Indian Naval Aviation

The Military Issues & History Forum is a venue to discuss issues relating to the military aspects of the Indian Armed Forces, whether the past, present or future. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
hnair
Forum Moderator

Re: Indian Naval Aviation

Post by hnair »

Cyrano, please be aware of difference between AMCA and TEDBF.
Bala Vignesh
BRF Oldie

Post by Bala Vignesh »

The missing IFR probe seems like a glaring mistake to me. All the renders I have seen so far do not show an IFR.
Maria
BRFite

Post by Maria »

Hello All,

Can anyone tell me why this iteration of the LCA is also capped at Mach 1.6?

I thought the TEDBF is a high sea interceptor and not a point defence fighter.
Manish_P
BRF Oldie

Post by Manish_P »

Do combat loaded aircraft fly over mach 2 that much?

IIRC recently there were some reports opened to the general public which showed the mach 2+ capable (clean and high) F15s spent less than 10% operational flying time going over even mach 1.
Pratyush
BRF Oldie

Post by Pratyush »

Speed is related to the performance of air to air missile launch and subsequent performance.

Along with the ability to evade enemies air defence.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Bala Vignesh wrote:The missing IFR probe seems like a glaring mistake to me. All the renders I have seen so far do not show an IFR.

Wouldnt IFR conflict with the radome G requirement for low observable?
Most likely IFR would be retractable.

Kartik so if this is PDR then wat are the next steps?

Please list them for our education.
Thanks, ramana

Is IN involved with the PDR?
titash
BRFite

Post by titash »

Some people must have noticed that Rahul Bedi no longer is the Jane's correspondent for India. Has resulted in a marked reduction in critical text that Rahul Bedi would always insert, that would claim this or that negative thing about indigenous developments.
Bedi-man does his BS-ing on Sidharth Varadarajan’s The Wire these days…possibly the most vile Modi-phobic, Hindu-phobic, and India-phobic “news” portal there is

Birds of a feather flock together
Kartik
BRF Oldie

Post by Kartik »

Bala Vignesh wrote:The missing IFR probe seems like a glaring mistake to me. All the renders I have seen so far do not show an IFR.
Will most likely be a retractable probe. Not putting one on a model doesn't mean that it's omitted!
Kartik
BRF Oldie

Post by Kartik »

Maria wrote:Hello All,

Can anyone tell me why this iteration of the LCA is also capped at Mach 1.6?

I thought the TEDBF is a high sea interceptor and not a point defence fighter.
Fixed intakes versus movable intakes primarily. Besides, Mach 1.6 is plenty..if it wasn't the users (the IN in this case) would clearly set their requirements accordingly.

What makes you think it is a point defence fighter?! It's bigger than a Rafale for God's sake!
Kartik
BRF Oldie

Post by Kartik »

ramana wrote:

Wouldnt IFR conflict with the radome G requirement for low observable?
Most likely IFR would be retractable.

Kartik so if this is PDR then wat are the next steps?

Please list them for our education.
Thanks, ramana

Retractable probe will adequately take care of low observable requirements.

Ramana ji, PDR completion would basically mean that the design OML is for all intents and purposes frozen and the system and sub-system level design is also mostly done. Many of the drawings would be ready and some of the documentation would be either in work or ready. Aircraft design is such a multi-disciplinary thing, with CFD, Wind tunnel results, electrical design, structural design and stress analysis, manufacturing constraints, engine dynamics, etc..all these have to be thought of and a representation made to the relevant authorities by the TEDBF teams.

The IN is most definitely going to be deeply involved in the Preliminary Design Review, since peer reviews are a part and parcel of such reviews. The various systems and sub-systems are all reviewed and if found suitable, given the go ahead. My participation in such reviews during my time on a couple of civilian aircraft programs was as a stress engineer, but I clearly recall the level of details that were presented to the authorities, which in that case involved FAA representatives. In the TEDBF's case it'll be CEMILAC folks that will also be involved to ensure that certification regulations have been adhered to.

Once clearance is given, the teams would then go into detailed design of several parts, systems, structures, etc. The next goal would then be to get it all done and ready by the time the CDR is scheduled.
Kartik
BRF Oldie

Post by Kartik »

naraswami wrote:
ramana wrote:
Both the end customer IN (product requirements) and production partner are involved and have significant approval authority - less at CDR (Conceptual) but more so at PDR (Preliminary). Many times CDRs/PDRs are passed with provisional items/actions to be completed on a branch (and reviewed for closure later) that need more work so they dont impede progress.

