Tejas Mk.1 & Mk.1A News & Discussions: 09 February 2018

Indranil
Forum Moderator

Re: Tejas Mk.1 & Mk.1A News & Discussions: 09 February 2018

Post by Indranil »

Well, I told you guys that work was going on at a feverish pitch to get SP-16 out by March. Good to see details come put through AK.

It is interesting to see how these battles are fought. Govt. under pressure on why HAL was bypassed on the Rafale deal, brought out all the lacunae in
HAL in the open. HAL is resetting these now. First, an interview with the chairman where he smooths the feathers by saying we are not in the business of offsets. And now, this report showcasing that we are not laggards.

FOC certification and FOC production are now on very firm grounds. Question is where is the Mk1A?
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

Kartik, on LCA, the ALSR system kicks in automatically. Also note the speed: Just 100 knots! They started with 120 knots, and realized that they could go much further down. 100 Knots is the realm of a very select few.
Kakarat
BRF Oldie

Post by Kakarat »

Rakesh wrote:
Kakarat wrote:https://twitter.com/writetake/status/10 ... 4422517760
This is the answer for @Pfaff_JTull asking "What about SP-17 to SP-20?"
Saar, can you elaborate more? What is DAL? Or did Anantha mean HAL?
Is 30 months the timeframe to deliver the four trainers? I doubt that.
Rakesh Ji, According to the article DAL is Drawing Applicability List so AK meant DAL only. And according to the article DAL(Drawing Applicability List) or the build-standard of eight trainers in the FOC version will be ready by February 2019 and the first plane will be likely available to IAF by September, 2021.

The likely scenario would be as per the article

2018-2019 SP10-SP16
2019-2020 SP21-SP36
2020-2021 ?
2021-2022 Trainers production

If HAL delivers up to SP-16 this financial year and 16 SPs next then they should certify and start MKIA deliveries in 2020-2021 otherwise according to present orders the line will be idle between 2020-2021 since trainers will be available only by September 2021. At the same time SP-21 will be available only by October 2019 and I doubt on the possibility of producing 16 aircraft after that in 2019-2020, the MKIA too is expected to have first flight only in 2020-2021

So actual/possible scenario could be

2018-2019 SP10-SP16
2019-2020 SP21-SP27
2020-2021 SP28-SP34/35
2021-2022 SP35/SP36 + Trainers production
MKIA after that

I really hope I am wrong and things happen sooner
Cybaru
BRF Oldie

Post by Cybaru »

<Deleted by self>
Last edited by Cybaru on 13 Nov 2018 04:15, edited 1 time in total.
Prasad
BRF Oldie

Post by Prasad »

Rakesh,
just a bit of re-arrangement

Planned Future Milestones in 2018, 2019 and 2020

- SP-12 to SP-16 (five birds in all) are are all on the final equipping phase.- 16 Tejas aircraft are to be delivered in 2019-20 fiscal year. (All FOC variants?)

SP-12 - As of 11 Nov 2018, SP-12 is ready to undergo a full performance EGR (engine ground run), with first flight in a week's time. LCA Tejas Division (Line 1)
SP-13 - will be ready for maiden flights in December 2018.(Line 2)
SP-14 - with the LCA Tejas Division (Line 1)
SP-15 - will be ready for maiden flights in December 2018.(Line 2)
SP-16 - will have its wings from a private manufacturer - Larsen & Tubro. (who is making the wings now?). LCA Tejas Division (Line 1)

SP-21 - (FOC variant) Assembly of sets of air fame have already started. is expected to have a first flight in October 2019.
SP-22 - Assembly of sets of air fame have already started.
SP-23 - Parts will be up by the first week of December 2018.
SP-24 - Parts will be up by the first week of December 2018.
suryag
Forum Moderator

Post by suryag »

Sirs, is this tejas division and aircraft division logical entities, doesnt seem like they have separate facilities as 13 and 14 are being equipped side by side in the pic
Bala Vignesh
BRF Oldie

Post by Bala Vignesh »

Suryagji,

These are physical entities. The Tejas division is at the far end of the runway towards marathalli and aircraft division is right next to the Overhaul division near the main HAL campus.
Trikaal
BRFite

