Indian Naval Aviation

The Military Issues & History Forum is a venue to discuss issues relating to the military aspects of the Indian Armed Forces, whether the past, present or future. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
KSingh
BRFite

Re: Indian Naval Aviation

Post by KSingh »

basant wrote:From Mk2 thread.

KSingh, the second link you posted is especially informative. Thank you!

Not to miss in the entire saga is the point on which many criticized IN was 0.5t overweight for AUW, one of the 2 specs that could not be met (the other being blade folding). This made no sense whatsoever that given that we are talking of Navy, and not some 64t MBT trying to cross canals and rivers! Now let's wait and see. Hopefully, IN will stand up to its reputation for indigenization.
The AUW NSQR always stuck out to me as highly suspicious. One can understand the need for stowed dimensions to be set in stone- space is finite on ships. But weight? And that too all up weight not empty weight (remember Panther is heavier than ALH empty) is SO bizarre. AUW includes basic empty weight, fuel and payload so it can be plated around with by adding/removing payload/fuel.

Leaving that aside, we know the IN loosened the AUW stipulations from 4 to 5 ton to allow the S76D to take part(?) but knowing the ALH’s AUW is 5.5-7 ton they used this as a reason not to consider ALH. I’m not a naval expert but am I to believe the additional half ton or so would have caused the ship to flip over?

It’s just never made sense to me
Pratyush
BRF Oldie

Post by Pratyush »

Playing the devil's advocate, the helicopter Deck was rated for specific weight and NALH was going beyond the safety margins of the helicopter Deck.

But I am going to discount this possibility. As most of the ships of the Indian Navy are rated for a 10 ton helicopter.
ldev
BRF Oldie

Post by ldev »

kit wrote: so that is theoretical, given that India does not deploy any CATOBAR carrier!!

What is the actual payload with a ski jump, comparing the Rafale to F-18?
I guess that is what these trials were determining. If you go by one of the photographs which shows the Super Hornet taking off with 2x Paveways, 4xAAMs and if you assume full internal fuel, that means that in addition to it's empty weight of 32,000 lbs, it was carrying 6,700 lbs of internal fuel and either 5400 lbs of weapons payload or 3400 lbs of weapons payload, depending on whether it was a 2000 lb bomb or 1000 lb bomb. Even if you assume it was the 2000 lb Paveway, then the takeoff weight using the ski jump was ~44,000 lbs, far less than the picture I posted above in which that Superhornet had a gross weight of ~63,000 lbs taking off from a CATOBAR carrier and even in that ultra loaded configuration the Super Hornet was still loaded less than it's maximum takeoff weight of 67,000 lbs.

Given the handicap of launching either of these fighters from India's STOBAR carriers, the fighter that can carry the higher weapons payload after it is already loaded up with max internal fuel will have an advantage in winning the competition. Because of STOBAR's limitations, the max payload that can be lifted in such circumstances has an outsize impact in determining the winner IMO. Because once airborne, IN does not have aerial refueling capacity so there is no flexibility in for instance loading a fighter with a greater weapons payload and then topping up fuel once airborne.
RCase
BRF Oldie

Post by RCase »

ldev wrote:
... <snip>

Given the handicap of launching either of these fighters from India's STOBAR carriers, the fighter that can carry the higher weapons payload after it is already loaded up with max internal fuel will have an advantage in winning the competition. Because of STOBAR's limitations, the max payload that can be lifted in such circumstances has an outsize impact in determining the winner IMO. Because once airborne, IN does not have aerial refueling capacity so there is no flexibility in for instance loading a fighter with a greater weapons payload and then topping up fuel once airborne.
Any reason why IAF tankers cannot assist in refueling? Doesn't the IA call for airstrikes by the IAF in their ground offensives?
KSingh
BRFite

Post by KSingh »

Pratyush wrote:Playing the devil's advocate, the helicopter Deck was rated for specific weight and NALH was going beyond the safety margins of the helicopter Deck.

But I am going to discount this possibility. As most of the ships of the Indian Navy are rated for a 10 ton helicopter.
1) the margins are so tight that 5,000KG is acceptable but not 5,700KG, on 3,000,000KG+++++ vessels?

2) as you said almost every ship in the IN can house the NMRH (Sea King currently; next to be MH60R and the IN’s variant of IMRH will be almost 13,000KG)

3) ICG’s vessels have never had issues integrating with ALH, they right now are embarking the ALH MK.3 in the sea borne role (which IN says ALH is unsuitable for in its current spec)
KSingh
BRFite

Post by KSingh »

ldev wrote:
kit wrote: so that is theoretical, given that India does not deploy any CATOBAR carrier!!

