Armoured Vehicles: News & Discussion

The Military Issues & History Forum is a venue to discuss issues relating to the military aspects of the Indian Armed Forces, whether the past, present or future. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
ks_sachin
BRFite

Re: Armoured Vehicles: News & Discussion

Postby ks_sachin » 18 May 2020 12:29

Rsatchi wrote:
ks_sachin wrote:
Weight and dimensions acquire a value of their own in the mountains.
Please also think about how the tanks will be transported to their op areas.
There is a write up somewhere on how the t-72s were taken up to the "mountain plains"

Regards

S

Sachinji as early as '48 Gen Thimmaiah used Stuart tanks in Zojila Pass I think it was the first Kargil War!

And what does that prove sirji???
You could probably drive the Sturt in Bangalore traffic quite safely. A very big car!!!

ks_sachin
BRFite

Postby ks_sachin » 18 May 2020 12:41

I am just saying that without knowing the terrain and the logistics required it would be wise not to get into why a certain tonnage or dimensions are desirable and why some are not.

The Sturts were dismantled before being taken up...

Then there is also how we use those assets in that area....
How do we utilise them effectively....

Philip
BRF Oldie

Postby Philip » 22 May 2020 17:40

A Sprut type light tank,which has a 125mm gun, can be airlifted by both C-17s and IL-76s.Many moons ago someone posted a pic of a T- 72 airlifted by one ofour " heavies",I think an IL-76. However,terrain permitting- and I think in the Ladakh sector it is possible, T-72s would do. In the Eastern sector,not sure what type would be ideal. The Chins have brought their own LT which has a 100mm gun.

I came across a piece which gave A-1 and A-2 numbers in service.More than what is usually mentioned.I'm not putting out the numbers for obvious reasons ,but is there any open evidence that numbers of A- tanks built have been more than the numbers usually trotted out?

nachiket
Forum Moderator

Postby nachiket » 22 May 2020 22:54

Philip wrote:I came across a piece which gave A-1 and A-2 numbers in service.More than what is usually mentioned.I'm not putting out the numbers for obvious reasons ,but is there any open evidence that numbers of A- tanks built have been more than the numbers usually trotted out?

There are no Arjun Mk2's built. Mk1 numbers are already known and the factory has been idle for years. So this is very unlikely.

Philip
BRF Oldie

Postby Philip » 24 May 2020 02:56

Avadi idle? Or just the Arjun line idle? They have a huge backlog of T-72 upgrades and T-90 production,why the last order for a batch of 400+ T-90s from UVZ was made.

Yagnasri
BRF Oldie

Postby Yagnasri » 25 May 2020 15:18

I think only Arjun line ( if they still have it) is idle. Not the factory itself.

anupamd
BRFite -Trainee

Postby anupamd » 30 May 2020 11:01

http://www.indiandefensenews.in/2020/05 ... o.html?m=1

This article has a picture of Indian Army transporting Arjun Mk1 MBT near Indo China LAC. If true, this is a good boost for Arjun.

shaun
BRFite

Postby shaun » 30 May 2020 23:25

anupamd wrote:http://www.indiandefensenews.in/2020/05/india-china-border-row-dont-read-too.html?m=1

This article has a picture of Indian Army transporting Arjun Mk1 MBT near Indo China LAC. If true, this is a good boost for Arjun.

Not truck based transport as mentioned in the article , seems to be photoshopped

Return to “Military Issues & History Forum”