Small Armaments & Infantry Equipment - News & Discussion

The Military Issues & History Forum is a venue to discuss issues relating to the military aspects of the Indian Armed Forces, whether the past, present or future. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Thakur_B
BRF Oldie

Re: Small Armaments & Infantry Equipment - News & Discussion

Post by Thakur_B »

https://mobile.twitter.com/Viv_Krishnan ... 5625698304

SSS Defence CEO hints that they are working on AR15 pattern rifle as well.
VinodTK
BRF Oldie

Post by VinodTK »

Thakur_B wrote:https://mobile.twitter.com/Viv_Krishnan ... 5625698304

SSS Defence CEO hints that they are working on AR15 pattern rifle as well.
Waste of money and resources, the current approach to procure small arms by the armed forces is mind boggling, if they make an AR15 platform based rifile who is going to buy it? Looks like armed forces and para military are going to have AK203!!
Thakur_B
BRF Oldie

Post by Thakur_B »

OFB product brochure.
srai
BRF Oldie

Post by srai »

^^^
Seems to cover all the IA requirements from assault rifles (in 2 calibers), urban close quarters and CI.

LMG should have a drum magazine with much higher ammo capacity than 30.
Manish_P
BRF Oldie

Post by Manish_P »

I think Box magazines are better suited for the LMG role. World over they are preferred over drums.
Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya_V »

LMG with 5.56*45 ammo, unless this is squad level weapons to common ammunition with a squad with 5.56*45 ammo it is not very useful.

What are the scenarios in which 5.56*45 ammo is useful anyways. Yes soldiers can carry Ammo than 7.62*51 mm nato but

1) In close combat Coin operations clearly inferior to Russian AK series rifles with 7.62*39 Round

2) In more open areas such as Rajasthan Deserts or the High Altitude LOC and LAC areas where there is little cover to hide and relatively long engagement ranges the 7.62*51 seems better- although soldiers in High altitude areas could appreciate lugging around lighter rifles with lighter ammo which the 5.56*45 offers.

So where does the IA really need the 5.56*45 round assault rifles and LMG's, the plains of Jammu and Punjab border, BD border. should the IA standardize on 3 calibers and then specialized calibers for Long range snipers, anti material rifles .50 caliber BMP, Tank, ?

Should IA standardize

1) 9mm for Pistols and SMG or 5.56*30 have a place
2) 7.62*51MM Assault rifles with LMG 's with 7.62*51 mm common ammo- we should discard Russian 7.62*54 mm from BMP, T-72 Coaxial guns, Druganov Semi Automatic sniper rifles etc. Just adds to our logistic tail
3) 7.62*39 AK series rifles for COin and close combat border areas
4) 12.7*108mm and 14.5*114mm for Anti material rifles, Tank Machine guns, Machine guns, Vehicle mounted Machine guns etc.
5) Why do special forces and other units with Tavor etc. need the 5.56*45 mm ammo.

Why do we need the 5.56*45 mm ammo and related guns., if it sunk cost? then cant we phase them out over time?
Anujan
Forum Moderator

Post by Anujan »

https://theprint.in/defence/army-to-equ ... es/621984/

Army to equip all infantry battalions, not just frontline troops, with US Sig Sauer rifles

According to the plan, at least two companies (about 100 soldiers each) in all the infantry battalions are being given the Sig 716 — irrespective of whether they are in the field or at peace stations.
mody
BRFite

Post by mody »

Anujan wrote:https://theprint.in/defence/army-to-equ ... es/621984/

Army to equip all infantry battalions, not just frontline troops, with US Sig Sauer rifles

According to the plan, at least two companies (about 100 soldiers each) in all the infantry battalions are being given the Sig 716 — irrespective of whether they are in the field or at peace stations.
The Sig 716i is to go to soldiers in all 400 infantry battalions, but not to all the soldiers.
Does this mean that soldiers in the same infantry battalion may carry different guns in the future? Some equipped with Sig 716i and others with Ak-203? Puzzling!!
Thakur_B
BRF Oldie

Post by Thakur_B »

Atleast they could have standardised on ammo by choosing AK308.
Pratyush
BRF Oldie

Post by Pratyush »

WTF, ammunition resupply is not an issue or a consideration for the army.

Training is going to be an absolute nightmare.

What happens if one of the jawans has to be issued a new rifle, he is a sig trained guy and only ak is available. Or he is an ak guy and only sig is available.

How is the army expecting to maintain proficiency in both the weapons for all the men.