What is the actual payload with a ski jump, comparing the Rafale to F-18?
I guess that is what these trials were determining. If you go by one of the photographs which shows the Super Hornet taking off with 2x Paveways, 4xAAMs and if you assume full internal fuel, that means that in addition to it's empty weight of 32,000 lbs, it was carrying 6,700 lbs of internal fuel and either 5400 lbs of weapons payload or 3400 lbs of weapons payload, depending on whether it was a 2000 lb bomb or 1000 lb bomb. Even if you assume it was the 2000 lb Paveway, then the takeoff weight using the ski jump was ~44,000 lbs, far less than the picture I posted above in which that Superhornet had a gross weight of ~63,000 lbs taking off from a CATOBAR carrier and even in that ultra loaded configuration the Super Hornet was still loaded less than it's maximum takeoff weight of 67,000 lbs.
I.
You can’t even say with certainty that the SH pictured at SBTF were fully loaded with internal fuel. I notice that there were no drop tanks and if you know the SH it goes almost nowhere in the USN without drop tanks.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

KSingh wrote:You can’t even say with certainty that the SH pictured at SBTF were fully loaded with internal fuel. I notice that there were no drop tanks and if you know the SH it goes almost nowhere in the USN without drop tanks.
Comments in the tweet below are not mine. But the picture below is the standard load out that the Rafale M adopts, while taking off from the Charles De Gaulle, for anti-ship missions. And the CDS is a CATOBAR vessel.

But pictures only tell the visual story. Behind the scenes, is a whole other ball game. Lots of variables at play.

https://twitter.com/AnirudhGB/status/14 ... 88741?s=20 ---> Rafale M spotted carrying:
• 2 x 2,000 litre drop tanks
• 4 x MICA AAMs
• 1 x Exocet anti ship missile.

Not too bad considering it took off from SBTF at INS Hansa which has a inclination of 14°

https://twitter.com/Dish_Troyer/status/ ... 97348?s=20 ---> Loaded...

Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

RCase wrote:Any reason why IAF tankers cannot assist in refueling? Doesn't the IA call for airstrikes by the IAF in their ground offensives?
Depends on where the aircraft carrier is. Somewhere deep out in the Indian Ocean and that will not work.
KSingh
BRFite

Post by KSingh »

RCase wrote:
ldev wrote:
... <snip>

Any reason why IAF tankers cannot assist in refueling? Doesn't the IA call for airstrikes by the IAF in their ground offensives?
I don’t see why they can’t do buddy refuelling all carrier fighters (even most of the IAF’s fleet) do this regularly
KSingh
BRFite

Post by KSingh »

Rakesh wrote: https://twitter.com/AnirudhGB/status/14 ... 88741?s=20 ---> Rafale M spotted carrying:
• 4 x MICA AAMs

Not too bad considering it took off from SBTF at INS Hansa which has a inclination of 14°

https://twitter.com/Dish_Troyer/status/ ... 97348?s=20 ---> Loaded.../
i shamelessly plagiarized this...

https://twitter.com/ksingh_1469/status/ ... w32jF0erRw
AkshaySG
BRFite

Post by AkshaySG »

Re: In flight refueling

Tankers based out of Naval Air Stations in A&C, TN, LK and GJ should be able to cover quite a significant amount of the operating area of Indian Aircraft Carrier Operations

Besides we have a base coming up in Seychelles along with multiple logistics and info sharing agreements with the French, Americans and Aussies who have quite a lot of bases/assets in the Southern Indian Ocean. Obviously not something that can be guaranteed in war time but certainly not an impossible flexibility to add.

Then again we're short on tankers even for the IAF so....
ldev
BRF Oldie

Post by ldev »

KSingh wrote:
Rakesh wrote: https://twitter.com/AnirudhGB/status/14 ... 88741?s=20 ---> Rafale M spotted carrying:
• 4 x MICA AAMs

https://twitter.com/Dish_Troyer/status/ ... 97348?s=20 ---> Loaded.../
i shamelessly plagiarized this...

I looked again at the internal fuel numbers as well as the twitter photos of the SH and Rafale doing the takeoff off the ski jumps, posted earlier in this thread, and at least as far as the 2 pictures are concerned, I think both planes had the same payload, with the assumption that both had max internal fuel, which may or may not be accurate:

SH: Internal fuel: 14,700 lbs + 2X2000 lb Paveways = 4000 lbs + 2XAMRAAMS + 2xAIM9X = 1400 lbs = 20,100 lbs
Rafale: Internal fuel: 10,500 lbs + 2x2000 liters drop tanks = 7000 lbs + 1x Exocet ASM = 1700 lbs + 4x Mica AAMs = 1000 lbs =20,200 lbs

It is quite possible that there was a series of tests done with different payloads and configurations and quite likely that at least one test involved both planes taking off with the same amount of payload as shown in these photographs. It is also possible that at some point both manufacturers were told to load up their respective fighters with the max payload that each manufacturer felt that it could take off with. Bottom line is that these pictures by themselves tell us very little in terms of what the final results were.
Last edited by ldev on 21 Jul 2022 08:48, edited 1 time in total.
KSingh
BRFite

Post by KSingh »

ldev wrote:
KSingh wrote: i shamelessly plagiarized this...

