INS Arihant: News & Discussion

The Military Issues & History Forum is a venue to discuss issues relating to the military aspects of the Indian Armed Forces, whether the past, present or future. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Sid
BRFite

Re: INS Arihant: News & Discussion

Post by Sid »

It may also be the first Indian SSBN pic with a open missile silo hatch. That white blip is a silo hatch.
Cybaru
BRF Oldie

Post by Cybaru »

I keep repeating myself!

I really wonder if S1 was really a land based reactor. There is another nuke boat out there for sure..
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

my intent of posting this photo is the 4 tubes shown on the arihant hump are really too far apart than needed and same form factor can accomodate more closely spaced tubes as in the ohio or any other SSBN
that section may not exactly need to 2X the length, maybe 1.5X will fit 8 tubes in one line.
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

Singha wrote:I dont think thats the Arihant but a 120m sub with 8 tubes (akula is 113m and this one is longer at both ends of pic). you can even vaguely make out the outline of 4 more tubes after of the open tube. 2 door outlines clearly visible on our side and 2 would on other side being a inline single row design

gentlemen of the regiment, I present the ARIGHAT !! :twisted:

which means it either arihant inside the half open shed or S3.
Agreed! The midsection seems too elongated to have only 4 hatches. It's worth using the other pic of the Arihant to establish whether the length of the conning tower and the proportionate length of the hull section up to the tailfin correspond to the ratio between them in previous pics of the Arihant. My guess it that this one is much too long in the midsection, which means this is indeed INS Arighat with 8 hatches, and the third boomer is the one that's currently sitting half obscured in the water, and Arihant is nowhere in sight.
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

INS Arihant: Length of raised hull section behind conning tower = 1-1.5 is as long as the conning tower.
NOT the INS Arihant: Length of raised hull section behind conning tower = 3x the length of the conning tower

The first pic is clearly a sub with space for just 4 hatches. The second pic is not the same sub, but a 120 meter long sub with at least 8 hatches.

Also not INS Arihant: The hull section behind the conning tower is way longer than the tower. Same proportions as the second picture and nothing like the first picture.
disha
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by disha »

disha wrote:It could be that Arighat is berthing lazily and both Arihant and Aridaman is out there and the one under the veil is an altogether 4th SSBN being kitted out.
^Plug'ing in my own post. :D
Pratyush
BRF Oldie

Post by Pratyush »

I don't understand wasn't the second boat Aridaman?

Or that's already in the water and out of sight and the we are discussing the third boat which is Arigat.

Or the Aridaman itself had its missile firing compartment elongated. And we're seeing her and not the Arigat.

Very konfusing I tell you. This last set of burka reveal.
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

Boat #2 and #3 are in a single pic on google earth. Neither seem to be the INS Arihant. Both are about the same length (~120m) and much longer than Arihant. Conclusion: there are two more SSBNs in the water, at least one of which (pic #2) is fully kitted out and the other (pic #3) is in harbour trials.
suryag
Forum Moderator

Post by suryag »

sir these could be rubber inflatables in the port
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

^ :rotfl:

but yes a great day today, a character building day, a dhoti distribution day @ nathu la pass bazaar.

2nd & 3rd sub can be confirmed in the water.
arshyam
BRF Oldie

Post by arshyam »

Suraj wrote:Boat #2 and #3 are in a single pic on google earth. Neither seem to be the INS Arihant. Both are about the same length (~120m) and much longer than Arihant. Conclusion: there are two more SSBNs in the water, at least one of which (pic #2) is fully kitted out and the other (pic #3) is in harbour trials.
Cybaru-ji questioned S1 being the static reactor, who knows onlee. These boats in the pic could very well be boats #3 and #4 :D
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

apple maps - only arihant is there, and clearly shorter than sub in above pic. shed is almost closed.
bing maps - nothing on the pier, one sub visible inside shed but around around conning tower covered by some construction jig so no hull visible.
another one - just arihant - https://satellites.pro/#17.709088,83.269553,19
salaam
BRFite

Post by salaam »

So in sum total. Both Aridaman class are in picture 2 and 3, while both Arihant class are not to be found.

Arihant and Arighat on prowl. And as usual no news of TD. ;)
Karthik S
BRF Oldie

Post by Karthik S »

Comrades, that 13,000 Tonne wala kab ready hoga? I think construction would have started.

Edited:

The sub in the above pic is indeed 13,000 T shark.

