Indian Navy News & Discussion - 03 July 2018

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Re: Indian Navy News & Discussion - 03 July 2018

Post by Rakesh »

https://twitter.com/livefist/status/1086234475523129346 ---> Indian Govt sanctions three new Indian Navy maritime surveillance aircraft squadrons in Tamil Nadu & Gujarat, will operate HAL-built Dornier Do-228 aircraft. Excellent news for coastal security, long way to go though.

Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

https://twitter.com/livefist/status/1086199924880896006 ---> The Indian Navy's new naval air station INS Kohassa at North Andaman's Shibpur is in one of the most splendid settings we've ever seen. To be formally commissioned on Jan 24th and will be the Navy's 3rd air station on the islands after Port Blair & Campbell Bay.

nam
BRF Oldie

Post by nam »

chola wrote:
brar_w wrote:
The Vikrant with a modern design where the lifts are on the edges should be easier to upgrade I think. But the ship is not even done fitting out so it is irritating that those lifts were not oversized to begin with. And once operations start then we probably need to wait two decades or more for the midlife upgrade to see a change in the lifts.
IN designed IAC-1 with the thought that a Mig29k folded wing sized jet will operate. The only other source other than Mig29k, is a Indian designed jet where we control the wing size. like LCA MK2 or AMCA-N

In a way of "un-intended consequence", IN commited itself to a indian jet..

Frankly I am not complaining.
Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

Neshant
BRF Oldie

Post by Neshant »

Austin wrote:Admiral Sunil Lanba: India will continue to have edge over China in aircraft carriers
What's he basing that optimism on?
kit
BRF Oldie

Post by kit »

John wrote:^ I believe there was plan to fit Barak-8 + Mf-Star which would be equally complex and more expensive. If that is still planned as part of extensive refit may be in mid next decade not sure why cannot lump in elevator modification as part of that.
I suppose its akin to lifts in a high rise building, almost impossible to change their size without major structural modifications., you might plan for another one though if space and access permits !! , say what about hanging lifts say that slides out and brings the aircraft up?
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

Neshant wrote:
Austin wrote:Admiral Sunil Lanba: India will continue to have edge over China in aircraft carriers
What's he basing that optimism on?
The Indian Navy has operated carriers for the past six decades and the PLAN's first carrier - the Liaoning - was commissioned in Sept 2012. It is not just about the vessels (or the number of vessels). It is about optimal usage of that capital vessel(s).

On Doctrine and Operations, we know far more than the PLAN on carrier operations. In that respect - the only true measure to be honest - the Indian Navy is eons ahead of the PLAN. They will catch up, but by then the IN will have moved on to even more capable carrier platforms by then. The Admiral is absolutely correct when he states that the IN has an edge over China in aircraft carriers (carrier operations would be the more accurate term, but we understand what the Admiral meant).

In the same vein, if one had to compare the US Navy carrier strike groups with the Indian Navy's aircraft carriers, the US Navy would be eons ahead of us. They are the grand-daddy of carrier operations. Nobody can do carrier operations better than the US Navy. They have mastered the art of carrier operations. They have around 10 carrier strike groups 8), ready to strike at anyone's Musharraf!
Neshant
BRF Oldie

Post by Neshant »

Rakesh wrote:
Neshant wrote: What's he basing that optimism on?
The Indian Navy has operated carriers for the past six decades and the PLAN's first carrier - the Liaoning - was commissioned in Sept 2012. It is not just about the vessels (or the number of vessels). It is about optimal usage of that capital vessel(s).

On Doctrine and Operations, we know far more than the PLAN on carrier operations. In that respect - the only true measure to be honest - the Indian Navy is eons ahead of the PLAN. They will catch up, but by then the IN will have moved on to even more capable carrier platforms by then. The Admiral is absolutely correct when he states that the IN has an edge over China in aircraft carriers (carrier operations would be the more accurate term, but we understand what the Admiral meant).
I'm not sure I understand what the gains in "doctrine and operations" exactly are.

What special knowledge would they be missing.

Even if there is some special knowledge related to maintenance or usage, is there any reason to believe one needs 20 years to gain it as opposed to 2 years.

