Tejas Mk2 Medium Weight Fighter: News & Discussion - 23 February 2019

The Military Issues & History Forum is a venue to discuss issues relating to the military aspects of the Indian Armed Forces, whether the past, present or future. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
LakshmanPST
BRFite

Re: Tejas Mk2 Medium Weight Fighter: News & Discussion - 23 February 2019

Post by LakshmanPST »

https://twitter.com/hvtiaf/status/12129 ... 04896?s=19
This is a coarse surface model, to estimate ball-park sizing, rough positioning, etc. Especially overall size, to fit into small spaces on deck & blast pens.

Interesting inputs. Thanks everyone.
But this tweet will add more speculation... Coarse surface model of what...???
It looks like MWF, except the exhaust nozzles...
But then, he mentioned 'spaces on deck and blast pens'... So, it may well be TEDBF...
My guess is ADA would have started designing of TEDBF and would have decided that it will be based on LCA with two engines... So, HAL would have started doing some rough studies at their end based on this input...
rajsunder
BRFite

Post by rajsunder »

LakshmanPST wrote:https://twitter.com/hvtiaf/status/12129 ... 04896?s=19
This is a coarse surface model, to estimate ball-park sizing, rough positioning, etc. Especially overall size, to fit into small spaces on deck & blast pens.

But then, he mentioned 'spaces on deck and blast pens'... So, it may well be TEDBF...
My guess is ADA would have started designing of TEDBF and would have decided that it will be based on LCA with two engines... So, HAL would have started doing some rough studies at their end based on this input...
ORCA is a Cute looking Killer Whale. It looks like a sea panda.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Killer_wh ... umping.jpg
This is for sure a carrier based Fighter.
ashishvikas
BRFite

Post by ashishvikas »

A question : whether it's IN's TEDBF OR IAF's ORCA - engine will be F404 OR F141 ?
habal
BRF Oldie

Post by habal »

extremely uncomfortable with the fact of having exclusively american engines for even drawing board platforms.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

ashishvikas wrote:A question : whether it's IN's TEDBF OR IAF's ORCA - engine will be F404 OR F141 ?
Appears to be the TEDBF as per Group Captain HV Thakur (Retd). See first tweet below. But then he also mentions blast pens, which means this could be used in the IAF as well.

https://twitter.com/hvtiaf/status/12129 ... 04896?s=20 ---> This is a coarse surface model, to estimate ball-park sizing, rough positioning, etc. Especially overall size, to fit into small spaces on deck and blast pens. Interesting inputs. Thanks everyone.

https://twitter.com/hvtiaf/status/12129 ... 97344?s=20 ---> Indigenous fighter projects are equally important & all are being pursued in tandem with DRDO, PSUs, Private majors & Start-Ups. MoD & SHQs are in support. Funds are available. Domestic military aerospace had taken two steps back for the big heave. Our moment in the sun is here.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

ORCA Twin Engine: India’s Next Gen Plane Render Revealed
https://defenceupdate.in/orca-twin-engi ... -revealed/

Yagnasri
BRF Oldie

Post by Yagnasri »

Is there any official backing for all this noise? Correct me if I am wrong. So far what we have is one a picture from one officials. That is all. No other details. So why we are even discussing this?
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

engines sited so close to each other

do they have just the one concept where they add and subtract bits and pieces depending on how they interpret the customer requirements
nam
BRF Oldie

Post by nam »

We should not worry if the rendering is a perfect design.

Rather the most important point: It is a twin engine version of MWF in IAF markings.

This means there is some serious thought been given about offering this to IAF. It is not just a IN requirement. And if it is coming from HAL, it is actually good. HAL is now keenly taking interest in LCA, compared to 2015 when neither IAF nor HAL was remotely interested in it.

If IAF gets onboard, then we are potentially looking at IAF being out and out Indian designed force: MWF, TE-MWF & AMCA.

The "Late Come Aircraft" will form the basis of IAF... with lot of red faces on the ones who were making fun of it.

