Tejas Mk.1 & Mk.1A: News & Discussions: 04 January 2021

Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Re: Tejas Mk.1 & Mk.1A: News & Discussions: 04 January 2021

Post by Aditya_V »

Large Numbers of Tejas in condensed timeframe will require orders in 100's of numbers to keep all the supplier commitments and capabilities. Its like asking someone to take up an MBBS course for 2 year career. Nobody does that. A lot of water has flown under the bridge and a lot of mistakes have taken place, there is a need to invest in an aviation ecosystem.

Its like its one woman some time to conceive and then 10 months pregnancy to deliver a baby, who will have learn to turn around , crawl and probably be 1.5 years before it can run. You can speed up the process by asking 10 women to share the load.

We give a token order of 20 and then another token order of 20 with no past fighter manufacturing. No private player will take this up.

This is where the Americans, British and Germans show commitment. Before the US had to enter WW2, they had already inducted the B-17. B-24 and design of the B-29 had advanced. The Germans have not ordered a single F-35 but keep their Eurofighter production running, while the British are cutting down of F-35(only B variant VSTOL fighters- 48 nos for carriers have been ordered). The Brits are investing in the Tempest and Germans probably have some plans which are not public.

These countries have aircraft manufacturing ecosystem for a 100 years. The Chinese completely hide their problems while for the Pakis JF-17 is like their Corona virus Vaccine production.

Nobody has answered the how the JF-17 manages without a Splitter plate or variable inlet, I have never seen a BVR missile firing video or aerial refuelling video. Does it have design flaw which means it cannot complete a vertical loop which even 2nd generation fighter like the Mig-21 can do? Yet it has an orderbook of possibly 200-250 aircraft. Somebody in China signed off in it, possibly it was guinea pig design for the J-20 with fixed inlets.

Even in this forum we keep seeing lets acquire those 24 or 38 Eurofighters the Germans or British are retiring. I guess for most acquiring fighter aircraft is like acquiring a new laptop, whereas for the Airforce its more like a Photographer- the new Camera body has to fit will all the existing lenses, flashes and Tripods.

My point the LCA is the only horse we have due to past misdeeds, we need to order it to get the aviation ecosytem running while LCA- Mk2, AMCA, ORCA(TEDBF) are all Developed from the same ecosystem and we kill this forever import ecosystem.
basant
BRFite

Post by basant »

TBH, the dread of a single Tejas crash derailing the programme is no longer valid. That was perhaps true for ADA till maybe a decade ago, not any longer. The frustration here over HAL's repeated missing of deadlines is very valid, especially considering that we almost had a 2-front war. That such a threat did not materialize (thus far) is fortuitous. Criticism does not mean that HAL employees are lazy and TPs are not up to the mark. However, lack of will to recognize, let alone to demonstrate necessary determination to fix the problem(s) seems to be the case. It is a systematic problem where PMO, especially MoD, should have stepped in. That MoD could not even see LCH through (despite the forgotten 'December' deadline) cannot escape notice. Parrikar is deeply missed.

IIRC, HAL delivered 5 against 8 in the previous financial year, which, I think was decent under circumstances. I would hope that efforts are on to mitigate the difficulties to get things back on track. To an outsider like myself, MoD's and IAF/IN's lack of will to see through indigenous equipment is disheartening. Honestly, ACM and IAF seem to be more focused on TC than on Tejas. The Chief was expected to push forward the case, but it seems the plot was lost.
ArjunPandit
BRF Oldie

Post by ArjunPandit »

^^aditya sir most including myself on this forum want tejas to succeed and they are impatient. Your reasons are all valid but the fact remains is that we have two determined enemies sitting at our gates...and we want our nation to be secure. What we are discussing is that could tejas production have been explored had someone been a more proactive? or went the extra mile..as for my understanding things are somewhere in between we trying to replace a desktop vs building/assembling a desktop (HAL/supply line employees). In the end the responsibility lies at HAL as they have been entrusted with it. If there were challenges did they escalate. They are a public company no?
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

basant wrote:TBH, the dread of a single Tejas crash derailing the programme is no longer valid.
It's still an issue. Only after all 123 Tejas are in service, can we slack off, perception wise. The knives remain out for the program.
The scale needs to be understood. A mere 36 Rafale plus spares for a few years and a weapons package cost around $9-10Bn. Replacing the Tejas 80 unit order with a MMRCA would be in the $20 Bn range. That's enough reason to literally cancel the program or delay it citing safety issues if a crash were to (God forbid) occur.
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

