Artillery Corps: News & Discussion

The Military Issues & History Forum is a venue to discuss issues relating to the military aspects of the Indian Armed Forces, whether the past, present or future. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
kit
BRF Oldie

Re: Artillery Corps: News & Discussion

Post by kit »

Rakesh wrote:What is Carl Gustaf M4 that Saab will make in India?
https://insidexpress.com/news/rifle-tha ... -sweden-2/
27 Sept 2022
the M4s can use some really interesting ammunition!., indeed a very versatile weapon for infantry and spec forces and a real game changer

https://www.saab.com/products/carl-gustaf-m4

right from fletchettes., anti-armour, HE , air burst , tandem, HEAT, FS, HE, etc.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Kit those special warheads are for SF use.
Normal Army won't find use for such low damage warheads.
The big thing about M4 is the lower launcher weight.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

https://twitter.com/defencealerts/statu ... fUF2a_SIBg ---> ATAGS based Mounted Artillery Gun System Roll-Out In 2023.

ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Prasar Bharati on M-777

Army deploys M777 Howitzers to ramp-up firepower at northern frontiers

To ramp up the firepower at the northern borders of the country, the Indian Army has deployed the M777 Ultra Light Howitzer (155mm) in the harsh terrain of the northern frontier of the nation.

https://twitter.com/adgpi/status/157528 ... ms7oppfQOg

The Ultra Lightweight Howitzer gun provides a rapid reaction that delivers firepower under sustained combat conditions. Further, it is a highly transportable gun system which enables rapid deployment as it can be airlifted by the CH-47F(I) Chinook heavylift helicopters.

“The Indian Army has inducted the M777 Ultra Light Howitzer (155mm) in harsh terrain of the Northern Borders. The gun is highly transportable for rapid deployment to meet any operational contingency,” Additional Directorate General of Public Information (ADGPI) mentioned on a micro blogging site.

To meet operational contingency, a Light Artillery Regiment was converted to a medium regiment with the induction of M777 ULH in early 2021.

The Might of M777

With more than 1,090 M777s in service globally, the Ultra Lightweight Howitzer has a battle-proven rapid reaction that delivers firepower under sustained combat conditions. The ultralight gun consists of artillery technology which involves technical insertions, long-range precision guided munition developments and flexible mobility options.

The 155-mm, 39-calibre towed artillery gun weighs just four tonnes which makes it light enough to be airlifted underslung from Chinook helicopters operated by IAF. India has contracted 145 M777 guns from the BAE Systems (British Aerospace) and over half of them have been inducted.

Coming to the production of M777, BAE Systems has collaborated with Mahindra as its business partner for an in-country Assembly, Integration & Test (AIT) facility for the M777 Ultra Lightweight Howitzer. The facility will be a fundamental part of the M777 production line and enable the Indian Army to access maintenance, spares and support for the M777 locally.

As part of this procurement, BAE Systems will make an offset investment of more than $200 million in Indian defence suppliers, providing the access to the BAE Systems group across its Air, Land, Sea and Security programmes.

The Indian Army has significantly augmented its firepower along Line of Actual Control (LAC) while also beefing up overall military might in the region especially in the Tawang sector by integrating various services in real time through automation. This includes upgraded L-70 air defence guns, M777 Ultra Light Howitzers, and an automated and electronic fusion of Bofors and other artillery guns.

Further, Indian Army has also deployed the K9 Vajra-T 52-calibre self-propelled artillery gun in Ladakh which significantly enhances the range of its artillery in the area. The self-propelled guns have a range of 38 kilometers but they have been successfully hitting targets at 50 kilometers in the mountains up to 16,000 feet altitude in Eastern Ladakh.
VinodTK
BRF Oldie

Post by VinodTK »

Indian army 196th Gunners Day #Gunners' Day

ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Huma Siddique always writes clearly and to the point.

No rumor or fluff.
VinodTK
BRF Oldie

Post by VinodTK »

Artillery Modernisation has Gathered Momentum: DG Artillery

Interview of Lt Gen T K Chawla (Director general of artillery )
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

https://twitter.com/Kunal_Biswas707/sta ... 7ci40xgE-w ---> Stunning snap of Indian 155mm x 45 Caliber Dhanush artillery, which weigh less than 13 tons with range of 38 km now operational in Indian Army, in mass.

ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Very happy to hear Dhanush is in operational use.
Think of the many twists and turns it took.
I learned a lot about the internal ballistics of guns trying to figure out why Dhanush had barrel burst and muzzle strike.
Thakur_B
BRF Oldie

Post by Thakur_B »

Saw last week two Dhanush being delivered via road.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Great news.
YashG
BRFite

Post by YashG »

Rakesh wrote: https://twitter.com/Kunal_Biswas707/sta ... 7ci40xgE-w ---> Stunning snap of Indian 155mm x 45 Caliber Dhanush artillery, which weigh less than 13 tons with range of 38 km now operational in Indian Army, in mass.
Good news. I followed the tweet comment to learn that ~25 pieces might be operational. How is ~ #25 = "operational in Indian Army, in mass."

