Operation Balakot: News & Discussion

The Military Issues & History Forum is a venue to discuss issues relating to the military aspects of the Indian Armed Forces, whether the past, present or future. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Re: Operation Balakot: News & Discussion

Post by chetak »

and the usual rudaalis who are getting it in the neck

khan
BRFite

Post by khan »

Looks like there is shelling stuff was fake news - for possibly the 10th time, please don’t post garbage from un-trusted Twitter accounts:

https://twitter.com/sjha1618/status/110 ... 45857?s=21
Accha? “The shelling was so intense that two to three mortar shells also fell in the main market of tehsil headquarters Nakyal,” said Dr Umer Azam, the deputy commissioner of Kotli.
dawn.com/news/1467008
There’s no DC system in AJK. You bunch of over 1 billion retards
pankajs
BRF Oldie

Post by pankajs »

^^
Read again and in sequence ... It is just the reverse.

1. The baki claims there is no DC in POK and hence report of shelling quoting is fake news.
2. To which Jha ji offers Dawn quote with link
Last edited by pankajs on 02 Mar 2019 11:53, edited 1 time in total.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

twitter
Not one Pakistani has posted pics of Balakot or F16 giving solid support to their govt, whereas in India we have voices abusing PM, praising pakis, irresponsibly posting/circulating pictures, media blatantly showcasing crash site pictures.
khan
BRFite

Post by khan »

pankajs wrote:^^
Read again and in sequence ... It is just the reverse.

1. The baki claims there is no DC in POK and hence report of shelling quoting is fake news.
2. To which Jha ji offers Dawn quote with link
Yep! Intense shelling confirmed!!!

Added later: the Baki also deleted his tweet.
Mollick.R
BRFite

Post by Mollick.R »

On a lighter note

Kakarat
BRF Oldie

Post by Kakarat »

Austin wrote:
Kakarat wrote:
Are we sure that this was the target? This is the terrorist camp? I don't think the gov has given any coordinates to public, everyone is assuming that this is the target

I am saying this because I can see another Isolated hill top structure just 3KM north of this site slightly more organised
Already debunked here https://twitter.com/vkthakur/status/1101692716415516672
I have read that and i have no doubts on IAF's claims on hitting the intended targets, I just want to know the source that this was the intended target because while looking at google earth i can see one more isolated hill top structure in that area
pankajs
BRF Oldie

Post by pankajs »

To follow the Baki narrative use ...

https://twitter.com/hashtag/AzadKashmir or
https://twitter.com/search?q=Azad Kashmir
manjgu
BRF Oldie

Post by manjgu »

I meant is there any way we can deter shpiping from coming to karachi ... in a no war no peace situation as it's today
gunnvant
BRFite -Trainee

Post by gunnvant »

manjgu wrote:I meant is there any way we can deter shpiping from coming to karachi ... in a no war no peace situation as it's today
Gurus here can enlighten more. I am a nanha mujahid looking for enlightenment. :D
khan
BRFite

Post by khan »

gunnvant wrote:
manjgu wrote:I meant is there any way we can deter shpiping from coming to karachi ... in a no war no peace situation as it's today
Gurus here can enlighten more. I am a nanha mujahid looking for enlightenment. :D
Shipping is pretty deterred right now. If you go back a few pages there are some tweets with a link to real-time maritime traffic reports and apparently, ships are staying away from Pakistan.

Hard to blame them, if when the balloon goes up, and ships are lost, the lost ship will have many times the value of the delivery contract.

It does not make financial sense to deliver cargo to moth eaten failed state which cannot protect their shipping routes.
schinnas
BRFite

Post by schinnas »

manju wrote:
ramana wrote:
This guy is the Biggest LOSER today.
I am not a big fan of Tatas.. Can u elaborate why u say this..?
What many don't seem to notice is that Tatas took a real hit during Mumbai attack with several loyal employees killed by terrorists. Ratan Tata must have wished for the govt of the day to retaliate but they missed.

