CDS Appointment & Command Restructuring: News & Discussions

The Military Issues & History Forum is a venue to discuss issues relating to the military aspects of the Indian Armed Forces, whether the past, present or future. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
ks_sachin
BRF Oldie

Re: CDS Appointment & Command Restructuring: News & Discussions

Post by ks_sachin »

And what is that?

Name one government sector organisation where our Indian way of working has made it a paragon of virtue...
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

It's disappointing that new CDS and Theater commands were not announced.

There must be some drama behind the scenes.
It's strange that everyone from taxiwala to chiefs have an opinion but the Politician have to follow.

Karna or Achilles sulking syndrome.
KSingh
BRFite

Post by KSingh »

pushkar.bhat wrote:Given the lack of initiative in the appointment of the CDS it's adequately clear that the Government is sceptical of Jointness being created via the CDS Structure. Perhaps we need a more Indian way of achieving it.
More like the lunatics are running the asylum.
Anoop
BRFite

Post by Anoop »

Here's another possibility that does not have to assume that BRF members are the smartest guys in the room and everyone else is an idiot or has sold out.

Maybe a successor to the late Gen Rawat has been identified and would have taken over in due course had Gen. Rawat completed his tenure. Appointment him now would be premature because he doesn't have the seniority over the other Chiefs. So perhaps the appointment will occur in 2023 when the first CDS would have retired. To those nwho say that this is far fetched and indeed poor decision making to leave the post idle for so long...yes that's a valid point. But the post itself is less than 2 years old and the Services have got on with their job for the past 73 years without the CDS too.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Some late drama is most probable explanation.
Let's wait. Two or three months.
Tha brings to November.
All to avoid extreme action.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

About time. Finally!!!! Thanks for the info.

I hope he is senior to the three chiefs at present. I am talking about commissioning date and not rank.

Lt Gen Anil Chauhan. Will be elevated to full General now. Retired on 31 May 2021.

Added Later

So I looked up Lt Gen Anil Chauhan. June 1981 commission. He is senior to all the three Chiefs. So should be no issue. Lets see.

* General Manoj Pande - Dec 1982 commission.

* Admiral Hari Kumar - Jan 1983 commission.

* Air Chief VR Chaudhari - Dec 1982 commission.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

General Anil Chauhan is a Gorkha officer, just like General Bipin Rawat.

He is from 11 Gorkha, home to legends like;

* Captain Manoj Pandey, Param Vir Chakra (Kargil)
* Captain Man Bahadur Rai, Ashoka Chakra
* 2nd Lt. Puneet Nath Dutt, Ashoka Chakra
suryag
Forum Moderator

Post by suryag »

Looked at older news articles, spoke in favour of CAA (?), supporter of IBGs and looks like his Brig/Maj.General promo got delayed during the 2009-14 timeframe. Wishing him and India the best.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

https://twitter.com/nitingokhale/status ... SdnNEEvOTg ---> Govt has decided to appoint Lt Gen Anil Chauhan (retd) as the next Chief of Defence Staff. The CDS shall function as Secretary to Government of India, Dept. of Military Affairs with effect from the date of his assumption of charge and until further orders.

https://twitter.com/sidhant/status/1575 ... SdnNEEvOTg --->

Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

I prefer not to post tweets from Ajai Shukla, but this one is relevant. Explains why he was chosen.

https://twitter.com/ajaishukla/status/1 ... SdnNEEvOTg ---> General Chauhan, who is the new Chief of Defence Staff (CDS), was commissioned into the Gurkha Rifles, commanded a division in Kashmir, a corps in the east (4 Corps, poised against China) and finally the enormous Eastern Command. Plenty of experience against the Chinese.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

I guess they had to choose a retired officer as the current pool is not enough.
Good that he has Eastern Army command experience.
Same as current COAS General Manoj Pande.