In the years ahead, China will literally out build India 3 : 1 in carriers. That ratio could be even higher for warships and subs.
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

There is a revolution taking place in naval warfare with rail guns,hyper- velocity ER munitions, UUVs, unmanned surface combatants and multi-role smaller flat tops on the anvil.
The traditional CV concept of the last century as principal naval weapon system that dominated naval warfare is going to change shape swiftly.The Ru nuclear super torpedo is one direction which shows that UW warfare is going to dominate the future decades, where unmanned vehicles in both roles, ASW and ASuW will proliferate and with the sdvent of new missile systems, large CVs will become increasingly vulnerable, questioning their massive acquisition and operational expenses.
Conventional flat tops will become more vulnerable to the latest anti-ship missiles, which will move from the current cutting edge supersonic missiles to hypersonic ones, considered invincible.Subs will continue to be the most survivable naval weapon system.

India as said ad nauseum is blessed with a huge dagger like landmass of subcontinental proportions , thrusting into the IOR at its very centre.In addition to this priceless geographic jewel we also have the A&N islands in the east and Lakshadweep in the west.From these unsinkable carriers, we can deploy sufficient land- based aircraft of varying hues to deal with any hostile surfae task force that ingresses into the IOR .

More demanding will be combating large numbers of subs in possession of our two mortal enemies acting in concert against us. ASW must be given the top priority of the IN and immediate decisions on augmenting the sub fleet through leases, foreign buys and domestic construction must be exercised.
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

To underscore the above points, the USN is sending as support for the Syrian withdrawal,4500 marines , at least one JSF sqd. aboard two LHD amphibs, the Essex, with the Kearsage transiting the Suez canal heading for the Gulf. .The Essex's aircraft have been engaged in Afg. against the Taliban.Using the two MEUs ( Marine Exped Units) instead of a super- CV, is the point I've been stressing about our planned amphibs and theiir proposed similar roles.
We could acquire at least 3 similar equipped amphibs, at lower acquisition cost that a single 65K CV, which would serve our multiple needs in the IOR better along with our unsinkable CVs , INS India, INS A&N and INS Lakshadweep.

PS: The existing runways in the ANC should be 9lengthened to allow larger LRMP, heavy transport and frontline strike aircraft of the IN and IAF to operate from the air stations. The ANC should have adequate logistic support and supies pre-positioned to avoid delays in transportation of men amd material during any crisis
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

Neshant wrote:I'm not sure I understand what the gains in "doctrine and operations" exactly are.

What special knowledge would they be missing.

Even if there is some special knowledge related to maintenance or usage, is there any reason to believe one needs 20 years to gain it as opposed to 2 years.

In the years ahead, China will literally out build India 3 : 1 in carriers. That ratio could be even higher for warships and subs.
Aircraft carriers are not just about building a flat top to fly aircraft from. If that was the measure, any nation who wants to build a carrier, can do it. But put any of the US Navy's carrier strike groups against the Chinese. The Chinese will get such an ass-whupping, they will wish they never even built a carrier in the first place. Thus the reason for their DF-21D carrier killer. Even they know, they do not stand a chance against a seasoned carrier operator like the US Navy. But still some Chinese are so over confident in their capabilities, that recently a Chinese professor said that the PLAN should sink a couple of US carriers :roll:

Any military platform requires operational experience (which in turn is derived from a doctrine). It is easy to talk big - which is what the Chinese do 24/7 - but in terms of any operational carrier experience, the Chinese are a BIG FAT ZERO. Nations only know of their true military capability, when they put their military platforms into actual operational usage and not by having a fleet-in-port designed to scare monger smaller nations around them. It is from this actual operational usage, the doctrine that was envisaged is validated and operations are then further fine tuned or changed entirely! And when newer technology is incorporated into the aircraft carrier (or her strike group), the doctrine changes again and thus have to go through re-validation again. The US Navy, the Royal Navy, the French Navy, the Indian Navy and other navies (that operate carriers) have been doing this for decades with their carrier strike groups. The Chinese commissioned the Liaoning in 2012. Just saying!

