Tejas Mk.1 & Mk.1A News & Discussions: 09 February 2018

Indranil
Forum Moderator

Re: Tejas Mk.1 & Mk.1A News & Discussions: 09 February 2018

Post by Indranil »

There is no way that IAF/babus will pay more than 1.5x for MK1A than what they are paying for LCA MK1 FOC. This 400 crore per plane cannot be The flyaway cost. IAF/MOD created a committee to look into the price escalation by HAL for MK1A. Nothing has come out which suggest that the committee found any discrepancies.
PratikDas
BRFite

Post by PratikDas »

Indranil wrote:There is no way that IAF/babus will pay more than 1.5x for MK1A than what they are paying for LCA MK1 FOC. This 400 crore per plane cannot be The flyaway cost. IAF/MOD created a committee to look into the price escalation by HAL for MK1A. Nothing has come out which suggest that the committee found any discrepancies.
Did you mean "Nothing has come out which suggest that the committee [has not] found any discrepancies"?
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Folks This military forum. Discussing costs doesn't help anyone. HAL prices the Tejas and MoD buys. Nobody else's business.
End of discussion.
We talk performance, delivery schedule and achievement and weaponry.
Cost and price may can be with motivated journalists.
Thanks for thread hijack. No more into this rabbit hole.
Jayram
BRFite

Post by Jayram »

ramana wrote:Jayram, Congratulations for being part of Tejas development at a young age.
And even more for using knowledge about Aluminium Alloys and grain refinement with micro alloys.
Thanks Ramanagaru. A small effort done a long time ago is still etched clearly in my mind. HAL executives were equally appreciative giving us access and a tour of the Dhruv /LCA and virtually every other shopfloor and hanger freely.
Those were the days!
ks_sachin
BRF Oldie

Post by ks_sachin »

Jayaram as the Americans say.to armed force personnell and vets

Thank you for your service...
RKumar

Post by RKumar »

Rakesh wrote:RKumar, I would love to join you for that Japanese Single Malt Whisky! Tell me time and place please :) I will bring some Glenfiddich single malt scotch as well!

On another note, steer focus away from FOC (it will come when it has to). FOC is not the penultimate goal right now. See this post (on this very page of this dhaaga) ---> viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7630&p=2313063#p2313063
)
Sorry for OT

I am chotta abdul Iiving somewhere in a small cave. I will feel honored to share 2-3 dram with fellow brf rites :)

I will PM you :)
Wickberg
BRFite

Post by Wickberg »

Feels like I´m the oldest one here. I remember reading about the LCA in a Jane´s book in the 80´s about future fighters, It feautured a Gripen in a smashing splinter-camoflage alá Viggen, it also had an Israeli fighter called "Kfir" (wich was ¨the name of a fighter in south america but the real Kfir turned up in China), a yuogoslave fighter which was a a one engined Rafale and a really cool Swizz fighter that was suppose to replace the F-5, Of all those, today only the Gripen and the Chinese Kfir is operational today. LCA this year?
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

tejas has been operational since IOC a few yearsback. it was a stellar performer at IAF's mammoth gaganshakti exercise last year.
mody
BRFite

Post by mody »

Wickberg wrote:Feels like I´m the oldest one here. I remember reading about the LCA in a Jane´s book in the 80´s about future fighters, It feautured a Gripen in a smashing splinter-camoflage alá Viggen, it also had an Israeli fighter called "Kfir" (wich was ¨the name of a fighter in south america but the real Kfir turned up in China), a yuogoslave fighter which was a a one engined Rafale and a really cool Swizz fighter that was suppose to replace the F-5, Of all those, today only the Gripen and the Chinese Kfir is operational today. LCA this year?
LCA is already operational and in squadron service with IAF. If by service you mean having the Final Operational Clearance (FOC), version, then yes this year it is. FOC has been achieved and production go ahead has been given to HAL. So this year FOC Tejas will roll and soar !!!
raghuk
BRFite -Trainee

