LCA: News & Discussions: 15 August 2017

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
Vivek K
BRF Oldie

Re: LCA: News & Discussions: 15 August 2017

Post by Vivek K »

Remarkable aircraft. IAF would do well to make use of it in large numbers.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

A conformal option can come up freeing up those two massive slots for lightweight brahmos integration.

1200 liters would equal to 800 odd kgs per tank, + empty tank weight
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

https://twitter.com/sjha1618/status/950029992112439296 ---> Others are realizing that building the HAL Tejas in large numbers is the only realistic option to rebuild and/or enhance squadron strength and grow the domestic aerospace industry. It is also an admission that the single-engine tender will not really take off.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

someone posted a new video of flying daggers squad view of LCA v=NRcDmtmWQVE
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

That is a non-licensed copy of ADA's original video from last year. IAF's video contains excerpts from this video.
viveksonkhla
BRFite -Trainee

Post by viveksonkhla »

#TejasUpdate #7 | SP5 from the 2nd production facility of #HAL (erstwhile Kiran hangar) is ready to kiss the skies. It has completed HSTT & 1st flight likely this week. SP7 finishes contract flying and awaits a letter from #IAF HQ for customer flying.
https://twitter.com/writetake/status/950212930255044608
ArjunPandit
BRF Oldie

Post by ArjunPandit »

If SEF falls through, will we see an additional line of Tejas? HAL will do itself a huge favor by bringing an additional line
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

If SEF? SEF must fail. And Mk2 realised
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

120 MK 1As coming off the lines smoothly will be the best ad. for more of the same.A MK-1 with an ELTA 2052 AESA radar,plus an assortment of PGMs and Astra will be quite enough to build in large qty. like the MIG-21s.The design and contours of MK-2 , perhaps with stealth features, could come later after the 1A has proven itself.

The SEF must gently fade away into the sunset unless the GOI really opens its purse strings, plans for a 1000 strong fleet with 50+ frontline sqds.,with approx 400 of these being in the light category.It can then induct around 120 or so SEFs with around 300 LCAs to boot.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

I don't remember having read any cancellation of 99 GE F414-INs6.
srai
BRF Oldie

Post by srai »

ArjunPandit wrote:If SEF falls through, will we see an additional line of Tejas? HAL will do itself a huge favor by bringing an additional line
SEF won't fall through anytime soon. These mega-import projects have a long-life of their own. MMRCA was a 15-year saga before it was cancelled and 36 units were bought instead to pacify all parties involved.
Thakur_B
BRF Oldie

Post by Thakur_B »

SaiK wrote:I don't remember having read any cancellation of 99 GE F414-INs6.
Has the contract even been inked ?
brar_w
BRF Oldie

Post by brar_w »

SaiK wrote:I don't remember having read any cancellation of 99 GE F414-INs6.
Thakur_B wrote:Has the contract even been inked ?
No publicly disclosure has been made so far by GE in either its press releases or its public filings of any contract for 99 GE F414s with the MOD or HAL.
JayS
Forum Moderator

Post by JayS »

SaiK wrote:A conformal option can come up freeing up those two massive slots for lightweight brahmos integration.

1200ltr jet fuel ~ 1000kg in fuel itself. Then some weight in empty tank and pylon. Comes out to be almost equal to ~1100-1150kg.
Thakur_B
BRF Oldie

Post by Thakur_B »

SaiK wrote:
Sai ji, kerosene has a density of .78, 1200 litres is almost 940 kgs. Plus empty weight of tank would be 120 kgs or more, then weight of pylon, and then some margin for turbulence/drag induced forces.
JayS
Forum Moderator

Post by JayS »

Indranil wrote:IIRC the heaviest that it has shown is 3.5 tons. It is true that there was runway to spare.

Do you remember the 4 ton config?
I have 4T figure hanging in my mind. Let me try to find out. We once had discussion on LCA payload. May be its not at Leh.
Vivek K
BRF Oldie

Post by Vivek K »

Rakesh wrote:https://twitter.com/sjha1618/status/950029992112439296 ---> Others are realizing that building the HAL Tejas in large numbers is the only realistic option to rebuild and/or enhance squadron strength and grow the domestic aerospace industry. It is also an admission that the single-engine tender will not really take off.
BRF - always ahead of the curve.
shettyp
BRFite -Trainee

Post by shettyp »

I have had this wishing thinking for a while that a possible solution is that Navy buys (given that's what they have decided) one of F18 or Rafale for both the carriers, as the new planes come in move all the Mig 29k to IAF and the IAF cancels the SEF and goes full blown on ramping up the LCA versions which can be progressive. Before everyone jumps on me for the wishful thinking with the technicalities of why this is not possible, this is just an out of box thought for the entire logjam right now between IAF and Navy.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Vivek K Could be others read BRF and write?

