MiG-21 Bison shoots down F-16 in Kashmir

The Military Issues & History Forum is a venue to discuss issues relating to the military aspects of the Indian Armed Forces, whether the past, present or future. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
habal
BRF Oldie

Re: MiG-21 Bison shoots down F-16 in Kashmir

Post by habal »

No allocation was made to deploy Su-30 near LoC before 2017. What does it mean ?
https://www.thehindu.com/news/national/ ... 488483.ece
pankajs
BRF Oldie

Post by pankajs »

habal wrote:No allocation was made to deploy Su-30 near LoC before 2017. What does it mean ?
My knowledge is very limited but to me this looks like using fact to write fiction.
Hence, the jets could not be forward deployed along the LoC, and they were scrambled from behind to intercept the Pakistan Air Force (PAF) jets that tried to bomb Indian military installations, the official said, explaining why the MiG-21 jets were the first responders during the aerial combat a day after the Balakot air strike.
1. Mig-21 are "interceptor" by design i.e. their primary job [ref:wiki]
2. Mig-21 are "short ranged" i.e. they are kept near the border [ref:wiki]
3. If Mig-21 are still part of the fleet for whatever reason i.e. IAF still thinks they are still useful as "interceptor"

Clearly, the Mig-21 was deployed exactly where it was needed and used for exactly the purpose for which they are still retained by the IAF i.e. as first responders.
Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya_V »

Yes, INC had done the, MMRCA fiasco, SU30 fleet at 30% availability, cancelling Denel anti material rifles since it caused too many PA causualties, Buying Baretta SMG for BSF etc., Cant read Hindu cause of some Ad blocker issue. But there are things like Operation Changez Khan in 197 1and operation Focus in 1967, so we need to spread some assets in the Hinterland also. Mig 21 Bison in an excellent asset at interception role and the small existing Hangers are ideal for ORP. Su 30MKI will need large Hangers first to built.

Agree Totally with Pankaj, Mig 21 Bison is good interceptor and can quickly get in the air. There is no point in having short legged mig 21 's in the hinterland.
ArjunPandit
BRF Oldie

Post by ArjunPandit »

habal wrote:No allocation was made to deploy Su-30 near LoC before 2017. What does it mean ?
doesnt it have to do with the pen size, fast climb rate of mig 21 and the long legs of rambha?
aharam
BRFite -Trainee

Post by aharam »

Karan M wrote:
Prasad wrote:So if the Mig-21 had had a RWR, he would have had the chance to evade the incoming amraam and come back unscathed.
This is what you are not getting. Abhi had RWR indication. He knew there were Vipers. He chose to go ahead nonetheless. This is what has rattled the Pakis. The presence of a BARCAP alone was meant to do the job, yet we breached right in, and still shot a target down.
Shaping the battlefield can only create possibilities, and that is what Varthaman seized with his aggression. It is assessed that during his pursuit, his Radar Warning Receiver (RWR) would have been buzzing with warnings. He could have broken off from his attack and headed home and no one would have questioned his decision. By choosing to stay in pursuit, he did what many would not have done: bring down an F-16. It is a once in a lifetime experience of claiming a kill in an actual aerial duel in the current times.
https://www.firstpost.com/india/balakot ... 36391.html

SRai, that is the correct interpretation IMHO as even the Controller noted he took out the most threatening aircraft.
Hi,
It's been a while catching up on this thread. If the above is a reasonable description of asset placement, I believe our good Wing Co. was both smart and bloody brave. Everyone has seen a package delivery and the exit from it is quite well choreographed. If Wing Co. Varthaman saw that, he would have seen a quick knife thrust at the exit as a clean opportunity to hit and disengage before any response for out of box can be mounted - executing it requires a tremendous amount of will, since it is optional. All this happens in seconds overall, so it is quite a bit of instantaneous decision making.

Hats Off!
Aharam
Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya_V »

It's good to have Retired IAF fighter pilots with real world experience to comment. If I am correct you sir have flown the Mig 21 including the Bis variant before Bison upgrade.
Prem Kumar
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem Kumar »

pankajs wrote: 1. Mig-21 are "interceptor" by design i.e. their primary job [ref:wiki]
2. Mig-21 are "short ranged" i.e. they are kept near the border [ref:wiki]
3. If Mig-21 are still part of the fleet for whatever reason i.e. IAF still thinks they are still useful as "interceptor"