Post by raghuk »

mody wrote:
Wickberg wrote:Feels like I´m the oldest one here. I remember reading about the LCA in a Jane´s book in the 80´s about future fighters, It feautured a Gripen in a smashing splinter-camoflage alá Viggen, it also had an Israeli fighter called "Kfir" (wich was ¨the name of a fighter in south america but the real Kfir turned up in China), a yuogoslave fighter which was a a one engined Rafale and a really cool Swizz fighter that was suppose to replace the F-5, Of all those, today only the Gripen and the Chinese Kfir is operational today. LCA this year?
LCA is already operational and in squadron service with IAF. If by service you mean having the Final Operational Clearance (FOC), version, then yes this year it is. FOC has been achieved and production go ahead has been given to HAL. So this year FOC Tejas will roll and soar !!!
Will soar and ensure no inferior Eurocanard (read JAS 39) is inducted in the IAF
Cheers!
sudeepj
BRFite

Post by sudeepj »

Indranil wrote:There is no way that IAF/babus will pay more than 1.5x for MK1A than what they are paying for LCA MK1 FOC. This 400 crore per plane cannot be The flyaway cost. IAF/MOD created a committee to look into the price escalation by HAL for MK1A. Nothing has come out which suggest that the committee found any discrepancies.
Considering the figure of 670 crores for the basic rafale, from this interview of SuSri Sitharaman, this LCA will be still a bargain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABy-97wvkf4

Esp. if it can mount the meteor at some point in time.
JayS
Forum Moderator

Post by JayS »

Can we ban use of words "LCA" or "Tejas" and "Meteor" together in one post...? :wink:
sudeepj
BRFite

Post by sudeepj »

HaHa.. why? :-) weight wise, the missile does not appear exceptional. Are there some other requirements that preclude carriage by the LCA?
ks_sachin
BRF Oldie

Post by ks_sachin »

sudeepj wrote:HaHa.. why? :-) weight wise, the missile does not appear exceptional. Are there some other requirements that preclude carriage by the LCA?
MBDA will not talk to Elta
ashishvikas
BRFite

Post by ashishvikas »

Malaysia shows interest in India's Tejas fighter jets, may buy 30 of them
By Ajai Shukla | January 09 2019

https://wap.business-standard.com/artic ... ssion=true

http://ajaishukla.blogspot.com/2019/01/ ... i.html?m=1
Khalsa
BRFite

Post by Khalsa »

Interesting especially cause I saw a JF-17 in colors other than PAF.
Time for the business to drive the Tejas to its final operating altitude.

If necessity is the mother of invention then surely competition is the father of improvement.
Good times ahead
ashishvikas
BRFite

Post by ashishvikas »

Livefist tweets :

Nice! The LCA Tejas heads to Langkawi, Malaysia for LIMA 2019 in March, its 2nd foreign sojourn after the Bahrain Air Show in 2016. Will be part of the flying display.

https://twitter.com/livefist/status/108 ... 65760?s=19
yensoy
BRF Oldie

Post by yensoy »

HAL needs to engage the likes of Royal Enfield/Mahindra/Tata to build an export oriented manufacturing & service mindset. Merely building a platform (however big an achievement it may be) isn't enough when it comes to a complex relationship like one would have with a customer of fighter platform. Let's get our own order done, and our house in order so we can have order in the House. HAL has other platforms which it has successfully mastered (Dhruv and variants) which it can commercialize first.

Not saying that export is not a worthy goal, or any barbs at Tejas, but this is an unnecessary distraction at this point in time.
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

This cautious mindset is what causes Indian programs to get ignored. Whether we like it or not, we have to start learning to work on multiple things in parallel.
nam
BRF Oldie

Post by nam »

Setting a roadmap in terms of FOC, MK1A & MK2 by IAF provides a great support to LCA, when it needs to compete in the export market.

Countries realise that it is getting inducted in large numbers (200 to 300) and there is a update pipeline already decided. This allows for easier spare support and availability of updates for a long time.

