Tejas Mk.1 & Mk.1A News & Discussions: 09 February 2018

JayS
Forum Moderator

Re: Tejas Mk.1 & Mk.1A News & Discussions: 09 February 2018

Post by JayS »

Indranil wrote:
nam wrote:
Of course, I understand, like areas around the engine, where heat is an issue.

Having said that, hunger to find a way of doing it better is what drives innovation. Like the composite created by NAL, which can handle upto 200C and used on the engine bay.

No harm in trying!
It is not about heat tolerance etc. composites are brittle under some stress conditions. So you can’t use them in airframe parts which experience those stress conditions. It is unlikely that you will see the percentage of composites to go up much further in LCA. It is already one of the highest in spite of being such a small plane. You will instead see weight savings by decreasing the number of parts.
They are always brittle. :mrgreen: Certainly you need metals when design requirement is driven by toughness rather than resilience and/or delayed failure or early indication of failure is a must rather than an abrupt failure as how Composites fail.

Composites don't save significant weights everywhere and every time (at least as of today). A well designed an manufactured metallic aircraft structure can easily compete with Composite one in certain situations considering all operational factors in design, MFG, cost and MRO. But Composites have other unassailable advantages such as in stealth or relative ease of significant reduction in part count. The design philosophy itself is not matured enough to use composites to their full potential as of today, let alone the manufacturing and inspection/repair capabilities. For example, the key advantage of composites is inherent ability of having tailor-made anisotropy in material properties or in layman term to put material only where its needed. But as of now, the design philosophy forces the designers to create quasi-isotropic composite materials by trying to balance the layup pattern. That erodes a considerable weight advantage that composites should have had over an isotropic material like Metal. Its easier to save weight in predominantly uniaxial or planer loading conditions. Composites do not really offer significant weight advantage in complex multi-axial loading situations as of now. Metals still offer cheaper and more convenient option in some such situations due to more matured design and manufacturing technology it has.

Additive Manufacturing is adding a new dimension to metals' capabilities parallel. So we are not going to see metals surrendering completely to the composites.

Also "Composites save weight" is same kind of saying as "Canards are bad for stealth" or "canards are draggy". These are engineering statements which always have context and not a Physics statements like "Speed of light is constant". Engineering statements should be taken with pinch of salt.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

JayS A few of us should put our heads together for a comprehensive Additive Mfg all aspects technology plan. I dont want it buried in tech forum.
nam
BRF Oldie

Post by nam »

There is no disagreements on drawbacks of composites related to their thermal and shock handling characteristics. However that does not mean we should not be investing in innovations on bettering it.

If I can create better composites( or other alloy material) which can help in further reducing the weight of LCA, why shouldn't we try it? Reduced the number of parts required, reduces built time. Sitting on our thumbs is not going to cut it.

Composites are coming on to jet engines as well. We need to increase R&D on better composites. LCA program is the perfect base to increase innovation in this area.
JayS
Forum Moderator

Post by JayS »

nam wrote:There is no disagreements on drawbacks of composites related to their thermal and shock handling characteristics. However that does not mean we should not be investing in innovations on bettering it.

If I can create better composites( or other alloy material) which can help in further reducing the weight of LCA, why shouldn't we try it? Reduced the number of parts required, reduces built time. Sitting on our thumbs is not going to cut it.

Composites are coming on to jet engines as well. We need to increase R&D on better composites. LCA program is the perfect base to increase innovation in this area.
Of coarse people are working on improving Composites. And they are working on improving many other things. What makes you think they are siting on their thumbs..? Your own ignorance to things happening around..? NAL already has composite technology which goes a bit ahead of what existing LCA aero-structure uses. A bit of addition to it and we will have something for AMCA. They are working on multiple new interesting things in Composites. Have you bothered to check the publications coming out of NAL recently..? Why don't you try that and post here what you found out. You don't know, doesn't mean people sit on their thumbs.

I don't understand why posters here think they are so smart that they can see the obvious things but the experts who have been working in the fields are dumb enough to ignore them. Many here probably have no first clue about what it takes to develop something in composites or AM in Aerospace and what are all the real life constraints are while applying the same to real product outside the lab.
SriKumar
BRF Oldie

Post by SriKumar »

^^^There is some stuff published on work done for Saras- it is in public domain. Very impressive actually.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

https://twitter.com/livefist/status/1052515282437238786 ---> While HAL battles to meet IAF delivery pace, UAE’s Minister for Defence is said to have expressed ‘keen interest in LCA Tejas’ after scoping out the jet at HAL HQ in Bengaluru today. (LCH in the 2nd photo).

Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

I believe that is Air Commodore KA Muthana (Retd) next to the UAE Minister of Defence.
http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/IAF/Database/16372

https://twitter.com/livefist/status/1052576353067757568 ---> More pictures from the UAE Defence Minister's visit to HAL's Tejas facility in Bengaluru today.

Kartik
BRF Oldie

Post by Kartik »

The fit and finish on the Tejas looks really good. Can someone tell which specific SP we are seeing in those pics? I wasn’t able to decipher the SP-X or XX number below the cockpit.
Trikaal
BRFite

Post by Trikaal »

Kartik wrote:The fit and finish on the Tejas looks really good. Can someone tell which specific SP we are seeing in those pics? I wasn’t able to decipher the SP-X or XX number below the cockpit.
It seems like a two digit number and it was on HAL facility. So I am guessing it is SP-11.
naird
BRFite

Post by naird »

I am sure its SP 12. I can make out 2 very distinctly. This bird looks very finished, not even yellow primer that we are used to see during initial sorties.
nam
BRF Oldie

Post by nam »

Cannot wait for AMCA prototype to roll out with the composite build! It will be top notch.
souravB
BRFite

Post by souravB »

Rakesh wrote:https://twitter.com/livefist/status/1052515282437238786 ---> While HAL battles to meet IAF delivery pace, UAE’s Minister for Defence is said to have expressed ‘keen interest in LCA Tejas’ after scoping out the jet at HAL HQ in Bengaluru today. (LCH in the 2nd photo).
Well obviously they would go for Tejas now. they need something cheaper than F-16 to bomb school children.
JMT
fanne
BRF Oldie

Post by fanne »

LCA body is composite so it will look shiny. The next step in evaluation for HAL is simple, make all parts to precision so that they can be effortlessly interchanged between planes. Jags, one part cannot fit the other )for many parts), in this age of precision manufacturing (even if low volume), this should be the goal. Then advanced sub systems, co-current development, stealth skin, AESA radar....
durairaaj
BRFite

Post by durairaaj »

There is nothing to be proud of UAE minister's visit to HAL. They are simply planning to develop their own aircraft industry. All HAL is doing is introducing technology to a future competitor.
gaurav.p
BRFite

Post by gaurav.p »

Trikaal wrote:
Kartik wrote:The fit and finish on the Tejas looks really good. Can someone tell which specific SP we are seeing in those pics? I wasn’t able to decipher the SP-X or XX number below the cockpit.
It seems like a two digit number and it was on HAL facility. So I am guessing it is SP-11.
It is SP10. It is clear in the images of the tweet. link
JTull
BRF Oldie

Post by JTull »

durairaaj wrote:There is nothing to be proud of UAE minister's visit to HAL. They are simply planning to develop their own aircraft industry. All HAL is doing is introducing technology to a future competitor.
There's nothing wrong with introducing screwdriver technology to UAE!
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

durairaaj wrote:There is nothing to be proud of UAE minister's visit to HAL. They are simply planning to develop their own aircraft industry. All HAL is doing is introducing technology to a future competitor.
It is is precisely this kind of attitude - which is infested in the mind of the Babus at the MoD - that makes India a perpetual importer of weapon platforms and never an exporter. Giving a tour of an aircraft provides zero value to the UAE's aircraft industry (if such a thing even exists!).

This is not a pride issue, but rather an opportunity issue. Now, one can argue that HAL needs to fulfill the IAF's needs first...but that is a production issue which can be changed. The MoD got bucket loads of cash ($15 - $20 billion at minimum) for 110 MII foreign fighters of which private partners are to be roped in, but the MoD is piss poor when it comes to improving the two existing production lines at HAL and adding additional lines.

Think of LIFT type trainers that the Tejas Mk1/Mk1A could serve as. Think of an export run of the Tejas Mk1/Mk1A in triple digits (100+) to foreign countries - UAE, Egypt, Sri Lanka, etc - and think of the valuable lessons HAL will inevitably learn in mass production of their own aircraft. Think of the Tier 1, 2 and 3 suppliers who will also benefit from additional Tejas production - above and beyond - the IAF order.

