India's Border Security with China and Pakistan-2020 - Part 2

The Military Issues & History Forum is a venue to discuss issues relating to the military aspects of the Indian Armed Forces, whether the past, present or future. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Re: India's Border Security with China and Pakistan-2020 - Part 2

Post by ramana »

Shows how difficult the negotiations are and how alert officials have to be.
Chines proposal restores status quo ante April 2020 but requires India to withdraw a lot more.

So appear reasonable but ask for more.
Rudradev
BRF Oldie

Post by Rudradev »

Wang Yi was testing the water to see how desperate we are for a deal... how much we have acutally distanced from US/QUAD, how much of an economic burden the LAC deployment has become for us, etc.

So he dangled this "we go back 1 km if you go back 10 km" offer. Was resolutely told: "ghantaa".
yensoy
BRF Oldie

Post by yensoy »

Wang Yi, IMHO, was trying to feel the temperature and "pacify" us so that we wouldn't do anything to disturb the Coronation of the Emperor. It was a useless exercise, a worthless proposal but just showing that they had a proposal would presumably calm things down just long enough for the third term to begin. It would be absolutely great if PM made a trip to Tawang on the day prior to the Coronation while RM dropped into Taiwan.
S_Madhukar
BRFite

Post by S_Madhukar »

I think Sugars just want to bore us to death with the idea of a deal while they recalibrate their pol- mil strategy with us. They won’t cede anything but will hope India doesn’t become a Ukr under their belly
VinodTK
BRF Oldie

Post by VinodTK »

Intelligence inputs suggest Chinese army planning fresh incursions
Intelligence inputs suggest the Chinese army is planning fresh incursions at several “sensitive” places along the Line of Actual Control from Ladakh to Arunachal, sources in the security establishment have told The Telegraph.

“These spots had witnessed Chinese incursions in the past. The army and the Indo-Tibetan Border Police have been alerted,” a security official attached to the Union home ministry said.

He said the army had been asked to bolster its operational and infrastructure capabilities and fortify its positions at these sensitive zones.
:
:
:
Vips
BRF Oldie

Post by Vips »

BRO to set up new RCC units, task force for development work in Ladakh: DG

The Border Roads Organisation (BRO) will be setting up new road construction company (RCC) units and a task force for carrying out various development project work in Ladakh, Director General (DG), BRO, Lieutenant General Rajeev Chaudhary said on Friday.

This was conveyed by Lt Gen Chaudhary to Ladakh Lieutenant Governor R K Mathur when he called him at the Raj Niwas in Leh.

The BRO chief also asked the Lt Governor for the allotment of land for carrying out various project works in the Indian territory.

Lt Gen Chaudhary briefed Mathur about the BRO's ongoing project work in Ladakh, including the Hanuthang-Handanbroke-Zingpal-Turtuk road, status of the detailed project report (DPR) for Kela Pass, construction of Chushul-Demchok road and progress on the Nimoo-Padum-Darcha road on the Sino-Indian border, an official statement said.

Mathur appreciated the BRO for opening the Zoji La and Manali-Leh national highways in record time and also for working for the welfare of the labourers, it said.

The LG inquired about the time frame and challenges faced by the BRO for the completion of the Nimoo-Padum-Darcha road and also suggested that the organisation may simultaneously develop an alternate route. He also asked the BRO for improvement of the gradient of the Nimoo-Padum-Darcha road, the statement said.

Lt Gen Chaudhary also provided updates on the installation of crash barriers using steel wire ropes on roadsides to avoid accidents and setting up ‘labour sarais' with proper heating, washing, drinking and bathing facilities for labourers.

He also informed about an initiative for the establishment of cafes along the national highway in Ladakh, the statement said.
VinodTK
BRF Oldie

Post by VinodTK »

Beijing has built 3 cell towers near Hot Springs, say herders
:
:
:
Coming shortly after China completing a bridge on Pangong Tso (lake in Ladakhi), Stanzin said the cell towers at Hot Springs indicates plan to build dual-use infrastructure for settling graziers and may also be enhancing troops. “They are known to launch 4G service wherever there is large troop presence. The dual-use infrastructure can be used by additional troops,” Stanzin said.
:
:
:
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

One lesson for IA to take from the destruction of Russian armor is the vulnerability to drones and anti-tank missiles of various types; guided (Javelin) and unguided (NLAW).

