Tejas Mk2 Medium Weight Fighter: News & Discussion - 23 February 2019

The Military Issues & History Forum is a venue to discuss issues relating to the military aspects of the Indian Armed Forces, whether the past, present or future. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
nam
BRF Oldie

Re: Tejas Mk2 Medium Weight Fighter: News & Discussion - 23 February 2019

Post by nam »

If HAL manages to convince IAF the need for SPORT, I would expect IAF wanting similar cockpit layout and functions. It will nothing new for pilots when they join LCA sqd.

Moreover will be major cost savings.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

Karan M wrote:Rakesh, SPORT is a HAL project not ADA. Mk2 cockpit may be more conventional unless IAF asks for this change. This was the original one.
I would like to post that video in the first post of each Tejas thread along with Shiv Aroor's article on the SPORT. Do you think that is a good idea? Please let me know.
Shameek
BRFite

Post by Shameek »

That video is mind-blowing. I wish them all the success and congratulate them for their initiatives. We have been 'building' planes for a long time now and have also done a lot of 'jugaad' when needed. But the level of development and the spin-off benefits from the Tejas programme are simply at a different plane. Once you have a product you truly own, then a lot of advancement comes as variations of the theme since you don't have to start at 0 every time.
Super happy to see this! :)
JayS
Forum Moderator

Post by JayS »

Wow. I have always supported idea of LCA based trainer cum fighter version, but this is nothing like I imagined. The possibilities are really very exciting. Imagine how exciting the budding pilots would feel to get their hands on all latest gadgetry at very early stage of their career. I would absolutely love that. And the crystal clear pitch by Dy TP HV Thakur, Kudos to you Sir. HAL need such people as face of the company. We need people who can dream big who are not bogged down by colonial inferiority complex. People who will dare to break free. I know a lot of the stuff there in the video is paper talk, but the vision it shows is really exciting. I am not so much impressed by the tech talk, but really by the confidence that oozes out from the TP and the crystal clear thinking and the proactive initiative displayed here.
ashishvikas
BRFite

Post by ashishvikas »

Does SPORT also qualify for Malaysian bid ? I know I'm getting too much excited after watching this.
nachiket
Forum Moderator

Post by nachiket »

Indranil wrote:Khare sahab,
You asked if the MLG is going to retract into the lower wing body join fairing. The answer is no for MWF and yes for NLCA MK2.
Where did they find the space for the additional fuel then? Was just the fuselage plug enough to improve the internal fuel capacity significantly?

Also, does it mean the NLCA will have even greater fuel capacity and better range than the MWF?
dkhare
BRFite -Trainee

Post by dkhare »

Thanks for posting that video nam. Absolutely loved watching it. It was heartening to see the vision, enthusiasm and sheer confidence of Dep. Chief Test Pilot, Group Captain Thakur!

The large area displays were amazing to see - looked pretty TFTA - hopefully we use a locally developed system from Samtel or similar. What was even more amazing to see in real demo mode was the ability to see the interleaved air-to-air & air-to-ground radar modes, moving map display, 3D view with Radar + SAM engagement bubbles, and an Electronic Warfare threat display all in one panel. The interleaving may be possible even on Mk1 today, but with the AESA we will get high accuracy tracking grade plots all the time. I can't wait to see this transform from a simulator to real world operational scenario.

The official renderings of the Mk2 "Smart Cockpit" layout, at least in the pictures above, show the more conventional 3 display format, with the ones on the left and right being much larger than Mk1.

The talk regarding the ability of the rear weapons system officer to control a UCAV off your wing OR the ability to carry 3 canisters with 8 drones each = 24 drones that will reach out more than 200 km away and carry out vertical attacks is super exciting too... The realist in me knows these projects are hard and futuristic in nature and need to be given the requisite time to develop, demonstrate and then productionized into operations.
ArjunPandit
BRF Oldie

Post by ArjunPandit »

From absolute doom and gloom untill 2013, where have we come now in 2019. I hope the success is manifold now onwards!
hanumadu
BRF Oldie

Post by hanumadu »

Does mk2 have a bigger engine bay? Can it accommodate a bigger diameter engine?
nachiket
Forum Moderator

Post by nachiket »

hanumadu wrote:Does mk2 have a bigger engine bay? Can it accommodate a bigger diameter engine?
No.
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

nam wrote:If HAL manages to convince IAF the need for SPORT, I would expect IAF wanting similar cockpit layout and functions. It will nothing new for pilots when they join LCA sqd.

Moreover will be major cost savings.
You have to understand federated displays offer redundancy. One SMART MFD goes, the others are still around to pick up the slack. In this case, there is a single point of failure.