If I was ADA/HAL, I would take this offer to the ex-Chief test pilot of LCA program... who just happens to be the IAF Chief!
nam
BRF Oldie

Post by nam »

habal wrote:extremely uncomfortable with the fact of having exclusively american engines for even drawing board platforms.
You buy lots of them. American engines are very reliable. So even if there are sanctions, you can still use it like we did with the first flight of LCA.

Meanwhile, you invest in Kaveri.
ArjunPandit
BRF Oldie

Post by ArjunPandit »

nam wrote:
habal wrote:extremely uncomfortable with the fact of having exclusively american engines for even drawing board platforms.
You buy lots of them. American engines are very reliable. So even if there are sanctions, you can still use it like we did with the first flight of LCA.

Meanwhile, you invest in Kaveri.
iran stil manages to run tomcats..i dont think we are going Iran way anytime in next 20 years (the tiem to sort papis).i doubt they would have any issues with China....
engines to USA is what tanks are to russia suzerainty payments...
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

That's more revealing than the first post. So "they" are planning to modify MWF to TEDBF, not AMCA to TEDBF. It is interesting. I thought they would take the inlet+propulsion from AMCA and then build a naval fighter around it. A clean slate design is often easier for a naval fighter than adapting a shore based fighter for carrier usage. Adapt it for IAF.

Let's see. Rakesh, time for a new thread for TEDBF. Things are getting interesting now. Nobody starts a thread like you do.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

IR Saar, I was going to start a new one. Do we have any pictures or articles to work with? Anything at this stage would be helpful, even basic specs.

Nice to have a library/reference of data for BR members to view. Is the HVT image of TEDBF a good photo to add? Is that picture official? I know HVT Sir is not one to make stuff up, but just need confirmation.

I will close the old Naval Tejas Mk1/Mk2 thread if that is the case. I will also create a new Naval Tejas Mk1 thread as well, as naval single engine Mk2 program has now been scrapped.
nam
BRF Oldie

Post by nam »

So "they" are planning to modify MWF to TEDBF, not AMCA to TEDBF.
Given this is from HAL, it will be a modification of MWF, as that is the only design they have.

AMCA design is still with ADA. I wonder if we will see a competing TEDBF design from ADA...

It would be a good idea to get a "slimmer" AMCA as the basis of TEDBF. But then the advantage MWF has is, it's base design(MK1) is operational.

AMCA is a unknown..
srin
BRF Oldie

Post by srin »

Interesting to see what engines they have in mind. It can't be two F-414s or even F-404s if they are looking at modified MWF. Two F125INs or HTFE-25++ ?
Prasad
BRF Oldie

Post by Prasad »

Given they've already done a ton of work for the AMCA, I wonder how much of a difference in terms of work needed would exist between an amca derivative and a mwf derivative.

Rakesh,
I will shamelessly toot my own horn :P Origins of the tedbf - http://delhidefencereview.com/2019/11/1 ... ter-tedbf/
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

Prasad, you rock! DDR is always a good source and I will add your article in the new TEDBF thread. Please see there.
karan_mc
BRFite

Post by karan_mc »

srin wrote:Interesting to see what engines they have in mind. It can't be two F-414s or even F-404s if they are looking at modified MWF. Two F125INs or HTFE-25++ ?
24 tonne aircraft powered by Two F125INs which has combined Wet thrust of only 56kN , HTFE-25 is worse just 50kN ??, Don't think so . F404-IN20 with combined thrust of 168kN could be ideal since Rafale M is still powered by M-88 generating combined Wet thrust of just 150kN but it will be less then RD-33 aircraft engine used in Mig-29K which has combined Wet thrust of 180kN.
srin
BRF Oldie

Post by srin »

karan_mc wrote:
srin wrote:Interesting to see what engines they have in mind. It can't be two F-414s or even F-404s if they are looking at modified MWF. Two F125INs or HTFE-25++ ?
24 tonne aircraft powered by Two F125INs which has combined Wet thrust of only 56kN , HTFE-25 is worse just 50kN ??, Don't think so . F404-IN20 with combined thrust of 168kN could be ideal since Rafale M is still powered by M-88 generating combined Wet thrust of just 150kN but it will be less then RD-33 aircraft engine used in Mig-29K which has combined Wet thrust of 180kN.
Didn't know the 24t part. Presumption was that MTOW was going to be similar to MWF.
Dileep
BRF Oldie

Post by Dileep »

I happened to see a small mob of street vendors making a fight near CV Raman Nagar, on who has more right to build the next desi fighter. Everyone and their uncle (and aunts and kajins too) in that geography is planning to build one. There is money to be spent, promotions to be had etc etc...