Post by Trikaal »

A question for the gurus:

What exactly is the need of a fighter plane specific trainer? I know the obvious answer, to train(duh!) but currently there are no trainers available for Tejas and Flying Daggers are working just as well. So what gives? My thoughts are that these are there to train absolutely green rookies while currently, all the pilots in Flying Daggers and Flying Bullets are experienced veterans. If this is true, then can we expect fresh pilots to directly graduate to Tejas divisions once the trainers are in place?
vivekmehta
BRFite -Trainee

Post by vivekmehta »

Trikaal wrote:A question for the gurus:

What exactly is the need of a fighter plane specific trainer? I know the obvious answer, to train(duh!) but currently there are no trainers available for Tejas and Flying Daggers are working just as well. So what gives? My thoughts are that these are there to train absolutely green rookies while currently, all the pilots in Flying Daggers and Flying Bullets are experienced veterans. If this is true, then can we expect fresh pilots to directly graduate to Tejas divisions once the trainers are in place?
if we are looking Tejas as true replacement for MIG 21/23/27 as of now and Tejas MK2 as replacement of Jag + M2000 + mig 29 .then definitely we will need to start pumping fresh blood in upcoming Tejas squadrons. Minimum 12-16 Tejas Squadrons will be coming up in next 8-10 yrs . Tejas will needs it dedicated MTOFTU equipped with its own Trainers to train them.
JayS
Forum Moderator

Post by JayS »

Trikaal wrote:A question for the gurus:

More or less correct. Think of if this way, if you have always driven a diesel car and then one day want to drive a bit underpowered petrol car, you gonna have to adjust your driving and it would take some time depending on your skills. Similarly if you switch from Automatic to Manual transmission. Now scale up the difference by multiple orders of magnitudes and imagine how much time a fighter pilot would need for type conversion even if he is a veteran pilot. Its best to have a proper trainer to reduce type conversion training. As you have correctly mentioned the Sq 45 currently is made up of rather senior officers, some of which have/had even flown test flights for Tejas. They have done quite a lot of simulator training and perhaps few flights in one of the two twin seater trainers currently available before solo first flights. Their experience shows that its easier to learn to fly Tejas with extensive simulator training. But its ideal to have proper trainers which would expedite training. Also the trainer would have added training systems like simulated weapons, simulated missions, dog fights, additional data recorders for pilot performance evaluation etc. which normal fighter would not have. Ultimately, IAF would like to have enough resources to push freshies to Sq service with least possible efforts. We will be seeing up to 18-20 Sq minimum getting inducted in 10-15yrs to come. That means a large number of pilots to be trained and type converted for Tejas. Plus the Trainers retain full combat capability hence there is no dent in the total combat ready force too.

Who knows we might see all IAF pilots' graduating to supersonic flights on Tejas Trainers in future.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

Indranil wrote:..all the lacunae in
HAL in the open. HAL is resetting these now. First, .. we are not in the business of offsets. And now, this report showcasing that we are not laggards.

FOC certification and FOC production are now on very firm grounds. Question is where is the Mk1A?
IOW, #HAL_Chabi is working. ramana might recall these #chabi hashtags. These events points to two levels of chabi turns.

Mk1A : A special crack team will get going soon, when the #chabi is raised to #level3 turn [mukhya mod(i) :mrgreen: ].

#performOrPerish
naird
BRFite

Post by naird »

SaiK wrote:
Indranil wrote:..all the lacunae in
HAL in the open. HAL is resetting these now. First, .. we are not in the business of offsets. And now, this report showcasing that we are not laggards.

IOW, #HAL_Chabi is working. ramana might recall these #chabi hashtags. These events points to two levels of chabi turns.

Mk1A : A special crack team will get going soon, when the #chabi is raised to #level3 turn [mukhya mod(i) :mrgreen: ].

#performOrPerish
Lot is riding on assembly elections. Worried about continuity being lost if power transition happens. Especially considering the fact that so many positive things are happening.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

Prasad wrote:Rakesh,
just a bit of re-arrangement
Thank You Saar. It looks great.

