Tejas Mk.1 & Mk.1A: News & Discussions: 04 January 2021

RKumar

Re: Tejas Mk.1 & Mk.1A: News & Discussions: 04 January 2021

Post by RKumar »

MoD/IAF should have ordered another 20-40 LCA in IOC so that IAF would get regular deliveries. These are much better than old junk planes which middlemen are so eager to buy from others to earn hefty commissions.
fanne wrote:Wasn't there some speculation that new software upgrades (along with additional hardware) were being done (further speculation from my side - Derby ER, Astra mk1, SDR etc.) were being carried out. Perhaps IAF thought process is - these birds delayed by months but with the above upgrades is better than these birds delivered/operational few month earlier but without these upgrades).
^ If what you said is true...

First dripping order, plus why IAF would ask for newer integration like - Derby ER, Astra mk1, SDR on MK1 FOC which could delay the deliveries by at least a or two years.... it is a slippery road. How IAF can expect that anyone will be able to hold timelines if goals are lines in the stand and can be redrawn at the fancy of someone.

I would not even accept such changes for MK1A, they have taken 3 years to think before signing the dots. Why change the spec after the ink is dried?

Did we wait for Rafale F4 specs after signing on F3*? We accepted foreign deliveries even before India specific enhancements were done.

No matter which government is at the center - middlemen know how to finger us nicely and get away without any man or material cost.
fanne
BRF Oldie

Post by fanne »

It would be ridiculous to debate/argue a speculation (which can be 100% wrong). But if it were right - there could be merit in it. Two of the biggest lessons learned by IAF after Balakot were 1) Long range AAMs and 2)SDR (software defined radio - not only to exchange voice but data).
IAF has been on buying spree to rectify both - imports and domestic options.

The war is upon us, it can happen tomorrow (in response to TSP terror attacks, there have been many in the last 2 years, thanks God, none of them spectacular enough to warrant IAF use), or Chicom taking its chances in the North. IAF is installing SDR in all fighters (that means pulling them off front line for some x amount of time, making changes and putting them back) on war basis. Similarly long range BVR missiles have been acquired and are being qualified left and right. How urgent it is? Though Astra can meet most BVR needs up to 110Km (leaving only Meteor better than it in range), IAF is stocking up many other missiles of same range from off shore (R-77-1, MICA, Derby ER) as domestic manufacturing cannot make enough of them in time (plus additional benefits - these missile are more matured and have some or other characteristics that make them unique and deadly).

In light of the above, A LCA with just R-77 (no python) and limited range Derby would be at disadvantage against most PAF planes (certainly F-16, Bandar) and PLAAF planes. But a LCA FOC with Derby ER, Astra, SDR (where other planes (SU30MKI) can cue in the missile ) and LCA can fire them while being nearer to the enemy (more protected because of low radar sig) will have upper hand over all PAF planes. If that can be achieved with few months (not years) delay, I would go for that kind of choice.
basant
BRFite

Post by basant »

Tejas has fired Derby a few years back itself and Israel claims that iDerby ER is almost drop in replacement. Even IOC should be able to fire BVR with s/w upgrade and I believe that it must already have been done. LCA already was cleared with Python-5 earlier this year. The first squadron (ideally) should be more than a handful to PAF as on today.
nachiket
Forum Moderator

Post by nachiket »

fanne wrote: But a LCA FOC with Derby ER, Astra, SDR (where other planes (SU30MKI) can cue in the missile ) and LCA can fire them while being nearer to the enemy (more protected because of low radar sig)
Adding an SDR does not provide any such capability (of a second aircraft cueing the missile).
nachiket
Forum Moderator