It defeats the PLA combat battalions formation even without a fight.
PLA combat battalions are heavy in armor and APCs for mobility.
These are not invincible provided IA stops the nonsense and adopts the Nag etc. in quantity.
None of the modest qtys from British heritage.
India has NLAW purchases along with Indian license production of Carl Gustaf and KonkursM.
Even Milan would be enough to take out APCs.

Need to increase Nag, Helina missiles.
Atmavik
BRFite

Post by Atmavik »

^^^ spot on, add AT-4 rocket launchers and a few spike to the mix.

Another lesson from the current conflict is artillery fire guided by drones is very effective. Both sides have used it well.

Get the some of the multiple Gun systems that kalyani has developed.
ernest
BRFite

Post by ernest »

ramana wrote:One lesson for IA to take from the destruction of Russian armor is the vulnerability to drones and anti-tank missiles of various types; guided (Javelin) and unguided (NLAW).
I am in favor of more ATGMs / Nag variants, but with certain caveats.

The effectiveness of ATGMs will vary between our northern and eastern borders with PRC, depending a lot on geography. The cover available to ATGM teams will be lot sparser in the northern border than eastern, making it difficult for them to ambush armor. They will be susceptible to detection by UAVs and countered with artillery. (As Atmavik, just above me pointed out)

On the eastern border, ATGM teams will have more favorable geography. One thing that remains same across both borders is that without armor, even if we have sufficient ATGMs, we will be confined to a more defensive posture.

My mango man prescription will be for more UAVs, counter UAVs systems and artillery numbers to be built up. They will allow for better use of armor, ATGMs, and boost our offensive capability. Of course, none of the systems will perform well if they are not complemented / supplemented by others. It is important that we don't have gaps in any area. Right now, my biggest concern w.r.t. PLA is our UAV and artillery numbers
mody
BRFite

Post by mody »

The intelligence reports about PLA planning to make further encroachments should be taken seriously. The Chinese game pan could be to show us that the deal that they are offering right now is the best that we can get and that prolonging the confrontation will only compound the difficulties for us and may lead to further loss of territory and worse compromise deal in the future.
The Chinese have had time acclimatize and get their troops and equipment ready for operating at these altitudes.

India will have to remain very vigilant and also have plans in place t take offensive action of our own, if the PLA does intrude in some areas. The reaction from India should be sharp, swift and severe to show the sugars that we mean business and that any further hanky panky from them will have serious consequences.
ks_sachin
BRF Oldie

Post by ks_sachin »

ernest wrote:
ramana wrote:One lesson for IA to take from the destruction of Russian armor is the vulnerability to drones and anti-tank missiles of various types; guided (Javelin) and unguided (NLAW).
I am in favor of more ATGMs / Nag variants, but with certain caveats.

The effectiveness of ATGMs will vary between our northern and eastern borders with PRC, depending a lot on geography. The cover available to ATGM teams will be lot sparser in the northern border than eastern, making it difficult for them to ambush armor. They will be susceptible to detection by UAVs and countered with artillery. (As Atmavik, just above me pointed out)

On the eastern border, ATGM teams will have more favorable geography. One thing that remains same across both borders is that without armor, even if we have sufficient ATGMs, we will be confined to a more defensive posture.

My mango man prescription will be for more UAVs, counter UAVs systems and artillery numbers to be built up. They will allow for better use of armor, ATGMs, and boost our offensive capability. Of course, none of the systems will perform well if they are not complemented / supplemented by others. It is important that we don't have gaps in any area. Right now, my biggest concern w.r.t. PLA is our UAV and artillery numbers
The army knows exactly what kind of weapons it needs and how it will employ them. It will be more useful if you could look at how we would fight defensively in say Ladakh. Usage of ATGMs then forms part of a spectrum of responses to the options the Chinese have and could exercise.
Any weapon system is not employed in isolation and think of who in the IA has what kind of ATGM and how they will be employed.
Afterall if cover is not enough then Inf bns tasked with defensive roles will cater for that. It’s called terrain appreciation and something that is part of basic combat tactics.
In short gauging the effectiveness of a weapon system is not helpful without the context of its usage within the broader execution on an op.
ernest
BRFite

Post by ernest »

ks_sachin wrote: The army knows exactly what kind of weapons it needs and how it will employ them. It will be more useful if you could look at how we would fight defensively in say Ladakh. Usage of ATGMs then forms part of a spectrum of responses to the options the Chinese have and could exercise.
Any weapon system is not employed in isolation and think of who in the IA has what kind of ATGM and how they will be employed.
Afterall if cover is not enough then Inf bns tasked with defensive roles will cater for that. It’s called terrain appreciation and something that is part of basic combat tactics.
In short gauging the effectiveness of a weapon system is not helpful without the context of its usage within the broader execution on an op.
Thank you for the response. I am trying to learn here. As a nanha mujahid I don't expect to outthink our professionals . It would be great if you can help me with some armchair war planning.

In what areas, do you think, are our land forces underequipped ? Verily all available weapons will be employed as dictated by the situation and plans by the armed forces. But given the Chinese strengths and weaknesses, what combinations of arms will be our best investment in short term (<5years) ? We have budget limitations, and large gaps in arty and aerial assets. That's why I highlighted these two areas in my last post.

Of course the weaponry and volumes required will depend on the extent of conflict as well. So something that would be enough for a Kargil like situation may not be good enough for a 2 front conventional war.

So to narrow it down further, what would you suggest be our priority (in arms buildup for land forces) so that PLA realises that its losses outweigh the gains in opening another front while we punish Pak?
ks_sachin
BRF Oldie

Post by ks_sachin »

@ernest we r all learning.
But one thing that I have learnt is that things are not simple and the response to any question has many nuances.
Your question prompted a discussion with my old man who spent time in Demchok.
Now he made some interesting observations but the upshot of it was ATGMs are not the only way to address an Armd threat. Have a look at the geography around Demchok and let’s see what options you would exercise as a defending force.
I will actually do the same.
So once you understand how you want to prosecute a battle then you look at what weapons and equipment you need in support of those objectives.
mody
BRFite

Post by mody »

https://www.msn.com/en-in/news/world/ho ... 8aae8ce947

How the Soviets helped China capture Xinxiang
ernest
BRFite

Post by ernest »

ks_sachin wrote:@ernest we r all learning.
But one thing that I have learnt is that things are not simple and the response to any question has many nuances.
Your question prompted a discussion with my old man who spent time in Demchok.
Now he made some interesting observations but the upshot of it was ATGMs are not the only way to address an Armd threat. Have a look at the geography around Demchok and let’s see what options you would exercise as a defending force.
I will actually do the same.
So once you understand how you want to prosecute a battle then you look at what weapons and equipment you need in support of those objectives.
to your father - my gratitude for the service in defence of our nation.

I will look up the geography. Thank you
jaysimha
BRFite

Post by jaysimha »

Cross-border tunnel detected in Jammu, terrorists’ plan to disrupt Amarnath Yatra foiled: BSF
The 150-metres-long tunnel was detected in an area under the Chak Faquira border outpost in Samba on Wednesday evening, BSF officials said.
Written by PTI
Updated: May 5, 2022 12:40:15 pm
https://www.financialexpress.com/defenc ... f/2513708/

---
Really wonder whats happening after so many "smart border management programems""

ex..
https://ficci.in/events/24480/Add_docs/ ... t-2019.pdf

think we should forgo exploring other planets and focus more on our borders..
phew
VinodTK
BRF Oldie