I looked again at the internal fuel numbers as well as the twitter photos of the SH and Rafale doing the takeoff off the ski jumps, posted earlier in this thread, and at least as far as the 2 pictures are concerned, I think both planes had the same payload, with the assumption that both had max internal fuel, which may or may not be accurate:

SH: Internal fuel: 14,700 lbs + 2X1000 lb Paveways = 4000 lbs + 2XAMRAAMS + 2xAIM9X = 1400 lbs = 20,100 lbs
Rafale: Internal fuel: 10,500 lbs + 2x2000 liters drop tanks = 7000 lbs + 1x Exocet ASM = 1700 lbs + 4x Mica AAMs = 1000 lbs =20,200 lbs

It is quite possible that there was a series of tests done with different payloads and configurations and quite likely that at least one test involved both planes taking off with the same amount of payload as shown in these photographs. It is also possible that at some point both manufacturers were told to load up their respective fighters with the max payload that each manufacturer felt that it could take off with. Bottom line is that these pictures by themselves tell us very little in terms of what the final results were.
With the lower empty weight of the Rafale that means it’s actually taking off with a lot more payload/fuel than the SH if they come to the same AUW.

Can you breakdown the weights you’ve calculated a little more, 2x1000=4000? I’m sure I’m missing something here.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

ldev wrote:SH: Internal fuel: 14,700 lbs + 2X1000 lb Paveways = 4000 lbs + 2XAMRAAMS + 2xAIM9X = 1400 lbs = 20,100 lbs
For the SH, do you mean 2x2000 lb Paveways = 4000 lbs?

For the Rafale, 2000 liters drop tanks = 4409.25 pounds.
Source: https://www.flightpedia.org/convert/200 ... ounds.html
So how we do account for the remaining 2,590.75 pounds?
Is that weight difference of the drop tanks?
ldev
BRF Oldie

Post by ldev »

KSingh wrote:[

Can you breakdown the weights you’ve calculated a little more, 2x1000=4000? I’m sure I’m missing something here.
My mistake, I have amended my original post for the correct read, highlighting the change in red i.e. It is 2x2000 lbs=4000 lbs
ldev
BRF Oldie

Post by ldev »

Rakesh wrote:
ldev wrote:SH: Internal fuel: 14,700 lbs + 2X1000 lb Paveways = 4000 lbs + 2XAMRAAMS + 2xAIM9X = 1400 lbs = 20,100 lbs
For the SH, do you mean 2x2000 lb Paveways = 4000 lbs?

For the Rafale, 2000 liters drop tanks = 4409.25 pounds.
Source: https://www.flightpedia.org/convert/200 ... ounds.html
So how we do account for the remaining 2,590.75 pounds?
Is that weight difference of the drop tanks?
Specific gravity of Jet Fuel A is in the range of 0.78-0.83. For my calculation I have taken SG at 0.8 so 4000 liters of Jet Fuel at an SG of 0.8 is 3200 kg which is 7052 lbs. I have rounded it off to 7000 lbs.

Actually JP-8 which is used in military engines has a slightly lower SG of 0.775 vs Jet A which is used mainly in commercial aircraft. But the differences are small and the overall payload differential for the SH vs Rafale would be inconsequential ~100 lbs if that.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

Thanks ldev.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

Boeing’s Super Hornet fighter completes testing in India
https://www.ajaishukla.com/2022/07/boei ... letes.html
21 July 2022
Rafale fighter also passed testing in January, but does not have twin-seat variant, which the Indian Navy requires.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

https://twitter.com/ajaishukla/status/1 ... fuFhf3DPcw ---> India's tender for carrier borne fighters will be a choice between Rafale Marine...and Super Hornet. The Rafale-M should be eliminated since it doesn't have a twin-seat variant -- an Indian demand. However, Paris' clout in Delhi could pull Rafale thru.