About the production numbers in the absence of info, blaming HAL seems unwise. Covid hasnt affected India alone, but the world. Even a small subsystem delay can delay the program unless we stockpile in advance, which we cant - Mk1 and Mk1A will have changes.

Also, Wave 2 in India was vicious. I cant believe how quickly forum members have forgotten the situation was merely a month or two back. There were literally no hospital beds available for the sick in even Bangalore, which has amongst the highest medical infra density in India.

Be a bit patient. Its not like IAF, HAL, MOD, ADA don't know the gravity of the situation.
Yagnasri
BRF Oldie

Post by Yagnasri »

What is needed is a large order. We all agree that there is requirement. Considering our budgetary allocations only more order for Mk1 and Mk2 only makes sense. Both the versions will not be any push overs for lizards and beards. In fact with the weapons we are developing in Bharat they will be formidable and taken on most of the 4th Gen fighters. So why we are hesitating for more orders is beyond for a mango man like me.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

A large order is not going to come. As painful at it is Yagnasri...let us be thankful than an order of 40 Mk1s and 83 Mk1As are confirmed. We will do piecemeal orders, rather than a large order. It is obviously more expensive this way, but perhaps it is to keep the import lobby happy. That is just my guess.
A Deshmukh
BRFite

Post by A Deshmukh »

Rakesh wrote:A large order is not going to come. As painful at it is Yagnasri...let us be thankful than an order of 40 Mk1s and 83 Mk1As are confirmed. We will do piecemeal orders, rather than a large order. It is obviously more expensive this way, but perhaps it is to keep the import lobby happy. That is just my guess.
Large order may also mean large advances. Govt may not have the budget / $s for the advances.
Also, order means contracts, means freezing the specs. we do not want another 200 Mk1A. we want 83 Mk1A, 100Mk2, 100 Mk3, nMk4...and so on.
we may have different engines for different lots. or different radars.
ArjunPandit
BRF Oldie

Post by ArjunPandit »

the same goes for other orders..its not like we got rafale or any other plane for free the cost of a assembly line of tejas is of the order of 1-2 predator/reaper drones...
nachiket
Forum Moderator

Post by nachiket »

Karan M wrote: Be a bit patient. Its not like IAF, HAL, MOD, ADA don't know the gravity of the situation.
I would like to believe that about the MoD, but then I remember that HAL is still waiting for even a token order for the LCH, which would have been immeasurably useful in case of an actual conflict in Ladakh.
basant
BRFite

Post by basant »

+1
ArjunPandit
BRF Oldie

Post by ArjunPandit »

A question, HAL has significant cash and cash equivalents on its balance sheet

https://hal-india.co.in/Common/Uploads/ ... ch2021.pdf

it did try investing money in R&D to compete against pilatus..i wonder why cant it do the same for a few orders.like order/build in advance...it anyways has to do it..yes its a DPSU and works under govt..but if they are being proactive it would put the import lobby in a spot. They can also go markets to raise more money if they want...

BTW IAF stated that they will monitor deliveries closely...i hope should turn around soon..
https://theprint.in/defence/well-monito ... le/598537/
madhavan ji said that deliveries will happen in july they have 4 jets ready..wondering what is the delay..
Prasad
BRF Oldie

Post by Prasad »

Oh please. There is a ramp full of waiting ALHs and you want HAL to park another full of LCHs too?
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Kakkaji wrote:Is there even a prototype of the Mk1A flying yet?
Plan was 18 months after contract signed. But with Covid expect some slip.
fanne
BRF Oldie

Post by fanne »