Clearly, the Mig-21 was deployed exactly where it was needed and used for exactly the purpose for which they are still retained by the IAF i.e. as first responders.
The greatest swordsman in Japan (Musashi) popularized the 2-sword technique. One is a long sword and another is a shorter sword. Each has its own purpose in attack and defense. Mig-21 and Su-30 MKI are like that. Idiots at Chindu shouldn't comment on IAF doctrine.
vasu raya
BRFite

Post by vasu raya »

Abhinandan should offer condolences to the downed Paki F-16 pilot in the presence of IAF chief Mr.Dhanoa
aharam
BRFite -Trainee

Post by aharam »

Aditya_V wrote:It's good to have Retired IAF fighter pilots with real world experience to comment. If I am correct you sir have flown the Mig 21 including the Bis variant before Bison upgrade.
Hi Aditya,
I was indeed before the Bison upgrade, which was a substantial improvement over the Bis. In the role in which it was used, which was a scramble, the Mig 21 was indeed the correct aircraft choice. It is a one trick pony - interceptor, but that is the trick you need in a scramble. It is a decent bit quicker getting it in the air in an emergency, and without the drop tank, it is agile. With a larger aircraft such as the M2000 or MKI, you tend to rely on their endurance and use them as CAP. With the 21, you can keep them ready on runway and scramble when needed. Doesn't completely obviate the need for a CAP as Pathankot in '65 demonstrates, but you can significantly enhance the teeth of CAP with a quick scramble, which is what they appear to have done here.

Cheers
Aharam
Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya_V »

Thank you Sir for your comments, then it would make sense for the IAf to keep these aircraft in places like Srinagar, Pathankot, Awantipura, Suratgarg etc. While M-2000, Mig-29 and Su-30 MKI can do CAP, these aircraft can be on ORP readiness.

Tom Coopers account makes greater sense now, PAF did not factor these aircraft would be in the air and add to the IAF numbers soo quickly and hence went cold quickly before getting bombs on target on 27-Feb-19.
rkhanna
BRFite

Post by rkhanna »

Aditya_V wrote:
Tom Coopers account makes greater sense now, PAF did not factor these aircraft would be in the air and add to the IAF numbers soo quickly and hence went cold quickly before getting bombs on target on 27-Feb-19.
Hey, Have tried searching for Toms commentary on ACIG but no luck. Any chance of posting the link?
Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya_V »

I have found this twitter link where it was recorded
https://twitter.com/NikhilIndian5/statu ... 0948156418
rkhanna
BRFite

Post by rkhanna »

Aditya_V wrote:I have found this twitter link where it was recorded
Many thanks!
negi
BRF Oldie

Post by negi »

Score remains 1-1 jyada baat karne ka koi auchitya nahi hai . Pakis would have lied even if they had not lost an AC it's a different topic . On our end high time people learn that a stalemate need not be celebrated over just like Kargil and other conflicts where nothing material was won , only recovery of encroached territory.
Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya_V »

Amraam's missing and PAF being forced to miss all targets, JF-17 radar range being small and not able to carry smart munitions are all not important.

F-16 launching multiple Amraam's and still Su30 being in the fight not important? Its defiantly important, only change required is in ROE.
shaun
BRFite

Post by shaun »

rkhanna wrote:
Aditya_V wrote:I have found this twitter link where it was recorded
Many thanks!
here is the link

http://www.f-16.net/forum/viewtopic.php ... ab#p413924
Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya_V »

nam wrote:Another link when WC Abhi was been taken away from the crowd. Not linking it here.

Direct link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETkxbP9aqZo

Constant words about doosra bhanda..

Warning: Distressing scenes, WC Abhi is injured. Watch with caution.
Distressing link but see at around 2 Minute about Doosra Banda and clear instructions 1:28 "Abhi Isko Zinda Pakadke rakna", Implying dont finish him off like the Other guy
Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya_V »

jamwal wrote:Many sources claim that F-16 hurtles straight down like a lawn dart. 1st plane crash looks a lot like it's described.

Edit:

If Mig-21 wreckage looked like it was shown in pictures release by, then the plane shot down first can't be Mig-21 for sure. 1st crash is definitely F-16 and 2nd Mig-21. In 2nd video, the shape is looks more that of a F-16, not Mig-21.