^^^ Shukla's tweet above triggered the Rafale (French) fans on twitter. See their responses. The third and fourth tweet make valid points. I will have to confirm (or if someone already knows, then please post) that the US Navy does not use the twin seater F-18F for carrier landing training. Because if true, that will bring Dassault right back in contention, albeit only on that point. If Dassault does end up winning the MRCBF contest, there are very few things I would not do to get my hands on that Indian Navy report on the reasons for a Dassault win. Unfortunately that report will be classified. My guess is that Boeing will win this.

https://twitter.com/RafaleFan/status/15 ... fuFhf3DPcw ---> The two-seaters Rafale of the Indian Air Force will do the trick (training as in France). If a two-seater Rafale M had been requested, the tests would not even have taken place.

https://twitter.com/ixene_dessin/status ... fuFhf3DPcw ---> I would add that if it was essential to have a two-seater, Dassault would have participated in the competition by proposing the possibility of a two-seater Rafale M, the study of which had been completed before the French army gave up its development in early 1990s.

https://twitter.com/lapouce/status/1550 ... fuFhf3DPcw ---> This seems to be a motivated article*. A glance at the training pattern of US as well as French navies indicates that both don't use a trainer for deck landing. French navy pilots train in a combined Air Force training unit, saving money, standardization & ensuring jointness.
[*Even the French fanbois now know that Ajai Shukla is peddling :lol: ]

https://twitter.com/lapouce/status/1550 ... fuFhf3DPcw ---> Rafale land version (twin seater) is used for basic training. Carrier landing training is on simulator. Even US Navy trains on simulator & does not use twin seater F-18F for carrier landing training. Indian forces will benefit greatly - costs & jointness by having a more capable Rafale.

https://twitter.com/lapouce/status/1550 ... fuFhf3DPcw ---> Rafale apparently has smaller radar X section, newer technology & most importantly fits (albeit tightly) the lifts onboard both Indian carriers. *It is more efficient & consequently lifts heavier load off the ski jump. Common aircraft with IAF also means far cheaper log/maintenance costs.
*Now that will be interesting, IF TRUE.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

I came across this, which ties into the post above. A good read on how the US Navy trains her carrier pilots. I am not seeing any mention of the twin-seater F-18F Super Hornet being used for carrier training. Still searching....

How do Navy Pilots practice aircraft carrier landings before they actually land on an aircraft carrier?
https://www.quora.com/How-do-Navy-Pilot ... ft-carrier
KSingh
BRFite

Post by KSingh »

Rakesh wrote:Boeing’s Super Hornet fighter completes testing in India
21 July 2022
Rafale fighter also passed testing in January, but does not have twin-seat variant, which the Indian Navy requires.
A red herring, as part of the package Dassualt will sell the C (2 seat one variant). 2 seaters are mostly demand for training which is mostly done from shore anyway. There aren’t any 2 seat F35 or F22 in existence either and the F35 is a frontline carrier fighter itself

+ has Shukla ever shilled for a foreign OEM that wasn’t American? I remember him venomously putting down Rafale and saying IAF should be pushing for F35 during the MMRCA saga.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

KSingh wrote:A red herring, as part of the package Dassault will sell the C (2 seat one variant). 2 seaters are mostly demand for training which is mostly done from shore anyway. There aren’t any 2 seat F35 or F22 in existence either and the F35 is a frontline carrier fighter itself.
I believe you meant the twin seater B variant? Eight of them are coming, along with 18 single seat C variants if the Rafale M wins. That is the breakdown of the 26. But the eventual goal is over 50 aircraft, a number confirmed by none other than Boeing.

Which leads me to wonder, what will TEDBF fill, if the order is over 50 aircraft? The original plan was for 57 MRCBF aircraft. 18 each in three squadrons (for three aircraft carriers) + 3 reserves. Another MRFA-Tejas Mk2 boondoggle, no matter which aircraft ends up winning.

The Rafale M could possibly be transferred to the Air Force, as the commonality exists. The IAF will not touch the F-18SH with a barge pole. A pithy order of TEDBFs will make them just unaffordable. What a mess this is.

Good points on the lack of twin seater F-22s and F-35s, the latter which serves aboard vessels in the US Navy and US Marine Corps.
KSingh wrote:+ has Shukla ever shilled for a foreign OEM that wasn’t American? I remember him venomously putting down Rafale and saying IAF should be pushing for F35 during the MMRCA saga.
I never understood this fascination of the "F-35 for India" saga. I am not talking about the obvious technical wizardry that the F-35 brings, but the geopolitical reasonings for such a purchase. The US will not allow the sale of the F-35 to India and now with the S-400, that door is shut. Of all the Quad members, India is the only one that does not operate the F-35. So arguing for a plane that India will never get clearly indicates that he is pushing someone's agenda. One does not have to be a genius to figure out who that is.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

@KSingh: I cannot verify this, but just saw this on twitter. This has to be his own calculations, but ties in to earlier tweets which indicates that the Rafale M has a higher AUW than the F-18SH. But I am posting it FWIW, as it relates to the ongoing discussion in this thread. But based on the numbers he has provided, does it match with the calculations that were posted?

https://twitter.com/MightyWar3/status/1 ... fuFhf3DPcw ---> Based on the results of tests conducted by the Indian Navy on the French Rafale M and the United States F/A-18 Super Hornet, the results were as follows:

https://twitter.com/MightyWar3/status/1 ... fuFhf3DPcw --->

• The Rafale M is capable of carrying a 1.2 ton load of weapons on takeoff from an aircraft carrier with a 3.2 ton drop tank.