Or what is needed is perhaps stop these incremental development, freeze the design (but where is MK1A flying to freeze at?) and order parts of all 83 in bulk.
If anyone would listen to me, these are few things I would suggest
1. The R&D budget, team and governance should be separate and have continuous focus. LCA MK1A was needed by us was known for at least 5 years now, sufficient time to modify one of LSP and validate everything. If that process needed buying 2 ELTA-2052 radar off shelf at higher cost so be it (instead of waiting for years to finalize should we be using 2052, in how many numbers, should Jags use it, what bulk order and ToT is needed and then order 2052 and use it to validate MK1A). Another delay is coming when we shift from 2052 to Uttam (unless that program is run fully in parallel, it is running but fully?).
2. The above makes the R&D run several years ahead of real production, mitigating any R&D risks (remember we had 3-6 months delay because the rodome was not sufficient for 2032, few months for gun firing..) All these suddenly add up to few years of delay. All R&D issues. The risk is that, with time and newer developments, the old r&d may not be that useful, but R&D investment will always benefit us, even if some of them never get to production. The other risk is that the vendor may jack up prices after you have used their product in R&D and go for bulk order. That can also be handled through pre contract etc.
2a) We do not have infinite talent in Plane R&D and prod. Completing mk1a r&d by now would have freed these resources to concentrate more on Mk2, TEDBF, AMCA etc.
3. Once frozen, order all aircraft parts in bulk, with deliveries and payment stretched into years. We are doing that with the engines -buying 100 of them (some spares and some for perhaps more sq of mk1a or SPORT or something?). Do that for everything.
4. This tinkering and changing parts every 20 planes will slow the production. Sometime that approach has merit, but we are such short on numbers, we should go for more planes and sacrifice incremental benefits that any change may bring before production end. After that do bulk upgrades in batches to make these incremental changes. There is no hard and fast rule for this point. Equally an argument can be made that do changes as newer tech become available, sacrificing production speed. This brings additional capability and prevent costly upgrade later on. Uttam falls in this category.
5. Changing Uttam in between (changing from 2052) will bring its own set of issues. A radar always works with its own BVR weapon (we have astra and later sfdr) and also EW suite. On EW suite 2052 SCORES BIG. I hope we pay attention to that. In SU30MKI that became an issue
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

fanne, The MK1A design is to be frozen 18 months after contract award.
Please don't build frustration level by not doing research.
RishiChatterjee
BRFite

Post by RishiChatterjee »

(Source:bIRDW) https://mobile.twitter.com/Aerodynamic1 ... 676950018/

DRDO will be integrating indigenously developed Smart Anti-Airfield Weapon (SAAW) onboard LSP Tejas to enhance its capabilities to strike ground targets, trials might begin in the latter part of this year.

DRDO is also reportedly working on EO/IR seeker for a new SAAW variant that will be equipped with an automatic target acquisition (ATA) capability to overcome GPS-jamming, navigation, and target location errors in the engagement of fixed targets.
Pratyush
BRF Oldie

Post by Pratyush »

Instead of giving one large order. Define the program size and give annual orders till the program size is not accomplished. Say for delivery of 18 aircrafts in one financial year.

Till all the aircrafts specified in the program have been delivered. That being the case the financial stress will not be too high in the budget and the producers and subcontractor's also know that their order books will keep getting replenished on an annual basis. Giving enough incentive to build supply chain for the annual production for a minimum number of aircrafts.

Not sure if it can be done in the Indian system.
Pratyush
BRF Oldie

Post by Pratyush »

RishiChatterjee wrote:(Source:bIRDW) https://mobile.twitter.com/Aerodynamic1 ... 676950018/

DRDO will be integrating indigenously developed Smart Anti-Airfield Weapon (SAAW) onboard LSP Tejas to enhance its capabilities to strike ground targets, trials might begin in the latter part of this year.
The single biggest advantage of having an indigenous platform. Munitions can be added as and when they become available.

Now a wish for a new weapon.

1) take the flight control, seekers, warhead system for SAAW.
2) fit it into a modified airframe with a micro gas turbine and fuel for a stand off range of 250 to 300 kms.
3) all up weight of the weapon under 300 to 400 pounds.