Certainly before PDR freeze, both IN and the production agency has had significant input on induction requirements and manufacturability assessments - and their interface owners/engineers have been working with design teams (ADA) to qualify and estimate compliance with stated product maturation, rollout plans.
CDR stands for Critical Design Review not Conceptual Design Review.. and follows Preliminary Design Review. Not the other way around!

CDR clearance mostly is the last hurdle before prototyping is initiated.
Kartik
BRF Oldie

Post by Kartik »

titash wrote:
Some people must have noticed that Rahul Bedi no longer is the Jane's correspondent for India. Has resulted in a marked reduction in critical text that Rahul Bedi would always insert, that would claim this or that negative thing about indigenous developments.
Bedi-man does his BS-ing on Sidharth Varadarajan’s The Wire these days…possibly the most vile Modi-phobic, Hindu-phobic, and India-phobic “news” portal there is

Birds of a feather flock together
Amen to that..glad to see his back from Janes. The Wire and The Caravan are openly anti-Hindu, anti-Modi, anti-BJP.. they don't even bother to try to make it look subtle..
Roop
BRFite

Post by Roop »

naraswami wrote:Karthik - minor nit. my understanding is either of the Design Reviews can be designated as "Critical Design Reviews" - or an inbetween called as a milestone. Any normal product development stage gate process has fixed Conceptual, Prelim, Detailed Design reviews
Kartik is right. As per DoD-STD 2167A practice, the sequence is PDR (Preliminary Design Review), DDR (Detailed Design Review) and CDR (Critical Design Review), in that order. Each DR has, as a necessary prerequisite, the successful completion of any previous reviews as well as successfully implemented Action Items from said reviews. All interested parties (especially including the customer) have to sign off on these prerequisites before the next DR can be contemplated.

I don't know where you get this "conceptual" thing from, but the term doesn't exist as an official milestone in 2167A.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

X-Post from the Joint Military Exercises thread…
Cyrano wrote:Was that a Mig29K landing on CDG ?
I read that it was a touch and go. Landing on the CDG is one thing, but taking off could be dangerous for the pilot.

The CDG uses steam catapult to launch aircraft and the MiG-29K’s airframe is anything but robust. A steam catapult launch from the CDG could severely weaken the MiG-29K airframe.

Disclaimer - Below is my inference only.

Worst case scenario - the aircraft could break up on launch. A scenario best avoided. Ski jump take off and arrestor landing on the Vikramaditya has done quite a number on the airframe, just imagine what a catapult launch will do. Perhaps they can dial down the pressure from the steam catapult to permit a take off, but I am guessing now.

The Russians surely hamstrung us on this entire purchase. The Vikramaditya is back out at sea. Let’s see how long she lasts before she has to go back in again.

Ex Varuna 2023 was a familiarization experience for the MiG-29K air and ground crew on the Rafale M which is reportedly the navy’s choice of MRCBF. I heard that a number of this A&G crew went aboard the CDG to see the Rafale M up close.

This would make sense as the Vikrant is due for her first operational deployment in August 2023 and reportedly the French Navy are willing to lease a few Rafale Ms from their own limited stock of 40+ airframes till the Indian ones arrive.

Would be embarrassing to have the Vikrant head out for her first deployment without any reliable naval fighters.
asbchakri
BRFite

Post by asbchakri »

Rakesh wrote:
This would make sense as the Vikrant is due for her first operational deployment in August 2023 and reportedly the French Navy are willing to lease a few Rafale Ms from their own limited stock of 40+ airframes till the Indian ones arrive.
So any Idea on how many can the French be willing to Lease. Since the CDG needs a min of 30, will they be willing to lease the remaining 10.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

There were reports of 4 - 5 aircraft, but will have to wait for an official announcement.
asbchakri
BRFite

Post by asbchakri »

Rakesh wrote:There were reports of 4 - 5 aircraft, but will have to wait for an official announcement.
I guess it also depends on how much will the lease cost and how much we are prepared to budget for it.
fanne
BRF Oldie

Post by fanne »

i think the french said they will give 3. Do not know where other numbers are coming from.
Cyrano
BRF Oldie

Post by Cyrano »

I'm for ordering half a squadron of NLCAs which have proven themselves on carrier landings and take offs, as a plan B solution to train pilots and crews on carrier ops on Vicky and Vikrant. They may have a lot of limitations but if we dont put them into the roles envisaged for Rafale M or Mig 29K, and use them as advanced carrier compatible trainers + a limited role fighter, then whats the problem. Sea Hawk and Sea Harrier were single engine, weren't they ?