The PV 5 flying would be a big boost to LCA production as that qualifies the 1/2 line.
Kartik
BRF Oldie

Post by Kartik »

viveksonkhla wrote:#TejasUpdate #7 | SP5 from the 2nd production facility of #HAL (erstwhile Kiran hangar) is ready to kiss the skies. It has completed HSTT & 1st flight likely this week. SP7 finishes contract flying and awaits a letter from #IAF HQ for customer flying.
https://twitter.com/writetake/status/950212930255044608
Great! So the issue that delayed its first flight has been licked!

And with SP7 about to be handed over, the squadron strength will be 6 SPs and 1 Tejas trainer, PV6.
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

JayS wrote:
Indranil wrote:IIRC the heaviest that it has shown is 3.5 tons. It is true that there was runway to spare.

Do you remember the 4 ton config?
I have 4T figure hanging in my mind. Let me try to find out. We once had discussion on LCA payload. May be its not at Leh.
We had the discussion that the payload at sea level cannot be limited to 3.5 tons as LCA has already demonstrably flown with 4 Tons of payload. Also for an aircraft taking off from Leh in in summer with 3.0-3.5 tons of payload cannot be limited to 4.0 tons in the plains.
Thakur_B
BRF Oldie

Post by Thakur_B »

A while back there was news that LCA Navy would be made both CATOBAR and STOBAR capable. Has there been any further news to confirm this ?
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

^thanks for correcting.. i took petrol weights! :(

that is a beautiful pic.. well the tweets are different. so, let me repost:

#TejasUpdate #8
The first Customer Acceptance Flight of #Tejas SP-7 is over with No 45 Sqn #FlyingDaggers Co Grp Capt Madhav Rangachari taking the bird out on its official sortie. Couple of more flights and SP-7 will be part of the Sqn soon.
@akananth | #IAF | #LCA | #Bangalore
https://twitter.com/writetake/status/950587566482321409
Vivek K
BRF Oldie

Post by Vivek K »

ramana wrote:Vivek K Could be others read BRF and write?

The PV 5 flying would be a big boost to LCA production as that qualifies the 1/2 line.
Quite possible. That is why we need to project a more swadeshi line to boost national defense and economic security.
ks_sachin
BRF Oldie

Post by ks_sachin »

SaiK wrote:^thanks for correcting.. i took petrol weights! :(

that is a beautiful pic.. well the tweets are different. so, let me repost:

#TejasUpdate #8
The first Customer Acceptance Flight of #Tejas SP-7 is over with No 45 Sqn #FlyingDaggers Co Grp Capt Madhav Rangachari taking the bird out on its official sortie. Couple of more flights and SP-7 will be part of the Sqn soon.
@akananth | #IAF | #LCA | #Bangalore
https://twitter.com/writetake/status/950587566482321409
Indranil / Jay

In the above picture is that part of the fuselage between the spine and middle of the wing that contributes to the higher transonic drag and what is sought to be mitigated by the plug in Mk2?
disha
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by disha »

SaiK wrote:
<pic deleted>
Is it the photo of SP7 and if it is, do I see a change in the way the canopy is shaped?

Tejas is a very beautiful bird. And the way it swoops down reminds me of sting rays.
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

Sachin sahab,

No. That is the fairing to make the wing body interface smooth. It reduces drag and RCS. Since you had shown a propensity to learn more aerodynamics, here are four pointers: read about interference drag, friction drag, wave drag and smooth wing body interface.

Disha, that’s an old image.
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

There was some great zaika in the chai today. AMCA and Mk2 has been sanctioned. Hopefully funds will also start to flow in soon.
Cybaru
BRF Oldie

Post by Cybaru »

Whooooa!! That's great news bro!! Thanks for sharing... Congrats everyone who all waited with baited breath...
Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya_V »

Indranil wrote:There was some great zaika in the chai today. AMCA and Mk2 has been sanctioned. Hopefully funds will also start to flow in soon.
Any link or Official news
Akshay Kapoor
Forum Moderator

Post by Akshay Kapoor »

Indranil wrote:There was some great zaika in the chai today. AMCA and Mk2 has been sanctioned. Hopefully funds will also start to flow in soon.
I have been saying for a while that LCA flight is just taking off and there are big positives ahead :wink:
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

Although the breeze slightly lifted my lungi off the ground. But it will be fully deployed only when funds are released.