Or they are so confident that in the heat and stress of the battlefield the men will remember which weapon is which and how it is to be operated.
AkshaySG
BRFite

Post by AkshaySG »

This makes little sense... But that's par for the course as far as our Small Arms program is concerned.

Either keep the Sig for special border troops/RR battalions and hurry up with AK 203 OR just do away with the AK-203 deal and order few more tranches of Sig for infantry while the reserves and CRPF etc can be given some indigenous product.

Just gonna make a mess of training and ammo reserves

And please can someone get some sights, scopes and other attachments for those Sigs.... We'll spend 100 mil each on a single drone but some modern scopes for each troop seem too much to ask.
Thakur_B
BRF Oldie

Post by Thakur_B »

A few years back there used to be regular Rona Dhona on BRF for IA's requirements of FOM 1800 NVG devices for infantry while BEL was capable of producing on 1400 FOM devices. Now domestic suppliers like MKU and TONBO are manufacturing devices with 2100 FOM in single dual and quad configuration and not a squeak of RFI/RFP from IA.
Prem Kumar
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem Kumar »

IA is waiting for Gaganyaan mission. If our astronauts are able to make out objects in the pitch-darkness of outer space, then IA will place a token order of 100, while asking for 83 improvements to be made in MK1a by Tonbo, so that they can place an order for 100 more.
Thakur_B
BRF Oldie

Post by Thakur_B »

SSS defence dragunov upgrade seen with Para SF. Confirmed by vivek krishnan of sss defence.
Cyrano
BRF Oldie

Post by Cyrano »

The electronic sights like on the closest rifle in the pic above run on battery power? If so isn't charging them an additional constraint when troops are deployed out there, esp in high altitudes where batteries work poorly due to low temp? Iron sights/telescopic sights have no such problem, right?
Thanks !
Thakur_B
BRF Oldie

Post by Thakur_B »

AA/AAA batteries last days on a holographic sight. No one is going to keep sight on all the time.
VinodTK
BRF Oldie

Post by VinodTK »

Indian Army Soldier Explaining About Sig Sauer 716 Assault Rifle
Vivek K
BRF Oldie

Post by Vivek K »

Prem Kumar wrote:IA is waiting for Gaganyaan mission. If our astronauts are able to make out objects in the pitch-darkness of outer space, then IA will place a token order of 100, while asking for 83 improvements to be made in MK1a by Tonbo, so that they can place an order for 100 more.
:rotfl: Well said.
AkshaySG
BRFite

Post by AkshaySG »

VinodTK wrote:
Idk what it is about the Sig 716 but without any scopes/accessories the rifle just looks naked or incomplete.

I mean a good scope shouldn't be a luxury item especially when we're talking about our Frontline troops in Northern Command
VinodTK
BRF Oldie

Post by VinodTK »

AkshaySG wrote:
VinodTK wrote:
Idk what it is about the Sig 716 but without any scopes/accessories the rifle just looks naked or incomplete.

I mean a good scope shouldn't be a luxury item especially when we're talking about our Frontline troops in Northern Command
It is a smooth operating weapon with very LOW FAILURE / JAMMING problems, it is important for a Jawan to know that their primary weapon will not jam, has long range, and out gun the enemy.
AkshaySG
BRFite

Post by AkshaySG »

VinodTK wrote:
It is a smooth operating weapon with very LOW FAILURE / JAMMING problems, it is important for a Jawan to know that their primary weapon will not jam, has long range, and out gun the enemy.
What does that have to do with not providing scopes?

Soldiers should be trained for all possibilities and they may not always be in a situation where sights are necessary but that doesn't mean they shouldn't have them

Look at the pictures of deployed US, British, French forces or when they train with us, Rarely ever is the M4/M16 etc without sights

I mean at least for photo ops and interviews they should use accessories, Just makes the rifle look much better and the overall system more deadly, and is good way to strike some fear into Jihadi hearts
Anujan
Forum Moderator

Post by Anujan »

I need some gyaan about the Sig

Most armies seem to use 7.62x51mm for designated marksmen and a smaller caliber like 7.62x39 for regular infantry. Is this mostly due to weight and logistics (heavier bullets to move around)?

What is our plan? To equip everyone with 7.62x51mm ?
Thakur_B
BRF Oldie

Post by Thakur_B »

Anujan wrote: What is our plan? To equip everyone with 7.62x51mm ?
That is assuming IA and MoD had a plan to begin with.