This is the key reason many OEMs have not yet embraced single piece large screen displays.
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

Rakesh wrote:
Karan M wrote:Rakesh, SPORT is a HAL project not ADA. Mk2 cockpit may be more conventional unless IAF asks for this change. This was the original one.
I would like to post that video in the first post of each Tejas thread along with Shiv Aroor's article on the SPORT. Do you think that is a good idea? Please let me know.
The video sure. You can even link the image I provided, because its the original plan and many elements will be retained in Mk2 or perhaps I need to do a write up on Mk2 time permitting. I end up spending the same amount of time on BRF posts anyhow..

Aroors article though is wrong, he claims the SPORT would be a light variant of the LCA with sensors removed. In reality, it's an all up variant of the single seat/2 seat trainer with all the sensors and combat capabilities retained.
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

JayS wrote:Wow. I have always supported idea of LCA based trainer cum fighter version, but this is nothing like I imagined. The possibilities are really very exciting. Imagine how exciting the budding pilots would feel to get their hands on all latest gadgetry at very early stage of their career. I would absolutely love that. And the crystal clear pitch by Dy TP HV Thakur, Kudos to you Sir. HAL need such people as face of the company. We need people who can dream big who are not bogged down by colonial inferiority complex. People who will dare to break free. I know a lot of the stuff there in the video is paper talk, but the vision it shows is really exciting. I am not so much impressed by the tech talk, but really by the confidence that oozes out from the TP and the crystal clear thinking and the proactive initiative displayed here.
You said it. The TPs enthusiasm and the cool display were great.

The Swarm drones and cruise missile are not just easy to develop or deploy. HAL advertised a bunch this AI.

But making the two seater into a WSO kind of platform is a great idea.
Lilo
BRF Oldie

Post by Lilo »

dkhare wrote:...
The talk regarding the ability of the rear weapons system officer to control a UCAV off your wing OR the ability to carry 3 canisters with 8 drones each = 24 drones that will reach out more than 200 km away and carry out vertical attacks is super exciting too... The realist in me knows these projects are hard and futuristic in nature and need to be given the requisite time to develop, demonstrate and then productionized into operations.
HAL Unmanned wingman (MTOW (1300Kg) spec sheet from Aero India 2019) could be a low observable development of Lakshya drone( 750KG MTOW) - it has got the same engine class PTAE7.Being developed with HAL "working closely with (indian)private industry"
https://twitter.com/zone5aviation/statu ... 6747696129

Looks similar in mission profile to this UTAP-22 Mako (MTOW 930Kg)

Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

ashishvikas wrote:Does SPORT also qualify for Malaysian bid ? I know I'm getting too much excited after watching this.
No because the radar, jammer, HMD and likely even this display HW are Israeli.
Khalsa
BRFite

Post by Khalsa »

Rakesh wrote:
nam wrote:Looks like this will be MK2 cockpit( or may be MK1A as well). HAL intends to modify one of the LSP to this standard. It will very interesting.
HOLD UP!!! Roll Back the Wagon!!! Stop the Press!!!

Everyone needs to see that video posted by nam. Listen to what the pilot is saying - it will give your jingo heart amazing blood pressure!!! As cool as that video is, ***LISTEN*** to what that pilot is saying. Mother of Jupiter, Tejas is going places. And you are right, it looks like this cockpit layout will feature in the Mk2.

I am might just post this video in the first post of all three Tejas threads we have on BRF!

WOW!!!!! This mango abdul is very excited. We do not even need MMRCA 3.0 :lol:
Jesus Christ, Yah Allah, Ram and Waheguru... I am just 5 minutes through this and can't believe what I am watching.
On Excitement level this is just just below Surgical Strikes 2.0
Amazing job by HAL .... Go HAL

Jai Hind
tsarkar
BRF Oldie

Post by tsarkar »

Rakesh wrote:That drone and cruise missile stuff is what is most exciting.
Dear Rakesh, your use of the word exciting is making me write this post.

In the corporate world we have something called "Thought Leadership". In the automobile industry there is something called "concept cars".

Intent of "Thought Leadership" is to excite shareholders, customers, partners that the corporation is doing something visionary & mind boggling.

However in 99% of the cases, translating "thought leadership" to tangible business outcomes doesnt happen.

Infact, nothing happens after the event where "thought leadership" is spoken about.

Unmanned Wingman and Swarm are highly complex concepts requiring complex control algorithms and communication spectrum management. Zero practical work on these has been done by HAL. The imagery of the unmanned wingman is plagiarized from a company called Kratos

https://www.airforce-technology.com/new ... 17-5845491

https://aviationweek.com/combat-aircraf ... o-valkyrie

Needless to say, this kind of hype irritates long term customers, who will still be there when Aero India 2021 happens.

