INS Arihant: News & Discussion

The Military Issues & History Forum is a venue to discuss issues relating to the military aspects of the Indian Armed Forces, whether the past, present or future. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
ravikr
BRFite -Trainee

Re: INS Arihant: News & Discussion

Post by ravikr »

Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

We will likely never see the interior of a Arihant boat. And that is the way it should be. Rest assured on that.

Thank you to one and all who solved the mystery.
SBajwa
BRF Oldie

Post by SBajwa »

Karan M wrote:Anyways, the pics of the crew should have been blurred. Who posted these and where?
From a Pakistani site
krishna_krishna
BRFite

Post by krishna_krishna »

SBajwa wrote:
Karan M wrote:Anyways, the pics of the crew should have been blurred. Who posted these and where?
From a Pakistani site
Sir, please see the link above from ravikr, it was taken from official navy facebook page.
Shrinivasan
BRF Oldie

Post by Shrinivasan »

^^ it was in the Indian Navy Facebook page... the picture of the men sitting on the diving pane and conning tower came as a surprise... what attracted my attention was the greeninsh tinged floor... which was odd considering I would expect the surface to be smooth and dark... that was probably a mat placed on the surface to obstruct the missile hatches from being seen (or stepped upon). Anyway. Thanks to all gurus, we have an upclose and personal Tasveer of S2
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

Saar, that greenish tinged floor (picture below) is nothing more than algae. You can see that in the next picture as well (also below) all along the waterline. And that vessel you see is NOT S2, rather it is INS Sindhukirti --> a Kilo Class submarine.

ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Austin wrote:First Nuclear Deterrence Patrol Marks Major Step for Indian Submarine Force

First Deterrent patrol Marks Major Step for Indian Submarine Force

Frm here...
The Indian Navy’s new ballistic missile submarine (SSBN) INS Arihant was the boomer that completed the month-long deterrent patrol. Whilst this is not insignificant – it is the first country outside of the five members of the U.N. Security Council to develop this capability – it also shows how far away India is to achieve its goal of joining the other great powers in establishing a credible sea-based deterrent.

Only the U.S., U.K., France and Russia can sustain continuous-at-sea deterrent patrols, which a provides continuous launch capability of a submarine-launched ballistic missile (SLBM) by maintaining at least one SSBN on station at any one time that could fire a nuclear missile. A continuous patrol requires a minimum of four SSBNs.

The patrol as a statement will have more effect in diplomatic circles than in military ones. India wants to join the club of countries that can support a sea-based deterrent and eventually achieve a continuous at-sea nuclear deterrent. It also means India will have the ability to launch all three air, land and sea-based types of nuclear weapons and a more robust second strike capability.
A second SSBN to follow Arihant was reported in Indian media to have completed sea trials. Named Arighat, the boat is due to be delivered next year and is expected to be larger than Arihant with a complement of eight K-4 missiles instead of four. Another two boats after Arighat are planned to be commissioned by 2023. Following from these first four Arihant-class boats another batch of even larger SSBNs is expected.
prasannasimha
Forum Moderator

Post by prasannasimha »

Thst article presumes Arighat and Aridhaman are not operational
dinesha
BRFite

Post by dinesha »

Angles And Dangles: Arihant And The Dilemma Of India’s Undersea Nuclear Weapons
https://warontherocks.com/2019/01/angle ... r-weapons/
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

I call BS on this article. will call out a few turds

Modi’s triumphalism belies Arihant’s modest capabilities. The submarine does not add substantially to India’s second-strike capability — at least, not yet. Until and unless India deploys an SSBN fleet carrying missiles with intercontinental range, which could take decades

Arihant’s first deterrent patrol lasted merely 20 days, suggesting endurance issues with its nuclear propulsion package.

It also required a nuclear reactor double the size of previous boats that could endure longer operations at sea.

Yogesh Joshi is a Stanton Nuclear Security Postdoctoral Fellow at the Center for International Security and Cooperation, Stanford University. He is the coauthor of India and Nuclear Asia: Forces, Doctrine and Dangers (Georgetown University Press, 2018).

