Indian Missiles News & Discussions - 17 Dec 2018

Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Re: Indian Missiles News & Discussions - 17 Dec 2018

Post by Rakesh »

https://twitter.com/DefenceDecode/statu ... jaW5Y7IAXQ ---> Five units of next-gen close combat missile (NGCCM) are under fabrication by the DRDO.

basant
BRFite

Post by basant »

That is surprising, to me at least. IIRC, ASRAAM is the NG-CCM, and work on the indigenous variant has not started. Would be happy to be wrong.
kit
BRF Oldie

Post by kit »

guess thats an astra version for CATS warrior..maybe make its way to UCAV s
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

https://twitter.com/DefenceReach/status ... jaW5Y7IAXQ ---> Never seen before deployment activity at Andaman Islands, taken from a hint of a picture from Naval Museum, Goa. Loading/Unloading activity of Brahmos Battery in possibly Southern Andaman. Third picture is public.

https://twitter.com/DefenceReach/status ... jaW5Y7IAXQ ---> The LHD Class ships appear to be one of the vessel class that are responsible for transporting them across mainland to ANC and within the islands if required.

Pratyush
BRF Oldie

Post by Pratyush »

Rakesh wrote: https://twitter.com/DefenceDecode/statu ... jaW5Y7IAXQ ---> Five units of next-gen close combat missile (NGCCM) are under fabrication by the DRDO.
I think HVT had tweeted about this a few months ago. Nice to see steady progress being made to ensure that we are self sufficient in terms of munitions at least.
Atmavik
BRFite

Post by Atmavik »

^^ he called it Astra IR.
Kakarat
BRF Oldie

Post by Kakarat »

https://twitter.com/IAF_MCC/status/1516 ... i14SPONdOA
Today on the Eastern seaboard, #IAF undertook live firing of #BrahMos missile from a Su30 MkI aircraft.
The missile achieved a direct hit on the target, a decommissioned #IndianNavy ship.
The mission was undertaken in close coordination with @indiannavy.
Was this part of the 4 NOTAMs?
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

https://twitter.com/alpha_defense/statu ... BCwg7lLXsA ---> FIRST LOOK: DRDO's Rudram-III.

ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

So many control surfaces indicate a highly maneuvering missile.
Looks like 4 fins for just the booster stage. Maybe those are for stability but the black patches look like hinges.
Interesting the mid-body fins have four patches.

Note contemporary missile:

https://twitter.com/godofwar272005/stat ... 1TsIwq7KXA
Vips
BRF Oldie

Post by Vips »

'Direct hit on the target': IAF successfully tests BrahMos missile from Su30-MkI.

The Indian Air Force (IAF), in coordination with the Indian Navy, on Tuesday successfully tested a BrahMos missile from a Su30-MkI aircraft on the Eastern seaboard. “Today on the Eastern seaboard, IAF undertook live firing of BrahMos missile from a Su30 MkI aircraft. The missile achieved a direct hit on the target, a decommissioned Indian Navy ship.

The mission was undertaken in close coordination with @indiannavy," the IAF tweeted.

The BrahMos missile provides the IAF with a much-desired capability to strike from large stand-off ranges on any target at sea or land with pinpoint accuracy by day or night and in all weather conditions. The capability of the missile coupled with the high performance of the Su-30MKI aircraft gives the IAF a strategic reach and allows it to dominate the battlefields over land and sea.

On April 11, India had successfully tested a locally developed anti-tank guided missile (ATGM), Helina, from the advanced light helicopter (ALH) at a high altitude, paving the way for the weapon’s integration with the chopper. This test came on the back of a series of trials conducted at the Pokhran firing range in Rajasthan.

The test was jointly conducted by the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO), the Indian Air Force and the army. Helina or helicopter-based Nag missile can strike targets up to seven km away.

The fire-and-forget missile, guided by an infrared imaging seeker system, successfully engaged a simulated tank target at high-altitude ranges, the defence ministry had said in a statement.

On March 23, India tested a surface-to-surface BrahMos supersonic cruise missile in Andaman and Nicobar. Defence officials said the extended range missile had hit its target with pinpoint accuracy
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

Vips, please do not post the same thing in multiple threads. Keep the discussion to one thread, otherwise different posters will have the same discussion in multiple threads. I have removed the above post from the Su-30MKI and IAF threads.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

"The Indian Air Force (IAF), in coordination with the Indian Navy, on Tuesday successfully tested a BrahMos missile from a Su30-MkI aircraft on the Eastern seaboard. “Today on the Eastern seaboard, IAF undertook live firing of BrahMos missile from a Su30 MkI aircraft. The missile achieved a direct hit on the target, a decommissioned Indian Navy ship.

The mission was undertaken in close coordination with @indiannavy," the IAF tweeted."

So what close coordination was done with the Indian Navy?
- Provide decommissioned ship as the target.
- Provide location coordinates for the target.
- Was this via P8I?
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

ramana wrote:- Was this via P8I?
I hope it was the above, with complete fusion of maritime domain awareness.

