Tejas Mk.1 & Mk.1A: News & Discussions: 04 January 2021

AkshaySG
BRFite

Re: Tejas Mk.1 & Mk.1A: News & Discussions: 04 January 2021

Post by AkshaySG »

Rakesh wrote:I call BS on these tweets....mainly the first one...

https://twitter.com/defence_in/status/1 ... 08465?s=20 ---> The High Staff of IAF discussing which jet will replace the MiG-21bis in the No. 51 Squadron, Sword Arms.

1. The MK1 FOC, but lack of AESA became spoiler

2. Then MK1A was weighted

3. And now Rafale from the follow on batch being considered.

Hardly think lacking AESA would be a spoiler when the squadron is currently flying 60 year old jets ... If anything they would welcome the advancements with open arms . The only "spoiler" one could say is that the AF pilots are still experimenting with the Tejas and trying to build all the SOPs and combat mission scenarios that are necessary for a squadron based in Kashmir but that is a temporary thing

Maybe Mig29's could act as a buffer for a couple of years as the Mk1A comes but apart from that there is no other jet more suited to take over Bison's role than the Tejas

Rafale even if more come would go to the existing AFB's of Gwalior and Hasimara since a lot of money was poured into making both Rafale ready
bharathp
BRFite

Post by bharathp »

RishiChatterjee wrote: I believe they'd do it anyway. A TejEx was on table for a while, an export friendly model like Jf-17 inherently is.I'll hazard a guess that will integrate everything we have to it... French/European, Russian, Israeli, Desi so that it can be exported to any country irrespective of affiliations.
the US sold aircraft to argentina despite the embargo by UK as per wiki.
would the US allow the chinese aircraft in its "sphere" so to speak?

also - if it were for me, I would position tejas as "we can fit any equipment from any country so long as its not chinese"
Vivek K
BRF Oldie

Post by Vivek K »

AkshaySG wrote:

https://twitter.com/defence_in/status/1 ... 08465?s=20 ---> The High Staff of IAF discussing which jet will replace the MiG-21bis in the No. 51 Squadron, Sword Arms.

Hardly think lacking AESA would be a spoiler when the squadron is currently flying 60 year old jets ... If anything they would welcome the advancements with open arms . The only "spoiler" one could say is that the AF pilots are still experimenting with the Tejas and trying to build all the SOPs and combat mission scenarios that are necessary for a squadron based in Kashmir but that is a temporary thing

Maybe Mig29's could act as a buffer for a couple of years as the Mk1A comes but apart from that there is no other jet more suited to take over Bison's role than the Tejas

Rafale even if more come would go to the existing AFB's of Gwalior and Hasimara since a lot of money was poured into making both Rafale ready
Spot on Akshay! When you compare the safety record of the two aircraft, every IAF pilot would lean towards MK1 LCA. But if we want to kill .......[insert your favorite peeve here], the Rafale at 4 times the price works just as well.
KSingh
BRFite

Post by KSingh »

Hamara Tejas | Episode-06

I really underestimated the modernity of the manufacture and design of the LCA, under its skin it's a thoroughly modern piece of equipment.

Quadruplex FBW was known but it has Quadruplex redundancy for even the hydraulics and electrical systems

Brake and nose wheel steering by wire! I always assumed it was a hydraulic link between the pedals and the landing gear.

It's not worthy of mention but it's the way this game is played- compared to the JF-17, LCA is totally in a different class. JF-17 is made and designed to methodology from the 1970s (and earlier), it is a souped up MiG-21 at most. LCA from the ground up has been designed as a 21st century machine and ADA/HAL having mastery of these design elements puts them on a very strong base for future projects.
KSingh
BRFite

Post by KSingh »

The IAF really are cheeky(/spoiled), they haven't even had AESAR on any of their jets before 2019 and even today it's only on 2 SQNs and they are using the as a way of marking down the LCA MK.1 FOC?

If this was such a crippling issue maybe they should have spec'd an AESAR on the MiG-29UPG or moved sooner on the Super Sukhoi upgrade
Vivek K
BRF Oldie

Post by Vivek K »

^^^ [Clap Emoji][Clap Emoji]
Adminullah please to be adding clap emojis for SDREs!!
nachiket
Forum Moderator

Post by nachiket »

KSingh wrote: The IAF really are cheeky(/spoiled), they haven't even had AESAR on any of their jets before 2019 and even today it's only on 2 SQNs and they are using the as a way of marking down the LCA MK.1 FOC?