Is everyone ok with this list? Can I put on first page?

Link to list ---> viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7630&p=2304880#p2304880
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

In addition to the above, I am also adding this to page 1 (very important!!!) from SaiK...
SaiK wrote:adding to JayS idea, (if possible), the first post could be sticky to all pages.
---------------------

The prod ramp up per year:
2015-16 : 1
2017 : 2
2018 : 5
2019 : 8 [projected]
2020 : 16 [vision]

^someone can put these in a spreadsheet.
Kartik
BRF Oldie

Post by Kartik »

There was these snippet in AK's article on the ALSR and DRF being tested prior to FOC.
As reported by Onmanorama earlier, Tejas had made its first ever air-to-air wet contact with an Indian Air Force (IAF) tanker over Gwalior in September this year. A Tejas variant (LSP-8) made the wet contact with an IAF IL-78 tanker for the planned air-to-air refuelling. About 1,900 kg of fuel was transferred during the in-flight refuelling process at an altitude of 20,000 feet.

The scientists now say that during the subsequent air-to-air refuelling trials, up to 2,700 kg of fuel was transferred with the maximum fuel carrying load of Tejas being 4,000 kg.
Opens up some very interesting scenarios on the kind of payloads the Tejas Mk1 can carry, with minimal onboard fuel and then tanking up in the air to almost full fuel. Will also allow the Tejas to fly from hot and high airfields and do the same. Not to speak about what it means for range and endurance for missions. LOX cylinders are the constraining factor now, till OBOGS on the Mk2.
Trikaal
BRFite

Post by Trikaal »

Wonder why OBOGS is not being integrated in Mk1 or even 1A. As I remember, DRDO developed the tech a long time back(2013 I think). Maybe space constraints?
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

Indranil wrote: FOC certification and FOC production are now on very firm grounds.
here:
https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/ne ... n=ETTWMain

LCA Tejas will meet deadline: Aeronautical Development Agency
The FOC compliant Tejas would incorporate Beyond Visual Range (BVR) missiles, improved and better stand-off weapons and air-to-air refueling capability.

Now you call this #inter_Org_Chabi! :) ADA says it will meet FOC while HAL says it ADA will not.
“We have forwarded all the drawings of the FOC aircraft to HAL for production. The drawings were handed over in August and we do not
expect any delay. Formally, the FOC should be done by December­ end,”
data points:
As per the initial order, of the 20 IOC aircraft, 16 were meant to be fighter jets and four to be trainers. However, the IAF now wants all the trainers in FOC configuration.

Recently, ahead of the FOC, the Tejas programme attained a significant milestone as it successfully completed the Wet (actual)
engagement by transferring 1900 Kgs fuel from IAF IL78 mid­air refueling tanker.

The 45 Squadron of the IAF “The Flying Daggers” which was the first squadron to be equipped with LCA­Tejas is stationed in an IAF
base in Sulur, near Coimbatore.

Apart from the 40 IOC and FOC standard aircraft HAL has received Request for Proposal (RFP) to supply of 83 Tejas and the
production is planned from 2019­2020. The production of these 83 aircraft will start after the completion of the 20 Final Operational
Clearance (FOC) standard LCA aircraft.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

nice narrations, even I can understand his Hindi
https://youtu.be/4ZrDZum3k7U
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

Page 1 updated. Please check. Mods, please make any changes necessary.

When a milestone is achieved, forum software allows for a strike i.e. First Flight Dec 2018 and I will make a note in Red.
JayS
Forum Moderator

Post by JayS »

Thanks Rakesh. Looks nice.

Until now HAL has been doing the structural sub-assy for wings and three fuselage sections. They are being offloaded to Tier 1 suppliers. Wings from L&T are coming up. Not sure about the status about other three suppliers. Once they start supplying parts, HAL would have more resources freed up for working on final Assy and equipping phase which means boost to production rate with existing set up itself without additional lines.
chola
BRF Oldie

Post by chola »

Rakesh wrote:Page 1 updated. Please check. Mods, please make any changes necessary.