Below article is dated Nov 2018.

https://www.businesstoday.in/top-story/ ... 92710.html

A second SSBN has reportedly completed sea trials. Named INS Arighat, the boat is due to be delivered next year and is expected to be double the Arihant's displacement at 12,000-13,000 tonnes, with a complement of eight K-4 missiles. Another two boats after Arighat are planned to be commissioned by 2023. "Following from these first four Arihant-class boats, another batch of even larger SSBNs is expected," says the Maryland, US, based institute. These new vessels will be equipped with brand new SLBMs having ranges up to 7000 km, allowing them to strike Chinese and Pakistani targets from well outside the Indian Ocean.
Only 8 SLBMs for a 13k Tonne SSBN sounds under-armed. Should be atleast 12 SLBMs. For instance, the Triomphant class that has similar displacement carries 16 SLBMs.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

i believe the boat alongside the akula would be around 8000-9000t empty, not the 12-13k tons.

perhaps second class of SSBN will be that size. the troimphant is 138m, 13000t and 13m beam(which permits 2 rows of silos) - its a far larger submarine.
sahay
BRFite -Trainee

Post by sahay »

Seems to be a misreporting. A 13,000 tonne sub can't run on a 83 MWth reactor. S5 and following will be 13,000 tonne class and they need a bigger reactor.
Karthik S
BRF Oldie

Post by Karthik S »

Singha wrote:i believe the boat alongside the akula would be around 8000-9000t empty, not the 12-13k tons.

perhaps second class of SSBN will be that size. the troimphant is 138m, 13000t and 13m beam(which permits 2 rows of silos) - its a far larger submarine.
Indeed, then the sub in the pic should be the one that's in between Arihant and 13k Tonne sub. I hope we build one with wide enough beam for 2 silos for 16 SLMBS and not waste real estate space as we have done on our P-15s.
JTull
BRF Oldie

Post by JTull »

Singha wrote:I dont think thats the Arihant but a 120m sub with 8 tubes (akula is 113m and this one is longer at both ends of pic). you can even vaguely make out the outline of 4 more tubes after of the open tube. 2 door outlines clearly visible on our side and 2 would on other side being a inline single row design

gentlemen of the regiment, I present the ARIGHAT !! :twisted:

which means it either arihant inside the half open shed or 3rd sub.
Agreed.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

2nd sub was launched by Defmin in Nov2017 per news archives. so its 14 months in the water and surely reactor is critical and harbour trials done, it must be periodically foraying out for sea trials. we can surely expect 2020 induction, preceded by K4 firing unless some major issue emerges.

its hard to say if 3rd sub in the shed is ready to roll or not. I assume that shed is not construction shed, more like a fitting out thing after floating out from drydock construction shed?

so unless any new regime comes to power and starves of funds the momentum is there to
- induct 2nd , 3rd, 4th sub
- follow on classes of SSBN and SSN building
- K4, K5 (mirv and non mirv variants) with our current heavy FBF warheads

what we really need to optimize our SLBM tubes is lighter TN warhead to pack in 4-5 in each MIRV bus.
for this
- we need to engineer (or have the luck to enjoy) a world situation where P5 fall out of consensus on test ban and begin testing brand new ultra light next gen warheads, which we can use a shadow to test our own series of designs
- build a laser ignition facility -
- does it need data from older tests to work?
- do we have internal ability to build one? (i heard back in day US shared tech with uk and france for this to get them onboard CTBT, russia built its own and china was building its own too)

Shenguang Laser Project for Inertial Confinement Fusion:

The Shenguang (Divine Light) laser project explores the inertial confinement fusion (ICF) as an alternative approach to attain inertial fusion energy (IFE) – a controllable, sustained nuclear fusion reaction aided by an array of high-powered lasers. The lasers essentially heat and compress pellet-sized targets typically containing two hydrogen isotopes deuterium and tritium, sending shock waves into the centre and releasing energy that heats the surrounding fuel, which may also undergo fusion. Shenguang aims to achieve such “burn” – fusion ignition and plasma burning by 2020, while advancing research in solving the complex technological challenges associated with controlling the nuclear reaction.