If this was such a crippling issue maybe they should have spec'd an AESAR on the MiG-29UPG or moved sooner on the Super Sukhoi upgrade
The claim is made by a random twitter handle quoting some anonymous user of a forum. I see no reason to give any credibility to them and actually assume that this is what IAF commanders are thinking. There is only one other aircraft in IAF service which can fit in those HAS in Srinagar. And that is what will have to replace the Bisons there.
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

Both posters of that DFI group are trying to con random folks by posting provocative BS as Rakesh and Nachiket have correctly pointed out.

The IAF has spent over Rs 12K crore in payment to Dassault for ground support equipment, and has spent over Rs 400 Cr for base infra to manage the Rafale at two bases, Ambala and Hashimara. That's it. Additional two squadrons will also go to those two bases. At wartime, flights may be posted to other squadrons for periods - but peacetime, the main two bases are the ones mentioned.

IAF has to budget for 10 drones (around $1 Bn), lease additional IFR, order two more Phalcons, order 21 MiG-29s and 12 Su-30s, fund Su-30 upgrade all these over existing liabilities. Meanwhile, IAFs committed liabilities include yearly payments for the S-400, MRSAM, Akash, Tejas, C-295, existing order of Rafale (almost over though). Will soon include the Sky Guardian, Igla-S. Remember we were behind by 20-30% of our committed liabilities, and emergency purchases would have already added more orders to the above pipeline - spares, munitions, stuff we dont even know about. That will use up the "extra funds" allocated per the budget (in FY2021-22 and FY2020-21) over previous years.

Its very unlikely IMHO a new Rafale deal will be signed in FY22 (ends March 2022) or even through most of FY23, perhaps second half. At best, we will see another 36 batch and another thereafter - only *after* IAF can get the money from GOI. For the Rafale, a follow on 36 unit order,the expenses will be around a $ billion upfront and then, the remaining amount of around 4.5 times that over 3-4 years for all the aircraft. IMHO the 114 MMRCA is also a gone case - its a pipe-dream, and thankfully so, given the absurd amounts required.

The MiG-21 Bison squadrons will transition to the Tejas.

With the Tejas, the IAF can take the risk of forward deployment as well. Its built in-house, and per unit costs are 45% of that of the Rafale.
And AESA radar? Are they bloody joking. The Tejas MMR is far superior to what's there on the Bison. And is around 80% of that of the other topline Mech MMR equipped frontline IAF fighter in raw performance, and is actually superior in several ways. Please don't believe such random claims.

With 32 squadrons, the IAF Is going to extract every inch of performance from the Tejas. Will be deployed frontline. HAL should overdeliver on the Mk1A and get some units ready earlier than predicted.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

Karan M wrote:Both posters of that DFI group are trying to con random folks by posting provocative BS as Rakesh and Nachiket have correctly pointed out.
I saw that first tweet and almost fell out of my chair laughing.

Just extrapolating that tweet to its logical conclusion ---> Air HQ is discussing which aircraft should replace No 51 Squadron's MiG-21s. Air HQ cannot make up her mind. So many choices (Mk1, Mk1A and Rafale)...which to choose???

Oh wait, let us ask DFI. Because we obviously have no clue :roll: :lol:
RishiChatterjee
BRFite

Post by RishiChatterjee »

DFI has like 5-7 posters who post good info (most of which i cross-post here). Kindly ignore any others.

bharathp wrote: also - if it were for me, I would position tejas as "we can fit any equipment from any country so long as its not chinese"
+1 :idea:

We need to present a TejEx like this, with every bloody thing we own displayed before it!.. I'd even go as far as having option to mount Rd-33/93 on it. Like the old days....

RishiChatterjee
BRFite

https://twitter.com/RishiChatt/status/1 ... 0411489285

Very similar moves.. Pleased to see it didn't do them any better than Tejas!

KSingh
BRFite

Post by KSingh »

https://twitter.com/_devildog_mm_/statu ... _&ref_url=

7th in the air means 8 and 9 are close to engine runs. At this rate I think HAL will still miss their March 2022 target, they'll likely deliver 10-12 FOC by then. all 16 by June/July (best case). 3-4 month delay can fairly by attributed to COVID, just hope there's no impact on the MK1A development.

When are we going to see Np-5 and the Mk.1 trainers flying/rolled out? Weird that these other airframes have gone missing
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Courtesy : InNortherneron9-DFI.

https://twitter.com/defence_in/status/1 ... 46882?s=20 ---> And of all the MiG-21 squadrons, the replacement for the 51's is most critical due of the theatre it's located.