JF17 though inducted in to PAF is fundamentally a export market jet, not inducted in it's home airforce PLAAF. Pakistan does not produce any parts, so why would Malaysia deal with them.
mody
BRFite

Post by mody »

More then the engine, Israeli radar and EW suite might be a problem in exporting the Tejas to countries like Malaysia and Indonesia.
We need to have our own radar, EW suite and weapons package for the Tejas to succeed in the export market. On the weapons front, we are getting there with the Astra and an array of air to ground guided weapons coming up. Non guided bombs are already there. For laser guided, I guess the Tejas might have to qualified to Paveway II and Russian offering as well, apart from Griffin. Though I guess this should be doable. For WVR, R-73 is acceptable to most. For any other option, the buyer can pay for the integration cost.
nam
BRF Oldie

Post by nam »

Looks like Malaysia is doing a RFI. It seems to called in T50, JF17, Gripen and now LCA. So i don't think they will buy LCA. This is just checking out the options.

Given the 404 engine, chances are US may force Malaysia to buy F16, instead of giving approval for engine.

I will just wait for the airshow flying. I don't think it is going further. Moreover if they do buy it.. chances are it would be going up against Singapore!
Aarvee
BRFite

Post by Aarvee »

AShukla's blog says this:

"(FOC) configuration, which was accorded on December 31."

Was this missed...?
yensoy
BRF Oldie

Post by yensoy »

It's not caution. It is realism, in terms of our own needs, capabilities measured by fielded units/track record, and honest understanding of what it takes to be a global player. LCA is not there yet. Dhruv is far ahead. There are various success stories with other governmental organizations. ISRO has been a major player for several years now, and the various rail factories are rediscovering their practice-honed abilities after decades of aiming low (refurbishing MG rolling stock for export to "poorer" nations).

Wholly expected is the fact behind this news blip, which is that this is only an RFI with very strong and proven competitors.
Kartik
BRF Oldie

Post by Kartik »

Don't get carried away with this report. the RMAF requirement is for a Lead-In Fighter Trainer which can also double as a light fighter..and while the Tejas has a trainer variant, there is a LOT of work to be done to make it reach the T-50 level or the M-346 level for the trainer role, in the simulator and ground training set up that KAI and Alenia already have a lot of experience with. Equipped with a good radar and superb FBW, the Tejas trainer is superior to the T-50 or TA-50 or the weaponised M-346 Master, but HAL has not yet gotten heavily involved in the ground training element or synthetic training onboard the trainer.

This was an area where even HAL's test pilot Grp Cpt Muthanna had in an interview mentioned that there was plenty of scope. But the IAF had so far not shown any interest in using the Tejas trainer as anything other than a type conversion platform to train new pilots joining a squadron or for keeping squadron pilots current..the IAF could easily ask for 2 squadrons of Tejas trainers as LIFT optimized trainers and contract HAL to build the simulators and the ground debrief stations that . But in the absence of that happening, the RMAF will find the Tejas superior to all other light fighters bar the Gripen C, but it will fall short of the T-50 in terms of the simulators, syllabus and so on.

And KAI has been aiming the T-50 at the RMAF for a lot longer, whereas HAL and the Indian MoD will be newcomers to this particular contest.

LIMA '17- KAI pitches T-50 for future Malaysia trainer
Korea Aerospace Industies (KAI) is promoting its T-50 advanced jet trainer, light attack aircraft to Kuala Lumpur.

KAI had a large stand at this year’s show at the Langkawi Internationa Maritime & Aerospace Exhibition. Its appearancec was also in support of the South Korean air force’s Black Eagles display team, which performed daily in the show’s flying display.

The Black Eagles display with eight T-50B aircraft. It started using the type in 2009, having previously used the Cessna A-37 Dragonfly.

There is a no formal requirement for new trainer aircraft in Malaysia, so KAI sees its presence at the show as mainly introductory in nature.
The type fills two roles, both as an advanced jet trainer and a light attack aircraft. It is understood that all T-50 aircraft subsequently produced will be the FA-50 variant, which has a light attack capability with precision weapons, and a cannon.

KAI has enjoyed strong success with the type in Southeast Asia, selling the aircraft to the Philippines, Thailand, and Indonesia.

Kuala Lumpur has insufficient assets for training pilots, with just seven MB-339CM trainers – the eight aircraft crashed in May 2016, with both the pilot and co-pilot ejecting safely.