Take Lockheed Martin's own marketing spin of India exporting F-16s to the world. Why export American F-16s to other countries, when we can export Indian Tejas to other countries? Which clientele can honestly afford a $150+ million on a 4+ gen fighter (which the F-16 Block 70 will work out to, by the time you factor in the spares, weapons, aircraft, etc as in the Bahrain deal), when they can get a Tejas Mk1A for significantly less?

And since we will learn nothing of value from mass producing F-16s and exporting them to other countries, how do you expect the UAE to learn anything of value from India exporting Tejas aircraft to them?

Think of the opportunities. Stop thinking like a dhimmi.
Khalsa
BRFite

Post by Khalsa »

That rather myopic or atleast you are tethering yourself to a very short period based view, IMHO.
What about the HAL employee .... would he / she not feel proud that her work was seen as bench mark for someone wanting to develop their aerospace industry ?

I wonder what Natasha and Sergei (low level employees working at Mig in 1964) felt when Indian defence staff turned up to buy and develop their aerospace industry.

and 60 years later we still pay billions to this country (Russia) who we were meant to outcompete.
Trikaal
BRFite

Post by Trikaal »

Rakesh wrote:This is not a pride issue, but rather an opportunity issue. Now, one can argue that HAL needs to fulfill the IAF's needs first...but that is a production issue which can be changed. The MoD got bucket loads of cash ($15 - $20 billion at minimum) for 110 MII foreign fighters of which private partners are to be roped in, but the MoD is piss poor when it comes to improving the two existing production lines at HAL and adding additional lines.

Think of LIFT type trainers that the Tejas Mk1/Mk1A could serve as. Think of an export run of the Tejas Mk1/Mk1A in triple digits (100+) to foreign countries - UAE, Egypt, Sri Lanka, etc - and think of the valuable lessons HAL will inevitably learn in mass production of their own aircraft. Think of the Tier 1, 2 and 3 suppliers who will also benefit from additional Tejas production - above and beyond - the IAF order.
+1
Tejas has serious export potential as LIFT especially to countries which operate expensive fighters like Eurofighters, Rafales and F-16s. I remember long back even germany proposed to buy Tejas for LIFT role as quid pro quo for selecting Eurofighter in MMRCA-1. A jet like Tejas Mk1 would be perfect for small but rich countries like Singapore and UAE as an economical workhorse.
kit
BRF Oldie

Post by kit »

Khalsa wrote:
That rather myopic or atleast you are tethering yourself to a very short period based view, IMHO.
What about the HAL employee .... would he / she not feel proud that her work was seen as bench mark for someone wanting to develop their aerospace industry ?

I wonder what Natasha and Sergei (low level employees working at Mig in 1964) felt when Indian defence staff turned up to buy and develop their aerospace industry.

and 60 years later we still pay billions to this country (Russia) who we were meant to outcompete.
china did
Katare
BRF Oldie

Post by Katare »

If you got it, flaunt it!!
Gyan
BRFite

Post by Gyan »

UAE minister may just be feeding us some photo ops while pushing Carcal 816 rifle
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

I also feel that HAL is overplaying the "keen interest".
So when should we be proud of? When nobody shows interest?
Kashi
BRF Oldie

Post by Kashi »

Rakesh wrote:Image
Is that SP-10? Where's the slot for the refuelling probe?
durairaaj
BRFite

Post by durairaaj »

Indranil wrote:I also feel that HAL is overplaying the "keen interest".
durairaaj wrote:...
So when should we be proud of? When nobody shows interest?
I would be proud of a visit from LM CEO or BOEING CEO. Because they are superior competitors and such visit reflect the threat posed by HAL to their markets. With UAE, we don't gain much other than photoops with some dignitary. I was very proud when USAF commander wander to fly tejas, months ago. I would be very proud, if IAF includes 100s of Tejas in its ORBAT and other countries wanted to follow suit. However, rejoicing a visit by a dignitary, who does not have an aircraft industry of its own but has every potential to build one, is a bit premature.

If he is really interested in Tejas aircraft, he should have been courted by IAF just like the visit by the USAF commander.