Could it have been the No 222 Tiger Sharks from Thanjavur with INS Rajali providing the P8I?
Prem Kumar
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem Kumar »

There were 2 tests. The 2nd one was from INS Delhi with a new modular launcher for Brahmos. The press release said "validated network centric capabilities"

So, entirely possible that the IAF launched the missile but got coordinates from a naval vessel via the naval GSAT. Or might be from P8I. Brahmos, post-launch itself, could have gotten upgraded target coordinates from naval assets

Btw, since P8I is customized for India, I am assuming it has our data links & also satcom interface with the Naval GSAT. Correct?
Kakarat
BRF Oldie

Post by Kakarat »

https://twitter.com/ANI/status/15166928 ... Ym-fBmIguw
A BrahMos supersonic cruise missile was testfired by the Indian Navy warship INS Delhi on Apr 19. The missile without warhead created a hole in the abandoned ship. The missile travels at speeds around 3000 kmph & is difficult to intercept by air defence systems: BrahMos officials
Manish_P
BRF Oldie

Post by Manish_P »

woo didn't know a missile without a warhead would cause the sides to explode outwards.. or is that an exit 'wound'?
neerajb
BRFite

Post by neerajb »

Yes exit hole. Check the metal triangle in the first pic for reference.
JTull
BRF Oldie

Post by JTull »

I see atleast 7 'target' triangles in the second picture.

OMG, is that someone standing portside of the bridge? I hope he wasn't there when the missiles were fired.
basant
BRFite

Post by basant »

If you zoom-in you can see it's not a person on the port side. :)
SinghS
BRFite

Post by SinghS »

It looks like those triangles are used for tracking the features in video footage. I am wondering what kind of post-analysis requires feature tracking?

Or are those for some other purpose?
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

https://twitter.com/lca_tejas_/status/1 ... PHYe-Y8NOg ---> 2022 BrahMos Tests

1) Jan 11th - from INS Visakhapatnam
2) Jan 20th - from ITR (missile with enhanced capability)
3) Feb 01st - from A&N Command
4) Feb 18th - from INS Visakhapatnam
5) Mar 05th - Brahmos-ER from INS Chennai
6) Mar 09th - BrahMos for Pakistan :lol:
7) Mar 23rd - BrahMos-ER from IAF (S2S)
8] Apr 19th - BrahMos from Su-30MKI
9) Apr 19th - BrahMos from INS Delhi

With the exception of Point 6 :), there are exactly one pair of BrahMos launches each month in 2022. Lets see if the trend continues 8)
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

Rakesh wrote: https://twitter.com/alpha_defense/statu ... BCwg7lLXsA ---> FIRST LOOK: DRDO's Rudram-III.
IR's inputs on the above tweet....

https://twitter.com/Indrani1_Roy/status ... PHYe-Y8NOg ---> A new detail has emerged. Rudram-III will have two motors.

Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

https://twitter.com/MichaelFaradey7/sta ... PHYe-Y8NOg ---> It's an ARM??

https://twitter.com/Indrani1_Roy/status ... PHYe-Y8NOg ---> Not sure. Frankly, once you have the airframe, you can use it in any A2G operation. This is a very fast and maneuverable projectile. So is most likely going to be used against well guarded targets.
viveks
BRFite

Post by viveks »

That looks like a fishing boat
Ashokk
BRFite

Post by Ashokk »

SinghS wrote:It looks like those triangles are used for tracking the features in video footage. I am wondering what kind of post-analysis requires feature tracking?

Or are those for some other purpose?
Trihedral Corner Reflector
The trihedral corner reflector simulates radar target precisely and is widely used for Radar system calibration.
Ashokk
BRFite

Post by Ashokk »

viveks wrote:That looks like a fishing boat
Its a Pondicherry-class minesweeper
rsingh
BRF Oldie

Post by rsingh »

Rakesh wrote: https://twitter.com/lca_tejas_/status/1 ... PHYe-Y8NOg ---> 2022 BrahMos Tests

1) Jan 11th - from INS Visakhapatnam
2) Jan 20th - from ITR (missile with enhanced capability)
3) Feb 01st - from A&N Command
4) Feb 18th - from INS Visakhapatnam
5) Mar 05th - Brahmos-ER from INS Chennai
6) Mar 09th - BrahMos for Pakistan :lol:
7) Mar 23rd - BrahMos-ER from IAF (S2S)
8] Apr 19th - BrahMos from Su-30MKI
9) Apr 19th - BrahMos from INS Delhi

With the exception of Point 6 :), there are exactly one pair of BrahMos launches each month in 2022. Lets see if the trend continues 8)
High Elevation Low creeping Lizard organisms ( HELLO) Brahamos for LAC :rotfl: :rotfl:
Haridas
BRFite

Post by Haridas »

The three corner reflectors mounted high on poles, are omnidirectional (4 corner reflectors packed together) corner reflectors.