While he may bemoan the lost chance for Boeing to sell F16, for which his company is the local partner, a part of him will genuinely rejoice when India takes action against terror attacks from across the border.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

there are at present 4 tankers and 3 cargo ships waiting to get berths in Krachi in a holding area off the port.
a couple of tankers further west going back to gulf along the coast

https://www.vesselfinder.com/

the size of their own merchant marine will be very small...see the last table here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pakistan_ ... ion_(PNSC)

they only have 4 oil tankers each 58000 tons. these they can use independent of any other govt or international shipping co issues. risk premiums for others are probably set by Llyods - another case were UK exercises its "quiet influence" far above its real weight.

you can download a CSV or JSON or XML file of indian merchant marine numbers here https://data.gov.in/catalog/growth-and- ... n-shipping

we have 117 oil tankers india regd qualified for overseas duty and sailing the ships....click on the column headers to get a full description

plus our ability to spread them around and protect our sea lanes means international ships would be lot less worried about coming to our shores.
rkhanna
BRFite

Post by rkhanna »

lol BRF getting screenshoted by PakiTweeter

https://twitter.com/Homesecpak/status/1 ... 7458822144
khan
BRFite

Post by khan »

Singha wrote:there are at present 4 tankers and 3 cargo ships waiting to get berths in Krachi in a holding area off the port.

Compare the number of cargo ships around the port of Karachi (the main and possibly only viable commercial port to the whole country of Pakistan) to the port of Gandhidam (which I hadn’t heard of before).
Last edited by khan on 02 Mar 2019 12:32, edited 1 time in total.
Ardeshir
BRFite

Post by Ardeshir »

rkhanna wrote:lol BRF getting screenshoted by PakiTweeter

That Paki claims to be registered on here.
khan
BRFite

Post by khan »

Ardeshir wrote:
rkhanna wrote:lol BRF getting screenshoted by PakiTweeter

That Paki claims to be registered on here.
Probably one of those people who thinks India should de-escalate because of some sundry reason.
amit
BRF Oldie

Post by amit »

Austin wrote:Vijainder Thakur , ex IAF Jag pilot as debunked Australian analysis claim in his tweet

https://twitter.com/vkthakur/status/1101692716415516672
Hi Guys,

Nice to be back after a long hiatus. I'm surprised veterans here are falling for these kinds of anal-sys and going into a chaddi-twist asana.

Look India has been sending up a string of spy and imagery satellites over the past decade. All of them sudha desi products. Now don't you think the TFTA Goras would love to have a taste of the desi ghee to see if it's better or as good as their butter?
Tell me what's the best way to do that? Create doubts and uncertainty about the hits and force our babus to give a peek at the imagery? Note what the jarnails said, showing will be a political decision onlee. Ask yourselves why?

So chill folks and note that the bombs are an important side note. The main strategic story is about an N-capable strike package comprising 12 aircraft ingressong 80 km into Paki land, dropping their stuff and coming back unchallenged.
Last edited by amit on 02 Mar 2019 12:40, edited 1 time in total.
dhyana
BRFite -Trainee

Post by dhyana »

Khan wrote:
Compare the number of cargo ships around the port of Karachi (the main and possibly only viable commercial port to the whole country of Pakistan) to the port of Gamdhigram (which I hadn’t heard of before).
That's an eye-opening site. Sheesh. And even Chabahar has more shipping activity than the next big thing... Gwadar. In fact numerous ports in India seem to have more shipping traffic than Karachi.
khan
BRFite

Post by khan »

dhyana wrote:Khan wrote:
Compare the number of cargo ships around the port of Karachi (the main and possibly only viable commercial port to the whole country of Pakistan) to the port of Gamdhigram (which I hadn’t heard of before).
That's an eye-opening site. Sheesh. And even Chabahar has more shipping activity than the next big thing... Gwadar. In fact numerous ports in India seem to have more shipping traffic than Karachi.
Yes, there is some kind of informal naval blockade going on. My guess is the only Karachi traffic you are seeing are ships owned by Pakistan or ships whose safety i.e. loss value is underwritten by friendly Gulf countries.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

all the stuff that a healthy functioning country should have
- infant mortality
- merchant marine
- railways

they seem to have allowed to wither in a slow but continuous slide. CPEC was their next play to string china along and milk free money offering "strategic position" but cheen is very smart too.
Kritavarman
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Kritavarman »

https://www.firstpost.com/india/eyewitn ... 82671.html
Rome: Eyewitnesses present at the site of India's 26 February bomb strikes against a Jaish-e-Muhammad base say they saw up to 35 bodies being transported out of the the site by ambulance in the hours after the attack. The dead, they said, included twelve men who were said to have been sleeping in a single temporary shack, and several individuals who had earlier served in Pakistan's military.

The sources, who work for local government authorities, declined to be identified as they are not authorised to speak to media, and saying they feared reprisal. The eyewitnesses were contacted by this correspondent using encrypted communication means.

A building, which according to residents is a madrasa is seen near to the site where Indian military aircrafts released payload in Jaba village, Balakot, Pakistan. "Local authorities reached the site soon after the bombing," one witness said, "but the area had already been cordoned off by then by the army, who did not even allow police to enter. The army also took away mobile phones from the medical staff on the ambulances."

A former Pakistani Inter-Services Intelligence (ISI) officer known locally as "Colonel Salim" was killed (26/11 wala?) in the bombing, sources said, while a "Colonel Zarar Zakri" was injured. Mufti Moeen, a Jaish-e-Muhammad instructor from Peshawar, and improvised explosive device-fabrication expert Usman Ghani were also killed in the bombing.

The largest single cluster of fatalities, the eyewitnesses said, were twelve Jaish-e-Muhammad recruits receiving fidayeen training, who were living in a single temporary earth-and-wood building that was flattened in the bombing.

Conflicting Testimony

Eyewitness testimony from the region has been conflicting, with witnesses variously saying there were no Jaish-e-Muhammad fighters at Jaba top, and others insisting they were present. The testimony has also been divided on whether casualties were inflicted, with several local residents telling television and print journalists that the only victims were some civilians who received minor injuries.

However, the witnesses were only interviewed days after the attack, and several media outlets reported they were not allowed unfettered access to all areas in Jaba, the village targeted in the raid

Independent satellite imagery analysis conducted by Nathan Ruser of the prestigious Australian Strategic Policy Institute concluded that there is "no apparent evidence of more extensive damage and on the face of it does not validate Indian claims regarding the effect of the strikes."

However, Indian Air Force officials have asserted that that synthetic aperture radar — which provides finer spatial resolution than conventional beam-scanning radar — makes that they destroyed four target buildings, below the ridge when the Jaish-e-Muhammad has several buildings, including a seminary.

ANI tweeted out undated images of the said JeM installation at Jaba top. Twitter @ANIANI tweeted out undated images of the said JeM installation at Jaba top. Twitter @ANI
The images, however, has not been made public, making it impossible to independently verify these claims.

Islamabad has said the Indian raid caused little damage, other than to local vegetation.

Indian intelligence sources said two of the names mentioned by the eyewitnesses — Usman and Colonel Salim — had also figured in communications intelligence available.

At an intelligence assessment meeting held on 1 March, the Research and Analysis Wing said its communications intelligence could confirm five dead, but placed estimates of the killed in the region of 20.

R&AW had identified the Jaba top seminary as a target, based on intelligence that personnel earlier stationed by the Jaish-e-Muhammad at villages along the Line of Control had been pulled back to that location, in anticipation of possible Indian Army retaliation after the Pulwama suicide bombing.

“There’s no doubt that bombs hit their targets,” a senior intelligence official said. “Though some of the numbers that have been appearing in the media are hyperbolic, I think the raid served its purpose, which was to make a point about our ability to strike at terrorist safe-havens, rather than extract revenge.”

Past air strikes on terrorist targets have generally had a low deterrent effect, since the personnel at training facilities are generally small in the number and dispersed.

In 1998, the United States fired 75 cruise missiles at Al-Qaeda’s Zhawar Kili in retaliation of the bombing at the American Embassies in Kenya and Tanzania in 1998, but killed only a dozen terrorists or less.
Baikul
BRFite

Post by Baikul »

After a lot of fact finding, diligent analysis and judicial exercise of editorial judgment, we can share the authoritative story of the Indian and (missing) Pakistani pilots.

SDRE pilot lands on the ground, first words out of his mouth -am I in India? He then shouts patriotic slogans. At which point he was beaten by a mob and subsequently taken into captivity.

TFTA pilot lands on the ground, first question out of his mouth - am I in Canada? At which point he was beaten to death by really pissed off locals who'd been years standing in line for Kanedian vijjas.