UAE has built a sustainable air transport industry. They will soon venture into aircraft maintenance and build aircraft manufacturing industry, largely manned by Indian and other asian workers. All this visit simply gives them dditional data points for future setting up of their own industry. This visit does not indicate a commercial advantage to Tejas/HAL/India but portends a future competitor.

I made my point and don't want to extend this discussion further. I will stop with this and not reply anymore on this subject.
Katare
BRF Oldie

Post by Katare »

Why would you let a competitor come see your product? Products are shown to prospective customers not competitors. You are nuts!!!
Khalsa
BRFite

Post by Khalsa »

LOL
imagine if Russia, China, France, EU everyone had said that.
You might make AMCA or Tejas Mk2 one day... hence you are a competitor. We won't let you see our product, but you can buy it and fly it.

FFS

Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

I was just going to post the same. May I add one more.

Anyways, I don't think I will change anybody's opinion on the subject. So, this is the last on this subject from me.
suryag
Forum Moderator

Post by suryag »

What a beautiful aircraft, am also saddened at seeing SP10 still in BLR given it flew in July(?) Back then and also prior to that a standard line in the first flight reports/FB accounts have been 2+2 sorties and the aircraft is in the squadron. Not sure what happened in this case.

BTW, i have not yet seen one pic of groups of Tejas or even single ones from sulur(except for the hangar pics) did i miss it ?
Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya_V »

Zooming in on the pic, as a poster mentioned, it looks like SP-12 and not SP-10
Katare
BRF Oldie

Post by Katare »

Khalsa wrote:LOL
imagine if Russia, China, France, EU everyone had said that.
You might make AMCA or Tejas Mk2 one day... hence you are a competitor. We won't let you see our product, but you can buy it and fly it.

FFS

Assuming that you are responding to me?
She has gone there as a customer not a competitor.

I said you show products to your customers not your competitors because he wants LM CEO to come to HAL to look at Tejas to make him proud. If LM CEO wants to buy Tejas than he is a customer and its fine.

Also visits to the plant is not about products alone but seeing the plant, manufacturing and technology. Products are shown to all during airshows and conferences.
kit
BRF Oldie

Post by kit »

fanne wrote:LCA body is composite so it will look shiny. The next step in evaluation for HAL is simple, make all parts to precision so that they can be effortlessly interchanged between planes. Jags, one part cannot fit the other )for many parts), in this age of precision manufacturing (even if low volume), this should be the goal. Then advanced sub systems, co-current development, stealth skin, AESA radar....

That's probably the first step towards a stealth fighter/uav
Kakkaji
BRF Oldie

Post by Kakkaji »

The fact that SP-10 is still in HAL facility is a matter of concern.

Earlier news reports had said that SP-9 also spent 3 months after its delivery to the IAF, going through fixes to problems before it could join squadron service.

SP-5 spent several months undergoing fixes to problems found during ground runs.

It seems to me that production and quality control are still not standardized. Good quality is not being automatically reproduced, and every aircraft is coming out with its own set of problems.

No amount of lobbying and sound bytes will help,if HAL keeps slipping in this area. :(

JMHO
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

SP-5 was first plane from that half line. So will have teething troubles.
Someone said it was hydraulic lines leaking. And were fixed.
Ususally not torqued enough.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

Orders dry up, HAL staff could sit idle
https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/ind ... 289179.cms

Defence PSU HAL staring at a depleting order book has thousands of its employees worried of being idle for months, affecting the morale at the company that has been the backbone of India’s military prowess in the air for decades. HAL has 29,035 employees, including 9,000 engineers. And, they’re spread across nine locations—Bengaluru; Nashik in Maharashtra; Lucknow, Kanpur and Korwa in Uttar Pradesh; Barrackpore in West Bengal; Hyderabad and Kasargod in Kerala—with Bengaluru and Nashik accounting for 10,000 of them. The new helicopter complex in Tumakuru is under development, after inaugurating which some of these employees will be transferred there.

Lull In Fixed Wing Orders

As of today, the aircraft division in Bengaluru with about 3,000 employees has no order to deliver. With the Jaguar and Mirage upgrade programmes having been completed, they are hoping to be diverted to the LCA Tejas division which now has about 2,000 people working. “We were hoping to bag the 108 planes deal (Rafale), preparations for which were done, but since the deal was restricted to just 36 aircraft which will come in flyaway condition, there is no scope anymore,” one senior source in HAL said. With this, HAL has to get the orders for 83 additional Tejas, or render these employees idle. As reported by TOI earlier, while the Defence Acquisition Council (DAC) has cleared procurement of 83 Tejas fighters, it is yet to get converted to an actual order from IAF. “A cost committee has been constituted but it’ll be months before things are agreed upon. Until then there’s no work,” another source said. The Centre and IAF have, earlier this year, complained about the high cost of LCA.