When is the last time the Chinese have ever fought a war with their aircraft carriers? The answer is never. The Indian Navy successfully operated the former Vikrant in 1971 to great success. Any two-bit donkey can come up with a slick video of J-15s being launched off the Liaoning. That means jack sh!t in the real world. And they are facing serious issues with the J-15 (their ONLY combat capable naval fighter) and the issue is grave enough that the PLAN is retiring them once their next generation naval fighter comes into being and heaven only knows when that will happen. I am confident enough to state this - the lessons learnt by ADA and HAL on the Naval Tejas exceed what the Chinese have done by reverse engineering the Su-33 (J-15). Put their Liaoning into battle against the Indian Navy in the Indian Ocean right now. I dare them to. If they are that confident, bring it on. And I am not even displaying hubris when I say that.

When Admiral Lanba says that we are a match for them in the Indian Ocean, he meant what he said. But he also admits that the dice is loaded in their favour in the South China Sea. Neither statement was hot air.

If you look at the history of aircraft carriers, the pioneers were the Americans. As per wiki chacha ---> Eugene Ely flew a Curtiss aircraft from the USS Birmingham in 1910. And since 1910, they have perfected the art of carrier operations. The US Navy has over 100 years of knowledge of how, when and where to conduct carrier operations. The US has gone through World War II and a number of conflicts since then operating aircraft carriers. Even today, when a US Navy carrier strike group enters a theatre of conflict...nations sit up and take notice. Why do you think the Chinese view the American carrier strike groups in the South China Sea with caution? If they are so confident of their own carriers, bring it on!

In the Indian perspective, our Navy achieved success in the 1999 Kargil conflict in the sea denial role. We regularly train with other navies that operate carriers. The annual Malabar series of exercises is a good example of that. When is the last time the PLAN has ever successfully pulled off a sea denial operation outside of the South China Sea? When is the last time the PLAN has ever successfully sent out a carrier strike group out of the confines of the South China Sea into an open ocean battle against a foreign navy? When is the last time the PLAN has ever exercised with a foreign navy that also operates carriers? You find out and let me know, ok? :)

The US Navy did not go from the USS Langley (the US Navy's first aircraft carrier commissioned in 1912!!) to the USS Gerald Ford (the $13.5 billion, TFTA vessel) overnight. See the number of classes (not ships, but classes) of aircraft carriers that existed in between and the decades of operational usage & doctrine that caused each class of aircraft carrier to be better than the preceding one. In the same vein, the Indian Navy did not jump from INS Vikrant (ex-Hermes) to the upcoming Vishaal. After Vikrant, came the Viraat, then the Vikramaditya, then the new Vikrant and then the Vishaal. And for the Indian Navy from the new Vikrant to the Vishaal is a quantum jump in capability which will cause the vessel to be considerably delayed, but I digress.

What the Chinese have is book knowledge. That is the net result of xerox copying. You are talking about 3:1 build capacity against India. Do not confuse build capacity with actual operational usage. The two are night and day. I am talking about 60+ years of carrier operations that the Indian Navy has versus 7 years that have passed since the PLAN has commissioned the Liaoning. You cannot even compare the two. For the past 6 - 7 years, their carrier experience has resulted in propaganda videos of the Liaoning and their follow on carriers. Bring them into battle. Pull out the big guns.
chola
BRF Oldie

Post by chola »

Rakesh wrote: What the Chinese have is book knowledge.
Yup Admiral and you can say the same about the rest of their navy and the rest of their military.

They are not blooded and their government looked like it had deliberately and assiduously avoid blooding its soldiers.

I think Cheen is simply not a warrior nation and, to its credit, it knows this fact. It won’t be able to fight in the IOR but I don’t think it ever has the intention. It will be there to parade its presence with TFTA looking machines and the countries in the IO littoral will see it as the only alternative to Khan.

The tyranny of geographical distance is absolute in our case me thinks. I cannot find a single encounter between aircraft or ships of Cheen and India.

For the air forces and navies of Japan, Taiwan, Korea or the USN those encounters with the PLAN and PLAAF are in the hundreds. For Japan, the JASDF had to scramble to 852 chini aerial intrusions in 2016 alone. The naval encounters would have been on par if not more since it will involve chini coast guard and maritime militias.

