DefExpo 2018 Chennai

A Deshmukh
BRFite

Re: DefExpo 2018 Chennai

Post by A Deshmukh »

With the RM meeting lot of other Defence Ministers on the sidelines, I hope these meetings translate into orders:
- Pinaka, Atags, Dhanush
- Dhruv/Rudra/LCH
- Akash, Brahmos
- Arjun
- Radars.
- Ships, Torpedoes.
We now have innumerable good products.
Amardeep Mishra
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Amardeep Mishra »

Hi, I wish to add pics, How can I add them here? Kindly help!

Admin Note:
1) You got to upload the image in some image hosting site and paste that image link to your post
2) add the tags [img]and[/img] to both sides of the URL eg: [img]image_link[/img]
3) post it
nam
BRF Oldie

Post by nam »

Winners of the challenge. First prize by NIT Karnataka, for auto pilot on GPS degradation. DRDO should regularly conduct such challenges.

Kakarat
BRF Oldie

Post by Kakarat »

Visited Defexpo today and me and Bob V had a good time, the arrangements were good considering this is the first time such a Expo is happning in chennai. There is good parking area available but it was chaotic after the expo ended primarely because of the small roads and the wonderful attitude of our drivers, I would advice those going after this to leave early.

Have a lot of data and photos to share and there was a surprise exibit. It will take me atleast a month to edit and post all of it so kindly bare with me. All the pics i share will be watermarked no change in it
Kakarat
BRF Oldie

Post by Kakarat »

A Deshmukh wrote:With the RM meeting lot of other Defence Ministers on the sidelines, I hope these meetings translate into orders:
- Pinaka, Atags, Dhanush
- Dhruv/Rudra/LCH
- Akash, Brahmos
- Arjun
- Radars.
- Ships, Torpedoes.

The message I got from my discussion with the exibitors boyh from DRDO & Industry is that the gov has cleared a lot of sustems for export and are keen on exports
darshhan
BRF Oldie

Post by darshhan »

Kakarat wrote:
A Deshmukh wrote:With the RM meeting lot of other Defence Ministers on the sidelines, I hope these meetings translate into orders:
- Pinaka, Atags, Dhanush
- Dhruv/Rudra/LCH
- Akash, Brahmos
- Arjun
- Radars.
- Ships, Torpedoes.

The message I got from my discussion with the exibitors boyh from DRDO & Industry is that the gov has cleared a lot of sustems for export and are keen on exports
The question is whether the nominated production agencies have any spare capacity to begin with after supplying to Indian forces?
nam
BRF Oldie

Post by nam »

Kakarat wrote:

Just curious to know if you got an opportunity to ask Kalyani if they have managed to test out ULWH and Light 105 gun?
Kakarat
BRF Oldie

Post by Kakarat »

ramana wrote: A few questions:

What is the status if Dhanush trials?
What is status of M777 firing tables?
Did they complete the instrumented (import from US) shells firing from M777?

Has the root cause been found for both shortcomings?

Also the muzzle strike etc., happen with which OFB shell? ERFB at max charge only?
Has the Dhanush Induction Center been setup?

If you can find Lt. Gen. Anjan Mukherjee(R) former DG Arty and/or Lt Gen. P.R. Shankar, please ask them and tell about our interest.

Also any news about Arjun -2 induction?
According to one of the OFB official I met Dhanush has cleared internal trials and soon the first 18 45cal guns will be delivered and the 52 cal gun is too ready and soon go for trials but they were not ready to talk in details on the issue and called it a ammo issue.

I am sorry on M777, we were late to the BAE stall and the officials were leaving and refused to talk (desi offcials were really good and happy to talk and give details)

But to compensate for that Kalyani 155mm ULH is ready and the gun alone has been tested and its a 100% inhouse design no forign input. they are making two versions one is mande of steel and other is titanium. the steel version will weight 6 tons but costs less and is modular and can be divided into two parts for transportation by helicopter ane other is completely titanium and will wight between 4.5 to 4.8 tons but cost more. The steel version is ready & is headding for trials as complete system next month & will be handed over for usertrials with in the next couple of months. The titanium version will also be ready soon.

Kalyani is also working on a mounted 155mm ULH using Advance Hybrid recoil which is also almost ready and tested as complete systen in another couple of months. Kalyanis has increased their defence potfolio considerably
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

kakarat any brochures or pics from the indian exhibits, DRDO, BEL, Pvt companies
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

https://www.army-technology.com/contrac ... me_bocuze/

L:D of upto 35 for APFSDS
Kalyani has clearly selected a very specialized partner.
Has the potential to revolutionize IA lethality and move it away from imported Russian 1980s era junk
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Karan M wrote:https://www.army-technology.com/contrac ... me_bocuze/

Has the potential to revolutionize IA lethality and move it away from imported Russian 1980s era junk

Great move. Will revolutionize aircraft ammo too.
Thakur_B
BRF Oldie

Post by Thakur_B »

That ratio seems to be for 120mm rounds. Doubt if that would work for 125mm round.
Amardeep Mishra
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Amardeep Mishra »

Kakarat wrote:Visited Defexpo today and me and Bob V had a good time, the arrangements were good considering this is the first time such a Expo is happning in chennai. There is good parking area available but it was chaotic after the expo ended primarely because of the small roads and the wonderful attitude of our drivers, I would advice those going after this to leave early.