Good signs though.
suryag
Forum Moderator

Post by suryag »

I still dont see as many Tejas taking off as i would expect given the flogging that the first batch of SU-30Ks got or may be they are out practicing at other locations. Meanwhile, had one question in general about trainers and their place in the squadrons. We have/had MOFTUs where MiG pilots would fly trainers and then goto operational squadrons, havent heard of JOFTUs, essentially, what am looking for is do trainers become part of operational squadrons like M2K squadrons or they become some OFTUs and what would this be in the case of Tejas. I hope the first squadron is flogging their birds so that entire logistics and maintenance requirement and corresponding impact on the supply chain is worked out while they are in BLR
ks_sachin
BRF Oldie

Post by ks_sachin »

Indranil wrote:Sachin sahab,

No. That is the fairing to make the wing body interface smooth. It reduces drag and RCS. Since you had shown a propensity to learn more aerodynamics, here are four pointers: read about interference drag, friction drag, wave drag and smooth wing body interface.

Thanks Indranil,

Are we talking about the same thing? I am talking about the area where the upper part of the wing meets the fuselage and then continues to the spine. I am especially interested in the area behind the canopy and forward of the intake in front of the tail. To my rather ageing eyes could the bleeding be smoother?

Indulge me. I am reading up on all that you are point me at..
ks_sachin
BRF Oldie

Post by ks_sachin »

Akshay Kapoor wrote:
I have been saying for a while that LCA flight is just taking off and there are big positives ahead :wink:
Now the icing on the cake will be someone officially burying that stupid SEF thingy!!
deejay
Forum Moderator

Post by deejay »

suryag wrote:I still dont see as many Tejas taking off as i would expect given the flogging that the first batch of SU-30Ks got or may be they are out practicing at other locations. Meanwhile, had one question in general about trainers and their place in the squadrons. We have/had MOFTUs where MiG pilots would fly trainers and then goto operational squadrons, havent heard of JOFTUs, essentially, what am looking for is do trainers become part of operational squadrons like M2K squadrons or they become some OFTUs and what would this be in the case of Tejas. I hope the first squadron is flogging their birds so that entire logistics and maintenance requirement and corresponding impact on the supply chain is worked out while they are in BLR
In MOFTU Mig pilots mostly flew single seat fighters. Trainers are used on sortie profiles which require a "Dual" flight with instructor or examiner. MOFTU may have had more trainers but not all were trainers.

Trainers are also part of operational Sqns
ks_sachin
BRF Oldie

Post by ks_sachin »

deejay sir,
I presume MOFTU is still operational. Once the Mig are out will that be mothballed or do you see that morphing into some thing else. Also Wiki chacha says MOFTU imparted Stage 3 trng on the Mig 21's. What about the other Migs or other fighter aircraft?
kancha
BRFite

Post by kancha »

ArjunPandit wrote:
On a serious note I was thinking of learning basic physics of a fighter jet ...any recommendations for basic physics from Jay, want to start with some basic and preferably with numericals
'Flight Without Formulae' by AC Kermode is a masterpiece. Written before WW2, it remains one of the best books to understand basic aerodynamics. I read it before I took up aeromodelling exactly one decade ago.
But as the name suggests, it is without numericals .. so I'm not quite sure whether it will meet your needs.
A quick google search shows pdf versions available for download. May have a look
deejay
Forum Moderator

Post by deejay »

ks_sachin wrote:deejay sir,
I presume MOFTU is still operational. Once the Mig are out will that be mothballed or do you see that morphing into some thing else. Also Wiki chacha says MOFTU imparted Stage 3 trng on the Mig 21's. What about the other Migs or other fighter aircraft?
Not updated on the MOFTU status Sir.

Training is part of every Sqn duties.

At MOFTU, syllabus flying in CAP etc role are completed. I do not have more details to write with authority on this.
JayS
Forum Moderator

Post by JayS »

ks_sachin wrote:
Indranil wrote:Sachin sahab,

Thanks Indranil,

Are we talking about the same thing? I am talking about the area where the upper part of the wing meets the fuselage and then continues to the spine. I am especially interested in the area behind the canopy and forward of the intake in front of the tail. To my rather ageing eyes could the bleeding be smoother?

Indulge me. I am reading up on all that you are point me at..
IR is referring to exactly that area. Its the fuselage-wing blending. Well, I also do not like the blending on LCA all that much. It could be much better. But this one is LSP. SPs have much better build quality and are somewhat easier on eyes. I expect MK2 to have much better blending in general, similar to Rafale or Gripen.

The transonic drag part you mentioned, which will be taken care of by the plug, is near the canopy. The proposed plug is going to be placed between the back of the canopy and the start of the wing. Read following paper to see where the discontinuity lies in the area curve (original link on NAL server seems dead).

http://studyres.com/doc/22195794/influe ... g-of-a-gen...