A big task is to form the IBGs and Theatre Commands.
Cyrano
BRF Oldie

Post by Cyrano »

Let's wish him all success!
Is this a 3 year term?
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

CDS tenure is till the age of 65. He is 61+ years now. So a little over three years.
Cyrano
BRF Oldie

Post by Cyrano »

Good. That gives time to deliver.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

Oh sure. He will continue and finish the job that General Rawat started.

His first job, IMVHO, should be to groom his successor. Nine months wasted. In parallel, work to make the forces truly self reliant.

Everything else (MRCBF, MRFA and other phoren purchases) should be secondary. We need to see orders of ATAGS, LCHs, additional Tejas Mk1As, etc. He needs to deliver on that and I hope he will.
SRajesh
BRF Oldie

Post by SRajesh »

^^Rakesh
From the Naval point: Conventional Subs. should be the item isnt it??
And before he retires, he should put in a blueprint of 10 years acquisition process in place which all three services buy into (All major toys barring few smaller items)
Atmavik
BRFite

Post by Atmavik »

Rakesh wrote:CDS tenure is till the age of 65. He is 61+ years now. So a little over three years.

Priority tasks

1. Finish Theaterisation
2. Atmanirbhar in defense manufacturing
3. Right sizing the forces ( agnipath future)
4. Slowly remove colonial symbols
bala
BRFite

Post by bala »

Lt. General Anil Chauhan (Retd.) appointed next Chief of Defence Staff
https://www.thehindu.com/news/national/ ... 946805.ece
September 28, 2022
The Government on Tuesday appointed former Eastern Army Commander Lt. General Anil Chauhan (Retd) as the next Chief of Defence Staff (CDS). The post has been vacant since the untimely death of the country’s first CDS Gen. Bipin Rawat in a helicopter crash in December 2021.

In June, the Government amended Service Rules of the Army, Navy and Air Force allowing retired Service Chiefs and three star rank officers eligible for consideration to the country’s top military post. However, with an age limit imposed that the retired officer should not have attained 62 years on the date of appointment, retired Service Chiefs are largely ruled out especially so for the present consideration.

While the tenure of Service Chiefs is 62 years of age or three years whichever is earlier, the age limit for the CDS is 65 years of age with no fixed tenure defined.

Major task ahead

General Rawat was pushing forward the ambitious plan for reorganisation of the armed forces into integrated theatre commands among other measures to bring in synergy and efficiency.

The broad mandate of the CDS includes bringing about “jointness” in “operations, logistics, transport, training, support services, communications, repairs and maintenance of the three Services, within three years of the first CDS assuming office”.

This task now falls on the new CDS to build consensus and take the reorganisation process forward, which has been delayed due to lack of complete consensus and objections on certain aspects from the Air Force. Detailed studies have already been carried out, and table top exercises executed in the recent past to fine tune the modalities. Additional studies have also been carried out in this direction.

In addition, the war in Ukraine has added urgency on the need to indigenize critical military technologies and systems and reduce dependence on imports.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

https://twitter.com/thewittynoise/statu ... rEre_5Hp_Q ---> Five reasons why Lt. Gen. Anil Chauhan (retd.) might have been picked up as the new Chief of Defence Staff(CDS), setting aside the popular choices.

https://twitter.com/thewittynoise/statu ... rEre_5Hp_Q ---> 1/5. Involved in the planning of the Indian armed forces' game-changing offensive in Balakot surgical strikes, including post-strike management of the escalation along the Indo-Pak border.

https://twitter.com/thewittynoise/statu ... rEre_5Hp_Q ---> 2/5. As, Director-General of Military Operations, he was the main architect of ‘Operation Sunrise’, under which coordinated operations were conducted by the Indian and Myanmar armies against insurgent groups operating near the border between the two countries.

https://twitter.com/thewittynoise/statu ... rEre_5Hp_Q ---> 3/5. Insurgency situation in the Northeastern states witnessed a major decline during the general officer’s tenure, resulting in reduced footprint of the Indian Army from a number of Northeast states.

https://twitter.com/thewittynoise/statu ... rEre_5Hp_Q ---> 4/5. Under his leadership, the eastern army demonstrated its prowess and will to secure national interests along the Sino-India border. Period also saw a substantial stepping up of infrastructure development in the border areas that remains a critical challenge in eastern command.