Have a lot of data and photos to share and there was a surprise exibit. It will take me atleast a month to edit and post all of it so kindly bare with me. All the pics i share will be watermarked no change in it
If you use linux like myself then you can watermark them by following my very own bash script-
1) Create a directory to store all the pics- mkdir def_expo_2018
2) Create a watermark file in the above created directory--basically a png or jpg with your specific watermark. You can create it in imagemagic and store it as "Watermark.png".
Now cd into above created directory and run the following code-
for i in *.jpg; do
composite -dissolve 50% -gravity center Watermark.jpg $i ${i//.jpg}-stamped.jpg
done
Kakarat
BRF Oldie

Post by Kakarat »

Karan M wrote:kakarat any brochures or pics from the indian exhibits, DRDO, BEL, Pvt companies
I have collected as much as possible will post as much as possible
Kakarat
BRF Oldie

Post by Kakarat »

There is a DD program on Defexpo running live now

There was a spicial PM pavilion and most of the important weapons are displayed their and we werew not allowed there
From the tv program It seems Kalyani mounted 155mm ULH is also ready and is being displayed at the PM pavilion
Bart S
BRF Oldie

Post by Bart S »

Kakarat wrote:There is a DD program on Defexpo running live now

There was a spicial PM pavilion and most of the important weapons are displayed their and we werew not allowed there
From the tv program It seems Kalyani mounted 155mm ULH is also ready and is being displayed at the PM pavilion
What does PM stand for? Is that section unavailable on all days or just for the initial couple of days?
jaysimha
BRFite

Post by jaysimha »

Kakarat
BRF Oldie

Post by Kakarat »

Bart S wrote:
Kakarat wrote:There is a DD program on Defexpo running live now

What does PM stand for? Is that section unavailable on all days or just for the initial couple of days?
Prime minister pavilion
Bob V
BRFite

Post by Bob V »

Karan M wrote:kakarat any brochures or pics from the indian exhibits, DRDO, BEL, Pvt companies
Saar, we got one bag full of brochures. I was literally dragging it around. We almost ransacked every stall we visited. :mrgreen: And a minimum of 500 pics. Rest assured, there's a lot of data for you guys to ponder over.
Bart S
BRF Oldie

Post by Bart S »

Kakarat wrote:
Bart S wrote:
Prime minister pavilion
Ah, OK. Just saw that PM is in Chennai today, so figures.

Hope they open it up after he is done visiting.
Kakarat
BRF Oldie

Post by Kakarat »

An Important exibit at DefExpo2018 the Mounted Gun System a joint product of OFB and BEML. Its basically 155mm 52cal Dhanush mounted on a BEML Tatra and according to the officials it is heading to trials within the next couple of months

https://twitter.com/kakarat2001/status/ ... 2538476545

jaysimha
BRFite

Post by jaysimha »

Indian Naval Ships open to Visitors on 13 & 15 April 2018 During DefExpo India – 2018

Indian Naval ships will be open to visitors for two days on 13 and 15 April 2018 from 0800 hrs to 1700 hrs at the Chennai Port Trust during the DefExpo India – 2018.

Public interested to visit the Indian Naval ships are to assemble at the Island Exhibition Ground from where shuttle bus services will be run by the Indian Navy to take the visitors to the ship inside Chennai Port Trust and back. Public should not assemble at the Port Trust Gates.

Strict security checks will be instituted. Every person including ladies and children above 5 years are to carry original valid IDs along with a photocopy for deposit as part of security checks. Hand baggage, camera, water bottles, umbrellas, sticks etc. are not permitted and photography is prohibited.

Children below five years are not permitted due to safety concerns and foreigners are not permitted due to immigration requirement.

SRR/NAo/Rajib

(Release ID :178573)
arshyam
BRF Oldie

Post by arshyam »

Anyone coming today? I am walking down to the venue as they have stopped traffic in the last 2 km
jaysimha
BRFite

Post by jaysimha »

Ministry of Defence10-April, 2018 20:12 IST
DRDO at DefExpo 2018: Exhibiting the technology might

Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO), with a saga of achievements in last 60 years would be showcasing its flagship products during the DefExpo India – 2018, being held in Chennai from 11 – 14 April 2018.