Tejas should be able to deploy with 16 of these on quad launchers.

Additionally because the weapon will be using all the interface and the computer system of SAAW. It can be integrated on the platform with minimal effort.

A flight of Tejas on a strike mission should be able to wipe out the PRC long range SAM battery without exposing itself to any counter fire from the SAM.
RishiChatterjee
BRFite

Ignore the LCA, just the missiles... The jet's model is inaccurate, was made when we didn't have proper references. Me & Kuntal are prepping to redo the whole platform soon.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Great job!!!
RishiChatterjee
BRFite

ramana wrote:Great job!!!
This video is totally Neoshot's achievement (https://mobile.twitter.com/Neoshot_1).. He flies with the DCS Battleaxes squadron (https://www.instagram.com/battleaxes_raavan/).

Anyways collectively we're a working to make Tejas present felt positively amongst the fighter-jet enthusiast community online. DCS Mod & fanarts are great way to spread the hype.
Zynda
BRF Oldie

Post by Zynda »

^^Little OT, I am now old enough to have not much spare time to spend on DCS and scale the learning curve (I used to play DCS Flanker 1.x & early 2.x around 15+ years ago) but I still follow DCS development very closely.

Great to see that Tejas is being represented in DCS game albeit it might be in early stages. Just wondering why you guys don't post Tejas Mod on DCS Forums...anyways, great job guys...really heartwarming to see folks like you stepping up to bring Indian content...all the best & thank you.
Maria
BRFite

Post by Maria »

Since you brought up the topic, I thought too should say something brief. Started with the simulators Mig-29 from 1990, then Jane's ATF, A-10 Cuba, Falcon 3.0, F/A-18 Hornet 3.0/Korea before graduating to DCS. I remember raising my father's telephone bills due to playing these games over dial-up connections. Then finally, one day, the harsh reality of life caught up (read work) and I too had to stop :(( .

Those fun days are gone.
RishiChatterjee
BRFite

Zynda wrote:Just wondering why you guys don't post Tejas Mod on DCS Forums...
Thanks but I can't tell you that, because the mod is completely by a few DCS content creators. I don't even play (or have such a PC).

I used to create fanart by doing photo edits (there are some of my works posted in older pages of this thread) which made my primary speciality attention-to-detail of the design... Kuntal used to make models. Seeing some inaccuracies in his work I once approached him with suggestions & following that we started working together... now recently the previous LCA model & some weaponary were given to Neo to use in the mod.

Here's my role in it. The following LCA illustration was made by Praneeth Franklin, we'll use it as sideview to build the LCA.

From there I referred to many photos & created this LIFT side-view (almost 99% accurate, let me know if anyone sees any discrepancy).
I'll be in touch with Kuntal during the modelling days, after which my work is done... The renders & visual are all him. A copy of the model will be sent to Neo for the mod.

I used to pester Indranil on twitter about these & I'm here so that it's easier to ask stuff. :D
VickyAvinash
BRFite -Trainee

Post by VickyAvinash »

RishiChatterjee wrote:

Ignore the LCA, just the missiles... The jet's model is inaccurate, was made when we didn't have proper references. Me & Kuntal are prepping to redo the whole platform soon.
Great job sir
mody
BRFite

Post by mody »

Additional orders for Tejas MK1A for another 1-2 squadrons should be placed with a mandate for HAL to increase the production to 24 aircrafts per year.
This kind of production rate will be required for the MK2 production and also to cater for any export demand that might crop up.

The front fuselage section started coming online from Datamatic only from Nov-Dec 2020 onwards and the 1st center fuselage section from VEM Tech was delivered only in July 2021. The private vendors are only now coming online fully and the production rate can be increased. Previously this was not possible. Thank fully the external sections for the MK1A are set to remain the same as the FOC variant and larger orders can be placed. The internals will change, but an order greater than the 73 single seat variants would really help. Also, what most people overlook is that the order is 73+10 and not 83. 73 single seat MK1A and 10 2-seat trainers to FOC standard. Additional 2 squadrons worth of 1 single seat variants would serve us well.