Unless number inducted are more.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

The early contract was for 114 Dhanush. 8 guns/ battery.
Plan was to order more once the production line is qualified. Looks like it's going well.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

In addition to what Ramana-ji said above, it is likely the plan to order more is indeed underway. And considering that this is OFB we are talking about, it is a good development. It will give OFB the confidence needed to handle larger orders.

If the 114 passes the Army’s stringent standards, rest assured more Dhanush orders will come. Keeping my fingers crossed, that OFB does not ham this golden opportunity.

OFB’s screw ups are stuff of legends!
SidSoma
BRFite

Post by SidSoma »

The army has already operationalised its first Dhanush regiment along the China border, and is now looking at raising a second regiment with 18 guns by March 2023.
From here

https://www.hindustantimes.com/india-ne ... 49581.html

Sigh sigh...
Pratyush
BRF Oldie

Post by Pratyush »

Why sigh?

We are finally moving in the right direction. In the linked article, none of the sources said that arty will be imported anymore.

Even with the M777 none of the sources stated that additional imports are going to happen. Which means that either the program is completed, with no additional requirements. Or additional requirements will be met through domestic sources.

Finally the stupid Athos purchase program has been shutdown.

All in all grounds for cautious optimism.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Can someone post just the data parts of the Hindustan Times article?
Eg how many medium gun: Dhanush and ATAGS regiments?
How many Sharang regiments?
Pinaka regiments?
bharathp
BRFite

Post by bharathp »

• k9 vajra
    • 100 inducted
      100 more to be inducted
  • Dhanush
    • 1 regiment (18) inducted
      1 more regiment (18) to be inducted by mar 2023
  • Sharang
    • 3 regiment inducted
      raising 4th and will have 15 in total, range 37 km
  • Pinaka
    • raising 6 more pinaka with 48km range
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Thanks, Bharathp!!!
Kersi
BRFite

Post by Kersi »

bharathp wrote:
  • k9 vajra
    • 100 inducted
      100 more to be inducted
  • Dhanush
  • Sharang
    • 3 regiment inducted
  • Pinaka
Do all arty regiments have 18 guns ? Can you give the ORBAT of a arty regiment ?

Can you give the ORBAT of a Pinaka / Smerch / GRAD regiment ?
Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya_V »

And M777s?
ks_sachin
BRF Oldie

Post by ks_sachin »

Kersi wrote:
bharathp wrote:
  • k9 vajra
    • 100 inducted
      100 more to be inducted
  • Dhanush
  • Sharang
    • 3 regiment inducted
  • Pinaka
Do all arty regiments have 18 guns ? Can you give the ORBAT of a arty regiment ?

Can you give the ORBAT of a Pinaka / Smerch / GRAD regiment ?

Kersi I think you ate asking for the TOE of an arty regt. The Table of Organisation and Equipment.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

https://twitter.com/DefenceDecode/statu ... wWPrLlIbfg ---> Two new variants of Pinaka MBRL has been developed and proposed by India's Solar Industries India Limited.

1. 130 - 150 km range variant
2. 250 km range variant

CC: @VivekSi85847001

ks_sachin
BRF Oldie

Post by ks_sachin »

Admiral,

In the above post surely it should be proposed and developed although if it was as stated then I would be pleasantly surprised as it would mean that "do now and say sorry later attitude" which I value.

Anyhow if the developed is for some other variant then the tweeter needs to go back to school and learn what the purpose of language is because I put it to you if they are so muddled in how they articulate things then they have no business trying to communicate with the world... :shock:
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

Click on that Twitter link Sachin. Some interesting comments in there.
Pratyush
BRF Oldie

Post by Pratyush »

Rakesh/ Sachin,

One of the you tube channels has reported that Solar industries had proposed to the army about the development of the new Pinaka rocket varient's. The Army had accepted the proposal for the Solar industries to develop the new rockets.

I am not certain how the project is to be funded and what are the development timelines for same.

Take it for what it's worth.
ks_sachin
BRF Oldie

Post by ks_sachin »

Rakesh wrote:Click on that Twitter link Sachin. Some interesting comments in there.
Saar,

Its just my age speaking, but I started trying to decode what Defence Decode had twisted just by reading the post!!!
Thakur_B
BRF Oldie

Post by Thakur_B »

The MGS by DRDO-Kalyani-BEML looks fabulous. Very TFTA.
Pratyush
BRF Oldie

Post by Pratyush »

^^^

Very true.

However, I don't really understand the development of these systems over the last few decades.

The only major advantage in my view over the traditional towed piece is the speed with which the system can be brought in and out of firing position.
ks_sachin
BRF Oldie

Post by ks_sachin »

Pratyush,

Which would you prefer as an organic arty asset of yours if you were a highly mechanised IBG where you continually want to supress fire 40 odd kms ahead with speed and flexibility to deploy across your frontage while also keeping up with your armr and mech inf assets.
Pratyush
BRF Oldie

Post by Pratyush »

Sachin,

That is what I understand.