I would request members visiting Aero India 2021 to bookmark this post of mine and themselves update on how much progress has been made in these two areas.
gaurav.p
BRFite

Post by gaurav.p »

Given that MWF is aimed at matching the mirages. An old mirage documentary by DD. Released after successful Op Balakot.

Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

tsarkar wrote:
Rakesh wrote:That drone and cruise missile stuff is what is most exciting.
Dear Rakesh, your use of the word exciting is making me write this post.
tsarkar-ji, let this mango abdul get excited.

I am not denying anything you have said in your post. But I am very impressed and very proud that they are at least thinking about this. There are many who said that the Tejas Mk2 will never come.

Now imagine, if instead of the Tejas....we were doing screwdrivergiri on the F-16 Block 70 :)

One American apologist (not you Sir!) on BRF - the great strategic think and risk assessor - was arguing to end the Tejas program! In his words, it was a good effort, but we should move on :roll:
tsarkar
BRF Oldie

Post by tsarkar »

@Rakesh, agree with you.

My only point is that goals and visions should be mapped to available technology and skillsets.

The Tejas Mk1 & Mk1A is a very worthy replacement of MiG-21. And as Dr Girish Deodhar said in his interview with Murali Ananth Krishna, the Mk2/MWF will be a replacement for Mirage 2000 with a 98 kN engine.

HAL needs to focus on rapidly productionizing Mk1A and thereafter Mk2. All this unmanned wingman and swarm should take lower priority than that.

BTW the Mk1A orders are expected imminently. While GoI has paid for expanding production line from 8 to 16 fighters, there were additional costs in HAL proposal that were beyond IAF budget. Hopefully MoD will shortly address it.

Lastly, with 18 additional Su-30MKI and 83 Tejas Mk1A, there is no money left for 110 fighter RFP. That will die a natural death. We may get 36 additional Rafale. But these 18+83+36 will replace the remaining MiG-21 & MiG-27s.
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

The swarm drone and UAS etc need not come. However, the basic thinking behind taking that large display (likely from Elbit), repositioning the central HOTAS and throttle to the side controller and making the LCA into a strike platform, with the back-seater a WSO, is still very valid.

HAL is investing into advanced cockpits (likely the software based on proven hardware from Israel or SAMTEL)
https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-bN_0WheydJk/ ... ment-1.jpg
https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-79ZYDDR5maM/ ... ment-2.jpg

Take a look at this concept. Its called the Jaguar MAX to follow DARIN3.
https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-gCaL-Zjkz3s/ ... ockpit.jpg
https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-8XwqVQLgZ60/ ... ster-1.jpg
https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-Tz2tL9yiHkc/ ... ster-2.jpg

So Rakesh, by all means remain excited. You have a reason to be excited.

A fully combat capable LCA Mk1A/MK1A trainer with an advanced cockpit and WSO function and a wide range of qualified munitions, EW aids can act as a strike package leader & will also increase IAF orders if IAF buys into the combat capable LIFT concept.

That large screen display trades reliability/redundancy for absolute efficiency. Its very similar to the F-35 cockpit, whose new variant will also be from ELBIT.
https://www.ainonline.com/aviation-news ... eplacement

LCA Mk1A with all/most of the weapons qualified on the IAF fleet including SCALP etc, wide band jammer and a WSO function. What's not to like!

ELTA was busy advertising the huge SkyShield pod at Aero India.

I can bet a dime to a dozen, it will be integrated with the LCA if we need, but will be very hard to put on any of our upgraded legacy aircraft. That's been the case so far with all the 3rd party kit.
raghuk
BRFite -Trainee

Post by raghuk »

Karan M wrote:
ashishvikas wrote:Does SPORT also qualify for Malaysian bid ? I know I'm getting too much excited after watching this.
Display hardware is Indian sir. And the software has been written in 20 days by our guys at the ARDC. The lead developer is my batchmate and he feels if the hardware obtains certification then the rest is easily doable.
A very motivated team they are the the DCTP is an awesome guy.
Hope the IAF and IN provide the requisite support.
Cheers!
Zynda
BRF Oldie

Post by Zynda »

raghuk wrote:
Karan M wrote:
Display hardware is Indian sir. And the software has been written in 20 days by our guys at the ARDC. The lead developer is my batchmate and he feels if the hardware obtains certification then the rest is easily doable.
A very motivated team they are the the DCTP is an awesome guy.
Hope the IAF and IN provide the requisite support.
Cheers!
Thanks...good to hear this. Good news today keeps on coming.
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

Now you have made my day RaghuK! Is it SAMTEL or from any other firm?