For comparison, our encounter with chini aircraft and warships is a big ZERO as far as I could tell. Not just in 2016 but ever.

They will not fight a war with us. Not in the air or at sea at least. Maybe with with the occasional kungfu kicks and fisticuffs along the LOC but even on land they have a massive disadvantage in numbers.

These facts are critical to how we build our navy and our military in general.
souravB
BRFite

Post by souravB »

chola wrote: The tyranny of geographical distance is absolute in our case me thinks. I cannot find a single encounter between aircraft or ships of Cheen and India.
Chola Sir, this might change with IN having 3-4 carriers. We very well might be making port calls in Phillipines and/or Vietnam in next 15-20 years if we follow the current trajectory. US would very much like to offload some of its FON stuff to us as it is already asking JAPAN to do which frees it to concentrate on NATO without expanding it's military budget too much. Will we be able to maintain a constant presence? will US and Japan be okay with us maintaining constant presence? who knows what the equations will be.
chola
BRF Oldie

Post by chola »

souravB wrote:
chola wrote: The tyranny of geographical distance is absolute in our case me thinks. I cannot find a single encounter between aircraft or ships of Cheen and India.
Chola Sir, this might change with IN having 3-4 carriers.
The fact that there are no encounters now or in any great numbers in the immediate future means we can build those 65K ton carriers without worrying about losing any edge in ASW, minesweeping or anything else.
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

What was the historic precedent when China attacked us in '62? Or the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbour in WW2?
Just becos someyhing never happened before does not mean that it will never.Take even terrorisn.The 9/11 attacks.The 26/11 attacks and attack on parliament.
We need to prepare to " expect the unexpected."
The Pakis didn't and lost Siachen!

The spearhead of future Sino- Pak JVs against India will be through their subs and saturation missile attacks against our naval assets on and off shore.I also mentioned earlier about the enemy mining the approaches of our key bases and ports.Remember the precedent of the Ghazi stalking the Vikrant in vain sunk off Vizag? The ingress into the IOR by a Chin CBG will happen after their attempts to neutralise or inflict huge damage to our shore- based infrastructure after their primary strikes. Did anyone expect the fall of "Fortress Singapore" either?
Bala Vignesh
BRF Oldie

Post by Bala Vignesh »

indian navys two day long largest ever coastal defence exercise "sea vigil" to begin 22-january
"Indian Navy will coordinate the largest Coastal Defense Exercise off the Indian coast on 22-23 Jan 19, *Exercise Sea Vigil*. First of its kind, the exercise will be undertaken along the entire 7516.6 kms of coastline and EEZ of India and will involve all 13 coastal states and UT along with maritime stakeholders including fishing and coastal communities,” stated the release. It also referred to the fact that it has been 10 years since the terror attack in Mumbai on November 26, 2008, and the Navy has taken several measures to secure the country’s coastal areas.

According to the release the exercise will be “unprecedented” and it is intended as a preparatory measure for the tri-service exercise called TROPEX. The two exercises will cover all the aspects of maritime security including the transition from peace to conflict.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Bala Vignesh wrote:indian navys two day long largest ever coastal defence exercise "sea vigil" to begin 22-january
"Indian Navy will coordinate the largest Coastal Defense Exercise off the Indian coast on 22-23 Jan 19, *Exercise Sea Vigil*. First of its kind, the exercise will be undertaken along the entire 7516.6 kms of coastline and EEZ of India and will involve all 13 coastal states and UT along with maritime stakeholders including fishing and coastal communities,” stated the release. It also referred to the fact that it has been 10 years since the terror attack in Mumbai on November 26, 2008, and the Navy has taken several measures to secure the country’s coastal areas.

According to the release the exercise will be “unprecedented” and it is intended as a preparatory measure for the tri-service exercise called TROPEX. The two exercises will cover all the aspects of maritime security including the transition from peace to conflict.
Very important exercises. the Sea Vigil is to test out the measures put in place since 26/11/2008.
TORPEX is operational exercise.