When a milestone is achieved, forum software allows for a strike i.e. First Flight Dec 2018 and I will make a note in Red.
Page bookmarked. I imagine that I will eye each SP as it comes up with bated breath next year. I hope the we reach 8 delivered in 2019 and 16 in 2020.

Momentum has built up so quickly in the past few weeks that sometimes I’m afraid that the other shoe will drop just when I’m at my happiest.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

chola wrote:Momentum has built up so quickly in the past few weeks that sometimes I’m afraid that the other shoe will drop just when I’m at my happiest.
Chola, one cannot go through life living in fear. What has to happen, will happen. But that should not stop the Tejas program. A missile may deviate in its path, but it will ultimately reach its goal.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

JayS wrote:Until now HAL has been doing the structural sub-assy for wings and three fuselage sections. They are being offloaded to Tier 1 suppliers. Wings from L&T are coming up. Not sure about the status about other three suppliers. Once they start supplying parts, HAL would have more resources freed up for working on final Assy and equipping phase which means boost to production rate with existing set up itself without additional lines.
Thank you for answering the bolded part. Good to see L&T take over that role.
Kakarat
BRF Oldie

Post by Kakarat »

Rakesh wrote:In addition to the above, I am also adding this to page 1 (very important!!!) from SaiK...
SaiK wrote:adding to JayS idea, (if possible), the first post could be sticky to all pages.
---------------------

The prod ramp up per year:
2015-16 : 1
2017 : 2
2018 : 5
2019 : 8 [projected]
2020 : 16 [vision]

^someone can put these in a spreadsheet.
I am not able to understand one thing
2018-2019 started with delivery of SP-10, SP-21 is scheduled for October 2019 and the trainers will be available only from 2021

So theoretically it is not possible for 8 aircrafts in 2018-2019 if SP-21 is not delivered before March 2019 and It will be great if they manage 16 between October 2019 to march 2020

Or am I missing something?
ashishvikas
BRFite

Post by ashishvikas »

what's happening in 3rd assembly line ? Looks all SPs (till SP22)are getting build in first 2 lines only.

There's another one which was earlier building Hawks and was told it will be assembling 8 Tejas/year.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

We need to squash that once in for all ashishvikas. Can someone kindly compile a list of the three lines? I will add on page one.

This is my understanding....

Tejas Division (Line 1)
Hawk Division (Line 2)
Su-30MKI Division (Line 3) - proposed

First post on page 1 of this thread is getting long. I will put everything onto a spreadsheet and host on BR server.

But wherever the file sits, I want it to be able to be easily edited by any of the mods. So when a correction or addition is to be made, it can be done right away.

Perhaps Google Docs? Office 365?

Techies, chip in please.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Rakesh wrote:
Tejas Division (Line 1)
Hawk Line (Line 2)
Su-30MKI Line (Line 3) - proposed
its
Tejas Division (Line 1=5)
Hawk Line (Line 1A = 3)
Second Line @ Nekkundi (Line 2 =8)
Su-30MkI line (Line 3) proposed
JayS
Forum Moderator

Post by JayS »

ramana wrote:Rakesh wrote:
Tejas Division (Line 1)
Hawk Line (Line 2)
Su-30MKI Line (Line 3) - proposed
its
Hawk Line Kiran Hanger (Line 1A = 3)
Second Line @ Nekkundi erstwhile Hawk Line(Line 2 =8)
Corrections above. There are couple of mentions that the second line was proposed at Nekkundi, but never happened. Hawk production finished ahead of schedule and no follow on orders were there, hence perhaps HAL converted that space to Line 2.

Also to be noted that Line 1 was set up with 8/yr capacity but could achieve 5/yr due to bottleneck in Equipping phase till last year. Hence HAL took initiative to augment it with Line 1A. While line 2A is funded together by HAL (50%), IAF (25%) and IN (25%). No clarity on Line 3, but likely its again HAL's initiative.

I expect the per yr capacity of above lines to change in coming years with Tier 1 suppliers ramping up sub-assy production.
nits
BRFite

Post by nits »

Rakesh wrote:First post on page 1 of this thread is getting long. I will put everything onto a spreadsheet and host on BR server.