Both videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ta9vyYh ... e=youtu.be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... TmFjbuAo9g
The 2nd video is amrked as private- is anyone able to access the vidoes shot from J&K Thanamandi or POk Charhoi videos?
Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya_V »

pralay wrote:IMP IMP another video from Mirpur in this video
in opening frame it shows the smoke-trail of F16 shot down(flying direction from bottom of screen towards top ),
at 1:16.556 seconds you can see the Mig21 going down.
Also we can clearly hear an explosion and people saying "dusra dhamaka hua" and we can see mig21 going down.
The directions are now quiet clear and there are already videos of incident from 4 directions.
This is another important video which has been made private, IF anyone had downloaded these can they share, since I want to view these raw vidoes.
Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya_V »

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/ind ... 944347.cms

Looks Like IAF chief and Wing Commander flew a sortie from Pathankot Base, given its location close to IB at Shakargarh Bulge and being under attack from PAF 65,71 and by SSG in 65 and non state actors in 2016- I think its a statement to PAF that next time something like 27 Feb 19, there will no restriction on release on IAF BVR missiles on all PAF aircraft including Mirages and JF-17
Last edited by Aditya_V on 02 Sep 2019 16:50, edited 1 time in total.
MeshaVishwas
BRFite

Post by MeshaVishwas »

The Chief is in the front, what an honour for W/C Abhinandan!
Continues from where the NDTV video cuts off:
chola
BRF Oldie

Post by chola »

^^^ Proud as a Tamil :)
khan
BRFite

Post by khan »

Aditya_V wrote:Thank you Sir for your comments, then it would make sense for the IAf to keep these aircraft in places like Srinagar, Pathankot, Awantipura, Suratgarg etc. While M-2000, Mig-29 and Su-30 MKI can do CAP, these aircraft can be on ORP readiness.

Squadron Leader Minty Agarwal, who ordered the MiG-21 scramble, saved a lot of lives & deserves her medal. Wing Co Abhnandan shooting down that F-16 was icing on the cake.
fanne
BRF Oldie

Post by fanne »

Mig 21 was actually born for this role (i.e. interceptor - not a fighter, not a bomber, not a multi-role, though we have made one in the Bison). Presented with a perfect opportunity, it took off fast, accelerated to M1-M2, intercepted a superior multi-role F-16 (albeit perhaps configured as bomber or controller). The famous combo of R-73 with helmet mounted sighting (talked since 1980s, now almost all planes have it, but pioneered by the Russians) worked as it should and we got a F-16. I would say, if we have used a R-77 that day, chances of that failing was higher than R-73 (No RWR warning for F-16, no need to really point the aircraft almost at the enemy plane, no probability of jamming....)
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

From Pakistan Today!!!!!!!

‘Vir Chakra’ Abhinandan returns to MiG21 cockpit

As Indian Air Chief Birender Singh Dhanoa welcomed Abhinandan, he said: “Both of us have two things in common. First, both have ejected and second, both of us have fought Pakistanis. I fought in Kargil, he fought after Balakot. Third, I’ve flown with his father.”

Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Post by Mort Walker »

I wish the Mig-21 was replaced with the LCA Tejas a long time back.
aharam
BRFite -Trainee

Post by aharam »

Aditya_V wrote:
jamwal wrote:Many sources claim that F-16 hurtles straight down like a lawn dart. 1st plane crash looks a lot like it's described.

Edit:

If Mig-21 wreckage looked like it was shown in pictures release by, then the plane shot down first can't be Mig-21 for sure. 1st crash is definitely F-16 and 2nd Mig-21. In 2nd video, the shape is looks more that of a F-16, not Mig-21.

Both videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ta9vyYh ... e=youtu.be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... TmFjbuAo9g
The 2nd video is amrked as private- is anyone able to access the vidoes shot from J&K Thanamandi or POk Charhoi videos?
Seconding this. Is there a version of the second video I can see - even on a PM. Would be rather useful. The first video seems to indicate two distinct contrails separated in time and space - if this was a low altitude fight, then likely smoke mixed with contrail. The second video may have other angles that are more indicative. From the video does someone have a compass orientation, so ingress/egress may be evaluated?

My apologies in advance if this has been asked and answered before. Link would be much appreciated.