Shenguang’s target physics, theory and experimentation, began as early as 1993. By 2012, China completed the Shenguang 3 (Divine Light 3) a high-powered super laser facility based in the Research Centre of Laser Fusion at the China Academy of Engineering Physics – the research and manufacturing centre of China’s nuclear weapons located in Mianyang. In this context, Shenguang has two strategic implications: it may accelerate China’s next-generation thermo-nuclear weapons development, and advance China’s directed-energy laser weapons programs.

its a massive project being done in phases and has both civil and military applications
http://www.sglf.net/AboutUs/History
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

Another pic of Arihant for proportion reference: Image
It appears clear that Arihant's raised hump section is nowhere as prominent or long as that of the inflatable boats in pics #2 and #3 above. It's possible these inflatable boats accommodate space for a longer flower petal delivery device.

For boat #3, there's a long tube like thing connected to the sub next to the gantry crane, so I'm guessing it's on shore power doing harbour acceptance trials of some kind . Doesn't seem like active construction.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

yes those big white tubes bring power and some cooled air to ventilate the ship in harbour.

hump could be taller by 1m to accomodate known plan for K5/K6.
the M45 SLBM is 11m, the M51 is 12m. trident is 13m.
the K4 is claimed as 12m in wiki which I doubt if arihant diameter is 10m like LA688 sub and 1m of hump. could be 11m.

so 12m and 3 stage would pretty much accomodate the longest range SLBMs around.
Dileep
BRF Oldie

Post by Dileep »

Those who 'lungi flutter' (that is opposite of dhoti shiver) please scan through the historic images of the same area on googal airth.

There are two fish, both very similar to each other. Note that the aspect ratio of the images are often skewed, so rely on the measurement tool.
ks_sachin
BRF Oldie

Post by ks_sachin »

Dileep you are saying something?
Pratyush
BRF Oldie

Post by Pratyush »

ks_sachin wrote:Dileep you are saying something?

That there are only 2 boats and we are imaging the second one to be longer than the first.
ks_sachin
BRF Oldie

Post by ks_sachin »

Thanks. I know but prefer someone of Dileeps stature to tighten the lungi...
Dileep
BRF Oldie

Post by Dileep »

Yes, the lungi will remain tight till it is time to deploy and celebrate. Fluttering it prematurely is not in my istyle onlee.

To tell the truth, initially I thought Singha was right, but flipping through the number of past images available, and taking some measurements convinced me otherwise.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

:( you could have cut me some slack there, its only 5 hrs short of friday.
GopiD
BRFite

Post by GopiD »

This might give a better angle to compare the lengths of the subs.

Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

Singha wrote::( you could have cut me some slack there, its only 5 hrs short of friday.
:D the measurement tool indicates a length of ~113m for pic #2 . No way of telling how long inflatable #3 is since it’s half concealed .
Karthik S
BRF Oldie

Post by Karthik S »

There's only ONE sub of Arihant size, that is the Arihant itself. If these 2 boats are larger or/and of same size, then these are indeed S3 and S4. Arihant (S2) is not in this pic.
Gagan
BRF Oldie

Post by Gagan »

Total only 3 N subs
Chakra: Deployed
Arihant: Deployed
Arighat - in Harbour trials
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

{Slinks back off to tech/eco forum with dhoti between legs}
prasannasimha
Forum Moderator

Post by prasannasimha »

There was an accident in SBC which was reported that spilled the beans that a second sib was very much being built along with Arihant and if Arighat was launched there are definitely more than 2 subs
disha
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by disha »

Gagan wrote:Total only 3 N subs
What about Aridaman? Where is it?
suryag
Forum Moderator

Post by suryag »

All this s1,2,3 discussion reminds me of Tejas lines1,2,3 :)
Cain Marko
BRF Oldie

Post by Cain Marko »

My pawam mathemagics says there are 4 nuke subs
1 akula class
1 arihant class
2 aridhaman class as seen Google image.

3 in water, 1 being kitted out.
Gagan
BRF Oldie

Post by Gagan »

disha wrote:
Gagan wrote:Total only 3 N subs
What about Aridaman? Where is it?
Maybe still inside SBC?
Arighat might be 4 tubed version only.
Aridaman might be the 8 tubed version.

The follow on 13K ton sub was still on the drawing board?

China, for example has SSNs and stretched versions of the same SSNs which are SSBNs.
Now onto 3 different pairs of each
Gagan
BRF Oldie

Post by Gagan »

Are Arihant and Chakra deployed as we speak
ArjunPandit
BRF Oldie

Post by ArjunPandit »

Gagan wrote:Are Arihant and Chakra deployed as we speak
Yes I'm tweeting from chakra... Will hoop to akula tomorrow