Post by VinodTK »

jaysimha wrote:
phew
100% Agree
k prasad
BRFite

Post by k prasad »

VinodTK wrote:
jaysimha wrote:
phew
100% Agree
Why? That would be exactly what our adversary nations want. To keep us bogged down in COIN. Army, RR & other paramils seem to have things well handled in J&K. And last I heard, ISRO doesn't do much border security.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

VinodTK wrote:Beijing has built 3 cell towers near Hot Springs, say herders
:
:
:
Coming shortly after China completing a bridge on Pangong Tso (lake in Ladakhi), Stanzin said the cell towers at Hot Springs indicates plan to build dual-use infrastructure for settling graziers and may also be enhancing troops. “They are known to launch 4G service wherever there is large troop presence. The dual-use infrastructure can be used by additional troops,” Stanzin said.
:
:
:
These cell towers could be UAV receiving antennas. Some people think the primary reason is that and cell phones is secondary.
Guddu
BRFite

Post by Guddu »

Not sure where to put this...Chinese drone swarm video and article https://www.zerohedge.com/technology/wa ... ing-humans

https://youtu.be/rPul9WKQ6oQ

The drones can also track humansImage
Prem Kumar
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem Kumar »

Very interesting!

We could have a mothership UAVs, which could launch these autonomous drones to hunt for jihadis in the forests near LoC. Same with Maoists too in the jungles of Bastar etc. Even if they are not armed, they could silently track the target, while our SF do their work.

In a future Kargil like conflict, we should be sending armed mini-drones to launch grenades into bunkers, rather than send waves of our men.
ArjunPandit
BRF Oldie

Post by ArjunPandit »

i think there is a significant hype in the current capability...let me simplify it, take these cases as the mileage shown under test conditions...this is not to say that it wont be there.. we will get there in next 10-15 years..but it's not quick to do such calibrations..and easy to fool too...any smart army would put cutouts with their camouflage dresses..also a lot of ELINT monitoring is performed in battlespace..so dont think any such wide signals would be missed..this is not to say they wont be encrypted but a lot of simple counter measures..
Dilbu
BRF Oldie

Post by Dilbu »

BSF shoots down drone carrying heroin along border in Punjab
The Border Security Force (BSF) has shot down a drone coming from Pakistan, which was carrying heroin, in Punjab's Amritsar, said the force on Monday, May 9, 2022. The BSF said it recovered nine packets of heroin from the drone, thwarting a smuggling bid from across the border.

Vigilant BSF troops fired at the drone coming from Pak & brought it down. Drone carrying 9 packets suspected to be #Heroin (10.670Kgs) in a bag were also recovered,” said the BSF (Punjab Frontier) in a tweet.
Vips
BRF Oldie

Post by Vips »

Indian Army to buy 12 more Made-in-India 'Swathi' weapon-locating radars for China border.

In a major boost for the Indian Army on the China front, the force has put up a proposal to the defence ministry for buying 12 Swathi weapon-locating radars developed by the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO).

The Indian Army has initiated this proposal worth around Rs 1,000 crore Swathi WLRs and it is planned to be put for consideration by a high-level Defence Ministry meeting, government sources told ANI.

The weapon-locating radars developed by the DRDO and built by Bharat Electronics Limited had achieved major success and were supplied to Armenia as well. Swathi weapon-locating radars provide fast, automatic, and accurate location of enemy weapons like mortars, shells and rockets within 50-kilometre range. The radars can simultaneously detect multiple projectiles fired from different weapons at different locations.

The Indian Army has been using the radars for its operations along the Line of Control in Jammu and Kashmir. The system was given for trial in the Army in 2018.

New Indian Army chief General Manoj Pande is a major supporter of indigenisation and orders for many types of equipment like self-propelled artillery guns are likely to go to Indian vendors only.