Post by nachiket »

basant wrote:Tejas has fired Derby a few years back itself and Israel claims that iDerby ER is almost drop in replacement. Even IOC should be able to fire BVR with s/w upgrade and I believe that it must already have been done. LCA already was cleared with Python-5 earlier this year. The first squadron (ideally) should be more than a handful to PAF as on today.
Especially considering that we still have 100+ Mig-21's deployed against the PAF with a rather small Kopyo radar having just a ~50km head on detection range against a fighter sized target. The LCA's radar will be leaps and bounds better and combined with reduced pilot workload, more ergonomic cockpit and carefree handling would come as a huge relief to the pilots who might transition to it.
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

fanne wrote:Indranil, quick question for you. In one of the tweets from HVT on Tejas trainer spine....it has too many antennas, do we know what are those and what purpose they serve? Only public info please. Unknown to public it looks like LCA is adding capabilities. Does it have SAT com capability?
I don't know all of them either. Right after the cockpit is a pitot tube, then IFF antenna. The black one is VHF/FM antenna. I am sure there is a GPS/SATCOM antenna in there too.
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

supply chain has has been badly hit by COVID. They are trying to get rollouts going from August again.
Prem Kumar
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem Kumar »

I have a bit of a hard time understanding this Covid excuse. Its wearing thin.

When Elon Musk, Bezos, Branson, NASA, the Chinese etc all can continue with their space and military programs, why this tardiness on our side? Not just HAL, but I noticed this with ISRO too.

We have no shortage of vaccines for critical sectors: as a priority, all personnel of DRDO, ISRO, the PSUs, Tier-1, 2 and 3 suppliers can be given mandatory, free vaccination and asked to resume work. Just like doctors & the military were identified for priority vaccination, the above should have happened by now.
ks_sachin
BRF Oldie

Post by ks_sachin »

Prem Kumar wrote:I have a bit of a hard time understanding this Covid excuse. Its wearing thin.

When Elon Musk, Bezos, Branson, NASA, the Chinese etc all can continue with their space and military programs, why this tardiness on our side? Not just HAL, but I noticed this with ISRO too.

We have no shortage of vaccines for critical sectors: as a priority, all personnel of DRDO, ISRO, the PSUs, Tier-1, 2 and 3 suppliers can be given mandatory, free vaccination and asked to resume work. Just like doctors & the military were identified for priority vaccination, the above should have happened by now.
But DRDOs or HALs suppliers are not on the critical list. HAL can have two shifts simultaneously on the prod lines but if the sub-assemblies don’t come then?
ArjunPandit
BRF Oldie

Post by ArjunPandit »

I dont think if there is a will at the top from IAF/MOD/GOI vaccines cant be given..given the economic situation, people would be happy to get vaccinated...If not wrong armed forces have already been given vaccination..
Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya_V »

Vaccines are available possibly from Feb 2021, what about Mar 20 to Feb 21, 11 months sub assemblies and production would have some effect, easy to dismiss in hindsight, Covid would have had some impact.
vcsekhar
BRFite

Post by vcsekhar »

ArjunPandit wrote:I dont think if there is a will at the top from IAF/MOD/GOI vaccines cant be given..given the economic situation, people would be happy to get vaccinated...If not wrong armed forces have already been given vaccination..
Defense service officers were given the vaccine pretty early in the cycle. As I remember it, a few of my friends already had their 2nd dose before I had got my first dose (45+ early May). But, I was told that there was a priority and spouses were not included initially.
The forces were very worried about covid ravaging through barracks and family quarters.
ArjunPandit
BRF Oldie

Post by ArjunPandit »

Aditya_V wrote:Vaccines are available possibly from Feb 2021, what about Mar 20 to Feb 21, 11 months sub assemblies and production would have some effect, easy to dismiss in hindsight, Covid would have had some impact.
some states had 10-15% wastage..yes easy to dismiss in hindsight no question about it but a little proactiveness from the part of the folks and govt would have helped.
brar_w
BRF Oldie

Post by brar_w »

Prem Kumar wrote:When Elon Musk, Bezos, Branson, NASA, the Chinese etc all can continue with their space and military programs, why this tardiness on our side? Not just HAL, but I noticed this with ISRO too.
Many global defense projects have had to overcome COVID related issues and build in delays. Some got impacted more than others and it also dependent on where the pandemic took a greater toll and how much those programs were exposed to these things (having suppliers in hard hit areas for example). Lockheed Martin missed its 2020 F-35 deliveries by 21 units, and will miss its originally planned 2021 deliveries by a similar amount. In fact they will barely recover to 2019 delivery levels by end of 2021 and get to the originally planned 2022 levels only in 2024 more than 2 years late. SAAB was late delivering fuselage sections to Boeing for the T-X aircraft adding about 4 months to that program. Many smaller programs have had similar challenges and with some it will manifest in the future because of how those programs are/were structured.
Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya_V »