^^^ ya ya just another think tanker paid lifafa pandu out to show his prescription with zero knowledge of how n-boats work. give him a kick on his rump and let him go.
arshyam
BRF Oldie

Post by arshyam »

First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, and then you win.

It's interesting that the ones that laugh loudest is often one's own (or ex-own). I wonder if this phenomenon happens in the Chinese diaspora and their think tank articles.
ArjunPandit
BRF Oldie

Post by ArjunPandit »

dinesha wrote:Angles And Dangles: Arihant And The Dilemma Of India’s Undersea Nuclear Weapons
well did you miss "OntheRocks" part from website?
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

dinesha wrote:Angles And Dangles: Arihant And The Dilemma Of India’s Undersea Nuclear Weapons
Poorly written article as author tries to reassure US readers India is not a threat and has robust command and control. While doing this he questions P.M. Modi's deterrent patrol statement.
Those IN officers who talked to him will be regretting their talks.

Can easily be forgotten.
Lots of useless history.
krishna_krishna
BRFite

ramana wrote:
Can easily be forgotten.
Lots of useless history.
The author was recently awarded PhD from JNU New Delhi and then absorbed into think tank of massaland directly with no real world experience. This literature should be trashed good paper for selling salty nuts
Gagan
BRF Oldie

Post by Gagan »

Bugger is only trying to make a mark in the literary and defence expert world.
Let me make an analysis of my own regarding this otherwise berozgaar turd

Given that this article written by him is poorly researched and speculative, and grossly underestimates true capabilities of the Arihant, It is very likely that the author has low two digit IQ.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

Some of the bird droppings i listed are just plain technically wrong . Endurance at sea is not a feature of a bigger power plant. Shows he knows nothing basic about submarines
souravB
BRFite

Post by souravB »

according to this article Ajai Shukla(from behind a paywall) says the installed power power generation for Arihant's reactor is 190MWt. Assuming a 20% efficiency the energy output comes around 38MWe. I really cannot say if it is underpowered or not. seems okay to me since AFAIK a large 65k ton ship require approx 80 MWe with EMALS.

This brings a question to my mind, the above link says it would take 10-15 years to get to a 550-600 MWt reactor for Vishaal. Why cannot we put two smaller reactors of ~250-300 MWt each in Vishaal and operate? Surely we can increase output by that much in 4-5 years. Unkil does that with Nimitz class albeit with an output of ~550 MWt each.
To be clear I have nothing against Diesel Powered IEP. But operating EMALS with it will surely increase cost, time and space usage.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

we might want to keep our limited reserves of uranium to power our nuclear subs. I doubt anyone is willing to export uranium for military powerplant uses to India at this stage in the game. russia, niger, brazil may have huge reserves which we should aim to import in bulk and stockpile if we can change the layout internationally.

the uss enterprise had 8 reactors
souravB
BRFite

Post by souravB »

All the news I read attributed to long development time and no cost sharing agreement. They wanted to build a 500+ MWt reactor. Who knows, maybe the need was for two 500+ MWt reactors in Vishaal.
Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

https://twitter.com/reutersanders/statu ... 1286960128

India's nuc subs in quite good quality

rkhanna
BRFite

Post by rkhanna »

Austin wrote:https://twitter.com/reutersanders/statu ... 1286960128

Right next to each other ??!!!
hanumadu
BRF Oldie

Post by hanumadu »

This is the first full length image of Arihant I have seen. The nose matches from the images we have seen when it was first launched. Comparing to Chakra, it seems to be about 10 metres longer than Chakra which makes Arihant about 120-125 meters. Perhaps enough to have 6 or even 8 launch tubes?
prasannasimha
Forum Moderator

Post by prasannasimha »

You can now clearly see the open hatch with one missile in it
hanumadu
BRF Oldie

Post by hanumadu »

IIRC, the general consensus here was that Arihant was a 90 m long, 6,000 tonne displacement sub. With chakra side by side, it will easily be a ~120m sub with 9000 tonne displacement sub.
Kakarat
BRF Oldie

Post by Kakarat »

If you see in Google earth there is a third boat in the partially open collapsible hanger INS Arighat
hanumadu
BRF Oldie

Post by hanumadu »