A decision on new trainers is likely to be years away. It is unlikely made until Kuala Lumpur selects a new fighter under the auspices of the Multi-role Combat Aircraft (MRCA) deal. The MRCA decision has been delayed for years, with no clarity on timelines.
And please read this article fully- it has a wealth of info on what is needed to beat the T-50 if the requirement is primarily for a LIFT with some secondary light fighter capability and not the other way around.

Also this article is worth reading because of its wealth of info..such a detailed evaluation ! I so wish someone like Craig Hoyle or someone with this level of insight would have done a test flight report on the SP Tejas Mk1..sadly Peter Collins, who did this T-50 evaluation is no more.

Flight test- KAI T-50 - Flight Global
The KAI training centre and simulator building to support the T-50’s introduction into South Korean service is sited at Gwanju airbase 200km north of Sachon. The new building has computer-based training rooms for up to 80 students and a large auditorium for computer-assisted instruction. For ground crew there are several large workshop/training rooms featuring actual T-50 hardware such as the wing, engine and landing gear.

For the pilots there are two operational flight trainers (OFT) and two more advanced full mission trainers (FMT) with 300° by 135° dome visuals. The FMTs can be linked together for battle pair or 1 vs 1 training. With about 45min in each simulator type I was able quickly to get familiar with the cockpit and flight characteristics. The OFT and FMT were both excellent in terms of visual fidelity, control feel and control response. The overall impression was of a company committed to supporting its product at a level equal to anything on offer by a Western aircraft manufacturer.

Basic operating empty weight for the production T-50 is 6,620kg, but the additional test instrumentation took our maximum all-up weight to 8,870kg, with a centre of gravity position of 35.5% mean aerodynamic chord. Limitations on the prototype include a maximum speed of M1.3 (M1.5 for the production T-50) and ceiling of 42,000ft (12,800m – 55,000ft for the production version). In all other aerodynamic and control respects the prototype was identical to a production aircraft.

The T-50 is powered by a General Electric F404-102 afterburning turbofan producing 11,900lb (53kN) of military power and 17,700lb thrust with reheat. Quoted thrust/weight ratio with full internal fuel is 0.92. Dual-channel full-authority digital engine control is fitted.

The seat is raked back 17° and setting the design eyepoint for the HUD and forward field-of-view (FoV) using an electric height adjustment, and then adjusting the rudder pedals, was delightfully easy. I found the T-50 to have one of the most comfortable cockpits I have flown in. After positioning the arm support for the flight-control sidestick on the right-hand side of the cockpit, I never readjusted a thing. Total FOV was superb and I could see at least 320° in azimuth. The canopy arch is there to give increased birdstrike protection to the curved windscreen at low altitude, but I did not find the structure in any way obtrusive.

Kartik
BRF Oldie

Post by Kartik »

the RMAF requirement

Vips
BRF Oldie

Post by Vips »

ashishvikas wrote:Malaysia shows interest in India's Tejas fighter jets, may buy 30 of them

Shook-Law is a first rate DDM. LCA is being called in for just for an evaluation and he sensationalizes the news as Malaysia 'may buy the LCA'. :roll:
Neshant
BRF Oldie

Post by Neshant »

The article seems to suggest the selling point of the 2 seater LCA is as an "advanced trainer" which doubles up as a fighter - on a budget.

Only a few aircraft in the world fit this profile.

The F-5 was one - used as both aggressor squadron trainer and in various air forces.

The Hawk tries to be one - but is a trainer.

Various L-39 derivatives - also a subsonic trainer.

Actually this marketing angle for the 2 seater LCA is pretty good and HAL should pump it for all its worth - advanced trainer & budget fighter.

The JF-17 could also fit that role - but who'd be trusting China.
Last edited by Neshant on 10 Jan 2019 08:56, edited 1 time in total.
yensoy
BRF Oldie

Post by yensoy »

Vips wrote:
ashishvikas wrote:Malaysia shows interest in India's Tejas fighter jets, may buy 30 of them

Shook-Law is a first rate DDM. LCA is being called in for just for an evaluation and he sensationalizes the news as Malaysia 'may buy the LCA'. :roll:
He is certainly quite the hack. An aircraft type which Malaysia is coincidentally referring to as the "light combat aircraft" is being misinterpreted as our own Tejas. There is no relationship here other than a common name.
brar_w
BRF Oldie

Post by brar_w »

The article seems to suggest the selling point of the 2 seater LCA is as an "advanced trainer" which doubles up as a fighter - on a budget.