Please also bear having not built Fighters before unlike Lockheed martin, we have a very small pool of people who actually know the nuts and bolts of putting the Tejas together. HAL cant exactly risk this talent- unfortunately this is where years of imports have put us in. If we had say built a 100-150 Tejas by this time , we would have enough people who know how its done to train others. Right now we have a very small pool of people who know how to do it and have experience in building the Tejas.
Vivek K
BRF Oldie

Post by Vivek K »

So if that is the case - shouldn't HAL personnel working on the Tejas have been secured with vaccines and other facilities to allow them to function in the interest of National Security? This is a complete failure to plan and threatens the future of the program and national security.
kit
BRF Oldie

Post by kit »

Vivek K wrote:So if that is the case - shouldn't HAL personnel working on the Tejas have been secured with vaccines and other facilities to allow them to function in the interest of National Security? This is a complete failure to plan and threatens the future of the program and national security.
The Army prioritised and got supplies in time for all defence personnel way in time., don't know about DRDO , and well not about HAL either., i suppose the onus is on the management to take proactive steps to mitigate any issues., the issues and implications of not being vaccinated were well known early on. Are there any open-source documents showing that was indeed the case? Wont be surprised if it was not.
ks_sachin
BRF Oldie

Post by ks_sachin »

Vivek K wrote:So if that is the case - shouldn't HAL personnel working on the Tejas have been secured with vaccines and other facilities to allow them to function in the interest of National Security? This is a complete failure to plan and threatens the future of the program and national security.
Vivek in our disfunctional system HAL may be vaccinated but it’s critical suppliers are not vaccine critical. So supply chain problems. You do remember that all sub assemblies have been contracted out.
JMT
Vivek K
BRF Oldie

Post by Vivek K »

Perhaps then we should place orders with Chengdu for the LCA? I mean this is a failure at several levels - and shows the enemy how our system can be crippled in the future as well.

We are our own worst enemies. While not a single LCA has been delivered in the past 6 months(??), the Rafales have been popping up in a timely manner. What does that show? And how do our enemies interpret that?
brar_w
BRF Oldie

Post by brar_w »

Vivek K wrote: We are our own worst enemies. While not a single LCA has been delivered in the past 6 months(??), the Rafales have been popping up in a timely manner.
Dassault has been producing the Rafale for more than 13 years and the French Air Force willingly deferred its orders so that Dassault could prioritize export customers. Imagine if they had been simultaneously significantly expanding production rate while also dealing with COVID fallout (this would have happened if the French AF would have stuck to its delivery timelines and Dassault forced to further increase production rates to account for foreign customer schedules). While they probably did a better job than HAL or MOD in managing their supply chain from the effects of COVID, we are still not comparing apples to apples here.
Vivek K
BRF Oldie

Post by Vivek K »

So Brar - you think the situation is acceptable? You state that Dassault did a better job than HAL/DRDO/MOD though HAL is less experienced in LCA production than Dassault in Rafale production.

I hope that we end up learning from this - vendor development has taken a new meaning in this era. We must do a better job. And setting up these piddly little lines is a big blow. Yes we must learn to walk before we can run but HAL has been producing aircraft for over 50 years. HAL has demonstrated what happens when we fail to plan.
ArjunPandit
BRF Oldie

Post by ArjunPandit »

the question boils down is if people are held accountable for the deliveries or the no.s they have committed too..
brar_w
BRF Oldie

Post by brar_w »

Vivek K wrote:So Brar - you think the situation is acceptable? You state that Dassault did a better job than HAL/DRDO/MOD though HAL is less experienced in LCA production than Dassault in Rafale production.
What I am saying is that a program and supply chain/suppliers into its 22nd year (or more) of production will be more resilient to disruptions to parts of its supplier base when compared to another program that is just getting started (production), is still doing development, and likely also scaling some or most elements of its supply chain. So while it is not acceptable, it is also not worth comparing to a more mature production program.
Vivek K
BRF Oldie

Post by Vivek K »

Understand. All I’m saying is that HAL has been producing aircraft for a while and should know it’s supply chain better.we must ask more of it and ask it to behave better than the competition.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

Vivek K wrote:Understand. All I’m saying is that HAL has been producing aircraft for a while and should know it’s supply chain better.we must ask more of it and ask it to behave better than the competition.
HAL has only been doing license production of aircraft. Key components (radar, turbofan, etc) of the aircraft are shipped from overseas and HAL is doing assembly or also known by its colloquial term on BRF ----> screwdrivergiri. Su-30MKI, Jaguar, Hawk are good examples.

The Tejas is one of few examples, in which they are actually producing aircraft. The latter production run of the Mk1A will feature the Uttam AESA versus the Elta AESA on the earlier production of the Mk1A.

There is a world of a difference between the two - producing vs screwdrivergiri. There is a massive learning curve that HAL (and the Tier 2 and Tier 3 suppliers) have to do. It cannot be learnt in a few weeks or months.

And with the Tejas, HAL will transition (if not already) to final assembly. The Tier 2 and Tier 3 suppliers are doing the actual production. But even assembly requires skill. The Mk1A production line build on the lessons learnt from the Mk1 production line. The Mk2 production line will build on the lessons learnt from the Mk1A production line. And so on and so forth.

But no one could have predicted the damaging effects of COVID. Stuff happens. That is life. You learn from it and move on.
Vivek K
BRF Oldie

Post by Vivek K »

Look - screwdriver giri or not, HAL has been here before. It has manufactured the Marut from scratch, the Ajeet from the Gnat, and license manufactured Migs, Jags, MKIs - the latter with deep TOT and a domestic supply chain.

HAL must look at this and learn to be better or else it will strengthen the import lobby!
Kakkaji
BRF Oldie

Post by Kakkaji »

If HAL delivers the promised 4 Tejas FOC aircrafts by the end of this month, it will be the first time it would meet a declared deadline. But I doubt this will happen. There are only 3 days left till the end of this month. :(

Right now I am not even thinking about the Mk2 MWF, TEDBF, and AMCA projects. Just deliver the Mk1 FOC, and the Mk1A on some kind of a regular schedule please.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

Vivek K wrote:Look - screwdriver giri or not, HAL has been here before. It has manufactured the Marut from scratch, the Ajeet from the Gnat, and license manufactured Migs, Jags, MKIs - the latter with deep TOT and a domestic supply chain.

HAL must look at this and learn to be better or else it will strengthen the import lobby!
Do you remember, the HDW 209 submarine deal? Two out of the four boats were built in India. Once the construction of those two boats were complete....those workers then sat idle, then they finally retired and some have even passed away. A new set of workers had to be taught anew for the 6-boat Scorpene deal. That was one of the reasons for the long delay of the first Scorpene boat.

So the aircraft that you are talking about - the Marut and the Ajeet - were actually produced by HAL in the 60s and 70s. That workforce is likely all dead by now. Unless, we develop a magic potion called the elixir of youth, they are going to die. That is the law of life. So that skill set is lost and has to be learnt all over again.

You Sir - of all people - should be aware that there has been nothing called deep TOT ever in India. What has only occurred - with the Gnat, the MiGs, the Jags and the MKIs - is TOP (Transfer of Production). TOT and Deep TOT is laughable, not by you...but by the politicos that claim it is. And the domestic supply chain can only function, when key components of the aircraft (radar, turbofan) are brought in lock, stock and barrel from videsh. No turoban and no plane will fly. What is the point of the domestic supply chain then?
Kakkaji
BRF Oldie

Post by Kakkaji »

Is there even a prototype of the Mk1A flying yet?
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

Or or two of the LSPs are being converted to the Mk1A standard for flight testing. IR will know more.

HAL has to deliver the first batch by 2023. At this stage, all we can do is hope.
nam
BRF Oldie

Post by nam »

I don't know what HAL intends to change in MK1A (other than the main ones). however the only major missing piece is the external SPJ.