Nothing Post Sukhoi

While this is in Bengaluru, HAL’s Sukhoi Complex in Nashik with 5,000 people have orders that will last just 17 months. Of the 222 Su-30 MK-I aircraft, only the last batch of 23 are pending delivery. “We’ve consistently delivered 12 planes annually. So, 12 of the 23 will be given by March 2019, and the remaining 11 by March 2020, after which there is no work,” the source said. HAL was hoping to use the Nashik facility for the proposed joint venture with Russia which envisaged a fifth generation fighter aircraft (FGFA), which has not taken off so far. And sources indicate that it may even be off the table. This will not just affect the 5,000 working in Nashik, but will also reduce the work at five other centres—the three in UP and one each at Hyderabad and Kasargod—which work on Su-30 subsystems, most notably the avionics. “More than 50% of the workload at these centres will go,” the source said.

Choppers Keep HAL Alive

So, what keeps HAL alive? The only division that has some business is the helicopter division, which is at present working on the orders of 73 Advanced Light Helicopters (ALH), and awaiting orders for LCH. Like LCA, the DAC has cleared 15 LCH procurement, but no orders have been placed yet. “But the actual number must be 155, that is what we had anticipated, and 15 is only the first batch. We’re hoping for more,” the source said. Further, the joint deal with Russia to make the Kamov helicopters is another order that has HAL excited. “Besides, we also have the LUH (light utility helicopter) which will soon get its initial operational clearance. We expect orders there too. India needs more than a 1,000 choppers,” the source said. While HAL did not offer an official comment, Suryadevara Chandrasekar, the chief convenor of All India HAL Employees Trade Unions Co-ordination Committee, said: “We cannot deny that there are no orders and we are staring at becoming idle. That said, we positively anticipate the Centre’s intervention and clearance of more orders in the future.”
Haridas
BRFite

Post by Haridas »

All the HAL facilities that are past their prime screwdrivergiri age shoul be closed, unless new aircrafts & subsystems get made there. No more new HAL locations.

IMHO HAL Korwa (Amethi UP) was congress political largess, that was initially assembling Jaguar IMU/INS components, totelly redundent even in 1986. I am sure lot of wasteful HAL campuses like KorWA exist that need clean up or consolidation.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

IAF is running in a funds crunch for new purchases and AFB upgrades per a report in msm.
with 2019 looming close, next 12 months will be dry days - only halal tonic water no alcohol.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/ind ... 288113.cms
nam
BRF Oldie

Post by nam »

So HAL was trying to cover up the cost of its idle employees by jacking up the price of LCA. IAF has shortage of jets and HAL employees are sitting idle.

What a bizarre situation.And they want to open up another unit tumkur.

I can bet anything under the sun that, no unit of HAL will close. GoI & MoD does not have the will to do the right thing.

Despite realizing LCA is critical, there seem to be no rush on MK1A. Have we ordered enough radar for the first lot?
kit
BRF Oldie

Post by kit »

nam wrote:So HAL was trying to cover up the cost of its idle employees by jacking up the price of LCA. IAF has shortage of jets and HAL employees are sitting idle.

What a bizarre situation.And they want to open up another unit tumkur.

I can bet anything under the sun that, no unit of HAL will close. GoI & MoD does not have the will to do the right thing.

Despite realizing LCA is critical, there seem to be no rush on MK1A. Have we ordered enough radar for the first lot?

Separate the HAL divisions into separate autonomous companies one for helicopters and another for engines and let the core be a lead integrator company . Privatise all of them
Pratyush
BRF Oldie

Post by Pratyush »

WTF, about half not having any orders. I mean it has

1) LUH,
2) ka 62,
3)the light turbo prop trainer plane ( forgot it's name),
4) the LCH .
5) HJT 36
6) Tejas.

So what I am looking at is nearly 1500 air crafts to be built by hal. And people are saying no orders with HAL. What's wrong with this picture?