Both are to let TSP know IN is on the vigil and not try any thing foolish.
jaysimha
BRFite

Post by jaysimha »

Kumbh mela in chennai
https://www.niot.res.in/
Workshop On
Indian Coastal Ocean Radar Network (ICORN)
24-25th Jan, 2019
Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

Indian Navy set to open third base in strategic islands to counter China

Read more at:
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/arti ... aign=cppst
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

Going about it the right way, runway extension plans to 3000m. for larger aircraft.Unsinkable carriers!

What the Chins are doing though is building invincible "shields"for the latest " spears", meaning new hyper- missiles, undergrojnd bunkers for their key command posts and UG missile/ sub bases.
Our island bases should similarly have well protected UG bunkers, etc. as they will be faced with saturation missile attacks and cyberwarfare from China as opening salvoes.

The GOI should also dramatically expand the IN and IAF and modernise the IA making it more tech. capable increasing the firepower of a unit X times reducing where possible manpower. The winner of the battle for the IOR and ICS will determine the fate of the land war.Germany lost the Battle of the Atlantic which saw the huge logistic supply of war material to Russia from the US and Canada
which in great measure helped Russia defeat the Germans on the battlefield.Similarly Rommel's supplies by sea to N.Aftica were disrupted in large measure by the RN in the Meditt.and air attacks of Axis shipping from fortress Malta.Our ANC will similarly be a key fzctor in einning any conflict in the IOR and determining the outcome of the battle for thd ICS.
jaysimha
BRFite

Post by jaysimha »

kumbh mela in Pollachi, Tamil Nadu
One Day Seminar on
“Advanced Composites for Naval Applications”
Organized by
Department of Automobile Engineering
& Naval Research Board http://mcet.in/?news=one-day-seminar-on ... ortunities
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

The PLAN CVs are being built in large number primarily to dominate the first and second island chains that China has designated.Within the first from Japan, Taiwan down to the Phillippines, where China considers the Indo- China Sea as its own lake it is engaged in frenetic activity to achieve a fait accompli.Here its island grab of atolls and turning them into pearls on a string, will provide it with platforms where its land- based LRMP , strike and ASW helo assets can support its CVs.In further support will be a large no. of its huge fleet of subs.Latest intel suggest that a brand new sub building facility is being set up which can build both SSBNs and SSNs simultaneously where at least 3 N - subs can be launched each year!

Operations beyond the first chain , say into the IOR will be more regular by their CBGs once their strategic bases are fully functional at Gwadar/ Jiwani, H'tota and other planned outposts in the IOR littorals.China wooing the Phillippines is of the greatest concern as from the Phillippines much of the Pacific and ANZAC seas will be under threat.A PLAN naval flotilla has just completed a visit to the Phillippines.

True, China has a training deficit of modern high-tech eqpt. .It has just admitted that in exercises, its rews operating its latest MBT were outfought by those crews operating the older models. If you however look at the latest PLAN warships, thry have larger missile arsenals aboard than IN warships.If there detection and targeting assets using sats, aircraft, etc. are capable enough, US and allied warships will have to deal with massed saturation attacks launched from its warships, aircraft anc subs.There will be high casualties on the allied side if the US contests in force domination of the 1st. island chain and keep the ICS open to intl. maritime traffic.
JTull
BRF Oldie

Post by JTull »

Philip wrote:Going about it the right way, runway extension plans to 3000m. for larger aircraft.Unsinkable carriers!

What the Chins are doing though is building invincible "shields"for the latest " spears", meaning new hyper- missiles, undergrojnd bunkers for their key command posts and UG missile/ sub bases.
Our island bases should similarly have well protected UG bunkers, etc. as they will be faced with saturation missile attacks and cyberwarfare from China as opening salvoes.