Kakarat wrote:If you see in Google earth there is a third boat in the partially open collapsible hanger INS Arighat
Post an image sir, or give a link to it.
Kakarat
BRF Oldie

Post by Kakarat »

hanumadu
BRF Oldie

Post by hanumadu »

Can see the hangar, but not the third sub. Must be my poor eye sight.
hanumadu
BRF Oldie

Post by hanumadu »

hanumadu wrote:IIRC, the general consensus here was that Arihant was a 90 m long, 6,000 tonne displacement sub. With chakra side by side, it will easily be a ~120m sub with 9000 tonne displacement sub.
Measuring on google earth, both Chakra and Arihant are 104 meters.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

Chakra has a fat look due to double hull
Really its usable interior is arihant size
Kakarat
BRF Oldie

Post by Kakarat »

hanumadu wrote:Can see the hangar, but not the third sub. Must be my poor eye sight.
zoom in to north of the white hanger below the yellow crane between the two parts of the collapsible hanger

So its confirmed that INS Arighat is out of the SBC and could be undergoing trials
It also means that work will be full swing on the third sub
hnair
Forum Moderator

Post by hnair »

I have posted this a while ago (two months ago). From Google Earth. Shows two Arihant class
hnair wrote:Two fishes in one frame. The one on the top-left (peeking through the floating hangar) seem to be the next boat

but yevil-yindoo made sure the hem-lines were lifted only as much, that it barely hides the hydroplanes on the coning tower and confuse all...... :lol: However from the taper of the sail and the shadow, can't be the Chakra (more conical sides than Arihant)
dinesh_kimar
BRFite

Post by dinesh_kimar »

^ Beautiful.
F**king A!!!

A decade after 2009, we are still discovering new things.

It's length is a complete surprise.
Always believed a basic Kilo class with 6-8 m plug.

Trying to get info on the Walchandnagar Industries steam turbine used on the boat, but no info about anything remotely making 83 MW. ( They might have helped with gearing, though)

Other speculation:

1. A former project director (BARC) had mentioned in his book that the boat was integrated with reactor and it went critical somewhere around 2001.

2. All hardware fabrication done by Bhel in Trichy, which seems plausible (Bhel does make steam turbines up to 150 MW).

3. Hull welding also done by Bhel, perhaps in Vizag.

The above in contrast to what we believe:

1. Turbine by Walchandnagar

2. Launch in 2009 by MMS, went Critical in 2010-11 timeline

3. Hull welding by L&T.

And the open hatch above shows a white surface, not necessarily a single missile, may be inside of an empty hatch ( they know satellites are above, missile loading probably done in covered shelter.)
Last edited by dinesh_kimar on 09 Feb 2019 21:28, edited 1 time in total.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

Its hard to make out if arighat is longer than arihant

To me it seems same width and length
Karthik S
BRF Oldie

Post by Karthik S »

Austin wrote:https://twitter.com/reutersanders/statu ... 1286960128

There's no way Arihant weighs half that of Akula.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

to me arihant seems to be around 6500-7000t class empty. ie los angeles class/virginia class size.

the Akula is 3 m wider due to double hull and empty 8500t.

length we can see now is clearly much the same.

with Yasen class going midbody UVLS route (40 kalibr/32 oniks in sub caliber uvls tubes), the virginia class new builds are also being fitted same way by bae systems

krishna_krishna
BRFite

What a beauty, just made my day. Singha sir, I believe Arihant in the pic is longer than akula no doubt they are not the same length for sure.
hanumadu
BRF Oldie

Post by hanumadu »

Kakarat wrote:
hanumadu wrote:Can see the hangar, but not the third sub. Must be my poor eye sight.
zoom in to north of the white hanger below the yellow crane between the two parts of the collapsible hanger

So its confirmed that INS Arighat is out of the SBC and could be undergoing trials
It also means that work will be full swing on the third sub
Oh, yeah. Thanks.
disha
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by disha »

Looks like Aridaman is at "sea trials".

If Arihant is docked and Arighat is in works, that only means the second boomer is out there oppressing the enemy :-D

I think the next two boomers in the Arihant class should be named Arilalchin and Aribaki.
mappunni
BRFite

Post by mappunni »

disha wrote: Arilalchin and Aribaki.
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: