CDS Appointment & Command Restructuring: News & Discussions

The Military Issues & History Forum is a venue to discuss issues relating to the military aspects of the Indian Armed Forces, whether the past, present or future. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Re: CDS Appointment & Command Restructuring: News & Discussions

Post by Rakesh »

ramana wrote:
JTull wrote:Is there any word if he's going to take charge as Lt Gen and then get promoted to Gen, or other way? Interesting semantics as I've never heard of anyone getting promoted when not on active duty.
I think ACM PC Lal had retired and was brought back as chief.

In British Army retired generals were brought back.

JFK appointed Gen Maxwell Tyler as JCS after he retired.
So there are precedents in the world.
Also General Peter Schoomaker of the US Army.
vsunder
BRFite

Post by vsunder »

@Ramana: P.C. Lal had his services terminated because of differences with that goat V. K. Krishna Menon. Then at the outbreak of the 1962 war, he was brought back/reinstated. Then from 1966 to 1969 he was MD, HAL. In 1969, he took over as 7th Air chief through 1971 and retired finally in 1973. So like two breaks in service. Became CMD Indian Airlines at retirement and then CMD Air India.

Did you get and see my notes on Hohmann Transfer? The only thing I did not work out in my notes is the launch velocity for a space probe to Mars. That too is is very simple, but I was explaining to kids, so notes were written with that view. I loved the expression on one kids face, that he could actually understand and compute so many things for a mission to other planets not just Mars. One of these days I will update those notes with the velocity at launch calculation. Also there are new things I have written up for Number Theory notes other than those 45 typed pages I sent you about 6 months ago. That Number theory stuff is all cutting edge, but I exposed it in my own way, how I see the subject.
Last edited by vsunder on 30 Sep 2022 01:38, edited 1 time in total.
ks_sachin
BRF Oldie

Post by ks_sachin »

JTull wrote:36 to 48 rounds per week? I don't think you've ever played or watched golf.

It is usual to take 4hrs per round. There aren't enough hours in the week!
Sorry meant holes!!
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Thanks Vsunder!!!
Folks, also note another retired warrior brought back to serve the nation.
ACM RK Bahaduria (retd) is appointed to head the UP Defence Corridor.
This will help create the eco-system for AMCA, etc.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

I think theaterization will happen soon.
GOI has shown the criteria for CDS includes command of large formations like Eastern Command.

The other two services can gain such experience only with theaterization.

Also they need to develop expertise on opposing forces like China, Pakistan etc.
For example the China Study Group so far has mostly Army officers.

Need other services to develop expertise.
Also as country needs all hands on deck.
putnanja
BRF Oldie

Post by putnanja »

Gen Anil Chauhan takes charge as India's new CDS
Gen Anil Chauhan on Friday became India's new Chief of Defence Staff with a mandate to implement the ambitious theaterisation plan that seeks to ensure tri-services synergy and prepare the military for future security challenges. Gen Chauhan, a former Eastern Army Commander, took charge as the country's senior-most military commander over nine months after first Chief of Defence Staff (CDS) Gen Bipin Rawat died in a helicopter crash in Tamil Nadu.

"I will try to fulfil expectations of the three services," Gen Chauhan said.
putnanja
BRF Oldie

Post by putnanja »

https://twitter.com/SpokespersonMoD/sta ... 64/photo/1

Gen Anil Chauhan with #CAS Air Chief Marshal VR Chaudhari, #COAS Gen Manoj Pande, #VCNS Vice Admiral SN Ghormade & Chief of Integrated Defence Staff to the Chairman, Chiefs of Staff Committee (CISC) Air Marshal BR Krishna. (2/2)

Dilbu
BRF Oldie

Post by Dilbu »

New CDS General Anil Chauhan takes over today, theaterisation drive in focus
Chauhan is 61. The new rules announced in June laid down that the service of CDS can be extended to 65 years of age. If that be the case, Chauhan will work with six different service chiefs to power the theaterisation drive. The drive slowed down after Rawat’s death on December 8, 2021, and the government will now expect Chauhan to provide impetus to the long-awaited military reform.
“The new CDS will have to pick up from where General Rawat left. His top priorities will include steering the theaterisation drive, bringing about jointness in the armed forces, ensuring all stakeholders are on the same page, defence preparedness and indigenisation of weapons and systems,” said former director general of military operations Lieutenant General Vinod Bhatia (retd).