• The F/A-18 Super Hornet can carry 1.4 tons of weapons with 1.8 tons of added fuel, excluding the use of drop tanks.

Based on the numbers above...the AUW of Rafale M is 4.4 tons, while the AUW of F-18SH is 3.2 tons.
But is it wise to view this number in isolation, not considering other factors?

https://twitter.com/MightyWar3/status/1 ... fuFhf3DPcw ---> The two specifications above are based on the requirements when the aircraft takes off from the ski jump of an Indian aircraft carrier. Currently the two aircraft are still competing in the tender for future Indian aircraft carriers, who will be selected?

==============================

By the way, just in case anyone has a doubt as to what AUW stands for, here you go ---> The aircraft gross weight (also known as the all-up weight and abbreviated AUW) is the total aircraft weight at any moment during the flight (during take off) or ground operation. An aircraft's gross weight will decrease during a flight due to fuel and oil consumption.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

Finally, some confirmation (albeit media) that the Harpoon AShM can be fitted aboard the Rafale. I have read about compatibility, but never seen any report or any picture of a Rafale carrying a Harpoon AShM. French Tayara with Amreeki Mijjile :mrgreen:

@KSingh (or anyone else): You think we will need approval from Uncle Sam for such an integration with Rafale M, if she wins? :) Or is this something that can be done in house? So plug and play? We have a decent stock of Harpoon AShMs with the P-8I purchase.

Greece Approves Harpoon Anti-Ship Missile Procurement
https://www.thedefensepost.com/2022/07/ ... p-missile/
01 July 2022
The Athens-based state broadcaster added that the Boeing missile and the French Exocet outfitted on the country’s fleet of Rafales would heighten deterrence against surface vessels.
Prasad
BRF Oldie

Post by Prasad »

The US Navy trains pilots first on the Goshawk for carrier operations. And then the Shornet. Even that is going to change with advent of technology.
https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/3 ... n-training
KSingh
BRFite

Post by KSingh »

Rakesh wrote:@KSingh: I cannot verify this, but just saw this on twitter. This has to be his own calculations, but ties in to earlier tweets which indicates that the Rafale M has a higher AUW than the F-18SH. But I am posting it FWIW, as it relates to the ongoing discussion in this thread. But based on the numbers he has provided, does it match with the calculations that were posted?

https://twitter.com/MightyWar3/status/1 ... fuFhf3DPcw ---> Based on the results of tests conducted by the Indian Navy on the French Rafale M and the United States F/A-18 Super Hornet, the results were as follows:

https://twitter.com/MightyWar3/status/1 ... fuFhf3DPcw --->

• The Rafale M is capable of carrying a 1.2 ton load of weapons on takeoff from an aircraft carrier with a 3.2 ton drop tank.

• The F/A-18 Super Hornet can carry 1.4 tons of weapons with 1.8 tons of added fuel, excluding the use of drop tanks.

Based on the numbers above...the AUW of Rafale M is 4.4 tons, while the AUW of F-18SH is 3.2 tons.
But is it wise to view this number in isolation, not considering other factors?

https://twitter.com/MightyWar3/status/1 ... fuFhf3DPcw ---> The two specifications above are based on the requirements when the aircraft takes off from the ski jump of an Indian aircraft carrier. Currently the two aircraft are still competing in the tender for future Indian aircraft carriers, who will be selected?

==============================

By the way, just in case anyone has a doubt as to what AUW stands for, here you go ---> The aircraft gross weight (also known as the all-up weight and abbreviated AUW) is the total aircraft weight at any moment during the flight (during take off) or ground operation. An aircraft's gross weight will decrease during a flight due to fuel and oil consumption.
Your AUW definition is correct at the bottom but I think you’ve misused it in red.

What we are trying to figure out are payload figures based on pictures I guess. So he largely agrees with what we’ve seen in Boeing’s own promo and the spotter snap, basically the summation of these 2 tweets:

https://twitter.com/ksingh_1469/status/ ... lYJJEfT5PA

Rafale work 4.3T in external stores, SH with 1.4T. No idea where the 1.8T additional figure came from as the SH in this configuration isn’t using drop tanks .

All of this is a little redundant as we can’t possibly know internal fuel so can’t possibly calculate AUW, we can only guess they are full of fuel but that’s ambitious considering SBTF doesn’t generate the same headwind component as a carrier plus we all know the limitations of STOBAR. All we can estimate are external stores and so far we haven’t seen a picture/video of SH operating with anywhere near the same external stores as Rafale did from SBTF, in fact Rafale carried 3X as much externally based on the above 2 configurations

Again this was purely a snapshot and we can’t tell much from this as they ran an entire testing cycle trying out different external and internal capacities for sure.