https://twitter.com/thewittynoise/statu ... rEre_5Hp_Q ---> 5/5. Lt. Gen. Chauhan as military advisor to National Security Council secretariat has worked closely with the influential NSA, Ajit Doval and enjoys his rapport that might have pushed his candidature further in the line.

https://twitter.com/thewittynoise/statu ... rEre_5Hp_Q ---> Hence, served at the helm and supervised the strategy of the two most sensitive military commands and as the only two Frontiers of concern in India's military doctrine viz. Northern and Eastern, his appointment seems a perfect fit for the top post of the Indian armed forces.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

Speech by India's new CDS, General Anil Chauhan. Click on link below. Four part video...

https://twitter.com/Maverickmusafir/sta ... rEre_5Hp_Q
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

https://twitter.com/lca_tejas_/status/1 ... rEre_5Hp_Q ---> General Bipin Rawat Sir & Lieutenant General Anil Chauhan Sir in one frame.

ks_sachin
BRF Oldie

Post by ks_sachin »

Plus, his hair is bloody short - as it should be - and he wears his beret in the proper manner!!!!
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

ks_sachin wrote:Plus, his hair is bloody short - as it should be - and he wears his beret in the proper manner!!!!
Nice to see you in this discussion :)

Finally arrived Sachin! Not a moment too late.
YashG
BRFite

Post by YashG »

And he is not a pot -bellied general. Frankly, if you cant keep yourself in shape - you probably cant keep forces in shape too. Discipline pervades all. There should be some basic minimum fitness standards for promotions in forces. I see generals fattening on lots of kebabs and no exercise.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

Most flag officers get into desk jobs and that lack of activity causes weight gain. Genetics, diet, lack of exercise all add to that as well. The only exceptions I have seen are SF officers who reach flag rank. They continue their regimen well into senior ranks and even post retirement. The SF level of exercise, self discipline and motivation just stay with you till the end. There are non-SF flag rank officers that are fit, but they take a personal interest in their well being and health.
ks_sachin
BRF Oldie

Post by ks_sachin »

Rakesh wrote:
ks_sachin wrote:Plus, his hair is bloody short - as it should be - and he wears his beret in the proper manner!!!!
Nice to see you in this discussion :)

Finally arrived Sachin! Not a moment too late.
Admiral I aim to please.

I will be the first to admit my knowledge pales in comparison to you or some of the others but I can and attest to the power of simple things like a tight waistline and a well presented beret!!
bala
BRFite

Post by bala »

ks_sachin wrote:power of simple things like a tight waistline
My own classmate Anil, was a goofball, sloppy and always trying to cut corners. I lost touch after College and career but I did, years later, meet him. I was completely floored. The chap joined the Army, Major rank, trim and fit, tight waistline. I greeted him, "Is that you Anil"? I have great respect for the Armed forces of India, especially how they can shape a person into discipline, valor and worth.
ks_sachin
BRF Oldie

Post by ks_sachin »

bala wrote:
ks_sachin wrote:power of simple things like a tight waistline
My own classmate Anil, was a goofball, sloppy and always trying to cut corners. I lost touch after College and career but I did, years later, meet him. I was completely floored. The chap joined the Army, Major rank, trim and fit, tight waistline. I greeted him, "Is that you Anil"? I have great respect for the Armed forces of India, especially how they can shape a person into discipline, valor and worth.
You know bala I once went up to the brigade HQ of a bde that is part of Black Cat Division. When I reached there this bde was cut-off due to a landslide and all supplies were being done by road.

Anyway the Bde Commander was known to do yoga in the early morning in a kurta and pyjama at 9,000 ft. The forward pickets were at 17,000 ft. I went up there to a place where Guru Nanak is supposed to have rested.

Everyone knew that the Bde Commander could keep up with the youngsters and the awe was noticeable.

