country with a growing cohort of aged people, with ancient cultural norms against sending only sons to war, the consequences could be significant, Liu noted.
In some cases, the crisis of morale bred low farce: elements of the 67th Army, on their way out of Laoshan, demanded $ 1,500 from their 47th Army replacements for all intelligence on enemy positions and firepower. In another case, an armoured unit which did not receive care packages despatched its tanks to surround an infantry division headquarters and demand its share.
“Let our field armies touch the buttocks of a tiger,”
Yeah sure. kiss my butt
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Chinese lady puts Cruciatus curse on Indian
https://youtu.be/ZXlmhEJ4VlM
Prasad
BRF Oldie

Post by Prasad »

Now put together the Swamy article there and the presence, necessity rather, of a commissar at doklam to givvy up the border guards to up morale against our Jatt, Sikh soldiers..
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

YashG
BRFite

Post by YashG »

The guy forgets to add that 70% of the Chinese army consists of single sons - not exactly ready to die.
On some of the points Indian Army also may not come clean though!
YashG
BRFite

Post by YashG »

http://www.ndtv.com/opinion/in-dealing- ... ns-1738227

There is a subtle dhoti shiver here. As written before so many times, Indian media should really stop their dhoti shiver.
Let me summarise the argument here - Both India & China will not withdraw from Doklam - so a solution aint in sight. So Either Modi has something up his sleeve or he is playing wait & watch. The author then somehow assumes that 'wait & watch' is not good for India. So the author puts forward a few things Modi could do to solve the situation & then argues why any of his proposed solutions will not work - so India will have to 'wait & watch'. Which is pre-assumed as a position India should somehow avoid or is defeating for India. A convoluted reason put forward is that - Doklam is not the end, Chinese will keep poking on border & India cant control their response - so India should be afraid. Somehow not being able to control China's response is India's problem more than its Chinese.

Not being able to diffuse Doklam, 'Wait & Watch' are things that would show China in a poorer light - more than India. After painting itself into a corner on Doklam, 'wait & watch' is more reputation killing for China then India. If anything 'Wait & Watch' or Status Quo is better for India - second best, firstbeing China's total withdrawal.

I'm :?: :shock: at the implied dhoti shiver from Indian journos!
Kashi
BRF Oldie

Post by Kashi »

Look at the author's name and you'll see this is not analysis but his wet dream and desperation mixed into one.

'Simon' Sharma wants Modi and GoI to fail badly at this and even if they don't fail, he'll try and spin it as if GoI and Modi in particular have failed...
sanjaykumar
BRF Oldie

Post by sanjaykumar »

Whoa, the Chinese lady is doing a great simulacrum of a wild animal.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

YashG wrote:The guy forgets to add that 70% of the Chinese army consists of single sons - not exactly ready to die.
Yash Saar....

China is quietly developing an all-women fighting force
http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/new ... 102391.cms
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Rakesh wrote:
YashG wrote:The guy forgets to add that 70% of the Chinese army consists of single sons - not exactly ready to die.
Yash Saar....

China is quietly developing an all-women fighting force
http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/new ... 102391.cms
..there! Single son plobrem sorved!

Jokes apart - this is an intelesting move and may have something to do with demographics. But the humorous side keeps popping up. One reports said that Chinese men are getting too fat for their tanks so they are trying to make the seats/access bigger. Maybe wimmens will fit in better so no modifications are needed?

I may be wrong but myopia may be a little less common among Chinese wimmens? I guess - after throwing stones - PLA is going to throw eye-candy at the Indian army
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

Hakeem-ji...you may be on to something on the demographics issue. This one child policy has come to bite them in the ass.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

After watching that video, I am dying laughing :rotfl: :lol: :rotfl:

How childish can the Chinese get? :D
Gagan
BRF Oldie

Post by Gagan »

China remains a VERY misogynistic society. They want sons400%, not daughters.

The glandpalents and palents are not willing to let the famiry helitage - son to go and die of flostbite in Tibet.

They are OK with sending daughtels to do so...
Gagan
BRF Oldie

Post by Gagan »

Rakesh wrote:After watching that video, I am dying laughing :rotfl: :lol: :rotfl:

Having a media that is only used for Proagandoo, and no foreign media allowed with unfettered telecasting rights, has its advantages and then its problems

The advantage is tight control over news and propadanda. There are massive protests ongoing in China, which range from political, economic etc, but they are hiding it.

A very big disadvantage is that the protected media does not become mature - they might become flashy and have HD transmission, but the content is Childish and propagandoo-ist as we can see.
Atmavik
BRFite

Post by Atmavik »

Rakesh wrote:After watching that video, I am dying laughing :rotfl: :lol: :rotfl:

This video was published to platforms that are banned in China. they also use american terms like 911. lots indians making of jokes about these facts on twitter but the chaptas will never see them