While other reflectors are mounted 10-20 ft above deck surface.

Each reflector simulating a RCS that is ~8-15 times the corner reflector size

FWIW the significance:
1. The rather large reflectors are not meant for Brahmos RADAR homing/navigation at long range.
2. It simulates ship with large superstructure.
3. It is used to validate radar seeker algorithm to ensure it hits the middle of the ship well below deck line and not at the large overhead superstructure (the one with strongest RF seeker contrast).

As for it is looking like a fishing boat: The plastic nets are strung to detect accurately the missile crossover point in case of a miss (hole in the net).
V_Raman
BRFite

Post by V_Raman »

I remember an interview from a previous brahmos head who said something like - "imagine a salvo of 1000 brahmos launched in a short period of time against our adversary at different targets from different platforms". does anyone have a link to that?
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

Haridas wrote:...
Haridas-ji, thank you for that explanation. Greatly appreciated. Helps mango abduls like myself.

Can you kindly put a weblink to the picture in your post?
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

Close up shot of the BrahMos exit wound :)

https://twitter.com/IndianDefenceRA/sta ... gPgiwDYcnQ ---> A BrahMos supersonic cruise missile was test fired by the Indian Navy warship, INS Delhi on 19 April 2022. The missile - without warhead - created a hole in the abandoned ship.

SinghS
BRFite

Post by SinghS »

Haridas wrote:
FWIW the significance:
1. The rather large reflectors are not meant for Brahmos RADAR homing/navigation at long range.
2. It simulates ship with large superstructure.
3. It is used to validate radar seeker algorithm to ensure it hits the middle of the ship well below deck line and not at the large overhead superstructure (the one with strongest RF seeker contrast).

As for it is looking like a fishing boat: The plastic nets are strung to detect accurately the missile crossover point in case of a miss (hole in the net).
Thanks Haridas-ji. Learnt a lot. Your answer simplifies a lot of things.
Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya_V »

Rakesh wrote:Close up shot of the BrahMos exit wound :)
This image compared with Mia Channu clearly shows that the missile which crashed in Mia Channu had a warhead. Which raises the question how did they divert the missile from PAF Rafiqui to that cold store in Mia Channu, I suspect we have some ability to assign a updated target within some parameters via satellite to the missile.
Last edited by Rakesh on 21 Apr 2022 20:22, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Please do not requote images when replying. Post Edited.
ks_sachin
BRF Oldie

Post by ks_sachin »

Aditya_V wrote:
This image compared with Mia Channu clearly shows that the missile which crashed in Mia Channu had a warhead. Which raises the question how did they divert the missile from PAF Rafiqui to that cold store in Mia Channu, I suspect we have some ability to assign a updated target within some parameters via satellite to the missile.
I thought Hari Nair clearly stated that the Brahmos flying into Pak was human error.
Last edited by Rakesh on 21 Apr 2022 20:23, edited 1 time in total.
Haridas
BRFite

Post by Haridas »

Rakesh wrote:Can you kindly put a weblink to the picture in your post?
Not clear what you mean?
You mean don't show the image and just give url to the image?
If so I fail to understand the reason for the request? Pls clarify.
Prasad
BRF Oldie

Post by Prasad »

It hit right below the funnel, where the engines would be placed.
Last edited by Rakesh on 21 Apr 2022 20:24, edited 1 time in total.
ShivS
BRFite

Post by ShivS »

Any records of a Brahmos being fired on moving targets- say a manouvering ship?
Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya_V »

ks_sachin wrote:
Aditya_V wrote:
I thought Hari Nair clearly stated that the Brahmos flying into Pak was human error.
Launch was a Human error, But the missile would have some preprogrammed target and given the place it landed its preprogrammed target was most probably PAF Rafiqui- but it went and hit a Cold store in Mia Chanu- so I suspect once the missile was Launched Accidently The IAF did a Mid course update of new target which was meant to be rather harmless rather it Crashing into Hardened Air Shelter of a PAF Aircraft.
basant
BRFite

Post by basant »

That is one possibility, but from the open source information there is no mid-course update capability. The other possibility is that, during peace time (or until launch) harmless coordinates are fed as a safety measure which might have saved the day.
ks_sachin
BRF Oldie

Post by ks_sachin »

Aditya_V wrote:
ks_sachin wrote: I thought Hari Nair clearly stated that the Brahmos flying into Pak was human error.
Launch was a Human error, But the missile would have some preprogrammed target and given the place it landed its preprogrammed target was most probably PAF Rafiqui- but it went and hit a Cold store in Mia Chanu- so I suspect once the missile was Launched Accidently The IAF did a Mid course update of new target which was meant to be rather harmless rather it Crashing into Hardened Air Shelter of a PAF Aircraft.
I don’t know so would have or could have etc is not where I venture. I will take your word for it.