Rifle procurement requirements projected: 3.6 lac with 20% fast track and 80% domestic manufacturing. The numbers would have eventually hit 8 lac for support troops, reserves, IN, ICG and IAF. Nearly 40% of the original 3.6 Lac quantity has been met with SiG 716i. Whatever remaining quantity will be met by 6.7 lac AK203, supposedly, if the deal ever happens, which I believe is unlikely.

Carbine projection: 4.6 lac with 20% fast track and 80% domestic manufacturing. The numbers would have eventually hit 6 lac.

This information has been interpreted through various articles. There is no definitive source on what MoD and IA want, where do these numbers come from and what is the breakup of the requirements.
Pratyush
BRF Oldie

Post by Pratyush »

I can accept and understand that one round to rule them all doesn't exist at the moment. But I cannot understand that the requirements are so different that the Indian army plans to equip half of the troops with 7.62 intermediate and the other half with 7.62 full power NATO. Designated marksman with 7.62 full power eastern again.

If the requirements are so different that a common round cannot meet them. Then least the Indian army can do is to standardise on type of firearm's operation pattern and have it ported to different calibres. That way atleast training can be simplified. Even If logistics cannot be.

Now how will it work in practice

1) start by designing a 5.56 mm family standard weapon.
2) use the same design and scale it up to 7.62 NATO.
3) downscale to 7.62 intermediate eastern.

The location of trigger mechanism, the magazine release, the charging handle, the sight picture, will all be common. This approach has been used by all major firearms designers arround the world.

A blindfolded man trained on one firearm can pick up the other one and should be able operate the othe 2 weapons without any problem.

If my approach has been understood by people. Then they have understood that I am asking for INSAS in 7.62 NATO and intermediate eastern. As it already exists in 7.62 NATO.
VinodTK
BRF Oldie

Post by VinodTK »

AkshaySG wrote: What does that have to do with not providing scopes?

Soldiers should be trained for all possibilities and they may not always be in a situation where sights are necessary but that doesn't mean they shouldn't have them

Look at the pictures of deployed US, British, French forces or when they train with us, Rarely ever is the M4/M16 etc without sights
I was talking about the guns capability, compared what the Jawan's have today.
As for add-on's like scopes and other things IA provides them on need bases because of cost,
if IA had the resources of US, UK, and France I am sure they would have all the needed extra add-on's.

Even the purchase of the gun is being done as piece meal basis, as emergency acquisition.
AkshaySG
BRFite

Post by AkshaySG »

VinodTK wrote:
if IA had the resources of US, UK, and France I am sure they would have all the needed extra add-on's.
That is simply not true ... We have more than enough money to provide all manner of add ons and specialized products , The only problem is that we go after big shiny multi billion $ phoren deals rather than the basic necessities of an infantryman

It cost us 1400 crores to get 144,000 rifles which is around 200 million$ even if you add all kinds of scopes and add ons and the cost doubles cost it comes out to be ~400 million which is not even half the money IA spent on getting a paltry 6 Apaches because it got mad and demanded their own after IAF got theirs .There's several other multi billion dollar foreign purchases that just got signed or are being signed

And yet when it comes to the most used , the most important , the most basic item of a combat force we penny pinch and make sacrifices looking for discounts and deals .The Ak-203 deal shows the same failings

Nothing short of an embarrassment that in 2021 while we're flying the best jets , have nuclear submarines and the 3rd biggest defense budget that a majority of infantry still uses outdated INSAS rifles and there is a need to "ration" accessories due to cost

Same with things like high quality NVG or ballistic helmets or MMGs or winter clothing which only get ordered in "emergency" or piecemeal amounts
It takes a Doklam,Galwan or Uri to jolt them into action and scramble for equipment
Kakkaji
BRF Oldie

Post by Kakkaji »

DRDO develops lightweight bullet-proof jacket for requirements of Army
The DRDO has developed a lightweight bullet-proof jacket that weighs nine kg and meets the qualitative requirements of the Indian Army, the defence ministry said on Thursday.

Kanpur-based Defence Materials and Stores Research and Development Establishment (DMSRDE), which is one of the laboratories of the government-run Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO), has developed this jacket, a ministry statement said.

"The front hard armour panel bullet proof jacket was tested at Terminal Ballistics Research Lab in Chandigarh and it met relevant standards of the BIS (Bureau of Indian Standards)," the statement said.