The GOI should also dramatically expand the IN and IAF and modernise the IA making it more tech. capable increasing the firepower of a unit X times reducing where possible manpower. The winner of the battle for the IOR and ICS will determine the fate of the land war.Germany lost the Battle of the Atlantic which saw the huge logistic supply of war material to Russia from the US and Canada
which in great measure helped Russia defeat the Germans on the battlefield.Similarly Rommel's supplies by sea to N.Aftica were disrupted in large measure by the RN in the Meditt.and air attacks of Axis shipping from fortress Malta.Our ANC will similarly be a key fzctor in einning any conflict in the IOR and determining the outcome of the battle for thd ICS.
Germans wanted to dominate North Sea, Mediterranean and entire North Atlantic (till very close to US). And that was primarily because they had on-going land battles in east, west and south. They spread it too thin. If China decides that it wants to achieve dominance in west-pacific and in IOR, then they'll have similarly serious issues on both fronts. You can already see that just the threat of Quad is requiring them to spend huge amounts to equip themselves (CVs etc), on creating land/offshore fortifications, and on financing 'friendly' (=pliant) countries. China is in a huge rush to achieve it's strategic objectives, but Xi won't be here forever. Someone will be left holding the bill. Then you'll see what an unhappy 1.5billion looks like when they find out they can't get what they've been promised by their leaders. OT, but that's why it's so important to have Modi for another term. China has to spend disproportionately more to keep to their aims of dominance.
Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

**POOF**
Last edited by Rakesh on 26 Jan 2019 19:34, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Not Related to Indian Navy
Kakarat
BRF Oldie

Post by Kakarat »

^This is from 2016
Last edited by Rakesh on 26 Jan 2019 19:45, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Thank You Kakarat Saar :)
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

NS Kohassa - A new bird's nest in the Andamans commissioned by Admiral Sunil Lanba, CNS.

Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

Bharat Dynamics inaugurates Acoustic Tank Test facility at the Visakhapatnam Unit
https://www.business-standard.com/artic ... 623_1.html

Bharat Dynamics has inaugurated its Acoustic Tank Test facility at the Visakhapatnam Unit of the company. The test facility is one of its kind world class test facility used for testing underwater weapons like Torpedoes, Mines, Sonobuoys, Decoys and other related systems. The acoustics systems of the under water weapons are required to be tested and calibrated in a water environment prior to their deployment in the actual sea waters. The new on-site test facility enhances the manufacturing capabilities manifold and opens up opportunities for handling multiple projects simultaneously. The Visakhapatnam Unit of BDL has been set up exclusively for manufacture of underwater weapons for supply to the Indian Navy.
VinodTK
BRF Oldie

Post by VinodTK »

Eye on China, government finalises Rs 5,000-crore defence plan for Andamans
NEW DELHI: India has virtually finalised an exclusive Rs 5,650-crore military infrastructure development plan spread over 10 years for the strategically located Andaman and Nicobar archipelago — which will allow stationing of additional warships, aircraft, drones, missile batteries and infantry soldiers there — against the backdrop of China’s rapidly expanding footprint in the Indian Ocean region.

Sources say the 10-year infrastructure “roll-on” plan for the Andaman and Nicobar Command, which is the country’s only theatre command with assets and manpower of the Army, Navy, IAF and Coast Guard under one operational commander, has been formulated after prolonged top-level discussions in the defence establishment.

“The plan has also been reviewed by the defence planning committee (chaired by national security adviser Ajit Doval and includes the three service chiefs, among others). The initial plan was pegged around Rs 10,000 crore but a decision was taken to focus largely on land that was already available or under acquisition by the ANC,” said a source.

Parallelly, a comprehensive plan for “force accretion” of the armed forces in phases at the ANC by 2027 is also in the works. Under it, the proposal for an increase in Army manpower and assets is pegged at about Rs 5,370 crore. This will include upgrade of the existing 108 Mountain Brigade there and a new infantry battalion to add to the three (two infantry and a Territorial Army) battalions already there, apart from new air defence, signals, engineer, supply and other units.

Sources point to the visits of PM Narendra Modi and defence minister Nirmala Sitharaman to the 572-island archipelago in the last 30 days to stress that some plans are already under way. Apart from the two existing major airports at Port Blair and Car Nicobar, for instance, the runways at the naval air stations at Shibpur (commissioned as INS Kohassa by Navy chief Admiral Sunil Lanba on Thursday) in the north and Campbell Bay (INS Baaz) in the south will be extended to 10,000 feet to support operations by larger aircraft. Another 10,000-foot runway at Kamorta island is also envisaged as part of the 10-year infrastructure development.