An exclusive India Pavilion is being set up for the first time in DefExpo, which will showcase the combined strength of DRDO, Public and Private Sector in defence manufacturing.

DRDO is the largest exhibitor showcasing its innovations in all formats i.e. indoor, outdoor and live demo. DRDO is putting up flagship products and systems in two broad categories, one pertaining to technologies ready for transfer to industries for productionisation and the other pertaining to technologies ready for exports.

DRDO will be participating in the live demo for some of its indigenously designed and developed products, which includes Light Combat Aircraft – Tejas, Main Battle Tank Arjun MK-II, Arjun Armoured Recovery and Repair Vehicle (ARRV), T-72 Trawl, T-72 Bridge Layer Tank, Wheeled Armoured Platform (WhaP), Mobile Surveillance System and Advanced Towed Artillery Gun System (ATAGS).

The outdoor exhibits include Nirbhay Missile System with Launcher, Autonomous Unmanned Ground Vehicle (AUGV), MBT Arjun Mk-I, Astra Missile, Low Level Transportable Radar (LLTR) System, Medium Power Radar (MPR) System, Convoy Jammer, Multipurpose Decontamination System (MPDS), Varunastra - Heavy Weight Anti Submarine Electric Torpedo, Bio-Toilet, etc.

The indoor exhibit area would be having more than 400 exhibits. The exhibits include technologies pertaining to aeronautics, missiles, armaments, combat vehicles, naval systems, electronics, information warfare and life sciences. The pavilion also presents an array of digital experiences including war game simulation zone, augmented reality, virtual reality, physical simulators, etc.

During the event, Transfer of Technology (ToT) of DRDO developed products to Private Industry and DPSU Partners will be done in the presence of Raksha Mantri Smt Nirmala Sitharaman on 11 April 2018 at the venue. Some of these include: ASTRA Missile, Varunastra - Heavy weight torpedo, Anti Thermal Anti Laser Grenade, Identification of Friend & Foe (IFF), HUMSA – UG, ABHAY Sonar, etc. A record number of 200 ToTs in the last three years with revenue generation to the tune of Rs 190 crore by DRDO has spurred the growth of defence manufacturing sector, echoing the theme of DefExpo - 2018, ‘India : The Emerging Defence Manufacturing Hub’.

A DRDO Press Conference addressed by Chairman DRDO & Secretary, Department of Defence R&D Dr S Christopher, will be held on 13 April 2018 at the venue.

DRDO’s participation in DefExpo – 2018 is expected to provide a platform for collaboration with industry and open out opportunities for export of defence technologies. DRDO welcomes one and all to its pavilion to get a first-hand account of capabilities of our nation in the area of advanced defence technologies and opportunity to share the pride of the vibrant DRDO community.

SRR/NAo/Rajib

(Release ID :178578)
arshyam
BRF Oldie

Post by arshyam »

Anyone coming today? I am walking down to the venue as they have stopped traffic in the last 2 km
jaysimha
BRFite

Post by jaysimha »

Ministry of Defence
DRDO Celebrates ‘Make in India’ Spirit in Defexpo – 2018
Posted On: 11 APR 2018 9:08PM by PIB Delhi
Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) transferred eight technologies to seven industries from private and public sector in the presence of Raksha Mantri Smt Nirmala Sitharaman during DefExpo India – 2018 at Thiruvidanthai, Kancheepuram district on the East Coast Road near Chennai, today. The spectrum of products include missiles, torpedoes, grenades, sonars, sonar dome, gas turbine technologies and Identification of Friend and Foe (IFF) systems.

This occasion saw the symbolic handing over of the total accrued Transfer of Technology (ToT) fee of Rs 192 crore by Chairman DRDO & Secretary, Department of Defence R&D Dr. S Christopher to Raksha Mantri arising from 290 ToTs by DRDO to industries from 2015 to till date. A record number of 112 ToTs were executed in 2017 and a record ToT fee of Rs 158 crore has accrued in this year alone till date, breaking all previous records.

This will provide a major boost to the "Make-In-India" programme envisioned by the Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi. Following three products were handed over to the Chief of Naval Staff Admiral Sunil Lanba by Raksha Mantri Smt Nirmala Sitharaman:-

Processor based Moored Mines
Advanced VLF Modulator & De-Modulator
Modern ESM System - Varuna

The Light Combat Aircraft - Tejas, which is designed and developed by ADA – a autonomous society of DRDO was amongst the major product that found mention during the function. So was BrahMos missile, the major sub systems of which were indigenized and developed in line with Make in India by DRDL, a laboratory of DRDO, and productionized as well as marketed by BrahMos Aerospace Limited, a joint venture of DRDO and NPOM, Russia.