Chauhan has been appointed the country’s most senior military commander at a time when India and China are locked in a border row in eastern Ladakh, and the government has sharpened its focus on modernising the armed forces through indigenisation.

As CDS, Chauhan will also serve as secretary, department of military affairs (DMA), permanent chairman of the chiefs of staff committee, and the single-point military adviser to the defence minister.
The current theaterisation model to enhance tri-service synergy seeks to set up four integrated commands - two land-centric theatres, an air defence command and a maritime theatre command. The armed forces currently have 17 single-service commands spread across the country.

Chauhan will have to address the Indian Air Force’s (IAF) lingering concerns about the current theaterisation model, as previously reported. IAF’s concerns have raised questions about the viability of the model and indicate that inter-service differences have still not been reconciled. Lack of consensus on joint structures could delay the military reform, officials said.
Deans
BRF Oldie

Post by Deans »

ks_sachin wrote: You know bala I once went up to the brigade HQ of a bde that is part of Black Cat Division. When I reached there this bde was cut-off due to a landslide and all supplies were being done by road.

Anyway the Bde Commander was known to do yoga in the early morning in a kurta and pyjama at 9,000 ft. The forward pickets were at 17,000 ft. I went up there to a place where Guru Nanak is supposed to have rested.
Sachin, I think I visited the same place - just after the Doklam crisis. What struck me was that I was feeling light headed after a few hours at that altitude, but I saw our Jawans moving up to pickets at a higher level on the reverse slope of the hill above me, where they were likely to stay for weeks, if not months.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Chauhan will have to address the Indian Air Force’s (IAF) lingering concerns about the current theaterisation model, as previously reported. IAF’s concerns have raised questions about the viability of the model and indicate that inter-service differences have still not been reconciled. Lack of consensus on joint structures could delay the military reform, officials said.
Firstly this constant backbiting has to stop by "officials" If they have the courage let them say it openly.

Yes IAF has an assets issue that is self-inflicted by obstinacy for foreign imports. And that too from a particular country namely US.
Thanks to this foolishness, even, more Rafales are in jeopardy as other countries have put in their orders.

The way out of the assets crunch is to speed up Mk2 and AMCA and the SU-30MKI upgrade. And TEDBF and ORCA follow-on.

Coming to theaterization, with the same obstinacy, they will preclude future IAF and IN officers from gaining command experience of large formations which is a prelude to being a candidate for CDS.

So it will happen whether they like it or not.
Admiral D.K. Joshi showed courage and resigned.
If these officials disagree with the decision let them resign and be loyal to their oath.
Canvassing for beauty pageants is not a command experience.

PS Very Happy Gen Anil Chauhan took office right away.
ks_sachin
BRF Oldie

Post by ks_sachin »

Deans wrote:
ks_sachin wrote: You know bala I once went up to the brigade HQ of a bde that is part of Black Cat Division. When I reached there this bde was cut-off due to a landslide and all supplies were being done by road.

Anyway the Bde Commander was known to do yoga in the early morning in a kurta and pyjama at 9,000 ft. The forward pickets were at 17,000 ft. I went up there to a place where Guru Nanak is supposed to have rested.
Sachin, I think I visited the same place - just after the Doklam crisis. What struck me was that I was feeling light headed after a few hours at that altitude, but I saw our Jawans moving up to pickets at a higher level on the reverse slope of the hill above me, where they were likely to stay for weeks, if not months.
How did you happen to go there Deans?
Deans
BRF Oldie

Post by Deans »

ks_sachin wrote:
Deans wrote:
How did you happen to go there Deans?
I was a tourist at a time of year when there were not many. I wanted to get a feel for the area for my book (2022, India's two front war) published
shortly after my visit.
ks_sachin
BRF Oldie

Post by ks_sachin »

Deans wrote:
ks_sachin wrote: How did you happen to go there Deans?
I was a tourist at a time of year when there were not many. I wanted to get a feel for the area for my book (2022, India's two front war) published
shortly after my visit.
So you went through Chaaten and Lachung right up to west of the Gurudongmar?
Atmavik
BRFite

Post by Atmavik »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=el1fnvSme1A&t=76s

‘Concept Of National Security Expanding, Need Collaborative Approach’ -- speech by CDS
Deans
BRF Oldie

Post by Deans »

— admin delete —
ks_sachin
BRF Oldie

Post by ks_sachin »

Did you see the valley of the rhododendrons Deans?
suryag
Forum Moderator

Post by suryag »

Folks do you need these discussions here ??
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Dilbu wrote:Tri-services Missile Command on anvil as stand-off weapons era dawns
In the era of stand-off weapons, the Narendra Modi government is considering setting up of a tri-services missile/rocket command on the lines of the space and the cyber command as the first steps towards military theatre commands.

The proposed missile command will be responsible for deployment of missile and rocket regiments against any hostile adversary and will be manned by commanders of the three services in rotation. This means that conventional missiles like BrahMos and Akash as well as Pinaka rockets will be placed under one command for rapid deployment against any adversary. The proposal to set up a missile command has been moved in the aftermath of the May 2020 East Ladakh stand-off with the PLA and the use of rockets and missiles in the Ukraine theatre by the Red Army.
The PLA has deployed rocket regiments in the depth areas of occupied Aksai Chin with missiles in the hinter in Tibet and Sinkiang region. The missile command will be on similar lines as the tri-services cyber command and the space command as the future wars will hardly have any contact between troops unless used for capturing enemy territory.
ks_sachin
BRF Oldie

Post by ks_sachin »

How is this different from strategic forces command Ramana garu?
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

ks_sachin wrote:How is this different from strategic forces command Ramana garu?
This is the Integrated Rocket Force (IRF) that is getting underway. Was on pause after the untimely demise of General Rawat. General Chauhan is literally taking over, right from where General Rawat stopped. And that is a good thing.

The Strategic Forces Command (SFC) consists of the ICBM/IRBM/SLBM arsenal. These missiles are armed with nuclear warheads and require launch authorization from India’s Nuclear Command Authority (NCA).

The IRF does not come under the purview of the NCA and is wholly under the services’ control. BrahMos, Pralay, Prahaar, Nirbhay, etc will all come under IRF. These missiles do not have nuclear warheads. That does not mean these missiles cannot have n-warheads, but considering India’s NFU policy…it is counterproductive to have them armed with n-warheads (even tactical nukes like Pakistan’s Nasr are a no go).

India’s n-warheads serve solely in the retaliatory strike role. Until the NFU policy is changed or reversed, any discussion in that vein is purely academic.
ks_sachin
BRF Oldie

Post by ks_sachin »

Thank you Admiral. Lots of new Generals..
But what problems does this solve?
SRajesh
BRF Oldie

Post by SRajesh »

Ramanaji and Rakesh
IRF a part of the Theatre Command reorganisation and just that or is there any external pressure for command-and-control structure as a fallout of the 'Brahmos vs Cold Storage' saga and Khan pressure??
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

Rsatchi wrote:Ramanaji and Rakesh
IRF a part of the Theatre Command reorganisation and just that or is there any external pressure for command-and-control structure as a fallout of the 'Brahmos vs Cold Storage' saga and Khan pressure??
Theatre Command reorganization Saar. There are a number of theatre commands coming up. The Missile Command is one of them. An Air Defence Command is another one. Then there is the Maritime Command.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

IAF's doctrinal aspects should not be compromised by new structures: Chief Air Staff on theaterisation model
https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/ne ... 645158.cms
04 Oct 2022
VinodTK
BRF Oldie

Post by VinodTK »

Rakesh wrote:IAF's doctrinal aspects should not be compromised by new structures: Chief Air Staff on theaterisation model
04 Oct 2022
Why do the current and former air chief's think that IAF capability will be reduced by theaterisation?
As part of restructuring, would the re-org not take into count the capability of the new structure!!
How have other countries done theaterisation (we will not be the first)??