But it is interesting that Boeing leaked(?) to the press that they took off from SBTF with 2xAsHM plus fuel but in their own PR they’ve only shown a relatively light payload meanwhile Rafale was spotted with a very reasonable and representative load out (AShM, AAM, drop tanks).
KSingh
BRFite

Post by KSingh »

Rakesh wrote:Finally, some confirmation (albeit media) that the Harpoon AShM can be fitted aboard the Rafale. I have read about compatibility, but never seen any report or any picture of a Rafale carrying a Harpoon AShM. French Tayara with Amreeki Mijjile :mrgreen:

@KSingh (or anyone else): You think we will need approval from Uncle Sam for such an integration with Rafale M, if she wins? :) Or is this something that can be done in house? So plug and play? We have a decent stock of Harpoon AShMs with the P-8I purchase.

Greece Approves Harpoon Anti-Ship Missile Procurement
https://www.thedefensepost.com/2022/07/ ... p-missile/
01 July 2022
The Athens-based state broadcaster added that the Boeing missile and the French Exocet outfitted on the country’s fleet of Rafales would heighten deterrence against surface vessels.
Of course it would need US’s say so and probably cost a few million for the privilege. They might opt for it or stick with the Exocet that is already qualified on the Rafale or maybe even hold off for an Indian equivalent
KSingh
BRFite

Post by KSingh »

Prasad wrote:The US Navy trains pilots first on the Goshawk for carrier operations. And then the Shornet. Even that is going to change with advent of technology.
https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/3 ... n-training
Isn’t the LCA LIFT(SPORT?) even taking part in this competition hilariously?

But yes this is a point worth making- USN, the entirely unparalleled big dogs of carrier aviation, are moving away from needing to have LIFTs with carrier landing capability AND their premier fighters (F35) come only in single seat. They are clearly saying that the simulator technology today is sufficient to not need a pilot to do carrier qualification at the ship with an instructor in the back so Dassault's offer is valid (offering Rafale B two seaters as part of the package) is perfectly valid and this shouldn’t be a reason to favour the SH.

Aside from the fact that the French are themselves carrier experts and haven’t felt the need to have a 2 seat variant and they have a fine record with the Rafale-M on CDG.

Also remember that 2 seaters comes with a fuel/payload penalty inherently always.
KSingh
BRFite

Post by KSingh »

Rakesh wrote:
KSingh wrote:A red herring, as part of the package Dassault will sell the C (2 seat one variant). 2 seaters are mostly demand for training which is mostly done from shore anyway. There aren’t any 2 seat F35 or F22 in existence either and the F35 is a frontline carrier fighter itself.
I believe you meant the twin seater B variant? Eight of them are coming, along with 18 single seat C variants if the Rafale M wins. That is the breakdown of the 26. But the eventual goal is over 50 aircraft, a number confirmed by none other than Boeing.

Which leads me to wonder, what will TEDBF fill, if the order is over 50 aircraft? The original plan was for 57 MRCBF aircraft. 18 each in three squadrons (for three aircraft carriers) + 3 reserves. Another MRFA-Tejas Mk2 boondoggle, no matter which aircraft ends up winning.

The Rafale M could possibly be transferred to the Air Force, as the commonality exists. The IAF will not touch the F-18SH with a barge pole. A pithy order of TEDBFs will make them just unaffordable. What a mess this is.

Good points on the lack of twin seater F-22s and F-35s, the latter which serves aboard vessels in the US Navy and US Marine Corps.
KSingh wrote:+ has Shukla ever shilled for a foreign OEM that wasn’t American? I remember him venomously putting down Rafale and saying IAF should be pushing for F35 during the MMRCA saga.
I never understood this fascination of the "F-35 for India" saga. I am not talking about the obvious technical wizardry that the F-35 brings, but the geopolitical reasonings for such a purchase. The US will not allow the sale of the F-35 to India and now with the S-400, that door is shut. Of all the Quad members, India is the only one that does not operate the F-35. So arguing for a plane that India will never get clearly indicates that he is pushing someone's agenda. One does not have to be a genius to figure out who that is.
I think the language used recently makes it pretty clear TEDBF is their long term replacement for the MIG-29K, IN CNS said MRCBF is an interim until TEDBF.

IF MRCBF is to happen it’ll thus not be 57 but ~26 and reserved purely for Vikrant. Neither Rafale or SH can fit in the A/C lifts on the Vikky anyway. So 45+ whatever the requirements will be for the 3rd carrier (another 30 or so for 2 SQN’s worth) so I assume a production run of ~90 TEDBF should be the minimum.