With a 2 front scenario very much possible, we need higher numbers. Additional 1-2 squadrons of MK1A, plus 2 squadrons of Rafael F4.1, followed by 2 squadrons of Rafael F4.2. Negotiate with France for a 10-15 year payment period from the time of signing the contract with zero percent interest.

Buying 2 additional squadrons of Tejas MK1A, can also save us some of the money that we intend to spend on the Jaguar upgrade.
RishiChatterjee
BRFite

JayS wrote:One more which is sitting on my desktop for quite a while. This is screen grab from AI2017 video that ADA stall was showing. All 1000 ponders...!!

I have a few questions regarding possible configs of Tejas, that the DCS Mod can keep as options (...will have to use a few photos so I don't mind if mods see fit to delete this later on.)

ImageImage
We've have made quite a few artworks of the above 6-bomb Tejas concept I came up with, inspired by that Jaguar's loadout, by merging these following;
The former made no sense to me, as LCA had been tested to carry 2 1000lb-bombs in tandem. So if you are not going to carry drop tanks then why not use the inboard-pylons to the fullest?

Now I have come across at least one depiction of this thing on the latest AI21 ADA Brochure...
But compared to the beauty quoted above, this obviously would be vastly outranged... even with a central tank that it could carry. And 5 bombs are not that different from 6.

So I'm looking for some opinions on whether we should roll with it or is it simply not practical enough (HVT once said Tejas & Jaguar have similar ranges, that's why I'm asking)?
Last edited by RishiChatterjee on 08 Aug 2021 16:33, edited 1 time in total.
jamwal
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by jamwal »

https://theprint.in/defence/tejas-flyin ... ca/710466/

Tejas flying record world’s best, criticism unfortunate, says IAF veteran who first flew LCA
Air Marshal Philip Rajkumar (Retd), who turns 80 Sunday, also became the oldest man to have flown the Light Combat Aircraft Tejas after a flight in February 2020.

“I served in the ADA from 1994-2003, during which I set up the National Flight Test Centre,” the retired officer said, referring to the ADA directorate tasked with Tejas testing.

Speaking to ThePrint, Rajkumar, who has also penned a book on the LCA — Radiance in Indian Sky – The Tejas Saga, co-authored with journalist B.R. Srikanth— said the fighter jet has been the target of a sustained vilification campaign.

Some of the world’s most celebrated fighters — including India’s latest acquisition, Rafale — followed similar development timelines, he said, adding that the criticism directed in Tejas’ direction was “unfortunate”.
According to Rajkumar, the “unfortunate part of the entire Tejas programme was that it was the most criticised project in the world by the media and others”.

Contrary to allegations that the project has been a money-guzzler, he added, a total of Rs 14,293 crore was spent on the development of the Tejas between 1986 and 2020, when the Tejas’ naval version made its first landing on an aircraft carrier.

“It works out to be Rs 400 crore per year. And see what we have achieved with the Tejas programme. We now have a world-class single-engine fighter, and all future projects, including the fifth-generation one, the deck-based twin-engine fighter, and Tejas Mk II, will be based on what we have gained in this programme,” he said.

Asked about the criticism on account of the alleged delay in the development of the fighter, Rajkumar said this was a misconception. “Everybody calculates from 1983, when Indira Gandhi approved the plan to make an indigenous fighter. It was in 1986 that Rs 500 crore was given to carry out the project definition phase,” he said.

“French firm Dassault Aviation was roped in and they were paid a huge sum. They did the job. It was in 1991 when the plan was presented to the government and it was only in 1993 that money was allocated for a technology demonstrator. This was Rs 2,188 crore,” he said.

The date from which the programme’s duration is calculated, he added, should either be when the technology demonstrator flew or when the first payment for the same was made in 1993.