Or are we missing something? regardless why wash the laundry in public
ShauryaT
BRF Oldie

Post by ShauryaT »

VinodTK wrote: Why do the current and former air chief's think that IAF capability will be reduced by theaterisation?
As part of restructuring, would the re-org not take into count the capability of the new structure!!
How have other countries done theaterisation (we will not be the first)??

Or are we missing something? regardless why wash the laundry in public
Reading between the lines of the ACM's Air Force day speech, the following could be the issues.

1. Lack of independent control of air operations, fear that integrated theater commands would be tactical driven
2. Desire to see space domain as an exclusive domain of the air force
3. Lack of fungibility of meager air assets across commands, spreading its assets too thin leading to slower decision cycles and affect security interests
4. Budgets, Budgets, Budgets!
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Rakesh wrote:IAF's doctrinal aspects should not be compromised by new structures: Chief Air Staff on theaterisation model
04 Oct 2022

Which doctrine aspect would that be?
Theaterization will help IAF achieve all its doctrine aspects.
Currently, all it can do is fly in areas where there is no threat.
Eg LAC is 3000 km. Of which about 1000km is the vulnerable area. Rest is difficult for even mountain goats.
No need to patrol those with over flights and wear out the planes per doctrine.
Since 2020 Galwan IAF has been like Duke of York's Army.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

I read the Economic Times article.
If it report is accurate VRC is going to be a hero.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

"The CDS has communicated to the defence forces to move ahead on creating theatre commands which would be his priority area. A lot of discussions have already been done on the issue and it is now time to move forward,"

Link: https://www.devdiscourse.com/article/la ... e-commands

https://www.indiatoday.in/india/story/c ... 2022-10-02

CHindu too gets it:

https://www.thehindu.com/news/national/ ... 960310.ece

This doesn't look like an ask.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

My view is he is telling not asking. Never make that mistake with a four-star.
They never advise.
They order you. It might sound like you have a choice but not in their mind.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

ks_sachin wrote:Thank you Admiral. Lots of new Generals..
But what problems does this solve?

It puts together scarce forces into a command which can be deployed as needed.

If IAF is so adamant in resisting theaterization due to dissipating fighter forces, then fighter command can be created and elements attached to different theaters based on meeting threats.

Can be named Integrated Fighter Command.

It will be headed by a Naval air pilot of VADM rank. This way IAF cant have rancour.
Can deploy assets under CDS direction.
ks_sachin
BRF Oldie

Post by ks_sachin »

Ramana Garu - I was referring to the Missile Command with Pinaka as one of its holdings.

I am one with you on the need for the AF to join the party re-theaterisation.
ParGha
BRFite

Post by ParGha »

ks_sachin wrote:I was referring to the Missile Command with Pinaka as one of its holdings.
One MBRL regiment (Grad or Smerch or Pinaka) is traditionally the “Corps Commander’s Shotgun”. That, along with an (I) Armoured Brigade in Plains or the Corps Artillery Brigade in the Hills, are his main combat levers; everything else, he has to rely on the Division and lower Brigade commanders. Taking them away really handicaps him, and leaves him begging the IRF and squabbling with other Corps commanders for resources.

On the flip side, it makes perfect sense to move systems with >120km range into a separate IRF command; a Corps depth of responsibility is 72kms, and they usually don’t have the ISTA and C4 assets to handle targets beyond 120kms.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Long back the Corps commander had two (just 2) 7.2" heavy artillery. These were declared obsolete by 1971 and nothing to replace them for a long time till Pinaka was made in quantity. Now with guided Pinaka, they restored the efficacy of those heavy guns at the Corps level.

Integrated Rocket Force (IRF) seems to be a solution for scarce resources (reasons can be anything) and deployed in various theaters based on threats. The tactical command will be with the formations.

ks_sachin, IRF rationale was already given by Rakesh. We don't have more insight, but if you think in their shoes is one option for the problem. And by clearly designating them as tactical assets, removes the ambiguity of dual-use missiles like Prithivi etc.
US can fire ATACMS, HIMARS, and MLRS and raises no-nuke flashpoint whines.
India fires a Brahmos the Indian media pipes in with it can fire nuke warhead! What's that bokwas?