The front hard armour panel technology used for this new jacket reduces the weight of medium sized bullet proof jacket from 10.4 kg to nine kg, the ministry's statement said.
Akshay Kapoor
Forum Moderator

Post by Akshay Kapoor »

A concerned BRF member connected me offline and asked 'Sir, is our MMG also not fit for purpose'' ?

I replied "Hain ? Yaar thats one of the only 02 reliable weapons''. He responds ''But sir, you wrote that our MMG is not good on BRF''. I said ''Partner, I have come on BRF only a couple of times in last few years and I have said nothing about MMG''. But he insisted I had written something about MMGs in this thread. Intrigued I thought this is mystery is worthy of Byomkesh Bakshi so I came and had a look.

And solved the mystery. Its not me but AkshaySG who has mentioned MMG in his post. AkshaySG ji, allow me to inform you (from experience, study and use) that the MMG along with the trusty Carl Gustav are the 2 weapons that are reliable and effective in an Inf Bn (pre Sig Sauer and Negev LMG). Its an excellent and versatile Coy support wpn. 08 held in a Inf bn. Of course not effective against bunkers and sangars but no MG is. MMG's deployment is an art and science which needs lots of training and experience. Lot of thinking goes into it. Many considerations of dead ground, arcs of fire etc come into it. Lots of interesting stories as well.

So rest assured no issues there. One issue that is unglamorous but very imp - we must start looking at making up shortage of B vehicles. Severe shortage of B vehicles (A vehicles = combat vehicles like tanks and BMPs and B vehicles = Shaktiman trucks in our time and Stallions now). Movement during mobilisation will become very difficult. Outsourcing to civilian vehs will be expensive, prone to sabotage and INT leaks (about which unit is moving where), drivers may run away under fire etc.

B vehicle shortage can be made up by just ordering more stallions etc from Ashok Leyland directly. Currently Vehicle Factory Jabalpur orders from AL, adds own insignia of VFJ and sells to MOD at 18-25% mark up. Vidur sir gave me the details. Buying directly from AL and Tatas would be great.
Manish_P
BRF Oldie

Post by Manish_P »

Akshay Kapoor wrote:One issue that is unglamorous but very imp - we must start looking at making up shortage of B vehicles. Severe shortage of B vehicles (A vehicles = combat vehicles like tanks and BMPs and B vehicles = Shaktiman trucks in our time and Stallions now). Movement during mobilisation will become very difficult. Outsourcing to civilian vehs will be expensive, prone to sabotage and INT leaks (about which unit is moving where), drivers may run away under fire etc.

B vehicle shortage can be made up by just ordering more stallions etc from Ashok Leyland directly. Currently Vehicle Factory Jabalpur orders from AL, adds own insignia of VFJ and sells to MOD at 18-25% mark up. Vidur sir gave me the details. Buying directly from AL and Tatas would be great.
Oh man :-?. Akshay sir, this type of product is not one where we have to depend on imports or on huge R&D. Several private manufacturers make these products in india.. several of them successfully export them abroad too. So what is the source of this shortage problem... how did this come to become a problem in the first place?
Akshay Kapoor
Forum Moderator

Post by Akshay Kapoor »

Where is the question of import or even R&D sir. We should just buy off the shelf from AL and Tata and save 18%-25% instead of buying SAME PRODUCT via VFJ. Please read again. Thats why I stay away from this forum. People don't read carefully or bother to educate themselves.

Why is there a shortage ? Simple - funds. We do not prioritise this item.

Solution - Buy directly from AL. Keep VFJ out of loop. You save 18-25%. Ergo you can buy 18-25% more. Shortage is halved.
Manish_P
BRF Oldie

Post by Manish_P »

Akshay Kapoor wrote:...

Why is there a shortage ? Simple - funds. We do not prioritise this item.

Understood. I just wanted to know if the root cause of this particular issue was funds, holdup at GOI/MOD level, change in requirements/policy, issue with supply side (Covid), .. or any permutation thereof. I think I am clear now. Thanks.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Anujan wrote:I need some gyaan about the Sig

Most armies seem to use 7.62x51mm for designated marksmen and a smaller caliber like 7.62x39 for regular infantry. Is this mostly due to weight and logistics (heavier bullets to move around)?

What is our plan? To equip everyone with 7.62x51mm ?
Yes. Moving away from 7.62x51mm was an oversight. Being rectified now.
7.62x39 is Soviet Warsaw pact caliber.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Akshay Kapoor wrote:.... Thats why I stay away from this forum. People don't read carefully or bother to educate themselves.