The initial batch will have 2052, so it will be Debry BVR. The next batch will be Uttam, so Astra will be the primary BVR. So Astra integration is a must, which happen soon.

Other than this, I have no clue what does HAL intend to better. Whatever it is... we need an "offical" MK1A version flying soon. HAL would need to complete flight testing atleast 10 months before the 1st production MK1A i.e. by May 2023!
Vivek K
BRF Oldie

Post by Vivek K »

Rakesh - I am extremely disappointed that HAL has not delivered even 50% of commitment. Look at the post above questioning further developments. Is that what we want? We want HAL to be better organized. It may be time to consider what options are available to achieve that.

Or else we will never have a domestic MIC. The import mafia will use this as ammunition against domestic production.
Vips
BRF Oldie

Post by Vips »

Show me one democratic or free country which has developed a Public Sector driven MIC. Not one. In a totalitarian country the babus of Public sector deliver fearing the Gulag or a bullet in the head.

It is time we do wholesale privatization of the Shipyards, HAL and OFB. We cant even fathom the benefits of such a move and the value it will unlock.
Kakkaji
BRF Oldie

Post by Kakkaji »

Vips wrote:Show me one democratic or free country which has developed a Public Sector driven MIC. Not one. In a totalitarian country the babus of Public sector deliver fearing the Gulag or a bullet in the head.
From 1947 till 1991, India was a democratic and 'free' country (except during the 2 years of emergency 1975-77) in the political sense, but it was nowhere near a 'free' country in the economoic sense.

For those of you who were born after 1991, the economy before that was basically a public sector economy. Allowing private sector defense companies to come up was unthinkable during Nehru/ Indira era.

Indian economy under Nehru/ Indira got the worst of both worlds, no market competition, and no fear of Gulag. Hence no performance.

HAL is a product of that culture. :(
Kakkaji
BRF Oldie

Post by Kakkaji »

Rakesh wrote:Or or two of the LSPs are being converted to the Mk1A standard for flight testing. IR will know more.

HAL has to deliver the first batch by 2023. At this stage, all we can do is hope.
If a prototype of Mk1A is not even flying yet, I don't see how they will deliver a production unit in 2023.

Won't the Mk1A have to go through flight trials, and IOC/ FOC, before it is approved for production?
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

I am frustrated by this delay as well. I don't want to sound like a HAL apologist but I am also at a loss for the comparisons being parried here. Is large parts of America under a lockdown? Even when it is not, it is difficult to buy a car, truck, lumber etc.

Also, HAL cannot work as SpaceX, LM, Boeing even if it wanted to. Even when its engineers know a COTS component to buy that is perfect for their development, they have to wait for at least 9 months for everything to clear. What to do.

I don't know why all of you think that people who are at PSUs are without ambition!
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

Thank you IR for setting the record straight. Greatly appreciated. You once indicated that you want to contribute more in the forum. Please do, because it will help to clear the air…especially on the Tejas and other local programs.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

Kakkaji wrote:If a prototype of Mk1A is not even flying yet, I don't see how they will deliver a production unit in 2023.

Won't the Mk1A have to go through flight trials, and IOC/ FOC, before it is approved for production?
I could be way off the mark here, but I don't see the Mk1A going through the entire gamut of trials like the Mk1 did. But IR or someone else will have to confirm. My limited understanding tells me that only components will have to get tested and validated - on a Tejas platform - which to me is basically the radar. There are some structural differences with the Mk1, but I don't believe it requires revalidation. So when HAL states that the first batch of Mk1As will arrive in three years of contract signature (which has already occurred), that is entirely plausible.

Below is from page 1 of this thread....

Year-Over-Year Tejas Production

• 2015-16: One
• 2016: Two
• 2017: Three
• 2018: Six
• 2019: Four
• 2020: Two
• 2021: Four to Date

See how the production numbers improved from 2015 to 2018? Caveat - These numbers all reflect the first flight dates. That is how it has been calculated. But taking a look at these numbers at face value....what took HAL one entire year to produce two aircraft in 2016...now that same HAL made six aircraft in 2018. So the production numbers have obviously increased. The increase in numbers clearly reflect the learning curve.