Seeking to compare the Tejas timeline with that of other fighters, Rajkumar said when the Eurofighter project was initiated by the UK in the 1980s, they had already tested a fly-by-wire system (which replaces conventional manual flight controls with an electronic interface) on the Jaguar.
sanjayc
BRFite

Post by sanjayc »

^^ There was nothing "unfortunate" about the criticism of Tejas by the Indian media. It was deliberately being done by journalists who were compromised by arms dealers. The aim was to discredit the LCA program and put pressure on the government for its closure so that imports can continue. Also, exports of Tejas to other countries was seen as a threat to the Western and Russian lobbies. We really need an anti-corruption law for these so-called journalists and have jail terms for publishing paid news, if they don't disclose to readers that what they are consuming is paid news. All these media empires will come crashing down.
RishiChatterjee
BRFite

Other than some grumbling about HAL failing to meet its claim to deliver 4 FOCs in July, I haven't heard any negative thing about Tejas in recent years... Try doing it now & netigens will tear you apart like the do A.A.Mitra, while back then many resorted to India bashing.

And before 2010, lot of the criticism was quite factual. Kaveri stumbled & the 3-legged cheetah had no ASM & BVRAAM, not even EW system.

I remember people directly comparing with Pakistan ordering hundreds of Jf-17 Blk1 that were equivalent to IOC Tejas, but we only 16 & wondering why (although now we will have 83 Mark1A plus LIFTs, while they're planning only 50 Block3... so LCA got that last laugh).
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

sivab
BRFite

Post by sivab »

RishiChatterjee wrote:
So I'm looking for some opinions on whether we should roll with it or is it simply not practical enough (HVT once said Tejas & Jaguar have similar ranges, that's why I'm asking)?
Minor correction, HVT says LCA range is more than Jaguar.

https://twitter.com/hvtiaf/status/1424512590877650946
Harsh Vardhan Thakur
@hvtiaf
I don't know where analysts get their information from. The RoA is more than the Anglo-French Deep Penetration Strike Aircraft (DPSA).
RishiChatterjee
BRFite

I'd write that down as a "yes".. but problem is he does not mention whether the comparison is drawn with internal fuel only, or with the massive droptanks on Tejas (that'll leave only midboard pylibs for bombs).
basant
BRFite

Post by basant »

The earlier posts of HVT on this issue are on page 1, along with some clarifications.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

Absolutely beautiful artwork of No 45 Squadron by this gentleman...

https://twitter.com/Mave_Intel/status/1 ... 18913?s=20 --->
Indian Air Force No.45 Squadron Flying Daggers equipped with LCA Tejas. Artwork by me.

bharathp
BRFite

Post by bharathp »

the optimist in me wants to think aug 15 will show some/all of the ready to fly tejas. i can only hope I guess. any news on the updated timelines? I know this question cam eup many times here.. but the anxiety in me to see this program a success is killing me.
Barath
BRFite

Post by Barath »

https://www.hindustantimes.com/india-ne ... 4-amp.html

Some good info there on mk1A

GE engine deal next week. (17-18 rounds of negotiation over)

Mk1A Preliminary Design over. Critical Design over for some systems like mission computer, digital map generator, digital flight control

AESA radar and EW integration ongoing on Mk1 FOC Tejas to be followed by Mk1A

Negotiation with all suppliers ongoing, target to reduce costs by 15-20% . November 2021 for raw materials purchase.

First Flight March 2022, CEMILAC certification mid 2023, then production. 2 aircraft by 2024 , 8 2025 and batches till 2029 of 14-16/year thereafter

Working with ADA for S/W changes.

60% indigenous content compared to 50% now.

Madhavan says that Mk1A will be the most advanced Tejas to date, and compares the 3 year lead time to deliver favourably with foreign OEMS
Barath
BRFite

Post by Barath »

RishiChatterjee wrote:.. now we will have 83 Mark1A plus LIFTs, ..
I don't think the 10 twin seat trainers ordered with the FOC are the same as LIFT, if that was what was meant

"he design of LCA-LIFT is based on the LCA twin seat airframe & engine. The aircraft will be upgraded & improved to have the ability to replicate the software & avionics of other fighters" . The twin seat trainers will be part of the operational squadron, LIFT will be prior.

Edit: On re-read, I believe that was not what you were saying.