Moral of the story: Don't cut the line for Kanedan vijas in P'aastan. Even if you're a herrow dressed in a parachute.
rkhanna
BRFite

Post by rkhanna »

Kritavarman wrote:https://www.firstpost.com/india/eyewitn ... 82671.html
Rome: Eyewitnesses present at the site of India's 26 February bomb strikes against a Jaish-e-Muhammad base say they saw up to 35 bodies being transported out of the the site by ambulance in the hours after the attack. The dead, they said, included twelve men who were said to have been sleeping in a single temporary shack, and several individuals who had earlier served in Pakistan's military.

In 1998, the United States fired 75 cruise missiles at Al-Qaeda’s Zhawar Kili in retaliation of the bombing at the American Embassies in Kenya and Tanzania in 1998, but killed only a dozen terrorists or less.

So most likely Balakot Op Death toll would be around 20-50 realistically but another similar number wounded. What about the other 2 locations?
nam
BRF Oldie

Post by nam »

Austin wrote:Looks like the Air Strike Missed the Target due to Terriane Issue in Evidence provided by Australian researcher

Were India’s airstrikes in Pakistan a strategy for public approval?
The dude is basing his conclusion on media who was taken on the joy ride by Pakistan Army. I am sure it would have occurred to PA that they could take the reporters 200 mtrs to the right and show them intact buildings and make India look like fools..

After all they went all the way there.
TandavBrahmand
BRFite -Trainee

Post by TandavBrahmand »

khan wrote:
Singha wrote:there are at present 4 tankers and 3 cargo ships waiting to get berths in Krachi in a holding area off the port.

Compare the number of cargo ships around the port of Karachi (the main and possibly only viable commercial port to the whole country of Pakistan) to the port of Gandhidam (which I hadn’t heard of before).
That is Kandla port (A few kms from the town of Gandhidham, Kutch).
Sid
BRFite

Post by Sid »

Baikul wrote:After a lot of fact finding, diligent analysis and judicial exercise of editorial judgment, we can share the authoritative story of the Indian and (missing) Pakistani pilots.

SDRE pilot lands on the ground, first words out of his mouth -am I in India? He then shouts patriotic slogans. At which point he was beaten by a mob and subsequently taken into captivity.

TFTA pilot lands on the ground, first question out of his mouth - am I in Canada? At which point he was beaten to death by really pissed off locals who'd been years standing in line for Kanedian vijjas.

Moral of the story: Don't cut the line for Kanedan vijas in P'aastan. Even if you're a herrow dressed in a parachute.
Thanks for a succulent summary of Operation Balakot :rotfl: :rotfl:
khan
BRFite

Post by khan »

Singha wrote:all the stuff that a healthy functioning country should have
- infant mortality
- merchant marine
- railways

they seem to have allowed to wither in a slow but continuous slide. CPEC was their next play to string china along and milk free money offering "strategic position" but cheen is very smart too.
Not so smart. China will never get their money back. US will make sure that any World Bank bailout will not go towards repaying China, which means the Chinese loans will be first ones to go into default :mrgreen:
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

Vijainder K Thakur
@vkthakur
35m35 minutes ago
More
An IAF Mirage-2000-V with a @byMBDA MICA air-to-air missile at #AeroIndia2019 . The PAF just found out what the IAF R-73 missile can do with 60-deg off-bore capability. The MICA can engage targets 180-deg off bore!

Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

I request the mods to give a 2 year ban to anyone who posts "open src gora intel analyst" fishing expeditions here. these nobodies can play pocket billiards in their own talk circuits.

anyone who does not have confidence in the govt can surely find other forums.

BRF is not a cure for congenital lack of confidence
habal
BRF Oldie

Post by habal »

the locals of the area would have mobbed any pilot IAF, PAF, USAF who lands in their area without exception unless they feared an imminent threat to their lives, in their sense they are getting back at those who bomb them.
Kakarat
BRF Oldie

Post by Kakarat »

One thing these reporters are not getting is that when a 2000lb bomb hits a structure as small as those in the satellite images you are not going to find any bodies, they would disintegrate. People in any temporary shelters around these structures can also be killed depending on the distance and people will have better luck finding there bodies. after 4 to 6 2000lb bombs the entire structure of the hill top would have changes
habal
BRF Oldie

Post by habal »

when a 90 kg rdx made bodies unrecoverable in pulwama. People can be encouraged to imagine as to then what 900 kg rdx can do to bodies in a confined space like a shelter or warehouse.
Last edited by habal on 02 Mar 2019 13:19, edited 1 time in total.
Krita
BRFite

Post by Krita »

schinnas wrote:
manju wrote:
I am not a big fan of Tatas.. Can u elaborate why u say this..?
What many don't seem to notice is that Tatas took a real hit during Mumbai attack with several loyal employees killed by terrorists. Ratan Tata must have wished for the govt of the day to retaliate but they missed.