But one can argue...that the numbers dipped in 2019, when it should have increased in 2019. So why did that happen? Well the four aircraft in 2019, represented the last four of sixteen IOC variants. The next batch of 16 aircraft (for the second squadron) are all FOC aircraft. So I am assuming there were some planning or discussions held for the FOC variants which perhaps caused some delay. Again, IR can confirm.

Then in 2020, COVID hit and HAL barely churned out two FOC aircraft, but in the first half of 2021...four FOC aircraft have flown. And when I say COVID hit, does not necessarily mean that every one in HAL caught COVID, were bed ridden and waiting for oxygen cylinders. But the lockdown in 2020 caused a ripple effect not just at HAL, but also at suppliers at the Tier 2 and Tier 3 stage. As an integrator, how do you assemble a plane when your parts are not there?

IR put it best ---> "HAL cannot work as SpaceX, LM, Boeing even if it wanted to." Now these numbers may not make us jingos happy. But HAL does not function or operate on satisfying us jingos on BRF. That is not their metric. They have an order for 83 Mk1As and how they do it, is up to them. They have to deliver.

The choice in 2020 was either have no lockdown and let a large percentage of the population die or impose a lockdown. If you were the PM, what would you do? Not directed at you Kakkaji....but easy to make decisions in hindsight, because talk is cheap. But it is next to impossible to plan for every possible eventuality. Nothing or nobody functions that way.

Tomorrow a giant octopus or zombies crawling from under the ground could destroy the Tejas production lines. What do you do? So while, these out-of-the-world theories may seem foolish....then consider this ----> if you told me in 2018, that in the year 2020...a virus was going to cause a massive global pandemic and a few million people in India will die as a result of this virus. That the Indian (and global) economy would come to a crashing halt. That there would be a nation wide lockdown. That everyone would wear a mask when out in public. That more than 100+ HAL employees will die. If you told me all this in 2018, I would have a good laugh. But now we know - in 2021 - that is exactly how it played out.
Vivek K
BRF Oldie

Post by Vivek K »

Rakesh - you're making planning sound more difficult that it actually is. Remember, Chinese aggression has not slowed down. How long can we hide behind the excuse of we're Chankiyan or like that onlee? Some day our work culture has to define professionalism and we need to reach the finish line first.

Is there any info on when deliveries will start?
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

Vivek, we are not delivery groceries here. This is a modern, fourth generation aircraft. This is a complex machine. You are comparing Dassault who is delivering Rafales at a statistical average of two aircraft per month....while HAL is taking painfully slow with Tejas deliveries.

You are well aware of how strong the import lobby is, so please humour me this question...

1) If one Rafale crashes, would the import lobby be eager to continue the induction of the Rafale?

2) If one Tejas crashes, would the import lobby be eager to continue the induction of the Tejas?

You already know the answer to that question :) Let them iron out and address the issues, that is more important than hitting the numbers. If you want to see the Tejas fleet be a sizeable number, then let HAL do its job. The production is picking up with the FOC variants, but it will take time. Let us see how HAL does with the 83 Mk1A order. That is where we can measure their production performance. Right now, all we are doing is going back and forth on BRF, with no concrete solution.

What you are proposing - inducting a large number of Tejas in a condensed time frame - is just not going to happen. No matter how you slice it, that will not occur Sirjee. In the same vein, neither will 114 MRFA arrive in a condensed time frame either. Even a follow on deal for 36 Rafales - if signed today - will take three years for the first batch of deliveries. Unless the French Air Force is again willing to sacrifice her aircraft (on the production line) for India. That remains to be seen in the absence of a deal.

Someone (perhaps it was IR) commented that deliveries are commencing this year. The first six FOC aircraft have already flown and 12 more FOC are waiting for their first flight. By 2022 end (or earlier), all 18 FOC should have completed their first flight. Two full squadrons of 16 single seaters each and with eight twin seaters coming in next. Then comes the 83 Mk1A order starting in 2023.