He is still more flexible than most youngsters I meet and even today, plays at least 36 to 48 rounds of golf a week!!
Dilbu
BRF Oldie

Post by Dilbu »

Why A China Expert As New Chief Of Defence Services (CDS) Is Vital
Lt Gen Chauhan (retd), described as a "China expert", had been serving as counsel to the national security adviser after his retirement from active service last year. He will take up the role of chief of defence staff "until further orders", a defence ministry statement said late Wednesday. Lt Gen Chauhan (retd) commanded ground forces on the eastern front -- including much of the disputed border with China -- before stepping down.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Prasar Bharati
China affairs experts Lt General Anil Chauhan (Retd) becomes new Chief of Defence Staff

The Government of India has appointed Lt General Anil Chauhan, a known China expert as the next Chief of Defence Staff (CDS). Retired in May last year from as the Eastern Army Command chief, Lt Gen Chauhan is PVSM, UYSM, AVSM, SM, VSM. This is the first time a retired three star officer will be acting as a four star officer and will also act as the first among the equals as the permanent chairman of the chiefs of the staff committee.

Earlier, in June, the government had tweaked the rules to allow even retired three-star officers to be considered for the CDS post, if they were younger than 62 years of age, which ruled out the recently retired military chiefs for the CDS post as the three chiefs serve till the age of 62 or for three years, whichever is earlier, while the CDS can go up to 65. General Bipin Rawat was the first CDS, who died in a helicopter crash in Tamil Nadu in December last year.

Lt Gen Chauhan will also function as Secretary to Government of India, Department of Military Affairs with effect from the date of his assumption of charge and until further orders. In a career spanning over nearly 40 years, Lt Gen Chauhan had held several command, staff and instrumental appointments and had extensive experience in counter-insurgency operations in Jammu & Kashmir and North-East India.

Born on 18th May 1961, Lt Gen Chauhan was commissioned into the 11 Gorkha Rifles of the Indian Army in 1981. He is an alumnus of the National Defence Academy, Khadakwasla and Indian Military Academy, Dehradun.

In the rank of Maj General, he had commanded an Infantry Division in the critical Baramula sector in the Northern Command. Later as Lt General, he commanded a corps in the North East and subsequently went to become the General Officer Commanding-in-Chief of the Eastern Command from September 2019 and held the charge until his retirement from the service in May 2021.

In addition to these command appointments, the officer also tenanted important staff appointments including the charge of Director General of Military Operations. Earlier, he had also served as a United Nations mission to Angola.

Lt Gen Chauhan superannuated from the Indian Army on 31 May 2021. Even after his retirement from the Army, he continued to contribute to national security and strategic matters. For his distinguished and illustrious service in the Army, Lt General Anil Chauhan was awarded the Param Vishisht Seva Medal, Uttam Yudh Seva Medal, Ati Vishisht Seva Medal, Sena Medal and Vishisht Seva Medal.

The duties and functions of the Chief of Defence Staff (CDS) are fascinating. He heads the Department of Military Affairs in Ministry of Defence and function as its Secretary, besides acting as the Principal Military Advisor to the Raksha Mantri on all Tri-Service matters. He also functions as the Permanent Chairman of the Chiefs of Staff Committee and administers the Tri-Service organizations/agencies/commands. Lt Gen Chauhan will also a member of Defence Acquisition Council chaired by the Raksha Mantri.

CDS also functions as the Military Advisor to the Nuclear Command Authority and brings about jointness in operation, logistics, transport, training, support services, communications, repairs and maintenance, etc of the three Services. He also ensures optimal utilisation of infrastructure and rationalise it through jointness among the Services. CDS also implements Five-Year Defence Capital Acquisition Plan and Two-Year roll-on Annual Acquisition Plans, as a follow up of Integrated Capability Development Plan.