1) What I am having trouble with is the fact that the gun being mounted on a truck removes a FAT from the equation. FAT has the ability to be swapped out. In case it's a casuality. But in case of damage to the mounting vehicle. We loose the gun as well.

2) the amount of ammunition carried by the fact is greater than carried by mounted guns like this. So I am losing the weight of fire I can bring against the enemy without having to worry about resupply.

I am sure that as professionals. The army has taken all the above in consideration.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

https://twitter.com/SJha1618/status/158 ... m64gCph55w --->

Alright, let me share some unequivocally 'good' news with you:

1. The tender for import of 155 mm/52 caliber howitzers has been scrapped with the file being closed.
2. Internal Army modalities for the procurement of 150 indigenous ATAGS howitzer units have been fast-tracked.

Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

Rakesh wrote: https://twitter.com/SJha1618/status/158 ... m64gCph55w --->

Alright, let me share some unequivocally 'good' news with you:

1. The tender for import of 155 mm/52 caliber howitzers has been scrapped with the file being closed.
2. Internal Army modalities for the procurement of 150 indigenous ATAGS howitzer units have been fast-tracked.
https://twitter.com/Firezstarter1/statu ... m64gCph55w ---> The true win would be if the MGS tender is cancelled because the ATAGS MGS meets IA requirements. Even better if we come up with our own K-9 equivalent, with high automation.

:rotfl: https://twitter.com/calm_sutra/status/1 ... m64gCph55w ---> Someone should call Kalyani and tell them to name their mounted gun as Caesar. Case Closed.
Tanaji
BRF Oldie

Post by Tanaji »

We should all live to the day where there will be 1000+ ATAGS in their various avatars in the IA…

All backed up by a state of the art 155 mm shell manufacturing facility churning out shells with abandon..
arvin
BRFite

Post by arvin »

Idrw reporting IIT madras developed Ramjet shell can reach 78km when fired from ATAGS. A longer shell can surely reach 100 km.
Makes it possible to target Skardu from Kargil.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

A French paper on developing a 120mm rocket-assisted IM round.

https://imemg.org/wp-content/uploads/IM ... aper5A.pdf

Note the testing facilities.
nachiket
Forum Moderator

Post by nachiket »

Pratyush wrote:Sachin,

That is what I understand.

1) What I am having trouble with is the fact that the gun being mounted on a truck removes a FAT from the equation. FAT has the ability to be swapped out. In case it's a casuality. But in case of damage to the mounting vehicle. We loose the gun as well.

2) the amount of ammunition carried by the fact is greater than carried by mounted guns like this. So I am losing the weight of fire I can bring against the enemy without having to worry about resupply.

I am sure that as professionals. The army has taken all the above in consideration.
SP artillery definitely has drawbacks compared to towed ones. In addition to what you have mentioned, strategic mobility (moving the guns to be deployed 1000's of km away) is also easier with towed guns since the tracked and wheeled carriers can break down while moving longer distances (wheeled better than tracked here). Though in our case the presence of a good railway network helps.

But on the other hand think about the current environment where UAV's and WLR's are ubiquitous. Quick tactical mobility becomes very important for survivability in addition to keeping up with the advance and towed guns have a big disadvantage there since it takes a lot of time for them to be limbered and ready to move and vice versa. Now think of the conditions on our western front - large flat plains and deserts with very little cover and you can understand why the IA wants mounted guns.
rohitvats
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by rohitvats »

ramana wrote:The early contract was for 114 Dhanush. 8 guns/ battery. Plan was to order more once the production line is qualified. Looks like it's going well.
Artillery battery is 6 guns per battery.
114 guns is 6 x Regiments plus 6 additional guns for training/conversion.
rohitvats
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by rohitvats »

Mounted Gun System (MGS) is a sine qua non for modern battlefield. Simply because with sensor to shooter cycle being compressed, you need to move out from point A to point B in double quick time.

As for transportation - transportation over long distances from peace to forward locations happens predominantly by rail. It is faster, safer and does not subject the vehicles and assets to wear & tear. Generally infantry and its assets move by road in military and civilian trucks.
rohitvats
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by rohitvats »

KSingh wrote:Does anyone else find it weird that Indian IDDM products have to go through countless trails in every Indian environment but imports can be ordered with the intention of only serving in one area (hence don’t get tested in any other sectors)?<SNIP>
Or, it could be a case of an equipment ordered for a specific sector/role [100 SP (tracked) for armored divisions] being rushed into another sector (because K-9 is your most modern, and long range weapon) because of emergency and found to be doing OK? And hence, you decide to order more for the new sector (again because of changed border realities) where there role was not envisaged earlier.

BTW, this follow-on order for another 180-200 guns can be processed as a case of repeat order, thereby not going through the hoopla of new purchase and attendant approvals. 300 unit comes from 180 SP (Wheeled) requirement being cancelled and transferred to only SP(T) segment.
Last edited by rohitvats on 19 Oct 2022 07:02, edited 1 time in total.