Courtesy : InNortherneron9-DFI.

https://twitter.com/defence_in/status/1 ... 97734?s=20 ---> The problem is can't stretch the hardened air shelters in AFS Srinagar to fit a Rafale's in it.

Courtesy : Okabe Rintarou-DFI.
Looks like a dilemma at a lunch buffet line!
YashG
BRFite

Post by YashG »

Karan M wrote:HAL should overdeliver on the Mk1A and get some units ready earlier than predicted.
yes, for sake of the nation. Accelerate Mk1A & we can.
RishiChatterjee
BRFite

KSingh wrote:When are we going to see Np-5 and the Mk.1 trainers flying/rolled out? Weird that these other airframes have gone missing
https://idrw.org/lca-navy-mk1-np5-train ... st-flight/
Vicky
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Vicky »

Karan M wrote: .
My prediction: One of the reason No45 and No18 are going to stay at Sulur is the lack of an IAF owned trainer a/c. They are currently relying on the solo ADA/HAL trainer LSP at BLR for training and assessment of pilots. The moment the first 1 or 2/few trainers that are currently in production get delivered to IAF's control, either 45 or 18 or both are packing and moving(along with the trainer a/c's) to either Srinagar or any of the frontline Bison bases and the Bison sqns sent back to rear guard. Sulur will likely remain a training/conversion base for converting squadrons for Mk1A and beyond. Will also depend on how many Derby's IAF has in stock, number is likely low as number of LUSH Harriers was small and hence IN stock transferred to IAF is also likely to be small and some might have EOL'd. It's better if IAF already ordered replenishments but that won't be public info or they might wait for Astra.
KSingh
BRFite

Post by KSingh »

YashG wrote:
Karan M wrote:HAL should overdeliver on the Mk1A and get some units ready earlier than predicted.
Question is if IAF is ready to accept MK1A deliveries early, it's rumoured that the current FOC deliveries are being delayed as IAF is not accepting them, they have done similar things with ALH in the past when HAL made them ahead of schedule.

Does the IAF have the requisite infrastructure and human capital ready to accept the Mk1A early? Theres a reason why 36 months to first delivery is the standard contracted period for these large deals- it's what Dassualt provided down to the month for Rafales. Why hold HAL to a different standard and create unrealistic expectations on them? They'll deliver 36 months after the contract was signed. IF IAF wanted them earlier they could've ordered them sooner, they spent about 2 years dithering on whether to order the 83 birds.
KSingh
BRFite

Post by KSingh »

RishiChatterjee wrote:
KSingh wrote:When are we going to see Np-5 and the Mk.1 trainers flying/rolled out? Weird that these other airframes have gone missing
https://idrw.org/lca-navy-mk1-np5-train ... st-flight/
Sweet
KSingh
BRFite

Post by KSingh »

@ t=312s
To buttress my point above- first deliveries will be completed on time T0+36 months- that is the standard and that is what HAL is working to

added detail- mid 2022 is their target for the first MK1A test bed to fly.
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

Vicky wrote:
Karan M wrote: .
My prediction: One of the reason No45 and No18 are going to stay at Sulur is the lack of an IAF owned trainer a/c. They are currently relying on the solo ADA/HAL trainer LSP at BLR for training and assessment of pilots. The moment the first 1 or 2/few trainers that are currently in production get delivered to IAF's control, either 45 or 18 or both are packing and moving(along with the trainer a/c's) to either Srinagar or any of the frontline Bison bases and the Bison sqns sent back to rear guard. Sulur will likely remain a training/conversion base for converting squadrons for Mk1A and beyond. Will also depend on how many Derby's IAF has in stock, number is likely low as number of LUSH Harriers was small and hence IN stock transferred to IAF is also likely to be small and some might have EOL'd. It's better if IAF already ordered replenishments but that won't be public info or they might wait for Astra.
They can actually send the squadrons forward and retain a training detachment at Sulur if that's the case. The IAF is not going to keep two literally current tech aircraft behind while it has to make do with 30-40 yr old Bisons on the front lines. For weapons, IAF has Rs 300 Cr emergency purchase order authority now. It can and will top up the Tejas with I-Derby ER, the same missile that's due on the Flanker H as well. Astra will also be added in due course of time.
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

KSingh wrote:
YashG wrote:
Question is if IAF is ready to accept MK1A deliveries early, it's rumoured that the current FOC deliveries are being delayed as IAF is not accepting them, they have done similar things with ALH in the past when HAL made them ahead of schedule.