Even currently trained pilots need practice, at some point of time they will retire. How will we train pilots & crews for 2 carriers, perhaps even a third? On SBTF only ? Or in foreign lands ? Or in shiny new Rafales whenever they come and wear out their life in the process?

Even a short legged NLCA is preferable to sailing Vikrant out to sea without any fighters to carry.
JMT...
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

Tweet is from the former C-in-C Western and Southern Naval Command, Indian Navy.

https://twitter.com/girish_luthra/statu ... R9YuHhwtEg ---> Grateful for the opportunity to spend some time with a very professional and spirited team of Indian Navy's new multi-role helicopters, MH-60R.

Kartik
BRF Oldie

Post by Kartik »

Rakesh wrote:X-Post from the Joint Military Exercises thread…
Cyrano wrote:Was that a Mig29K landing on CDG ?
I read that it was a touch and go. Landing on the CDG is one thing, but taking off could be dangerous for the pilot.

The CDG uses steam catapult to launch aircraft and the MiG-29K’s airframe is anything but robust. A steam catapult launch from the CDG could severely weaken the MiG-29K airframe.

Disclaimer - Below is my inference only.

Worst case scenario - the aircraft could break up on launch. A scenario best avoided. Ski jump take off and arrestor landing on the Vikramaditya has done quite a number on the airframe, just imagine what a catapult launch will do. Perhaps they can dial down the pressure from the steam catapult to permit a take off, but I am guessing now.
A MiG-29K cannot be launched using the steam catapult! It lacks the type of nose wheel arrangement (launch bar and hold back bar) that all catapult launched fighters have, that allows for it to be launched using a steam/EM catapult. It's nose wheel, as well as that of the Naval LCA are simpler, being designed for STOBAR.

The launch bar on the nose wheel of CATOBAR fighters and aircraft hooks onto the catapult's shuttle, which is the part of the catapult that drags the airplane forward when released.

Besides, it requires careful calibration of the steam catapult to know exactly what pressure of steam would be required to catapult any given fighter into the air. It would never be attempted for the first time off a deck without studies being done to understand this requirement.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

Thanks Kartik for making it amply clear why the MiG-29K cannot be launched using a steam catapult.

I was told that the MiG-29K did do a touch and go or something to that effect on the CDG. Hopefully somebody made a video of that event and it pops up on YouTube or Twitter.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

https://twitter.com/lca_tejas_/status/1 ... RA9IKDyGMQ ---> Indian Navy MH-60R Romeo. Photo by Brandon Thetford.

Barath
BRFite

Post by Barath »

Rakesh wrote:Thanks Kartik for making it amply clear why the MiG-29K cannot be launched using a steam catapult.

I was told that the MiG-29K did do a touch and go or something to that effect on the CDG. Hopefully somebody made a video of that event and it pops up on YouTube or Twitter.
https://youtu.be/QHkyl9Ekfss?t=61 Pics..
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

A nice picture of a line up of MiG-29Ks, likely at INS Hansa in Dabolim, Goa.

Image Source: https://www.ajaishukla.com/2023/02/defe ... f-gdp.html

ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Cyrano wrote:I'm for ordering half a squadron of NLCAs which have proven themselves on carrier landings and take offs, as a plan B solution to train pilots and crews on carrier ops on Vicky and Vikrant. They may have a lot of limitations but if we dont put them into the roles envisaged for Rafale M or Mig 29K, and use them as advanced carrier compatible trainers + a limited role fighter, then whats the problem. Sea Hawk and Sea Harrier were single engine, weren't they ?

Even currently trained pilots need practice, at some point of time they will retire. How will we train pilots & crews for 2 carriers, perhaps even a third? On SBTF only ? Or in foreign lands ? Or in shiny new Rafales whenever they come and wear out their life in the process?