Coupta is the Octopus, not Hydra feeding this disinformation.
ShauryaT
BRF Oldie

Post by ShauryaT »

ramana wrote:Integrated Rocket Force (IRF) seems to be a solution for scarce resources (reasons can be anything) and deploy in various theaters based on threats. The tactical command will be with the formations.
I think the scarce resources extend to trained and skilled personnel, C4, ISR type of assets too, needed for successful use of this beyond arty range weapons. They can be an escalation point for conventional setups and hence MoD and DMA both may desire control for its use.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

I guess you want a discussion!
After a long hiatus and endless speculation, the country finally has a Chief of Defence Staff and successor to the late General Bipin Rawat — General Anil Chauhan. Like his predecessor in this post, he is a Gurkha officer and, more importantly, a native of Pauri Garhwal — an origin they fortuitously share with the National Security Adviser, Ajit Doval. The Pauri Garhwali fellowship aside, Chauhan’s time as Director-General, Military Operations during the Balakot strike operation that was, in reality, more a “political” and “public relations” success than a military one, may have earned him plus points at the PMO and appointments, after retiring as the Eastern Army commander, as Military Adviser to the National Security Council that Doval oversees and now as CDS and, concurrently, Secretary, Department of Military Affairs (DMA), and Chairman, Chiefs of Staff Committee. (The DGMO’s brief during the Balakot op would have been to keep the army primed for hostilities in case Pakistan followed up the chase by its F-16s of the Indian strike aircraft in scoot mode with army action.)

{This is plainly a whine and speculation. We don't know what we don't know. Very clearly Gen Chauhan has the right credentials wrt the PRC threat. Not only was he DGMO, but was Eastern Army Commander and as the Military advisor would have developed some expertise in the higher direction of military forces and integrating the three services inputs.}

Chauhan seems a run-of-the-mill careerist type who got lucky (in terms of political connections). He has no paper trail in terms of writings, public speeches, etc. that would clue us to the views he holds on military and national security matters and, even less, about what he means to do. :mrgreen: It is obvious that when Rawat was anointed CDS, Modi-Doval had no road map on armed forces’ integation and theaterisation of commands, and Rawat felt free to voice some very definite but wrong-headed views. Such as the air force as a support service, expeditionary forces as unnecessary and, not for the right reasons, aircraft carriers as unaffordable luxuries. They ended up stiffening the resistance to his initiatives from the get-go. Chauhan while publicly more circumspect is reported by “government officials” as saying that there have been enough “discussions” already and “it is now time to move forward” on implementing theaterisation of commands, his priority.

{Gen Chauhan's mandate seems to be to implement theaterization and he has already given the direction to the three services. As for his no paper trail that's good. We have too many paper generals who write op-eds and do "after the event" commentary. As the military adviser to NSC, he would have written his papers for them.

About Balakot it did what it was meant to do. Cross the Pak Nuke Redlines and ended mass casualty terrorism. }

But realization of theatre commands assumes that all three armed services are on the same page and, moreover, that a certain level integration of the services has already been achieved — neither of which is true! Indeed, the air force chief, Air Chief Marshal VR Chaudhari preempted the constitution of the ‘Air Defence Command’ by announcing on October 4 the establishment of a new and separate operational stream within his service — the so-called Weapons Systems Branch headed by an Air Marshal-rank officer to control all of IAF’s surface-to-air missile and surface-to-surface missile squadrons and fleet of surveillance and attack drones! And, doubling down, he stated plainly that his service’s air power doctrine cannot be compromised, and added that theaterised commands would only complicate operational and other decisionmaking by adding another layer to it! So, whatever Chauhan has in mind to do, the IAF is not on-board.

{Sorry to refute it but creating a Weapons Systems Branch in IAF is a long overdue recognition of the work they do. For too long the fighter pilot folks dominate. It does not prevent the formation of Air Defence Command. Gen Chauhan has already told what he is going to do. It is up to everybody to make it happen.}

But what’s the thinking in his parent service — the army. Consider the views of two retired officers, Lieutenant Generals Raj Shukla, whose last two postings as Commandant, Army War College, and head of the Army Training Command in Shimla, presumably afforded him the time to mull over issues in some depth, and Satish Dua, a former Chief of the Integrated Defence Staff and GOC, XV Corps in J&K.