I also saw a 1000ft tall wall having built between one DPSU, a few DRDO labs, One CSIR lab, and an independent "agency" under MoD. It was much higher and tense than Trump's wall (or our own Yellow Sea).

I was in town yesterday.. Youknow.. hit when iron is hot.. fish in troubled waters.. etc etc... And please don't tell me the story about the fox between two rams. I had that in 2nd standard text book onlee.
Zynda
BRF Oldie

Post by Zynda »

Dileep wrote:I happened to see a small mob of street vendors making a fight near CV Raman Nagar, on who has more right to build the next desi fighter. Everyone and their uncle (and aunts and kajins too) in that geography is planning to build one. There is money to be spent, promotions to be had etc etc...

I also saw a 1000ft tall wall having built between one DPSU, a few DRDO labs, One CSIR lab, and an independent "agency" under MoD. It was much higher and tense than Trump's wall (or our own Yellow Sea)..
:rotfl: :rotfl: Spot on Dileep saar...
chola
BRF Oldie

Post by chola »

The official statement about TEDBF asks for the development of a 110kN medium engine that currently doesn't exists anywhere. Not even in the US or Russia. That is the achilles heel of the project.

The F125 and HTFE-25 are trainer/drone engines with far less power than the F404/F414 family. The only possible competitor (discounting the chini WS-13 and WS-19) is the RD-33. It would make little sense for any redesign of the MWF to move away from the F414.
nam
BRF Oldie

Post by nam »

I am not surprised that Heli & trainers limited will be feeling very much left out and nothing much to show to the mantrji, who will come on visits.

After all it will be building lots of fighters, but none designed by it...

ADA should be allowed TASL as a provider, to overcome this drama by HAL.
Kanson
BRF Oldie

Post by Kanson »

Between LCA & AMCA, there was always a thread of plain twin engined fighter running in the back of the mind among enthusiasts & perhaps even among design authorities.

If not for this, def we would be seeing a twin engined LCA. Whichever way it is it is just the natural progression of lca development saga.
Prasad
BRF Oldie

Post by Prasad »

chola wrote:
The official statement about TEDBF asks for the development of a 110kN medium engine that currently doesn't exists anywhere. Not even in the US or Russia. That is the achilles heel of the project.

The F125 and HTFE-25 are trainer/drone engines with far less power than the F404/F414 family. The only possible competitor (discounting the chini WS-13 and WS-19) is the RD-33. It would make little sense for any redesign of the MWF to move away from the F414.
Hain? 110KN is for the AMCA Mk2. Even the Mk1 version will run on GE F414 engines. Same as the tedbf.
chola
BRF Oldie

Post by chola »

^^^ Ack! Prasad ji, you are correct! I have confused myself with all the announcements recently. I thought it was for the TEDBF.
Picklu
BRF Oldie

Post by Picklu »

Dileep wrote:I happened to see a small mob of street vendors making a fight near CV Raman Nagar, on who has more right to build the next desi fighter. Everyone and their uncle (and aunts and kajins too) in that geography is planning to build one. There is money to be spent, promotions to be had etc etc...

I also saw a 1000ft tall wall having built between one DPSU, a few DRDO labs, One CSIR lab, and an independent "agency" under MoD. It was much higher and tense than Trump's wall (or our own Yellow Sea).

I was in town yesterday.. Youknow.. hit when iron is hot.. fish in troubled waters.. etc etc... And please don't tell me the story about the fox between two rams. I had that in 2nd standard text book onlee.
Don't mind the street fight; that's the animal spirit in which great things are done. Exactly the same fight that drives Indian IT sector to dominate the globe on IT Service. Seeing this for 2 decades now.