A major push is also expected in small arms also as the planned orders for foreign assault rifles are now going to be given to Indian vendors who have made significant developments in this field.
shaun
BRFite

Post by shaun »

^^ There was this report of IA showing interest in 6 such systems ,some 2 years back , are these above additional orders ??
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Indian Army is moving 6 divisions to the LAC front.
This puts a kabash on any Chinese thoughts of making a quick dash to Tawang of Leh.
News reported in India Today.

https://t.co/ixUbnObgy8?s=09
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Amid the ongoing military standoff with China, the Indian Army has changed the operational tasks of six of its Divisions from Ladakh sector to Arunachal Pradesh and shifted their focus from the Pakistan front towards China.

The Indian Army has been doing rebalancing and realignment of its forces which were earlier more prepared for the Pakistan threat than the challenges faced from the Northern borders.

The situation and deployment of Indian Army troops along the border with China was reviewed by Army Chief Gen Manoj Pande in his maiden visit as Chief to that sector from Thursday.

The military standoff with China has been going on for over two years now when the Chinese side attempted to change the status quo unilaterally by moving troops in large numbers against Indian positions.
(1)
One division from Rashtriya Rifles was taken out from counter-terrorism roles from Jammu and Kashmir and has now been deployed in the Eastern Ladakh sector and would be there along with the 3 Division already based there, top government sources told India Today.
(2)
Down below in Uttarakhand, a Division from a Strike Corps in Haryana has been reassigned to the Central Command to look after the Central sector where the Chinese have been staking claims.
(3)& (4)
To bolster the Northern Command, the Indian Army has also assigned two Divisions of the One Strike Corps to take care of the Ladakh sector as additional or reserve forces. The One (1st)Strike Corps was earlier totally focused on the Pakistan front but now will shift its focus towards the Northern borders.
(5)
To bolster the eastern sector, The 17 Mountain Strike Corps has now been fully dedicated for the eastern areas along the Line of Actual Control and is taking care of the entire northeast. It has also been given one additional Division based out of Jharkhand, the sources said.
(6)
In Assam, the Army has freed up the Division engaged in counter-terrorism operations in Assam and assigned it the role of only looking after the China border.

The Indian Army has made itself balanced in terms of catering for both fronts and is now looking at preparing itself for long term conventional war fighting roles.

The Indian Army has also now sent across a message to the Chinese forces that they would not be able to ever carry out any other unilateral attempt to change the status quo as India is “far better prepared there than ever.”Live TV
All these divisons are already acclimatized.
morem
BRFite

Post by morem »

It would imply though that the Indian army does not consider Pakistan capable of any conventional threats.
A Deshmukh
BRFite

Post by A Deshmukh »

morem wrote:It would imply though that the Indian army does not consider Pakistan capable of any conventional threats.
corollary: It would also imply that we are not planning any offensive against Pakistan at this point of time.
arshyam
BRF Oldie

Post by arshyam »

It also shows how our earlier non-strategy w.r.t. the NE was tying down Army units for CI ops - all we needed was a a proper development oriented approach. This development also spins off better infra for the same Army to move its units - see the number of new bridges that have come up in Assam alone. Sometimes I wonder what our past governments were thinking in leaving this area undeveloped to this extent.
mody
BRFite

Post by mody »

1 RR division being shifted out of CI duty and 1 division in Northeast being shifted out of CI duty. Finally IA is moving away from CI and focussing more on fighting a real war or protecting the border. The division freed up in the northeast, will most likely be involved in patrolling along the McMohan line.
The 17th corp has also been given an additional division, but would have to be seen how integrated it is and the kind equipment that it will be equipped with.
mody
BRFite

Post by mody »

Sela Tunnel to be completed by end of the year. Will provide year long connectivity to Tawang sector.

https://www.msn.com/en-in/news/other/se ... c7a7fc7895
mody
BRFite

Post by mody »

IA is now deploying 4 divisions in Ladakh, 1 division in Uttarakhand, plus the deployment in Northeast. That's a lot of manpower against China. Two strike corps, Mathura based 1st Corp and 17th mountain strike corp, both oriented towards China.
The missing link is now the latest equipment and firepower to go with the manpower. Systems like the ATAGS, Dhanush and Garuda guns, short range missiles like the Prahaar/Pranash and Pralay along with LCH helicopters, armed MALE and HALE uavs and a lot of the indigenous air to ground weapons like SAAW, TARA, G-series glide bombs, RudraM-1/2/3 etc. need to be inducted as soon as possible. Not to mention the most basic, a good assault rifle for the troops.