While conceding that “integrated theatre commands are an important structural correction”, Shukla in a somewhat confused and confusing Hindustan Times op-ed of Sept 30, considered them remnants of the “industrial era”, and hinted at “parallel pathways” to jointness courtesy “digital integration, tri-service clouds, Artificial Intelligence-enabled combat frameworks” which, he claimed, would produce “superior” “military autonomy” than theatre commands (but is military autonomy the objective of military integration?), before lurching sideways to urge General Chauhan to make “an immediate, accelerated and ambitious turn to the seas, even as we fortify our combat posture” on the disputed land border with China.

{Bharat Karnad is correct. Gen Shukla is not clear in what he proposes. In such situations, folks resort to jargon and buzzwords. The clear and present threat is single PLA Western Command across parts LOC and LAC. In contrast, India has seven(7) commands. And these are not even in the same state. Time to give up outmoded British Army thinking prior to WWII and get on with the reality}

Delving into the challenges facing Chauhan, Dua’s op-ed on the same day in the Times of India was less futuristic and more hopeful that the new CDS will “carry forward” Rawat’s “endeavour”, further the cause of “civil-military fusion”, and prepare the system for “multi-domain warfare” by utilizing the DMA. He regards theaterisation as a means of using “existing resources for an optimised combat effectiveness”, which he admits will be no easy task to realize. But he advises Chauhan to take “strong decisions” if he finds “unanimity” among services chiefs missing meaning, apparently, that he should hold Air Chief Marshal Chaudhuri’s feet to the fire, ride roughshod over the IAF’s objections to the air defence command, while ensuring that this “transition” is “smooth”. How the CDS is to do all this, Dua doesn’t say.

{Gen Dua clearly wants theaterization as he understands the threat. And is giing his views on how to go about achieving it. His reference to late Gen Rawat's endeavour is because a lot of time was already spent on the framework. Sadly he could not implement it. To be honest Air Defence Command, Maritime Command and Northern Command are easy to implement. The difficult ones will be Western and Eastern Theater commands. The latter due to a warm LAC and it's not wise to change formations at such a time.}

Shukla’s and Dua’s writings — and one can refer to a bunch of other similar articles by serving and retired military personnel on the subject of jointness-integration-theaterisation, are symptomatic of the problem. It is all airy-fairy stuff. Everybody knows where to go but no clear-cut ideas of how to get there.

{Yes however the point is they sincerely want to achieve some things better than the present 17 commands.}

Some 20 years ago at an army symposium in Bangalore I presented a paper that envisaged four stages leading to forces integration — cooperation, coordination, jointness, integration. I said then that the Indian armed services are stuck in the first stage of cooperating, willy-nilly, during crisis and war, and that coordination some time happens if, say, NDA coursemates from different services decide to work closely outside usual channels in an emergency, and that the last two stages of jointness and integration are thresholds realistically so far beyond realization as to be mere abstractions! Into the third decade of the new millennium, little substantively has changed.

A major restructuring of armed forces is not a joke, or indulged in on a political whim. It requires a singularity of vision and, ideally, years of serious and sustained study and inter-services discussions, and interactions at the services HQ-level, in-depth reports from in-house and diverse external sources — informed analysts, academics, thinktanks and management consultants that explore the technology trends and management imperatives, different models of military manpower usage, systems of hardware procurements and budgetary allocations, experiences of military integration in other countries, and involves fleshing out of alternative schemes of jointness and the costs of such transformation, and finally wargaming and practical exercises to test and validate the alternative schemata of operational wartime and peacetime decisionmaking to see what works best. That’s how the most effective mix of military and nonmilitary elements and the meshing of different decision-making. command and control designs, can be discovered and armed services restructured in the most effective way. As far as I know, none of this has happened and yet the country is embarked on a major reordering of its armed forces.