To celebrate sixty years of its existence, DRDO has had a number of events to commemorate the celebrations such as outreach programmes for industry and S&T in schools & colleges, S&T exhibitions, Cyber Challenge, Public Lectures by Young Scientists, National Level Essay Competition and Skill India initiatives.

A commemorative postal stamp designed by the Department of Post & Telegraph was released on the occasion to honour DRDO scientists, both past and present, who have contributed in the 60 year journey of making India self-sufficient and self-reliant in Defence technologies and systems.

The ToT to industry partners are as under:

Sl No.

Technologies

Industry Partner

ASTRA Missile
M/s BDL, Hyderabad

Heavy Weight Torpedo Varunastra
M/s BDL, Hyderabad

Anti-Thermal/Anti Laser Grenade
Ordnance Factory, Dehu Road

Identification of Friend or Foe (IFF)
M/s Data Pattern, Chennai
M/s BEL, Bengaluru
M/s Alpha Design Ltd, Bengaluru

Sonar Dome
M/s Keneco Pvt., Goa

Small Turbo Fan Engine
M/s Lakshmi Machine Works, Coimbatore

HUMSA – UG Sonar
M/s BEL, Bengaluru

ABHAY Sonar
M/s BEL, Bengaluru

SRR/NAo/Rajib

(Release ID: 1528746) Visitor Counter : 26
Kakarat
BRF Oldie

Post by Kakarat »

Bob V wrote:
Saar, we got one bag full of brochures. I was literally dragging it around. We almost ransacked every stall we visited. :mrgreen: And a minimum of 500 pics. Rest assured, there's a lot of data for you guys to ponder over.
Thanks to Bob V i could manage to cover atleast 75% of the expo yesterday

We could cover only 75% because in most of PSU stalls people from the main stream ware unavailable and others who had limited knowledg were manning them and coudnt get answersw and in some cases the stalls were closed and we coudent reach on time to get answers.
Kakarat
BRF Oldie

Post by Kakarat »

arshyam wrote:Anyone coming today? I am walking down to the venue as they have stopped traffic in the last 2 km
if you are going today please check if even the Expo is open to general publc on 14th or only the live demo

Please visit the Israeli stalls and check on the latest on M777 induction which i could not do due to time constrain
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

Bob V wrote:
Thanks Bob!
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

Kakarat wrote:

Good stuff guys. Hope they showed some of the newer programs.
jaysimha
BRFite

Post by jaysimha »

http://pib.nic.in/PressReleaseIframePag ... ID=1528765

Prime Minister's Office
Text of PM’s Address at DEFEXPO-2018
Posted On: 12 APR 2018 12:28PM by PIB Delhi
Kakarat
BRF Oldie

Post by Kakarat »

Karan M wrote:
Kakarat wrote:

Good stuff guys. Hope they showed some of the newer programs.
Please dont expect too much you might get disappointed
Kakarat
BRF Oldie

Post by Kakarat »

The much awited Kalyani 155mm 39 CAL Ultra Light Howitzer (ULH)
https://twitter.com/kakarat2001/status/ ... 6522272768

JayS
Forum Moderator

Post by JayS »

Can someone ask OFB folks about Mounted 52cal gun they presented - why they chose that specific config rather than mounting on top of real axel..?
Bala Vignesh
BRF Oldie

Post by Bala Vignesh »

JayS wrote:Can someone ask OFB folks about Mounted 52cal gun they presented - why they chose that specific config rather than mounting on top of real axel..?
Maybe it could be something to do with the over all height of the system for aerial transportation??
Moving the gun any more closer would require the barrel to be elevated higher given the length of the barrel, there is also the overhang above the truck cabin
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

Thakur_B wrote:

That ratio seems to be for 120mm rounds. Doubt if that would work for 125mm round.
Eggjactly make the Arjun so much more preferable to T-XX
Kakarat
BRF Oldie

Post by Kakarat »

Uttam AESA the indigenously developed active electronically scanned array (AESA) fire control radar at DRDO stall
https://twitter.com/kakarat2001/status/ ... 8961110016

According to an DRDO official Development is complete and waiting for a Tejas platfom for flight testing
JayS
Forum Moderator

Post by JayS »

^^ Pity. One year is wasted in just providing flight platform for Uttam. Why wouldn't our programs delay..?
Vips
BRF Oldie

Post by Vips »

Kakarat wrote:The much awited Kalyani 155mm 39 CAL Ultra Light Howitzer (ULH)
https://twitter.com/kakarat2001/status/ ... 6522272768

Super. Any display or information on the aero engines they are developing?
Kakarat
BRF Oldie

Post by Kakarat »

Vips wrote: Super. Any display or information on the aero engines they are developing?
I have a photo of it, its a small engine. We went very late to their stall so no one there to speak on it