ramana wrote:manjgu or rohit vats,,
Does K-9 come under Armoured Corps or Artillery Corps?
Artillery brigade structure for reference. Will help to understand procurement and deployment -
1. Division artillery brigade -
- All divisions have an organic artillery brigade.
- Earlier, for an infantry division in plains, the structure was as follows:
3 x Field Regiments (105mm) + 1 x Medium Regiment (130mm) + 1 x Light Regiment (120mm mortars).
- In early 90s, IA went in for massive purchase of 130mm M-46 guns which came as a windfall on destruction of USSR.
- It is my understanding that IA converted many of its Field Regiments to Medium Regiments. So, this 3:1 ratio of Field to Medium no longer holds. Most divisional artillery is now of medium caliber.
- In case of Armored Division, it was 4 x Medium Regiments (130mm)
- For Mountain Divisions, it is same as Infantry Division but with Light Field Guns (LFG) instead of IFG, as LFG are lighter.
- Arty brigades in plains also have Surveillance and Target Acquisition (SATA) battery (counter-bombardment role)
- In some cases, SATA battery has been upgraded to a full-fledged SATA Regiments and these also operate the UAVs of the IA.
2. Corps Artillery Brigade -
- Not many left now as some were used as nucleus to raise the three Artillery Divisions.
3. Artillery Division -
- Tube artillery brigade
- Composite Artillery Brigade (Rocket and Missile Regiments)
- So, to answer your question, K-9 will go the Armored Division's organic artillery brigade.
- Technically, we need 12 x 18 = 216 K-9 units only for the armored divisions.
- But then, if people remember, the SP Arty order was split between Tracked and Wheeled SP Arty.
- Wheeled SP Arty was the famous South African G6 gun.
- Numbers were 100+180 (IIRC)
- But with Wheeled SP Gun category dropped, expect the 180 order to translate into K-9 or part K-9 and part Mounted Gun System (MGS).
- Even more important than K-9 is the Wheeled Mounted Gun System (814 units) as these will percolate to all the required formations and fill the need for SP Arty.
But the above is of course, on paper. With MOD now being pro-active and working in 'get what you have now, rather than wait for Godot', I don't doubt K-9 appearing in organic arty brigade of 3 Infantry Division, or as organic arty regiment of (I) Armored Brigade there.