{ All these are great since 1999. Now the time of seminars and studies is over. There is an eminent threat across LAC. Not time to talk about the rice bowls. One way or the other history will be made.}

Surely, the Modi government can’t be very serious about military integration and theaterisation of commands, because as things stand now the underway efforts seem like passing political fancy. But two moves would still make a difference even if the ground is inadequately prepared for such overhaul. Because more time cannot be wasted on the preparatory work; it will have to be the trial and error method. The Prime Minister has, firstly, to be the principal stakeholder in this exercise and use the whip against the military pooh-bahs and laggards undermining/delaying the process. This may involve firing reluctant services chiefs of staff and retiring principal staff officers in Services headquarters. And secondly, and more importantly, he has to invest Chauhan with the necessary authority — the CDS cannot be the first among equals; in a military milieu that won’t work. He has to be a five star officer — a Field Marshal/Admiral of the Fleet/Marshal of the Air Force, who outranks everybody and whose orders and instructions the services chiefs can ignore or resist at their peril. Absent these steps, Modi may as well whistle for theaterisation.

{Now you are talking like Gen Dua!!! Gen Chauhan as you noted is not only the CDS but Chief of Staffs Committee. His orders or rather directions are to be obeyed and are not advisement. A marshal's baton is earned on the battlefield and not a piece-time scrambled egg of gold braid.}

The Prime Minister may care to learn a lesson or two from the American experience. In the US, President Harry Truman and Secretary of War Henry Stimson took ownership of the unification plan and were the political piledrivers, who pulverzied the objections of the military, especially the senior service — the US Navy, and brusquely dismissed the parochial fears of the Admirals of renown — the Chester Nimitz’s and the Arleigh Burke’s, who had gained fame in the Second World War and opposed military unification. There was also no great body of studies and reports leading to the military integration and the emergence of the Pentagon in Washington, DC. There was but a single design for unification outlined in a short paper authored by a single person, not a committee — Stimson’s adviser and confidante, a man named Ferdinand. The trial and error method here led to an exercise in rectification and a second defence system overhaul in the 1980s — the Goldwater-Nichols Act.

{CDS and Theaterization are an outcome of KRC reforms. They are already studied for 20 years in many committees-GOM, High powered officials etc. And am sure even in GOI the concept paper was less than a paragraph for it has been studied already. Everyone refers to US Goldwater-Nichols Act and such things. But this is India and more is achieved by reason than by coercion. So sooner than later theaterization will happen. We need a long service tenure for the national security command.*}
*anari song.
ShauryaT
BRF Oldie

Post by ShauryaT »

Ramana: All I need to say is Tathatsu. Let the integration begin. Faster the better. We will make our own mistakes and learn from them. Having said this, one peculiarity sticks out. Seems to me the government made a choice and then amended the rules to suit their choice, Kosher. But the fear of the political arm not in the drivers seat to drive policy, will result in half steps and impede progress if lines of authority are not clear, especially in a hierarchical setup. One can guarantee turf wars in the process and an attempt to protect authorities and control of resources. Our military structures are too entrenched in colonial setups combined with regional/community affiliations. It will take hard nosed political power to get the integration done in desired timeframes. Hope the CDS gets this support for the office does not have the powers, yet.
ks_sachin
BRF Oldie

Post by ks_sachin »

ShauryaT in this instance we make mistakes then we are up shit creek. I like the fact that we can be so glib about the massive amount of change that comes about without care in the world.

I was all for IBGs but even before we have bedded that down we have tried to tackle recruitment now theaterisation. The IBGs hopefully will be good as they were borne out of the lessons learnt from the recent past (Op Parakram), the recruitment issue I am on the fence about but I think there are more urgent and important things to solve than theaterisation.

Too much change and too soon will mean that the ball will be dropped somewhere.....If change management is applied in private sector it applies even more so the Armed Forces. The result of churn can lead to the attrition of good officers....

I have more comments on Karnad's article but will desist as it will not go down well with the BR community - but its very rare to see very cerebral officers reach the very top. Is it not strange that none of the last 5 or 6 Chiefs are ever in the mix when we talk about visionary chiefs? Gen BC Joshi always comes up or Gen Sundarji.