DefExpo 2018 Chennai

Bob V
BRFite

Re: DefExpo 2018 Chennai

Post by Bob V »

Had done so, a couple of days back. They don't even bother to reply. Have noticed several people on twitter posting similar questions to their handle but haven't seen a single response to them. Typical sarkari mentality in this age of SM.
Kakarat
BRF Oldie

Post by Kakarat »

you can try contacting someone from this link
https://defexpoindia.in/Contact.aspx
Kakarat
BRF Oldie

Post by Kakarat »

https://twitter.com/writetake/status/981522670939353088

Indian Navy ships will be available for onboard viewing on Chennai harbour. Public interested in viewing these ships should carry their ID (Passport, Govt ID, Aadhar Card) proof and should not carry any baggage, water bottle, mobile or any eatables.
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

Mini township coming up on ECR for defence expo - The Hindu
On a recent weekday, lorries were lined up on East Coast Road in Thiruvidanthai, waiting to enter a sprawling site that was teeming with at least a thousand workers. A crane was being rigged up even as the gentle breeze from the sea was tamping down the afternoon heat. The crane was lifting a Wheeled Armoured Platform (WhAP), an amphibious armoured vehicle, from a transporter lorry. It looked like a mini-township was being built in a few days — as part of the effort to host the Defence Expo 2018 on April 11.

At the entrance of the Expo ground, another WhAP was lowered from a large lorry.

WhAP has been developed by the Vehicle Research and Development Establishment, an arm of the Defence Research and Development Organisation. A little distance away, an indigenously developed gun by Bharat Forge — an ultra-light Howitzer — was lowered and moved inside the exhibitors’ area.

Large tents had been erected on the site, where workers were hammering away at floor boards. Air conditioning equipment arrived by the dozen on vans to be fitted inside the tents. Companies participating in the Expo — currently 671 of them — were getting their exhibits in place.

Among the large number of Indian labourers toiling away, workers and those in charge of equipment from foreign firms were busy setting up their exhibition space. One of the defence equipment around which a stall was being set up was BAE System’s M777 Ultra Lightweight Howitzer.

‘Arrangements smooth’

“Everything is going smooth so far. We have faced no issues,” one of the staff members told The Hindu when asked about the arrangements for the Expo.

Under a Foreign Military Sales programme, India will buy 145 M777A2 artillery guns in a deal worth $737 million. India took delivery of two of these in May last year.

On the opposite side of the expo grounds, temporary seating arrangements facing the sea have been made for the public to view a number of demonstrations by the HAL and Indian Air Force.

The Indian Air Force’s Sarang team was seen preparing for their demonstration with the indigenously developed Advanced Light Helicopter.

The team will perform their manoeuvring and coordinated flying displays during the period of the Expo.

With the officials of the defence ministry, defence personnel, exhibitors and ministerial delegations set to reach Chennai around April 10, hotels in and around the area have been fully booked.

An exhibitor said it was impossible to find rooms in hotels in Mahabalipuram, OMR, ECR, Kelambakkam and other nearby areas. “We are even finding it difficult to book sport utility vehicles and cars for transport,” he said.
Kakarat
BRF Oldie

Post by Kakarat »

I am thinking of visiting the venue tomorrow if possible to jee whats happning and again early next week to see if i can catch any aircraft rehearsing
Can someone tell me if we are allowed to photograph rehearsing aircraft from outside the venue?
I am also rethinking on attending the first day 11th which is for only 3 hrs but still we have to pay Rs2000
Prasad
BRF Oldie

Post by Prasad »

Go to the temple. Pray to Varahaswamy , stand by the road and take as many pictures as you want :)
No water bottles will be tough on kids. Hope they make arrangements for drinking water at the Port.
Kakarat
BRF Oldie

Post by Kakarat »

https://twitter.com/writetake/status/982170475907330048

As planned I will go tomorrow and have a look and if possible will go again on Sunday to try and get a few photos
Amardeep Mishra
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Amardeep Mishra »

Hi! I am a student at IIT Madras, anyone coming?? Please let me know. We are going to attend the def expo on 11th onwards. Thanks
Bala Vignesh
BRF Oldie

Post by Bala Vignesh »

Oh dear!! I am torn between getting rapped by the SHQ and attending this event now, especially with the ships on port call.
Is there any more clarity on the process to get access to the ship's??
Bob V
BRFite

Post by Bob V »

I guess its the same procedure when visiting any restricted area. Bring your Govt. IDs, no bags/food/water bottles, no phones etc. What I am concerned about, is the exact location where these ships are berthed & how to reach there ? I have been to the port only once & that too, only to the container loading facility. It's a vast area & one is likely to get lost, if we move around without assistance.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

This Def Expo is very very important
Kakarat
BRF Oldie

Post by Kakarat »

Anyone intrested in joining me tomorrow?
All those planning to attend the expo please send me your contact at kakarat2001 at gmail we cam plan to meet at the venue
Bob V
BRFite