CDS also assigns inter-services prioritisation to capital acquisition proposals based on the anticipated budget, besides bringing about reforms in the functioning of three Services with the aim to augment combat capabilities of the Armed Forces by reducing wasteful expenditure. He also has the mandate of the Department of Military Affairs inter-alia including facilitation of restructuring of Military Commands for optimal utilisation of resources by bringing about jointness in operations, including through establishment of joint/theatre commands.
JTull
BRF Oldie

Post by JTull »

ks_sachin wrote:
bala wrote: My own classmate Anil, was a goofball, sloppy and always trying to cut corners. I lost touch after College and career but I did, years later, meet him. I was completely floored. The chap joined the Army, Major rank, trim and fit, tight waistline. I greeted him, "Is that you Anil"? I have great respect for the Armed forces of India, especially how they can shape a person into discipline, valor and worth.
You know bala I once went up to the brigade HQ of a bde that is part of Black Cat Division. When I reached there this bde was cut-off due to a landslide and all supplies were being done by road.

Anyway the Bde Commander was known to do yoga in the early morning in a kurta and pyjama at 9,000 ft. The forward pickets were at 17,000 ft. I went up there to a place where Guru Nanak is supposed to have rested.

Everyone knew that the Bde Commander could keep up with the youngsters and the awe was noticeable.

He is still more flexible than most youngsters I meet and even today, plays at least 36 to 48 rounds of golf a week!!
36 to 48 rounds per week? I don't think you've ever played or watched golf.

It is usual to take 4hrs per round. There aren't enough hours in the week!
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

https://twitter.com/kashyapRajiv/status ... fUF2a_SIBg ---> Lt Gen Anil Chauhan will take over as the new CDS tomorrow tomorrow - September 30, 2022. Around 9:15 a.m. will visit the National War Memorial. Then 9:30 a.m. Guard of Honour at South Block Lawn.
JTull
BRF Oldie

Post by JTull »

Is there any word if he's going to take charge as Lt Gen and then get promoted to Gen, or other way? Interesting semantics as I've never heard of anyone getting promoted when not on active duty.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

Should be full rank. I would be surprised if he became CDS as Lt Gen, even if it is just for one day and then gets promoted. He is coming out of retirement. So will be walking in with full General rank and with CDS Insignia.

His shoulder patch will look like this...

Image Source: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File ... ia_CDS.svg

Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

https://twitter.com/rahulsinghx/status/ ... qy2e2juhRA ---> India's new CDS, Gen Anil Chauhan is 61. New rules announced by the govt in June state that the service of CDS can be extended to 65 years. If that be the case, Chauhan will work with six service chiefs to power the theaterisation drive. Deep selection at its best.
JTull
BRF Oldie

Post by JTull »

Rakesh wrote:Should be full rank. I would be surprised if he became CDS as Lt Gen, even if it is just for one day and then gets promoted. He is coming out of retirement. So will be walking in with full General rank and with CDS Insignia.

His shoulder patch will look like this...

Image Source: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File ... ia_CDS.svg
Cool. Thanks for sharing.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

You are welcome. The more one thinks about him and the appointment, it is actually a great selection.

China expert + push on theaterisation, despite all the IAF's misgivings with it. To top it all, a focus on Self Reliance.

All in all, a great move. Lets see how it pans out.

I get the nine month wait time, but honestly...this should never take this long ever again. He should be grooming his successor from day one.

CDS is not a floral business. National Security is serious stuff.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

JTull wrote:Is there any word if he's going to take charge as Lt Gen and then get promoted to Gen, or other way? Interesting semantics as I've never heard of anyone getting promoted when not on active duty.
CONFIRMED: Four Star General.

https://twitter.com/delhidefence/status ... qy2e2juhRA ---> The new Chief of Defence Staff designate, Lieutenant General Anil Chauhan (Retd), will assume office of CDS and Secratary Department of Military Affairs, on 30 September 2022, in the rank of a full four star General.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

JTull wrote:Is there any word if he's going to take charge as Lt Gen and then get promoted to Gen, or other way? Interesting semantics as I've never heard of anyone getting promoted when not on active duty.

I think ACM PC Lal had retired and was brought back as chief.

In British Army retired generals were brought back.

JFK appointed Gen Maxwell Tyler as JCS after he retired.
So there are precedents in the world.