But wherever the file sits, I want it to be able to be easily edited by any of the mods. So when a correction or addition is to be made, it can be done right away.

Techies, chip in please.
We can use Google drive for it with limited shared permission or Google docs also
nam
BRF Oldie

Post by nam »

Would anyone have any update on the status of Uttam integration on LCA? They have integrated it a while ago, however it is all quite on that front.

Then we get the news about ToT of Uttam. Again quite after that.
SBajwa
BRF Oldie

Post by SBajwa »

Rakesh wrote:First post on page 1 of this thread is getting long. I will put everything onto a spreadsheet and host on BR server.

Techies, chip in please.
Google docs
nam
BRF Oldie

Post by nam »

After lot of TRM counting using google images here are some gyaan..

Uttam
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DW6KHseW4AAhVs3.jpg

This 2016 prototype has 750+ TRM. Package of 4 TRM per plank.

Chinese LETRI AESA
https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-eI8zX0-jrEo/ ... MRCA-3.jpg

Looks like it has 850+ TRM

As far i can tell, Uttam "looks" smaller than Letri. However Uttam has 32 TRM in the longest row, while Letri has 28. Our packaging seem more compact.
I don't have details on why LRDE went with this layout, however if we create a layout similar to Letri, we will probably be close to 1000 TRM. The number may have been chosen ,due to power level available on LCA, rather than space constraint.

Now LRDE brought a 4, 6 & 8 TRM plank in 2017. This will negate the space between the planks as it is on the 2016 prototype. It is not public, however I feel LRDE has another prototype using the new planks. If we able to squeeze in 8 TRM per row using the new planks, then Uttam will receive close to 1000 TRM.

Now TFTA Israeli 2052 has 1100+ TRM. The longest row having 34 TRM. If 2052 works for LCA, I would expect IAF asking for 1000+ Uttam.
ArjunPandit
BRF Oldie

Post by ArjunPandit »

Is there any plan for it to upscale Uttam for su 30... I'm salivating on the details
prat.patel
BRFite -Trainee

Post by prat.patel »

JayS wrote:

its
Corrections above. There are couple of mentions that the second line was proposed at Nekkundi, but never happened. Hawk production finished ahead of schedule and no follow on orders were there, hence perhaps HAL converted that space to Line 2.

Also to be noted that Line 1 was set up with 8/yr capacity but could achieve 5/yr due to bottleneck in Equipping phase till last year. Hence HAL took initiative to augment it with Line 1A. While line 2A is funded together by HAL (50%), IAF (25%) and IN (25%). No clarity on Line 3, but likely its again HAL's initiative.

I expect the per yr capacity of above lines to change in coming years with Tier 1 suppliers ramping up sub-assy production.
Thanks for clarifying on this mods.
BTW - on page 1 wherever we have mentioned Line 2, is it really line 2 or is that Line 1A?
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Real Line 2 is not operational yet.

Its still Line 1A.
Khalsa
BRFite

Post by Khalsa »

It has been the best week of my life lurking and frequenting this thread.
So much bliss seeing the tempo build up.
prat.patel
BRFite -Trainee

Post by prat.patel »

ramana wrote:Real Line 2 is not operational yet.

Its still Line 1A.
Got it, Thanks!
ashishvikas
BRFite

Post by ashishvikas »

JayS wrote:

its

@Mods - this piece of information on HAL Production lines should also be bookmarked on page 1.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

nam wrote:
Now TFTA Israeli 2052 has 1100+ TRM. The longest row having 34 TRM. If 2052 works for LCA, I would expect IAF asking for 1000+ Uttam.
But, it would (likely) be staged - TFTA 2052 -> Uttam GaAs -> SDRE Uttam AlGaN. We have to go or going for more powerful engine. We need 10 times more power for future Uttams.
JTull
BRF Oldie

Post by JTull »

ArjunPandit wrote:Is there any plan for it to upscale Uttam for su 30... I'm salivating on the details
Apologies for going OT.

Chinese now have a 3-aerial AESA offering better coverage.
Su-30MKI have a large radome and considerable power. Perhaps next iteration of UTTAM will incorporate something like this.