Post by Bob V »

So, on which day are you planning to visit the Expo ? I might be there on 13th /14th.
Mods - any BRF meet on the sidelines ? Do we have a stall for ourselves ? Like we had at AI, many moons ago.
arshyam
BRF Oldie

Post by arshyam »

I am thinking 12th and 13th. 13th being a Friday may be easier for folks to meet up in the evening?
Kakarat
BRF Oldie

Post by Kakarat »

I am going on 12th on business pass and may be on 14th as general visitor. going to visit the ships at port on 13th.
As per posters on the way the ships are available for public visit on 13th & 15th

I just came back from the venue and its almost ready for the show, only a few equipments waiting outside. on the live demo ground i saw Arjun MkII, Arjun anti-mine, Arjun ARV, WhAP, T-72 BLT, ATAGS and Dhanush. on the coast there was one each of Khukri-class, Shivalik class, Kamorta class, Saryu class and a tanker (i could not identify as it was a bit further

I am planning to go to see the demo for journalist at 11:45 if anyone wishes to join please contact me
Kakarat
BRF Oldie

Post by Kakarat »

https://twitter.com/kakarat2001/status/ ... 8198307840

Some photos of the Live Demo side of the DefExpo

Today I did not carry my camera so only low quality mobile images
Bob V
BRFite

Post by Bob V »

Kakarat wrote: I am planning to go to see the demo for journalist at 11:45 if anyone wishes to join please contact me
I wish I could join you but held up with some work tomorrow :(
My plan as of now, is to visit the port on 13th & the expo, the next day.
Kakarat
BRF Oldie

Post by Kakarat »

Bob V wrote:
Kakarat wrote: I am planning to go to see the demo for journalist at 11:45 if anyone wishes to join please contact me
I wish I could join you but held up with some work tomorrow :(
My plan as of now, is to visit the port on 13th & the expo, the next day.
I will be there on 14th too atleast as a general visitor.

The business area and the general area is divided by the road so even on 14th public might not be allowed to enter the exibition
Kakarat
BRF Oldie

Post by Kakarat »

Just returned back from Defexpo venue, todays show i think was truncated and just the a preview. But still I have got some 500 photos of Tanks, Ships, Helicopters & Aircrafts

Can some one suggest me a good watermarking software befor I start uploding them
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

Kakarat, what about parking facilities? Enough space? How far away etc?
Kakarat
BRF Oldie

Post by Kakarat »

SSridhar wrote:Kakarat, what about parking facilities? Enough space? How far away etc?
I dont know about the parking arrangements, we are not allowes inside the Exibition venue. But there is no marked parking area near the Live Demo area atleast for now. I had parked on the road side just before the display area. As of now I dont have any plan to go again before the 11th but if i go I will try to find out
uddu
BRF Oldie

Post by uddu »

Kakarat wrote:Just returned back from Defexpo venue, todays show i think was truncated and just the a preview. But still I have got some 500 photos of Tanks, Ships, Helicopters & Aircrafts

Can some one suggest me a good watermarking software befor I start uploding them
You could upload them to https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Defexpo if you don't mind, letting people use the image by giving credit to you.
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Licensing

Okay. Seems u wish not to share them. In that case you could use Gimp software for adding watermark.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTN_s3bSpb0

You may share few images that you think is of not that good quality to Wikimedia.
Kakarat
BRF Oldie

Post by Kakarat »

uddu wrote:
Kakarat wrote:Just returned back from Defexpo venue, todays show i think was truncated and just the a preview. But still I have got some 500 photos of Tanks, Ships, Helicopters & Aircrafts

You could upload them to https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Defexpo if you don't mind, letting people use the image by giving credit to you.
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Licensing

Okay. Seems u wish not to share them. In that case you could use Gimp software for adding watermark.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTN_s3bSpb0

You may share few images that you think is of not that good quality to Wikimedia.
I am ready to give any image un editted to people in BR, The watermark is for my twitter whre there are people who share it without giving credit and show your work as their own

As per your wishes I will share some on Wikimedia too even good ones if there are any
Kakarat
BRF Oldie

Post by Kakarat »

Some photos from Defexpo dryrun on Sunday, more to follow soon
If anyone in BR wants high resolution please let me know

https://twitter.com/kakarat2001/status/ ... 3512835072
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

Kakarat wrote: . . . but if i go I will try to find out
Thanks
Kakarat
BRF Oldie

Post by Kakarat »

Just posting some select images more on my twitter
https://twitter.com/kakarat2001

Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya_V »

Just for Clarity, Asking a couple of questions

1) Warships can be visited on 12 and 13 April, what are the timings, Where- Naval Harbour behind RBI building?

2) Def expo at Thiruvandhthai- ECR, 11 April to 14 April- what are the timings?
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Kakarat, Can you find out about all the artillery guns status?
Kakarat
BRF Oldie

Post by Kakarat »

Aditya_V wrote:Just for Clarity, Asking a couple of questions

1) Warships can be visited on 12 and 13 April, what are the timings, Where- Naval Harbour behind RBI building?