The only issue would be if the elbow grease is not applied or money tap is shut after the hard fight to win deals.

As long as "duplication of effort" and "reinvention of wheel" are not sneered at, we will build the most important ingredient of success i.e. reserve bench strength in this area and enjoy the fruits for decades to come.

Too many examples of similar success, Indian cricket team post IPL or Chinese electronic industry.

The operative phrase is off course the "money tap remaining open"
Abhibhushan
BRFite

Post by Abhibhushan »

Does any one remember that even M2K also tried out a 2 engined version?
Kakarat
BRF Oldie

Post by Kakarat »

Not again, if some of you visit the thread after a gap please read at least couple of pages. Mirage 4000 was discussed only in the last page
Picklu
BRF Oldie

Post by Picklu »

Abhibhushan wrote:Does any one remember that even M2K also tried out a 2 engined version?
Abhibhushan Sir, would like to hear your perspective on that, even if it has been discussed by amateurs before.
Kakarat
BRF Oldie

Post by Kakarat »

Sorry in not being clear in what i intended to say, don't start it new again but continue from where it is
I am not against the discussion
kit
BRF Oldie

Post by kit »

Abhibhushan wrote:Does any one remember that even M2K also tried out a 2 engined version?
*deleted
Manish_Sharma
BRF Oldie

Post by Manish_Sharma »

Mirage 4000

Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

No better way to put it.
Abhibhushan
BRFite

Post by Abhibhushan »

Sorry guys. Getting old and lazy. :oops:
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

You are neither!
A rupee for your thoughts!
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

Abhibhushan wrote:Sorry guys. Getting old and lazy. :oops:
As Ramana said, you are neither and we would welcome your thoughts!
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

Abhibhushan sirji, this is what I shot down in the previous page.
krishna_krishna wrote:
Gyan wrote:The nose of OCRA seems faceted for stealth.

Now would this mean that Navy is going for horizontal tails for LCA MK2 but Canards for TEDBF?
Design closely resembles Mirage 4000, so looks like we took up design that Dassault didn't move forward with or we got some ToT. That means Rafale for second tranche of fighters will be a reality and more support to Kaveri.

https://www.dassault-aviation.com/en/pa ... rage-4000/
My principle objection is that such misinformation passed as a statement is quickly picked up by the media and amplified. The TEDBF/ORCA design is hundred percent desi. It has ended up like the Rafale 2-aircraft program.

What we see now is actually quite crude. Add another engine and enlarge the airframe proportionally. This has not undergone CFD or wind tunnel studies. No refinements have been made.
JayS
Forum Moderator

Post by JayS »

BTW, if anyone noticed, the image stack released, contains 2 different canard configs.
Indranil wrote:
krishna_krishna wrote:
Design closely resembles Mirage 4000, so looks like we took up design that Dassault didn't move forward with or we got some ToT. That means Rafale for second tranche of fighters will be a reality and more support to Kaveri.

https://www.dassault-aviation.com/en/pa ... rage-4000/
My principle objection is that such misinformation passed as a statement is quickly picked up by the media and amplified. The TEDBF/ORCA design is hundred percent desi. It has ended up like the Rafale 2-aircraft program.

What we see now is actually quite crude. Add another engine and enlarge the airframe proportionally. This has not undergone CFD or wind tunnel studies. No refinements have been made.
+1. "X resembles Y so Y must be copied" is too simple-minded analysis, and firmly belongs to Newbie thread.
Kartik
BRF Oldie

Post by Kartik »

Actually, the resemblance is even less between the ORCA and Mirage-4000 than what it is between ORCA and Rafale. So by that posters' logic, we got the design or some ToT for Rafale..which is obviously untrue and too simplistic.

This belongs to the same school of thought that believed the LCA was a copy of Mirage-2000 because both were delta wing with no canards. There are so many differences in the intakes, airframe, wings design (mid mounted double delta versus bottom mounted pure delta) that anyone seriously looking at the two would've spotted them and concluded that there was only very superficial design similarity and nothing close to being a scaled down Mirage-2000 design.

It only reveals a lack of attention to details.