Does it also have any sort of sensor fusion?

Godspeed to you guys. If the display hardware is Indian, then putting that on the SPORT makes even more sense.

The LCA Mk2 can continue to retain the combat spec++ federated displays + 2 level MC setup for redundancy. But let the SPORT have this & act like a combat strike leader platform @ wartime.
JTull
BRF Oldie

Post by JTull »

If HAL has hit some ergonomic sweet spot with LCA-SPORT then that is worth a serious look for rest of the fleet (MK1/1A/MWF). Current layout is already a decade old, so by the time future versions come along they will be due an update.

I found the choice of right hand stick interesting. That will require a deeper thought esp as we'll have only 36 Rafale.
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

More than just matching Rafale layout, it allows pilot/WSO unfettered access to the large display which can be used to designate targets using radar, Litening LDP or guide missiles to target (those with man-in-loop guidance).
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

LCA MK1A already has this ordered. EL/L-8222 WB.
https://www.janes.com/article/85107/ind ... -lca-mk-1a

EL/L-8222 SPJ WB
https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-sUbTucVpXz4/ ... ASPJ-1.jpg

Alpha is offering to upgrade IAFs existing pods (used on MiG-21 Bison, MiG-27 UPG, Jaguar probably) to WB standard.
https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-HAPnKaVzVpY/ ... ASPJ-2.jpg

For MK2 we should look at using the LCA as a full blown EW platform using jammers like this.
https://medium.com/@skunkworksLH/rafael ... 197c244987
brar_w
BRF Oldie

Post by brar_w »

Lilo wrote: Looks similar in mission profile to this UTAP-22 Mako (MTOW 930Kg)
Looks quite similar to the Kratos Valkyrie -

gaurav.p
BRFite

Post by gaurav.p »

Karan M wrote: ...

For MK2 we should look at using the LCA as a full blown EW platform using jammers like this.
https://medium.com/@skunkworksLH/rafael ... 197c244987
With MAWS on MWF, wishing that RF decoy pods and DIRCM will also be added.

Regarding rafael skyshield a noob pooch, what is operational difference between single EW specialised aircraft for SEAD vs each aircraft carrying self-protection jammers? (aren't both like different ways of doing the same thing like the flying boom and the probe/drouge for AAR)
brar_w
BRF Oldie

Post by brar_w »

gaurav.p wrote:
Regarding rafael skyshield a noob pooch, what is operational difference between single EW specialised aircraft for SEAD vs each aircraft carrying self-protection jammers? (aren't both like different ways of doing the same thing like the flying boom and the probe/drouge for AAR)
Depends upon what the mission requirement is. For some there may be no difference but for others they may be world's apart in terms of capability. A dedicated SEAD/DEAD platform like the Growler can be kitted for full spectrum EW/EA which means the entire range of stand-off, stand-in and escort jamming against a very wide range of RF targets covering a huge swath of frequencies used in communications, navigation and radar systems. It is also able to handle and prosecute a larger number of targets and is able to concurrently perform SEAD and DEAD with its ability to hand off targeting data to an AARGM without it stopping its EA duties from the jammers. Something like the F-16 CJ on the other hand is different in that it is limited in terms of the types of emitters it can engage and the volume of workload it is able to handle in a mission.

Self protection EW/EA is essentially geared towards a specific set of radars that help the aircraft degrade the fire control and make it hard for the opponent to close the loop and therefore reduce the effectiveness of surface-to-air missiles (or a2a missiles) and sensors against a threat type. SFJs are not geared towards full spectrum dedicated EW/EA. It is something that you need to aid in your survivability against potent defenses so that you have a higher probability of mission success. While you can gear capable SFJ equipped aircraft with a DEAD weapon and make it into a DEAD platform it is really the type of threat that you are up against that will determine how effective you are in terms of that full spectrum EW--EA--ESM and DEAD across the mission areas (Stand off/ wide area, escort, and stand in/point) . Usually SFJ's are survival / defensive aids that help strike aircraft and increase likelyhood of mission success. On the other hand something like a Growler is more geared towards offensive EA mission.
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

dkhare,

1. no sahab from here on.
2. I did not notice the elevon hydraulics before. Good eyes. Will have to look at models more carefully.
3. I must say you have a keen eye. You have demonstrated it on numerous occasions now.
sajaym
BRFite