Thankfully some of the new armoured vehicles for the soldiers from Mahindra, Kalyani and Tata, have been ordered and the road infra is also being rapidly improved. Within the next 2-3 years, the Chinese would be really surprised by the speed with which IA would be able to deploy and come to the LAC, riding on their smart new M4 ityaadi armoured vehicles.
Jay
BRFite

Post by Jay »

mody wrote: Finally IA is moving away from CI and focussing more on fighting a real war or protecting the border.
I do not complete subscribe to this mind set where only big land wars over territory are the only acceptable wars. How is CI in defense of the people and motherland not considered a war and we prepare the armed forces to fight CI effectively?
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

Jay wrote:
mody wrote: Finally IA is moving away from CI and focussing more on fighting a real war or protecting the border.
I do not complete subscribe to this mind set where only big land wars over territory are the only acceptable wars. How is CI in defense of the people and motherland not considered a war and we prepare the armed forces to fight CI effectively?
After 3+ decades of CI in Kashmir, the IA is fully aware of all the strategies that Pakistan will attempt. Infiltration will continue, but the IA will deal with it effectively. The IA has the upper hand in CI Ops in Kashmir. Pakistan is in economic free fall, so insurgency is the most that they can attempt. A two front war can only be effective, if Pakistan has the financial wherewithal to conduct a full scale military campaign. They just don't have the financial resources for it. Better to reorient resources where the greater threat lies.

Ending Article 370 was the best thing that ever happened to Kashmir. She needs to be fully integrated (and will) into the rest of the Indian union.
A Deshmukh
BRFite

Post by A Deshmukh »

Jay wrote:How is CI in defense of the people and motherland not considered a war and we prepare the armed forces to fight CI effectively?
CI is defensive. In our territory.
Army should be planning and preparing for fighting beyond our borders.
bharathp
BRFite

Post by bharathp »

Jay wrote:
From my arm-chair perspective, CI and land war are sufficiently different specializations that require different skill sets/ training.
expecting an army trained fully in CI to also think more strategic in an all out war may not be the best use of our huge army.

CI should be left to para military in my opinion so army is free to focus on land wars.

How many Army CI units will think of getting an ATAGS or an LCH? But the army focused solely on China/TSP would think of getting LCH/Arjun etc in a hurry to be ready.
Jay
BRFite

Post by Jay »

bharathp wrote: From my arm-chair perspective, CI and land war are sufficiently different specializations that require different skill sets/ training.
Fully agree.
expecting an army trained fully in CI to also think more strategic in an all out war may not be the best use of our huge army.
We do not expect an army of more than a million soldiers to cares wholly to CI, but time and time again I see this opinion(amongst arm chair experts) that army handling CI is somehow beneath its capabilities and army should not be catered towards this threat
CI should be left to para military in my opinion so army is free to focus on land wars.
For how long? Let's for a moment say land wars are not in horizon for the next generation or two. Will we still say that army should have no role in CI's? What about border patrolling then when BSF(Para Mil) is tasked towards this?
How many Army CI units will think of getting an ATAGS or an LCH? But the army focused solely on China/TSP would think of getting LCH/Arjun etc in a hurry to be ready.
I do not quiet disagree with you, but I do not agree with the philosophy that an army, especially of our size and threat perception should not have much to contribute towards CI, and should only be focused on major land campaigns.
kit
BRF Oldie

Post by kit »

A Deshmukh wrote:
morem wrote:It would imply though that the Indian army does not consider Pakistan capable of any conventional threats.
corollary: It would also imply that we are not planning any offensive against Pakistan at this point of time.
isnt there another war going on inside pak ., wars are not so black and white