2) Def expo at Thiruvandhthai- ECR, 11 April to 14 April- what are the timings?
the dates of warship visit has been changed to 13th and 15th, i think the timing is between 9 to 3

Defexpo timings are available on their website
2 to 5 on 11th and 9 to 5 on other days
Kakarat
BRF Oldie

Post by Kakarat »

ramana wrote:Kakarat, Can you find out about all the artillery guns status?
I am planning to visit the expo on 12th & i will try my best to get answers to all questions

can we compile all the questions by 11th?
Kakarat
BRF Oldie

Post by Kakarat »

When can we have a BR meet at the Expo 11th or 12th or 14th?
multiple members have expressed intrest but we have to fix a date

My advice to people planning to attend the expo is dont book for 11th, the expo is only for 3hrs including live demo. the live demo can be seen from outside too
Prasad
BRF Oldie

Post by Prasad »

Anyone going from adyar, mylapore side? Sridhar saar? No vandi :(
Bob V
BRFite

Post by Bob V »

Prasad wrote:Anyone going from adyar, mylapore side? Sridhar saar? No vandi :(
I'm closer to you but don't have a vehicle too. Will have to take a taxi, all the way.
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

Pity I can't be there.Other fish to fry. As seen from the report,no wretched hotels close by and getting to the venue will be a real task.There should've been 2 biz days as the first will use a lot of time with the official opening,PM's visit,etc. taking up at least half a day as with the first day at Aero-India shows.Warship visits too should have at least one day at least for biz-visitors.There will be a massive gang of locals ,kids et al, who will be swarming all over Defexpo ,making it a "Madras mela" where one will have to possess the skills of a jallikattu participant to survive!!
Kakarat
BRF Oldie

Post by Kakarat »

Indian Navy ships at Defexpo

Bob V
BRFite

Post by Bob V »

Philip wrote:Pity I can't be there.Other fish to fry. As seen from the report,no wretched hotels close by and getting to the venue will be a real task.There should've been 2 biz days as the first will use a lot of time with the official opening,PM's visit,etc. taking up at least half a day as with the first day at Aero-India shows.Warship visits too should have at least one day at least for biz-visitors.There will be a massive gang of locals ,kids et al, who will be swarming all over Defexpo ,making it a "Madras mela" where one will have to possess the skills of a jallikattu participant to survive!!
Hotels are still available sir (the reasonably good ones). I know few in the city, which are running at half their occupancy. Any news reports stating the otherwise, should be taken with a pinch of salt. There are so many star hotels all over the city. If hotels on the ECR/OMR are indeed sold out, you can try the ones on the GST road - le meridien, Trident, radisson blu, hilton, park hyatt, ITC Grand Chola etc. GST road is not that far & runs parallel to OMR. And as I said earlier, travelling on Chennai roads, these days is much much better. Even the notorious choke-points like Tidel signal on the OMR, have been tackled properly & now the wait times at the signal have reduced to 15mins, from 30-35mins earlier.
Kakarat
BRF Oldie

Post by Kakarat »

Indian Navy Seaking and MARCOS in action
Bob V
BRFite

Post by Bob V »

Kakarat wrote:Indian Navy ships at Defexpo
One of those Saryu class ship, is also off Marina. I did spot it yesterday morning too.
Kakarat
BRF Oldie

Post by Kakarat »

Bob V wrote:
Philip wrote:Pity I can't be there.Other fish to fry. As seen from the report,no wretched hotels close by and getting to the venue will be a real task.There should've been 2 biz days as the first will use a lot of time with the official opening,PM's visit,etc. taking up at least half a day as with the first day at Aero-India shows.Warship visits too should have at least one day at least for biz-visitors.There will be a massive gang of locals ,kids et al, who will be swarming all over Defexpo ,making it a "Madras mela" where one will have to possess the skills of a jallikattu participant to survive!!
Hotels are still available sir (the reasonably good ones). I know few in the city, which are running at half their occupancy. Any news reports stating the otherwise, should be taken with a pinch of salt. There are so many star hotels all over the city. If hotels on the ECR/OMR are indeed sold out, you can try the ones on the GST road - le meridien, Trident, radisson blu, hilton, park hyatt, ITC Grand Chola etc. GST road is not that far & runs parallel to OMR. And as I said earlier, travelling on Chennai roads, these days is much much better. Even the notorious choke-points like Tidel signal on the OMR, have been tackled properly & now the wait times at the signal have reduced to 15mins, from 30-35mins earlier.
Bob V is right I live ~50km from the venue and have been reaching in 1hr 15min max, i dont drive fast
Kakarat
BRF Oldie

Post by Kakarat »

thinking of posting a few wallpaper quality images with less intrusive watermarks, can someone suggest the size?