India has already taken to deploying fighter jets like Sukhoi-30MKIs, long-range maritime patrol Poseidon-8I aircraft and Heron-II surveillance drones to the archipelago on a regular basis now. “Additional Dornier-228 patrol aircraft and Mi-17 V5 helicopters will also be based at the ANC soon,” said a source.

Though the ANC was established way back in 2001, internecine turf wars among the Army, the Navy and the IAF and general politico-bureaucratic apathy as well as fund crunches and lack of environmental clearances to build infrastructure have bedevilled the unified command till now.

This when a strong ANC, with requisite military force-levels and infrastructure, can effectively function as a pivot to counter China’s strategic moves in the IOR. “China’s expanding naval forays in the region, which include nuclear submarines, will only grow over time. India needs to seriously bolster its last military outpost in the ANC to keep an eagle eye on the region, and intervene if necessary,” said a senior officer.
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

Good to see that another base is planned for Kamorta.With all to have 10000ft. runways and our largest transport as well as strike birds operating ftom them, we will be able to project air power into the ICS from the ANC apart from subs also using the ANC as a logistics springboard.
Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

https://twitter.com/manupubby/status/10 ... 7146753024 ---> Government has signed a contract for construction of two Project 11356 ships with Goa Shipyard Ltd, Goa to-date, with scheduled delivery in June 2026 and December 2026 respectively - Navy.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

https://twitter.com/SJha1618/status/1090553672151457792 ---> The Indian Government has just concluded a contract with Goa Shipyard Ltd for two Russian-designed 1135.6 class frigates to be delivered by June and December 2026 respectively.

To know more about this program you can take a look at: http://delhidefencereview.com/2018/05/0 ... -programs/

https://twitter.com/SJha1618/status/1090556858828353542 ---> With the signing of the contract for the two follow-on 1135.6 class frigates to be built by India's Goa Shipyard Ltd in collaboration with the United Shipbuilding Corporation, Russia (i.e. the designers), New Delhi has signalled once again that it won't let CAATSA get in the way.

https://twitter.com/SJha1618/status/1090554253066756096 ---> Both ships will feature higher than usual levels of indigenous content. Their main offensive weapon will be the BrahMos missile. The hull-mounted sonar will be indigenous, as will be the on board combat management system.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

Israel Aerospace Industries announces agreement worth $93 million with Indian Navy, Cochin Shipyard
https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/ne ... 759884.cms

Israel Aerospace signs $93m Indian missile deal
https://en.globes.co.il/en/article-isra ... 1001271126
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

Indian Navy To Extensively Upgrade Perimeter Security At Its Air Bases; Next-Gen Tech To Safeguard Critical Assets
https://swarajyamag.com/insta/indian-na ... cal-assets
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

Defence Ministry to discuss proposal on acquiring torpedoes for nuclear submarine
https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/ne ... 752112.cms
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

https://twitter.com/livefist/status/1090552626616434690 ---> Indian Navy contract signed today with Goa Shipyard Ltd for two Grigorovich Class/Project 1135.6 frigates.

Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

https://twitter.com/indiannavy/status/1 ... 9593962497 ---> Vice Admiral G Ashok Kumar, AVSM, VSM assumes charge as Vice Chief of the Naval Staff in New Delhi.

Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

Iai has signed a 93m deal with In and kochi shipyard for mrsam likely for vikrant
One nugget thats worth noting

Last Thursday, the Indian Navy, in collaboration with IAI, held an interception test aboard INS Chennai, which assessed for the first time potential collaboration between ships, the company said. “The interception scenario, which was executed successfully, demonstrated how the operational force of the defense system can be doubled regionally, rather than topically,” said IAI.
abhik
BRF Oldie

Post by abhik »

^^^
Maybe I'm dense, but what does that mean?
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

Cooperative engagement.it appears rather than individual countermeasures.
ks_sachin
BRF Oldie

Post by ks_sachin »

abhik wrote:^^^
Maybe I'm dense, but what does that mean?
It means that a PR pr Comms person who does not know his or her job has drafted this piece of comms.
What a load of drivel in terms of force and capability projection...