Even a short legged NLCA is preferable to sailing Vikrant out to sea without any fighters to carry.
JMT...
Cyrano, Two things. The fuel capacity and excess weight for the landing gear area. This was done to be conservative. The second big thing is engines. All F404 engines are spoken for.
Same effort spent in fast tracking the TEDBF is better spent.
MeshaVishwas
BRFite

Post by MeshaVishwas »

Livefist replying to member @KSingh on Twitter, confirms that Katrina in swimwear incoming.
https://twitter.com/livefist/status/162 ... 90880?s=20
Here is the full story:
Indian Navy Greenflags Rafale In Deck Jet Contest
Pen to paper expected this year as per this report.
Last edited by MeshaVishwas on 15 Feb 2023 20:29, edited 1 time in total.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

MeshaVishwas wrote:Livefist replying to member @KSingh on Twitter, confirms that Katrina in swimwear incoming.
https://twitter.com/livefist/status/162 ... 90880?s=20
Saar, we need to find this story. Shiv Aroor is stating that he met with Admirals of the Indian Navy at Aero India 2023, who confirmed to him that the Rafale M has won the MRCBF contest. I find it surprising that the Navy will reveal this to a member of the press before releasing an official announcement. Will wait for official confirmation.

https://twitter.com/VivekSi85847001/sta ... 14788?s=20 ---> According to Livefist India Today story, what he get from Top Brass of Navy during Aero India that Navy has Green Signal Rafale M to the MOD.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

From the Livefist twitter account....that is the Vice Chief of Naval Staff, Vice Admiral SN Ghormade, at Aero India 2023. The Vice Chief has been the most vocal on the MRCBF contest to date.

https://twitter.com/livefist/status/162 ... 70818?s=20 ---> The Indian Navy Vice Chief gets a briefing at the MBDA stand at Aero India 23. MBDA products contend in a slew of naval contests including P-75I, naval SRSAM, anti-ship, Rafale/M, et al.

Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

@Mesha Saar: Check this out :)

If what Livefist is reporting is true, wow is all I can say.

Indian Navy Greenflags Rafale In Deck Jet Contest
https://www.livefistdefence.com/indian- ... t-contest/
15 Feb 2023
Livefist can confirm that the Indian Navy has formally indicated to the Indian Ministry of Defence that the Rafale meets more of its requirements than the only other contender in the fray, Boeing’s F/A-18 Super Hornet. While Indian defence contracting has been notorious for the distance — and pitfalls — between contest win and contract award, top Indian Navy sources said that the Rafale “has this one”.
Indications of the Super Hornet being edged out by the Rafale come after years of headwinds where both competing aircraft have fought to prove compatibility with the Indian Navy’s aircraft carriers. It appears that by the end, the Rafale merely proved to be more compatible than the F/A-18, though the finer details of the analysis are unclear.
Manish_P
BRF Oldie

Post by Manish_P »

Is that the reason for the Lightning strike in this Aero India.. :D

Kind of like 'hey guys check what is next in line for you if you go for the rhinos'
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

Manish_P wrote:Is that the reason for the Lightning strike in this Aero India.. :D

Kind of like 'hey guys check what is next in line for you if you go for the rhinos'
Visit this ---> viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7634&start=2880#p2579354
Manish_P
BRF Oldie

Post by Manish_P »

Rakesh wrote:
Manish_P wrote:Is that the reason for the Lightning strike in this Aero India.. :D

Visit this ---> viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7634&start=2880#p2579354
Ah. So it's about the reptile more than the mammal.

Too much arrogance on part of the cowboys if they thought that we, the original snake charmers, would be awed by a viper...
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

:lol: Good one Saar.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

From the link...

https://www.financialexpress.com/defenc ... f/2979870/
Q. There are reports that there are servicing problems with the MH-60R helicopters. Your comments.

A. Sikorsky, a Lockheed Martin Company, has delivered the first six MH-60R maritime helicopters to the Indian Navy within just three years. In that same timeframe, the US Navy has trained a squadron of IN pilots using three aircraft in San Diego, California. Introduction of the second batch of three aircraft in Kochi is underway. The balance of the 24 aircraft will be delivered to the US Navy through 2024. For specific questions, we would request you to kindly refer this to the Indian and US Navies since the MH-60R contract is under the Foreign Military Sales program of the US Government.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

https://twitter.com/AdithyaKM_/status/1 ... 62016?s=20 ---> Brochure for CABS MRMR aircraft being developed for the Indian Navy & MMMA aircraft for the Indian Coast Guard. Both are based on the Airbus C-295.

Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

https://twitter.com/AdithyaKM_/status/1 ... 19872?s=20 ---> CABS MRMR & MMMA aircraft will have an EO/IR system for maritime surveillance.