Without going off topic here this is just another case of myopia on IAF’s part, they could easily get onboard the TEDBF project (ORCA) and get themselves an Indian Rafale from the mid 2030s which wont be that much of a wait from the imagined MRFA timelines. TEDBF would become massively de-risked then. It’s a huge shame the GoI isn’t pushing this.

+ on F35 for india- that was all during MMRCA years and before S400 deal, after that happened F35 for india talk has almost entirely evaporated (although I expect it to pick up significantly the closer we get to AMCA’s first flight and or certification).
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

KSingh wrote:Your AUW definition is correct at the bottom but I think you’ve misused it in red.

What we are trying to figure out are payload figures based on pictures I guess. So he largely agrees with what we’ve seen in Boeing’s own promo and the spotter snap, basically the summation of these 2 tweets:

https://twitter.com/ksingh_1469/status/ ... lYJJEfT5PA

Rafale work 4.3T in external stores, SH with 1.4T. No idea where the 1.8T additional figure came from as the SH in this configuration isn’t using drop tanks.

The Rafale M during SBTF test reportedly carried 1.2T of weapon payload & add. 3.2T of drop tanks. While F/A-18 NH411 in the U.S was tested with 1.4T of weapon payload and appx 1.8T of add. fuel. But here it didn't carry any drop tank though had same weapon payload.
Pictures were always going to be assumptions, as we don't know the specifics. When I calculated the AUW, I am referring to the internal fuel being carried + external stores (weapons + drop tanks). Am I incorrect in that calculation or am I misinterpreting the definition of AUW?

By way, another tweet (which you replied to in your twitter feed) mentions the same figures....

https://twitter.com/VinodDX9/status/155 ... ZM1_QbyuCQ ---> The Rafale M during SBTF test reportedly carried 1.2T of weapon payload & additional 3.2T of drop tanks. While F/A-18 NH411 was tested with 1.4T of weapon payload and approximately 1.8T of additional fuel. But here it didn't carry any drop tanks, though had the same weapon payload.

https://twitter.com/VinodDX9/status/155 ... ZM1_QbyuCQ ---> Yes, here it can be seen with two drop tanks, but in this picture it can't be concluded if was carrying a weapon payload of 1.4T or higher, so didn't mention. *Focus was on spot with maximum payload.
*Is that really the max payload of the F-18SH from a ski jump?

KSingh wrote:All of this is a little redundant as we can’t possibly know internal fuel so can’t possibly calculate AUW, we can only guess they are full of fuel but that’s ambitious considering SBTF doesn’t generate the same headwind component as a carrier plus we all know the limitations of STOBAR. All we can estimate are external stores and so far we haven’t seen a picture/video of SH operating with anywhere near the same external stores as Rafale did from SBTF, in fact Rafale carried 3X as much externally based on the above 2 configurations

Again this was purely a snapshot and we can’t tell much from this as they ran an entire testing cycle trying out different external and internal capacities for sure.

But it is interesting that Boeing leaked(?) to the press that they took off from SBTF with 2xAsHM plus fuel but in their own PR they’ve only shown a relatively light payload meanwhile Rafale was spotted with a very reasonable and representative load out (AShM, AAM, drop tanks).
All valid points.

https://twitter.com/VinodDX9/status/155 ... ZM1_QbyuCQ ---> Rafale payload explained well, though that's not necessarily will be the *final maximum payload.
*What? It can go even higher?

https://twitter.com/RafaleAddict/status ... ZM1_QbyuCQ ---> So in this configuration:
• 2 x 2,000L drop tanks = 3,200 kg
• 4 x MICA = 450 kg
• 1 x Exocet AM-39 = 670 kg

* Total Payload = 4,320 kg

• Rafale M empty weight = 10,200 kg
• 100% internal fuel = 4,700 kg

* Takeoff weight = 19,220 kg (which is the sum of the empty weight + internal fuel + total payload).

Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

KSingh wrote:Of course it would need US’s say so and probably cost a few million for the privilege. They might opt for it or stick with the Exocet that is already qualified on the Rafale or maybe even hold off for an Indian equivalent
Thanks for the confirmation.

There were plans to mount BrahMos-NG on the IAF's Rafales. Not sure how far that plan is still on.

If the BrahMos-NG integration is successful, both the Exocet and the Harpoon would be pointless.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

Okay, posting this video again.

Freeze frame at exactly 0:45 seconds. One can clearly see a pair of drop tanks and one AIM-9X at the wingtip. One can say with 100% certainty that there is another AIM-9X on the other wingtip.

Now freeze frame at exactly 1:01 minute. One can clearly see a pair of AIM-9Xs and a pair of 2,000 Paveways. So two different missions here.