Does the IAF have the requisite infrastructure and human capital ready to accept the Mk1A early? Theres a reason why 36 months to first delivery is the standard contracted period for these large deals- it's what Dassualt provided down to the month for Rafales. Why hold HAL to a different standard and create unrealistic expectations on them? They'll deliver 36 months after the contract was signed. IF IAF wanted them earlier they could've ordered them sooner, they spent about 2 years dithering on whether to order the 83 birds.
Given the squadron shortage right now, the IAF will take all the Tejas it can. Its desperate to. There won't be any conspiracy not to take any Tejas - if they are pending formal handover, it means the checkout process discovered some issues to be fixed (common in all such complex platforms) or they need some more verification. The IAF has been in a near war sort of setup for almost two years now. It's juggling pilots, airframes etc.
basant
BRFite

Post by basant »

In response to the query, "Are Tejas aircraft too parked in the open? Have proper sheds & bomb proof shelters been erected for them?"
They're mostly operating from forward bases, from Blast pens.
Source: https://mobile.twitter.com/hvtiaf/statu ... 1854938114
pushkar.bhat
BRFite

Post by pushkar.bhat »

Please correct me if I am speaking of a HARAM topic - but Lots of noise about supplying the Egyptian Air Force with Tejas specially after the announcements by HAL Chief during the Dubai Air Show. Yet No Talk on this forum. Shouldn't we ask them to first deliver on the orders at hand. Chairman HAL is indicating he will setup a factory in Egypt. I notice that Egypt Air Force's requirement 100 is larger then the confirmed orders from IAF.

What is however more interesting is that the clock has come a full circle - remember how Marut as also supposed to get inducted into the Egyptian Air Force to they showing interest in Tejas.

Also was intrigued by the commonality of platforms between IAF and Egyptian Air Force.
RishiChatterjee
BRFite

RishiChatterjee wrote:https://twitter.com/RishiChatt/status/1 ... 0411489285

Very similar moves.. Pleased to see it didn't do them any better than Tejas!

Can't timestamp here... So please follow the DFI links to my posts.

I promise to make your day!!! :D

https://defenceforumindia.com/threads/l ... st-2083650
https://defenceforumindia.com/threads/l ... st-2083660
https://defenceforumindia.com/threads/l ... st-2083664
hemant_sai
BRFite

Post by hemant_sai »

If Tejas deal for Egypt is true then there is potential to go for Tejas Mk1B - for export purpose at least.
It will have Tejas MWF airframe and GE 414 engine.
But rest of avionics and features of Mk1A.

If Canards based flight computer testing going to take too much time then even Canards option can be removed.
So if such a proto is tried in parallel to MWF proto, it will be available by 2025 for customer demo.

Advantages over Mk1A -
Better Aerodynamic performance, Better T/W ratio, Much Better Range, Endurance and Maintenance.

Why so?
This export version could be offered way cheaper than actual MWF and it will be ready earlier than MWF.

So countries looking for potent fighter close to medium weight category and affordable will surely go for it.

So though IAF may not ink the deal by 2026 for MWF but there will be orders coming for Mk1B by 2026.
Pratyush
BRF Oldie

Post by Pratyush »

The biggest hurdle for major export sucess is the lack of domestic engine.

Because we will be permitted to export the aircraft only in case the engine providers agree.

In case of Malaysia, Egypt, this may not be of any concern. But for others it might become a big issue.
basant
BRFite

Post by basant »

hemant_sai wrote:If Tejas deal for Egypt is true then there is potential to go for Tejas Mk1B - for export purpose at least.
It will have Tejas MWF airframe and GE 414 engine.
But rest of avionics and features of Mk1A.
That would be LCA Mk2B and it can't be before LCA Mk2. Airframe certification itself will take several years.
hemant_sai
BRFite

Post by hemant_sai »

Sorry but I don't find it logical.
If I provide same features and systems of Mk1A into slightly bigger frame - why it can't be Mk1B?

I am not even asking for Uttam radar or cockpit changes.
Neither mission computer changes.

Related to timeline, MWF can be ready for production in 2026 but this Mk1B can't be ready for customer demo by 2025?
basant
BRFite

Post by basant »

For comparison, Gripen E flew first in 2017 instead of expected 2016 and is now expected to have IOC in 2023. I wouldn't expect much difference with Mk2 which is a similar case. Similar story with Deby VS I-Derby ER induction, which is supposed to be a drop in replacement.