Since you requested long back you cant stand being a moderator here and it was I who wanted you around in case you change your mind, I have deactivated your account so you don't have to suffer.
Bye. And good luck.
Ramana
nachiket
Forum Moderator

Post by nachiket »

ramana wrote: Yes. Moving away from 7.62x51mm was an oversight. Being rectified now.
7.62x39 is Soviet Warsaw pact caliber.
But we weren't the only ones who moved away from it. Nearly every army using that caliber changed over as well, despite the popularity of the FN-FAL. One of the few who didn't are the Pakis who still have their G3's. Although like us a lot of their troops use AK variants as well.
Vips
BRF Oldie

Post by Vips »

Indian security agencies to get AK-103 assault rifles; To help in dealing with Naxal and North East insurgency.

Three state governments are set to ink agreement for the procurement of the Russian Kalashnikov AK-103 assault rifles. “The proposals for the Ak-103 assault rifles are submitted, commercial talks are over and contracts are expected to be signed very soon with three State governments including Mizoram, Chhattisgarh and Maharashtra. These assault rifles are being procured for the police and paramilitary forces in these states,” a source familiar with the discussions confirmed to Financial Express Online.

According to the source quoted above, “Though the numbers being procured are not big, more and more states are expected to conclude discussion in the next few months. The deals for these assault rifles for the three states are expected to be firmed up in a month’s time as there is urgency for these rifles for the Para military forces.”

More about AK-103

The AK-103 is a more modern variant of the world famous Russian assault rifle. The Russian rifle is expected to meet the requirement for several thousands of the assault rifles for the State forces. This version of AK-103 is already in use in Indonesia and Venezuela.

The Kalashnikov AK-101, AK-102, AK-103 and AK-104 rifles are the new and modern versions of the famous Kalashnikov AK-47 assault rifle. This was developed for firing 5.56mm and 7.62mm cartridges.

More than 7, 50,000 units of AK-103 assault rifles, the third generation of AK-47, are expected to be produced at the Ordnance Factory Board (OFB) facility which is located in UP. The facility was set up in 2010, and once the production starts under joint venture between Russia’s Kalashnikov Concern and OFB – this will be the biggest ever.

As has been reported earlier, these rifles when manufactured in India will be for the security forces and after completing the orders in India can be exported to friendly nations.

The Indian government is keen that the assault rifle should have 100 per cent local content.
Thakur_B
BRF Oldie

Post by Thakur_B »

The new AK V 521 carbine/rifle from Kalashnikov developed as a prototype for AK500 family.
Has upper/lower configuration with monolithic upper rather than the dust cover configuration of standard AK. Disassembly similar to AR 15 rather than typical AK.

Foregoes AK style selector for more ergonomic Ar-15 style selector. Features Galil and FnFnc type dust cover for bolt rather than selector doubling up as dust cover for exposed bolt.

Available in 5.45x39, 5.56x45 and 7.62x39

Currently in prototype stage but work going on rapidly.
Thakur_B
BRF Oldie

Post by Thakur_B »

https://www.tribuneindia.com/news/natio ... ops-253773

IA to procure 50,000 Bullet proof jackets., In a mix of NIJ level III+ (8KG) and Level IV (10KG).

This seems to be a relatively small procurement to test the waters with newer standards for BPJ as the previous order for 1.86 Lac BPJ to SMPP is still under delivery.

Edit: Level III+ instead of level III
Last edited by Thakur_B on 21 May 2021 12:56, edited 1 time in total.
Thakur_B
BRF Oldie

Post by Thakur_B »

Fn launches new Evolys LMG in 5.56 and 7.62 as Fn Minimi successor. They have managed to shave off 2.5 KGs off 5.56 Minimi.

https://www.janes.com/defence-news/news ... ve-new-lmg
Thakur_B
BRF Oldie

Post by Thakur_B »

Garud with OSV 96 semi auto anti material rifle.
Prem Kumar
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem Kumar »

Thakur_B wrote:https://www.tribuneindia.com/news/natio ... ops-253773

IA to procure 50,000 Bullet proof jackets., In a mix of NIJ level III (8KG) and Level IV (10KG).

This seems to be a relatively small procurement to test the waters with newer standards for BPJ as the previous order for 1.86 Lac BPJ to SMPP is still under delivery.
What's the weight of the SMPP jackets? Per news reports, they offered protection at NIJ Level III+ (capable of stopping AK-47 steel core rounds)