One can confirm that it flew with a pair of Harpoons. Along with that a pair of AMRAAMs + a pair of AIM-9Xs would also likely be there. Would drop tanks then be necessary in that configuration? Will the higher internal fuel capacity of the SH (over the Rafale M) negate the need for drop tanks?

KSingh
BRFite

Post by KSingh »

Rakesh wrote:Pictures were always going to be assumptions, as we don't know the specifics. When I calculated the AUW, I am referring to the internal fuel being carried + external stores (weapons + drop tanks). Am I incorrect in that calculation or am I misinterpreting the definition of AUW?
AUW is the total weight of the entire airframe limited by the aerodrome (in this case SBTF/Carriers)

MTOW is the total weight as limited by the airframe design strength.

SO, AUW will be based on performance factors (take off roll distance, headwind, precipitation etc) and feasibly one of the planes maybe able to have a higher AUW than the other based on the specific performance capabilities of the different planes. From everything I have read the Rafale with a lower empty weight and canards has a shorter take off roll and superior slow speed handling than the SH which *may* allow it to have a higher/comparable AUW than the SH. But if the Rafale has the same AUW as the SH at SBTF that means it actually is able to carry more payload/fuel because of the aforementioned lower empty mass.

Anyway this is all a little redundant because as I said above there is only L1/L2 in Indian defence procurement. Whatever the IN’s minimum payload and range/endurance is both will have to meet just to tick that box. Sure both can go for glory runs to ‘impress’ the officers on the ground but there’s little to no weight given to this at a procurement level.

I assume both met the minimum standard because we haven’t heard of anything to the contrary. Now it all comes down to cost and for the reasons I’ve stated above I don’t see how anyone but Dassualt wins it on that metric.
RCase
BRF Oldie

Post by RCase »

Rakesh wrote:
RCase wrote:Any reason why IAF tankers cannot assist in refueling? Doesn't the IA call for airstrikes by the IAF in their ground offensives?
Depends on where the aircraft carrier is. Somewhere deep out in the Indian Ocean and that will not work.
True. But deep out in the Indian Ocean, what are the 'targets' that these planes will have to fly to great distances to deliver their payload? Our carriers are pretty much in action closer to our coasts. For all practical purposes, our naval range of action is pretty much Pakistan, may be from the Gulf to straits of Malacca. As all our politicians and even armed forces heads tout we are never on expeditionary missions to conquer/invade other countries!
Same goes for the IAF. Their range of action is pretty much Pakistan and Tibet at best.
ks_sachin
BRF Oldie

Post by ks_sachin »

RCase we are a very expeditionary Armed Force at the moment.

Every weapons requirement is an expedition through different brochures and different arms suppliers.
Pratyush
BRF Oldie

Post by Pratyush »

Sachin, the fact you don't use smilies makes your posts very dangerous in the office setting.

But on a serious note, the situation with the Indian defence establishment is now farcical.
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

ks_sachin wrote:RCase we are a very expeditionary Armed Force at the moment.

Every weapons requirement is an expedition through different brochures and different arms suppliers.
One of the best back handed strokes, ever!! Salam.

Will keep it in my back pocket, for future use.

‐-----------------

Was listening to the Duran and guest iEarlGrey, a Brit living in St. Petersburg, RU, yesterday. They happen to mention that during a speech, in the past 2/3 days, Putin stated that Russia was also fighting for others - they said he meant those nations that had not joint the sanctions - and specifically mentioned India multiple times.

Imo, Russia is not going to be a happy camper if India becomes an expeditionary force. May tolerate a French product, I think a US one will cause major indigestion.
ks_sachin
BRF Oldie

Post by ks_sachin »

Pratyush wrote:Sachin, the fact you don't use smilies makes your posts very dangerous in the office setting.

But on a serious note, the situation with the Indian defence establishment is now farcical.

The beauty of the written word is lost with emoticons which I perceive to be the refuge of the scoundrel who suffers from a constipation of thought and a diarrhoea of words.
kit
BRF Oldie

Post by kit »

KSingh wrote:
Rakesh wrote:Boeing’s Super Hornet fighter completes testing in India
21 July 2022
+ has Shukla ever shilled for a foreign OEM that wasn’t American? I remember him venomously putting down Rafale and saying IAF should be pushing for F35 during the MMRCA saga.
His blog has been carrying ads for F18 since eternity., not to mention calling NaMo delusional. Oh the travails of a salesman :P
ldev
BRF Oldie

Post by ldev »

NRao wrote:Imo, Russia is not going to be a happy camper if India becomes an expeditionary force. May tolerate a French product, I think a US one will cause major indigestion.
Agree, Russia will be very unhappy. Only Russia has the right to an expeditionary force into Syria to protect India's interest in Syria, because India has not joined the sanctions. Makes complete sense. India has to protect Russia's happiness at all costs!!