Only a few aircraft in the world fit this profile.
The T-50/F/A-50, and the M346 both have advanced trainer and light fighter elements depending via different variants. YAK-130 too also has an attack variant.T-50/F50 is supersonic while the others are high subsonic. All of them start off as advanced trainers so one huge disadvantage they are going to have compared to the LCA is going to be in the light fighter roles assuming that a potential export customer weighs that more heavily. They are top of the line advanced trainers though with a lot invested in that training element both live and virtual.

Malaysia is also a Boeing F/A-18 operator so there is also a possibility, given their decision timeframe (2025-2030), that Boeing launches a trainer+light fighter variant of its T-X by then because some of the work needed for that conversion is going to be relevant to the USAF as well (aggressor role). If they value combat performance then it is tough to see how anything can compete with the LCA MK1A besides perhaps the Gripen. No other aircraft in this class will have the sensor or weapons combinations. If however, they value the advanced training mission more, then they have a lot more options.
disha
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by disha »

Neshant wrote:The JF-17 could also fit that role - but who'd be trusting China.
JF-17 is a very potent aircraft and can fit in several roles, including a multi-multi role.

It though needs to fly reliably first. It was a no-show in Bahrain and most likely will be a no-show in Malaysia.
ArjunPandit
BRF Oldie

Post by ArjunPandit »

^^lets be serious sir, JF17 is high flying in green crescent colours. They have 50 of these. It is so reliable that pakis are getting 250. Haven't you seen the TFTA videos? Regarding Bahrain, the pilot protested against killings in kashmir and didnt want to stand next to third grade pilots of IAF. So that their skills to dogfight ..oops disengage dont get destroyed.
OTOH, this may be their real cruise missile with uber cool autonomous PI (Paki Intelligence) based target identification, acquisition and kamikaze optimization
ks_sachin
BRF Oldie

Post by ks_sachin »

ArjunPandit wrote:^^lets be serious sir, JF17 is high flying in green crescent colours. They have 50 of these. It is so reliable that pakis are getting 250. Haven't you seen the TFTA videos? Regarding Bahrain, the pilot protested against killings in kashmir and didnt want to stand next to third grade pilots of IAF. So that their skills to dogfight ..oops disengage dont get destroyed.
OTOH, this may be their real cruise missile with uber cool autonomous PI (Paki Intelligence) based target identification, acquisition and kamikaze optimization
Only us fanboys underestimate the enemy...
JTull
BRF Oldie

Post by JTull »

Can't imagine Malaysia buying JF-17 and then hosting IAF Sukhois for training. They certainly will have less access to Indian facilities, spares, etc. It'd be a strategic mistake by them.
ArjunPandit
BRF Oldie

Post by ArjunPandit »

^^could it be for gauging the capabilities of JF17??
John
BRF Oldie

Post by John »

Can we stick to topic? This is turning into discussion for Malaysia RFI? There is intl thread for that.
disha
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by disha »

ks_sachin wrote:Only us fanboys underestimate the enemy...
Only us jingoes dhot-shiver at the drop of paghdi (head dress) [even of others]....

As LCA is eye'd for exports to other countries, comparisons will come up. And it is human tendency to reduce a platform to a point and then do a checkmark to checkmark comparison which is contradictory in its very nature. Such comparisons are useless.

Currently the biggest issue is HALs inability to scale up production. This is a bottleneck which must be overcome.
ks_sachin
BRF Oldie

Post by ks_sachin »

I am not a jingo does that make me less of a nationalist. Quiet satisfaction and pride is more my thing..
Khalsa
BRFite

Post by Khalsa »

ks_sachin wrote:I am not a jingo does that make me less of a nationalist. Quiet satisfaction and pride is more my thing..
+1
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

^^ wrong. by BRF terminology you are still jingos; just level headed ones. ;)