International Aerospace Discussion - Jan 2018

The Military Issues & History Forum is a venue to discuss issues relating to the military aspects of the Indian Armed Forces, whether the past, present or future. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Kartik
BRF Oldie

Re: International Aerospace Discussion - Jan 2018

Postby Kartik » 07 Jun 2018 21:36

South Korea signals AESA progression

South Korea’s Defense Acquisition Program Administration (DAPA) has signalled progression in its programme to develop an active electronically scanned array (AESA) radar system in collaboration with local industry.

DAPA said in a statement on 31 May that its radar programme – intended to support the Korean Fighter Experimental (KFX) aircraft – has completed a two-year preliminary design phase and will now move to the critical design stage before a design review in May 2019.

Following the design review, DAPA hopes to produce a pilot prototype in 2020, which will be installed on early prototypes of the KFX from 2022. After several years of trials, DAPA aims to start initial production of both the aircraft and its AESA radar from the mid-2020s.

Under a KRW360 billion (USD334 million) contract awarded in mid-2016, the AESA development programme is led by Hanwha Systems, which is collaborating with the Agency for Defense Development (ADD), a DAPA subsidiary. Korea Aerospace Industries (KAI), as lead developer of the KFX, is also involved in the programme.

KAI has previously outlined a target to produce about 250 twin-engine KFX fighter aircraft to replace the Republic of Korea Air Force’s (RoKAF’s) F-4E Phantom and F-5E Tiger II aircraft and, ultimately, its F-16 Fighting Falcon platforms. KAI also expects to export several hundred KFX fighters.

We have the lead over the South Koreans in this area. But it will interesting to see who gets an AESA radar into production first. Uttam AESA was apparently integrated with one of the LSPs some weeks ago. Now to see extensive flight testing, validation and debugging of the radar, with it hopefully going into production for the second or third batch of the Tejas Mk1A and for all batches of the Tejas Mk2 and the AMCA TDs.

Kakarat
BRFite

Postby Kakarat » 08 Jun 2018 14:05

Kartik wrote:
We have the lead over the South Koreans in this area. But it will interesting to see who gets an AESA radar into production first. Uttam AESA was apparently integrated with one of the LSPs some weeks ago. Now to see extensive flight testing, validation and debugging of the radar, with it hopefully going into production for the second or third batch of the Tejas Mk1A and for all batches of the Tejas Mk2 and the AMCA TDs.

Not weeks ago but months ago, I have a brochure of LRDE AESA from Defexpo 18 which has a small photo of Uttam integrated with LCA Tejas. Since i am having issues with my pc I have not been able to complete posting on Defexpo 18, will try to post it asap

Austin
BRF Oldie

Postby Austin » 09 Jun 2018 12:54

Deficiencies could delay F-35 full-rate production decision

The Department of Defense agreed with a Government Accountability Office report that it should resolve the Lockheed Martin F-35’s critical deficiencies before requesting funds to pay for full-rate production of the aircraft.

Waiting for the resolution of critical deficiencies in the F-35 Lightning II could delay the aircraft’s full-rate production, which the DoD had planned to begin in 2021.

The department had planned to defer resolving some critical deficiencies found in testing until after its full-rate production decision in October 2019, according to a GAO report released on 5 June. However, the report cited concerns that fixing deficiencies after starting full-rate production could eventually create additional costs to the government.

As of January 2018, the F-35 programme had 966 open deficiencies—111 category one deficiencies, which could jeopardise safety, security, or another critical requirement; and 855 category two deficiencies, which could impede or constrain a successful mission, according to the GAO. At least 25 category one deficiencies and 165 category two deficiencies would not be resolved before planned full-rate production.

Category one deficiencies the Joint Programmee Office planned to solve after full-rate production began involved the air vehicle, avionics, weapons, software and propulsion.

The JPO now plans to resolve all of the F-35’s critical deficiencies prior to entering initial operational test and evaluation, which was anticipated for fall 2018, according the GAO.

chola
BRF Oldie

Postby chola » 09 Jun 2018 16:16

Want to build out your aircraft industry? Make your carriers buy domestic planes by the hundreds.

https://reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKCN1IY0G3
China's HNA, COMAC sign deal for 200 C919, 100 ARJ21 jets
Reuters

Cheen’s first attempt at a large aircraft in the 1970’s the Y-10 is moved to Comac’s Pudong home to serve as inspiration.

“Never Give Up” I like their perserverence. They have legacy to revere and build on.

We need to begin ours soon.

Kartik
BRF Oldie

Postby Kartik » 11 Jun 2018 07:54

Kakarat wrote:

Not weeks ago but months ago, I have a brochure of LRDE AESA from Defexpo 18 which has a small photo of Uttam integrated with LCA Tejas. Since i am having issues with my pc I have not been able to complete posting on Defexpo 18, will try to post it asap

Oh great! Looking forward to seeing the scanned image.

Kakarat
BRFite

Postby Kakarat » 11 Jun 2018 15:32

Kartik wrote:
Kakarat wrote:

Oh great! Looking forward to seeing the scanned image.

Since it is taking time to get my PC fixed posting from my mobile

Austin
BRF Oldie

Postby Austin » 13 Jun 2018 11:51

What was flying over Italy? UFO Search and rescue operation? 27th of May 2018

Singha
BRF Oldie

Postby Singha » 13 Jun 2018 12:35

these days every munna is packing a dlsr , tablet and backpack drone in touristy places....various well worn techniques exist to make hoax videos.

dinesha
BRFite

Postby dinesha » 20 Jun 2018 17:02

France to lead joint fighter jet program with Germany
https://uk.reuters.com/article/us-germa ... KKBN1JF2UJ
The new combat jet is intended to replace from 2040 France’s Dassault Aviation (AVMD.PA) Rafales and Germany’s Eurofighters, made by a European consortium.

The Franco-German agreement calls for work on the project to begin before the end of the year, starting with a study phase, the ministry said.

In addition to being capable of acting on its own, the new aircraft is expected to be at the center of a broader weapons system, capable of commanding a squadron of drones.

Return to “Military Issues & History Forum”