While he may bemoan the lost chance for Boeing to sell F16, for which his company is the local partner, a part of him will genuinely rejoice when India takes action against terror attacks from across the border.
Tatas are one of the financiers of liar Wire. We always give Tatas too much credit. I have witnessed pathetic HR policies in Tata motors, TCS, Elxsi and Tata technologies ltd. Hence, have little faith in Tatas.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

Sorry if already posted -
(Pakistan categorically said that no F-16 fighter jets were used and denied that one of its planes had been downed by the Indian Air Force... but..)
US Asks Pakistan For Information On F-16 Citing Potential Misuse Of Jet
The US is seeking more information on the potential misuse of American-made F-16 fighter jets by Pakistan against India in violation of the end-user agreement, the State Department has said.

The Indian Air Force on Thursday displayed parts of an AMRAAM beyond visual range air-to-air missile as evidence to "conclusively" prove that Pakistan deployed US-manufactured F-16 fighter jets during an aerial raid targeting Indian military installations in Kashmir after India's anti-terror operation in Balakot .

Pakistan on Wednesday categorically said that no F-16 fighter jets were used and denied that one of its planes had been downed by the Indian Air Force.

"We are aware of these reports and are seeking more information," a State Department spokesperson told PTI when asked about report that Pakistan has violated end-user agreement with the United States in this week’s border clash with India.

"<snip>
Trikaal
BRFite

Post by Trikaal »

Amber G. wrote:Sorry if already posted -
(Pakistan categorically said that no F-16 fighter jets were used and denied that one of its planes had been downed by the Indian Air Force... but..)
US Asks Pakistan For Information On F-16 Citing Potential Misuse Of Jet
The US is seeking more information on the potential misuse of American-made F-16 fighter jets by Pakistan against India in violation of the end-user agreement, the State Department has said.

The Indian Air Force on Thursday displayed parts of an AMRAAM beyond visual range air-to-air missile as evidence to "conclusively" prove that Pakistan deployed US-manufactured F-16 fighter jets during an aerial raid targeting Indian military installations in Kashmir after India's anti-terror operation in Balakot .

Pakistan on Wednesday categorically said that no F-16 fighter jets were used and denied that one of its planes had been downed by the Indian Air Force.

"We are aware of these reports and are seeking more information," a State Department spokesperson told PTI when asked about report that Pakistan has violated end-user agreement with the United States in this week’s border clash with India.

"<snip>
kangaali mein aata geela :rotfl: Now, Pak face the threat of F-16s getting grounded, which would make them even more vulnerable and impotent to respond to a future raid :rotfl:
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

Krita wrote:
schinnas wrote:

Tatas are one of the financiers of liar Wire. We always give Tatas too much credit. I have witnessed pathetic HR policies in Tata motors, TCS, Elxsi and Tata technologies ltd. Hence, have little faith in Tatas.
they are just another business group like infosys and many others but just like infosys, they are more sanctimonious than most.

Nothing "legendary" about these guys, they are just better adapted to maneuvering their way through pliable govt servants and the slimy bureaucracy, just like a whole host of other Indian businesmen.

they are needlessly being lionized by a fawning, soldout and presstitute media who benefit from them.

they are also in the forefront of the rafale opposition as well as the anti modi liberandus.

radia, anyone??
Prem Kumar
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem Kumar »

shaun wrote:RISAT pairs are long dead!! The newer ones are yet to be lunched or we might have already put them on orbit using foreign vehicles which too unlikely given the sensitive nature of the payloads.
ISRO launched Microsat-R in January 2019. Built by DRDO. Very low earth orbit (274 Km) - purely for high-resolution military purposes. Example of image captured by Microsat below.

https://www.isro.gov.in/update/23-jan-2 ... d-microsat
Raveen
BRFite

Post by Raveen »

khan wrote:
Patni wrote:IMHO we are still in process of properly arming our forces, to a level that is needed, for really shuting down Pakistan terror factories. It took about 7 months in 1971 before we got ready to redraw maps of South Asia.
Prime Minister Modi has had 5 years.
But not the money to fix it