Cheers
Aharam
manjgu
BRF Oldie

Post by manjgu »

i had argued a few days after feb 27... in one of the pics of downed a/c, being carted away there is a white stripe visible on the body of the wreckage. now Paki flag has green/white. Indian flag has white in the middle. if there is a white stripe and then grey color it can only mean a PAF wreckage. unfortunately, i dont have that pic now. If someone can dig out old still pics of the wreckage. its v visible atleast to my eye.
Khalsa
BRFite

Post by Khalsa »

manjgu wrote:i had argued a few days after feb 27... in one of the pics of downed a/c, being carted away there is a white stripe visible on the body of the wreckage. now Paki flag has green/white. Indian flag has white in the middle. if there is a white stripe and then grey color it can only mean a PAF wreckage. unfortunately, i dont have that pic now. If someone can dig out old still pics of the wreckage. its v visible atleast to my eye.
Google the hell for it.
Vishnu also has a possible grey wreckage on his twitter feed ... check the month of April or March.
Khalsa
BRFite

Post by Khalsa »

chola wrote:^^^ Proud as a Tamil :)
Sir (Salutes a billion) !!
Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya_V »

Important question from Sameer Joshi, this is a lot of expensive PGM,s used on 27 Feb 19. If the aim was to miss cheaperMk 82 and MK 83 would have been used. No wonder they announced Wing Commanders return and dragged it for 3 days. They desperately wanted escalation with a media victory

https://twitter.com/joe_sameer/status/1 ... 99009?s=20
manjgu
BRF Oldie

Post by manjgu »

i dont think any side wanted escalation for varying reasons...they dragged it for 3 days for media victory and shoring up the awams morale.
Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya_V »

If Baba is correct the Targets at Muzaffarabad and Chokoti were Paki Ly80 and Paki Army site taken out. Pakis cut internet in POK 25 Feb. This makes interesting reading, probably why Hassan Siddiqui made a dieing declaration from CMH Rawalpindi that they came to 300 to 350 IA personal. That's why Pakis used 11 PGMs on 27 Feb . They were hit badly on 26 Feb and wanted revenge. Which again shows the stupidity of our ROE on that day.
abhik
BRF Oldie

Post by abhik »

BTW (sorry if I missed if it was discussed previously), did we fire any BVR at the Paki fighters and if not why - if we managed to shoot WVR AAm then why not BVRs?
Rishi
Forum Moderator

Post by Rishi »

Another thing not clear is if either side fired SAMs at Nowshera?
Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya_V »

abhik wrote:BTW (sorry if I missed if it was discussed previously), did we fire any BVR at the Paki fighters and if not why - if we managed to shoot WVR AAm then why not BVRs?
We did not fire BVR that day, the only reason given is clarity regarding ROE, remember the action was over in 5-10 mins
Manish_Sharma
BRF Oldie

Post by Manish_Sharma »

https://twitter.com/bababanaras/status/ ... 54016?s=20
Thread
Conversation
अर्ध-सन्यासी (Half Hermit)
@bababanaras
Everyone talks about the Balakot air strike but 2 more places were targeted by
@IAF_MCC
same day in #Chakothi and #Muzaffarabad.
What were the targets?
Why both armies are not talking about those strikes?

Follow the threads.

Pakistan had credible intelligence that India was about to do airstrikes. But they did not know where the strike would take place? What will be the target?

Pakistan had planned 2 conduct a missile strike on a military installation of Indian Army in J&K,In case of airstrikes by IAF. Equipments were installed in a non military place #PanjalMastanNationalPark near Chakothi,Bt we already knew about it.We made a little change in our plan

4 Sudarshan LGBs dropped by 2 Mirage 2000 and The enemy's unholy intentions were buried in his national park. Chakothi air strike was first success during #OperationBandar

During the #OperationBandar Pakistani Air Defence Systems were biggest challange for IAF. The Airforce changed its strategy three days before the operation, in view of the potential threat. The order of targets changed again. It was decided to take a different route.

Pakistan deployed LY-80/HQ-16 ADS from 20 kilomitar northeast Peer Chanasi area near Muzaffarabad in no man zone at a strartegically important position of Pak Army.4 spice 2000 bomb dropped by 2 IAF's Mirage 2000 jets on installation. Target was completely destroyed.

Pakistani army does not talk about these attacks because if they accept it, they will not be able to show their faces to the public of Pakistan. We do not highlight these incidents much because it is not right to say without declaring a war that we attacked military installations
sum
BRF Oldie

Post by sum »

^^ Had posted the same in the other thread.

If the Sudarshan LGB was closed as a TD due to stability issues and was never even mated with M-2000( only Jags as Thakur-ji had mentioned), is the above info accurate?
abhik
BRF Oldie

Post by abhik »

It's all psyops, no need to take babaji very seriously onlee. And AFAIK no official sources have mentioned the two other strike locations - so let's not turn rumour to truth?
manjgu
BRF Oldie

Post by manjgu »

babaji mixes fact and fiction with intentional grammatical errors ... gets the pakis in a tizzy..awesome stuff. let me see if i can get a certain individual to talk about the other 2 strikes. will take some time though...