Post by sajaym »

nam wrote:
Awesome cockpit and concepts! I wonder whether it would be possible to have split MFDs + centre-stick controller in the front cockpit of the SPORT and single MFD + side-stick controller in the back cockpit. The benefits of this type of arrangement will be:

1. The SPORT can be marketed to countries which do not have a side-stick control fighter in their inventory.
2. The trainees can first get used to the flight characteristics of the SPORT in the front cockpit with the centre-stick (since they would've already graduated to this phase from a centre-stick aircraft), then they can move onto the side-stick cockpit at the back.
3. When the SPORT is being used in the attack role, the WSO at the back will naturally have a bigger MFD and easier access to this big MFD without being hampered by the stick controller between his legs. Also, even in the trainer role the instructor at the back will have better view of the MFD and can monitor various parameters of the aircraft/trainee at a single shot.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

gaurav.p wrote:Given that MWF is aimed at matching the mirages. An old mirage documentary by DD. Released after successful Op Balakot.
Thank you for posting this. I am grateful to you.

Very sad watching Ramesh “Joe” Bakshi. To think he is no longer around (lost his life in the 1989 Air Force Day crash). Very happy to see Air Chief Marshal Krishnaswamy, Air Marshal Bhavnani, Air Marshal Keelor, Air Marshal Chopra, etc. Very nice video!
sankum
BRFite

Post by sankum »

Aeromag show daily 1

Interview-Dr. Girish S. Deodhare Programme Director, Combat Aircraft & Director, ADA
The Airforce Mark-2 design has been completed. This is a medium weight fighter which has almost 1.8 times the payload capabilities of Mark-1. It is a long-range medium weight aircraft and can replace the other medium weight aircraft in the IAF, like the Mirage 2000.
Haridas
BRFite

Post by Haridas »

Rakesh wrote:
gaurav.p wrote:Given that MWF is aimed at matching the mirages. An old mirage documentary by DD. Released after successful Op Balakot.
Thank you for posting this. I am grateful to you.

Very sad watching Ramesh “Joe” Bakshi. To think he is no longer around (lost his life in the 1989 Air Force Day crash). Very happy to see Air Chief Marshal Krishnaswamy, Air Marshal Bhavnani, Air Marshal Keelor, Air Marshal Chopra, etc. Very nice video!
I witnessed the crash of Wing Cdr. Ramesh Bakshi that day. His flying display was stupendous, except for the last maneuver transitioning from victory roll to supersonic flypast where he hesitated for 1.5 seconds in recovering from vertical dive that caused the crash.

My father, wife and new born son was also present that day. Many years later Air Chief SK Mehra recalled that fateful day.

Abhibhushan sir (IIRC he was DG Air Safety in HQ before retirement) recounted his interaction w/Joe Bakshi few days earlier and cautioned him on his non-safe practice run at AFS Hindon.
Kartik
BRF Oldie

Post by Kartik »

gaurav.p wrote:
sivab wrote: Hear directly from ADA chief @1:25. Design is done, mk2 wind tunnel model shown in AI19 was tested, metal cutting soon.

https://twitter.com/writetake/status/10 ... 1056533505
The wind tunnel tests done up till now have been done on the mk1 model with canards as mentioned in the linked tweets. Since the MWF has other changes as well, testing with mk1 model with canards shouldn't suffice IMO. The wise saars will bring more clarity, I guess.
The wind tunnel model is clearly not a Mk1. See the location of the air intake and the length of the forward fuselage. It is much longer than a Mk1. Don’t know how Vijainder Thakur couldn’t make out that easily visible fact.
Prasad
BRF Oldie

Post by Prasad »

We spoke to the person in-charge. It is a Mk1 model with an additional plug and canards.
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

Nachiket,

Missed your question above. The internal volume of MWF is about 3m^3 higher than Mk1. So adding about 1m^3 of extra fuel is par for the course (actually pretty close to rule of thumb for fighters).
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

Kartik wrote:
gaurav.p wrote:
The wind tunnel tests done up till now have been done on the mk1 model with canards as mentioned in the linked tweets. Since the MWF has other changes as well, testing with mk1 model with canards shouldn't suffice IMO. The wise saars will bring more clarity, I guess.
The wind tunnel model is clearly not a Mk1. See the location of the air intake and the length of the forward fuselage. It is much longer than a Mk1. Don’t know how Vijainder Thakur couldn’t make out that easily visible fact.
I saw people pointing out stuff to him on twitter which he missed. He gets angry at them and blocks them. :lol:
Too fixed in his opinions IMHO, though I could be mistaken.
ks_sachin
BRF Oldie

Post by ks_sachin »

Karan
Are you saying he is living up to the reputation of a stereotypical fauji?