Internal configuration changes always happen, starting from TD 1 to LSP models. That's not where the challenge is.
YashG
BRFite

Post by YashG »

hemant_sai wrote:Sorry but I don't find it logical.
If I provide same features and systems of Mk1A into slightly bigger frame - why it can't be Mk1B?

Related to timeline, MWF can be ready for production in 2026 but this Mk1B can't be ready for customer demo by 2025?
Canards bring in some aerodynamic advantages that tejas can dig into but it cudnt due to its size. So canardless larger tejas will not be able to take full advantage of being bigger. Some very old posts did discuss this iirc.
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

We dont have the manpower, the funding and infrastructure to come up with yet another new program in between five existing ones. Tejas Mk1A, Tejas SWIFT, Tejas MWF, TEDBF and AMCA. Add to this the Su-30 Upgrade, the UAS programs, the SWIFT/Ghatak - we can think of a Mk1B etc only later.
AkshaySG
BRFite

Post by AkshaySG »

You have a new airframe and a new engine..
That's pretty much most of the MWF program right there anyway in terms of expenditure, configuration and testing requirements.

You're not saving much but instead introducing another complex project into an already overstretched environment.
For what?.. Some potential orders that may or not come?

Better to showcase the Mk1A as the export variant and then give the option of country specific enhancements when a firm order is given.

If Egypt gives an order of 100 birds then we'll happily come up with a Tejas-E for them with the bells and whistles they would like

But if not then I'd rather not derail the very pressing needs for the IAF for nothing
hemant_sai
BRFite

Post by hemant_sai »

I agree that whole hearted efforts must be put only after firm orders.
But at least having on paper proposal ready including design part done - will be better proactive efforts.

If sufficient interest is shown, HAL can be in position to deliver in 3 years.

I am assuming Mk1B will be 40-50$ mn range to offer for export. This moderate range will be USP for export success.
RishiChatterjee
BRFite

Holyshit. Times really are changing! I don't know which to be shocked more by, HAL doing back to back Tejas pitch or an Air Marshal confirming IRDW story. :rotfl:

https://idrw.org/tejas-lift-to-be-offered-to-egypt/
https://twitter.com/PKRoyIAF/status/146 ... 274054656/

TLDR: HAL to offer Tejas trainer variant 'LIFT' to Egypt

So far, three countries have shown interest in the HAL Tejas — Malaysia, Argentina, and Egypt. After Dubai airshow HAL team will go to Cairo, for talks with the Egyptian Air Force officials about possible sale of LCA-Tejas. R Madhavan has said that “Idea is to manufacture Tejas by setting up a factory for them over there” hinting at talks could be over large orders that the Egyptian Air Force might be considering.
Egyptian Air Force plans to retire its Chinese-made 100 K-8E trainer aircraft for which it has evaluated the Leonardo M346 Master, the Korea Aerospace Industries/Lockheed Martin T-50 Golden Eagle, and the Irkut/Rosoboronexport Yak-130 along with Czech-built Aero L-39NG trainer which is an upgraded version of the Aero L-39 fleet that Egypt already operates.
ashishvikas
BRFite

Post by ashishvikas »

Eye on export markets, Tejas debuts in Dubai for audience in Malaysia, Argentina and Egypt

By Ajai Shukla (Business Standard)

https://www.ajaishukla.com/2021/11/eye- ... n.html?m=1
ks_sachin
BRF Oldie

Post by ks_sachin »

hemant_sai wrote:I agree that whole hearted efforts must be put only after firm orders.
But at least having on paper proposal ready including design part done - will be better proactive efforts.

If sufficient interest is shown, HAL can be in position to deliver in 3 years.

I am assuming Mk1B will be 40-50$ mn range to offer for export. This moderate range will be USP for export success.
Do you realise what the effort that is required for a design that is prod ready?

Why should HAL spend time and effort on a design that is going nowhere?
VinodTK
BRF Oldie

Post by VinodTK »

Hamara Tejas | Episode-07 | Promo

basant
BRFite

Post by basant »

Is there any update on the final weight of the Mk1A? Initial reports quoted (ambitious) 800-1000 kg reduction. Was wondering if there is any update on that.
RKumar

Post by RKumar »

VinodTK wrote:Hamara Tejas | Episode-07 | Promo

Build quality and smoothness of Tejas is better than Hema malani‘s gaals. I remember people crying that all TD and lsp are hand build and fault tolerance is huge... what a Great change!!!
rajsunder
BRFite

Post by rajsunder »

Hamara Tejas | Episode-07